PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn impressing "everyone in the organization"

Mr D
05-02-2010, 04:17 PM
According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, "everyone in the organization" has been impressed by Brady Quinn so far at Broncos minicamp.

Quinn has slowed down his mechanics and exhibited improved accuracy, and Lombardi indicates that the Broncos' QB battle is more wide open than Josh McDaniels has let on. Lombardi attended Denver's first post-draft minicamp and worked in the organization in 2008, so we're led to believe he has good inside info. He also talked up Quinn on the NFL Network last week.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4149

Nomad
05-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't care who the QB is out of the 4, I want the best QB who will give us the best chances at winning games!!

dogfish
05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
hopefully he'll impress somebody outside the organization, and we can salvage a pick. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
05-02-2010, 04:52 PM
If all of our QBs continue to improve and impress we're going to end up in a "terribly ideal" situation. I wouldn't mind ending up with a pick for Orton and/or Quinn but it will be fantastic to actually have a backup QB we can trust to be at least solid if the starter (whoever that turns out to be) goes down.

To start this offseason, I was less than excited about the QB position. We had a mediocre, but potentially improving, but injury prone starter and no real backup. Now, we have 3 potential starters and the best will get the job... Talk about ideal! :beer:

broncobryce
05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I wonder if they are talking him up in hopes to get something for him if a team gets a QB injury.

elsid13
05-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, he failed to impress one person in Dove Valley and that was Josh McDaniels. Because if he was really impressing everyone then Denver wouldn't have been so aggressive moving up for Tebow.

broncophan
05-02-2010, 05:20 PM
According to Mike Lombardi of the National Football Post, "everyone in the organization" has been impressed by Brady Quinn so far at Broncos minicamp.

Quinn has slowed down his mechanics and exhibited improved accuracy, and Lombardi indicates that the Broncos' QB battle is more wide open than Josh McDaniels has let on. Lombardi attended Denver's first post-draft minicamp and worked in the organization in 2008, so we're led to believe he has good inside info. He also talked up Quinn on the NFL Network last week.

Anyone who thinks the qb battle is not wide open is nuts...
Trading for Quinn....and drafting a qb in the first round.......

Orton better be busy doing something to secure his starting qb role....

Denver Native (Carol)
05-02-2010, 05:21 PM

This article is a little confusing, unless there was a minicamp before the one which started Friday, which was a rookies only minicamp, except for the two punters?

jhildebrand
05-02-2010, 05:22 PM
As long as the competition is real and genuine I LOVE IT. It can only make the team better.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see Quinn put on a great preseason and push to start.

honz
05-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Impressing the team could mean a lot of things guys...it doesn't necessarily mean that they are starting to see him as a future "franchise QB".

Tned
05-02-2010, 05:33 PM
This article is a little confusing, unless there was a minicamp before the one which started Friday, which was a rookies only minicamp, except for the two punters?

I thought there was one in March.

BigBroncLove
05-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Quinn also apparently came into Denver with a very open minded approach and a hunger for knowledge that was really impressive to the organization (Rod Woodson reported it on "Who will start in Denver?" piece on NFLN as well as Kiszla who in the deep throes of bromance when it comes to Brady).

I'm not a fan of Woodsons opinion of the Broncos or Kiszla altogether but I think its an interesting fact. Im indifferent about Quinn but if he is infact improving across board and working hard it can only be good for the Broncos. I still think Quinn has to sprinkle in a dash of "don't panic under pressure" and "make quicker decisions" but I do think a portion (but not all) of that came from a lackluster offensive line and impotent offensive scheme in Cleveland.

BigBroncLove
05-02-2010, 05:48 PM

The rotoworld quote is the confusing part. The actual article doesn't mention Quinn in minicamps implicitly. I don't think he is. Quinn also however doesn't have the rookie limitations and has been able to work with the Broncos staff and coaches throughout this entire offseason in unorganized activities. This is what they would have to be referring too IMO.

Here are the three things in that same report from Lombardi about the Broncos.

1. I watched Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow work in practice on Friday in Denver, and he appeared very confident. His delivery is more compact, and his knowledge of the offense is impressive. Now, if the Broncos can get his lower body in rhythm, he’ll be ready to compete at the highest level.

2. Speaking of Broncos quarterbacks, everyone in the organization has been impressed with the work of former Brown Brady Quinn. Quinn has slowed down his movements and, according to the team’s coaches, has improved his accuracy. They’re excited to watch him work, and Denver will have a legitimate competition at quarterback this summer.

3. The other first-round wide receiver, Demaryius Thomas, did not work, nor did third rounder Eric Decker. But Thomas looks the part. He’s a hard worker and competitive player who I suspect will have a very good year as a rookie.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-8060.html

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 05:50 PM
I wonder if they are talking him up in hopes to get something for him if a team gets a QB injury.

it was lombardi talking him up

bcbronc
05-02-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm expecting Quinn to be our primary passer two seasons from now. Orton will be gone, Tebow doing Tebow exclusive packages, and Bradstater the #3.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-02-2010, 06:21 PM
The rotoworld quote is the confusing part. The actual article doesn't mention Quinn in minicamps implicitly. I don't think he is. Quinn also however doesn't have the rookie limitations and has been able to work with the Broncos staff and coaches throughout this entire offseason in unorganized activities. This is what they would have to be referring too IMO.

Here are the three things in that same report from Lombardi about the Broncos.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-8060.html

According to the following, Quinn was not here:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10087

"In addition to the team's draft picks and college free agents, two more players are participating in this weekend's minicamp -- punters Britton Colquitt and A.J. Trapasso."

If Quinn has been working out on his own with the Broncos staff and coaches, it has been the best kept secret from the press ever.

BigBroncLove
05-02-2010, 06:35 PM
According to the following, Quinn was not here:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10087

"In addition to the team's draft picks and college free agents, two more players are participating in this weekend's minicamp -- punters Britton Colquitt and A.J. Trapasso."

If Quinn has been working out on his own with the Broncos staff and coaches, it has been the best kept secret from the press ever.

A lot of players do work the majority of the year. It's not unheard of for players to spend additional time working with team staff or coaches during the midst of the offseason. Cutler did it plenty, but he organized it with Marshall and Scheffler so it made headlines. Simply because the media doesn't report every player in the dove valley facility doesnt mean they aren't in there working with coaches or staff.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-02-2010, 10:01 PM
A lot of players do work the majority of the year. It's not unheard of for players to spend additional time working with team staff or coaches during the midst of the offseason. Cutler did it plenty, but he organized it with Marshall and Scheffler so it made headlines. Simply because the media doesn't report every player in the dove valley facility doesnt mean they aren't in there working with coaches or staff.

Cutler did it with Marshall and Scheffler out of state. I just can't imagine the word not getting out that Quinn has been at Dove Valley working out, practicing, etc, if he really has, since he has not been a Bronco that long.

Magnificent Seven
05-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I think Orton will be our starting QB and Quinn would be our back up QB. Tim Tebow could play TE/FB/QB. Just like Kordell Stewart in his first year with the Steelers. Brandstater might be either cut or 3rd string QB.

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 10:26 PM
I think Orton will be our starting QB and Quinn would be our back up QB. Tim Tebow could play TE/FB/QB. Just like Kordell Stewart in his first year with the Steelers. Brandstater might be either cut or 3rd string QB.

guessing Tb will be PS or IR this year as he has a season under his belt. If they can find a reason to IR him then he can be 3rd string or backup next year when Orton will be gone.

I do nto see Tebow starting this year but will be in as the Wild Ass Horses QB when the yard and down dictate it may work. But I doubt if he ever lines up as H back and even more so as TE or FB.

NightTrainLayne
05-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Cutler did it with Marshall and Scheffler out of state. I just can't imagine the word not getting out that Quinn has been at Dove Valley working out, practicing, etc, if he really has, since he has not been a Bronco that long.

Carol, I think that the story/quote refers to two different subjects. One, Tebow at rookie camp, two Quinn at workouts previous to the draft. It doesn't say that Quinn impressed "today" or "yesterday", leaving the time-frame open.

Ravage!!!
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, to see Orton traded off to Minnesota this offseason (maybe AZ) or another team that gets an injured QB if Quinn continues to show something. This way, you can get something from a desperate team for Orton, and Quinn can be the starter for the first part of the season until Tebow takes over.

Orton will NOT be a back up to Tebow next year. You just don't see that happening. But if Quinn knows going into this year, that his time will be in competition with Tebow throughout the season, it will be a similar situation as Cleveland.

Orton won't be here next year anyway.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-02-2010, 10:28 PM
guessing Tb will be PS or IR this year as he has a season under his belt. If they can find a reason to IR him then he can be 3rd string or backup next year when Orton will be gone.

I do nto see Tebow starting this year but will be in as the Wild Ass Horses QB when the yard and down dictate it may work. But I doubt if he ever lines up as H back and even more so as TE or FB.

Unless Coach McD changes his mind, he has already said that Tebow will play QB only.

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Carol, I think that the story/quote refers to two different subjects. One, Tebow at rookie camp, two Quinn at workouts previous to the draft. It doesn't say that Quinn impressed "today" or "yesterday", leaving the time-frame open.

Plus the press does not see all of the workouts either.

i suspect that if Orton or Quinn wanted to take some reps it would not be ruled out.

TXBRONC
05-02-2010, 11:14 PM

Cutler also spent time in Denver working on his game. I remember that because Shanahan called him gym rat and I'm pretty sure he said that Cutler had been around the facilities.

Bosco
05-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Well, he failed to impress one person in Dove Valley and that was Josh McDaniels. Because if he was really impressing everyone then Denver wouldn't have been so aggressive moving up for Tebow.

You realize that between the time we acquired Quinn and the time we drafted Tebow, it was the offseason, right?

titan
05-03-2010, 04:08 PM
I hope Quinn is looking good in offseason workouts but I wonder if this is an "intentional" leak by the broncos to boost quinn's confidence a bit. With all the attention on Tebow Brady has been the forgotten man.

I remember about this time last year we were hearing how Chris Simms was giving Orton a run for his money on being the starting quarterback in the offseason workouts. We know how that turned out.

TXBRONC
05-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I hope Quinn is looking good in offseason workouts but I wonder if this is an "intentional" leak by the broncos to boost quinn's confidence a bit. With all the attention on Tebow Brady has been the forgotten man.

I remember about this time last year we were hearing how Chris Simms was giving Orton a run for his money on being the starting quarterback in the offseason workouts. We know how that turned out.

I think all head coaches do that to one degree or another.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Wrong thread.

TXBRONC
05-03-2010, 06:55 PM
My theory is that guys are being talked up in an attempt to shop them around and see if we can get anything in return for them, that of course, is pure speculation.

That could be. But I think its more that McDaniels wants people to believe he made a good trade. I think all head coaches do that when they acquire a new player whether it's by trade, free agency, or the draft.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
That could be. But I think its more that McDaniels wants people to believe he made a good trade. I think all head coaches do that when they acquire a new player whether it's by trade, free agency, or the draft.

I was actually trying to post that on a completely different thread in the town hall. Don't know how that happens but it does.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-03-2010, 07:03 PM

DAMNIT I DID have the right thread NOW IM CONFUSED!!!

:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::shocked:

I am totallay lost on this forum!! I'm in the twilight zonE!!! no i'm not high. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

TXBRONC
05-03-2010, 07:17 PM
DAMNIT I DID have the right thread NOW IM CONFUSED!!!

:tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::tsk::shocked:

I am totallay lost on this forum!! I'm in the twilight zonE!!! no i'm not high. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

You're in the twilight zone dude. :D

dogfish
05-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised, to see Orton traded off to Minnesota this offseason (maybe AZ) or another team that gets an injured QB if Quinn continues to show something. This way, you can get something from a desperate team for Orton, and Quinn can be the starter for the first part of the season until Tebow takes over.

Orton will NOT be a back up to Tebow next year. You just don't see that happening. But if Quinn knows going into this year, that his time will be in competition with Tebow throughout the season, it will be a similar situation as Cleveland.

Orton won't be here next year anyway.

i agree with you that orton (i'm going to say *probably*) won't be here next year, but do you really think mcD would trade him THIS year? i'd hate to see that-- not even so much because i'm an orton fan or anything, but, the guy did produce reasonably solid numbers overall last year, and played well enough (yea, barely in some cases, but i'm primarily results-oriented) for us to win probably about as many games as our talent level merited last year. . .

i certainly don't view him as a likely long term solution, and because of that i am glad we drafted a young guy to try to fill that role. . . but i don't see any way that he's going to be ready to run the show this year, or at the very least not until/unless we drop out of playoff contention, and he's had some time to get up to speed, and allow our rebuilt line to do the same. . .

at least we know orton can play well enough to keep us competitive. . . and it's not fair to simply assume that he can't play better in his second year in the system, especially if he can manage to stay healthy for an entire season. . . hopefully we'll see some tougher inside run blocking and improved playcalling to help off-set the loss of marshall and scheffler's production until we can get our young receivers worked in. . . of course i do hold the opinion that orton will always be limited in some respects, but if we can finally manage to play consistent defense for an entire year, he IS the type of guy who you can trust to game-manage you to the playoffs and not blow it. . .

you can't say any of that about quinn. . . he hasn't proven shit at this level, except his inability to beat out poor competition. . . if mcD actually trades an average starter for a guy who's been a complete bust so far and a very raw rookie, he really is the moron some people make him out to be (or a genius if it works, of course, but i'd probably still call him a moron for chancing it). . . it would be a tremendously foolish risk-- especially considering that orton's dirt cheap for a starting QB, and unlikely to bring back anything of significant value in a trade. . . giving up the only QB on your roster that's proven capable of competing at this level right before the start of the season is like a career death wish. . . :laugh:

i believe i've seen you post comments elsewhere (correct me if i'm wrong) to the effect that mcD is absolutely going to start tebow at some point this season. . . seems to me that you think JMFMCD is ready to flush this season down the toilet before it's even started. . . while i won't deny that i do think he's somewhat reckless and a bit unconventional in his approach, i sure as hell hope he isn't THAT rash. . .

it's not like we're in a powerhouse division. . . obviously san diego is the favorite, but they've basically begged us to take it the past two years. . .

much like the cutler situation, i won't lose sleep over it if the vet starter is clearly ineffective and the coach decides the young guy is ready enough that his superior ability gives us the best chance to win. . . but shipping off our only currently qualified QB simply to clear the way to start a rookie, or based on nothing more than a few nice practices from a guy who's never done anything in this league is a vastly different scenario, and if he did that, as far as i'm concerned he would more than deserve all the criticism that move would generate. . .

i don't see him doing it, though. . .

rcsodak
05-03-2010, 09:05 PM

You mean McD didn't like how he looked coming off the plane....walking through the airport.....lifting weights.....stretching....playing grab ass?

Cuz there haven't been any scheduled team functions, between the time he was picked up, to the draft, that I know of. :coffee: