PDA

View Full Version : NFL, Day One

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10085

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For 30 new Broncos, Friday was the culmination of years of hard work.

Standing by their lockers, it was hard not to swell with pride as they donned their NFL jerseys for the first time.

Ben Garland, a college free agent defensive lineman from Air Force, said "it didn't really feel real."

"Walking through the locker room, looking at guys like Brian Dawkins and some of the guys that are in there, that's really cool for me and I love that," said Eric Olsen, the team's sixth-round draft selection. "This has been my dream since I was a little kid, and I'm more than excited to be here. I've just got to make the most of this opportunity."

That opportunity officially began on Friday, as nine draft picks, 19 college free agents and two tryout players hit the field for the first day of a rookies-only minicamp.

Olsen said the environment took a little pressure off the first-year players, as they can all learn the ropes for the first time together.

"It gives us a little bit of a head start so we're not going in there looking at all these guys that already know exactly what they're doing and have been doing it for years," he said. "It gives us a little bit of a warmup before we get into that kind of situation."

The rookies ran through drills as 53 media members watched their every move, snapping photos and demonstrating the level of excitement surrounding the club entering the 2010 season.

That excitement showed on the field. Tim Tebow, after running through a ball-control drill, clapped vehemently and encouraged teammates to "Finish! Finish!" Players sprinted from drill to drill, ready to kick off their NFL careers.

"(I was) very antsy to get out here and start practicing," Tebow said. "Once I have to leave again and then won't be able to come back until (OTAs begin on May) 17th, I'll get antsy again then. But I'm just so excited for when I can get out here and be a full-time Denver Bronco."

After stretching with strength and conditioning coach Rich Tuten, the rookies began running through plays, tackling the playbook bit by bit.

"The coaches are taking it slow right now -- we're taking it a couple plays, a couple formations at a time," said Eric Decker, who didn't participate in the drills as he is recovering from a foot injury. "Guys are getting to understand it, and that's the biggest thing. Do it in the film room, then come on the field and execute it. We're taking it slow, and it's been good so far."

Demaryius Thomas did not participate either, though both receivers watched practice on the field. He admitted he's anxious to get back out there with his teammates, but he doesn't want to rush anything. Neither Thomas or Decker have a timetable for their return to the field, but both left Friday's practice with a great impression of their rookie class.

"Watching the guys, everybody's got talent," Thomas said. "I feel like everybody's going to do well this year if they get a chance, if they work hard towards it."

There was plenty to get used to: the speed of an NFL practice, a new system, new terminology -- "a foreign language," as Decker put it -- new teammates and high altitude that makes every drill a little more taxing.

But none of that bothered the new players, who were simply excited to get down to business.

"It's always been a dream, and you get here and you kind of realize that you made it to the league, but now there's a lot of work ahead of you," Zane Beadles said. "I'm looking forward to that."

The players have a break from offseason conditioning next week, but DenverBroncos.com will post stories all week long from the rookies' first experiences as Broncos. Stay tuned.

For Broncos TV's recap of the first day of rookie minicamp, click here.

For a photo gallery from the practice, click here. (on link)