PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Quinn in quarterback derby too

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2010, 08:29 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15011078

He is the man in the middle before the Broncos have run a single play in training camp.

He is not the incumbent, the one coach Josh McDaniels has proclaimed "our starter." That's Kyle Orton. He is not the first-round phenom with a bevy of satellite trucks in tow, livening up any slow news day. That's Tim Tebow.

No, this is Brady Quinn, who appears to be the odd man out in the Broncos' quarterback derby.

"Everybody wants to play, no matter what the position," said Quinn, for whom the Broncos traded in March. "Of course I want to play. Of course I want to start. Nobody wants to sit on the bench. I want to play. I want to be the quarterback."

With Tebow's ballyhooed arrival and Orton's status as the returning starter, Quinn's offseason addition to the Broncos' roster has been pushed into the background. But he wants a shot to prove he can be the man. He declares himself healthy from a foot injury that put him on injured reserve to close the 2009 season with Cleveland.

While Orton just reached his first calendar year in McDaniels' offensive system, Quinn has experience with the playbook, having played for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. McDaniels has called Weis his mentor.

And having gone through the circus that was the Browns' quarterback contest, Quinn said he's not fazed by the open competition here.

"If you're a quarterback in the NFL and you don't want to be the starter, you're not going to be in the NFL for long, I promise you that," he said. "But every room in the building is filled with people that want to play. That doesn't mean we can't work together. It just means we all want to play."

Said McDaniels: "I'm just looking for a guy that can affect his teammates and make them better, and our quarterback did that last year and hopefully we'll have more than one that can do it this year too."

For Quinn, that will mean shaking off a frustrating tenure with the Browns, who made him the 22nd overall pick in the 2007 NFL draft. Quinn never separated from the competition in Cleveland to be the unquestioned starter. He needs to improve his accuracy, having never completed as much as 54 percent of his passes, as well as his decision-making, with nine interceptions and 10 touchdowns in 12 career starts.

Those are not the kind of numbers he envisioned through three NFL seasons.

"But without a doubt, I'm a better quarterback now as I move forward," he said. "Even though I didn't play my first year, I learned a ton. You learn by yourself a lot, how to adapt quickly and change, how to do what the coaches are asking. I have a lot of good football in me and I'm now in a system I'm very comfortable in, that I know in a place where I can compete. That's all you can ask for as a player."

Footnote.

The Broncos signed free-agent wide receiver Dicky Lyons of Kentucky on Monday and waived rookie running back Chris Brown of Oklahoma.

Dirk
05-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Unless Quinn can unseat Orton as the starter this year, I think he will never be a starter again unless he goes elsewhere.

claymore
05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
I hope Quinn lights it up and Orton is traded before the season is started.

TXBRONC
05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15011078

Broncos' Quinn in quarterback derby too
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/04/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

He is the man in the middle before the Broncos have run a single play in training camp.

He is not the incumbent, the one coach Josh McDaniels has proclaimed "our starter." That's Kyle Orton. He is not the first-round phenom with a bevy of satellite trucks in tow, livening up any slow news day. That's Tim Tebow.

No, this is Brady Quinn, who appears to be the odd man out in the Broncos' quarterback derby.

"Everybody wants to play, no matter what the position," said Quinn, for whom the Broncos traded in March. "Of course I want to play. Of course I want to start. Nobody wants to sit on the bench. I want to play. I want to be the quarterback."

With Tebow's ballyhooed arrival and Orton's status as the returning starter, Quinn's offseason addition to the Broncos' roster has been pushed into the background. But he wants a shot to prove he can be the man. He declares himself healthy from a foot injury that put him on injured reserve to close the 2009 season with Cleveland.

While Orton just reached his first calendar year in McDaniels' offensive system, Quinn has experience with the playbook, having played for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. McDaniels has called Weis his mentor.

And having gone through the circus that was the Browns' quarterback contest, Quinn said he's not fazed by the open competition here.

"If you're a quarterback in the NFL and you don't want to be the starter, you're not going to be in the NFL for long, I promise you that," he said. "But every room in the building is filled with people that want to play. That doesn't mean we can't work together. It just means we all want to play."

Said McDaniels: "I'm just looking for a guy that can affect his teammates and make them better, and our quarterback did that last year and hopefully we'll have more than one that can do it this year too."

For Quinn, that will mean shaking off a frustrating tenure with the Browns, who made him the 22nd overall pick in the 2007 NFL draft. Quinn never separated from the competition in Cleveland to be the unquestioned starter. He needs to improve his accuracy, having never completed as much as 54 percent of his passes, as well as his decision-making, with nine interceptions and 10 touchdowns in 12 career starts.

Those are not the kind of numbers he envisioned through three NFL seasons.

"But without a doubt, I'm a better quarterback now as I move forward," he said. "Even though I didn't play my first year, I learned a ton. You learn by yourself a lot, how to adapt quickly and change, how to do what the coaches are asking. I have a lot of good football in me and I'm now in a system I'm very comfortable in, that I know in a place where I can compete. That's all you can ask for as a player."

Footnote.

The Broncos signed free-agent wide receiver Dicky Lyons of Kentucky on Monday and waived rookie running back Chris Brown of Oklahoma.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

I don't think the quote from McDaniels about Orton making his teammates better is accurate because of the actions he's taken this off season as well as his comments about there competition the quarterback position.

Btw does anyone know if Brandstater has been released yet?

Dirk
05-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I have a lot of faith in Quinn unlike some here. I think he could be a very good QB in the NFL. I believe he has had a raw deal since coming into the league.

However, I think Orton will be much better this year being the 2nd year in the system. I think Orton will have close to if not a pro bowl season.

claymore
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I have a lot of faith in Quinn unlike some here. I think he could be a very good QB in the NFL. I believe he has had a raw deal since coming into the league.

However, I think Orton will be much better this year being the 2nd year in the system. I think Orton will have close to if not a pro bowl season.

All we can do is hope. I dont think Orton felt very threatened by Simms last year. I hope it is a very competitive camp.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-04-2010, 09:55 AM
This is pretty much his last chance to play pro football.

TXBRONC
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM

I don't if McDaniels really believes Orton made his teammates better considering his actions and him also saying that there is competition even at the quarterback positions. If nothing else Quinn is under impression that he will get a chance to compete for the starting position.

Does anyone know if Brandstarter has been released? I think it inevitable that he will be sent packing it's just a matter of when.

SOCALORADO.
05-04-2010, 09:58 AM
I hope Quinn lights it up and Orton is traded before the season is started.

I actually think this is the most likely scenario for Orton.
He showed he can manage a game to an extent last year, and hes an adequate back up, who can come in and run a offense somewhat successfully, but i think Qwinn could have done everything he did last year if not more, with the same offense.
Considering the QB situation with a # of teams, and the always dreaded pre-season injuries to players, i think he'll be traded before the regular season.
DEN will have a 2 QB sweepstakes during the run up to preseason which will really heat up by the last game of the preseason between Tebow and Qwinn.
Brandstater will be #3.
:2cents:

TXBRONC
05-04-2010, 10:04 AM
He showed he can manage a game to an extent last year, and hes an adequate back up, who can come in and run a offense somewhat successfully, but i think Qwinn could have done everything he did last year if not more, with the same offense.
Considering the QB situation with a # of teams, and the always dreaded pre-season injuries to players, i think he'll be traded before the regular season.
DEN will have a 2 QB sweepstakes during the run up to preseason which will really heat up by the last game of the preseason between Tebow and Qwinn.
Brandstater will be #3.

I don't if Brandstater will even make it to camp.

SOCALORADO.
05-04-2010, 10:11 AM

Why not? He'll be the only QB left over by default!
What is MCD going to do, leave Orton at #3? And drop Brandstater?
No way, Orton has a bit of trade value, he'll just rape a team in desperate need of a QB, and there's already a few shaping up right now.
I dont think orton stands a chance against either Qwinn or Tebow.

claymore
05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Brandstater will be #3.
The best case scenario is if Orton accets playing backup in Denver. He will be a backup wherever he goes might as well be here.

