PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Who!!!!!!!

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
OK,I've just watched the 5th episode of this series........

And I thought that since there's at least a couple of us that either like The Doctor, or are just getting into the show, this might be a good idea either to chat about episodes, or ask if there's any confudlement:D

Nurse Red
05-03-2008, 01:39 PM
OK,I've just watched the 5th episode of this series........

And I thought that since there's at least a couple of us that either like The Doctor, or are just getting into the show, this might be a good idea either to chat about episodes, or ask if there's any confudlement:D

Denny,

I am going to be away from home the next two nights, doing respite care, but will have my computer (and thus 12 or 13 eps of the show with me), so I'm thinking this is my weekend to start. I'm stoked, and can't wait to ask all of the questions that I know will invariably pop up :laugh:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_drink.gif

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Denny,

I am going to be away from home the next two nights, doing respite care, but will have my computer (and thus 12 or 13 eps of the show with me), so I'm thinking this is my weekend to start. I'm stoked, and can't wait to ask all of the questions that I know will invariably pop up :laugh:

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_drink.gif
A masterpiece of timing, eh? :lol:

Where will you be starting from?

As always, I live to serve :salute:

Nurse Red
05-03-2008, 02:07 PM
A masterpiece of timing, eh? :lol:

Where will you be starting from?

As always, I live to serve :salute:

Looks like the Eps I have kind of jump around... I have the first one from the first season, then the 12th and 13th from that season... 2.3-2.8, 3.1-3.5 and the first one from the 4th season...

Hopefully not TOO confusing to do it this way, we'll see.

It's nice that I have the very first, that should help set things up, right?

Skinny
05-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Tom Baker rules!

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Looks like the Eps I have kind of jump around... I have the first one from the first season, then the 12th and 13th from that season... 2.3-2.8, 3.1-3.5 and the first one from the 4th season...

Hopefully not TOO confusing to do it this way, we'll see.

It's nice that I have the very first, that should help set things up, right?
Yeah, Rose does re-introduce the Doctor very well, James picked it up without problem, who he was and where he'd come from.................there's been episodes since then that have filled in a few more of the blanks.

You could really do with watching episodes 6 (Dalek) and 9/10 (Empty Child & The Doctor Dances) as they introduce the enemy for 12 & 13 and Captain Jack........

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Tom Baker rules!
I agree, Tom Baker was My Doctor, when I was growing up and my lad's age........

I met him once, when I was 6, at a book signing for the 1978 Doctor Who annual, damn he's a giant of a man, with an earth-shatteringly deep voice

Nurse Red
05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah, Rose does re-introduce the Doctor very well, James picked it up without problem, who he was and where he'd come from.................there's been episodes since then that have filled in a few more of the blanks.

You could really do with watching episodes 6 (Dalek) and 9/10 (Empty Child & The Doctor Dances) as they introduce the enemy for 12 & 13 and Captain Jack........

Whoops, just checked my list again, because those sounded familiar. I have all of those... what I DON'T have is the first one... the way I'd entered it into the spreadsheet to sort it all out (I know... GEEK), it turned my 10 into a 1, and I'd thought that Dr. Dances was the first.

So there we have it, I'll watch those 3 first, and hope I pick up on the stuff I missed in the first half of the first season, as it looks like Dalek is actually the first episode I have...

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Whoops, just checked my list again, because those sounded familiar. I have all of those... what I DON'T have is the first one... the way I'd entered it into the spreadsheet to sort it all out (I know... GEEK), it turned my 10 into a 1, and I'd thought that Dr. Dances was the first.

So there we have it, I'll watch those 3 first, and hope I pick up on the stuff I missed in the first half of the first season, as it looks like Dalek is actually the first episode I have...
Oh you're in for a real treat then, the Daleks are fantastic :rockon:

Nurse Red
05-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Oh you're in for a real treat then, the Daleks are fantastic :rockon:

:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Can't wait :D

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 02:33 PM
:elefant::elefant::elefant:

Can't wait :D
James says you'll love them, in his words they're 'fantastic' ;)

Skinny
05-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I agree, Tom Baker was My Doctor, when I was growing up and my lad's age........

I met him once, when I was 6, at a book signing for the 1978 Doctor Who annual, damn he's a giant of a man, with an earth-shatteringly deep voiceSame here. I have'nt caught any of the new episodes but i loved the old tom baker series. The cheesy cardboard monsters, the hilarious props ... it was awsome! I use to go out of my way to stay up till 10 o'clock just to watch it. The endings were always my favorite part.

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Same here. I have'nt caught any of the new episodes but i loved the old tom baker series. The cheesy cardboard monsters, the hilarious props ... it was awsome! I use to go out of my way to stay up till 10 o'clock just to watch it. The endings were always my favorite part.
You mean the female assistant shattering your TV screen with her scream? :lol:

Skinny
05-03-2008, 03:20 PM
The doctor would say something smart and witty as he got back in the tartis and dissappeared.

I'll admit though, i had a crush on leela. I wanted to be her tarzan.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051213/051213_drwho_vmed_7p.widec.jpg

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
The doctor would say something smart and witty as he got back in the tartis and dissappeared.

I'll admit though, i had a crush on leela. I wanted to be her tarzan.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051213/051213_drwho_vmed_7p.widec.jpg
You'll have to excuse me.................I may be a while ;)

And of course, there was his fellow Time Lord Romana.........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b6/Tamm01.jpg/200px-Tamm01.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Ward01.jpg/200px-Ward01.jpg

Tom Baker was actually married to the second Romana, Laila Ward..............albeit for only 16 months

Sparkie
05-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Tom Baker was actually married to the second Romana, Laila Ward..............albeit for only 16 months

...And now Lalla Ward is married to none other than Richard Dawkins!!!

Jaws
05-03-2008, 04:58 PM
Ooh, I'm gonna like this thread :D

Tom Baker was my favourite too, although I'm old enough to remember Jon Pertwee as well.

Sparkie probably remembers the first ever episode ;)

*does a swimmer before she turns up in this thread!*

EDIT - eek, she's already here!!!!

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 05:05 PM
...And now Lalla Ward is married to none other than Richard Dawkins!!!

I didn't know that................

Dawkins is supposedly going to make a guest appearance in this season of Doctor Who...........

(Just to complete the circle ;))

Tom Baker was my favourite too, although I'm old enough to remember Jon Pertwee as well.

WHAT have I done????????? :couch:

Sparkie
05-03-2008, 05:07 PM

:madgrin: @ Sharkie

The first episodes I remember were Jon Pertwee with the Daleks. Tom Baker was "my" Doctor too. A few years back, via UK Gold, I managed to catch up with (and enjoyed) a lot of early episodes featuring William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton

I absolutely love the relaunched series ... not least because it's made and filmed in Wales! :cool:

Parts of an episode in the second series - where the Doctor and Rose return to 1953 London in time for the Queen's coronation - was actually filmed just a street away from where I used to live.

Joel
05-03-2008, 07:14 PM
What can I say? I'm just an ignorant Yank, and Baker will always be the Doctor for me. Sadly, just about the time I left Houston (where the local PBS broadcast every Saturday at 10PM, like a GOOD PBS station should... ) he taught me about another aspect of the Doctors universe: Regeneration.... :tsk: Not that the Fifth Doctor was bad, but he wasn't MY Doctor (and always struck me as a bit of a fop; the Fourth Doctor had a lot more of Gandalf, or T.H. Whites Merlin, in him, which I appreciated even if I didn't know who Gandalf was back then. ) Only in the last year with the re-launch has the current local PBS started doing the Doctor at 10 on Saturdays, and they're way behind (they showed the first season last year and then just re-aired it over and over in order until last week, when they finally started season two. ) So now I get to see how THIS regeneration goes; seems a bit young for the Doctor to me, and I did actually like the last one (a much darker Doctor than Bakers, and I don't just mean the outfit... ) but time will tell. Besides, the Doctor is like TX weather; if you don't like the current version, wait a bit and it'll change.... ;-p

Den21vsBal19
05-04-2008, 02:44 AM
What can I say? I'm just an ignorant Yank, and Baker will always be the Doctor for me. Sadly, just about the time I left Houston (where the local PBS broadcast every Saturday at 10PM, like a GOOD PBS station should... ) he taught me about another aspect of the Doctors universe: Regeneration.... :tsk: Not that the Fifth Doctor was bad, but he wasn't MY Doctor (and always struck me as a bit of a fop; the Fourth Doctor had a lot more of Gandalf, or T.H. Whites Merlin, in him, which I appreciated even if I didn't know who Gandalf was back then. ) Only in the last year with the re-launch has the current local PBS started doing the Doctor at 10 on Saturdays, and they're way behind (they showed the first season last year and then just re-aired it over and over in order until last week, when they finally started season two. ) So now I get to see how THIS regeneration goes; seems a bit young for the Doctor to me, and I did actually like the last one (a much darker Doctor than Bakers, and I don't just mean the outfit... ) but time will tell. Besides, the Doctor is like TX weather; if you don't like the current version, wait a bit and it'll change.... ;-p

Those two statements are contradictory, sir :salute:

I liked Chris Ecclestone, he really was 'driven' and there was a bit of the Tom Baker mischief about, but David Tennant has grown on me through 3 years............and if you wanted to see a 'foppish' Doctor, you really had to have seen Jon Pertwee, ruffled cuffs and all!!!!!!!

Joel
05-04-2008, 02:54 AM
Those two statements are contradictory, sir :salute:

I liked Chris Ecclestone, he really was 'driven' and there was a bit of the Tom Baker mischief about, but David Tennant has grown on me through 3 years............and if you wanted to see a 'foppish' Doctor, you really had to have seen Jon Pertwee, ruffled cuffs and all!!!!!!!
Some hope for me yet, eh? Thanks.

I've only seen Tennant in one episode so far, and it appears that will have to last a while; worthless Austin PBS didn't air the Doctor tonight, and I don't know if that's a permanent change or not. Jon Pertwee was WAY before my time (technically, Tom Baker was, too; I was probably walking midway through his run, but it takes a little while for each season to make it across the Pond... ) but I think the outfit was what spoiled the Fifth Doctor for me as well, especially that jacket. I'm willing to give Tennant a chance though, provided PBS lets me.

Den21vsBal19
05-04-2008, 03:21 AM
Some hope for me yet, eh? Thanks.

I've only seen Tennant in one episode so far, and it appears that will have to last a while; worthless Austin PBS didn't air the Doctor tonight, and I don't know if that's a permanent change or not. Jon Pertwee was WAY before my time (technically, Tom Baker was, too; I was probably walking midway through his run, but it takes a little while for each season to make it across the Pond... ) but I think the outfit was what spoiled the Fifth Doctor for me as well, especially that jacket. I'm willing to give Tennant a chance though, provided PBS lets me.

There's always hope ;)

That sucks, shows will never pick up a loyal following like that!!!!!! If you have access, I believe it's shown on Sci-Fi as well as probably on BBC America.

Pertwee was before my time as well, I just caught him on re-runs ;) The outfits are one of the things that I love, they do give the actors some say in where they want to take the Doctor, one of the little quirks about Peter Davidson was the celery button hole on his jacket :laugh:

The delay works both ways as well, it took nearly 30 years for some episodes of the original Star Trek to be shown over here :laugh:

Joel
05-04-2008, 04:25 AM
There's always hope ;)

That sucks, shows will never pick up a loyal following like that!!!!!! If you have access, I believe it's shown on Sci-Fi as well as probably on BBC America.

Pertwee was before my time as well, I just caught him on re-runs ;) The outfits are one of the things that I love, they do give the actors some say in where they want to take the Doctor, one of the little quirks about Peter Davidson was the celery button hole on his jacket :laugh:

The delay works both ways as well, it took nearly 30 years for some episodes of the original Star Trek to be shown over here :laugh:
Well, Star Trek got kind of complicated, between the Lucy/Dezi split and it's short run. The first episode wasn't aired a second time until the late '80s, even over here (in fact, I think that was the first time the true pilot, rather than the heavily edited one including Kirk, was EVER aired.... )

Probably the biggest thing that killed the Fifth Doctor for me was that I moved out of Houston soon after those episodes started showing and I couldn't see the show anymore, so in my mind he became forever associated with the departure of Tom Baker. I just can't imagine the Doctor with out a striped muffler.... ;-p

It could be worse; try finding copies of the complete 13 episode run of The Prisoner over here. You might catch 'em on Sci-Fi, but if, like me, you refuse to pay for TV, forget it (actually, that might not be technically true; I still have an old source book for GURPS: The Prisoner that contains an address in the UK where you can send off for them; now that I'm grown and have a job and money, I probably need to dig that out again.... ) Number 6 could SO kick James Bonds butt, and a battle of wits would be comically brief.... ;-p

Den21vsBal19
05-04-2008, 05:41 AM
Well, Star Trek got kind of complicated, between the Lucy/Dezi split and it's short run. The first episode wasn't aired a second time until the late '80s, even over here (in fact, I think that was the first time the true pilot, rather than the heavily edited one including Kirk, was EVER aired.... )

Probably the biggest thing that killed the Fifth Doctor for me was that I moved out of Houston soon after those episodes started showing and I couldn't see the show anymore, so in my mind he became forever associated with the departure of Tom Baker. I just can't imagine the Doctor with out a striped muffler.... ;-p

It could be worse; try finding copies of the complete 13 episode run of The Prisoner over here. You might catch 'em on Sci-Fi, but if, like me, you refuse to pay for TV, forget it (actually, that might not be technically true; I still have an old source book for GURPS: The Prisoner that contains an address in the UK where you can send off for them; now that I'm grown and have a job and money, I probably need to dig that out again.... ) Number 6 could SO kick James Bonds butt, and a battle of wits would be comically brief.... ;-p

I remeber seeing Star Trek as a kid, but there were a half dozen or so epsiodes that weren't shown on Auntie Beeb until the early 90s :confused:

I liked Peter Davidson, he was good because he was such a contrast to Tom Baker, but through no fault of their own, Doctor Who really dropped off with the 6th & 7th Doctors, Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy..............by the end it was really time to take a break, and the high tempoed single story format of the current series was the perfect return............

BTW, keep you eyes open for a spinoff show called Torchwood, a darker, more 'adult' show, starring Captain Jack Harkness ..............I don't like all of it, but it's not bad :D

I've not seen The Prisoner in years, great show..........who knew a giant bubble could be so scary ;).....................coincidentally, the village where it was filmed, Penrhyndeudraeth, is only an hour and a half or so from where I live

Joel
05-04-2008, 06:33 AM
I remeber seeing Star Trek as a kid, but there were a half dozen or so epsiodes that weren't shown on Auntie Beeb until the early 90s :confused:
Ouch. It's funny, I can't remember the first time I saw it, only the first time I saw an episode I hadn't seen yet (yes, I realize those two statements can't technically be reconciled either.... ;-p )

I liked Peter Davidson, he was good because he was such a contrast to Tom Baker, but through no fault of their own, Doctor Who really dropped off with the 6th & 7th Doctors, Colin Baker & Sylvester McCoy..............by the end it was really time to take a break, and the high tempoed single story format of the current series was the perfect return............
Well, when you consider they'd been doing it since the days they broadcast in B&W it's understandable the well might have run a tad dry. I probably would have liked the other Doctors OK if I'd ever seen much of them, though that slightly befuddled air of the Fourth Doctor could never be beaten for me. Very like Whites Merlin; you think he's not paying attention to anything and maybe a bit daft--until he casually, almost unconsciously, does just the right thing at just the right moment and saves the day for the umpteenth time. Kind of a cross between Forrest Gump and Gandalf, I guess.... ;-p

BTW, keep you eyes open for a spinoff show called Torchwood, a darker, more 'adult' show, starring Captain Jack Harkness ..............I don't like all of it, but it's not bad :D
Yeah, I've heard of Torchwood, but that's about it. And will likely remain that way until/unless I give in and pay for TV (not likely.... )

I've not seen The Prisoner in years, great show..........who knew a giant bubble could be so scary ;).....................coincidentally, the village where it was filmed, Penrhyndeudraeth, is only an hour and a half or so from where I live
That would be... odd... I'm not sure I'd like being that close to the Village.... My second favorite Simpons is still the spoof they did of The Prisoner.

"Why did you think a giant bubble would stop anyone?"

"SHUT UP! That's why...!"

I think what annoys me most is that show died because no one seemed to get where Patrick McGoohan was going with it, but the dynamic is SO much more fascinating that "just" the standard U.N.C.L.E./Avengers secret agent plot. With those you always knew who the good guys and bad guys were; in the Village there were no good guys, just pawns, pieces and Number Two. It was never really clear WHO ran the place, the West, the East or some other combination entirely, but as one of the various Numbers Two said, "It doesn't matter; both sides are becoming the same. "

Den21vsBal19
05-04-2008, 07:18 AM
Ouch. It's funny, I can't remember the first time I saw it, only the first time I saw an episode I hadn't seen yet (yes, I realize those two statements can't technically be reconciled either.... ;-p )

Yeah, I get what you mean..............it can be the same with films on TV, I remember a bit back watching Lethal Weapon, and watching scenes scrathing my head thinking 'I've don't remember this bit'

Well, when you consider they'd been doing it since the days they broadcast in B&W it's understandable the well might have run a tad dry. I probably would have liked the other Doctors OK if I'd ever seen much of them, though that slightly befuddled air of the Fourth Doctor could never be beaten for me. Very like Whites Merlin; you think he's not paying attention to anything and maybe a bit daft--until he casually, almost unconsciously, does just the right thing at just the right moment and saves the day for the umpteenth time. Kind of a cross between Forrest Gump and Gandalf, I guess.... ;-p

I think more than anything, the BBC tried to maintain production standards whilst cutting the budget, which is why I've never really blamed Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy for the demise of the show. The fact that 20 years later, there was enough interest in the show to justify a high budget reincarnation shows how 'fondly' the show, and all it's Doctors was thought of. But everyone has their Doctor, who can't be beaten, and I'm with you 100% on Tom Baker :rockon:

Gandalf is actually a pretty good comparison.

Yeah, I've heard of Torchwood, but that's about it. And will likely remain that way until/unless I give in and pay for TV (not likely.... )

I'm with you on paying for TV.......................fortunately there is another way.............

That would be... odd... I'm not sure I'd like being that close to the Village.... My second favorite Simpons is still the spoof they did of The Prisoner.

"Why did you think a giant bubble would stop anyone?"

"SHUT UP! That's why...!"

I think what annoys me most is that show died because no one seemed to get where Patrick McGoohan was going with it, but the dynamic is SO much more fascinating that "just" the standard U.N.C.L.E./Avengers secret agent plot. With those you always knew who the good guys and bad guys were; in the Village there were no good guys, just pawns, pieces and Number Two. It was never really clear WHO ran the place, the West, the East or some other combination entirely, but as one of the various Numbers Two said, "It doesn't matter; both sides are becoming the same. "

Even Patrick McGoohan thought some of the later episodes were a little 'thin', but the show was originally slated for 7 episodes, before being bumped on short notice to 17 episodes for CBS (Lew Grade wanted 26!)..............if they'd actually had the proper prep time for the show, it would have been one of the greatest shows ever, IMO.

And in the spirit of reinventing/reviving/reimagining old shows, it seems that The Prisoner is going to get the treatment.

Joel
05-05-2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I get what you mean..............it can be the same with films on TV, I remember a bit back watching Lethal Weapon, and watching scenes scrathing my head thinking 'I've don't remember this bit'
Yup, I think the first time I caught the bit in the first Superman where, as he's racing the train, a little girl on board tells her mom, who responds to the effect, "Lois Lane, you're always making up stories; you should be a reporter some day.... "

I think more than anything, the BBC tried to maintain production standards whilst cutting the budget, which is why I've never really blamed Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy for the demise of the show. The fact that 20 years later, there was enough interest in the show to justify a high budget reincarnation shows how 'fondly' the show, and all it's Doctors was thought of. But everyone has their Doctor, who can't be beaten, and I'm with you 100% on Tom Baker :rockon:

Gandalf is actually a pretty good comparison.
Yeah, I'd forgotten just how shoe string some of that was; it's really amazing they managed to maintain such a high quality show for so long on that basis, and baffling the BBC didn't spend more money on one of their most beloved longest running shows.

I'm with you on paying for TV.......................fortunately there is another way.............
Well, there is now; I watch what comes through the air (or not) for free, and if there's something I really want to see I can usually rent it. I should probably do that with the nouveau Galactica, but making Starbuck a girl was just too weird for me after the rakish Dirk Benedict character (and if you follow his career much he ALWAYS seems to play characters like that; makes me wonder how much he's acting.... )

Even Patrick McGoohan thought some of the later episodes were a little 'thin', but the show was originally slated for 7 episodes, before being bumped on short notice to 17 episodes for CBS (Lew Grade wanted 26!)..............if they'd actually had the proper prep time for the show, it would have been one of the greatest shows ever, IMO.
Well, that show was always a little out there to begin; I'm not sure anyone but him really ever fully understood it (lively debates can be had about just what the finale means; was it all just a high level agents self torturing hallucination after he finally snaps, or something more...?)

And in the spirit of reinventing/reviving/reimagining old shows, it seems that The Prisoner is going to get the treatment.
First I've heard of it, but it certainly sounds awesome, if they don't Hollywood it up too much. Casting could be critical though; Eccleston isn't Tom Baker, but he definitely worked as the Doctor, while still managing to make his regeneration a unique and memorable one. Didn't hurt to have a popular blonde hottie as his sidekick either (what is it about blondes with English accents that makes me feel all embarrassed and ashamed...? :redface: ) I'm not really sure whom I'd want to play Number Six; it's a complex and demanding role, because while he could tussle with anyone and give a good accounting of himself, in the Village things got a lot more cerebral and psychological, and that's a lot harder to "emote. " Still, a new Prisoner will be the first we've had in a long time, so I'd love to see it.

Den21vsBal19
05-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Yup, I think the first time I caught the bit in the first Superman where, as he's racing the train, a little girl on board tells her mom, who responds to the effect, "Lois Lane, you're always making up stories; you should be a reporter some day.... ".

One of the great things of the last 15 years or so.................Director's Cuts :D..............OK, some of them stink, but on the whole I love the extra stuff you get to see that wasn't shown at the flix or on TV............I guess it really started with Aliens

Yeah, I'd forgotten just how shoe string some of that was; it's really amazing they managed to maintain such a high quality show for so long on that basis, and baffling the BBC didn't spend more money on one of their most beloved longest running shows.

It's like another BBC classic (that may also be getting reworked) Blakes 7............designed as the Beeb's answer to Star Trek, it, in general, held up quiet well with Star Trek's production quality..............only problem was it was released after George Lucas blew the field apart with Star Wars :doh:

Well, there is now; I watch what comes through the air (or not) for free, and if there's something I really want to see I can usually rent it. I should probably do that with the nouveau Galactica, but making Starbuck a girl was just too weird for me after the rakish Dirk Benedict character (and if you follow his career much he ALWAYS seems to play characters like that; makes me wonder how much he's acting.... )

I've quite enjoyed BSG, but I do miss the proper Starbuck :tsk: Never ceases to make me chuckle though, that scene in the pilot for The A-Team, where the Cylon walks past him and he says 'Don't I know you?????' Dirk Benedict just had the ability to carry something so cheesy off

Well, that show was always a little out there to begin; I'm not sure anyone but him really ever fully understood it (lively debates can be had about just what the finale means; was it all just a high level agents self torturing hallucination after he finally snaps, or something more...?)

Sometimes, you just have to enjoy the ride.

First I've heard of it, but it certainly sounds awesome, if they don't Hollywood it up too much. Casting could be critical though; Eccleston isn't Tom Baker, but he definitely worked as the Doctor, while still managing to make his regeneration a unique and memorable one. Didn't hurt to have a popular blonde hottie as his sidekick either (what is it about blondes with English accents that makes me feel all embarrassed and ashamed...? :redface: ) I'm not really sure whom I'd want to play Number Six; it's a complex and demanding role, because while he could tussle with anyone and give a good accounting of himself, in the Village things got a lot more cerebral and psychological, and that's a lot harder to "emote. " Still, a new Prisoner will be the first we've had in a long time, so I'd love to see it.

I thought it was a real shame (and a little ungrateful of him) that Eccleston quit after the one series, but his replacement, David Tennant, is doing a pretty good job, although you can tell his Doctor was Peter Davidson. Billie Piper quit at the end of the 2nd season, replaced by Freema Agyeman, who has been in turn replaced by Catherine Tate for the 4th season. Freema's apearing in at least 3 epsiodes though, and it looks like a return is on for Billie Piper..................................

And the Southern Belle accent has the same effect on me

Joel
05-05-2008, 07:11 AM
One of the great things of the last 15 years or so.................Director's Cuts :D..............OK, some of them stink, but on the whole I love the extra stuff you get to see that wasn't shown at the flix or on TV............I guess it really started with Aliens
I tend to associate it more with Bladerunner, but, yeah. Best thing about Bladerunner: Not only was it the first cyberpunk movie (by a fair margin; you can't really count Tron since it was all cyber and no punk... ) but it's seemingly destined to be the only cyberpunk film without Keanu Reeves.

It's like another BBC classic (that may also be getting reworked) Blakes 7............designed as the Beeb's answer to Star Trek, it, in general, held up quiet well with Star Trek's production quality..............only problem was it was released after George Lucas blew the field apart with Star Wars :doh:
PBS in Houston used to air Blakes 7 right after the Doctor; I never got into it, but my folks did.

I've quite enjoyed BSG, but I do miss the proper Starbuck :tsk: Never ceases to make me chuckle though, that scene in the pilot for The A-Team, where the Cylon walks past him and he says 'Don't I know you?????' Dirk Benedict just had the ability to carry something so cheesy off
Classic; I think that scene was probably the biggest thing I liked about that show, though George Peppard's always cool.

Sometimes, you just have to enjoy the ride.
Well, certainly in the case of surreal late '60s fare.... ;-p

I thought it was a real shame (and a little ungrateful of him) that Eccleston quit after the one series, but his replacement, David Tennant, is doing a pretty good job, although you can tell his Doctor was Peter Davidson. Billie Piper quit at the end of the 2nd season, replaced by Freema Agyeman, who has been in turn replaced by Catherine Tate for the 4th season. Freema's apearing in at least 3 epsiodes though, and it looks like a return is on for Billie Piper..................................
Well, I thought (and I'm hardly an expert on current UK TV) Eccleston was already established in his own right, so it struck me less as a case of ingratitude than as doing his bit for Crown and station to re-launch the Doctor, then moving on before he wound up being type cast (what's the last thing you saw Tom Baker do? The reunion show...? ;))

And the Southern Belle accent has the same effect on me
Me, too, actually; I thought of that as I wrote that last response, but the "Old Dominion" genteel accents of places like Virginia aren't that far removed from the "Eton accent" so it makes sense for me to like both or neither. May explain my fascination with Orbit gum girl, but not with the Cockney lassies.... :redface:

Den21vsBal19
05-05-2008, 07:43 AM
I tend to associate it more with Bladerunner, but, yeah. Best thing about Bladerunner: Not only was it the first cyberpunk movie (by a fair margin; you can't really count Tron since it was all cyber and no punk... ) but it's seemingly destined to be the only cyberpunk film without Keanu Reeves.

Now that is a great movie, not seen it in waaaaaayyyyyy to long

PBS in Houston used to air Blakes 7 right after the Doctor; I never got into it, but my folks did.

One of these days, I'm going to have to get around treating myself to the DVDs of Blakes 7.

Classic; I think that scene was probably the biggest thing I liked about that show, though George Peppard's always cool.

I always like Dwight Schultz as well. I saw him in something else as well, can't remember the name of it, but it was about the Manhattan Project, pleasantly suprised at how well Schultz did 'straight'

Well, certainly in the case of surreal late '60s fare.... ;-p

You can tell that some of the writers & producers were smoking some weird.............

Well, I thought (and I'm hardly an expert on current UK TV) Eccleston was already established in his own right, so it struck me less as a case of ingratitude than as doing his bit for Crown and station to re-launch the Doctor, then moving on before he wound up being type cast (what's the last thing you saw Tom Baker do? The reunion show...? ;))

To be honest, I only knew him from Gone in Sixty Seconds & 28 Days Later, and other than Heroes, I couldn't tell you a great deal about him since.............he was known, but certainly not household, if you know what I mean............

As for Tom Baker, he's probably one of the best known voices in the country, especially since Little Britain was created, but he did live as a bit of a recluse for a while.

Me, too, actually; I thought of that as I wrote that last response, but the "Old Dominion" genteel accents of places like Virginia aren't that far removed from the "Eton accent" so it makes sense for me to like both or neither. May explain my fascination with Orbit gum girl, but not with the Cockney lassies.... :redface:

There's few things more irritating than a screechin' Cockney :scared:

Nurse Red
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
OK, so what's Doctor Who Confidential?

Den21vsBal19
05-07-2008, 07:11 AM
Confidential is a look behind the scenes of individual episodes with the cast & crew...........sometimes can be quite interesting and/or funny

Den21vsBal19
05-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Well that was fun, only Doctor Who can get away with Agatha Christie & a man sized Wasp as the stars :lol:

Jaws
05-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Well that was fun, only Doctor Who can get away with Agatha Christie & a man sized Wasp as the stars :lol:

I missed the last ten minutes. Frustratingly I can't seem to get the actual episode on iPlayer for some reason so I can see the story ending. I'm getting confidential though and trying to piece the rest of the story together through that.

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2008, 03:21 AM
I missed the last ten minutes. Frustratingly I can't seem to get the actual episode on iPlayer for some reason so I can see the story ending. I'm getting confidential though and trying to piece the rest of the story together through that.
Don't forget, you can catch it a couple of nights on BBC3, or download via BBC's iPlayer

Jaws
05-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Don't forget, you can catch it a couple of nights on BBC3, or download via BBC's iPlayer

It was available on iPlayer by today, so I got to watch the end of it :D

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2008, 07:39 AM
It was available on iPlayer by today, so I got to watch the end of it :D
I really like this at the moment, every now & then visiting a 'proper' historical character.........ameks fo rgreat fun :D

Joel
05-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Shhh! He's back, at least for now, but all that means is they aired "School Reunion" last night (the one from season two with Sarah Jane Smith, for those who forgot. ) Feel like I'm back at wotmania all of a sudden: PLEASE POST SPOILER WARNINGS IN THE SUBJECT LINES OF ALL THREADS WITH SPOILERS! Lest I beat you.... ;-p

schnooks1
05-18-2008, 07:51 AM

You can get all of the seasons at this site. I just started watching them. Only in season 1! Love it!
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/Television/Doctor_Who_%282005%29.html

Joel
05-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Now that is a great movie, not seen it in waaaaaayyyyyy to long
Me either, actually; think the last time was the directors cut in a friends dorm room when I was way too sleep deprived to notice the differences. That would've been... I'd say about 15 years ago....

One of these days, I'm going to have to get around treating myself to the DVDs of Blakes 7.
I'll leave that one to you; I was pretty young when I saw it, and all I really remember is it didn't grab me.

I always like Dwight Schultz as well. I saw him in something else as well, can't remember the name of it, but it was about the Manhattan Project, pleasantly suprised at how well Schultz did 'straight'
Actually, yeah, he's not bad, but remember, in the fall of the late '70s I spent every Sunday watching six hours of football followed by Galactica, so Starbuck will always have a special place in my heart much like the Doctors. And then there were the times when one of the local independents (in those days things like Fox and the WB didn't exist, and outside of the three major networks and PBS stations had to survive on whatever they could scrounge, which could be both good and bad... ) would do a "Battlestar Galactica Week" and show two episodes back to back as nightly movies (there were also "Godzilla Week"s, "Gamorra Week"s and "Kung Fu Week"s, plus my first exposure to the '60s cult classic Time Tunnel (complete with Lee Meriwether. ))

You can tell that some of the writers & producers were smoking some weird.............
Well, you know nerds have to work extra hard to fit in with the rest of us.... ;-p

To be honest, I only knew him from Gone in Sixty Seconds & 28 Days Later, and other than Heroes, I couldn't tell you a great deal about him since.............he was known, but certainly not household, if you know what I mean............
He was in Heroes? I totally missed that, but being an American (NEVER call a Southerner a "Yank, " just FYI... ;-p ) I pretty much assumed he was known for British things I'd never seen (didn't see the films either, but I'm not much of a movie buff. ) But, no, I wasn't equating him to Ian McKellan or Liam Neeson. For one thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's English and they're not, which automatically gives them a leg up.... ;-p

As for Tom Baker, he's probably one of the best known voices in the country, especially since Little Britain was created, but he did live as a bit of a recluse for a while.
Best known voices in the country? Really? Oh, right.... *is American and frequently forgets there are countries other than the US and Texas* ;-p

There's few things more irritating than a screechin' Cockney :scared:
Well... it would depend on why she's screechin', Guv.... :naughty:

Hey, I'm recently liberated (if that's the word for it... ) I can say things like that. ;-p

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Shhh! He's back, at least for now, but all that means is they aired "School Reunion" last night (the one from season two with Sarah Jane Smith, for those who forgot. ) Feel like I'm back at wotmania all of a sudden: PLEASE POST SPOILER WARNINGS IN THE SUBJECT LINES OF ALL THREADS WITH SPOILERS! Lest I beat you.... ;-p
I'll try ;)

Only problem with this multi-nationalism thing, trying to keep into your head where everyone's upto, so as not to spoil anything :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2008, 07:56 AM
You can get all of the seasons at this site. I just started watching them. Only in season 1! Love it!
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/Television/Doctor_Who_%282005%29.html
Glad your enjoying it :rockon:

How far through the first series are you?

Joel
05-18-2008, 08:15 AM
I'll try ;)

Only problem with this multi-nationalism thing, trying to keep into your head where everyone's upto, so as not to spoil anything :laugh:
Yeah, I know; I was only teasing (a little. ) It really did make me think of the WoT part of wotmania though. I saw SO many threads deleted there right after Knife of Dreams was released, just because people couldn't follow simple directions and lacked either the intelligence or the decency to realize that just because I bought and read the thing the day it came out (actually, I read it the next day; I didn't finish my series re-read until then, and blame Crossroads of Twilight for being such a crappy book, if better than The Path of Daggers) doesn't mean EVERYONE did. But if you reveal the Face of Bo is actually Davros in disguise I'll (try to) forgive you.... ;-p

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2008, 08:27 AM
Me either, actually; think the last time was the directors cut in a friends dorm room when I was way too sleep deprived to notice the differences. That would've been... I'd say about 15 years ago.....

I guess the last time I saw it would've been on TV about 5/6 years ago, just trying to catch it in the bargain bin

I'll leave that one to you; I was pretty young when I saw it, and all I really remember is it didn't grab me.

To each, their own

Actually, yeah, he's not bad, but remember, in the fall of the late '70s I spent every Sunday watching six hours of football followed by Galactica, so Starbuck will always have a special place in my heart much like the Doctors. And then there were the times when one of the local independents (in those days things like Fox and the WB didn't exist, and outside of the three major networks and PBS stations had to survive on whatever they could scrounge, which could be both good and bad... ) would do a "Battlestar Galactica Week" and show two episodes back to back as nightly movies (there were also "Godzilla Week"s, "Gamorra Week"s and "Kung Fu Week"s, plus my first exposure to the '60s cult classic Time Tunnel (complete with Lee Meriwether. ))

Bizzare..........it would've been about '83 when Galactica was shown over here, straight after the weekly NFL highlight show

Well, you know nerds have to work extra hard to fit in with the rest of us.... ;-p

And still fail miserably

He was in Heroes? I totally missed that, but being an American (NEVER call a Southerner a "Yank, " just FYI... ;-p ) I pretty much assumed he was known for British things I'd never seen (didn't see the films either, but I'm not much of a movie buff. ) But, no, I wasn't equating him to Ian McKellan or Liam Neeson. For one thing, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's English and they're not, which automatically gives them a leg up.... ;-p

Yeah, he played Claude in Season 1, I had to look twice.........

Best known voices in the country? Really? Oh, right.... *is American and frequently forgets there are countries other than the US and Texas* ;-p

Easily forgotten...............especially when they use different acotrs to do the same voice overs on TV shows and the like

Well... it would depend on why she's screechin', Guv.... :naughty:

Hey, I'm recently liberated (if that's the word for it... ) I can say things like that. ;-p

Too true :laugh: (And I'm not liberated )

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I know; I was only teasing (a little. ) It really did make me think of the WoT part of wotmania though. I saw SO many threads deleted there right after Knife of Dreams was released, just because people couldn't follow simple directions and lacked either the intelligence or the decency to realize that just because I bought and read the thing the day it came out (actually, I read it the next day; I didn't finish my series re-read until then, and blame Crossroads of Twilight for being such a crappy book, if better than The Path of Daggers) doesn't mean EVERYONE did. But if you reveal the Face of Bo is actually Davros in disguise I'll (try to) forgive you.... ;-p
Davros.........:D

Not a sign of him......................yet ;)

However, when you find out who the Face of Bo is..........................

Joel
05-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Well, we'll just see... Davros (and the Master) have been dead before, IIRC. Come to that, from what I've seen on Wikipedia there seems to be no little uncertainty about whether the Doctor really IS the last of the Time Lords (this is what happens when you lose touch with the series for twenty years; I still feel a little pang at the thought Gallifrey is no more. )

Den21vsBal19
05-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Well, we'll just see... Davros (and the Master) have been dead before, IIRC. Come to that, from what I've seen on Wikipedia there seems to be no little uncertainty about whether the Doctor really IS the last of the Time Lords (this is what happens when you lose touch with the series for twenty years; I still feel a little pang at the thought Gallifrey is no more. )
Well, the Master is a Time Lord, and as far as we know he's only regenerated 4 times so anything is possible..........

Even upto the middle of the 4th season, the Time War & subsequent fate of Gallifrey & the Time Lords hasn't been fleshed out any, I'm hoping for a real blockbuster story line at some point.............

Just had a quick look, whispers are that Davros may make a return in Season 4 :rockon:

Nurse Red
05-24-2008, 05:35 PM
This is my boy watching "Rose" for the first time.

The chair in front of him was originally there to use as a table for his dinner, but the farther into the first department store scene we got, with the mannequins doing their thing, the farther beneath the front of it he sank, until you could barely see his eyes. :laugh:

He's completely enraptured... but if he DOES have to talk to me, he's already affected a fairly decent British accent.

I'm almost having more fun watching HIM than the show. Almost. :lol:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/redbirdy80/052408_1816.jpg

Joel
05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
If there's not furniture obscuring the screen, it's not Doctor Who.... ;-p

Caught a break the other day, or two breaks this week (hey, I was due... ) 'cos the locals aired the Madame Pompadour episode on Thursday night, meaning I was able to see it then and not get caught by the fact I was scheduled to work today, and there's so little to do this weekend they sent me home as soon as I got there tonight; I COULD watch it again. More likely I'll just go back to bed unless something more interesting offers....

Would be cool to see Davros again; I always liked him better than the Master anyway; the latter always struck me as just an "Anti-Doctor" while Davros developed a rich identity of his own. Several times, in fact.... Unlike the Master he was no Time Lord, and in that respect the Doctor would always have an edge (if nothing else he could just outwait the mad genius... ) yet somehow he and his creations always seemed the best match for their adversary, the most uncompromising and challenging despite not having the resources and innate abilities of the Doctor to command. Kill Davros and he's dead (theoretically... ) but he always gave the Doctor a run for his money.

Den21vsBal19
05-25-2008, 02:33 AM
This is my boy watching "Rose" for the first time.

The chair in front of him was originally there to use as a table for his dinner, but the farther into the first department store scene we got, with the mannequins doing their thing, the farther beneath the front of it he sank, until you could barely see his eyes. :laugh:

He's completely enraptured... but if he DOES have to talk to me, he's already affected a fairly decent British accent.

I'm almost having more fun watching HIM than the show. Almost. :lol:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/redbirdy80/052408_1816.jpg

I just showed my monster that and asked 'What do you think this little boy's watching?'

And he didn't even think about it..............'Doctor Who' :rofl:

Tht's one of the shows tricks, scaring without really threatening

Den21vsBal19
05-25-2008, 03:06 AM
If there's not furniture obscuring the screen, it's not Doctor Who.... ;-p

Caught a break the other day, or two breaks this week (hey, I was due... ) 'cos the locals aired the Madame Pompadour episode on Thursday night, meaning I was able to see it then and not get caught by the fact I was scheduled to work today, and there's so little to do this weekend they sent me home as soon as I got there tonight; I COULD watch it again. More likely I'll just go back to bed unless something more interesting offers....

Would be cool to see Davros again; I always liked him better than the Master anyway; the latter always struck me as just an "Anti-Doctor" while Davros developed a rich identity of his own. Several times, in fact.... Unlike the Master he was no Time Lord, and in that respect the Doctor would always have an edge (if nothing else he could just outwait the mad genius... ) yet somehow he and his creations always seemed the best match for their adversary, the most uncompromising and challenging despite not having the resources and innate abilities of the Doctor to command. Kill Davros and he's dead (theoretically... ) but he always gave the Doctor a run for his money.

That should be a tag-line for the show :laugh:

I liked that episode, the Doctor's face when he takes the mask of the robot pretty well sums up what the show's about.

Personally, the Master was always my favourite, I always like that dark reflection...................of course, with the Doctor gotten a darker edge, it makes the relationship a little more interesting Davros was always pretty good aswell though.

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Ok, could have done w/o that Jagafress thing from The Long Game.

Ew.

Joel
05-26-2008, 11:27 AM
That should be a tag-line for the show :laugh:

I liked that episode, the Doctor's face when he takes the mask of the robot pretty well sums up what the show's about.

Personally, the Master was always my favourite, I always like that dark reflection...................of course, with the Doctor gotten a darker edge, it makes the relationship a little more interesting Davros was always pretty good aswell though.
The blonde playing the infamous Madame wasn't bad either.... :redface:

I guess everyone's going to have their favorite villain just like they have their favorite Doctor (and it seems impossible for that contest not to be closer than the one for favorite Doctor.... ) I like the Master, too, but I'll always like Davros more just because he manages to be the Doctors equal without being the Doctors equal, if you take my meaning. I mean, geez, look at the progressively more debilitated states to which he was reduced before the end and he STILL found repeated means to annihilate all life in the universe if the Doctor hadn't intervened each time.

And yeah, the grimmer Doctors of the new series make the contrast between him and the Master less obvious. On the other hand, if the Master DID come back, that could actually be an interesting dynamic itself, provided it wasn't just a cheap Darth Vader ripoff, kinda like the Headmaster Giles played in School Reunion; "I was once like you, Doctor; soon, you will be like me.... [dun, dun, DUN...!]"

And yeah, didn't much care for the Jagrafress either, though it was a typical "oh, he's not the arch-villain, he's just a flunky" moment. But I was glad to see the Doctor "move on" for various reasons.

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Ok, could have done w/o that Jagafress thing from The Long Game.

Ew.
James said the Jag only rates not bad :laugh:

I liked Simon Pegg as The Editor though

What about the data portal thingies? :eek: :laugh:

*Snaps Fingers*

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 12:55 PM
The blonde playing the infamous Madame wasn't bad either.... :redface:

I guess everyone's going to have their favorite villain just like they have their favorite Doctor (and it seems impossible for that contest not to be closer than the one for favorite Doctor.... ) I like the Master, too, but I'll always like Davros more just because he manages to be the Doctors equal without being the Doctors equal, if you take my meaning. I mean, geez, look at the progressively more debilitated states to which he was reduced before the end and he STILL found repeated means to annihilate all life in the universe if the Doctor hadn't intervened each time.

And yeah, the grimmer Doctors of the new series make the contrast between him and the Master less obvious. On the other hand, if the Master DID come back, that could actually be an interesting dynamic itself, provided it wasn't just a cheap Darth Vader ripoff, kinda like the Headmaster Giles played in School Reunion; "I was once like you, Doctor; soon, you will be like me.... [dun, dun, DUN...!]"

And yeah, didn't much care for the Jagrafress either, though it was a typical "oh, he's not the arch-villain, he's just a flunky" moment. But I was glad to see the Doctor "move on" for various reasons.
Well, it was always going to take something a little special to melt the Doctors hearts ;)

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/tardis/images/thumb/d/d9/Madame.jpg/225px-Madame.jpg

Just realised when I was looking for a pic...........she played another quintessential British hottie as Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward in the Thunderbirds movie.

And your right, the discussions between greatest villain and best Doctor are as timeless as the Doctor himself.........:laugh:

As for your third statement, I'll plead the fifth ;)

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 05:22 PM
:eek:

Defabricator

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 05:34 PM

Defabricator

Didn't I tell you about that?????:eek:

Must've slipped my mind

*whistles innocently*

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Didn't I tell you about that?????:eek:

Must've slipped my mind

*whistles innocently*

That's ok, twas a pleasant surprise ;)

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 05:48 PM
That's ok, twas a pleasant surprise ;)
I'll bet :lol:

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
I'll bet :lol:

:laugh:.

They were talking about changing his clothes, and she said she was getting out the 'defabricator'... My eyes popped WIDE open... he goes "what's that?""

I about died laughing.

Then they started talking about messing with his face.

I yelled "Don't touch his face". My mom and sister laughed.

slim
05-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Doctor who????

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Doctor who????

Yes.

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 06:10 PM
:laugh:.

They were talking about changing his clothes, and she said she was getting out the 'defabricator'... My eyes popped WIDE open... he goes "what's that?""

I about died laughing.

Then they started talking about messing with his face.

I yelled "Don't touch his face". My mom and sister laughed.

You're as bad as your lad :rofl:

What I did like about that little sequence, and it shows how well regarded the series has been over the years is that the voices were supplied by the genuine presenters, Davina McColl for Big Brother, Anne Robinson for The Weakest Link & Trinny & Susannah for What Not To Wear

Just adds a little 'something' to proceedings

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 06:13 PM

What I did like about that little sequence, and it shows how well regarded the series has been over the years is that the voices were supplied by the genuine presenters, Davina McColl for Big Brother, Anne Robinson for The Weakest Link & Trinny & Susannah for What Not To Wear

Just adds a little 'something' to proceedings

It definitely does... very cool.

I've caved, and decided to let the boy stay up a little late in order to finish out the series. We just started watching The Parting of the Ways... and I'm remembering that this is the one I'd seen part of w/ the Daleks in it... but he hasn't, so it's all good :D I'm not even sure how much I saw.

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Doctor who????

The Doctor

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/10dr19.jpg/250px-10dr19.jpg

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
The Doctor

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/10dr19.jpg/250px-10dr19.jpg

Which one is yours?

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 06:16 PM
It definitely does... very cool.

I've caved, and decided to let the boy stay up a little late in order to finish out the series. We just started watching The Parting of the Ways... and I'm remembering that this is the one I'd seen part of w/ the Daleks in it... but he hasn't, so it's all good :D I'm not even sure how much I saw.
Well you couldn't leave it at The Doctor's promise that he was coming for Rose could you? ;)

Your lad's in for a treat at the end of the episode.................regeneration..........it'l l blow his socks off :D

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Which one is yours?
The one with the curly hair & the extremely long scarf, #4 Tom Baker.........longest tenured Doctor of the lot.........

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Well you couldn't leave it at The Doctor's promise that he was coming for Rose could you? ;)

Your lad's in for a treat at the end of the episode.................regeneration..........it'l l blow his socks off :D

LOL... no I couldn't... for him OR me. Got to admit I'm a teeny bit wrapped up. :laugh:

And wow... now they're kissing. Hmmm.

Can't wait for the regeneration part ;) I just told him this is the last one w/ this Doctor. He got all excited, not sure why.

He's funny... in the last episode, when Rose got 'disintegrated' he looked at me with this panic-stricken face and said "But she's ok, because she's in episodes with the 10th Doctor, right?"

I laughed and told him of course she's going to be ok.

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM

Well, it's very important to me that his face stay intact the way it is ;)

The one with the curly hair & the extremely long scarf, #4 Tom Baker.........longest tenured Doctor of the lot.........

Very cool.

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
LOL... no I couldn't... for him OR me. Got to admit I'm a teeny bit wrapped up. :laugh:

And wow... now they're kissing. Hmmm.

Can't wait for the regeneration part ;) I just told him this is the last one w/ this Doctor. He got all excited, not sure why.

He's funny... in the last episode, when Rose got 'disintegrated' he looked at me with this panic-stricken face and said "But she's ok, because she's in episodes with the 10th Doctor, right?"

I laughed and told him of course she's going to be ok.

I'm going to have to get onto the producers about some royalties for all this free advertising I'm giving them :laugh:

Captain Jack is a 'friendly' sort of chap, isn't he?

You can't escape a kid's logic, can you?

Well, it's very important to me that his face stay intact the way it is ;)

Very cool.

Behave, he might be your type, but I'm pretty sure you're not his ;)

They did a show, I think it was the 25th anniversary called The Five Doctors..........that was really wacky!!!!

BTW, there's also a Christmas special to go along with each series, it may take a little more digging to find those though........

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm going to have to get onto the producers about some royalties for all this free advertising I'm giving them :laugh:

:laugh: I'll write them a letter.

Very friendly ;)

Nope, his logic's perfect... and if it keeps him from getting worked up about it, all the better :laugh:

The Five Doctors[/I]..........that was really wacky!!!!

BTW, there's also a Christmas special to go along with each series, it may take a little more digging to find those though........

I wish you'd stop telling me that... I'll have to keep ignoring you, you know.

That would be cool to watch.

I have my TiVo set to catch anything that says "Doctor Who," so hopefully eventually that stuff, the specials and stuff, will show up...

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
:laugh: I'll write them a letter.

Very friendly ;)

Nope, his logic's perfect... and if it keeps him from getting worked up about it, all the better :laugh:

I wish you'd stop telling me that... I'll have to keep ignoring you, you know.

That would be cool to watch.

I have my TiVo set to catch anything that says "Doctor Who," so hopefully eventually that stuff, the specials and stuff, will show up...
NOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Don't put me on iggy :sad:

:laugh:

All the Christmas special's have been worth watching........

The first one was David Tennant's first real outing as the Doctor.

The second was the first appearance of a future companion

And the third is set on the Titanic

The other one worth watching, if you can find it, is called 'Monsters & Music', and features the BBC Wales orchestra performing music from the show, introduced by David Tennant, and conducted by a Dalek & some Cybermen :lol:

If I'd have known about it, I'd have doen anything to take James to that concert

elsid13
05-26-2008, 06:53 PM
I was extremely skeptical that I would like the newest reincarnation of the Doctor, having fallen in love with series as a child, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

Though for some reason I thought the women assistant used to be better looking.

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
I was extremely skeptical that I would like the newest reincarnation of the Doctor, having fallen in love with series as a child, but I have been pleasantly surprised.

Which Doctor and Assistant(s) would that be?

elsid13
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Which Doctor and Assistant(s) would that be?

I started with #4 and work up form there.

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 07:21 PM
NOOOOOOOooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Don't put me on iggy :sad:

All the Christmas special's have been worth watching........

The first one was David Tennant's first real outing as the Doctor.

The second was the first appearance of a future companion

And the third is set on the Titanic

The other one worth watching, if you can find it, is called 'Monsters & Music', and features the BBC Wales orchestra performing music from the show, introduced by David Tennant, and conducted by a Dalek & some Cybermen :lol:

If I'd have known about it, I'd have doen anything to take James to that concert

You know I could never ignore you. I'll just keep pretending you haven't said it :eviltongue:

I just looked... I think I have 2 of those Christmas Specials... Christmas Invasion and Voyage of the Damned are numbered episodes 2.0 and 4.0, respectively... I just assumed it was a weird British thing to number something zero :laugh:

What an amazing concert that must have been!

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I started with #4 and work up form there.
OK, so that's my Doctor, Tom Baker.................

And which companion?

Sarah Jane

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/96/Sarahjane.jpg/200px-Sarahjane.jpg

Leela

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/gallery/jameson/images/340/06.jpg

The First Romana

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b6/Tamm01.jpg/200px-Tamm01.jpg

The Second Romana

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7a/Ward01.jpg/200px-Ward01.jpg

Teagan

http://web.ncf.ca/at850/fieldj12.jpg

or Nyssa?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6f/Nyssa2.jpg/200px-Nyssa2.jpg

elsid13
05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Leela Cave girl hot

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 07:33 PM
You know I could never ignore you. I'll just keep pretending you haven't said it :eviltongue:

Doesn't make it any less true though :eviltongue:

I just looked... I think I have 2 of those Christmas Specials... Christmas Invasion and Voyage of the Damned are numbered episodes 2.0 and 4.0, respectively... I just assumed it was a weird British thing to number something zero :laugh:

They're stand alone stories, shown between seasons, so I guess they had to come up with something ;)

What an amazing concert that must have been!

Certainly was from what I saw on TV

Joel
05-26-2008, 07:36 PM

Behave, he might be your type, but I'm pretty sure you're not his ;)
Well, as I understand things, Captain Jack's type is "attractive and breathing. " Makes me wonder what IS off limits for those open minded 51st Century folks.... ;-p

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Leela Cave girl hot

I can't disagree with you ;)

Joel
05-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Rose isn't bad, and I think as long as you realize the Fourth Doctor is gone it's quite possible to appreciate some excellent successors. And due to his popularity there's TONS of recordings of Tom Baker episodes; I've been seeing them in video shops since I was a kid. My dad was part of the ranks of Leela followers, but I think I prefer Nyssa.

Nurse Red
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Doesn't make it any less true though :eviltongue:

Insofar as it will ever ACTUALLY matter to me, it does ;)

They're stand alone stories, shown between seasons, so I guess they had to come up with something ;)

Sure, it makes perfect sense, now that I know what they are... I just figured it was a weird Britishism, anyways.

I'm sure, for something like that, that's how they'd do it over here too...

Certainly was from what I saw on TV
I'll have to see if I can find it :D

Den21vsBal19
05-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Insofar as it will ever ACTUALLY matter to me, it does ;)

I'll have to see if I can find it :D

:laugh: Fair enough :D

You won't regret it

Joel
05-31-2008, 10:22 PM
T-roughly 30:00--unless PBS screws me again. 42 online site is down and can't reach certain folks via phone; if they decide to "just skip" the Doctor this week I'm gonna hurt somebody....

EDIT: Oooo, Cybermen. Knew they were coming, but this should be good....

Den21vsBal19
06-01-2008, 11:55 AM
T-roughly 30:00--unless PBS screws me again. 42 online site is down and can't reach certain folks via phone; if they decide to "just skip" the Doctor this week I'm gonna hurt somebody....

EDIT: Oooo, Cybermen. Knew they were coming, but this should be good....
Which episode was it then? The first one with the reimagined cybermen? :D

Good news, Friday night BBC showed a trailer for the 2nd half of the 4th season.............

Look's like your mate is back ;)

Nurse Red
06-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Watching "The Satan Pit" right now... and I gotta tell you, I'm pretty impressed with Rose. She's one tough broad!!!

Edit: Ok, now I'm crying. Whose idea was it for me to watch this stinking show anyways?!?!

Den21vsBal19
06-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Watching "The Satan Pit" right now... and I gotta tell you, I'm pretty impressed with Rose. She's one tough broad!!!
Not fair!!!!!!!

You're watching the Doctor and I'm stuck in work :sad:

She is one tough hombre :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Not fair!!!!!!!

You're watching the Doctor and I'm stuck in work :sad:

She is one tough hombre :laugh:

Ah, I thought I'd get a chance to sneak in an edit before you replied...

Funny, The Doctor disappeared down the pit saying "Tell Rose..., aw, she knows." I'm bawling, and my little man keeps saying "Mom, you know he's not dead, he's in other episodes after this one." I know he's right, but couldn't help crying anyways. :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Good lord, I'm crying again. This show has turned me into a complete SAP!

Den21vsBal19
06-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Ah, I thought I'd get a chance to sneak in an edit before you replied...

Funny, The Doctor disappeared down the pit saying "Tell Rose..., aw, she knows." I'm bawling, and my little man keeps saying "Mom, you know he's not dead, he's in other episodes after this one." I know he's right, but couldn't help crying anyways. :laugh:

Good lord, I'm crying again. This show has turned me into a complete SAP!

Awwww.....:hug:

End of the series is the real tear jerker ;)

Nurse Red
06-20-2008, 10:11 AM

Awwww.....:hug:

End of the series is the real tear jerker ;)

I don't want to know :pout:

Den21vsBal19
06-20-2008, 10:27 AM
I don't want to know :pout:
Well, you've got a virtual shoulder when you need it ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 12:42 PM
As promised elsewhere, some photos of the Doctor Who Exhibition

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=139

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=135

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=140

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=142

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=134

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
:eek: Is that YOUR little monster? :D YAY!!!

Cool thing is I recognize ALMOST all of those things :D I'm getting there...

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 01:05 PM
:eek: Is that YOUR little monster? :D YAY!!!

Cool thing is I recognize ALMOST all of those things :D I'm getting there...
And a little extra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHi7uFS03I)for you ;)

That's him :rockon:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 01:06 PM
And a little extra (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHi7uFS03I)for you ;)

That's him :rockon:

Awesome, and what a cutie too!!!

Where are the pix of Daddy though? :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Awesome, and what a cutie too!!!

Where are the pix of Daddy though? :laugh:
For some strange reason, I always seem to end up behind the camera :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 01:10 PM
For some strange reason, I always seem to end up behind the camera :laugh:

Funny how that works out :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Funny how that works out :laugh:
Isn't it just ;)

Just watching the Doctor at the moment, episode 11 of season 4.............no Doctor and Rose is back :rockon:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Isn't it just ;)

Just watching the Doctor at the moment, episode 11 of season 4.............no Doctor and Rose is back :rockon:

SHE'S BACK???

Whoah!!!

I am not looking forward to finishing up this season, because I know she's on her way out... :pout:

We watched "Fear Her" this morning... THAT was kind of creepy, lol. Hoping to watch at least Army of Ghosts, if not that and Doomsday tonight...

Somehow in all of our recordings, we've missed Love and Monsters, but you said they were barely IN that one, right? :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
SHE'S BACK???

Whoah!!!

I am not looking forward to finishing up this season, because I know she's on her way out... :pout:

We watched "Fear Her" this morning... THAT was kind of creepy, lol. Hoping to watch at least Army of Ghosts, if not that and Doomsday tonight...

Somehow in all of our recordings, we've missed Love and Monsters, but you said they were barely IN that one, right? :laugh:
Sorry 'bout that, had to pop into work :frusty:

Yeah, they're not really in that one until towards the end........................that's a little trick that they've used to great effect in this 're-imagining' of the show, the episdoes without the Doctor, Love & Monsters, Blink and tonight's, Turn Left have been amongst the best, IMO............

Army of Ghosts and Doomsday are best watched as a pair if you can.................

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Sorry 'bout that, had to pop into work :frusty:

Yeah, they're not really in that one until towards the end........................that's a little trick that they've used to great effect in this 're-imagining' of the show, the episdoes without the Doctor, Love & Monsters, Blink and tonight's, Turn Left have been amongst the best, IMO............

Army of Ghosts and Doomsday are best watched as a pair if you can.................

Kind of cool that they're playing around with the show formula a bit to come up with stuff like that.

I'll keep that in mind for those 2 episodes... definitely won't start if we don't have time for both, thanks :D

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 02:31 PM
Kind of cool that they're playing around with the show formula a bit to come up with stuff like that.

I'll keep that in mind for those 2 episodes... definitely won't start if we don't have time for both, thanks :D
Yeah, I like it myself, keeps things a little fresh.........

The writer's they've brought into the show now are phenomenal, possibly the best bunch of TV writer's assembled........whilst not every episode has been everyone's cup of tea, the overall quality of them, and the things they've tried to do..............:eek:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I like it myself, keeps things a little fresh.........

The writer's they've brought into the show now are phenomenal, possibly the best bunch of TV writer's assembled........whilst not every episode has been everyone's cup of tea, the overall quality of them, and the things they've tried to do..............:eek:

It really IS saying a quite a bit that they've kept me interested, because for the most part, SciFi really ISN'T my thing. I think they've done a great job.

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 02:54 PM
It really IS saying a quite a bit that they've kept me interested, because for the most part, SciFi really ISN'T my thing. I think they've done a great job.
That's because it's just a good old fashioned family adventure show, that happens to use sci-fi as a vehicle.........

Hero, heroines, monsters and mystery...................what more could you want?

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 04:19 PM
DENNY!!!!!

She DIES??????????

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 04:31 PM
DENNY!!!!!

She DIES??????????

I can't say ;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 04:33 PM
I can't say ;)

What good are you?

THIS IS PANTS, I tell you, absolute pants!

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 04:35 PM
What good are you?

THIS IS PANTS, I tell you, absolute pants!

Hey, that's my line :laugh:

Take that's the end of the Army of Ghosts?

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Hey, that's my line :laugh:

Take that's the end of the Army of Ghosts?

No, we just started.

But her first words were along the lines of "This is Earth, where I died..."

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 04:42 PM
No, we just started.

But her first words were along the lines of "This is Earth, where I died..."
Oh yeah :doh:, what a great setup line that is :rockon:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh yeah :doh:, what a great setup line that is :rockon:

:laugh: I'm NOT enjoying myself, I want you to know... ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 04:49 PM
:laugh: I'm NOT enjoying myself, I want you to know... ;)
Liar :laugh:

You're loving every minute of it ;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Liar :laugh:

You're loving every minute of it ;)

LOL, maybe so. ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 04:59 PM
LOL, maybe so. ;)
Maybe my ..................:laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:01 PM
CYBERMEN AND DALEKS?

That isn't a bit of overkill?

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:04 PM
CYBERMEN AND DALEKS?

That isn't a bit of overkill?

That ain't overkill......................it's 'way cool dad' :laugh:

You ain't seen nothing, yet :coffee:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:06 PM
That ain't overkill......................it's 'way cool dad' :laugh:

You ain't seen nothing, yet :coffee:

:laugh: Guess they're sending her off with a bang, eh?

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:10 PM
:laugh: Guess they're sending her off with a bang, eh?
That, m'dear, would be telling....................;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:15 PM
That, m'dear, would be telling....................;)

You know you wanna tell me, Denny... ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:20 PM
You know you wanna tell me, Denny... ;)
But I don't want to spoil it for you ;)

Such a hard call :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:21 PM
But I don't want to spoil it for you ;)

Such a hard call :laugh:

Well, by the time you figure it out, I'll be through the episode anyways :lol:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:27 PM

Well, by the time you figure it out, I'll be through the episode anyways :lol:
Works for me :D

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Works for me :D

:laugh: I figured so...

