PDA

View Full Version : NFL to IFL?

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2007, 05:29 AM
There has been a lot of talk about more and more NFL events happening outside of the U.S.A, especially in London.

There have been a lot of reports from the other side of the pond (America), that a franchise in London is entirely possible. Another thought is the NFL Draft being held in London, or even the Super Bowl. This would be very exciting for Londoners but is it the best thing for the NFL?

The NFL Draft being held in London, would probably be very easy to do and would not be much of a problem, one would have to ask how much interest it would generate though. It would be very easy for it to be held at Earls Court, which is also right outside a Tube Station. But again the question remains, how much interest would it generate? Unlike the Wembley game, an NFL draft in London would only have hardcore NFL fans going, it wouldn’t generate much interest from the general public. The NFL Draft being in London would be entirely possible, but probably not worth the expenses.

More regular season NFL games being held anywhere in Europe is almost certain. The next location that is most likely to receive an NFL game is Berlin. This generates a lot of attention and interest; it is a real money maker. The NFL will look to keep a regular season game outside of America each season.

But what of this new suggestion from Roger Goodell? Well the NFL commissioner has had a thought, this thought is for each team to play 17 games instead of 16, the extra game will be held outside of America. What a mistake this would be. Can you imagine a team needing a win to make the playoffs, but struggling from jet lag in the final game? Imagine a California based team having to fly 12 hours to get to Rome. Also would this not take away from the tradition of the game?

So what about a Pro Bowl in Wembley? American reporters have said it is possible. Here is the question that completely kills that idea, where would you prefer, London in February or Honolulu in February?

The second craziest idea out there has been having the Super Bowl being in held in Wembley or Munich Stadium. Taking the Super Bowl away from America would be the same as putting a 50MPH speed limit on the German motorway, or taking the Eiffel Tower away from France, or taking the Himalayas away from Nepal, or even taking bad weather away from England. It wouldn’t seem right if the Super Bowl was played somewhere else. It would ruin the history and tradition of the game.

The craziest idea is having an NFL franchise in London, which has become a bigger possibility every day. This would be a terrible idea for obvious reasons, the travelling is one. Does this mean that an NFL team would move or a new team would be created? How would the league even deal with 33 teams?

Expansion is usually a good thing and the NFL has expanded. There are more NFL games being shown in England than there is in America it’s self. That means the interest has grown and therefore the NFL has expanded. Extra expansion will only cause the NFL problems.

Please Roger Goodell, don’t make this the International Football League, keep it in America where it belongs, or else you would be taking something away from the game.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-11-2007, 08:07 AM
There has been a lot of talk about more and more NFL events happening outside of the U.S.A, especially in London.

There have been a lot of reports from the other side of the pond (America), that a franchise in London is entirely possible. Another thought is the NFL Draft being held in London, or even the Super Bowl. This would be very exciting for Londoners but is it the best thing for the NFL?

The NFL Draft being held in London, would probably be very easy to do and would not be much of a problem, one would have to ask how much interest it would generate though. It would be very easy for it to be held at Earls Court, which is also right outside a Tube Station. But again the question remains, how much interest would it generate? Unlike the Wembley game, an NFL draft in London would only have hardcore NFL fans going, it wouldn’t generate much interest from the general public. The NFL Draft being in London would be entirely possible, but probably not worth the expenses.

More regular season NFL games being held anywhere in Europe is almost certain. The next location that is most likely to receive an NFL game is Berlin. This generates a lot of attention and interest; it is a real money maker. The NFL will look to keep a regular season game outside of America each season.

But what of this new suggestion from Roger Goodell? Well the NFL commissioner has had a thought, this thought is for each team to play 17 games instead of 16, the extra game will be held outside of America. What a mistake this would be. Can you imagine a team needing a win to make the playoffs, but struggling from jet lag in the final game? Imagine a California based team having to fly 12 hours to get to Rome. Also would this not take away from the tradition of the game?

So what about a Pro Bowl in Wembley? American reporters have said it is possible. Here is the question that completely kills that idea, where would you prefer, London in February or Honolulu in February?

The second craziest idea out there has been having the Super Bowl being in held in Wembley or Munich Stadium. Taking the Super Bowl away from America would be the same as putting a 50MPH speed limit on the German motorway, or taking the Eiffel Tower away from France, or taking the Himalayas away from Nepal, or even taking bad weather away from England. It wouldn’t seem right if the Super Bowl was played somewhere else. It would ruin the history and tradition of the game.

The craziest idea is having an NFL franchise in London, which has become a bigger possibility every day. This would be a terrible idea for obvious reasons, the travelling is one. Does this mean that an NFL team would move or a new team would be created? How would the league even deal with 33 teams?

Expansion is usually a good thing and the NFL has expanded. There are more NFL games being shown in England than there is in America it’s self. That means the interest has grown and therefore the NFL has expanded. Extra expansion will only cause the NFL problems.

Please Roger Goodell, don’t make this the International Football League, keep it in America where it belongs, or else you would be taking something away from the game.

i agree but im glad this is coming from someone in england(yourslef) and not some stupid patriot guys, i dont think there is a need to change what is nearly perfect . . . a couple games outside the US is cool but, i dont think it is very fair to the players, counting for serious jet lag, and a big lose in free time (never had much to begin with)

Just curoius but how have the TEAMS that traveled faired the week after these games:confused:

Kapaibro
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
International locations won't make it an International league.

Only teams from outside of the USA will do that.

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
i agree but im glad this is coming from someone in england(yourslef) and not some stupid patriot guys, i dont think there is a need to change what is nearly perfect . . . a couple games outside the US is cool but, i dont think it is very fair to the players, counting for serious jet lag, and a big lose in free time (never had much to begin with)

Just curoius but how have the TEAMS that traveled faired the week after these games:confused:

Minus the game played in Mexico there hasn't been a game outside of the U.S for a long time, so I can't say.

Retired_Member_001
09-11-2007, 09:06 AM
International locations won't make it an International league.

Only teams from outside of the USA will do that.

I understand that Kap, but Roger Goodell is wanting to make the NFL expand more and more. If Roger Goodell is planning 17 games outside of the U.S it makes some big changes, the NFL will start to change. The scare is how big of a possibility a Franchise in London is, I've seen people in high positions say there is a possibility of a Franchise in London.

I HOPE I never have to see this. It may sound very weird because I have lived in London all my life but I really don't want this to happen. I am an NFL fan who wants the best for the NFL, what Roger Goodell is planning with all this international stuff is NOT the best for the NFL.

SmithOverTO
09-11-2007, 08:35 PM
As you said Wookiee...

The NFL should have only have exhibition games outside of the USA. I hope this whole London thing is a one year expirement and that it never involves the Broncos!

The idea of robbing a team an all-important home game just because the NFL wants to expand their international image by having "important" regular season game outside the USA is ridiculous. In my opinion, the NFL would be better served by compiling a highlight clip on YouTube or say....

Why not spend more time, more energy on an International League or revive NFL Europe under a bigger brand? Sadly, this International League would take years to build up. The gap of athletes between the NFL and any other pro-football league is almost...no, it is unfair. Even the biggest college teams, and those teams are essentially pro teams, would be smashed by the worst NFL teams.

When the International League gets big enough replace the Pro Bowl with a match between the champions of that league and the NFL. A friendly, per se.

But dont rob us of home games just because the NFL wants to amuse a few folks with a "regular" seaon game.

If the NFL really wants to make this an international game, there going to have to build up the international game. Thus far, the only areas that have produced skill players in contact positions are West Africa and the American Pacific.

Bottom line: It's going to take time, and the early results wont be pretty...

The Horses Mouth
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
If london gets a franchise before Los Freaking Angeles does, I will lose my friggin mind. :rolleyes:

Broncos Mtnman
09-12-2007, 12:24 AM
As you said Wookiee...

The NFL should have only have exhibition games outside of the USA. I hope this whole London thing is a one year expirement and that it never involves the Broncos!

The idea of robbing a team an all-important home game just because the NFL wants to expand their international image by having "important" regular season game outside the USA is ridiculous. In my opinion, the NFL would be better served by compiling a highlight clip on YouTube or say....

Why not spend more time, more energy on an International League or revive NFL Europe under a bigger brand? Sadly, this International League would take years to build up. The gap of athletes between the NFL and any other pro-football league is almost...no, it is unfair. Even the biggest college teams, and those teams are essentially pro teams, would be smashed by the worst NFL teams.

When the International League gets big enough replace the Pro Bowl with a match between the champions of that league and the NFL. A friendly, per se.

But dont rob us of home games just because the NFL wants to amuse a few folks with a "regular" seaon game.

If the NFL really wants to make this an international game, there going to have to build up the international game. Thus far, the only areas that have produced skill players in contact positions are West Africa and the American Pacific.

Great post!! :2thumbs: I agree completely.

dogfish
09-12-2007, 01:01 AM
excellent article wook, i like your points a lot. . . the potential problem with jet lag is a very real factor, especially in a league that only plays 16 games-- if they played 80 like hockey or basketball, i would have no opposition to it. . . goodell's desire to promote this great game is admirable, but common sense needs to win out over greed-- keep the game great and keep the money flowing in, you don't need to compete with david stern in this particular arena. . .

i don't think he'd dare play the super bowl somewhere else-- he'd have to enter the witness protection program if he did. . . i do like your idea of posibly playing the pro bowl somewhere in europe, as exhibition games are the only proper exports. . . that, or possibly move a few preseason games overseas. . .

Retired_Member_001
09-12-2007, 02:47 AM
excellent article wook, i like your points a lot. . . the potential problem with jet lag is a very real factor, especially in a league that only plays 16 games-- if they played 80 like hockey or basketball, i would have no opposition to it. . . goodell's desire to promote this great game is admirable, but common sense needs to win out over greed-- keep the game great and keep the money flowing in, you don't need to compete with david stern in this particular arena. . .

i don't think he'd dare play the super bowl somewhere else-- he'd have to enter the witness protection program if he did. . . i do like your idea of posibly playing the pro bowl somewhere in europe, as exhibition games are the only proper exports. . . that, or possibly move a few preseason games overseas. . .

First of all let me say great post SmithOverTO.

Let me also say great post Dogfish.

It's funny that you mention David Stern because I do think that Roger Goodell wants the NFL to be more like the NBA (expansion wise) but as you said we are only playing 16 games. My real worry is Roger Goodell seems quite serious about making that 17 games and having the extra game played abroad. The main locations are mostly in Europe but South America and Asia seem big possibilities. There's not doubt a flight (from Denver International) to Beijing or Madrid is much longer than flight to San Francisco International airport, and again, would this not be taking away from the whole tradition of the game?

It's not my idea, all points I mentioned are facts. Each idea has either come from Roger Goodell, the head of NFLUK (I forget his name) or someone else in a high position. The Pro Bowl idea came from an American reporter though, it wasn't a suggestion, it was a report that Rooger Goodell was thinking about it..

sneakers
09-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Maybe if they could get their hands on some of those concordia jets. They could make it from NYC to London in the same time it takes a normal plane to fly from NYC to LA.

There was a time when baseball teams considered St. Louis to be "western". But that was before jets...maybe all we need is better transportation method developed for this to happen.

SmithOverTO
09-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Hey Wookiee, I was wondering how many kids across the pond actually play American football? If it's going to get started, it has to start at the bottom of the player base...

Retired_Member_001
09-12-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey Wookiee, I was wondering how many kids across the pond actually play American football? If it's going to get started, it has to start at the bottom of the player base...

The ammount of kids playing American Football is growing over here. There are several out of school clubs that play American Football and they are nearly as easy to find as Football (the kind of football played on this side of the pond ;) ) clubs would be.

There are some schools teaching American Football and the major of London, Ken Livingstone, wants American Football to be taught all over the country in schools.

More and more kids (and adults) are getting into and playing American Football and I actually think the talent is here. A family friends nephew is part of an American Football team and I have seen them play, their running back has the body of a bulldozer and the speed of bullet, honestly this guy can take it all the way every play and I don't think this is due to bad tackling, the problem is he has been offered a contract with the Chelsea U18's (for those who don't know that is a Football team in the English Premierleague) and he is most likely going to play for them. That will always be the problem, the other kind of Football will usually dominate, not always because of popularity but because of recognition. Plus he will get PAID from 16 to be on a proffesional team's youth squad, he definitley has the ability to something special. How many youngsters over here are going to be recognized by American college's?

This runningback is only ONE example, I have seen some good players in the highest level British League. We have been focusing on the kids but there are leagues for 20+ year olds.

I play some American Football myself. A Wookiee at WR, just throw it in the air and I got it. :D

Somehow all this focus on developing players over here scares me. I would like to see some more British players in the NFL, just like Loul Deng and Ben Gordon in the NBA but really a Franchise over here is a BAD thing.

dogfish
09-12-2007, 04:42 PM
that's funny, i'd think a wookie would fit best on the defensive line. . .

:confused:

Retired_Member_001
09-12-2007, 04:45 PM
that's funny, i'd think a wookie would fit best on the defensive line. . .

:confused:

:laugh:

I play everywhere actually, I am the team. :cool:

;)

Watchthemiddle
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
There are way too many major US cities that want to have an NFL franchise. Before cities in other Countries get a franchise, these US cities need to get one.

:2cents:

Retired_Member_001
09-12-2007, 04:57 PM
There are way too many major US cities that want to have an NFL franchise. Before cities in other Countries get a franchise, these US cities need to get one.

:2cents:

Some good points there.

Why should another COUNTRY get a team when some major cities in the US are dying to have one.

Thanks for replying.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
09-12-2007, 07:19 PM
if this happens ill be pissed i dont mind a draft pro bowl or an occasional game but a super bowl or a team is ridiculous at this time

broncosfanscott
09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
As you said Wookiee...

I feel the same way. I don't know why any team would want to play oversees during the regular season. Home games are precious in the NFL and we only get eight. I would be totally pissed if the Broncos played one of it's home games outside of Denver. Just keep it to preseason.

If it isn't broke then don't fix it. Things are fine the way they are.

Retired_Member_001
09-13-2007, 02:50 AM
I feel the same way. I don't know why any team would want to play oversees during the regular season. Home games are precious in the NFL and we only get eight. I would be totally pissed if the Broncos played one of it's home games outside of Denver. Just keep it to preseason.

If it isn't broke then don't fix it. Things are fine the way they are.

Yep, many Dolphins fans are unhappy about having a game moved from Miami to London and I don't know how many teams are going to want to lose a home game. Think of the season ticket holders aswell, they will lose a game.