I was hoping to wake Topscribe up with my outlandish comment!

shank
05-04-2010, 10:12 AM

sad truth, had higher hopes for the guy. but there just isn't a lot of reps for a 4th QB...

SOCALORADO.
05-04-2010, 10:28 AM
The best case scenario is if Orton accets playing backup in Denver. He will be a backup wherever he goes might as well be here.

Well, between Qwinn and Tebow thats the starter and backup, and having orton as the #3 i guess could work. But if a team needs a QB that can operate a offense and manage a game like say BUF where they have 3! really good RBs and might just try to win games through clock management, i think they might come calling.
I dont think Orton stands a chance in DEN as even the back up #2 anymore though, and if MCD can hold a teams feet to the fire, and get a nice pick for him, even better!

TXBRONC
05-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Why not? He'll be the only QB left over by default!
What is MCD going to do, leave Orton at #3? And drop Brandstater?
No way, Orton has a bit of trade value, he'll just rape a team in desperate need of a QB, and there's already a few shaping up right now.
I dont think orton stands a chance against either Qwinn or Tebow.

Someone will get the ax Socal and just like it will be Orton, Quinn, and obviously Tebow. Besides I heard the coach taking about his prize draft pick, Orton and even Quinn but not a word about Brandstater that can't be good sign.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM

I had to cut off his internet because the old folks' home was billing me for it.

Sorry. :ranger:

TXBRONC
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
sad truth, had higher hopes for the guy. but there just isn't a lot of reps for a 4th QB...

Reps will be at premium I don't see how you get enough reps for four quarterbacks. It will be hard enough to divide them up among three.

BroncoNut
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
This is pretty much his last chance to play pro football.

whose? Quinn's?

SOCALORADO.
05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Someone will get the ax Socal and just like it will be Orton, Quinn, and obviously Tebow. Besides I heard the coach taking about his prize draft pick, Orton and even Quinn but not a word about Brandstater that can't be good sign.

I am seeing it from a trade bait standpoint. I dont think brandstater is anything special, but if MCD hypothetically traded Orton, then i think he would stay simply because MCD likes to have a few irons in the fire at QB.
Obviously Tebow is gonna play this year. You dont trade back up into the 1st to put your favorite golden boy on the PS. So the back-up position at the very least would be Tebow if he didnt win the starting spot outright, correct?
So the real competiton is between Qwinn and Orton.........until Ortons traded! LOL!

TXBRONC
05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
I am seeing it from a trade bait standpoint. I dont think brandstater is anything special, but if MCD hypothetically traded Orton, then i think he would stay simply because MCD likes to have a few irons in the fire at QB.
Obviously Tebow is gonna play this year. You dont trade back up into the 1st to put your favorite golden boy on the PS. So the back-up position at the very least would be Tebow if he didnt win the starting spot outright, correct?
So the real competiton is between Qwinn and Orton.........until Ortons traded! LOL!

Three quarterbacks were kept on the active roster last season I fully expect that this season as well. I can't recall any team a number one pick on the practice squad but there have been plenty that haven't started right away. Orton is the one quarterback on the roster who has started for McDaniels. By the time camp is over the pecking order imo will be Orton, Quinn, and Tebow. Even if Quinn were to beat out Orton why trade him and keep the guy who ran the scout team all of last season? I would have serious reservations about McDaniels to run this team if he got rid of the one quarterback that has actually been his starter.

I like your enthusiasum but I honestly don't think Tebow start this season and I don't see Orton or Quinn getting shipped off to whose knows where.

underrated29
05-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Brandy is cut or on the PS...Its a fact.

We know two things for Certain!

1-tebow will make the 53 roster.
2- Orton will make the 53 roster.

We can presume that Quinn will also make the 53 roster..Why? Well, if we cut him someone will claim him immediately! That is a given. If we were going to cut him then we might as well trade him since we gave up stuff to get him. So Quinn will also make the roster. That leaves Brandy for PS- or we just cut him outright as well. We will probably put him in PS.

So having said that.
tebow,orton, quinn all make the final 53. Brandy is the PS and unless quinn or tebow Light it up in TC/preseason or a team loses a QB we will not be trading anyone either.