PDA

View Full Version : Jack Williams on MHR Radio, LIVE, Wednesday Night

TheSportsGuru
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Broncos 4th Round Draft Pick Jack Williams will join me LIVE, Wednesday Night on MHR Radio!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/5/5/473246/broncos-db-jack-williams-l

Lonestar
05-05-2008, 09:14 PM
can you send out a reminder on Wenesday a few hours before you go on??

I keep mising it..

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Cool I'll be interested to here what he has to say. :beer:

broncosfanscott
05-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Me too. I'll have to make sure I tune into the show.

TheSportsGuru
05-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Just a friendly reminder!!

To listen,, head to UBroadcast.com, download the player and tune into channel 100 tonight!

claymore
05-07-2008, 07:43 AM
Just a friendly reminder!!

To listen,, head to UBroadcast.com, download the player and tune into channel 100 tonight!What kind of questions are you going to be asking Guru, and how long is he scheduled to be on?

MOtorboat
05-07-2008, 06:31 PM
:bump:

:bump2:

ssgtwc
05-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Well I missed it :confused:

What all was said?

MOtorboat
05-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Well I missed it :confused:

What all was said?

http://feeds.feedburner.com/mhr_radio

You can listen to it there.

I thought Guru did an excellent job at the interview. One thing I'd say to Guru when talking to players is to shorten questions a little, but that's my only complaint ;)

Guru, thanks for that. That was pretty cool last night. Jack seems like a good dude, and a very confident young man. Very quickly, Guru made the assessment that he sounded a lot like D-Will and I think Guru was right, let's hope Jack looks like that on the field too.

G_Money
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Jack Williams can play ball.

I didn't like the pick because he's likely to only be our nickel back (probably after this year), and I can have one of those who knows our system just by signing Paymah or Foxy to a deal - and because they're nickelbacks it won't cost a lot. I know they want to start, but so does every corner in the league. Just offer both of em the same deal, and the first one to take it gets it.

Still, If the Broncos truly believe he can, say, take the job from Bly in a couple of years (or try to replace Champ, if we decide not to pay him $12 mil a year to play corner for us on his next contract) then he's a tremendous pick. I just think he's a depth pick at a position at which all we'll need for a few years IS depth because we've tied up 100 million dollars in two corners.

Still, I won't worry too much about him dropping interceptions - IIRC Williams can snag a ball outta the air with the best of em. If he can stay healthy he could be a nice addition - and at least we might wind up saving a little bit of cash on the 5th CB position. And I'd rather address need at a position a year early than a year late (see our Safety situation from last year).

Now maybe if we can get to the QB this year we can let those corners show off their ball-hawking skills...

~G

BOSSHOGG30
05-08-2008, 09:48 AM
I like the Jack Williams pick because he is the perfect fit to cover guys like Wes Welker and the many other dangerous slot guys in the NFL. He should also be a great addition to the Broncos special teams. His speed and nack to get to the ball carrier will do us wonders. Another good thing about Jack is you can never have enough quality cover guys, especially with Foxworth and Paymah's contract only be one year deals and Bailey and Bly's contracts being so high.

TheSportsGuru
05-09-2008, 06:44 AM
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mhr_radio

You can listen to it there.

I thought Guru did an excellent job at the interview. One thing I'd say to Guru when talking to players is to shorten questions a little, but that's my only complaint ;)

Guru, thanks for that. That was pretty cool last night. Jack seems like a good dude, and a very confident young man. Very quickly, Guru made the assessment that he sounded a lot like D-Will and I think Guru was right, let's hope Jack looks like that on the field too.

Thanks! And believe me, as I am asking the questions I am telling myself to SHUT UP!....

Jack is a sharp guy, and perhaps as important as his skills on the field are his actions off of it. Class guy.

Brand
05-09-2008, 08:40 AM
He is being compared to Dwill. Forgive me, but I hope JWill plays better than DWill. At great risk of ridicule, I did not believe that DWill was all that good of a CB, but he did bring enthusiasm and some return excitement to the Broncos' games. But he seemed to get beat an awful lot in coverage. He was game, and a good character who overcame some difficult issues.

But I hope JWill plays better than DWill.

Ziggy
05-09-2008, 08:44 AM
He is being compared to Dwill. Forgive me, but I hope JWill plays better than DWill. At great risk of ridicule, I did not believe that DWill was all that good of a CB, but he did bring enthusiasm and some return excitement to the Broncos' games. But he seemed to get beat an awful lot in coverage. He was game, and a good character who overcame some difficult issues.

There are quite a few of us on this forum that thinks Dwill was overrated, but unfortunately he didn't play long enough for us all to find out for sure. RIP

TheSportsGuru
05-10-2008, 06:28 PM

I am right there with you in alot of ways. I have reminded readers of my blog and listeners to my show of how we talked about DWill in 2006. He was a young players, however, destined to get better, and there was no doubting his ball hawking ability...

Lonestar
05-10-2008, 06:44 PM
I am right there with you in alot of ways. I have reminded readers of my blog and listeners to my show of how we talked about DWill in 2006. He was a young players, however, destined to get better, and there was no doubting his ball hawking ability...

It was his coverage ability that I had a problem with.. Great return guy no doubt but he was beat alot and YES everyone I know he was just a kid..

But starting material in the NFL Not in my book.. The only reason he started we had no one better..

Acedude
05-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Jack Williams seems like he has a lot of skills, he's soft or what?

Divinelegion
05-12-2008, 02:21 AM
Either Bly has no stamina or Shanny got frustrated with is tackling last season and benched him quite ofen toward the end of the season. Maybe it was just me but I saw alot of Paymah when Bly was healthy on alot plays. Unless Bly had an injury I dident know about I think the coachs were alittle unsatisfied with what they traded for. I have a sneaking suspision that Jack Williams is going to eventualy be the second corner for the Broncos. Dre has a huge contract and can be moved if he disapoints another season.

Paymah has a shot at competing for the second spot and I saw flashs of solid coverage ability last season but on NFL network before the Broncos picked up Jack, Adam Schefter came on and called the pick saying Mike "felt Jack would be a starting Corner in the league if healthy." Go and read any draft report on the kid and most analysts will tell you they thought he would have easily been a first day pick dispite his size were he not injured through his senior season. Look at the kids production at about 75%...

93 tackles 8 passes defended, 3 INT for 43 Yds

Alittle bit of time in an NFL weight room and under Pro trainers this kid can make it to 200 pounds and be one hell of a Bronco corner. Plus in a few interviews I read pre draft he seemed excited to play man coverage...

Scouts opinion

Track speed and exceptional jumping ability. ... Strong for his size, he's one of the few small corners with a decent bubble. ... Changes directions quickly and sticks to receivers. ... Reads the quarterback well and will come off his man to make a play. ... Will plant and drive to the ball -- and make the play (13 career interceptions). ... Good reaction to the tipped ball. ... A threat to take interceptions back to the end zone. ... Very aggressive cut blocker against the run (70 solo tackles in '07, five forced fumbles in ?06). ... Can also get off a receiver block to wrap up a ballcarrier in the open field. ... Typical Tampa-2 corner... Very good special teams coverage player.

Size can be a detriment against larger receivers. ... Missed time with shoulder injury caused by tackle (durability when bringing down pro backs and receivers will be questioned). ... Definitely not a press corner. ... Has only returned a few kickoffs, which could be a nice feather in his cap when trying to make a team. ... Used on blitzes, but lacks the size and strength to beat even an average blocker. ... Will gamble at times to make the big play.

Bad Intentions
05-12-2008, 06:19 AM
Legion, you are forgetting about a Dre Bly injury. He seperated his shoulder and played most of the 2nd half of the season with a shoulder harness. I doubt the Broncos were upset with him. He picked his game up a lot, especially vs the run. At the beginning he would slap at the ball and look for somebody else to take the ball carrier down. That usually resulted in an additional 8-10 yard gain. Eventually he stopped doing that and start sticking his hat in there and making tackles. He did it more last year than ever before. There were some games that it looked like everybody else on the field gave up EXCEPT for Dre Bly. This guy can play ball we just need to get some pressure on the QB to realize how much of a player he is. He's always around the ball and his ball skills are nearly as good as Champ's. He can't cover like Champ but force a QB to throw early and this guy will return to pro-bowl form. Hell, the Giants won a SB with CBs that wouldn't start on 90% of today's NFL teams. It's a dead horse topic, but pressure is the key.

Bronco Yoda
05-12-2008, 06:49 PM
Guru-

I'm planning to write more on this later but for now I'd like to give a quick counterpoint to the cutler issue.

I don't think his Diabetes diagnosis will be a distraction in the back of his mind like you brought up. On the contrary.... there is nothing more distracting than NOT KNOWING whats wrong with you when you're ill and/or not performing as usual. At least he and his coaching staff knows what's up and can plan for and around (in some cases) this condition.

No doubt this condition will have it's costs but distractions wont be one of them imo.

TXBRONC
05-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Guru-

I'm planning to write more on this later but for now I'd like to give a quick counterpoint to the cutler issue.

I don't think his Diabetes diagnosis will be a distraction in the back of his mind like you brought up. On the contrary.... there is nothing more distracting than NOT KNOWING whats wrong with you when you're ill and/or not performing as usual. At least he and his coaching staff knows what's up and can plan for and around (in some cases) this condition.

No doubt this condition will have it's costs but distractions wont be one of them imo.

I agree now that Jay and organizations know what it is and its being treated I don't see that being a distraction.

Divinelegion
05-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Legion, you are forgetting about a Dre Bly injury. He seperated his shoulder and played most of the 2nd half of the season with a shoulder harness. I doubt the Broncos were upset with him. He picked his game up a lot, especially vs the run. At the beginning he would slap at the ball and look for somebody else to take the ball carrier down. That usually resulted in an additional 8-10 yard gain. Eventually he stopped doing that and start sticking his hat in there and making tackles. He did it more last year than ever before. There were some games that it looked like everybody else on the field gave up EXCEPT for Dre Bly. This guy can play ball we just need to get some pressure on the QB to realize how much of a player he is. He's always around the ball and his ball skills are nearly as good as Champ's. He can't cover like Champ but force a QB to throw early and this guy will return to pro-bowl form. Hell, the Giants won a SB with CBs that wouldn't start on 90% of today's NFL teams. It's a dead horse topic, but pressure is the key.

He had a good game vs Greenbay until he got torched for a TD in OT on GBs first drive...I guess I overlooked the injury, but Champ managed to play through a seperated shoulder, and it dident seem his tackling was as effected, as Blys toward the end of the season. I know hes a corner and not all corners are good tacklers, but theres no excuse for his tackling even in the earlier parts of the season. I dident see much progression at all I just saw alot more plays go his way once teams realized he couldent handle big physical recivers, Andre Johnson comes to mind.

I agree pressure has alot to do with it, what we need are the quick DTs we just picked up to penetrate and collapse the pocket, then a healthy Jarvis Moss and a sophmore Elvis Dumervil to rack up the sack totals. With the pass rushing ability of this seasons defensive line we should be able to force alot more underneath patterns, wich should increase the producition of our CBs turnover ratios. The lions created a good amount of pressure in Dres Pro Bowl year, and his chances will be even greater this season if our D-line pans out. What im afraid of Dre having to handle physical recivers like Earnest Wilford, Vincent Jackson twice, Jericho Cotchery, Marques Colston, Matt Jones, and Dwane Jarrett.

Dre Blys is missing fundamental tackling, one of Jack Williams strong points. Dre also seems to lack play recognition skills...I wont lie though I am alittle biased because Dre went Carolina and I am an NC State fan. That doesent play as big a role on my feelings as my love for the defensive backfield though. I enjoy studying the back field when I watch games, and this season just seemed to a great example of how to play the position to the left and how not to pay the positon to the right.