PDA

View Full Version : TSN: Team Report 5/5/08

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
I especially like the segment on Robertson. It confirms something I've said along about trading for Robertson that even Denver's staff thinks that his knee condition could shorten his career. Nevertheless he is still an upgrade even if is short term. I also like the fact that while Shanahan gets hammered for being a terrible GM the language in Robertson's contract is such that if he plays less than 65% of the snaps Denver will own the Jets no draft pick compensation.

One other thing, the article also confirms that Kuper is seen as the odds on favorite to be our starting right tackle which means that team is expecting Hamilton to return as the starter at left guard.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=408480

Broncos Team Report

Posted: May 5, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The news that Jay Cutler has been diagnosed with Type I diabetes was stunning but at least answers why the quarterback lost 30-35 pounds during the course of the 2007 season and was physically drained with each offseason workout. Cutler has since bulked back up to 220 pounds since his April 16 diagnosis, which came after a blood test was administered as part of the team's OTA protocol.

Cutler's disease is the more rare form and is found in only 5-10 percent of total cases. He's now insulin dependent for life. Cutler is monitoring blood-sugar levels five to six times daily and taking injections as needed right now. But once he's back to his 238-pound playing weight, he's expected to wear a wireless pump that will keep his condition in check.

Culter will remove the device for games, do pregame and halftime tests and have plenty of Gatorade available in game in case he feels 'off.' But no ill effects are anticipated now that the root cause is known. . . .

The addition of Ryan Clady as the No. 1 pick and announcement that the left tackle job is his to lose creates a logjam on the other side. Ryan Harris, Erik Pears and Chris Kuper all will be given opportunities to earn the position. Given the logjam on the interior line, and Kuper's play last season at left guard in Ben Hamilton's place, he's the early favorite. Kuper has sufficient bulk and feet to handle the role but is inexperienced there.

SCOUTING REPORT: The addition of Dewayne Robertson via a pre-draft trade was a huge boon to the club's thin interior line. Robertson excels as a one-gap slasher as a three-technique DT.

In New York, he was miscast as a two-gap nose tackle. Robertson immediately enters the starting lineup with his new club. The biggest key is whether a deteriorating knee holds up.

Robertson has played nearly 80 percent of the snaps the last two years but the bone-on-bone condition, which didn't pass muster with the Broncos medical staff, could ultimately shorten his career.

Denver will play Robertson in a rotation system and covered itself by structuring the player's new six-year deal with protection language should the knee be the root cause of missed playing time. Also, the trade itself may cost the Broncos nothing in the end. If Robertson plays less than 65 percent of snaps, the team pays the Jets no draft-pick compensation.

CORNERBACKS ANALYSIS: It's arguably the strongest position on Denver's roster. Champ Bailey is a stud. He had a dropoff statistically last season but teams shied away from him and the Broncos pass rush was largely impotent. He will be back to his old ballhawking ways if Elvis Dumervil, Jarvis Moss and friends improve up front and the team clamps down better against the run.

Dre' Bly has tremendous ball skills and experience opposite Bailey but needs to be more disciplined against double moves.

Karl Paymah finally seemed to get it last season as the nickel back, where he will align outside with Bly sliding into the slot. Paymah previously had problems using his size and hands too much downfield but was more controlled physically. Domonique Foxworth, who is a natural defensive back but has been miscast as a safety by necessity, will push Paymah for the No. 3 job.

The team also added a tough bump-and-run corner in rookie fourth-round pick Jack Williams. Grade: B-plus. Pro Bowl-caliber players: Bailey.

Ziggy
05-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I find it interesting that he is casting Paymah as the nickel and Foxworth as the dime back. I thought it would be the other way around going into camp.

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I find it interesting that he is casting Paymah as the nickel and Foxworth as the dime back. I thought it would be the other way around going into camp.

It sounds like it had something to do with Foxworth playing safety.

topscribe
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I really am concerned about Robertson's knees. I can see him getting
artificial knees after the conclusion of his career and moving about gingerly for
the rest of his life. I guess maybe he deems it worth the millions he is making
at present.

Anyway, I guess that's not my business, so I am left as a fan, hoping he can
give us a quality DT for a couple years or so.

Thanks for the post, TX.

-----

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 09:44 PM
artificial knees after the conclusion of his career and moving about gingerly for
at present.

Thanks for the post, TX.

-----

I think we have good chance to get at least two years out of Robertson if we're able to use him less that 65% of the defensive snaps.

JoeF
05-06-2008, 08:37 AM
Interesting in the report it says DeWayne Robertson was wrongly cast as a NT and should shine inside in our 4-3.

This link below shows DeWayne is into his "car thing" and painting some of them orange:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SMnMRxNbo8

Davii
05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
at present.

Thanks for the post, TX.

-----

I don't know Top. At this point the knee is already bone on bone which is not something that will get any better if he stops playing. He is already a candidate for knee replacement at some point in his life and I don't think continuing to play at this juncture will do much to change that. It might speed up the necessity of it, but he's going to have it done one way or another at this point.

TheDave
05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Judging by last years camp reports and and various other "rumors", Paymah seems to be the one who's light has turned on as of late. I loved Foxworth playing nickle during his 1st 2 years (except for the AFC championship game) but maybe there was a reason they played him more at safety the last couple of years.

Regardless, our secondary depth is excellent and assuming we can generate a pass rush this season we should be able improve both Bailey's and Bly's stats this year.

BroncoJoe
05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Judging by last years camp reports and and various other "rumors", Paymah seems to be the one who's light has turned on as of late. I loved Foxworth playing nickle during his 1st 2 years (except for the AFC championship game) but maybe there was a reason they played him more at safety the last couple of years.

Regardless, our secondary depth is excellent and assuming we can generate a pass rush this season we should be able improve both Bailey's and Bly's stats this year.

That's the $60,000 question... Our FO must be satisfied with what we've got. Hopefully everyone is healthy this year and the addition of DeWayne put's us over the top.

NameUsedBefore
05-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Go Paymah go! :lol:

But really, he looks like he has a lot of potential... Had some solid games last year and ran step-for-step with one of the elite receivers IIRC (who was that?).