PDA

View Full Version : Which surprise teams will make NFL playoffs in '08?

Magnificent Seven
05-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Five teams that could get over playoff hump

AFC

Denver Broncos (7-9): While improving in this conference is no hayride, the Broncos are working in a division that could allow them to make a little hay.

Most of my faith is lobbed at QB Jay Cutler, whose history of playing for Vanderbilt should prepare him for life with diabetes. Cutler's protection now includes rookie tackle Ryan Clady, while Arizona State draftee Ryan Torain seems like the perfect candidate for mind-blowing success in Mike Shanahan's running game.

I'm also riding the Broncos due to karma and faith in a system; they can't stink yet again, can they?

Cincinnati Bengals (7-9): Despite the recent efforts of linebacker Ahmad Brooks and Chad Johnson, I believe the Bengals have enough talent to stagger into January.

Yeah, the blame for most of this risky optimism rests on the shoulders of QB Carson Palmer, but I'm also supportive of adding LB Keith Rivers and DT Pat Sims to the Cincinnati defense.

It also should be noted that if Johnson is moved, the Bengals may have drafted one or two kids capable of keeping T.J. Houshmandzadeh from drawing triple coverage.

NFC

New Orleans Saints (7-9 last season): OK, while they could have been a bit better at upgrading pass coverage, the Saints' defense just has to be improved with established pro Jonathan Vilma at linebacker and rookie tackle Sedrick Ellis plugging the middle. The efforts of Ellis should enable ends Charles Grant and Will Smith to pressure quarterbacks with enough gusto to prevent excessive danger to the Saints' corners.

With QB Drew Brees still in his prime, the New Orleans offense should be fit as a fiddle. The key here may be the continued emergence of a young running back (but do I mean Reggie Bush or Pierre Thomas?) and the return of Deuce McAllister.

The addition of Jeremy Shockey would have been nice, but it's been demonstrated that great success can be achieved without him.

DeSean Jackson might give the Eagles an explosive option (and should at least be a force in the return game.) (Otto Greule Jr. / Getty Images)

Philadelphia Eagles (8-8): Boy, this certainly is a leap of faith.

I strongly considered going with the Washington Redskins here, but decided that if the Redskins aren't convinced regarding Jason Campbell's current level of performance, then my skepticism should prevail.

So, let's assume Donovan McNabb won't suffer a season-ending back injury while looking over his shoulder at Kevin Kolb and Brian Westbrook manages to avoid space-alien abduction. If the latter occurs, the addition of Lorenzo Booker might ease the doom until Westbrook is returned to our planet.

But the big reason for optimism (delivered with a side order of skepticism) is rookie receiver DeSean Jackson, who was the nation's biggest tease while at Cal.

If Jackson can catch the ball -- and not be forced to play against USC -- his big-play potential will work wonders in Philly. We're pretty sure he can catch kickoffs and punts; at worst, he should be quite the threat in those areas.

The defensive additions include big-ticket item Asante Samuel lining up at corner, with rookie Trevor Laws capable of creating traffic jams from his defensive tackle spot. You may remember Laws as one of the few Notre Dame players who refused to be grotesquely overmatched last season.

Carolina Panthers (7-9): I just couldn't muster enough faith in an NFC West team, so we're going with another upgrade from the NFC South.

This pick, of course, is making the huge assumption that QB Jake Delhomme will go from bad elbow to beyond competent. I also nearly talked myself off the Panthers while remaining unconvinced that the return of Muhsin Muhammad will make things easier for superstar receiver Steve Smith.

But, as a card-carrying Pac-10 guy, I think a lot of rookie runner Jonathan Stewart, who -- teaming up with DeAngelo Williams -- should give John Fox a nice running game to build around.

I'm also a fan of adding rookie linebacker Dan Connor to a defense that really needs Julius Peppers to impersonate Julius Peppers this year.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8107036?MSNHPHMA

MOtorboat
05-05-2008, 03:24 PM
I think it's hard to say any 7-9 or 8-8 team is a surprise to make the playoffs the following year. That happens all the time. Now, if you want to say the Raiders are going to make the playoffs...now...that is a surprise, and one hell of a bold statement.

So, I guess the problem isn't the article, it's well thought-out, and those teams certainly could make the playoffs, but the headlines a little off, I guess...

NameUsedBefore
05-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Hm... I dunno if we will. But out of all the teams I'd say the Buffalo Bills certainly look like a surprise team to me (certainly more so than we do at this point).

Poindexter
05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
I see a few teams stepping up from last season.

On the AFC side I agree the Broncos have a shot at making the playoffs. They have a history of rebounding from losing seasons to make the playoffs.

I think the Browns have improved from last season and might be able to make it over the hump this season.

The Bills showed glimpses of great play last season. I don't think it would be a stretch to see them make a run at a wild card spot.

On the NFC side I see the Saints working back up into a playoff spot.

I also wouldn't put it past the Rams to pick up the pieces from last season and shoot for a division title in a weak NFC West.

nj10
05-05-2008, 04:29 PM
"Arizona State draftee Ryan Torain seems like the perfect candidate for mind-blowing success in Mike Shanahan's running game."
:rolleyes: hmm...I doubt it but I hope so...

Skinny
05-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Kubs is doing a heck of a job in Houston putting that team together. Adding Gibbs was a biggy and a diffrence maker in the trenches on offense. The defense is young but solid and getting better.

Minn. is another team that really improved their weaknesses. They just need more consistancy at the QB position. Two teams i could see making the playoffs this season that did'nt last year.

Along with Denver of course! :D

SBboundBRONCOS
05-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Kubs is doing a heck of a job in Houston putting that team together. Adding Gibbs was a biggy and a diffrence maker in the trenches on offense. The defense is young but solid and getting better.

Minn. is another team that really improved their weaknesses. They just need more consistancy at the QB position. Two teams i could see making the playoffs this season that did'nt last year.

Along with Denver of course! :D

i really like minn this year

i think booty, even as a rookie could be a very good game manager, and thats all they need to go with AD and Chester taylor and that nasty defense, they have a very good shot at the playoffs and possibly the SB IMO

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Houston could be the surprise team that makes the playoffs but I don't that will happen because they are in the same division as Indianapolis and Jacksonville.

WARHORSE
05-05-2008, 08:43 PM
If Denvers run defense is back to where it should be, and the Oline gets more success punching it in inside the five against goaline packages, and the STs get us better field position than our opponents, look for the Broncos to be a contender, not a pretender.

With the run defense stout, the opposing offenses once again will be forced to throw against the best CB tandem in the league.
Being able to punch it in from the five is paramount to making the entire redzone package of the Broncos work. We start punching it in, everything will work off the play action. Redzone scoring takes a huge jump.

We had absolutely no problem moving the ball between the hashes. That will only get better with Cutlers second season with the upgrades we made. Also, Cutlers redzone decision making will be better simply because one, with a better run game defenses will be more attackable. Two, hes got a season and a half under his belt, and so do Scheff and BMarsh.

Look for Jay to run more with a sustained body weight late in the season, which will wreak havoc on our opposing defenses.

Kaylore
05-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Go Broncos.

Devilspawn
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
If the Texans can go 4-2 in their division (sweeping Tennesse) I say them. But they may be the new Arizona of late, the sexy preseason pick that falters around October.

shank
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
broncos and texans are my two teams for obvious reasons. thought the texans were looking good, but they didn't have a great draft...

we'll get in!

slim
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
"Arizona State draftee Ryan Torain seems like the perfect candidate for mind-blowing success in Mike Shanahan's running game."
:rolleyes: hmm...I doubt it but I hope so...

Look here, pearl snaps. Torain is going to be a stud. Now get in line or get to steppin'.

honz
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Look here, pearl snaps. Torain is going to be a stud. Now get in line or get to steppin'.
You tell him, slimster!:salute:

Can I call you slimster?;)

slim
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
You tell him, slimster!:salute:

Can I call you slimster?;)

No.

TXBRONC
05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
broncos and texans are my two teams for obvious reasons. thought the texans were looking good, but they didn't have a great draft...

we'll get in!

True they didn't have great draft but they do have solid nucleus to work with. That being said I don't the Texan will get into the playoffs. I would guess however, that Kubiak's team will have a winning record when all is said and done.

Medford Bronco
05-06-2008, 10:39 PM
My suprise teams are going to be the
Lions as they have a lot of talent but always choke and this
year with Favre retiring wont and
the Buffalo Bills as they are on the rise IMO as well.

like DS said the "pick" is Arizona but they always seem to fall
and I cant pick them until they prove they can get it done and not
be "grateful" to be 8-8.

they have not won 10 games in a season since 1976 which is pathetic IMO

honz
05-06-2008, 11:11 PM
No.
Fine, slim.

I do think that Torain is going to surprise the naysayers, though.