PDA

View Full Version : Dewayne Robertson's Contract

Italianmobstr7
05-05-2008, 02:02 PM
I haven't seen this posted anywhere. Check it out

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3377566&searchName=clayton_john&campaign=rsssrch&source=john+clayton&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3377566%26searchName% 3dclayton_john%26campaign%3drsssrch%26source%3djoh n%2bclayton%26univLogin02%3dstateChanged

Roster ready?: The Broncos signed former Jets defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson to a six-year, $24 million contract. But the deal is contingent on Robertson making the team. Robertson has a $900,000 base and a $3.1 million bonus if he makes the roster. The Broncos gave up a conditional pick to acquire Robertson. If he doesn't make the team, they may not have to give up a draft choice. But if he does well with the Broncos, the Jets could get as much as a third-round choice.

BroncoWave
05-05-2008, 02:19 PM
His ass better make the team seeing as we didn't do much to address DT in the draft.

TheDave
05-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Half this board could make our team as a DT... might as well pay him his $3.1 million bonus now.

underrated29
05-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Since i cant follow the link does anyone know if it mentions anything at all about the whole 65% playing time thing. Does anyone remember hearing about this?

Supposedly, if dewayne plays in 65% or less we give them nothing, and more than that comes to some pick value. I just wonder how that all is going to corrolate in their as he most likely will make the team and be a starter.

TheDave
05-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Since i cant follow the link does anyone know if it mentions anything at all about the whole 65% playing time thing. Does anyone remember hearing about this?

Supposedly, if dewayne plays in 65% or less we give them nothing, and more than that comes to some pick value. I just wonder how that all is going to corrolate in their as he most likely will make the team and be a starter.

That was in the original story about the signing... (updated a few different times). Considering I've seen it mentioned in a number of different articles i believe it to be true. If Robertson doesn't play 65% of the snaps the jets get nothing. Umnless things are different than how they were under Coyer he won't hit 65%

NightTrainLayne
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds to me like we made a good deal for a questionable player. If he doesn't make the team we don't owe him a gob of money, and if he does, he still has to hit 65% of snaps before we lose a valuable draft pick, and with our rotation that is a pretty high target to hit.

underrated29
05-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Sounds to me like we made a good deal for a questionable player. If he doesn't make the team we don't owe him a gob of money, and if he does, he still has to hit 65% of snaps before we lose a valuable draft pick, and with our rotation that is a pretty high target to hit.

Thats what i am talking about right there.

Shanny ALWAYS shafts the other team when he performs a trade (as long as it isnt during the daft.)

1st rd talent for free- ITs sexy time!!

:elefant: <--robertson here with good knees.

TheDave
05-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Thats what i am talking about right there.

Shanny ALWAYS shafts the other team when he performs a trade (as long as it isnt during the daft.)

1st rd talent for free- ITs sexy time!!

:elefant: <--robertson here with good knees.

Too bad Robertson didn't play for the Skins... :lol:

dogfish
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
here's to dewayne kicking ass and taking names on 64% of our snaps. . . .

:cheers:

shank
05-05-2008, 03:44 PM
i don't know if i believe the 65% thing... seems like they wouldn't leave that out when they get new contract details...

i'm personally confident though, that dewayne will earn every dollar he makes, and would not be upset at all if he walks away with the maximum that his contract will allow. he has the tools to be a pro bowler. if his (knock on wood) knees hold up, i still think 4 million a year is not too much to pay for this guy, especially with how desperate we were for a DT.

to put the contract in perspective, shaun rogers (who many of us, including me, wanted) got a 6 year, $42 million contract! knees willing, i think we got a bargain. knees unwilling, we didn't give anything up! great deal, very happy about this one.

Brand
05-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Too bad Robertson didn't play for the Skins... :lol:

If it had been the 'Skiins, the Broncos would have ended up with Robertson and their third.........

claymore
05-05-2008, 04:52 PM
I hate to say it, but I hope we end up owing them a third next year.

SR
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
We got him for next to nothing. It's a win, win.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
We got him for next to nothing. It's a win, win.

Good post...but the Hi-5 is for the avy.:salute:

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I hate to say it, but I hope we end up owing them a third next year.

According to Rasizer in this week's TSN team report if Robertson doesn't play 65% of the snaps we still may not owe them any draft compensation.

frauschieze
05-05-2008, 07:40 PM
According to Rasizer in this week's TSN team report if Robertson doesn't play 65% of the snaps we still may not owe them any draft compensation.

I think what Clay means is that he hopes Robertson has a phenomenal season, meaning the Broncos do fantastically as well.

shank
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
so him making the team will get him his bonus, but his play time dictates the compensation? i guess i can see that.

but like i've said before, i really hope we don't 'gus frerrote' the guy if he's playing well. though it won't affect dewayne, it will make other teams never want to trade conditionals with us again.

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 08:02 PM
I think what Clay means is that he hopes Robertson has a phenomenal season, meaning the Broncos do fantastically as well.

Yes I understood that be what Clay meant. What I'm saying is that I think that Robertson can still have great year and not play 65% of the snaps and if that happens Denver wont owe the Jets any draft picks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if played less than 65% of the snaps (maybe along the lines of 60%).

frauschieze
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Yes I understood that be what Clay meant. What I'm saying is that I think that Robertson can still have great year and not play 65% of the snaps and if that happens Denver wont owe the Jets any draft picks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if played less than 65% of the snaps (maybe along the lines of 60%).

10-4. I can get on board with that. :salute:

WARHORSE
05-05-2008, 08:10 PM
This looks to be a good deal. Good job on behalf of the Broncos in getting it done. For that, I salute them.

:salute:

dogfish
05-05-2008, 08:16 PM

that's what i'm talking about-- let him kick ass on most of our 1st and 2nd downs all year, and go out with the nickel and dime packages, or something like that where he makes a big impact but we don't have to give up the pick. . . .

:D

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
that's what i'm talking about-- let him kick ass on most of our 1st and 2nd downs all year, and go out with the nickel and dime packages, or something like that where he makes a big impact but we don't have to give up the pick. . . .

That's what I think will happen.

Ziggy
05-05-2008, 09:23 PM

I think it might be just the opposite. I think we may see Powell more on running downs, and Robertson inbetween and passing downs. He can get to the QB from the tackle position. He had 4 sacks last year playing a NT in a 3-4 defense. There will be a lot more opportunites for him to get to the QB in this D.

Lonestar
05-05-2008, 09:28 PM
This looks to be a good deal. Good job on behalf of the Broncos in getting it done. For that, I salute them.

:salute:

Thanks Ted for getting this started.. :salute:

Lonestar
05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
I think it might be just the opposite. I think we may see Powell more on running downs, and Robertson inbetween and passing downs. He can get to the QB from the tackle position. He had 4 sacks last year playing a NT in a 3-4 defense. There will be a lot more opportunites for him to get to the QB in this D.

I do not think we will see alot of Powell this year except to spell someone IF he makes it off of the PS.. I think he will be a long term solution.. Unless he lights it up in TC then maybe they will drop some of the old timers..

topscribe
05-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I do not think we will see alot of Powell this year except to spell someone IF he makes it off of the PS.. I think he will be a long term solution.. Unless he lights it up in TC then maybe they will drop some of the old timers..

No, I think he'll be in the rotation. The Broncos are thin at the position, even
with the addition of Robertson. Besides, it seems to me it will be hard to put
any of their draft choices on the PS without incurring considerable risk of
losing them. Regardless of what some of the "experts" think, these are some
quality young players, and Powell is no exception.

That's my opinion, and if the Broncos choose the PS route, they might find
that some of the other teams in the league share it with me.

Regarding Robertson's contract, that is a dynamite deal they worked out.
The question remains whether Robertson is going to be the beast he has
been or whether he will succumb to his gimpy knees. The contract was
designed to go either way. Good job for the FO.

-----

Lonestar
05-05-2008, 09:49 PM
No, I think he'll be in the rotation. The Broncos are thin at the position, even

-----

Perhaps. I hope that these kids stick and contribute more that being bit players.

Allah only knows how thin we have gotten over the past 10 years with the poor drafts we have had, excepting 2006-07.. Most of the FA brought in were starters but did not have all that much left in the tank, IF they were more than 2-3 year rentals..

one can hope..

dogfish
05-05-2008, 09:51 PM

i do like dewayne's versatility, but IMO that ability to penetrate and collapse the pocket can be just as useful on 1st and 2nd downs. . . moreso, i agree with JR-- rookie DTs often struggle to make much of an impact, and robertson is far more proven than powell (that stat people keep bringing up is nice, but he obviously hasn't proven anything at this level-- i feel much more confident in robertson's ability to help our run efense right away). . . besides which, ATM robertson is listed as 6'1 310 (317 when he was in NY), while powell's combine measurements were 6'2 292-- i'll take the bigger guy with years of NFL coaching and weight training every time. . . also, marcus thomas and alvin mckinley are both competent upfield tackles who can rush the passer in the nickel and dime packages, and crowder and ekuban are both capable of sliding inside when moss and doom come off the edges. . . robertson should immediately become our best overall DT-- i'd rather see him spend his energy where we have the most immediate need. . .

we'll see how it plays out-- i just hope we actually have a full, healthy complement of guys for our rotation. . .

*knocks on wood*

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 09:52 PM

-----

I agree Powell makes the active roster and is used rotationally.

topscribe
05-05-2008, 11:17 PM
i do like dewayne's versatility, but IMO that ability to penetrate and collapse the pocket can be just as useful on 1st and 2nd downs. . . moreso, i agree with JR-- rookie DTs often struggle to make much of an impact, and robertson is far more proven than powell (that stat people keep bringing up is nice, but he obviously hasn't proven anything at this level-- i feel much more confident in robertson's ability to help our run efense right away). . . besides which, ATM robertson is listed as 6'1 310 (317 when he was in NY), while powell's combine measurements were 6'2 292-- i'll take the bigger guy with years of NFL coaching and weight training every time. . . also, marcus thomas and alvin mckinley are both competent upfield tackles who can rush the passer in the nickel and dime packages, and crowder and ekuban are both capable of sliding inside when moss and doom come off the edges. . . robertson should immediately become our best overall DT-- i'd rather see him spend his energy where we have the most immediate need. . .

we'll see how it plays out-- i just hope we actually have a full, healthy complement of guys for our rotation. . .

*knocks on wood*

6-2, 292? Where did you get Powell's measurables?

The Broncos' website (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=396) and NFL Combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/carlton-powell?id=296) both have him at 6-3, 300.

And While a rookie has a lot to learn at the DT position, Powell should still
be helpful as a rotational player.

-----

topscribe
05-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Perhaps. I hope that these kids stick and contribute more that being bit players.

Allah only knows how thin we have gotten over the past 10 years with the poor drafts we have had, excepting 2006-07.. Most of the FA brought in were starters but did not have all that much left in the tank, IF they were more than 2-3 year rentals..

one can hope..
Thin where?

QB's deep.
RB's deep.
WR's deep.
Center's deep.
Guard's deep.
Tackle's now deep.
DE's deep with the returns of Ekuban and Moss.
LB's deep.
CB's deep.
Safety's . . . well, okay, I hope.

The Broncos had a considerable problem at DT, of course, but the addition
of Robertson and Powell helped considerably. They could use at least one
more, for sure. But it isn't a crisis anymore.

-----

dogfish
05-05-2008, 11:35 PM
6-2, 292? Where did you get Powell's measurables?

The Broncos' website (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=396) and NFL Combine (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/carlton-powell?id=296) both have him at 6-3, 300.

And While a rookie has a lot to learn at the DT position, Powell should still
be helpful as a rotational player.

-----

that was from draftscout.com, the site i usually use. . .

Lonestar
05-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Thin where?

QB's deep. AYE
RB's deep.
WR's deep.
Center's deep.
Guard's deep.
Tackle's now deep.
DE's deep with the returns of Ekuban and Moss. almost AYE
LB's deep.
CB's deep. AYE
Safety's . . . well, okay, I hope.

The Broncos had a considerable problem at DT, of course, but the addition
of Robertson and Powell helped considerably. They could use at least one
more, for sure. But it isn't a crisis anymore.

-----

Well lets see. Until now the OLINE has been a mash unit..

and that is not certain it has been fixed.. with Nalen being older and Hamilton one head slap away from not knowing his name again..

We now have a lot of very young inexperienced players on this unit.. Not like years past nor most of the elite teams in the conference..

Lots of potential here but not quite yet DEEP. IMO

RB's once again we have alot of bodies here but no one proven that consistently can get yardage and stay healthy all year.

We as of right now have three WR that caught more than a few of Jays passes last year.. one who IMO would not have made any other NFL teams save KC last year.. One that is a great slot guy but not geared for main line duty and Marshall who might be as good as TO IF his arm is RIGHT.

We have alot of other potential options but by NO MEANS IMO can we say it is deep.. WR afterall is the biggest flake position in the NFL.

LB's we have Williams that played WILL three years ago.. two other newbies all playing in a new defense AGAIN. Playing behind a totally reconstructed DL that for the most part has one DT that might be a star IF his knees hold out (I see no reason they will not but had to add that in since he failed at least two NFL physicals), One raw sophomore, a couple of has been or never will be vets and a raw rookie..

Two undersized super quick, can't play the run, (one raw rookie coming back from a major injury) DE's as well as they should, one really good sophomore DE and a couple of aging vets..

Sorry Top we have a lot of bodies that may or may not pan out.. I'll wait till later in the preseason to say if we have solved the puzzle..

gobroncsnv
05-06-2008, 06:58 AM
i don't know if i believe the 65% thing... seems like they wouldn't leave that out when they get new contract details...

I guess it's because this percentage thing was only part of the trade agreement that we have with the Jets... It doesn't have anything to do with the player contract with Robertson.

shank
05-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I guess it's because this percentage thing was only part of the trade agreement that we have with the Jets... It doesn't have anything to do with the player contract with Robertson.

so him making the team will get him his bonus, but his play time dictates the compensation? i guess i can see that.

but like i've said before, i really hope we don't 'gus frerrote' the guy if he's playing well. though it won't affect dewayne, it will make other teams never want to trade conditionals with us again.

i figured it out;):D

underrated29
05-06-2008, 10:26 AM
no need to worry about teams not wanting to trade with us if he lights it up but doesnt play enough for the jets to get a pick.

They jets were going to release him anyways. If we didnt trade for him, no one else would have, and they would have been forced to release him.

Atleast this way, for the jets, they get the possibility of getting a pick for him, and potentially a 3rd rdr. Which as discussed will never happen, but its a hope vs nothing-

Other teams also know this so future trading shouldnt be a deterrent for other teams even if we rob the jets naked.

shank
05-06-2008, 10:32 AM
i meant play him all season and he's doing well, and when it looks like he's going to hit the mark, we bench him to avoid giving them compensation.

guss frerrotte was benched a long time ago a few plays short of getting a bonus, and that's messed up. if he's healthy, play him. he played over 80% of snaps as a 3-4 NT and he's a great all-around player who won't need to leave the field much. even in our rotation heavy system, i'll probably be a little disappointed if he doesn't play 65% of the snaps. i honestly want him and thomas on the field as much as possible.

Ziggy
05-06-2008, 10:43 AM
i meant play him all season and he's doing well, and when it looks like he's going to hit the mark, we bench him to avoid giving them compensation.

guss frerrotte was benched a long time ago a few plays short of getting a bonus, and that's messed up. if he's healthy, play him. he played over 80% of snaps as a 3-4 NT and he's a great all-around player who won't need to leave the field much. even in our rotation heavy system, i'll probably be a little disappointed if he doesn't play 65% of the snaps. i honestly want him and thomas on the field as much as possible.

There's another factor to consider. The more we rotate him the longer his knees hold up. Remember, he DID fail our physical. Shanny said it's a gamble they are still willing to take, but let's keep him around a few years by using him in a regular rotation.

shank
05-06-2008, 11:03 AM
true, but our rotation isn't meant to keep everyone's play time equal, it's to keep guys fresh, and robertson has displayed good stamina in the past. with how thin we still are at DT (only 3 deep in known performers, powell still unknown) i think he sees the field quite a bit, if only by necessity. he's our best DT. we'll see how it shakes out, but at this point i do not think we can afford to sacrifice his performance for his longevity because of a lack of depth behind him.

65% is obviously a good over/under because that's what the two sides agreed upon taking into account his knee and our rotation. i'm just saying i'd probably be pretty damned happy if he plays 80% of downs here (without knee problems, but that's a given either way).

sanluis
05-06-2008, 03:29 PM
This could be a great move by Denver. I know I have made fun of the Brownco move but that potential is the same thing that makes this a great move as well. The cap impact is mitigated and the upside is huge if the player excels. Now the down side is if the player washes out like a number of the Browncos did after 2005. That would be bad for Denver and there ability to stop the run and could keep DT as a future need.

Time will tell if this move will work out but just looking at the contract at first glance it looks solid. Time will tell if this works out well. At worse case I think this will buy time for Denver to draft a stud DT or two over the next 2-3 seasons. Just in case the knees are not able to hold up.

:2cents:

Lonestar
05-06-2008, 03:41 PM

hmmm sounds alot like pulling players to have a better draft spot when your already out of the playoffs.

TXBRONC
05-06-2008, 09:01 PM

I think with Robertson they have to try and be careful with his knees so I could see them limiting his time to about 60% of the defensive snaps.

gobroncsnv
05-06-2008, 09:14 PM
if he's healthy, play him. he played over 80% of snaps as a 3-4 NT and he's a great all-around player who won't need to leave the field much. even in our rotation heavy system, i'll probably be a little disappointed if he doesn't play 65% of the snaps. i honestly want him and thomas on the field as much as possible.

Yep, WHOEVER the best players are, have them on the field... contracts are for post-season, not game-time.

dogfish
05-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Yep, WHOEVER the best players are, have them on the field... contracts are for post-season, not game-time.

maybe we'll get lucky and the OFFENSE can be on the field a lot this year. . . . :laugh:

Cugel
05-06-2008, 11:39 PM

-----

There's nothing wrong with Robertson's knees right now TOP, he has a bone-on-bone condition that will probably limit his playing career. But, he had 57 tackles/assists last year playing in a 3-4 defense that doesn't suit him at all and is more punishing on his knees than the one he'll be playing in Denver.

The reason teams were reluctant to trade for Robertson is that you have to give up draft picks for a guy who might only last a year or two more or might deteriorate. It's the risk Denver took giving up a high 2nd round draft pick for Javon Walker two years ago, a move that now looks very very bad indeed.

Lots of teams were unwilling to take that risk, but Shanahan rolled the dice and lost. :coffee:

Well, he's in a hurry to rebuild his talent level and feels he has to gamble sometimes. He did it with Marcus Thomas who might have been a first round pick if not for his drug busts.

But, realistically, Robertson is now the best DT the Broncos have had since a young Trevor Pryce -- or he should be.

He's a virtual lock to make the team, which is probably why the Jets accepted the deal. They are gambling that Robertson makes the team and has a good season so they get a higher draft pick next year.

Given the almost total lack of talent in DTs Denver had zero choice. They have to risk it and hope DeWayne's knees hold out for at least 2 more years. It's a Courtney Brown type situation all over again, and for much the same reason! They are so desperate for talent they had to gamble with an injured player.

In fact, if his knees were in better shape, he'd be a Cleveland Brown right now, and instead of a $4 million guaranteed contract, he'd have an $11 million signing bonus, plus probably another $8-10 million he'd probably earn -- something in the range of the contract that Shaun Rogers got.

Shanahan didn't win that bidding war with the Browns, he lost, but waited around and when the deal fell apart he decided to roll the dice. The Jets had been asking for a 4th and 5th round pick in this year's draft (the price Cleveland agreed to pay), but Denver is giving up at most a 3rd round pick in next year's draft, which is equal to a 4th this season.

So the asking price dropped, but not really enough IMO. Not that the Broncos had much choice. They probably would have been outbid for Robertson if he hit the FA market by some other team with more money. The Raiders come to mind, since Al Davis loves nothing better than to screw the Broncos.

Why else did Davis give that ridiculous contract to Javon Walker? If he hadn't been a Bronco no way does he get $50 million. That could wind up being a far worse deal than the one Denver swallowed to get rid of Javon.

dogfish
05-06-2008, 11:47 PM
It's a Courtney Brown type situation all over again, and for much the same reason! They are so desperate for talent they had to gamble with an injured player.

i understand what you're saying regarding our reasons for getting him, but i have to object to any comparison of robertson to courtney brown just on general principles-- dude has missed three games in five years in the league, knee problems or not. . . ultimately the end result will quite likely be the same (shortened career), but dewayne has never been a guy to miss time, where brown was a walking bandaid pretty much right from the begining. . .

Cugel
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
i understand what you're saying regarding our reasons for getting him, but i have to object to any comparison of robertson to courtney brown just on general principles-- dude has missed three games in five years in the league, knee problems or not. . . ultimately the end result will quite likely be the same (shortened career), but dewayne has never been a guy to miss time, where brown was a walking bandaid pretty much right from the begining. . .

Of course, you're right. You can't compare Robertson to Brown in terms of time missed. Courtney was injured far more often than well in his entire career. Robertson has not been.

My point was only that the Broncos ignored the DL for years . . . and years. . . and years. Then suddenly Shanahan wakes up and they need DEs desperately . . . NOW. There's no time to draft one and groom him for 2 years behind the starters and then put him into the lineup.

Shanahan had to look around the league and take the best FA he could find and hope for the best. That's NOT good player management.

The same thing is true here. After last years' debacle firing half the DTs by mid-season, Shanahan faced a situation where there was just absolutely NO talent on the team at all.

They had Marcus Thomas who had a mediocre rookie year. About the best you could say was that he was only a rookie and he'll get better. Well, maybe and maybe not. Only time will tell. Not every player develops. Some start out slow and then learn and become pro-bowlers, and others never catch on at all.

Behind Thomas there was Alvin McKinley who is . . . a decent backup who should never start on any good team.

Aside from that there are some scrubs like Josh Mallard and Kenny Peterson who would not make the 53 man roster on teams with good DTs.

Can you imagine if the Broncos started this season with Marcus Thomas and Alvin McKinley as the starting DTs, with Mallard and Peterson backing them up?

URGGH! :faint: