PDA

View Full Version : A brief update of the last week or so.

underrated29
05-04-2008, 12:35 PM
ok so i was out of town and have been trying to read up on all thats happened. Please fill me in on anything i missed.

we took:

clady,royal,an OG,S,RB,FB,OLB, and then signed woodyard ( i liked that), another rb and wr, and some kickers.

Cutler has diabetes
stewart went to carolina
Chad johnson was not traded
Benson got arrested

and the avs got swept.

Did i miss anything? How come we didnt take any DT's? To me that was one of the most important positions unless they feel dewayne is the man.

BroncoWave
05-04-2008, 12:37 PM
We drafted Carlton Powell, DT out of Va Tech.

Ziggy
05-04-2008, 01:05 PM
ok so i was out of town and have been trying to read up on all thats happened. Please fill me in on anything i missed.

we took:

clady,royal,an OG,S,RB,FB,OLB, and then signed woodyard ( i liked that), another rb and wr, and some kickers.
Cutler has diabetes
stewart went to carolina
Chad johnson was not traded
Benson got arrested

and the avs got swept.

Did i miss anything? How come we didnt take any DT's? To me that was one of the most important positions unless they feel dewayne is the man.

The OG you refer to that we drafted is a center that can also play guard.

underrated29
05-04-2008, 01:15 PM
oh good!!

Thanks fellas. The DT, is he like a Marcus thomas type that slipped, or is he just a DT that may or may not make it?

Tned
05-04-2008, 01:19 PM
oh good!!

Thanks fellas. The DT, is he like a Marcus thomas type that slipped, or is he just a DT that may or may not make it?

I would say the second. However, there were some stats thrown around about him being one of the best run stopping DTs in the NCAA last year. The stat was related to yards gained when run straight at him or something like that. Somebody should be able to produce the stat or an article/draft card it was in.

silkamilkamonico
05-04-2008, 01:20 PM
oh good!!

May or may not make it, but considering we are so shallow at DT's, he probably will make it for roatation purposes. He started 3 years at Vatech, but was beaten out by a freshmen his senior year. He doesn't excel at anything, but he may be a good DT for rotation, and getting our other main DT's a rest.

Tned
05-04-2008, 01:23 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/carlton-powell?id=296

How dominant has Powell been? In 73 plays that he made vs. the run, he held the opponent to minus-21 yards rushing.

underrated29
05-04-2008, 01:24 PM
hey if he ecells at stopping the run, id say he has a dam good chance of making it. Of course too just because we are so weak there..

Were we looking at any DTs and they got snatched up a few picks before we could nab them, or did we just kinda all together wait?

Tned
05-04-2008, 01:29 PM
hey if he ecells at stopping the run, id say he has a dam good chance of making it. Of course too just because we are so weak there..

Were we looking at any DTs and they got snatched up a few picks before we could nab them, or did we just kinda all together wait?

Hard to say, because nobody can really know whether or not what we hear from Shanny is accurate (not a slam against him like some do, but a fact that only an idiot head coach would share his strategy before or after the draft, and Shanny isn't an idiot).

However, all indications were he and the FO figured we were fine with the DTs we had, especially after the Robertson trade, and he was looking to fill other positions first.

Ziggy
05-04-2008, 02:36 PM
oh good!!

Powell is very one dimensional, but it's the dimension the Broncos need the most right now out of thier DT's. He is a pure run stuffer. I see him not only making the team, but playing good minutes in the rotation.

LordTrychon
05-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Powell is very one dimensional, but it's the dimension the Broncos need the most right now out of thier DT's. He is a pure run stuffer. I see him not only making the team, but playing good minutes in the rotation.

I agree and hope he works out well.

But everyone always says that DT is one of the positions that is hardest to adjust to the NFL. So he may have little/no impact this year.

Here's hoping Robertson and Thomas live up to potential THIS year and Powell joins them at that level asap.

Drill-N-Fill
05-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing... We DIDN'T select Todd Blythe :coffee:

Kapaibro
05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh and the sky is falling and the Broncos are cursed because Cutler has diabetes(if you believe the Chicken Littles)

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 04:31 PM

One wonders if he has other quality players around if he still is one dimensional like he was at VTECH.. Maybe that was his assigned job and others did the sexy stuff..

If he can come in and get us into a legitimate top 15 in run defense and by run defense I mean that we can stop the run but can;t stop the passing game so NO ONE needs to try to run the ball.. Sometimes stats are very deceiving..

Like us being in the top 5 for running the ball the past ten years.. What it fails to say is 90% of that is between the 20's.. So while a great feel good about our running game it is not all that great..

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
Hard to say, because nobody can really know whether or not what we hear from Shanny is accurate (not a slam against him like some do, but a fact that only an idiot head coach would share his strategy before or after the draft, and Shanny isn't an idiot).

However, all indications were he and the FO figured we were fine with the DTs we had, especially after the Robertson trade, and he was looking to fill other positions first.

That's the way it looks to me as well. The other thing is they didn't want spend the kind of draft capital it would have taken to move up and draft Dorsey or Ellis.

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 04:59 PM

I do too, I think its very possible that he could be playing a lot of snaps to keep Robertson and Thomas fresh.

Nature Boy
05-04-2008, 05:18 PM
I think you left out the CB Jack Williams off your list in the OP. Small guy but super fast and super strong.