PDA

View Full Version : A Coach's 'Fair Shake' to implement his program...

BroncoBJ
05-01-2010, 01:45 PM
When an organzation like the Denver Broncos decides it is time for a new head coach, the decision is not made lightly. Unlike NFL parriah's, such as the Oakland Raiders, Pat Bowlen makes the decision with the belief that the new coach will need several years to implement their program.

However, the hostility and criticism that Josh McDaniels has had to endure during his first two offseasons perplexes me. I asked myself, is McDaniels doing anything different than any other new head coach in the NFL? Perhaps. How about Mike Shanahan? How much change did Shanahan bring to the Broncos in his first few years as Head Coach?

In pursuit of an answer, I decided to compare McDaniels and Shanahan's first couple of years as head coach of the Denver Broncos. To see, for myself, how much change in the roster really occurred.

Star-divide
Mike Shanahan

After firing Dan Reeves, Bowlen wanted to bring Shanahan in as Head Coach, but was turned down. He settled for Wade Phillips and waited patiently for Shanahan to change his mind. Shanny did change his mind after leading one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history to a Super Bowl Title in 1994.

He took over a team that had finished 8-8, losing their final three games in the process(sound familiar?).

Shanny's first order of business was to install a new blocking scheme. Only one tackle and one guard survived his first offseason. Yes, 1 at each position. Shanny then brought in six new offensive lineman and began to implement his Zone blocking scheme.

Next, Shanny desired to transition the Broncos defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Instead of taking a single offseason to make the switch, it took a full two offseasons to make the full switch.

In the end, only six defensive players survived the switch. In total, just fourteen players from the 1994 roster were playing for the Broncos at the start of the 1997 season. Those players were, John Elway, Tom Nalen, Ray Crockett, Randy Hilliard, Harald Hasselbach, Brian Habib, Jason Elam, Tom Rouen, Allen Aldridge, Keith Burns, Steve Atwater, Gary Zimmerman, Dewayne Carswell, and Shannon Sharpe.

Not a single wide receiver or running back made it through the transition to the Super Bowl team of 1997. And Mike Shanahan became The Mastermind.

Yet all he did was implement his program, by bringing in players that fit what he wanted to do and by running the system he felt was necessary to win Championships.

The result? A three year stretch where the Broncos went 39-9 in the regular season and 7-1 in the playoffs - with two Super Bowl Championships.
Josh McDaniels

What does this mean for Josh McDaniels and the current Denver Broncos?

Mike Shanahan was fired after compiling a 24-24 record over the course of three seasons, culminating in a three game collapse with three games to go needing just one victory to secure a playoff berth.

Pat Bowlen went out in search of a special human being. One with the drive and intelligence to implement a winning program. Very few men fit that bill, but there is no denying that Josh McDaniels has the drive and intelligence to do just that.

There is a question about whether he will be successful, as only time will tell. After inheriting the team, he set about to implement his program. However, he would be faced with a me-first culture in the locker room that would marr his first offseason.

Instead of having a quarterback who wanted nothing more than to win a Super Bowl(John Elway circa 1995), McDaniels was faced with a talented young quarterback that wanted to be paid more than he wanted to win.

McD was hammered for the trade, by both the media and a large segement of the fanbase. Though he got excellent value in return, the criticism remained with him throughout his first season.

So, what about turnover?

Josh McDaniels first set about to make a defensive switch from a 3-4 hybrid disaster that was run by Bob Slowik the year before, to a base 5-2 3-4 hybrid that would get after the quarterback.

Which means he had to replace nearly the entire defense. Who could blame him? The defense was a complete disaster. McD kept just one safety and two corners, it's no wonder he drafted three last year to go along with three other free agent signings.

Next he had to clean house at the linebacker position. Goner were guys like Boss Bailey, Louis Green, Niko Koutouvides, Nate Webster, and Jaime Winborn.

Meanwhile, McD desired to move to a power run game. He stated the transition would be a multi-year approach. The first phase was to blow up the backfield. Only Peyton Hillis survived the bloodbath, but even he ended up getting traded anyway. McD got rid of Tatum Bell, Cory Boyd, Andre Hall, P.J. Pope, Michael Pittman, Ryan Torain, and Selvin Young in the process.

All in all, only twenty-four players remained on the roster after McD's first offseason. Of course there is Jay Cutler and that fiasco, but that situation is what it was - we and the Broncos have moved on.

Midway through McD's second offseason, we have already seen another blood letting of former Shanny guys. Bringing the pre-draft total to just seventeen players left from the 2008 roster. They include, Champ Bailey, Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas, Chris Kuper, Matt Prater, Mario Haggan, D.J. Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Spencer Larsen, Josh Barrett, Ryan Clady, Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus, Daniel Graham, Eddie Royal, and Brandon Stokely.

Mike Shanahan ended with just fourteen by the end of his third offseason, so I expect McD's program to be fully implemented by the end of the next offseason. He has cleaned house and now we will finally start to see the fruits of his labor.

Shanny finished his first season as head coach with an 8-8 record, which he then followed up with a 13-3 record. So far McD has finished with the 8-8 record, now it is time to see the next step in his program. I don't expect a 13-3 record, but I do expect a Division Title and the first playoff berth for the Broncos in five long, arduous years.

If there is one thing that should be understood by the fans, it is that Josh McDaniels earned his way into the Denver Broncos Head Coaching job. His hard work and dedication to winning was/is evident even during the 2-8 collapse last season. therefore, I am going to continue giving him his fair shake to make our team into a winner once again.

http://fanpeeps.com/-6yO4

Thought this was a pretty legit read. :salute: Not that it will make anyone here think any differently since people will still bash McDaniels anyways. But hes got a plan :elefant:

broncobryce
05-01-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree completely with this. People are so afraid of change, and of course everyone has their opinion. If and when(I believe) McD succeeds everyone will shut up, but until then, we will have to hear the complaining and doubts about what he is doing.

Northman
05-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Just another fan's point of view so nothing new.

BroncoBJ
05-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Just another fan's point of view so nothing new.

Actually it is something new. :salute: Its something actually positive. :salute:

broncobryce
05-01-2010, 02:33 PM
So the part about shanahan is a lie?

Northman
05-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Actually it is something new. :salute: Its something actually positive. :salute:

Ive seen a lot of positive posts and threads on McDaniels. So no, nothing new.

BroncoBJ
05-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Ive seen a lot of positive posts and threads on McDaniels. So no, nothing new.

Yes, something new. Sorry to disappoint you with this thread. Next time I'll post a negative McDaniels thread so it can be something new and refreshing for yourself :salute:

Northman
05-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Yes, something new. Sorry to disappoint you with this thread. Next time I'll post a negative McDaniels thread so it can be something new and refreshing for yourself :salute:

But its really not, ive read other people's post on here who say the same exact thing. Maybe you should do a search in the future. :lol:

BroncoBJ
05-01-2010, 02:38 PM
But its really not, ive read other people's post on here who say the same exact thing. Maybe you should do a search in the future. :lol:

:lol: :lol: I've seen posts similar all over the place. Havn't seen this particular write up posted before though. Sorry to ruin your Saturday :sad:

Tned
05-01-2010, 02:39 PM

I don't know about elsewhere, but on BF, the vast majority of posts are pro-McDaniels. Another puff piece bowing down to his greatness is nothing new.

Northman
05-01-2010, 02:41 PM
:lol: :lol: I've seen posts similar all over the place. Havn't seen this particular write up posted before though. Sorry to ruin your Saturday :sad:

My saturday has been great. Went to see Overkill last night, got laid this morning, and getting ready to eat some fantastic Maryland Crabs tonight for dinner. You?

BroncoBJ
05-01-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't know about elsewhere, but on BF, the vast majority of posts are pro-McDaniels. Another puff piece bowing down to his greatness is nothing new.

I see negativity all over the place. At least once a day something negative about him pops up. But this site is still a million times better then the other site when it comes to that. Theres threads posted there 24/7. At least this site doesn't get that out of hand.

And :salute: @ Northman. Glad my thread didn't ruin your day. I'm glad to see that you had an amazing past 24 hours and I hope that continues for you.

My Saturday has been legit also :elefant:

Tned
05-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I see negativity all over the place. At least once a day something negative about him pops up. But this site is still a million times better then the other site when it comes to that. Theres threads posted there 24/7. At least this site doesn't get that out of hand.

I'm not saying there isn't anything negative posted about McDaniels, just that the vast majority of posts is pro-McDaniels.

broncobryce
05-01-2010, 02:55 PM

I disagree with this 'bowing down to his greatness'. I see it as an article stating facts about how a new coach will make changes to implement his system. In this case a coach we are very familiar with. It's all about the end result though. If McD does not win games, it won't matter who he brought in or who he didn't. Shanahan was seen as a genius because he won games. It is yet to be seen whether the the new coaches changes will be fruitful.

Nomad
05-01-2010, 02:55 PM
getting ready to eat some fantastic Maryland Crabs tonight for dinner?

I'm jealous! I could eat at least 2 dozen boiled blue crab at a time! Boil them in some cajun seasoning and throw some sausage in there and awesomeness! Dunganess crab is awesome too I can only eat 6-8 at a time!! But no crab up here in NODAK!!:( And a few beers is a must when eating crab!:beer:

Slick
05-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Can I go on record and say I'm pro-rebuilding a finesse team that got their asses kicked regularly by the physical teams in the league over the last decade?

I'm pro Broncos, doesn't mean I'm a nut hugger or one who can't criticize either.

:bandit:

Northman
05-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I disagree with this 'bowing down to his greatness'. I see it as an article stating facts about how a new coach will make changes to implement his system. In this case a coach we are very familiar with. It's all about the end result though. If McD does not win games, it won't matter who he brought in or who he didn't. Shanahan was seen as a genius because he won games. It is yet to be seen whether the the new coaches changes will be fruitful.

The senarios are not exactly alike though and thats something that the article does not mention. For instance, before Shanahan was hired he already had familiarity with the team especially with the QB. This wasnt the case with McD when he came in and started stepping on toes in the process. You also mentioned that McD needs to start winning and that actually (if your comparing these coaches) needs to start this year. Shanahan went from 8-8 to 13-3 in just his second year as the HC. We shall see if he can get it done this year because a lot rides on the decisions he has made since being hired.

Tned
05-01-2010, 03:02 PM

I agree that Shanahan became the 'mastermind' because he won games, and that McDaniels has to be given a chance to see if he can return the Broncos to their winning ways.

As to the fan post, I was pointing out in response to JC4MVP's comment that on here things are typically very pro-McDaniels. Granted, in the last week part of the pro-McDaniels crowd has been grumbling because they didn't like the Tebow pick, but they are offset by the McDaniels critics that have been talking about how much they liked the Tebow pick.

As to it being a puff piece, the summation is a good example:

If there is one thing that should be understood by the fans, it is that Josh McDaniels earned his way into the Denver Broncos Head Coaching job. His hard work and dedication to winning was/is evident even during the 2-8 collapse last season. therefore, I am going to continue giving him his fair shake to make our team into a winner once again.

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Can I go on record and say I'm pro-rebuilding a finesse team that got their asses kicked regularly by the physical teams in the league over the last decade?

I'm pro Broncos, doesn't mean I'm a nut hugger or one who can't criticize either.

Second best post of the thread.

IIRC Rod Smith was also a pre Mike Bronco, but could be wrong on that seemed to me he was PS player.

broncophan
05-01-2010, 05:16 PM
My saturday has been great. Went to see Overkill last night, got laid this morning, and getting ready to eat some fantastic Maryland Crabs tonight for dinner. You?

Wow.......getting laid......and crabs in the same sentence....is kind of scary..........:laugh:

Sorry......I couldn't resist......:D

dogfish
05-01-2010, 05:18 PM

:hail::hail:

dogfish
05-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Second best post of the thread.

IIRC Rod Smith was also a pre Mike Bronco, but could be wrong on that seemed to me he was PS player.

THE best post of the thread. . . :salute:

and yes, rod was on our practice squad the year before shanahan was hired. . . they were talking about it on a show on NFLN the other night. . . rod said he was plenty happy to be on the PS-- at least he had a job. . . they also had a clip of shenanigans laughing about the fact that his second year here, he cut two former first round receivers in favor of undrafted hotrod-- said he knew some people would call him crazy and blame it on his lack of experience, but he and elway knew the guy could play. . . something to that effect. . .

T.K.O.
05-01-2010, 05:31 PM
i like crab cakes ! and beer....and getting laid !
only enjoyed 1 of the 3 today though.....and i'm hungry and thirsty !
and stuck at work til' 8 tonight:beer:

honz
05-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Shanny sucked and I never liked him.

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 05:33 PM
THE best post of the thread. . . :salute:

and yes, rod was on our practice squad the year before shanahan was hired. . . they were talking about it on a show on NFLN the other night. . . rod said he was plenty happy to be on the PS-- at least he had a job. . . they also had a clip of shenanigans laughing about the fact that his second year here, he cut two former first round receivers in favor of undrafted hotrod-- said he knew some people would call him crazy and blame it on his lack of experience, but he and elway knew the guy could play. . . something to that effect. . .

now this is the second best post :salute:

nevcraw
05-01-2010, 05:37 PM
he forgot Rod Smith, but otherwise a well written distraction from me checking out the tebow babes on the net..

Dean
05-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Football is put up or shut up. Whether it is a player, coordinator, or coach doesn't matter. Either you succeed and continue in your capacity or you fail and are let go. Time will always tell who made the right calls or best play and who didn't.

rcsodak
05-01-2010, 06:10 PM

And then you woke-up to your alarm. :rolleyes:

rcsodak
05-01-2010, 06:15 PM
The senarios are not exactly alike though and thats something that the article does not mention. For instance, before Shanahan was hired he already had familiarity with the team especially with the QB. This wasnt the case with McD when he came in and started stepping on toes in the process. You also mentioned that McD needs to start winning and that actually (if your comparing these coaches) needs to start this year. Shanahan went from 8-8 to 13-3 in just his second year as the HC. We shall see if he can get it done this year because a lot rides on the decisions he has made since being hired.

In a realist's eyes, I'd say 9-7 would be nice.

McD doesn't have a HoF QB or SB MVP RB currently on the roster.

They may be lucky just to go 3-3 in division.

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 06:21 PM

They may be lucky just to go 3-3 in division. Hey everyone had a great draft and now that KC seems to have a real GM and HC they should do well with all the top talent theta they have been skimming for the past 6-8 years.

Al Davis must have been sick and not been able to be in the war room either that or he has died and they re afraid to tell anyone. They made some great picks Stupendous as compared tot eh last decade.

SAN surprised me going with a Good RB considering they are a pass first team.

BroncoBJ
05-01-2010, 06:22 PM

They may be lucky just to go 3-3 in division.

We drafted Tebow. Hes a HOF RB and a HOF QB.

Problem Solved. :elefant:

broncobryce
05-01-2010, 06:25 PM
We drafted Tebow. Hes a HOF RB and a HOF QB.

Problem Solved. :elefant:

:lol: