PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Point: Orton in no-win situation

Magnificent Seven
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
First, he had Brady Quinn breathing down his bearded neck. Now, the legend of Tim Tebow looms. And the future of the head coach is tied to the decision of drafting the work-in-progress Tebow. The entire Broncos' quarterback situation is a pressure point.

So where does that leave Kyle Orton? This is a guy who passed for over 3,800 yards and 21 touchdowns while throwing only 12 interceptions in his first season with the Broncos. In Year 2 in Josh McDaniels' system, he is bound to have a better feel for the play calling and offense as a whole. But of course, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler will not be catching passes for the Broncos in 2010, which won't help his numbers. It also won't help Orton that superstar LT Ryan Clady tore his patellar tendon this week and might not be ready for the season. Let's just say that the Broncos' offensive line can't afford for Scheffler to be absent -- which is one of the understatements of the year.

But, much like when former Denver coach Mike Shanahan drafted Jay Cutler and inserted him into the Broncos' lineup during a playoff run over incumbent starter Jake Plummer, Orton -- like Plummer -- is limited and has a low ceiling. Soon, McDaniel is bound to look at this situation in much the same way as Shanahan did years before. So, in a way, Orton is in a no-win situation, which is an awfully difficult pressure point.

He is smart, plays with injuries and clearly values the football, which is more than many starters in this league can say for themselves. But Orton really doesn't have any outstanding physical characteristics, and most troubling is that he is unable to drive the ball deep downfield and hasn't shown consistency attacking outside the numbers on more difficult throws. When you play your home games in Denver, having a strong arm is a must.

With Orton behind center last year, just about every pass that McDaniels called was designed to have the ball come out quickly with shorter, easier throws. Such play calling isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of your starting quarterback. He isn't a playmaker or someone who makes those around him a lot better. Even though, right now, Orton is the best signal-caller on the team, he probably is never going to put the Broncos on his shoulders. That's the business of the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5153872

broncobryce
05-01-2010, 03:01 PM
First, he had Brady Quinn breathing down his bearded neck. Now, the legend of Tim Tebow looms. And the future of the head coach is tied to the decision of drafting the work-in-progress Tebow. The entire Broncos' quarterback situation is a pressure point.

So where does that leave Kyle Orton? This is a guy who passed for over 3,800 yards and 21 touchdowns while throwing only 12 interceptions in his first season with the Broncos. In Year 2 in Josh McDaniels' system, he is bound to have a better feel for the play calling and offense as a whole. But of course, Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler will not be catching passes for the Broncos in 2010, which won't help his numbers. It also won't help Orton that superstar LT Ryan Clady tore his patellar tendon this week and might not be ready for the season. Let's just say that the Broncos' offensive line can't afford for Scheffler to be absent -- which is one of the understatements of the year.

But, much like when former Denver coach Mike Shanahan drafted Jay Cutler and inserted him into the Broncos' lineup during a playoff run over incumbent starter Jake Plummer, Orton -- like Plummer -- is limited and has a low ceiling. Soon, McDaniel is bound to look at this situation in much the same way as Shanahan did years before. So, in a way, Orton is in a no-win situation, which is an awfully difficult pressure point.

He is smart, plays with injuries and clearly values the football, which is more than many starters in this league can say for themselves. But Orton really doesn't have any outstanding physical characteristics, and most troubling is that he is unable to drive the ball deep downfield and hasn't shown consistency attacking outside the numbers on more difficult throws. When you play your home games in Denver, having a strong arm is a must.

With Orton behind center last year, just about every pass that McDaniels called was designed to have the ball come out quickly with shorter, easier throws. Such play calling isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of your starting quarterback. He isn't a playmaker or someone who makes those around him a lot better. Even though, right now, Orton is the best signal-caller on the team, he probably is never going to put the Broncos on his shoulders. That's the business of the NFL.

He must mean Clady here, because Chef was never much of a blocker.

broncobryce
05-01-2010, 03:02 PM
As far as Orton, if he can drive us down to the red zone, maybe Tebow can get us into the end zone from there. Orton may not like it, but if it helps the team win he will have to live with it.

dogfish
05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
no win situation my ass. . . his situation doesn't look all that different from drew brees his last year in san diego, and that worked out okay. . .

of course, brees is also a considerably better player than orton, but still. . . the guy may not have a long term future here unless he wants to stay on at a reasonable price as tebow's backup, but he does get the chance to go out and start again and audition for the rest of the league, and no player deserves any more opportunity than that. . . either he's good enough, and he gets a chance to start somewhere else, or he crumbles like jake plummer and kicks around the league a few years before retiring. . .

either way, he's not getting anything resembling a bad deal! he was probably on the outs in chicago one way or another, and we brought him in and gave him a chance to continue starting that he may or may not have gotten elsewhere. . . now he's getting a high tender offer and another chance-- more than fair. . . if your name's not manning or brady, and you aren't leading your team to the playoffs, there isn't any five year guarantee. . .

Northman
05-01-2010, 03:18 PM
no win situation my ass. . . his situation doesn't look all that different from drew brees his last year in san diego, and that worked out okay. . .

of course, brees is also a considerably better player than orton, but still. . . the guy may not have a long term future here unless he wants to stay on at a reasonable price as tebow's backup, but he does get the chance to go out and start again and audition for the rest of the league, and no player deserves any more opportunity than that. . . either he's good enough, and he gets a chance to start somewhere else, or he crumbles like jake plummer and kicks around the league a few years before retiring. . .

either way, he's not getting anything resembling a bad deal! he was probably on the outs in chicago one way or another, and we brought him in and gave him a chance to continue starting that he may or may not have gotten elsewhere. . . now he's getting a high tender offer and another chance-- more than fair. . . if your name's not manning or brady, and you aren't leading your team to the playoffs, there isn't any five year guarantee. . .

You dont think that SD is just kicking themselves a little bit for letting Brees go? Although i agree that Brees is far better than Orton im not sure i would of used that comparison to begin with. :lol:

broncophan
05-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I am putting the over/under of games played before Tebow starts at 5.

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 03:21 PM
When you play your home games in Denver, having a strong arm is a must.

if anything you need less of an arm in the thin air.

That plus the scheffler comment pointed out already has me wondering if they have a clue.

Any way what do we expect from ESPN

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I really, really hope McD doesn't pull a QB controversy, this team still hasn't recovered from benching plummer for cutler.

claymore
05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Orton is the best backup QB in the league. If we cant keep him in that capacity I hope we can get a 5th rounder for him.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Orton is the best backup QB in the league.

True, as reliable and solid as one can get makes him the best and most consistent backup.

If we cant keep him in that capacity I hope we can get a 5th rounder for him.

You know he's more more than that.

claymore
05-01-2010, 03:36 PM
True, as reliable and solid as one can get makes him the best and most consistent backup.

He's not as good as plummer and plummer was worth a 4th. I dont see anyone giving a 2nd, 3rd for Orton. He isnt going to start anywhere, and he is not a future franchise QB anywhere. By the time he leaves Denver it would be his 3rd team in 3 years (possibly). I dont think he is worth more than a 5th right now.

But thats just my opinion which obviously is biased and not worth shit. :D

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 03:38 PM
But thats just my opinion which obviously is biased and not worth shit. :D

:elefant::laugh::lol::shocked::mad::salute::elefan t:

Tned
05-01-2010, 03:40 PM

First, of all, unless something screwy happens with the CBA, he will be an unrestricted free agent, so we won't be getting anything for him.

However, if we were trading him, he probably wouldn't bring in much more than a 5th, give or take. Remember, he was a throw in on the Cutler trade. If you try and make the case that Orton would bring let's say a first round pick, then that means Chicago gave Denver the equivalent of three 1st round picks for Cutler.

He had a decent year in Denver, but that's all. He was a big part of that horrendous 2-8 finish. It's not like he was lighting it up, putting 30+ points on the board every week, and the defense was just giving up 35+ each game.

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 03:46 PM
if anything you need less of an arm in the thin air.

That plus the scheffler comment pointed out already has me wondering if they have a clue.

Any way what do we expect from ESPN

I know, right? Because Scheffler was such a great blocking TE that his presence will be missed now that Clady is hurt :lol:

EMB6903
05-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I really, really hope McD doesn't pull a QB controversy, this team still hasn't recovered from benching plummer for cutler.

what? Plummer absolutely sucked that year.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 04:12 PM
what? Plummer absolutely sucked that year.

I'm not saying he didn't, i'm saying it split the locker room and the team is still rebuilding from that particular fallout, what this team needs is some consistency.

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 04:20 PM
I'm not saying he didn't, i'm saying it split the locker room and the team is still rebuilding from that particular fallout, what this team needs is some consistency.

I agree completely. Consistency and a year without cameras peering in 24 hours a day due to some controversy. In the last five years we have had one year without some type of controversy. 06 saw the Cutler vs Plummer ordeal, which carried well into 07. 08 was the year we actually had close to no distractions. 09 with Cutler and McDaniels, and now 2010 with Tebow/Orton/kinda Quinn. The team could use a quiet year, and some consistency, especially at the Defensive coordinator position.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree completely. Consistency and a year without cameras peering in 24 hours a day due to some controversy. In the last five years we have had one year without some type of controversy. 06 saw the Cutler vs Plummer ordeal, which carried well into 07. 08 was the year we actually had close to no distractions. 09 with Cutler and McDaniels, and now 2010 with Tebow/Orton/kinda Quinn. The team could use a quiet year, and some consistency, especially at the Defensive coordinator position.

My sentiments exactly. Think 'Ravens', not 2007 Bengals.

Tempus Fugit
05-01-2010, 04:51 PM
If Orton goes out and has a good season, he becomes a nice commodity on the free agent market. I don't see how that's a "no-win" scenario.

broncophan
05-01-2010, 05:01 PM
First, of all, unless something screwy happens with the CBA, he will be an unrestricted free agent, so we won't be getting anything for him.

However, if we were trading him, he probably wouldn't bring in much more than a 5th, give or take. Remember, he was a throw in on the Cutler trade. If you try and make the case that Orton would bring let's say a first round pick, then that means Chicago gave Denver the equivalent of three 1st round picks for Cutler.

He had a decent year in Denver, but that's all. He was a big part of that horrendous 2-8 finish. It's not like he was lighting it up, putting 30+ points on the board every week, and the defense was just giving up 35+ each game.

I wonder if we would trade Orton just before the season??
It seems.....almost every year..a qb or two..... gets hurt in the preseason......if that is the case.....then, I think we could do a little better than a 4th or 5th round pick for Orton.

Although ,I would hate to think of the Broncos not having Orton as a starter this upcoming season...not a huge beleiver in Orton......but I would feel better with him as a starter to begin the season, than any of our other 3 qb's.

WARHORSE
05-01-2010, 05:20 PM
What QB controversy is there when the coach says the best player will play?

Orton will get the reps as a starter.

If someone wants to take those away, then they have to earn it. If Quinn earns the reps, then so be it. If Tebow, then so be it.

Let the games begin.

Tned
05-01-2010, 05:37 PM
It seems.....almost every year..a qb or two..... gets hurt in the preseason......if that is the case.....then, I think we could do a little better than a 4th or 5th round pick for Orton.

Although ,I would hate to think of the Broncos not having Orton as a starter this upcoming season...not a huge beleiver in Orton......but I would feel better with him as a starter to begin the season, than any of our other 3 qb's.

I would be very surprised if McDaniels traded Orton before the season started. I think for that to happen, Quinn and Tebow would have to both convince him they were ready to start.

Also, I don't think we would get more than a 4th or 5th, because Orton just doesn't bring that much to the table, especially if he goes to an offense that doesn't focus on so many short throws, WR screens, but more importantly they would only be getting the QB for one year, which greatly diminishes his trade value.

But, it's really hard to know.

broncophan
05-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I would be very surprised if McDaniels traded Orton before the season started. I think for that to happen, Quinn and Tebow would have to both convince him they were ready to start.

Also, I don't think we would get more than a 4th or 5th, because Orton just doesn't bring that much to the table, especially if he goes to an offense that doesn't focus on so many short throws, WR screens, but more importantly they would only be getting the QB for one year, which greatly diminishes his trade value.

But, it's really hard to know.

Yea..........you just don't know with McD.......I never thought he would trade a 2, 3, and a 4th rounder......to draft Tebow.......but if he would do that....then nothing he does would surprise me.

Tned
05-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Yea..........you just don't know with McD.......I never thought he would trade a 2, 3, and a 4th rounder......to draft Tebow.......but if he would do that....then nothing he does would surprise me.

Well, I don't have an issue with the 2, 3 and 4, because when it was all said and done with the trading back and trading up, he basically spent a 1st and a 2nd on Thomas and Tebow.

BroncoJoe
05-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Well, I don't have an issue with the 2, 3 and 4, because when it was all said and done with the trading back and trading up, he basically spent a 1st and a 2nd on Thomas and Tebow.

The statement you quoted is just an uneducated spew of McD hatred.

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 05:51 PM
What QB controversy is there when the coach says the best player will play?

Orton will get the reps as a starter.

If someone wants to take those away, then they have to earn it. If Quinn earns the reps, then so be it. If Tebow, then so be it.

Let the games begin.

It's not really a matter of the best player winning or the coaching staffs decision regarding it, its a matter of media. Of players being questioned constantly about a QB situation. Not just Orton, Tebow, or Quinn but other players. It's draining to be asked over and over about the QB situation, just as it is equally draining asking a team about an unbeaten streak. A lot of these players just want to concentrate on football. It would be nice to have a year where these guys on this team have no distractions, and a full blown media frenzy is a distraction (and I'm not saying you change your draft strategy based on this alone, this is just an observation as a fan).

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 05:55 PM
GOOD post :salute:

BUT so far I see no controversy in
Tebow/Orton/kinda Quinn. Josh has made it very plain that Orton is the starter and for right now Tebow is #4 on the roster/depth chart.

He is going to give them all the chance to work them selves up or down the depth chart. THEN HE will make that decision who is where anyhow much progress they have or have not made.

The only controversy going, is from those that insist a #1 choice has to start in their first year or they are a bust. While ignoring the facts that MANY #1 choices in MOST cases picked way higher that Tebow was did not start year one.

Tned
05-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Nahh, there are quite a few posters that have been ardent McDaniels supporters that have a similar feeling about drafting Tebow and the price being too high.

Tned
05-01-2010, 06:02 PM
BUT so far I see no controversy in Josh has made it very plain that Orton is the starter and for right now Tebow is #4 on the roster/depth chart.

He is going to give them all the chance to work them selves up or down the depth chart. THEN HE will make that decision who is where anyhow much progress they have or have not made.

The only controversy going, is from those that insist a #1 choice has to start in their first year or they are a bust. While ignoring the facts that MANY #1 choices in MOST cases picked way higher that Tebow was did not start year one.

As BigBronc said, what makes a QB controversy isn't what the coach's plan for the QB's are, it's the media and fans constantly asking and making the QB depth chart the focus.

McDaniels has said that Orton is the starter, but just like any other position, if someone outplays him, then that person will win the right to start (or something like that).

So, while it is a stretch to say there is a QB controversy today, all it will take for there to be a real one is for Orton to struggle in camp and Tebow or Quinn to play well, and it would get even worse if it happens in the pre-season.

While I think the most likely scenario is Tebow starting in '11, there is no doubt that "when will Tebow start?" will be a question that McDaniels and the players on the team will be dealing with all offseason and all season (assuming Tebow doesn't start game one). Orton will constantly be asked about Tebow.

While I am glad Tebow was drafted, I also am not looking forward to the constant distraction it's going to be.

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 06:03 PM

BUT so far I see no controversy in Josh has made it very plain that Orton is the starter and for right now Tebow is #4 on the roster/depth chart.

Exactly. I see a very wide difference between what the coaching staff is expecting and what the fans/media is expecting. What I'm talking about so much does not apply to the Broncos organization itself rather then the questions from outside creeping in day in and day out. Its a taxing ordeal for the players and staff without a doubt and I just wish the media and fans would lay off the Tebow talk and the controversy they promote and let things play out as they will.

T.K.O.
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
if professional atheletes get "drained" by answering an occasional question about "the qb situation" or any other question that 80% of teams go through regularly then i doubt they can handle 16 games of nfl football:laugh:

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 06:09 PM
if professional atheletes get "drained" by answering an occasional question about "the qb situation" or any other question that 80% of teams go through regularly then i doubt they can handle 16 games of nfl football:laugh:

Ask anyone on the 98 Bronco Football team. Continual questions from the media regarding the same thing over and over changes things (the unbeaten record being their cross to bear). Watch Americas Game 98 Broncos for a little mroe insight on it. There is a wide difference between physical drain and mental drain and one shouldn't discount either.

