PDA

View Full Version : Michael Lombardi on Minicamp

WARHORSE
05-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Mike Lombardi on his time at Broncos mini camp
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...Post-8060.html

1. I watched Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow work in practice on Friday in Denver, and he appeared very confident. His delivery is more compact, and his knowledge of the offense is impressive. Now, if the Broncos can get his lower body in rhythm, he’ll be ready to compete at the highest level.

2. Speaking of Broncos quarterbacks, everyone in the organization has been impressed with the work of former Brown Brady Quinn. Quinn has slowed down his movements and, according to the team’s coaches, has improved his accuracy. They’re excited to watch him work, and Denver will have a legitimate competition at quarterback this summer.

3. The other first-round wide receiver, Demaryius Thomas, did not work, nor did third rounder Eric Decker. But Thomas looks the part. He’s a hard worker and competitive player who I suspect will have a very good year as a rookie.

4. Many people have asked me why the 49ers moved up with Denver in the draft to pick offensive tackle Anthony Davis. They were concerned about Green Bay moving ahead of them for Davis and wanted to make sure they got the guy they wanted. Peace of mind is sometimes worth a fourth-round pick.

5. Once Denver picked Demaryius Thomas ahead of Baltimore, it allowed the Ravens to trade out of the first round. The Ravens would not have picked Dez Bryant had he been there, but with Thomas gone, they moved. So essentially, Denver picking Thomas allowed them to get back into the first round. Green Bay did move up to draft Morgan Burnett, who both the Bears and Cowboys would have loved to draft.

An encouraging report for a few reasons.
Quinn is going to compete at the QB spot hopefully, and take advantage of his opportunity.
If the Ravens were waiting to see if they could get Thomas, then that means Ozzie Newsome liked Thomas. Thats encouraging because Ozzie knows what the heck hes doing on draft day.

Tebows feet at the back of his drop need to come apart some. He needs to land with some space between his feet at the back of his drop. He gets back quicker than any QB Ive seen, but his feet are too close together for my liking. It leads to too big a step if he has to fire right away, which is less stable and longer to deliver. Hitting the back wall of the drop with feet at least outside shoulder width apart leads to a short step delivery thats smoother and more compact. This helps accuracy and stops DBs from keying on your stride. Seems to me like hes getting there.