PDA

View Full Version : Elway likes Tim Tebow pick for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2010, 04:00 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=138173&catid=339 (video on link)

WESTMINSTER - Denver Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway told 9NEWS Tuesday morning he thinks Tim Tebow can play quarterback in the NFL and he likes what Head Coach Josh McDaniels did in the NFL draft.

Elway shared his thoughts on the Broncos' first round draft pick with 9NEWS Sports Anchor Susie Wargin prior to the second round of the Colorado Golf Association Four-Ball Championship at Legacy Ridge in Westminster.

"He's got the potential, he won at the college ranks, and won the Heisman, so there is talent there, there's a want there," Elway said. "I think we have a great competitor so that gives us hope."

The former Broncos quarterback was also quick to point out the success McDaniels had coaching New England Patriots quarterbacks Tom Brady and Matt Cassel.

But Elway says Tebow should not be the only measure of this draft.

The Broncos traded Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler in exchange for draft picks that were used on two wide receivers and three young offensive lineman, so only time will tell if Coach McDaniels made the right decisions.

Elway believes McDaniels has the ability to teach and ultimately coach Tebow at the NFL level.

Elway and Tebow have yet to meet face to face but No. 7 has communicated with No. 15.

"We've text back and forth, so he did text me when he came in town, which I thought was pretty neat, so I'm looking forward to meeting him and if I can help in any way, I'm more than glad to," Elway said.

T.K.O.
05-04-2010, 04:08 PM
if it's cool with "big john" it's cool with me....does it sound like ol' #7 is tryin' out for the qb coach position?

Softskull
05-04-2010, 04:10 PM
I see Elway says "potential", "Heisman", and "competitor", but I didn't see him say he liked the Tim Tebow pick.

Lonestar
05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
We could do worse than having the duke chat with the kids and get some insight.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2010, 04:19 PM
I see Elway says "potential", "Heisman", and "competitor", but I didn't see him say he liked the Tim Tebow pick.

Denver Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway told 9NEWS Tuesday morning he thinks Tim Tebow can play quarterback in the NFL and he likes what Head Coach Josh McDaniels did in the NFL draft.

Softskull
05-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Denver Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway told 9NEWS Tuesday morning he thinks Tim Tebow can play quarterback in the NFL and he likes what Head Coach Josh McDaniels did in the NFL draft.

Carol, you're putting words in The Great Ones mouth. I like what the coach did in the draft but still dont like the TT pick. I like Elway also think that TT has potential, a Hiesman and a great competitor.

SOCALORADO.
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
"Elway also said he was a bit suprised by the texts from Tebow asking Elway if he could help him acclimate to the NFL, and was happy to learn that Tebow doesnt think he has a bigger, stronger arm than Elway, along with a bigger ego and attitiude.
I'm also happy to know that Tim wont be in a box seat at an AVS game getting hammered on jack and cokes all night by himself, said Elway."

Oh thats good news.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Carol, you're putting words in The Great Ones mouth. I like what the coach did in the draft but still dont like the TT pick. I like Elway also think that TT has potential, a Hiesman and a great competitor.

Didn't you read the thread I posted about John Elway loving the pick on facebook? Or are just trying to troll and accuse Carol, probably the most highly regarded poster on the board of putting words in his mouth? Talk about Tebow all you want, don't come in here accusing people of bullshit you just made up.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2010, 04:35 PM

You might want to listen to the video on the link. The article does not contain everything that was said.

Lonestar
05-04-2010, 04:36 PM
You really have to listen and see the video as the text only portion lease a lot out.

John sounds like he would like to come in and be involved.

But he was adamant that the other draftees this year and next have to produce also.

Medford Bronco
05-04-2010, 04:38 PM
I am the biggest Elway fan but he loves all of our picks.

Wasnt Cutler the best at the time. I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15015203

Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway told 9NEWS this morning he thinks Tim Tebow can play quarterback in the NFL and he likes what coach Josh McDaniels did in the draft.

"I think we have a great competitor so that gives us hope," Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway said of rookie quarterback Tim Tebow. "It's gonna take a little bit of time, but I think he'll battle his way in there and hopefully get in the thick of things quick."

He added: "He's played in big games. You can't teach experience."

Of the NFL draft, Elway said: "Anytime you trade veterans away like they have, and you get draft picks, you gotta be good getting those draft picks."

Elway shared his thoughts on the Broncos' first round draft pick with 9NEWS Sports Anchor Susie Wargin prior to the second round of the Colorado Golf Association Four-Ball Championship at Legacy Ridge in Westminster.

"He's got the potential, he won at the college ranks, and won the Heisman, so there is talent there, there's a want there," Elway said. "I think we have a great competitor so that gives us hope."

Softskull
05-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Didn't you read the thread I posted about John Elway loving the pick on facebook? Or are just trying to troll and accuse Carol, probably the most highly regarded poster on the board of putting words in his mouth? Talk about Tebow all you want, don't come in here accusing people of bullshit you just made up.

FFS, lighten up. I'm not sure what I've made up, or what I've accused anyone of. I enjoy most of Carol’s post, this one is no exception.
I'll make it a point of reviewing all your post especially if they’re as riveting and rational like this one.

Softskull
05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
You might want to listen to the video on the link. The article does not contain everything that was said.

Thanks, will do later. No sound on this computer.

BroncoBJ
05-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Glad to see Elway likes Tebow. :elefant:

After he liked Griese, Plummer, Cutler, and Orton ... I had a slight feeling that he might like Tebow. :elefant:

weazel
05-04-2010, 04:46 PM
In related news, John Elway loves lamp.

Northman
05-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Wow, John said something positive about the team. Im truly shocked.

T.K.O.
05-04-2010, 04:57 PM

what is he supposed to do to show his approval ?
tell everyone the kid is a "sure fire hall of famer" and "should win multiple superbowls in his first 5 years in the league"?
of coarse he will qualify his statements with words like hope and potential.....he's not a dummy and knows it's a long hard grind to find success in the nfl !
but he does say the kid is a proven winner and thinks he has a bright future.
geez louis:rolleyes:

Medford Bronco
05-04-2010, 05:06 PM
tell everyone the kid is a "sure fire hall of famer" and "should win multiple superbowls in his first 5 years in the league"?
of coarse he will qualify his statements with words like hope and potential.....he's not a dummy and knows it's a long hard grind to find success in the nfl !

I think Elway can say good things but not go overboard like he did with Griese, Plummer, Cutler and now Tebow

just a small speck in Massachusetts humble opinion:lol:

The Glue Factory
05-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Have you noticed that Elway is ALWAYS complementary of the Broncos and the coaches in Dove Valley? I get the feeling that John would rather be left alone whenever there's a coach or QB change at Broncos HQ.

T.K.O.
05-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Have you noticed that Elway is ALWAYS complementary of the Broncos and the coaches in Dove Valley? I get the feeling that John would rather be left alone whenever there's a coach or QB change at Broncos HQ.

i get the feeling he's in shock that they hav'nt offered him a job.
as far as I know anyway....he seems like a perfect fit for qb coach or asst. to oc ? something dammit !
just having him on the sidelines would make the team want to live up to the glory days !:elefant::beer::salute:

Softskull
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM

Really, what has Elway said here about Tebow that is different than anytime some jams a mic in his grill and questioned them about a Bronco player? He may love, like or hate the pick, but there's no way to tell because he didn't say. With Elway you always get the "he's a great athlete", "great talent", or "should be successful" etc. He did the same here. You can read it however you like, but Elway never said he liked the pick. But he never does, he just speaks positively about it. He's still the ultimate team guy. I think him not coming out and saying "I love this pick" speaks volumes.

T.K.O.
05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Really, what has Elway said here about Tebow that is different than anytime some jams a mic in his grill and questioned them about a Bronco player? He may love, like or hate the pick, but there's no way to tell because he didn't say. With Elway you always get the "he's a great athlete", "great talent", or "should be successful" etc. He did the same here. You can read it however you like, but Elway never said he liked the pick. But he never does, he just speaks positively about it. He's still the ultimate team guy. I think him not coming out and saying "I love this pick" speaks volumes.

so if he always says the same thing? how does this "speak volumes"?:confused:
double -speak much ?

broncobryce
05-04-2010, 05:48 PM
You know how it goes. If someone doesn't agree, its not true, but if they do, it is true.

Softskull
05-04-2010, 05:52 PM
so if he always says the same thing? how does this "speak volumes"?:confused:
double -speak much ?

Since this was the Elway likes Tebow pick thread, you just might think he would have said so. Like I said, he may love Tebow, but he hasnt said, it just the usual Broncos Good sound bite. Having finally viewed the video, he did say that the pick was "a bit of a gamble, but they looked at it as a risk worth taking". That sounds like a reservation to me.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/john.elway.tim.2.1674813.html - video on link -

Count John Elway as a big fan of Tim Tebow. In fact, the former Broncos quarterback thinks the future Broncos quarterback could one day be beloved in these parts just like himself.

"I think there's a connection already with Tim Tebow and the way he's acted, come in answered with the media, the type of person he is. He fits perfect into this community," Elway said. "I think that's why everyone is excited about him because they kind of feel like you know he's the next son of Denver. That's how I felt when I came in."

That's a huge endorsement from the original son of Denver. Elway spoke at length on Tuesday about Tebow and the Broncos after competing in the Colorado Golf Association 4-Ball tournment in Westminster. And while the two quarterbacks have never met, they have already communicated.

"When he did come in town, he texted me. So I texted him back and said welcome to town and looking forward to meeting him."

Elway is also looking forward to seeing Tebow play for the Broncos. Although he doubts that will be as the starter in 2010.

"I think they're going to give him a chance to sit back and learn the system," Elway said. "They've got two veteran quarterbacks in Kyle and Brady that have played. I think they're going to let them battle it out and the best of those two be the starter."

But that doesn't mean Tebow will only be holding a clipboard once the season gets going. Elway believes his success in college, especially around the goal line will get put to good use by the Broncos.

"He adds that dimension that they didn't have. There's a lot of things he can do. Short yardage situations, he's done it so often in college, so I think there's a lot of different things they can do with him."

T.K.O.
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Carol ! he said "could" that means he is just doing lipservice to the team and does'nt really mean any of it !:mad::lol:

Northman
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
LOL. And God has spoken.

Softskull
05-04-2010, 06:27 PM
I've read it. I've watched it. Elway is excited for Tebow. I get it.

I agree with Elway, that someday the future Broncos quarterback could one day be beloved in these parts just like himself. Tebow is one charming kid. Hell, I may love him already.

But here's what Elway didn't say. "I like the Tebow pick for the Broncos". That's all I'm saying. Highlighting the writer of the article wont change that. Big John may like the pick, but no quote here or on his facebook page confirms that.

Northman
05-04-2010, 06:31 PM
John believes in Jay too.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4777400

Softskull
05-04-2010, 06:35 PM
John believes in Jay too.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4777400

How do we get this guy, Jay Cutler. He sounds great!

T.K.O.
05-04-2010, 06:44 PM
How do we get this guy, Jay Cutler. He sounds great!

yeah...sounds great but in the clutch?....not so much !:laugh:

GGMoogly
05-04-2010, 06:57 PM
I bet Billy Blanks wishes he'd have invented "Tebow" instead.

http://img.youtube.com/vi/TnZQfUf6k74/0.jpg

GGMoogly
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
:listen: The way I heard it...

John admitted to taking part in experiments where DNA was transferred from his right arm to Tebow's left. He said he had wanted to do it ever since he joined the Tim Tebow Fan Club back in 1999 (He saw Tim's potential.) He's also stated his unrequited love by getting a Tebow tattoo (a Tetoo) on his left butt cheek!

That's what I heard, anyway...

Tned
05-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here's a video interview that the article was based on:

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=70790@kcnc.dayport.com

tomjonesrocks
05-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Not to change the topic, but what on earth was John hawking vodka a few days ago on Facebook for? Has he fallen on hard financial times?

rcsodak
05-04-2010, 10:17 PM

Hater.

/thread

:coffee:

BroncoBJ
05-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but here's a video interview that the article was based on:

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=70790@kcnc.dayport.com

Yea, there was a video posted on the very first post in this thread :lol:

But never hurts to have it more then once. I tend to watch stuff more then once anyways. :elefant:

sneakers
05-05-2010, 05:22 AM
This is probably really old news, but this is from John Elway's facebook:

So what do I think about the Tim Tebow pick? I think Tim's a high character, competitive, proven winner. Those are all attributes you want from the leader of your football team. Tim will have to adapt to Josh’s offensive system, which is quite different from the offense he ran in college. Tim has the smarts and work et...hic to do it though. Welcome to town Tim, Denver is great place!!

Softskull
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Hater.

/thread

:coffee:

Ah, another thoughtful RC response. Thank you, you've been very helpful.

So what is it that I'm hatin'? I love Elway. I'm a fan of Carol. I like Tebow.

Ah, I found it. I hate crappy journalism. I saw this same title cackled by Bill Williams on ESPN.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
This is probably really old news, but this is from John Elway's facebook:

Yeah it's old news, I posted a thread about it last week. :lol:

titan
05-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I was listening to Vic and Gary's show this morning and Lombardi said Elway has had lunch with McDaniels a couple of times in recent months. I know when McD first came to town he didn't meet Elway for a long time.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall to hear that lunch conversation.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
I was listening to Vic and Gary's show this morning and Lombardi said Elway has had lunch with McDaniels a couple of times in recent months. I know when McD first came to town he didn't meet Elway for a long time.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall to hear that lunch conversation.

lol I'd take Elway over Ben McDaniels anyday as QB coach!!

broncofaninfla
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm glad Elway likes Tebow but I'm more intrested in our current starter Orton.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm glad Elway likes Tebow but I'm more intrested in our current starter Orton.

That's true, players have praised Coach McD for not favoring any position, group or player and for coaching everybody the same amount, hopefully that continues.

DenBronx
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Sir Elway has annointed and dubbed thee O mighty Tebow with the powers of the great #7.

May the legacy continue....:salute:

Skacorica
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM
As my grandfather used to say; "In the name of the father and the son and the holy spirit, Amen. And God bless John Elway."

T.K.O.
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
and my grandfather used to say "dont get old....your balls hurt alot when your old":shocked:

honz
05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I never knew my Grandfather and now I wanna cry. Thanks guys.

T.K.O.
05-05-2010, 04:37 PM
and they say this guy has to work on mechanics ?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d817e1939_gallery_600.jpg

but what about THIS guy......:laugh:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d817e170b_gallery_600.jpg

honz
05-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Mel Kiper says Clausen is NFL ready even though he was average in college.

TXBRONC
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d817e1939_gallery_600.jpg

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d817e170b_gallery_600.jpg

Two months ago Tebow's throwing motion was different than it is today. He has said on several occassions that he's changed it.

Northman
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM

Oh well, since you cleared up all that i guess there's nothing left to talk about. :lol:

Oh my.

Ravage!!!
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Mel Kiper says Clausen is NFL ready even though he was average in college.

Everyone that dissected the football players, said Clausen was the most NFL ready QB in the draft. Not just Kiper.

horsepig
05-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Anh earlier thread asked-"Don't forget Snake."

I thiought this thread would be about Ken Stabler. Instead it was about Plimmer's devotrion to some pretty cool volunteer work.

That said, does anybody beside Titan remember the "Snake" Stabler?

Sidearm delivery, I'm sure he had other "deficiencies", he just won games.

Elway had a lot of "bad tendincies", but won the big games.

Elway;'s biggest attribute was his WILL to win.

titan
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Tebow's even converting the infidels! Saw this on twitter:

@souza777: I'm a Raider fan but I'm getting a #15 jersey!!! Go Tebow!!

Lonestar
05-06-2010, 12:39 AM

I thiought this thread would be about Ken Stabler. Instead it was about Plimmer's devotrion to some pretty cool volunteer work.

Elway's biggest attribute was his WILL to win.

I hated the first snake as he killed us for a long time every time we played them.

DenBronx
05-06-2010, 02:25 AM

Elway;'s biggest attribute was his WILL to win.

Elway was going to find a way to win no matter what. That is why he is the best 4th quarter QB of all time. Not only did he have all the talent, he was also a leader and showed alot of heart. It all starts with the team captain and I think Tebow has that same type of will to win that Elway had.

That's purely speculating from his college career though.

arapaho2
05-06-2010, 05:53 PM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/6093/batmandiabolical.jpg (http://img11.imageshack.us/i/batmandiabolical.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)