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Exactly. I see a very wide difference between what the coaching staff is expecting and what the fans/media is expecting. What I'm talking about so much does not apply to the Broncos organization itself rather then the questions from outside creeping in day in and day out. Its a taxing ordeal for the players and staff without a doubt and I just wish the media and fans would lay off the Tebow talk and the controversy they promote and let things play out as they will.
As much As I agree with you.

Just KNOW that the media is paid to sell ads or commercials therefore the worst will be said just to raise ratings.

broncophan
05-01-2010, 06:19 PM

You, sir, are wrong.
No McD hatred from me......in fact, I am a fan of McD...I just stated he traded a 2, 3, and 4th rounder to draft Tebow.......and, that being said.....nothing he would do, would surprise me.......I very much understand who we have drafted....and although I hated Tebow as a Florida qb......being a bronco fan.....I am now a Tebow fan as well.

Have never said anything negative towards McD......:listen:..so don't get me confused with all the McD hatred that goes on around here.....

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 06:20 PM
As much As I agree with you.

Just KNOW that the media is paid to sell ads or commercials therefore the worst will be said just to raise ratings.

Of course. Media is an animal that feeds itself. The term, "if it bleeds it leads" is there for a reason. Media is self serving and will do what it will. As a fan though it would b nice to see the Broncos able to make a set of decisions that avoided it. I said before you don't change your draft strategy because of it, but damned if the team doesn't deserve a season without a new distraction.

T.K.O.
05-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Of course. Media is an animal that feeds itself. The term, "if it bleeds it leads" is there for a reason. Media is self serving and will do what it will. As a fan though it would b nice to see the Broncos able to make a set of decisions that avoided it. I said before you don't change your draft strategy because of it, but damned if the team doesn't deserve a season without a new distraction.

so it would be better to keep the same coaches and players to avoid distractions....even if the current system produces .500 records consistantly ?
i'm not trying to be a smartazz just wondering how a team avoids these "distractions" when trying to improve

rcsodak
05-01-2010, 06:33 PM

Colleen Dominquez....(yumm)...says McD says that TT has the highest level of intelect he's ever seen, and has about 50% of the playbook down already.

:shocked:

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 06:33 PM
so it would be better to keep the same coaches and players to avoid distractions....even if the current system produces .500 records consistantly ?
i'm not trying to be a smartazz just wondering how a team avoids these "distractions" when trying to improve

Lets not go shoving words in my mouth. I never suggested anything like it. Infact if you look at my previous posts you will see I have a very different point of view. For this purpose I will simply repost a portion of the post right above yours....

I said before you don't change your draft strategy because of it, but damned if the team doesn't deserve a season without a new distraction.
Today 03:19 PM

rcsodak
05-01-2010, 06:37 PM

He really didn't, if you think about it.

He went in with 7 picks, and still came out with 7 players (not including 2 7's from next year's 5th).

rcsodak
05-01-2010, 06:39 PM

There's plenty of #1 busts, just from the AFCW, in the last few years.

Tned
05-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Colleen Dominquez....(yumm)...says McD says that TT has the highest level of intelect he's ever seen, and has about 50% of the playbook down already.

:shocked:

Here's your yummy talking about Tebow and knowing 50% of the offense:

Q77pE4OFS8w

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 06:42 PM
Damn Tebow may start sooner than we think. :shocked:

Tned
05-01-2010, 06:45 PM
He really didn't, if you think about it.

He went in with 7 picks, and still came out with 7 players (not including 2 7's from next year's 5th).

For many, the fact that he 'accumulated' those extra picks soley for the purpose of being able to move back into the first doesn't matter. It's as if they look at the fact that at one point he had 10 picks as the only thing that matters, and therefore gave up too much for Tebow. :confused:

As I have said, when you net out all the trade backs and trade ups, he basically gave a 1st and a 2nd for Thomas and Tebow. That really isn't bad at all. While through those trades he also wound up moving back in the 2nd and 3rd, he also converted a 4th to a 3rd, which should make up for dropping a few spots in the 2nd and 3rd.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2010, 06:57 PM
Well.. if you are able to put 4 quarters in your pocket, no matter how you found/got the quarters.. if you spend those four quarters on a coke, you still spent four quarters. You didn't get the coke for free.

broncophan
05-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Well.. if you are able to put 4 quarters in your pocket, no matter how you found/got the quarters.. if you spend those four quarters on a coke, you still spent four quarters. You didn't get the coke for free.

:confused::confused::confused:

GGMoogly
05-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Give me an Orange Crush any day!

Mr D
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Orton's writing has been on the wall. He simply cannot take advantage of the deep balls - the offense is way too limited with him in the line up because his deep ball is not effective enough.

Not sure why everyone is jumping on Orton's nut sacks now - 1st everyone wanted Simms in and then finally appreciated Orton.

When you need the ball fit into tight windows - Orton isn't reliable. When he moves in the pockets he is the complete opposite of having light feet - he has legs/feed that look like they have bricks cemented to them.

I'll tell you you this tho - he is accurate in short - medium and makes smart plays.

I remember when Plummer was our QB and it was nerve racking every time he threw from the pocket - even when he had that ridiculous streak of no INTs... but the offense was simply too limited. I know that IS what coaches are paid for... but we need to look @ reality here.

When Cutler was in I remember how GREAT and amazing it felt to actually have a QB we can open up the whole playbook to and take advantage of the WHOLE field.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.thesabre.com/sabremail/images/orange/orangecrush.gif

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=Mr D;969514]Orton's writing has been on the wall. He simply cannot take advantage of the deep balls - the offense is way too limited with him in the line up because his deep ball is not effective enough.

Oh? I recall the Redskins game he threw 3 deep balls, 2 were touchdowns one was overthrown, 2/3 being touchdowns is not bad at all.

Not sure why everyone is jumping on Orton's nut sacks now - 1st everyone wanted Simms in and then finally appreciated Orton.

I never wanted simms, he's never been good. :coffee:

When you need the ball fit into tight windows - Orton isn't reliable. Like the touchdowns he threw in tiny windows particularly the perfect ones to knowshon and sheff?

When he moves in the pockets he is the complete opposite of having light feet - he has legs/feed that look like they have bricks cemented to them.

So does the best QB in the league.

I'll tell you you this tho - he is accurate in short - medium and makes smart plays.

yup.

broncophan
05-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Orton's writing has been on the wall. He simply cannot take advantage of the deep balls - the offense is way too limited with him in the line up because his deep ball is not effective enough.

When you need the ball fit into tight windows - Orton isn't reliable. When he moves in the pockets he is the complete opposite of having light feet - he has legs/feed that look like they have bricks cemented to them.

I remember when Plummer was our QB and it was nerve racking every time he threw from the pocket - even when he had that ridiculous streak of no INTs... but the offense was simply too limited. I know that IS what coaches are paid for... but we need to look @ reality here.

When Cutler was in I remember how GREAT and amazing it felt to actually have a QB we can open up the whole playbook to and take advantage of the WHOLE field.

You were on to something there until that last sentence.....
and....I am not sure who ALL those people were who wanted Simms...

GGMoogly
05-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Orton + neckbeard + mouth breathing = Kubiak

I really liked Kubes,too, but...:ohwell:

Tned
05-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Oh? I recall the Redskins game he threw 3 deep balls, 2 were touchdowns one was overthrown, 2/3 being touchdowns is not bad at all.

While I was very happy to see some deep balls finally thrown, we wound talking a lot about those throws. The WR's were open by 10+ yards, and Orton threw high, rainbows to the point where defenders were able to close the gap and almost make a play on two of them (going by memory on exact details).

Something Orton reportedly struggled with in camp, struggled with in Chicago, and in limited tries struggled with in Denver, was accuracy on the deep ball.

Tned
05-01-2010, 07:50 PM
You were on to something there until that last sentence.....
and....I am not sure who ALL those people were who wanted Simms...

I couldn't give you a list, but there were quite a few calling for him during training camp/pre-season and also into the season.

TXBRONC
05-01-2010, 07:58 PM
For many, the fact that he 'accumulated' those extra picks soley for the purpose of being able to move back into the first doesn't matter. It's as if they look at the fact that at one point he had 10 picks as the only thing that matters, and therefore gave up too much for Tebow. :confused:

As I have said, when you net out all the trade backs and trade ups, he basically gave a 1st and a 2nd for Thomas and Tebow. That really isn't bad at all. While through those trades he also wound up moving back in the 2nd and 3rd, he also converted a 4th to a 3rd, which should make up for dropping a few spots in the 2nd and 3rd.

I thinks it's a lot picks use regardless of when you get them. I do understand that he accumulated them with purpose of getting back into the first round. If Tebow turns into the franchise quarterback we're hoping the media and most wont care. It will be considered good move. If Tebow should falter it will be used to criticize him.

TXBRONC
05-01-2010, 08:07 PM

Orton is accurate in the short to intermediate passing game. The problem is defensive coordinators know that too. Defenses started smothering those routes which in turn was part of the reason running faltered.

Mr D
05-01-2010, 08:08 PM

lol seriously? The REDSKINS game? Those throws didn't exactly require the skills I am talking about. I mean this goes under the title, he makes smart plays. Marshall was wide open with no one within 20 yards... even Shaun Hill could make these throws.

And that TD he over threw was ridiculous - yeah elite QB's mess up all the time - but when you stress the limitation of deep ball attempts and making the most out of them... along with rarely attempting them, when you overthrow those it's kinda bad.

2/3 touchdowns isn't bad - but considering the passes that needed to be made it should have 3/3 - period.

I never wanted simms, he's never been good. :coffee:

That's cool. When Obama references America and it's citizens - there will be outliers.

Seriously though - "everyone" is a loose term... there were MANY people who wanted to see what he could do since he had a good game or 2 in the pre-season.

Like the touchdowns he threw in tiny windows particularly the perfect ones to knowshon and sheff?

That Knowshon throw was damn near getting picked off - that was a better play by Knowshon that it was Orton. If anything that was a lucky play by Orton. Scheffler? I'm assuming you're talking about the one in the Chargers game. Yeah - nice throw - but when I can pretty much single out what throws you're talking about by player name, and not GAME, you've pretty much proven my point. :lol:

So does the best QB in the league.

Too bad he makes up for it in pretty much every other facet of the game. He maneuvers in the pocket much better than Orton.

yup.

sorry man - your user name is going to be looking obsolete soon.:lol:

This is what I'm talking about with the deep balls... the ONLY game you could single out was the Redskins game where the deep balls were BLOWN COVERAGE... and wide open with no one near the receiver. Any 3rd string QB can make those throws ... ESPECIALLY 2/3 :lol:

Tned
05-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I thinks it's a lot picks use regardless of when get them. I do understand that he accumulated them with purpose of getting back into the first round. If Tebow turns into the franchise quarterback we're hoping the media and most wont care. It will be considered good move. If Tebow should falter it will be used to criticize him.

If it was all done in one trade, what it have been ok?

Let's say a team had the 22nd and 25th picks (I think that's where we got Thomas and Tebow) and we traded our 12th pick, a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder, for the 22nd and 25th picks, and a third rounder, would you still say it was too much?

So, that would have been a 1st, 2nd and 4th, for two 1st's and a 3rd. That doesn't look so bad to me.

Mr D
05-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Orton is accurate in the short to intermediate passing game. The problem is defensive coordinators know that too. Defenses started smothering those routes which in turn was part of the reason running faltered.

I think our running faltered because our offensive line simply wasn't built for the scheme. Our zone block/power scheme combo project didn't work out.

You think teams didn't know the Jets were going to run the ball? That didn't stop them from being the #1 rushing team in the league.

The 49ers wanted to employ the same game plan - run the ball 60-70% of the game but they couldn't because their line sucked. That's what led them to pass more than any team in the league at a certain point (pass:rush ratio that is).

Mr D
05-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I thinks it's a lot picks use regardless of when get them. I do understand that he accumulated them with purpose of getting back into the first round. If Tebow turns into the franchise quarterback we're hoping the media and most wont care. It will be considered good move. If Tebow should falter it will be used to criticize him.

lol what?

Regardless of if we traded up for Tebow or NOT... those circumstances will still be held.

You think if a player fails it won't be used to criticize him? It doesn't matter where you're drafted - those conditions are applied everywhere. You don't think they're be applied with every other team too? If Okung and Earl Thomas sucks, you don't think that will be used to criticize the Seahawks?

Come on man - Tebow is just held to a different standard even though it's the same standard as everyone else.

TXBRONC
05-01-2010, 08:45 PM
If it was all done in one trade, what it have been ok?

Let's say a team had the 22nd and 25th picks (I think that's where we got Thomas and Tebow) and we traded our 12th pick, a 2nd rounder and 4th rounder, for the 22nd and 25th picks, and a third rounder, would you still say it was too much?

So, that would have been a 1st, 2nd and 4th, for two 1st's and a 3rd. That doesn't look so bad to me.

I'm not bothered by how McDaniels went about his business. He did what he thought was the right thing to do.

Sure what say makes good sense if you're looking at it basically one move. But that's not how they looked at on NFLN. They commented on it as two separate moves. So when they did it that way it looks like a lot to give for just one pick. I think it was Mayock that said when you add up the value points he said that the 2nd, the 3rd, and 4th picks were worth 56 points more that 25th pick in the draft. If look at the move to get Tebow apart the Thomas pick it looks like a lot.

If Tebow should falter the media and some fans will hang that around McDaniels neck. If Tebow becomes the quarterback that we are hoping he will become most fans and the media wont care. Whether you look at it in connection with Thomas or individually it wont matter what the cost was.

Just for the sake of making sure I've said this I think the way that you explained is better way looking at it.

TXBRONC
05-01-2010, 08:59 PM
lol what?

Regardless of if we traded up for Tebow or NOT... those circumstances will still be held.

You think if a player fails it won't be used to criticize him? It doesn't matter where you're drafted - those conditions are applied everywhere. You don't think they're be applied with every other team too? If Okung and Earl Thomas sucks, you don't think that will be used to criticize the Seahawks?

Come on man - Tebow is just held to a different standard even though it's the same standard as everyone else.

I said if Tebow succeeds no will care that McDaniels spent 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th round pick to go back up into the first to him. If Tebow fails McDaniels then be criticized for the move.

red98
05-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Tebow or bust!!!!

Mr D
05-01-2010, 09:26 PM
I said if Tebow succeeds no will care that McDaniels spent 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th round pick to go back up into the first to him. If Tebow fails McDaniels then be criticized for the move.

And I said wouldn't this be this be the case for any player that he would have drafted at that point?

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally Published: March 1, 2004
NFL draft-pick value chart

Before NFL general managers consider trading draft picks, they more often than not consult this value chart. The chart assigns each pick in the draft a point value, giving GMs an easy reference to compare the relative value of draft picks in different rounds.

Draft Pick Value Chart
Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Other
1 3000 33 580 65 265 97 112 129 43 161 28 193 15.2 225 2.9
2 2600 34 560 66 260 98 108 130 42 162 27.6 194 14.8 226 2.8
3 2200 35 550 67 255 99 104 131 41 163 27.2 195 14.4 227 2.7
4 1800 36 540 68 250 100 100 132 40 164 26.8 196 14 228 2.6
5 1700 37 530 69 245 101 96 133 39.5 165 26.4 197 13.6 229 2.5
6 1600 38 520 70 240 102 92 134 39 166 26 198 13.2 230 2.4
7 1500 39 510 71 235 103 88 135 38.5 167 25.6 199 12.8 231 2.3
8 1400 40 500 72 230 104 86 136 38 168 25.2 200 12.4 232 2.2
9 1350 41 490 73 225 105 84 137 37.5 169 24.8 201 12 233 2.1
10 1300 42 480 74 220 106 82 138 37 170 24.4 202 11.6 234 2
11 1250 43 470 75 215 107 80 139 36.5 171 24 203 11.2 235 1.9
12 1200 44 460 76 210 108 78 140 36 172 23.6 204 10.8 236 1.8
13 1150 45 450 77 205 109 76 141 35.5 173 23.2 205 10.4 237 1.7
14 1100 46 440 78 200 110 74 142 35 174 22.8 206 10 238 1.6
15 1050 47 430 79 195 111 72 143 34.5 175 22.4 207 9.6 239 1.5
16 1000 48 420 80 190 112 70 144 34 176 22 208 9.2 240 1.4
17 950 49 410 81 185 113 68 145 33.5 177 21.6 209 8.8 241 1.3
18 900 50 400 82 180 114 66 146 33 178 21.2 210 8.4 242 1.2
19 875 51 390 83 175 115 64 147 32.6 179 20.8 211 8 243 1.1
20 850 52 380 84 170 116 62 148 32.2 180 20.4 212 7.6 244 1
21 800 53 370 85 165 117 60 149 31.8 181 20 213 7.2 245 0.95
22 780 54 360 86 160 118 58 150 31.4 182 19.6 214 6.8 246 0.9
23 760 55 350 87 155 119 56 151 31 183 19.2 215 6.4 247 0.85
24 740 56 340 88 150 120 54 152 31.8 184 18.8 216 6 248 0.8
25 720 57 330 89 145 121 52 153 31.2 185 18.4 217 5.6 249 0.75
26 700 58 320 90 140 122 50 154 30.8 186 18 218 5.2 250 0.7
27 680 59 310 91 136 123 49 155 30.4 187 17.6 219 4.8 251 0.65
28 660 60 300 92 132 124 48 156 30 188 17.2 220 4.4 252 0.6
29 640 61 292 93 128 125 47 157 29.6 189 16.8 221 4 253 0.55
30 620 62 284 94 124 126 46 158 29.2 190 16.4 222 3.6 254 0.5
31 600 63 276 95 120 127 45 159 28.8 191 16 223 3.3 255 0.45
32 590 64 270 96 116 128 44 160 28.4 192 15.6 224 3 256 0.4

Anyone see that the difference between 22 and 25 is 60 points about what kiper or mayock thought we gave up to much in the trade up for Tebow.

Anyone else think that this does not mean all that much. Maybe "much ado about nothing".

TXBRONC
05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I think our running faltered because our offensive line simply wasn't built for the scheme. Our zone block/power scheme combo project didn't work out.

You think teams didn't know the Jets were going to run the ball? That didn't stop them from being the #1 rushing team in the league.

The 49ers wanted to employ the same game plan - run the ball 60-70% of the game but they couldn't because their line sucked. That's what led them to pass more than any team in the league at a certain point (pass:rush ratio that is).

The Jets could also throw the ball more just in the short and intermediate routes.

Tned
05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Anyone see that the difference between 22 and 25 is 60 points about what kiper or mayock thought we gave up to much in the trade up for Tebow.

Anyone else think that this does not mean all that much. Maybe "much ado about nothing".

The 60 points is also about the amount of a mid-6th round pick. Now, I thought Kiper said it was more than 60 points, but still, I think way too much is being made about it.

BroncoWave
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Ok but you started the day with no quarters and no coke and you ended the day still with no quarters but with a coke. See how that works now?

Timmy!
05-01-2010, 10:32 PM
I hope captain neck-beard plays his ass off, then let the chips fall where they may in a year.

Ravage!!!
05-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Ok but you started the day with no quarters and no coke and you ended the day still with no quarters but with a coke. See how that works now?

I ended up spending all four quarters on one medium coke, but could have spent the quarters on 1 medium and 2 smalls.

I'm not really anti-tebow. I like that the team went out and tried to get a QB to replace the one we had. I don't like the price on the deepest draft in a decade when taking a chance when picks in the first rounds shouldn't be big reaches.

Oh well.

TXBRONC
05-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I hope captain neck-beard plays his ass off, then let the chips fall where they may in a year.

I have no doubt he will work hard. Nevertheless Orton is in a tough spot. If Tebow shows that he's competent I don't think Orton will be able stem the tide.

Mr D
05-01-2010, 11:55 PM
The Jets could also throw the ball more just in the short and intermediate routes.

Ummm.. no? We could throw the ball better than the Jets...? Sounds like you're just backing up into a wall and throwing out BS.

The running game is won in the trenches - period. The passing game doesn't set up the running game for our team - that really only applies to teams like the Colts.

Foochacho
05-02-2010, 09:23 AM
The 60 points is also about the amount of a mid-6th round pick. Now, I thought Kiper said it was more than 60 points, but still, I think way too much is being made about it.

You're reading the chart wrong there T. It is the mid 4th that is around 60 points. A mid 6th rounder is about 20 points.

Tned
05-02-2010, 09:49 AM
You're reading the chart wrong there T. It is the mid 4th that is around 60 points. A mid 6th rounder is about 20 points.

Gotcha, that explains why I thought the 60 was low, because I remember them saying it was equivalent to around a mid 4th.

Elevation inc
05-02-2010, 10:39 AM
no win for orton.....??? its simple go out there and out play quinn, brandy, and tebow....prove your the face here and deserve the starters role and guess what that pressure goes away....if kyle was satisfied with last year and he thinks that is all it takes to keep the starters job, then i dont want him as my starter.....Earn the job convincingly kyle, thats how you silence pressure....

T.K.O.
05-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I ended up spending all four quarters on one medium coke, but could have spent the quarters on 1 medium and 2 smalls.

I'm not really anti-tebow. I like that the team went out and tried to get a QB to replace the one we had. I don't like the price on the deepest draft in a decade when taking a chance when picks in the first rounds shouldn't be big reaches.

Oh well.

yeah but maybe tebow is a "super-sized" coke....and everyone knows you cant carry a medium and 2 smalls....you would have spilled them !

then you donta getta no coke !":laugh:...caddyshack

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 01:19 PM
I do not understand what the issue is.

We started the draft with IIRC 7 choices 11, 43, 45 113, 140 something and who cares the rest are longshots to. Make your tram anyway.

We wound up with 22, 25, 45,113, 140 something and a few players that could turn out to be steals.
Why cry over spilt milk we ALL knew that we were not going to have 10 draft choices make this team in the long room.

We picked up some talent that IF they all pan out should solidify the OL for a decade or longer (not unheard of OL guys playing for 10-18 years. IF the Wr's turn into replacements for bm and Eddie Mac.
If tebow turns out to be Johns replacement then this was one hell of a draft.

Right now I see nothing that says two years from now the raving everyone had of the 06 draft will be thought of as that was the Draft we picked up some players that set-up 4 to 5 lombardis.

Call me Captain Optomistic but the is pontential just dripping from each of these draft choices franchise QB, WR's, OC, OLG, ORT (blindside guy) not to mention one of the POTENTIALLY best Cb steals in the draft.

I see nothing but upside all because Josh has Huevous the size of Alaska.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Tned
05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
yeah but maybe tebow is a "super-sized" coke....and everyone knows you cant carry a medium and 2 smalls....you would have spilled them !

then you donta getta no coke !":laugh:...caddyshack

For the benefit of us Southerners, can we start speaking in Sonic terms. The question is whether he is a small, medium, large or Rt. 44 coke.

Then, to make it more confusing, is he a Rt. 44 that is half off during happy hour? :confused:

Northman
05-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Right now I see nothing that says two years from now the raving everyone had of the 06 draft will be thought of as that was the Draft we picked up some players that set-up 4 to 5 lombardis.

Might need to get a playoff appearance first.

Tned
05-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Call me Captain Optomistic but the is pontential just dripping from each of these draft choices franchise QB, WR's, OC, OLG, ORT (blindside guy) not to mention one of the POTENTIALLY best Cb steals in the draft.

I think a couple of those are reaches to call them franchise guys C and even T for instance. They could easily be anywhere from backups to starters to pro-bowl starters.

I think Tebow, Thomas and Cox (I think that's the CB) all have high upsides, and Decker not quite as high, but could play a great role as a possession receiver.

There is no question that this draft has the potential to be great, but there are a lot of projects and question marks, so it could just as easily be a bust. With the exception of a few pics, this was a high risk, high reward draft, which goes to your Alaskan comment.

Let's hope a few years from now we are focusing on the high reward part.

T.K.O.
05-02-2010, 01:38 PM
I

ok...."captain optomistic " it shall be though "Capt. Opto-mystic" has more commercial appeal.
but i would suggest using an area that hits a little closer to home.
like "huevous the size of the rocky mountains" or "mile high gonads":D

rcsodak
05-02-2010, 03:21 PM

You "spent" four quarters

....but...

..it cost you nothing.

So in essence, it WAS free.

(unless you're in MO, then nothing is free)

rcsodak
05-02-2010, 03:25 PM

It was obvious you were a cutler groupie before you even added your last little sentence in at the end. :tsk:

EMB6903
05-02-2010, 03:47 PM
It was obvious you were a cutler groupie before you even added your last little sentence in at the end. :tsk:

Quit hating hes only speaking the truth. Orton is limited as a Quarterback and Mcdaniels offense is limited with him under center.

Also question.....Werent you a "Cutler groupie" before he got traded?

Mr D
05-02-2010, 03:53 PM

What do you define as a Cutler "groupie"? I mean - are you telling me 99.9% of Broncos fans weren't Cutler "groupies" when he became our new QB? Along with Scheffler/Royal/Marshall and our young future as it looked at the time?

lol @ you acting as if you were standing in the back shaking your head at the whole situation at the time. :lol: All Broncos' fans were "groupies" if you wanna put it like that... you're obviously not very intelligent with the battles you're attempting to pick.

Yeah I liked Jay Cutler when he became our QB, but when he pulled that BS in off season with McDaniels - I was one of the strong advocates that it was probably his time to go. I was/am a supporter of what Bowlen was doing, what McDaniels was bringing to this organization - and the type of football players we're bringing in.

GTFOH with that BS, it's quite obvious you're worried more about ME than the topic at hand. That's a true sign that it's quite obvious you're not relevant on any level. :lol:

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
You "spent" four quarters

....but...

..it cost you nothing.

So in essence, it WAS free.

(unless you're in MO, then nothing is free)

not only that, but YOU got more value with those four quarters

Lonestar
05-02-2010, 04:05 PM
What do you define as a Cutler "groupie"? I mean - are you telling me 99.9% of Broncos fans weren't Cutler "groupies" when he became our new QB? Along with Scheffler/Royal/Marshall and our young future as it looked at the time?

lol @ you acting as if you were standing in the back shaking your head at the whole situation at the time. :lol: All Broncos' fans were "groupies" if you wanna put it like that... you're obviously not very intelligent with the battles you're attempting to pick.

Yeah I liked Jay Cutler when he became our QB, but when he pulled that BS in off season with McDaniels - I was one of the strong advocates that it was probably his time to go. I was/am a supporter of what Bowlen was doing, what McDaniels was bringing to this organization - and the type of football players we're bringing in.

GTFOH with that BS, it's quite obvious you're worried more about ME than the topic at hand. That's a true sign that it's quite obvious you're not relevant on any level. :lol:

I think that MOST fans were fans of the broncos PERIOD. Not fans/groupies or what ever you want to use as a term of an individual player.

I for one did not like the pick as we had a lot more pressing issues that devoting the draft to Offense and in particular jay.

I supported him as a Broncos QB but did not stop my thinking he was not a FRANCHISE QB that every one was touting him to be. Thought he had potential but I guess being a loser since HS did something to his head. Once a loser, well maybe never a winner.

I also saw that last line as YOU being more worried about jay than the broncos, so add me to RC's side of the list. At the time I did not comment on it, but since you brought it back up well.

Mr D
05-02-2010, 04:28 PM
I also saw that last line as YOU being more worried about jay than the broncos, so add me to RC's side of the list. At the time I did not comment on it, but since you brought it back up well.

More worried about Jay? Are you guys reading the line correctly?

I believe I pretty much said it felt refreshing to have a QB to take advantage of the whole playbook/field? What does that have to do with being more worried about Jay Cutler than the team? I was simply talking about what a QB brought to the field. What the hell are you clowns talking about? :lol:

I typed ONE line about Jay Cutler to prove a point - and that was a point that when we see someone replace Orton and bring more versatility to the offense it will be better... and I compared that to when Jay Cutler took over for Jake Plummer... to be honest I think YA'LL are making a bigger deal of Cutler than I am. I said Jay's name one time and that's all you guys pretty much emphasize - and you're telling ME that I am one that's worried about Jay? :lol:

"Add me to RC's side?" What is this, 2nd grade? :confused: