PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' rookies hit practice field today

Lonestar
04-30-2010, 03:52 AM
Broncos' rookies hit practice field today
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 04/30/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Sure, the NFL draft is over, but for 28 Broncos rookies, their postcollege job interview is only beginning.

The Broncos' nine draft picks and 19 college free-agent rookies will participate in their first NFL practices today. The team's rookies-only minicamp runs through Sunday at Dove Valley.

Players such as Demaryius Thomas and Tim Tebow, first-round draft picks, and second- and third-round picks such as Zane Beadles and Eric Decker surely will make the Broncos' 53-man roster in September, but many of the other players who arrived in Denver on Thursday have no such future job security.

In 2009, the Broncos cut one of their draft picks (seventh-rounder Blake Schlueter), and only one undrafted player made the active roster out of training camp (nose tackle Chris Baker).
The Broncos' rookie class arrived in Denver on Thursday, spent the afternoon at Dove Valley and will stay en masse at a hotel through the duration of the team's offseason program. The first full-team voluntary camp is May 17-19, and the only mandatory camp is June 11-13.

"The earliest time you can be here is Thursday afternoon, so I'll be here Thursday about noon," Tebow joked last week.

So while these first few days are important for team bonding and chemistry building, make no mistake: This is all about football.

Broncos coaches have worked out many of these young players in the predraft process, but now they will begin coaching the players their way and teaching the players Broncos-specific techniques and plays.

The camp will be especially important for several of the team's top draft picks, including Beadles, an offensive lineman taken with the 45th pick. Beadles, from the University of Utah, should see plenty of extra work throughout the spring and summer with star left tackle Ryan Clady out for at least three months after partially tearing his patellar tendon over the weekend.

"The situation with Ryan is not ideal," coach Josh

ALL THINGS BRONCOS BLOG

The Denver Post's NFL reporters post analysis, notes and minutiae on this blog devoted to the Denver Broncos.

McDaniels said in an interview with the NFL Network on Wednesday night. "I think it will benefit some of the other players in terms of getting reps in the spring and in camp, if that is what happens."
Thomas and Decker, wide receivers drafted in the first and third rounds, respectively, are not expected to participate in the minicamp. Both are recovering from foot injuries. Thomas is expected to be able to participate in full-team camps by the middle of May, but Decker's rehab might take a little longer. Both players are in Denver, though, to work with team doctors and trainers and attend meetings with their new teammates.

Footnote.

The Broncos on Thursday re-signed veteran linebacker Nick Greisen. He originally signed with the team as a free agent in 2009 but spent the entire season on the injured reserve list after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament during training camp. He became an unrestricted free agent after 2009. Greisen had a formal tryout with the Broncos on Wednesday.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Clady might have violated contract with basketball injury

Not to bring up a sore subject or anything, but if Jay Cutler were still around, he would tell Ryan Clady what he thinks. Remember when Brandon Marshall put his right forearm through a TV set, severing tendons, muscles, a vein, an artery and a nerve in the spring of 2008?

"He's not my favorite person right now," Cutler, the Broncos' quarterback of the time, said of Marshall, his top receiver.

Marshall recovered, and the Broncos figure Clady will too. But until Clady, the Broncos' all-pro left tackle, sufficiently heals from the partially torn left patellar tendon he suffered while playing basketball Saturday, he might as well rehabilitate from the proverbial Dove Valley doghouse.

It's possible that by suffering his injury through an activity unrelated to football, Clady violated his contract. Section 3 of the standard player contract states "a player will not engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury."

The question is whether basketball would be considered a dangerous activity when several NFL players have been known to participate in charity basketball games. A few hours before Tim Tebow became the Broncos' first-round draft selection last week, the quarterback was filmed playing in a lightly contested full-court basketball game in Jacksonville, Fla.

It's highly unlikely the Broncos will seek to recoup a prorated share of Clady's bonus money, in large part because he's expected to return in time for the season opener at Jacksonville on Sept. 12.

But even if Clady needs a few more weeks, the Broncos are not likely to play hardball with a player they hope will protect their quarterbacks' blind side for the next 10 years.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Nomad
04-30-2010, 06:33 AM
BRONCO fans can't complain about media coverage anymore because I'm sure with Tebow here and Thomas replacing Marshall, the BRONCOS will be covered as if under a microscope!!

claymore
04-30-2010, 06:46 AM
I like Thomas and Decker, but I hate when we take someone with an injury.

AND.....

It's possible that by suffering his injury through an activity unrelated to football, Clady violated his contract. Section 3 of the standard player contract states "a player will not engage in any activity other than football which may involve a significant risk of personal injury."

Hopefully we make an example out of Clady and take some of his pocket scratch.

Nomad
04-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I like Thomas and Decker, but I hate when we take someone with an injury.

AND.....

Hopefully we make an example out of Clady and take some of his pocket scratch.

I understand players have lives and can't just sit on the hands during the offseason but I also understand these guys get paid generously to dedicate themselves to football! I wonder if there is a list of what they can and cannot participate in, basketball is not a game I would not want to see my lineman playing in the offseason!!

claymore
04-30-2010, 07:23 AM
I understand players have lives and can't just sit on the hands during the offseason but I also understand these guys get paid generously to dedicate themselves to football! I wonder if there is a list of what they can and cannot participate in, basketball is not a game I would not want to see my lineman playing in the offseason!!

Completley irresponsible IMO. I seriously hope we gank his signing bonus.

broncofaninfla
04-30-2010, 07:49 AM
If he voilated a term in his contract and that infraction resulted in this injury then I say the Broncos should go for it. Stupid decision by Clady and one that greatly affects our team. I also wouldnt be surprised to see Clady traded next season as a result.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-30-2010, 08:04 AM
In ESPN Radio's broncos training camp report this morning they said an NFL executive had told ESPN Tebow would have been gone between 22 and 40. Bills?

SOCALORADO.
04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
If he voilated a term in his contract and that infraction resulted in this injury then I say the Broncos should go for it. Stupid decision by Clady and one that greatly affects our team. I also wouldnt be surprised to see Clady traded next season as a result.

Relax, he isnt going anywhere. He knows he was doing something that technically he wasnt supposed to be doing, and he will simply have to lose his signing bonus.
Thats life in pro sports. It not like Sears is at his house reclaiming his appliances right now!
He wont make the same mistake again, and instead has taken up knitting!

SOCALORADO.
04-30-2010, 09:20 AM
Also, anyone who has a link to pictures or vids, please paste!

LTC Pain
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Go Rooks go!!!

T.K.O.
04-30-2010, 09:50 AM
In ESPN Radio's broncos training camp report this morning they said an NFL executive had told ESPN Tebow would have been gone between 22 and 40. Bills?

the pats had him....josh stole him out from under belly's nose:D

broncofaninfla
04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Broncos' rookie receivers not ready to run (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/30/broncos-rookie-receivers-not-ready-to-run/)

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 30, 2010 10:30 AM ET
The Denver Broncos selected wide receivers in the first and third rounds of the NFL draft last week, but neither one of them will be ready to go when the team's first rookie minicamp opens today.

Demaryius Thomas (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5700) and Eric Decker (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5819) are not expected to participate in minicamp (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14987427?source=rss), the Denver Post reports. Both have foot injuries.

Thomas, who was selected 22nd overall out of Georgia Tech, is expected to be ready to go when OTAs start on May 17. Decker, who was selected 87th overall out of Minnesota, might not be ready to go by then.

Both Thomas and Decker are attending the minicamp for meetings and rehab work with team doctors and trainers.

Traveler
04-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Man! This is the time of year I really hate. The long break between the draft and training camp.

As to the thread topic, I'm really stoked to see what Thomas and Decker bring to the team.

My guess (barring injury) is the final six WR's are as follows:

Royal
Thomas
Decker
Gaffney
Stokely
Lloyd

CoachChaz
04-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Dont count on Decker. He's a walking injury machine. Very poor draft choice

SOCALORADO.
04-30-2010, 10:40 AM
Dont count on Decker. He's a walking injury machine. Very poor draft choice

Shut up! Chaz! Taylor Price sucks balls, and hes really dumb!
JUST SHUT UP!
WAAAAA!!
(hysterically runs off into the forest.......)

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-30-2010, 10:41 AM
lol

CoachChaz
04-30-2010, 10:44 AM
Shut up! Chaz! Taylor Price sucks balls, and hes really dumb!
JUST SHUT UP!
WAAAAA!!
(hysterically runs off into the forest.......)

When Price is running all over the field with the ball in NE and Decker is on IR...dont get mad.

SOCALORADO.
04-30-2010, 10:53 AM
When Price is running all over the field with the ball in NE and Decker is on IR...dont get mad.

I like Price too. Only cause when we discussed these guys 4 months ago, you warned me about Deckers injury history!
Hopefully Decker can prove you/me wrong.

Nomad
04-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Too bad the BRONCOS couldn't have moved up a few spots to get Shipley!! I don't know much about Price but I do remember hearing that Decker was a magnet to injuries!!

CoachChaz
04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I'd have preferred Price or Shipley over a healthy Decker...but I too hope I am wrong about him.

CoachChaz
04-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Too bad the BRONCOS couldn't have moved up a few spots to get Shipley!! I don't know much about Price but I do remember hearing that Decker was a magnet to injuries!!

Major ankle, knee and foot injuries in the past 2 years. IMO projects as a slower version of Jordy Nelson. But he's a lockerroom guy and a solid blocker...so McD loves him.

Price is a fast guy that doesnt block well and lets his play do the talking. I'm guessing that was to his demise as far as McD is concerned.

LTC Pain
04-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Man! This is the time of year I really hate. The long break between the draft and training camp.

As to the thread topic, I'm really stoked to see what Thomas and Decker bring to the team.

My guess (barring injury) is the final six WR's are as follows:

Royal
Thomas
Decker
Gaffney
Stokely
Lloyd

This.

Royal
Thomas
Decker
Gaffney
Stokely
McKinley

honz
04-30-2010, 11:37 AM
I used to be injury prone too, until my luck changed and I stopped getting injured.

T.K.O.
04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
I used to be injury prone too, until my luck changed and I stopped getting injured.

now available in paperback by ryan torain

LTC Pain
04-30-2010, 12:33 PM
now available in paperback by ryan torain

A friend at work told me Torrain would be in the Redskin's camp? Supposedly he's healthy now?

BroncoNut
04-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Completley irresponsible IMO. I seriously hope we gank his signing bonus.

for that? c'mon Clay, quit being such a hardass, especially for a player like Clady. So the guy made a mistake, he deserves another chance. I find it somewhat peculiar that you believe a turd like Jay Cutler walks on water after the bs he pulled, but everyone else needs to be punished to the fullest extent for the most minor of mishaps. Maybe you should take a look at youirself before you start handing out tickets

BroncoNut
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
everytime I try to piss Clay off or be contentious with him he salutes me.

claymore
04-30-2010, 12:55 PM
for that? c'mon Clay, quit being such a hardass, especially for a player like Clady. So the guy made a mistake, he deserves another chance. I find it somewhat peculiar that you believe a turd like Jay Cutler walks on water after the bs he pulled, but everyone else needs to be punished to the fullest extent for the most minor of mishaps. Maybe you should take a look at youirself before you start handing out tickets
Thanks Nut for the reality check. But Clady IMO (which doesnt count) violated his contract.

Cutler never violated his contract. Id be all over him if he did.

Since these guys never have, and never will be my role models, or freinds... I dont care if he hurt himself kicking a stripper, or playing basketball. All I care is that he is a 100% for the Jags game.

BroncoNut
04-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks Nut for the reality check. But Clady IMO (which doesnt count) violated his contract.

Cutler never violated his contract. Id be all over him if he did.

Since these guys never have, and never will be my role models, or freinds... I dont care if he hurt himself kicking a stripper, or playing basketball. All I care is that he is a 100% for the Jags game.

of course Cutler didn't violate his contract, he's Jay Cutler. :rolleyes: Why don't you blow him some more Clay.

You can damage a patellar tendon bowling or golfing. I realize there are higher risk activities, but is that well defined in a contract?

dogfish
04-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Broncos' rookies hit practice field today

i hope someone explained to tebow that this is just a figure of speech-- i'd hate to see our practice field destroyed by a misunderstanding. . . .

BroncoNut
04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
i hope someone explained to tebow that this is just a figure of speech-- i'd hate to see our practive field destroyed by a misunderstanding. . . .

does Tebow have a requtation for being kinda dumb or something?

claymore
04-30-2010, 01:07 PM
of course Cutler didn't violate his contract, he's Jay Cutler. :rolleyes: Why don't you blow him some more Clay.

You can damage a patellar tendon bowling or golfing. I realize there are higher risk activities, but is that well defined in a contract?

I would imagine that Basketball is frowned upon alot more than bowling or golf.

If he didnt violate anything then whatever. I just hope accountability is expected from everyone, not just a few.

dogfish
04-30-2010, 01:09 PM

no, but he hits like a tactical nuke!

:salute:

rocks
04-30-2010, 01:09 PM

Only to rivals who were sick of getting beat by him... That's all they had left.

SOCALORADO.
04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Only to rivals who were sick of getting beat by him... That's all they had left.

Dont forgot about all the would-be expert "analysts" who hate him, for his personal beliefs also.

BroncoNut
04-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I would imagine that Basketball is frowned upon alot more than bowling or golf.

I'm sure it is and I thought I suggested that with the "higher risk" comment. Apparently I failed.

claymore
04-30-2010, 01:14 PM
I'm sure it is and I thought I suggested that with the "higher risk" comment. Apparently I failed.

Id wonder whats more dangerous injury wise... Skydiving or Basketball.

BroncoNut
04-30-2010, 01:17 PM

I almost mentioned skydiving, but it is more dangerous than an injury associated activity me seems to think. I bet basketball.

weazel
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
I know a lot NHL players have rules against playing basketball, in their contracts. ...But that might just be because they're white, and it just looks embarrassing.

I remember a pitcher for the Blue Jays (Paul Qunatrill) injured himself while snowmobiling. He lost his entire salary the season he was out.

rocks
04-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Dont forgot about all the would-be expert "analysts" who hate him, for his personal beliefs also.

One is Bob Ryan. I bet he's crying right now with all the publicity Tebow is getting.

TXBRONC
04-30-2010, 01:41 PM

Riding a motorcycle without a helmet is probably as dangerous as skydiving.