PDA

View Full Version : Beadles' versatility crucial for Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
04-30-2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14992744

When the Broncos drafted Zane Beadles at No. 45 overall last Friday, they couldn't have imagined just how important the offensive lineman's versatility would be immediately.

Beadles, who played tackle at the University of Utah, took reps at both left and right tackle Friday in the first day of the team's rookies-only minicamp, and expects also to work at guard throughout the preseason.

Those reps at left tackle are especially important now that starter Ryan Clady will miss at least three months after partially tearing his patella tendon while playing basketball last week.

"Definitely that's not a good thing for the team, you never want to hear someone go down with an injury," Beadles said. "But for me, it's not something I need to worry about. I need to come in here, and whether he's here or not, I've got to work hard and learn as much as I can. Because it is a huge step up from college."

Beadles will likely continue to work at both tackle positions when the team holds its first full-squad minicamp from May 17-19, though Tyler Polumbus will likely see significant reps at left tackle as well while Clady heals.

"The big thing is just learning, and I think the best way to learn is by making mistakes," Beadles said. "I'll get plenty of chances to do that."

Thomas, Decker don't practice

Neither of the Broncos two rookie wide receivers, first-round pick Demaryius Thomas or third-round pick Eric Decker, were able to participate in the first minicamp. Both are recovering from foot surgeries.

Thomas broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot just before the combine. He said he hopes to be able to participate in the team camps in mid to late May. Decker suffered a Lisfranc sprain midway through last season at the University of Minnesota, and he might not be ready to practice until the start of training camp in late July.

But both players wore their new Broncos practice jerseys and helmets Friday as they joined their new teammates on the field for stretching. They also watched the receiver and offensive drills.

"A lot of it is the mental reps, in the film room and on the field, just trying to see the formations and understand what to do out there," Decker said.

The Broncos had three undrafted wide receivers able to fully participate: Alric Arnett from West Virginia, Landis Williams from Maine and Patrick Honeycutt from Middle Tennessee State. Two other receivers, Dicky Lyons Jr. from Kentucky and Rockeed McCarter from James Madison, were also participating on a tryout basis.

Geer: Broncos a dream come true

Former University of Colorado tight end Riar Geer was disappointed when the final round of the draft concluded last Saturday and he hadn't been selected.

The Broncos helped alleviate some of the sting when they offered him a free agent contract.

"This is my dream team," said Geer, who grew up in Fruita on the Western Slope. "It makes me want to make the team even more."

Footnote. The only two non-rookies to participate in the camp were punters AJ Trappaso and Britton Colquitt. Both players came out of college in 2009 and are competing for the Broncos' punting job.

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Repetitions for Broncos rookie tackle Beadles rise in importance
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/01/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Broncos rookie offensive tackle Zane Beadles completes a drill on Friday, April 30, 2010, at the team's headquarters in Englewood, Colo. The Broncos will hold their rookie camp through the weekend. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)
When the Broncos drafted Zane Beadles at No. 45 overall last week, they couldn't have imagined how important the offensive lineman's versatility would be — immediately.

Beadles, who played tackle at the University of Utah, took repetitions at left tackle and right tackle Friday, the first day of the Broncos' rookies-only minicamp, and expects to also work at guard throughout the preseason.

Those repetitions at left tackle are important now that starter Ryan Clady will miss at least three months after partially tearing his patellar tendon while playing basketball last week.

"Definitely, that's not a good thing for the team. You never want to hear someone go down with an injury," Beadles said. "But for me, it's

Fans, sign up now for Broncos Premium, our website offering don't-miss news, analysis and features only available to registered users. It's free!

View slide show of Broncos Rockies Camp.
View slide show of Broncos pick Demaryius Thomas of Georgia Tech..
View slide show of Broncos pick Tim Tebow of Florida.
View more Broncos photos.
Find analysis, notes and buzz on the All Things Broncos blog.
Ask Mike Klis about the team or NFL in the Broncos Mailbag.
Post photos of your team spirit.
not something I need to worry about. I need to come in here, and whether he's here or not, I've got to work hard and learn as much as I can, because it is a huge step up from college."
Beadles likely will work at both tackle positions during the Broncos' first full- squad minicamp May 17-19, though Tyler Polumbus probably will see significant repetitions at left tackle as well while Clady heals.

"The big thing is just learning, and I think the best way to learn is by making mistakes," Beadles said. "I'll get plenty of chances to do that."

Limited work.

Neither of the Broncos' drafted rookie wide receivers, first-round pick Demaryius Thomas and third-round pick Eric Decker, participated in the first minicamp. Both are recovering from foot surgery.

Thomas broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot just before the scouting combine. He said he hopes to be able to participate in the team camps in mid to late May. Decker suffered a Lisfranc sprain midway through last season at the University of Minnesota, and he might not be ready to practice until the start of training camp in late July.

But both wore their new Broncos practice jerseys and helmets Friday as they joined their teammates on the field for stretching. They also watched the receiver and offensive drills.

"A lot of it is the mental reps, in the film room and on the field, just trying to see the formations and understand what to do out there," Decker said.

The Broncos had three undrafted wide receivers able to fully participate: Alric Arnett from West Virginia, Landis Williams from Maine and Patrick Honeycutt from Middle Tennessee State.

Two other receivers — Dicky Lyons Jr. from Kentucky and Rockeed McCarter from James Madison — participated on a tryout basis.

Shifting into Geer.

Riar Geer, a former Colorado tight end, was disappointed when the final round of the draft concluded and he wasn't selected.

The Broncos helped alleviate some of the sting when they offered him a contract as a free agent.

"This is my dream team," said Geer, who grew up in Fruita. "It makes me want to make the team even more."

Footnote.

The only nonrookies to participate in the minicamp were punters A.J. Trapasso and Britton Colquitt. Both came out of college in 2009 and are competing for the Broncos' punting job.

Lindsay H. Jones, The Denver Post

BigBroncLove
05-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I think his versatility will come in handy. I really hope we don't have to rely on it to much out of the gates. A rookie tackle starting isn't exactly a dream when they are projected as a better fit as a guard in the NFL. None the less I'm interested in how much Beadles brings to the table at Tackle. The Broncos think hes capable of both and I hope he is, especially now. Still I was hoping they could really push for him to vie heavily for the guard opening rather then concentrate on him now having to possibly take the load at Tackle. I'm glad we got him though.... after Polumbus's play last year I think the Broncos need more options at the Tackle position.

Lonestar
05-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I think his versatility will come in handy. I really hope we don't have to rely on it to much out of the gates. A rookie tackle starting isn't exactly a dream when they are projected as a better fit as a guard in the NFL. None the less I'm interested in how much Beadles brings to the table at Tackle. The Broncos think hes capable of both and I hope he is, especially now. Still I was hoping they could really push for him to vie heavily for the guard opening rather then concentrate on him now having to possibly take the load at Tackle. I'm glad we got him though.... after Polumbus's play last year I think the Broncos need more options at the Tackle position.
I thought when I saw the pick that considering tebow is left handed he would wind up and OTR. Now that may be even more likely with Harris going to OLT until Clady returns and that could very well be year before he is "rightt

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-01-2010, 07:33 PM
I thought when I saw the pick that considering tebow is left handed he would wind up and OTR. Now that may be even more likely with Harris going to OLT until Clady returns and that could very well be year before he is "rightt

I was thinking the same thing - then again there are a couple stop gaps in FA.