PDA

View Full Version : So, why was Vince Young a 1st round prospect, and Tebow is a 4th-5th?

Mr D
05-02-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm just wondering, why did all the NFL analysts/scouts, whomever, dub VY a future super star QB (some didn't, but the point is that most were ok with VY as a 1st round QB) while they dub Tim Tebow as a player who has a low chance of making it as a NFL QB?

Why such a huge discrepancy?

EDIT

It seems like people are missing the point - let me clarify.

The general conception was that VY was going to be a starting NFL QB, and most believe to be a STAR (a top 10 pick would equate to a star).

And the conception with Tebow right now is, CAN HE BE AN NFL QB? Can he even MAKE it?

There is a HUGE discrepancy, a HUGE difference... and that's why I ask the question.

Shazam!
05-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Why was JaMarcus Russell a No 1 pick?

Who the **** knows?

I think a lot of the stigma surrounding TT has to do with his outspoken religious beliefs.

Lonestar
05-03-2010, 12:10 AM
maybe it is because VY was a Mensa candidate and Tebow is not quite that smart.

But then it could be that VY was to depressed to play ball a year or so ago.

Does anyone think that Tebow will do that? :laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

tomjonesrocks
05-03-2010, 12:11 AM
I would suspect because many seem to think Tebow has a weak arm. Vince Young did not have arm strength questions coming out. On top of that, Vince is faster.

ikillz0mbies
05-03-2010, 12:13 AM
I would think it's based on Tebow's mechanics and the system he played in at Florida. Not sure though.

EMB6903
05-03-2010, 12:22 AM
IMO Part of why teams stayed away from Tebow was BECAUSE of VY

Player comparisons will reflect on how early/late you get drafted.

I think Mcfadden has Peterson to thank for being drafted so early.

ikillz0mbies
05-03-2010, 12:27 AM
IMO Part of why teams stayed away from Tebow was BECAUSE of VY

Player comparisons will reflect on how early/late you get drafted.

I think Mcfadden has Peterson to thank for being drafted so early.

Somewhat true. But mental mindset also plays a factor. Tebow has much better intangibles than Young and is probably the last player you think would have a mental breakdown or suffer from depression.

Ravage!!!
05-03-2010, 12:33 AM
Many questioned VY. He never threw from under center in college, and couldn't throw the ball. Vince is not a good NFL QB.

dogfish
05-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I'm just wondering, why did all the NFL analysts/scouts, whomever, dub VY a future super star QB (some didn't, but the point is that most were ok with VY as a 1st round QB) while they dub Tim Tebow as a player who has a low chance of making it as a NFL QB?

Why such a huge discrepancy?

which scouts and analysts are you referring to?

most reports i was reading prior to the draft had tebow ranked as a high 2nd rounder with a solid chance of going in the first because of the position he played. . . .

Kapaibro
05-03-2010, 12:36 AM
maybe it is because VY was a menus candidate and Tebow is not quite that smart.

But then it could be that VY was to depressed to play ball a year or so ago.

Does anyone think that Tebow will do that? :laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

do you mean MENSA?

Mr D
05-03-2010, 12:44 AM
I would suspect because many seem to think Tebow has a weak arm. Vince Young did not have arm strength questions coming out. On top of that, Vince is faster.

VY's arm strength was one of the glaring issues when coming out. His velocity on his throw was on the weaker side.

Mr D
05-03-2010, 12:48 AM
which scouts and analysts are you referring to?

most reports i was reading prior to the draft had tebow ranked as a high 2nd rounder with a solid chance of going in the first because of the position he played. . . .

lol

Solid chance of going in the 1st? No - do you watch ESPN? The biggest surprise of the draft WAS Tebow going in the 1st.

Now - there were 3 QB's FAR ahead than Tebow (Bradford, Clausen, McCoy).

The only ones ranking him that high were people who thought that teams would try him at different positions (TE, H-bcak, etc). No one had Tebow as a 2nd round QB... based on just being a QB, many would say he was a 4th or later (maybe 3rd). I mean you didn't hear all the idiots? They downgraded the Broncos for getting Tebow in the 1st because we "could got him later in the draft in the 3rd or 4th round".

This is far from the point though -

The point IS - that the general conception was that VY was going to be a starting NFL QB, and most believe to be a STAR.

And the conception with Tebow right now is, CAN HE BE AN NFL QB? Can he even MAKE it?

There is a HUGE discrepancy, a HUGE difference... and that's why I ask the question.

#1dolphinfan
05-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Tim Tebow Has more of a wind up throw and VY just throws side armed with Tebow's if defenders see that coming they will jump all over that with VY his is just side armed which doesnt take a long time to get rid of

#1dolphinfan
05-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Many questioned VY. He never threw from under center in college, and couldn't throw the ball. Vince is not a good NFL QB.

Vince Young is a good QB but he isnt a great QB like many thought he would be

Lonestar
05-03-2010, 01:03 AM
do you mean MENSA?

Yep and the word checker changed it without signaling thanks for the catch. will modify it BACK

Mr D
05-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Tim Tebow Has more of a wind up throw and VY just throws side armed with Tebow's if defenders see that coming they will jump all over that with VY his is just side armed which doesnt take a long time to get rid of

And this equates to:

VY= starting NFL QB, possibly star

Tim Tebow = might make it, might not make it as a QB in the NFL.

Makes perfect sense.

:coffee:

Shazam!
05-03-2010, 01:14 AM
I can think of a TON of 1st Rd. QBs who've sucked big time.

dogfish
05-03-2010, 02:05 AM
lol

Solid chance of going in the 1st? No - do you watch ESPN? The biggest surprise of the draft WAS Tebow going in the 1st.

Now - there were 3 QB's FAR ahead than Tebow (Bradford, Clausen, McCoy).

The only ones ranking him that high were people who thought that teams would try him at different positions (TE, H-bcak, etc). No one had Tebow as a 2nd round QB... based on just being a QB, many would say he was a 4th or later (maybe 3rd). I mean you didn't hear all the idiots? They downgraded the Broncos for getting Tebow in the 1st because we "could got him later in the draft in the 3rd or 4th round".

This is far from the point though -

The point IS - that the general conception was that VY was going to be a starting NFL QB, and most believe to be a STAR.

ESPN is garbage, please. . .

here are some sources that had him ranked high in the 2nd, though. . .

NFLDraftScout did get bought out by CBS this year, but they've been a solid site for years, and they retained the same people, rob rang and whoever the other guy is. . . they ranked tebow #36 overall, fourth pick in the 2nd. . . :salute:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2010_QB

ProFootball weekly is my other favorite NFL resource-- they're a highly respected old media standard for NFL coverage. . . nolan nawrocki, their draft guy, is gaining a strong reputation in the industry. . . they had tebow #43 overall. . .

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/04/01/top-100-draft-prospects-regardless-of-position

scout.com had him at #44. . .

http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=124&yr=2010

and whether you like ProFootball Talk.com or hate them, they've made themselves into one of the biggest media sources covering the sport. . . they had multiple reports in the days preceeding the draft about rumors that tebow was going to make it inot the first round, and that claussen could slide to or past minnesota if one or two teams passed in the teens. . . i'm not going to bother to dig them all up. . .

so where are your superior sources? back up your opinion. . . there are a few people on this board who actually DO know more than the next guy (dean, chaz, cane), but so far you haven't shown anything beyond boasts to show that you belong in that category. . .

as to he original question, i think tebow is highly similar to young as a prospect, and have said so before. . . i do think you're vastly exaggerating the difference in where they were projected and the projections regarding their success. . . look up merril hodge's ESPN segments about vince young (as one source of popular opinion, not as a quality source of football analysis), and then mayock's opinion on tebow, and get back to us. . .

Kapaibro
05-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Plus Steve McNair was Vince's mentor. So he had a leg up.

That really bad wonderelic doesn't mean shit

Mr D
05-03-2010, 03:52 AM
ESPN is garbage, please. . .

as to he original question, i think tebow is highly similar to young as a prospect, and have said so before. . . i do think you're vastly exaggerating the difference in where they were projected and the projections regarding their success. . . look up merril hodge's ESPN segments about vince young (as one source of popular opinion, not as a quality source of football analysis), and then mayock's opinion on tebow, and get back to us. . .

lol ESPN being garbage has nothing to do with the quesiton.

Am I exaggerating the difference? Maybe - but you're deviating from the actual point.

Vince Young was rated a top 10 pick/prospect in 2006... everywhere. Tebow is 44th as you're showing me, right? Like I said McShay, some of the ESPN crew, some of the NFL crew said the Broncos f'd up by grabbing someone they "could have had in the 3rd or 4th." There are mocks that Tebow goes in the 2nd, behind Bradford and Clausen. They were obviously wrong - but that is FAR from the point.

The questions surrounding Vince Young were similar to Tebow as far as their problems - however it was NOT in question that he (Vince) would be a starting NFL QB... HENCE A TOP 10 PICK... some had him even going high as 3 (which is where he obviously went).

Now Tebow is said to be a good prospect as far as being an ATHLETE - NOT JUST A QB. That is what raised in stock (publicly).

The point is - Tebow was rated as a worst QB prospect than VY when they both came out - by a LARGE MARGIN. NO ONE questioned if VY could ever be a starting QB in the NFL - it really wasn't up for the debate.

However - the main and overlying THEME of Tim Tebow is, can he make it as an NFL QB?

Isn't that the main controversy in regards to Tebow? He has all the character in the world but his grading as a QB is pretty damn low when you hear these media outlets talk.

That was not the case with VY... it was a commonly accept as, who will be better? VY or Leinert. Then Jay crept into the equation. Then all three of them were looked at as the future of the NFL at the QB position. <<--- this was the overlying theme of the 2006 NFL draft after the Bush fiasco.

Now Tebow? The only question surrounding him is if he will be able to become an NFL QB.

You can pull out a few examples of people talking down VY, that's cool man. However - I'm not here to argue about a few examples - I mean no shit there will be examples of people having a negative belief on someone... it's their JOBS to look on both sides with every athlete.

However what was the GENERAL consensus? Was it that will VY be able to make it as an NFL QB? No, hence a top 10 pick draft grade by most if not all outlets. Is that the general consensus with Tebow? YEAH... why do you think coldfootballfacts made that whole write up on Tebow?

Understand the main point and get back to me. :lol:

BroncoWave
05-03-2010, 07:25 AM
lol ESPN being garbage has nothing to do with the quesiton.

Am I exaggerating the difference? Maybe - but you're deviating from the actual point.

Vince Young was rated a top 10 pick/prospect in 2006... everywhere. Tebow is 44th as you're showing me, right? Like I said McShay, some of the ESPN crew, some of the NFL crew said the Broncos f'd up by grabbing someone they "could have had in the 3rd or 4th." There are mocks that Tebow goes in the 2nd, behind Bradford and Clausen. They were obviously wrong - but that is FAR from the point.

The questions surrounding Vince Young were similar to Tebow as far as their problems - however it was NOT in question that he (Vince) would be a starting NFL QB... HENCE A TOP 10 PICK... some had him even going high as 3 (which is where he obviously went).

Now Tebow is said to be a good prospect as far as being an ATHLETE - NOT JUST A QB. That is what raised in stock (publicly).

The point is - Tebow was rated as a worst QB prospect than VY when they both came out - by a LARGE MARGIN. NO ONE questioned if VY could ever be a starting QB in the NFL - it really wasn't up for the debate.

However - the main and overlying THEME of Tim Tebow is, can he make it as an NFL QB?

Isn't that the main controversy in regards to Tebow? He has all the character in the world but his grading as a QB is pretty damn low when you hear these media outlets talk.

That was not the case with VY... it was a commonly accept as, who will be better? VY or Leinert. Then Jay crept into the equation. Then all three of them were looked at as the future of the NFL at the QB position. <<--- this was the overlying theme of the 2006 NFL draft after the Bush fiasco.

Now Tebow? The only question surrounding him is if he will be able to become an NFL QB.

You can pull out a few examples of people talking down VY, that's cool man. However - I'm not here to argue about a few examples - I mean no shit there will be examples of people having a negative belief on someone... it's their JOBS to look on both sides with every athlete.

However what was the GENERAL consensus? Was it that will VY be able to make it as an NFL QB? No, hence a top 10 pick draft grade by most if not all outlets. Is that the general consensus with Tebow? YEAH... why do you think coldfootballfacts made that whole write up on Tebow?

Understand the main point and get back to me. :lol:

This part is just an absolute fabrication on your part. Not a single person on ESPN said that Denver could have gotten him in the 3rd or 4th round. Not one. Some analysts had him as a 3rd or 4th round grade but they all admitted that there was probably no way he would fall past round 2 and that someone would probably take a chance on him in round one.

There is a difference between giving someone a 3rd or 4th round grade and saying "they could have had him in the 3rd or 4th round". Lots of people said the first thing, not a single person said the second thing like you claim.

LordTrychon
05-03-2010, 09:52 AM
FWIW.... I never really thought VY would pan out.

broncophan
05-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I am pretty sure the NAACP had something to do with it...

Northman
05-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Is this really the biggest question you have? Why do you even really care where he was slotted to go? If he turns out to be a star does it really matter where he was projected to go?

T.K.O.
05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
the pats were gonna snag tebow.....that is all:salute:

Tned
05-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Is this really the biggest question you have? Why do you even really care where he was slotted to go? If he turns out to be a star does it really matter where he was projected to go?

If he turns out to be a star, then it really doesn't matter. If he turns out to be a bust, then the 'he was taken to early' talk is turned into "I told you so's".

T.K.O.
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
are the same guys who had clausen going to seattle @#6 the ones who said tebow would be available in the 3-4th round ?:D

TXBRONC
05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
If he turns out to be a star, then it really doesn't matter. If he turns out to be a bust, then the 'he was taken to early' talk is turned into "I told you so's".

That's also where the gnashing of teeth will heard about the cost of moving up to get him right, wrong, or otherwise.

Ravage!!!
05-03-2010, 10:33 AM
the pats were gonna snag tebow.....that is all:salute:

How you figure? Because Belicheck said so? Yeah...he's nver been one for lying, and he would never lie to help out the 'image' of McD.

If Belicheck took Tebow, it would be for completely different reasons (and I don't believe he would have taken him).

The Patriots obviously have their future QB on the roster. Thats not changing. So Tebow wouldn't be coming in to be their starting QB. He would be coming in as an "extra" trick up their sleeve. SOmeone to run gimmicks and to play at different positions as well as throw the ball. He wouldn't draft Tebow to actually RUN their offense and be behind center.

Denver did. Thats a HUGE difference. :salute:

T.K.O.
05-03-2010, 10:43 AM
How you figure? Because Belicheck said so? Yeah...he's nver been one for lying, and he would never lie to help out the 'image' of McD.

If Belicheck took Tebow, it would be for completely different reasons (and I don't believe he would have taken him).

The Patriots obviously have their future QB on the roster. Thats not changing. So Tebow wouldn't be coming in to be their starting QB. He would be coming in as an "extra" trick up their sleeve. SOmeone to run gimmicks and to play at different positions as well as throw the ball. He wouldn't draft Tebow to actually RUN their offense and be behind center.

Denver did. Thats a HUGE difference. :salute:

and so the pats are'nt planning for the future ?
what makes you think belichicks plan was'nt identical to mcD's?
bring the guy in and teach him proper mechanics,get him up to speed on the offense,use him in certain packages this year and maybe next....then see if he can handle the job.
maybe tebow would have at an extra year or 2 behind brady (because he's better than orton) but i dont see where the pats don't need an eventual replacement behind center.they lost cassell and brady has already proven to be one play away from out for a season (all qb's are) beli is no dummy and i doubt he would say he wanted tebow just to "fluff up" the image of a former assistant

BroncoNut
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
from what iv'e seen, Tebow does not have much velocity on the ball. and of course his throwing mechanics are a concern. both qbs got a lot done with their feet in their collegiate careers. Young is probably the better athlete. i would NOT say that without question though. Tebow brings some pretty impressive athleticism himself. Nice vision, generally good balance and body control. what hurt his prospect was his arm strength. Generally that's a pretty strong indicator for NFL success. His intangibles are obviously pretty high on the charts. He's a gamble, but who wouldn't be? I think Sam Bradford is the best qb pick this year.

Ravage!!!
05-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Now, even though I question highly the pick of Tebow for our needs... I have absolutely NO REASON to believe that VY is a better athlete. None. I believe Tebow is the better athlete.

Italianmobstr7
05-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Anyone who thinks Tebow or VY have weak arms need to watch some film on those 2... They both have great arm strength. Tebow is deadly accurate with his deep ball too. Tebow did struggle a little bit with accuracy as did Young. Those were the biggest knocks on both guys, not arm strength.

Position: Quarterback
School: Texas

Height: 6-5

Weight: 235

40-Yard Dash:

Positives:

In his three years at Texas, Vince Young has exhibited great speed and agility. His ability to escape the pocket, allows for more flexibility in the offense, and his arm strength will allow him to make the throws that any NFL offense requires.
Young also has good footwork, and has consistently improved over the past few years, which will help him to make any movements necessary in the pocket, and allow his throws to be a bit more accurate. Young also exhibits good leadership and poise, which will help others trust him on the field and givetheir all in pressure situations.

Negatives:

The biggest knock on Young is his release point. He tends to release the ball from a sidearm, almost under his shoulder. This may cause numerous throws to be batted down at the line. Also due to his release point, Young is not as accurate as he could be on some of his throws. Another area of concern could be his sometimes-questionable decision making.
While he is improving, he still tends to try to force passes when there is another easier pass available. It also causes him to leave the pocket a bit prematurely. With the exception of his release point, all these problems should be easy fixes.
Overview:

While many people think that Vince Young won't be playing quarterback in the NFL, with the improvement he's made as a passer, he will be an NFL QB. His speed and agility will make him the second most feared running quarterback in the league, and his arm strength will allow him to make the throws he needs to.
He'll more than likely need to change his release point, otherwise he will probably have problems with balls batted down at the line. Young will more then likely be a top-5 pick in 2006.

Height: 6-2¾ | Weight: 236 | 40-Time: 4.72

Strengths:
Good height and outstanding bulk --- Terrific athleticism --- Excellent strength --- Arm is strong enough to make all the throws --- Can throw on the run --- Shows some elusiveness --- Can buy time in the pocket and make plays with his legs --- Powerful runner --- Extraordinarily competitive --- Tough as nails --- Fantastic work ethic --- Smart --- Has a ton of experience against top-notch competition --- Incredible leader.

Weaknesses:
Zero experience in a pro style offense --- A long delivery and serious mechanical issues with his throwing motion --- Has trouble throwing a tight spiral --- Not overly accurate --- Poor footwork --- Will have to adjust to taking snaps from under center --- Must learn how to read defenses and coverages --- Marginal vision --- Is too eager to run at times --- Minor durability concerns --- May have to learn a new position.

Notes:
A three-year starter for the Gators --- Regarded as one of the greatest players in college football history --- Helped lead Florida to two BCS National Championships --- Became the first sophomore to ever win the Heisman Trophy in 2007 and was also a finalist in 2008 and 2009 --- A three-time All-American (1st Team in 2007, 3rd Team in 2008 and 2nd Team in 2009) --- Earned 1st Team All-SEC honors in 2007, 2008 and 2009 --- A two-time winner of the Maxwell Award (2008 and 2009), given to the Collegiate Player of the Year --- Winner of the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award in 2007 --- Recipient of the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award, given to the most outstanding senior student-athlete, in 2009 --- Elected a captain by his teammates as a junior and senior --- Became the only player in NCAA history to ever rush and pass for more than 20 touchdowns in a single season in 2007 --- Extremely active in the community and works intensively with a wide assortment of charitable foundations --- Has traveled to the Philippines for mission trips on a number of occasions --- Could also project to Tight End, H-Back or Fullback at the next level --- Physical style of play has led to his body taking quite a pounding over the years --- Product of Urban Meyer's spread system, which did little or nothing to prepare him for the pros --- Has the physical tools to play quarterback in the NFL and intangibles are second to none but is basically a raw ball of clay at this point --- A long-term project who will likely require at least 2-3 years of development but can contribute in other ways in the meantime --- Will probably be selected earlier than he should be based on his impressive college résumé and absolutely impeccable character --- Just might go down as the most controversial prospect in the history of the NFL Draft.

BroncoNut
05-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Now, even though I question highly the pick of Tebow for our needs... I have absolutely NO REASON to believe that VY is a better athlete. None. I believe Tebow is the better athlete.

that's a tough call there Ravage.

CoachChaz
05-03-2010, 12:50 PM
The simple answer to the question is because his name is Tim Tebow. If there weren't ESPN shows documenting his senior year in high school and him shoosing where he'd go...if he didnt win the Heisman as a sophomore...if he didnt have 2 national titles...if every move he made wasnt followed and dissected in the same manner the paparazzi follows Brad Pitt...then this would be much ado about nothing.

Sure...he has some mechanics issues. but so have many first round QB's that have panned out just fine. They didnt have the media coverage that Tebow did, so it wasnt spotlighted. After helping Brady refine his game, making a good QB out of Cassel for a year and making Orton look better than average, i'm definitely interested in what McD can do with Tebow. Like him or hate him, no one can deny that the kid has the determination and athletic ability to accomplish pretty much anything he tries. it's going to be a fun ride and as a TRUE Broncos fan...instead of sitting back and bashing the pick and quietly hoping for his failure to prove myself right about him and McD...I'll be sitting back loudly hoping for his success so they can prove the critics wrong. All for the benefit of the Denver Broncos

Bosco
05-03-2010, 12:51 PM
lol ESPN being garbage has nothing to do with the quesiton. It absolutely does.

OrangeHoof
05-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Part of the VY hysteria was because of two things - 1) two of the three teams choosing early were the team from Houston and the team that just left Houston so there was a special gate-attraction addition to choosing Young and 2) Young's scrambling skills were unmatched in college. There was nobody doing the sort of things Young was doing as a senior. He proved too quick for d-linemen to catch and too big for d-backs to tackle. While Tebow could be too big for d-backs to tackle, he doesn't have Young's elusiveness or pure speed. Young was a freak of nature that made many think he could be the ultimate QB. But Young didn't change the NFL; the NFL changed Young which is the lesson that Tebow also needs to learn.

I agree with the post above that says Tebow's grade was lower because of Vince Young. If anybody could make the QB position work as a great runner and weak passer, it was Vince and I don't see Tebow as being a better runner or a better passer. All he has going for him is this "wants it more" talk.

broncophan
05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
The simple answer to the question is because his name is Tim Tebow. If there weren't ESPN shows documenting his senior year in high school and him shoosing where he'd go...if he didnt win the Heisman as a sophomore...if he didnt have 2 national titles...if every move he made wasnt followed and dissected in the same manner the paparazzi follows Brad Pitt...then this would be much ado about nothing.

Sure...he has some mechanics issues. but so have many first round QB's that have panned out just fine. They didnt have the media coverage that Tebow did, so it wasnt spotlighted. After helping Brady refine his game, making a good QB out of Cassel for a year and making Orton look better than average, i'm definitely interested in what McD can do with Tebow. Like him or hate him, no one can deny that the kid has the determination and athletic ability to accomplish pretty much anything he tries. it's going to be a fun ride and as a TRUE Broncos fan...instead of sitting back and bashing the pick and quietly hoping for his failure to prove myself right about him and McD...I'll be sitting back loudly hoping for his success so they can prove the critics wrong. All for the benefit of the Denver Broncos

This is by far....the best post I have read on here in a long.....long....long....time.

Ravage!!!
05-03-2010, 06:17 PM
that's a tough call there Ravage.

Fair enough. I just don't think VY is a better athlete. I've never been impressed with VY

TXBRONC
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Fair enough. I just don't think VY is a better athlete. I've never been impressed with VY

I like his overall athleticism but as far as quarterbacking skill are concerned I'm leery of him.

Kapaibro
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
let's just get it out there..

It's cos VY is black, and Tebow is white, and we need some super-fab new great Black QB.

McNabb and Ron Mexico have been flops, JaMarcus is just a tubby fool, and now VY is depressed. All the expectations of the black community rest on him. He was the Great Black Hope.

White people got heaps of QB role models. Who needs another one?

BroncoNut
05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
let's just get it out there..

It's cos VY is black, and Tebow is white, and we need some super-fab new great Black QB.

McNabb and Ron Mexico have been flops, JaMarcus is just a tubby fool, and now VY is depressed. All the expectations of the black community rest on him. He was the Great Black Hope.

White people got heaps of QB role models. Who needs another one?

I don't know about that Kap. Warren Moon and D. McNabb have done pretty well. But I'm sure a white person loved them at some point in time. I think what the NFL really needs is a black field goal kicker.

T.K.O.
05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
rush ?.......that you big fella ?:D

BroncoNut
05-04-2010, 10:46 AM
rush ?.......that you big fella ?:D

Good Call TKO. I wasn't even thinking of the Rush Limbaugh incident.

Timmy!
05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Jeebus. :tsk:

I'm waiting for a "Tim Tebow once forgot to feed his dog, that horrible *******" thread.....

BigBroncLove
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM
My opinion why Vince Young was rated higher than Tebow?

Vince Young won the 2006 Rose Bowl (National championship game) under massive fan fair. The matchup between UT and USC was highly touted, with Texas an underdog. Young dominated that game. He was a one man show for parts of it, and with an undefeated season. That's a great set of headlines and film leading into the draft. Any incoming QB wants to have that type of resume on their last year of play entering into the draft.

Tim Tebow, while a far more consistent force through his entire collegiate career, was nowhere near as dominant in the collegiate ranks as Young was in his senior year. Sure Tebow got dragged through the mud for his throwing motion and style of offense in Florida. Sure, but if you ask me the question isn't why Tebow fell in the eyes of some analysts and scouts, but why Vince Young was rated so high. IMO the short answer was the amazing high he created off his play in that last bowl game. It's a wave of enthusiasm some GM's, coaches, and owners decided to take a ride on, and IIRC Meril Hoge reported Jeff Fisher (Titans HC) preferred other QB's but the decision came from above... draft VY.

OrangeHoof
05-06-2010, 03:00 PM
I was going to say something but there's no way to do it without being misconstrued or accused of racism so I'll just shut up.

haroldthebarrel
05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I guess that had Vince Young been a superstar and a consistent performer Tebow would also had gone top ten.
I believe Young was put into the fire too early and when he had his struggles he couldnt cope with it. I think perhaps 2-3 qbs every ten years are ready to play as rookies and really make the team a winner for every ten years. all the others have to wait and develop.

Tebow though has a better shot at making it big than Young did. He has the line, a rb and above all a coach to help him develop. With time he could be great.
If he is starting early, his chance of busting increase rapidly.
If we are patient, we could be a contender in about two years. Then if Tebow develops we should be a contender for the next ten years or so.
Qbs are that important, and I think McDaniels reallizes that.

shank
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I was going to say something but there's no way to do it without being misconstrued or accused of racism so I'll just shut up.

that's racist.

NameUsedBefore
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I have no idea why Vince Young was heralded as a legitimate QB in the first place. Was never impressed with him and saw him as Eric Crouch 2.0. Tim Tebow is in the same mold to me, anyway. His dropping may be a Vince Young effect itself or simply that many felt Young did more to carry the Longhorns than Tebow did to carry the Gators.