View Full Version : Charismatic Tebow now McD's favorite

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Kiszla: Charismatic Tebow now McD's favorite
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/02/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

What we have here is a man crush.

From the gleam in the eye of Denver coach Josh McDaniels, it's hard to tell whether he wants to start Tim Tebow at quarterback or adopt him as member of the family.

There's a nagging suspicion McDaniels didn't draft a Heisman Trophy winner so much as he fell head over heels for a football soul mate. Here is a coach and quarterback whose hearts beat as one.

"Whoever plays that position has a great impact on the team. The head coach hopefully has a significant impact on the team, as well. So you hope you share the same philosophy, the same beliefs, the same values. As much as you can, you hope your leadership styles are similar," McDaniels said.

But forget the breathless hype and the No. 15 jerseys flying off the shelves of Denver stores for a moment. If you're asking me, this is how the current Broncos quarterbacks rank in terms of raw ability to win football games in the NFL:

1. Brady Quinn

2. Kyle Orton

3. Tebow

There's no denying Tebow is a winner. But playing quarterback for Florida might be the cushiest gig in college football. You telling me Quinn or Orton couldn't have won a national championship for the Gators?

As a general rule of thumb, give me quarterbacks who empowered a college team not known for attracting blue- chippers at every position on the field. For example: Drew Brees at Purdue, Philip Rivers at North Carolina State, Ben Roethlisberger at Miami (Ohio), Donovan McNabb at Syracuse, John Elway at Stanford.

McDaniels certainly wouldn't be the first person to hyperventilate in the reflection of Tebow's smile. He shines like the Florida sun. His personality is as genuinely powerful as truth, justice and the American way.

Tebow is the best man for the job. In tests of character, he's unbeatable. But is Tebow the best quarterback for a professional team? There's a big difference.

There is more than McDaniels ego and job security tied to the success of Tebow. This is a test of his very football philosophy, proof that an unproven, 34-year-old coach's core values can equate with success at the NFL level.
"Curfew is like a bad word for him, and that's not because he wants to be in a tavern somewhere," said McDaniels, saluting a Tebow commitment to excellence that never sleeps. "He's going to work himself into situations where he can be successful."

If New England quarterback Tom Brady made McDaniels an offensive genius and a very rich man, then this is the chance for McDaniels to go down in history as the mentor who transformed Tebow's raw physical gifts into a Hall of Fame player.

While nobody accuses me of being a dreamy idealist, one reason I like McDaniels is there's so much heartland earnestness in his approach to the game. The coach doesn't waver. Or didn't you notice? The eye-roll cynicism of Jay Cutler or the slacker charm of Brandon Marshall doesn't play here in Denver anymore.

When McDaniels looks in the mirror, he sees Tebow.

The coach insists the fact that Tebow is a first-round draft choice won't skew the competition at quarterback. "We've told our team that the best players will be on the field," McDaniels said.

In the end, all we can hope is the race to be the No. 1 QB in Denver is ultimately based on the merit of moving the chains rather than the 29 dimensions of an eHarmony compatibility test.

Orton and Quinn better not be the jealous type.

Because Tebow certainly seems to be the quarterback McDaniels loves best.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15000288

guitarj
05-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Wow! I now feel a lot dumber after reading that piece:D

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Kizla does that to you you but it was a Piece in what is supposed to be a accredited newspaper.

Thought it should be posted. Y'all will Notice I posted the email address to him to send him a comment like I have.

dogfish
05-03-2010, 01:10 AM

i feel that way just after skimming it. . .

seriously. . . i usually skip the by-line, and sure enough, paragraph or two in i had to stop and look back for it. . .

"shit, this has to be kiszla". . . . :tsk:

yep. . .

c'mon, JR. . . fake heart attacks, and now freaking kiszla? make some posts about TEAM or something. . . .

:salute:

getlynched47
05-03-2010, 01:18 AM
So hard to hold back the "gay" comments :lol:

sneakers
05-03-2010, 01:27 AM
I enjoyed reading it, makes me optimistic.

Tempus Fugit
05-03-2010, 01:35 AM
So hard to hold back the "gay" comments :lol:

Broncback Mountain?

dogfish
05-03-2010, 01:38 AM
in all seriousness. . .

it IS crap, because after bradford, tebow is just as qualified as any of this year's QB prospects-- not as polished as claussen, for sure, but McD is supposed to be the QB whisperer, right? look at all the teams that passed on claussen (nevermind mccoy), and it looks like at least fifteen other FOs that could've used a highly-touted young QB prospect agreed with JMFMCD about how highly they wanted to draft claussen to lead their huddle. . .

no questions about tebow in that respect, and don't be surprised when you hear that he's talking to guys like dawkins-- dawk has been a mentor to many dowzens of young men in this league, and his own strong faith should be an immediate bond with tebow. . . and we know how eager the kid is to learn. . . his eagerness looks almost pathetic when he's on camera-- looks like he's sweating, stammering, and nearly standing at attention-- but who gives a shit, really. . .

it's more important that he absolutely seems genuine. . . the vets will be plenty happy with a kid who's going to pay strict attention and bust his ass to get better. . . those guys want to win while they still can-- they most definitely DON'T want young guys punting balls in practice and doing dumb shit. . . they've put in the years and proved themselves, and they're still coming in and putting in work-- you know they want to see the young talents coming in and taking it seriously, being pros. . .

i think tebow's approach will win a lot of respect in the locker room, from the guys that matter. . . and love his approach or hate it, but there's zero doubt left that the mcXanders regime will get rid of guys that don't toe the company line when it comes to attitude. . .

he's not a conventional prospect, certainly, but plenty of highly respected football guys like dungy, gruden and shenanigans have said that they expect him to succeed. . . some of it is fluff, for sure, and you can also find analysts who don't think he'll make it. . . same with almost every prospect. . .

tebow is a proven winner at the highest level of college football, has far superior intangibles to claussen, and a far sturdier frame than mccoy. . . more versatility, and possibly more immediate value with his ability to hopefully contribute in the short yardage and goal line situations where this team has struggled so badly. . . the fact that he also fits what JMFMCD is obviously looking for in terms of character and maturity doesn't have to be the main reason we drafted him. . . he will take some more development than a few of the other guys, but he has as much or more long term upside as any of the QBs taken after him. . .

people can always debate whether it was a reach, and you never know for an undetermined number of years, except in the utra-rare case when a rookie QB comes in and really plays at a consistently high level right off the bat (i'm pretty sure they knew marino was legit after that first year). . .

we'll see, and people who say that McD may have pretty much cast his lot in this job with that pick aren't out of line IMO. . . but it's typical kiszla dogshit to suggest that JMFMCD did it for some vapid or superficial "soulmates" type of garbage. . . i'm not one of this board's off-the-handle cheerleader/all things broncos vigilantes, but it's insulting to listen to a crap-slinging columnist talk junk about either a coach who, whatever his faults, is unquestionably and exponentially more knowledgeable abot football than a local newspaper hack, OR a quality young guy who is both one of our new broncos and one of the most accomplished college football players of all time. . .

WARHORSE
05-03-2010, 03:06 AM
Watching McDaniels study Tebow during the mini camp was like watching a horse trainer study someone working with his prized stallion.

While I think the article is skewed in cynicism, McDaniels must understand that its easy for a naysayer to view things in this manner. He needs to recognize it in order to make sure hes cognizant of his actions, because he is indeed enamored with Tebow.

While its fine to fawn over him in rookie minicamps, once Orton and Quinn step into the picture in OTAs, its a different story. Give everyone attention.

The best thing to do is get those four guys studying together, working together, hanging out together and looking for success for one another.

Any type of favoritism will quickly unravel any cohesiveness.

On a wicked thought: Orton takes Tebow out on the town, gets him drunk, takes pics of him and some hotties, then sells em to Klis to print next morn.

Who said a QB cometition has to be fair? :D

Krull
05-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Quinn and Orton would not have won nc's at UF under the scheme in my opinion. Neither would have been walking, and probably would be the poster child for the rascal power chair in Meyer's offense. Not to say they weren't capable, just wouldn't have happened in the same offensive scheme developed for Tebow. Just my opinion.

xzn
05-03-2010, 07:29 AM
Watching McDaniels study Tebow during the mini camp was like watching a horse trainer study someone working with his prized stallion.

While I think the article is skewed in cynicism, McDaniels must understand that its easy for a naysayer to view things in this manner. He needs to recognize it in order to make sure hes cognizant of his actions, because he is indeed enamored with Tebow.

While its fine to fawn over him in rookie minicamps, once Orton and Quinn step into the picture in OTAs, its a different story. Give everyone attention.

The best thing to do is get those four guys studying together, working together, hanging out together and looking for success for one another.

Any type of favoritism will quickly unravel any cohesiveness.

On a wicked thought: Orton takes Tebow out on the town, gets him drunk, takes pics of him and some hotties, then sells em to Klis to print next morn.

Who said a QB cometition has to be fair? :D

Tim would order ROOT BEER ...

TXBRONC
05-03-2010, 07:35 AM
i feel that way just after skimming it. . .

seriously. . . i usually skip the by-line, and sure enough, paragraph or two in i had to stop and look back for it. . .

"shit, this has to be kiszla". . . . :tsk:

yep. . .

c'mon, JR. . . fake heart attacks, and now freaking kiszla? make some posts about TEAM or something. . . .

:salute:

I read it on the DP website and decided not to bring to BF because I knew it wouldn't be well received.

SOCALORADO.
05-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I read it on the DP website and decided I not to bring to BF because I knew it wouldn't be well received.

I think basically all's hes saying in the cheesy article is what many of us already know, and that is that Tebow has all the mental aspects of life and the game of football dialed in. Hes an incredible leader both off and on the field with high ethics, morals and dedication.
On the field he has all the physical ability in the world he's just a little raw, so the downside to a HC who is known for making QBs out of thin air is nothing. There was literally no downside to MCD in drafting Tebow.
Working out the kinks in his game will be a piece of cake as far as MCD's concerned.

pnbronco
05-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Dog I got so much more out your post, thanks...................:salute:

Lonestar
05-03-2010, 09:48 AM
Great post Dog. Your correct about Kiz,I always wonder if he is as hated at dove valley as fat berger. And woody was/is.

Have to wonder when are they getting their press passes pulled.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
05-03-2010, 10:30 AM
That article was hilarious.

weazel
05-03-2010, 10:33 AM
I wonder if they take long walks in the park?

TXBRONC
05-03-2010, 10:34 AM
I think basically all's hes saying in the cheesy article is what many of us already know, and that is that Tebow has all the mental aspects of life and the game of football dialed in. Hes an incredible leader both off and on the field with high ethics, morals and dedication.
On the field he has all the physical ability in the world he's just a little raw, so the downside to a HC who is known for making QBs out of thin air is nothing. There was literally no downside to MCD in drafting Tebow.
Working out the kinks in his game will be a piece of cake as far as MCD's concerned.

Yeah I know but because its Kiszla column it wasn't going be well received.