PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Interested in Alexander

WARHORSE
05-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Cincinnati is hardly the only team interested in former NFL MVP Shaun Alexander (http://www.nfl.com/players/shaunalexander/profile?id=ALE617460).
New Orleans also is. Denver might be. And now, after looking as if he could be stopped for no gain, Alexander could have options about where to spend the 2008 season.
The most obvious is Cincinnati, which met with Alexander on Sunday and Monday. With Cincinnati failing to draft any running backs, Alexander could provide some depth that the Bengals failed to procure last month. It also helps that Alexander, a former Mr. Kentucky football player, is revered in those parts.
But the Bengals might not be the only bidders. Like Cincinnati, New Orleans also drafted no running backs this year. But that doesn’t mean the Saints will not add any competition for Deuce McAllister (http://www.nfl.com/players/deucemcallister/profile?id=MCA644685), Reggie Bush (http://www.nfl.com/players/reggiebush/profile?id=BUS294963), Aaron Stecker (http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronstecker/profile?id=STE016516) and Pierre Thomas (http://www.nfl.com/players/pierrethomas/profile?id=THO085535).
For the past week, they have been planning to bring Alexander to New Orleans for a visit. It is not hard to understand why.
There are questions about McAllister’s durability, Bush’s ability and Stecker and Thomas in general. Alexander would provide New Orleans with another capable back, a primary every-down back. At the age of 31, the Saints and Bengals are curious to see whether Alexander can still be productive.
Additionally, the Broncos have expressed some interest in Alexander and could wind up bringing him to Denver for a visit. Denver’s interest appeared to be more preliminary, yet it represented a third potential team interested in Alexander’s services.

Seattle lost faith in the 31-year-old Alexander. But it now seems as if there will be at least one team that is willing to take a leap of faith on the running back that was the NFL’s MVP only two seasons ago.

WARHORSE
05-07-2008, 12:05 AM
I think if Alexander getting cut makes him get the juices flowing, then he will be worth taking a look at................at the right price. He can benefit from the zone scheme we run and has the ability to thrive in it. Not to mention he has hands.

Stargazer
05-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Cincinnati is hardly the only team interested in former NFL MVP Shaun Alexander (http://www.nfl.com/players/shaunalexander/profile?id=ALE617460).
New Orleans also is. Denver might be. And now, after looking as if he could be stopped for no gain, Alexander could have options about where to spend the 2008 season.
The most obvious is Cincinnati, which met with Alexander on Sunday and Monday. With Cincinnati failing to draft any running backs, Alexander could provide some depth that the Bengals failed to procure last month. It also helps that Alexander, a former Mr. Kentucky football player, is revered in those parts.
But the Bengals might not be the only bidders. Like Cincinnati, New Orleans also drafted no running backs this year. But that doesn’t mean the Saints will not add any competition for Deuce McAllister (http://www.nfl.com/players/deucemcallister/profile?id=MCA644685), Reggie Bush (http://www.nfl.com/players/reggiebush/profile?id=BUS294963), Aaron Stecker (http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronstecker/profile?id=STE016516) and Pierre Thomas (http://www.nfl.com/players/pierrethomas/profile?id=THO085535).
For the past week, they have been planning to bring Alexander to New Orleans for a visit. It is not hard to understand why.
There are questions about McAllister’s durability, Bush’s ability and Stecker and Thomas in general. Alexander would provide New Orleans with another capable back, a primary every-down back. At the age of 31, the Saints and Bengals are curious to see whether Alexander can still be productive.
Additionally, the Broncos have expressed some interest in Alexander and could wind up bringing him to Denver for a visit. Denver’s interest appeared to be more preliminary, yet it represented a third potential team interested in Alexander’s services.

Seattle lost faith in the 31-year-old Alexander. But it now seems as if there will be at least one team that is willing to take a leap of faith on the running back that was the NFL’s MVP only two seasons ago.

Uhhhhhhhhhh

Medford Bronco
05-07-2008, 12:08 AM
If he was healthy I would like him better

than "Father of the Year" at RB

sneakers
05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
He now reminds me of Ron Burnstein.

honz
05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Ugh...with how bad he looked last year, I'm going to have to say no.

The Seahawks are my second favorite team and I saw a lot of Alexander last year...I think he is over the hill and his career is pretty much done. The fact that no one has signed him yet makes me feel like I am not alone.

Medford Bronco
05-07-2008, 12:20 AM
He now reminds me of Ron Burnstein.

you mean Rod Bernstine :laugh:

and if Alexander is slow and done then not a good fit.

I still hate Henry though, He is a moron and loser

sneakers
05-07-2008, 12:26 AM
you mean Rod Bernstine :laugh:

and if Alexander is slow and done then not a good fit.

I still hate Henry though, He is a moron and loser

It was close enough :D

I do remember however, robert delpino

Simple Jaded
05-07-2008, 01:15 AM
This can't be right, the Broncos have no need for Shaun Alexander, they have Ryan Torain......

DenBronx
05-07-2008, 01:38 AM
id rather us bring in van pelt as our running back.

TimBuff10
05-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Bring him in... Never can tell what a change of scenery can do. Can't hurt to have an extra good running back in the stable and he could easily have a couple good years left in him.

dogfish
05-07-2008, 01:45 AM
no thanks to soft shaun. . . why spend more money to bring in a big name vet whose game is in serious decline?

TXBRONC
05-07-2008, 05:53 AM
The Broncos have expressed some interest, that sounds like they are kinda lukewarm to the idea.

Brand
05-07-2008, 06:27 AM
Nopers.....

LRtagger
05-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Barf

Flatinum
05-07-2008, 08:52 AM
No, Nada, No way........

Bringing in over the hill, best years behind them, other teams cast offs doesn't work. Case in point - see Broncos over the last few years.

LRtagger
05-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Him and Travis Henry can mash each others prunes and help sort each others vitamins

honz
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
No, Nada, No way........

Bringing in over the hill, best years behind them, other teams cast offs doesn't work. Case in point - see Broncos over the last few years.
That's not fair to say...Sam Adams and Simeon Rice really helped us last year.:laugh:

jrelway
05-07-2008, 09:59 AM
waste of a roster spot. even if he does play for a small salary. he went to shame once mack strong retired. now theres a FB i wish we had at his prime.

Nomad
05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
no thanks to soft shaun. . . why spend more money to bring in a big name vet whose game is in serious decline?

Yeah really! Wasn't he the one who was glad when Seattle moved out of the AFC West because of the defenses and physical play. After this years draft, the AFC West hasn't gotten any softer.

broncosaurus
05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Alexander wouldn't be a bad addition. Give him a 1 year, 1 million dollar deal and let him duke it out with the others for a spot. He can still be productive, particularly in this scheme. If he doesn't make it, the cap hit is minimal. Why not?

Ziggy
05-07-2008, 12:14 PM
I'm a fan of bringing in competition at every position. IF...he comes cheap. I haven't seen him run well since he lost his FB and Steve Hutchinson. His success may have been a product of the system more than his skills. They were opening holes in Seattle in those years that I could have run through and gotten 1000 yards. But hey, if he comes cheaply enough (which I doubt he will), bring him in and let him compete.

G_Money
05-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Alexander likes to fall down with no one touching him. Great for extending his career, bad for gaining that last needed yard. He also likes to dance jigs in the hole.

Have I mentioned the age and the mileage?

Keep him the hell away from my team.

~G

Retired_Member_001
05-08-2008, 12:41 PM
If we sign him, it's going to be a repeat of Simeon Rice. The only thing is, Alexander is classier than Simeon Rice so it won't be as messy afterwards.

Let's just pass on him, if we wanted a running back, we should have drafted Jonathan Stewart.

Brand
05-08-2008, 12:50 PM
There is a chick down the street I am interested in.

That ain't gonna happen, either.....

broncosfanscott
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh NO.

Kaylore
05-08-2008, 03:33 PM
They reported on NFL network yesterday that the Broncos have cooled on Alexander. My guess is they briefly asked what kind of money he was looking for and it never went further than that.

Day1BroncoFan
05-08-2008, 03:45 PM
I say we don't bring any more on the downhill side of things players.

cmhargrove
05-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Ummmmm.

We don't have any players with a gap in their front teeth.
The Giants won a Superbowl that way
Ergo - we need to do what the Giants did.
Get a gap-toothed player, win a Superbowl

I'm just sayin'...http://www.foxnews.com/images/253834/0_21_strahan_michael.jpg

Nature Boy
05-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Not gonna happen. More smoke and mirrors from Camp Shanahan.

TXBRONC
05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
If we sign him, it's going to be a repeat of Simeon Rice. The only thing is, Alexander is classier than Simeon Rice so it won't be as messy afterwards.

Let's just pass on him, if we wanted a running back, we should have drafted Jonathan Stewart.

I'm not so sure it will be repeat of Rice. We already have a lot backs going into camp, it could be very difficult for him to even make the team. That is of coarse assuming that Denver has more than a passing interest in him.

Northman
05-09-2008, 08:31 AM
No. Alexander is not worth it unless he comes in dirt cheap. He is more injury prone than Henry at this point.

eessydo
05-09-2008, 08:34 AM
If he wants to work for peanuts, then sure bring him in and see if he makes the roster. If he wants a mint, no way

Zweems56
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Injury prone and he got soft. He would need to be foaming at the mouth in the interview for me to even look at him twice.

broncosfanscott
05-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Ever since he was on the Madden cover it has been nothing but bad times.

Sodak
05-09-2008, 11:06 PM
He reminds me of Garrision Hearst. No thanks. Don't waste the money, just send it to me. I'll invest it wisely.

Bad Intentions
05-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Yeah, Garrison Hearst minus the heart, speed, and will to be a team player... but other than those three little things, yeah just like Hearst.

You put Alexander 2 or 3 deep at RB and he'll cry and whine his way out of town. He's nothing like Hearst.

weazel
05-10-2008, 12:16 PM
I wonder if Doug Flutie wants to come in and compete for the starting QB gig?

Acedude
05-10-2008, 01:48 PM
They could bring Alexander in to show the young guys how a gunshy vet RB looks after ten years in the League, how a washed-up vet looks trying to hang on for one more paycheck. Sounds kind of depressing for the youngsters.

Broncospsycho77
05-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that Alexander was a product of a great running system in Seattle, with best-in-the-league FB Strong leading and giving Alexander some stunning holes. Since Strong retired, Alexander's career fell down the drain. There's a reason that he's not on Seattle and that the Seahawks went RB crazy this offseason.

Alexander had his time in Seattle at the most expendable position in football, and I secretly kind of like him/wish him well, but he's not the answer in Denver.

Bad Intentions
05-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that Alexander was a product of a great running system in Seattle, with best-in-the-league FB Strong leading and giving Alexander some stunning holes. Since Strong retired, Alexander's career fell down the drain. There's a reason that he's not on Seattle and that the Seahawks went RB crazy this offseason.

Alexander had his time in Seattle at the most expendable position in football, and I secretly kind of like him/wish him well, but he's not the answer in Denver.

OMG... You think maybe (just maybe) Walter Jones and Hutch had something to do with his running success? I think those two had a helluva lot more to do with his success than a FB. Are you going to tell me that KC's running game went to hell in a handbasket b/c Richardson went to Minny? No Roaf, no Shields, no runnning game. Easy to understand. Oh how I miss that NeckponyNation crew!

dogfish
05-10-2008, 07:56 PM
OMG... You think maybe (just maybe) Walter Jones and Hutch had something to do with his running success? I think those two had a helluva lot more to do with his success than a FB. Are you going to tell me that KC's running game went to hell in a handbasket b/c Richardson went to Minny? No Roaf, no Shields, no runnning game. Easy to understand. Oh how I miss that NeckponyNation crew!

relax-- i'm pretty sure that "product of a great running system" can be construed to include jones and hutch. . . . ;)

NameUsedBefore
05-10-2008, 08:21 PM

Although those two lineman were great contributors to his success, you'd be surprised at how beneficial a solid FB can be to a RB.

O-ManePunisher
05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Alexander??? No thanks

Sodak
05-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah, Garrison Hearst minus the heart, speed, and will to be a team player... but other than those three little things, yeah just like Hearst.

You put Alexander 2 or 3 deep at RB and he'll cry and whine his way out of town. He's nothing like Hearst.

He will be just as productive as Hearst was in a Bronco uniform if they pick him up. Waste of space. Hearst was done before he got here. So is Alexander. Yep. They're nothing alike...

Superchop 7
05-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Although those two lineman were great contributors to his success, you'd be surprised at how beneficial a solid FB can be to a RB.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

YOU ARE SOOOOOOOOOOO RIGHT. (LOOK AT THE DRAFT)

TDmvp
05-11-2008, 04:38 AM
no thx unless he comes hella cheap for depth ... but hey it could be worse , this could be a Chad Johnson thread ...

TXBRONC
05-11-2008, 10:09 PM

I agree the two are nothing alike, and that's because Alexander in his prime was twice the back that Hearst was in his.

Also by the time Hearst got to Denver he had nothing left in the tank.