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:32 PM
:laugh: I figured so...
If in doubt, say nothing :D

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:37 PM
If in doubt, say nothing :D

You're so bloody helpful :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:47 PM
You're so bloody helpful :laugh:
My pleasure :D

I'll answer any question about the show............except the plot :nono:

I do reserve the right to tease, though ;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:48 PM
My pleasure :D

I'll answer any question about the show............except the plot :nono:

I do reserve the right to tease, though ;)

I understand, and truth be told, I wouldn't REALLY want you to.

I'm bawling already... 15 min left to go...

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:52 PM

I understand, and truth be told, I wouldn't REALLY want you to.

I'm bawling already... 15 min left to go...
Don't worry, I'll not tell you for your own good..........

I've got a box of tissue round here, somewhere :lol:

And that's only the first part ;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Don't worry, I'll not tell you for your own good..........

I've got a box of tissue round here, somewhere :lol:

And that's only the first part ;)

:laugh:... My little man just brought me a box. He goes "This is the 3rd episode that's made you cry. What's up?"

I just shrugged, told him I was being silly.

Edit: And nope, that 15 min left is of Doomsday, we're almost done...

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 05:58 PM
:laugh:... My little man just brought me a box. He goes "This is the 3rd episode that's made you cry. What's up?"

I just shrugged, told him I was being silly.

Edit: And nope, that 15 min left is of Doomsday, we're almost done...
That's damn decent of him :laugh: James would just laugh at me!!!!!

(Actually, I would as well ;))

Damn, is that the time?????? :eek:

elsid13
06-21-2008, 06:11 PM
So Billie Piper gets naked in her new series - Confessions of a Call Girl. It was sweet

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:14 PM
So Billie Piper gets naked in her new series - Confessions of a Call Girl. It was sweet

Is that on already? I was going to try to catch that...

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:14 PM
That's damn decent of him :laugh: James would just laugh at me!!!!!

(Actually, I would as well ;))

Damn, is that the time?????? :eek:

Time got away from you, eh? :laugh:

elsid13
06-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Is that on already? I was going to try to catch that...

It been playing on Showtime for the last 3 weeks. It really isn't that good, but there is a lot of sex - which as a guy I give the thumbs up too.

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:16 PM
So I believe, never saw it though :(

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:16 PM
It been playing on Showtime for the last 3 weeks. It really isn't that good, but there is a lot of sex - which as a guy I give the thumbs up too.

I didn't even know anything about it until this weekend.

If the storyline's not that great, though, I may give it a pass... no need to watch sex scenes over and over again to remind myself of what I don't have... :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Time got away from you, eh? :laugh:
It normally does :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:19 PM
It normally does :laugh:

Why am I not surprised, somehow? :lol:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Why am I not surprised, somehow? :lol:
Because I always seem to be here :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Because I always seem to be here :laugh:

That's because you would miss me if you weren't :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:25 PM
That's because you would miss me if you weren't :laugh:
This is true ;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:27 PM
This is true ;)

See, I knew it ;)

You're just a big softie, admit it... :D

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:32 PM
See, I knew it ;)

You're just a big softie, admit it... :D
Oh, alright then..................:laugh:

Just keep it under your hat, OK? ;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Oh, alright then..................:laugh:

Just keep it under your hat, OK? ;)

Ok, I'll keep it just b/w you and me, then ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Ok, I'll keep it just b/w you and me, then ;)
I knew I could rely on your discretion ;)

Did you enjoy the end of the season then, and Rose's farewell?

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:42 PM
I knew I could rely on your discretion ;)

Did you enjoy the end of the season then, and Rose's farewell?

I'm bummed out.

However, it's kind of funny... I had always hoped that when she DID leave the show, they sent her home to Mickey... lost THAT hope when they left him in that other dimension... so I DID find that part kind of fitting. And cute that they'd brought Pete and Jackie back together...

Just not looking forward to getting to know that chick in the wedding dress. YEAH, I had forgotten about that, WTH is up with THAT?

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm bummed out.

However, it's kind of funny... I had always hoped that when she DID leave the show, they sent her home to Mickey... lost THAT hope when they left him in that other dimension... so I DID find that part kind of fitting. And cute that they'd brought Pete and Jackie back together...

Just not looking forward to getting to know that chick in the wedding dress. YEAH, I had forgotten about that, WTH is up with THAT?
It was a clever way of killing her, without actually killing her................through all the years, virtually all of the Doctor's Companions have gone home.

Ahhhh yes, Donna :laugh:

She's The Runaway Bride of the Christmas Special, but she's not the Doctor's assistant for the third season, that's Martha Jones..............

Catherine Tate's best known for her stand up & sketch based comedy, stuff like this (http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Catherine+Tate&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#) or this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3648633491143194374&q=Catherine+Tate&ei=HpJdSOHoNYaYigLmg4jQAw)

Basically a gobby so & so

Donna is the Companion for season 4 though.

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 06:57 PM
It was a clever way of killing her, without actually killing her................through all the years, virtually all of the Doctor's Companions have gone home.

Ahhhh yes, Donna :laugh:

She's The Runaway Bride of the Christmas Special, but she's not the Doctor's assistant for the third season, that's Martha Jones..............

Catherine Tate's best known for her stand up & sketch based comedy, stuff like this (http://video.google.com/videosearch?sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Catherine+Tate&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv&oi=property_suggestions&resnum=0&ct=property-revision&cd=1#) or this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3648633491143194374&q=Catherine+Tate&ei=HpJdSOHoNYaYigLmg4jQAw)

Basically a gobby so & so

Donna is the Companion for season 4 though.

So wait, she shows up for the Christmas Special and then doesn't come back for a whole season?

I wondered about that, because I thought I remembered the other lady from Blink.

Whew, this is a lot to keep up with :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:59 PM
So wait, she shows up for the Christmas Special and then doesn't come back for a whole season?

I wondered about that, because I thought I remembered the other lady from Blink.

Whew, this is a lot to keep up with :laugh:
That pretty much sums it up.............I can't remember exactly why, whether it was a creative or a scheduling decision................

What d'ya mean, I've got an extra season rattling round up here :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:01 PM
That pretty much sums it up.............I can't remember exactly why, whether it was a creative or a scheduling decision................

What d'ya mean, I've got an extra season rattling round up here :laugh:

:laugh: Yeah, but I know you can handle it ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 07:08 PM
:laugh: Yeah, but I know you can handle it ;)
Such a hard life :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Such a hard life :laugh:

You poor, poor baby. :lol:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 07:21 PM
You poor, poor baby. :lol:

I know :nerd:

Could be worse though, at least James hasn't killed Doctor Who for me like he normally does....................he's got a habit of watching shows and films 'til I can't stand em anymore................well for a while ;)

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I know :nerd:

Could be worse though, at least James hasn't killed Doctor Who for me like he normally does....................he's got a habit of watching shows and films 'til I can't stand em anymore................well for a while ;)

I can't really see that happening here, though...

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 07:27 PM

I can't really see that happening here, though...
Guess not :laugh:

And the internet's not quite the same as hearing the same theme tune every night for weeks :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Guess not :laugh:

And the internet's not quite the same as hearing the same theme tune every night for weeks :laugh:

Definitely. Although I love that theme song ;) :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Definitely. Although I love that theme song ;) :laugh:
Even so, you hear it enough times :frusty:

He's on Indy at the moment, every time I ask him if he wants a film on.............and the there's his Lego Indy video game.............Nooooooooooo :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Even so, you hear it enough times :frusty:

He's on Indy at the moment, every time I ask him if he wants a film on.............and the there's his Lego Indy video game.............Nooooooooooo :laugh:

:laugh: That's pretty funny.

I won't let my boy watch that yet... cuz I'm the meanest mom EVER ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 07:42 PM
:laugh: That's pretty funny.

I won't let my boy watch that yet... cuz I'm the meanest mom EVER ;)
Oh, I get that reguarly :laugh:

Let's hope the two of them don't start comparing notes !!!!!!!!:eek:

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh, I get that reguarly :laugh:

Let's hope the two of them don't start comparing notes !!!!!!!!:eek:

It could go one of two ways... either we BOTH look bad, or, if we worked it right, maybe we would BOTH come out smelling like roses :D

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Knowing my luck, it'd be smelling of what the roses are planted in :laugh:

And on that note, I think I'm going to call it a night...................enjoy the rest of your evening, m'dear

Nurse Red
06-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Knowing my luck, it'd be smelling of what the roses are planted in :laugh:

And on that note, I think I'm going to call it a night...................enjoy the rest of your evening, m'dear

Have a good one, Denny, it was wonderful, as always!

Nurse Red
06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Watched "Smith and Jones" today... think I'm going to like Martha, which is a plus, but then again, it's hard to get attached knowing she's a 1 season character...

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Watched "Smith and Jones" today... think I'm going to like Martha, which is a plus, but then again, it's hard to get attached knowing she's a 1 season character...
She's definitely got balls :laugh:

She's made an appearance in the 4th season as well (like I said, very few of the Doctor's companion's have actually come to a sticky end), and she's also appeared in Torchwood, so hopefully she may be a bit of a recurring charecter

Nurse Red
06-22-2008, 07:11 PM
She's definitely got balls :laugh:

She's made an appearance in the 4th season as well (like I said, very few of the Doctor's companion's have actually come to a sticky end), and she's also appeared in Torchwood, so hopefully she may be a bit of a recurring charecter

That's cool, because I do like her... she's a tough one from the get-fo, and somehow I'm drawn to strong female characters... I'm sure you're shocked.

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 07:17 PM
That's cool, because I do like her... she's a tough one from the get-fo, and somehow I'm drawn to strong female characters... I'm sure you're shocked.
Not shocked.............................scared :shake:

They've certainly brought the assistants on since Sarah Jane's day................back then the two requirement were pretty in a mini-skirt, and a piercing scream :D

Nurse Red
06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Not shocked.............................scared :shake:

They've certainly brought the assistants on since Sarah Jane's day................back then the two requirement were pretty in a mini-skirt, and a piercing scream :D

I'm glad that they've made adjustments... something tells me I'd have gotten tired of the other type REAL quick :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm glad that they've made adjustments... something tells me I'd have gotten tired of the other type REAL quick :laugh:
I don't know, they had their attractions :laugh:

Nurse Red
06-22-2008, 07:26 PM
I don't know, they had their attractions :laugh:

For YOU, maybe ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 07:35 PM
For YOU, maybe ;)
Back in the day, it wasn't just the female companions that wore skirts ;)

http://www.lallybroch.com/LOL/images/fhines11.jpg

Nurse Red
06-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Back in the day, it wasn't just the female companions that wore skirts ;)

http://www.lallybroch.com/LOL/images/fhines11.jpg

Ahahaha... now THERE's something you don't see every day anymore ;)

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Ahahaha... now THERE's something you don't see every day anymore ;)
Good job, really :laugh:

Then, aiming at teenage girls there was Adric

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/Adric.jpg/200px-Adric.jpg

But the vast majority of companions have been female :D

Nurse Red
06-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Good job, really :laugh:

Then, aiming at teenage girls there was Adric

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b2/Adric.jpg/200px-Adric.jpg

But the vast majority of companions have been female :D

Awww, he was a cutie!!

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Awww, he was a cutie!!
He's pretty much the only companion I can remember off the top of my head dying, he died in the story 'Earthshock', saving the world from the Cybermen

Nurse Red
06-22-2008, 07:51 PM
He's pretty much the only companion I can remember off the top of my head dying, he died in the story 'Earthshock', saving the world from the Cybermen

Wouldn't it figure they'd kill off the guy? The women, they want to give the chance to bring back :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
06-25-2008, 02:56 PM
A little pressie for you & the little man, m'dear

Timecrash (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfL-ZjLL-Tg)

A charity special from last year

Den21vsBal19
06-28-2008, 02:12 PM
:jaw:

OMG!!!!!!!!!

What a fantastic episode the penulitmate episode of season 4 was :jaw:

I'm blown away :eek:

Rollon the finale :elefant:

Den21vsBal19
07-04-2008, 07:34 PM
:jaw:

OMG!!!!!!!!!

What a fantastic episode the penulitmate episode of season 4 was :jaw:

I'm blown away :eek:

Rollon the finale :elefant:
17 hours 'til the UK finale of Season 4........................I don't know if I can bear the wait :elefant:

Den21vsBal19
07-05-2008, 02:15 PM
1 word for the season finale......

Outstanding!!!!!!! :rockon:

Joel
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
I just have to say, that's one of the ones etched in my memory. He always seemed a bit of a conceited screw up to me though, to be honest, so the ending worked: "That WOULD be his fault, wouldn't it...?" :P

I'm still in shock from the one last week on Sci-Fi where they go to the library and the aliens start taking over the staffs bodies. The story was one thing, but the sidestories hit way too close to home for me.

'Course, now I'm back to season two, work permitting....

Den21vsBal19
07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
I just have to say, that's one of the ones etched in my memory. He always seemed a bit of a conceited screw up to me though, to be honest, so the ending worked: "That WOULD be his fault, wouldn't it...?" :P

I'm still in shock from the one last week on Sci-Fi where they go to the library and the aliens start taking over the staffs bodies. The story was one thing, but the sidestories hit way too close to home for me.

'Course, now I'm back to season two, work permitting....
Yeah, he did need slapping down to size every now & then :laugh:

The 'Vashta Norada'? Brilliant..............'Who turned out the lights?'

That was close to classic :couch: Doctor Who, my lad was nearly red to make a dive behind :laugh:

Did you see both parts of it?

Where abouts in season 2 are you?

Nurse Red
07-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey Denny...

What's it cost to pick up the DVD sets over there across the pond?

Den21vsBal19
07-10-2008, 02:41 PM
On release, they're about $120 for the current ones.:eek:

Although Amazon normally knock about 25% off though

And they're one of the few DVD's that I get on release as it's part of James' Christmas box ;)

Nurse Red
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
On release, they're about $120 for the current ones.:eek:

Although Amazon normally knock about 25% off though

And they're one of the few DVD's that I get on release as it's part of James' Christmas box ;)

Ok.

So it's not just here. That's nuts!!!

Christmas box?

Den21vsBal19
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Ok.

So it's not just here. That's nuts!!!

Christmas box?
Santa sack

Nurse Red
07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Santa sack

Aha. Very cool... :D

Den21vsBal19
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Aha. Very cool... :D
Makes him easy to buy for, since I know he's happy with that every year :laugh:

And the fact that I enjoy watching it is merely coincidental ;)

Nurse Red
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Makes him easy to buy for, since I know he's happy with that every year :laugh:

And the fact that I enjoy watching it is merely coincidental ;)

Can't imagine how it worked out that way... ;)

Den21vsBal19
07-10-2008, 03:17 PM

Can't imagine how it worked out that way... ;)
Incredible, isn't it? :lol:

Joel
07-10-2008, 04:54 PM
But the best was when he did it to himself. ;)

That was close to classic :couch: Doctor Who, my lad was nearly red to make a dive behind :laugh:

Yeah, that's the one, and no, I only got to see the second one (twice; ah, cable.... :tongue: ) There were just a lot of things that really resonated in a keenly felt way. It was a good episode in itself (though I found myself almost screaming at the TV "You're in a :censored: library; where do you THINK they are...?") but... well, anyway....

Honestly couldn't tell ya till Saturday. Not far, but between mandatory OT, the trip and stuff I haven't been able to keep up very well. I'm hoping all that stuff's behind me and some semblance of "normal" returns to my life soon. By vacation I was really drained, but I couldn't really address that, so I tried to just get away from it, couldn't, and wound up more drained than ever. At some point ya gotta man up though and MAKE your life normal again, whatever that takes. I guess that's another "the universe would die of despair if the Doctor ever gave up for but a moment" type deals. On which note it's time for me to go to work; later, ya'll and take care.

Den21vsBal19
07-10-2008, 05:16 PM
But the best was when he did it to himself. ;)

Yeah, that's the one, and no, I only got to see the second one (twice; ah, cable.... :tongue: ) There were just a lot of things that really resonated in a keenly felt way. It was a good episode in itself (though I found myself almost screaming at the TV "You're in a :censored: library; where do you THINK they are...?") but... well, anyway....

Honestly couldn't tell ya till Saturday. Not far, but between mandatory OT, the trip and stuff I haven't been able to keep up very well. I'm hoping all that stuff's behind me and some semblance of "normal" returns to my life soon. By vacation I was really drained, but I couldn't really address that, so I tried to just get away from it, couldn't, and wound up more drained than ever. At some point ya gotta man up though and MAKE your life normal again, whatever that takes. I guess that's another "the universe would die of despair if the Doctor ever gave up for but a moment" type deals. On which note it's time for me to go to work; later, ya'll and take care.
'Twas indeed :laugh:

I'm sure you can figure out the first episode from the 2nd ;) Of course, the big question is how & when the Doctor meets River Song.

I know what you mean, the Father in Law got out of hospital last weekend after 4 months, it's nice when normal service can be resumed.............

Have a good day, don't work too hard ;)

Joel
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
'Twas indeed :laugh:

I'm sure you can figure out the first episode from the 2nd ;) Of course, the big question is how & when the Doctor meets River Song.

I know what you mean, the Father in Law got out of hospital last weekend after 4 months, it's nice when normal service can be resumed.............

Have a good day, don't work too hard ;)
Sorry to hear he was ill, but glad he's doing better; will keep ya'll in my prayers. Work was actually pretty light; last few days I've been wishing things were coming FASTER so I had something to zone in on exclusively (faint hope, I think; I'm just too good at what I do now and can literally shuffle IV bags like cards, so I guess all the contract bridge has payed off, but, no, I don't play Acol, ya silly furriner. :tongue: ) I need these next three days off though; I only had one day off when I got back from vacation before I headed back to work, so now that I can actually get to sleep again I'm hoping to catch up on some.

Joel
07-12-2008, 11:40 PM

'K, now it's Saturday I can answer that; tonights episode is "Fear Her." Seems like another good one, and I'm back to the Doctors "normal" companion rather than one who's brand new to me even though there's obviously lots of history. Heh, I thought it was wrapping early, but apparently they're not quite finished yet. Not sure what's going on though, 'cos I thought once they dealt with the alien thing willing to inflict anything rather than being alone it was done, but not quite.

Den21vsBal19
07-13-2008, 03:13 PM
'K, now it's Saturday I can answer that; tonights episode is "Fear Her." Seems like another good one, and I'm back to the Doctors "normal" companion rather than one who's brand new to me even though there's obviously lots of history. Heh, I thought it was wrapping early, but apparently they're not quite finished yet. Not sure what's going on though, 'cos I thought once they dealt with the alien thing willing to inflict anything rather than being alone it was done, but not quite.
Ohhh, you're taxing my memory with that one :laugh:

Not one of my favourites of the season, but quite clever.............the season (& Billie Piper) ends with a two parter next

Den21vsBal19
07-14-2008, 05:56 AM
Looks like a reduced schedule for the Doctor next year, no series, and 4 hour long specials, starting with 'The Return of the Cybermen' this Christmas...........

The show has beenn way too succesful for the BBC to let it go permanently though, so there are two big questions........

1) Will the driving for behind the reincarnation, Russell T. Davis be back?

2) And will David Tennant be back beyond the four specials?

The Doctor's plans to travel forward in time (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/07/11/nosplit/bvtvwho11.xml) (No spoilers)

Nurse Red
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Times like this I'm glad I'm behind ;)

Den21vsBal19
07-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Times like this I'm glad I'm behind ;)
:eviltongue:

I guess I'm now grateful Battlestar's running over into next year, at least I get some new sci-fi :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
07-18-2008, 04:32 PM
According to some of today's less reliable papers...........

David Tennant has been offered $3mil for the 2010 season.

Also, I've dug this up, but writer/executive producer Russell T. Davis will leave the show after next year's specials, replaced by writer Steven Moffat, who has written some crackin' episodes such as Blink, The Girl In The Fireplace and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

BBC ~ Doctor Who guru Davies steps down (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7411177.stm)

And what a tangled web the show weaves................supposedly, the Doctor is dating his own daughter :eek:

David Tennant is allegedly dating Georgia Moffett, who played his daughter, Jenny, in season 4's 'The Doctor's Daughter' and is the real-life daughter of Peter Davison, who played the Fifth Doctor

Den21vsBal19
07-20-2008, 02:30 AM
New top dog Steven Moffatt has backed out of a $1mil deal to write the scripts for the forthcoming Steven Spielberg & Peter Jackson 'Tintin' project to achieve his childhood ambition of running the show.

£500,000 Mr Spielberg? Sorry, I've got a date with the Beeb (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1036567/500-000-Mr-Spielberg-Sorry-Ive-got-date-Beeb-says-new-Dr-Who-writer.html)

Good for him :D

On a side note, is Tintin the biggest directorial collaboration in history?

Jaws
01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7808697.stm

We have our eleventh Doctor!

And he's so young!

David Tennant is going to be a hard act to follow, but I have to say from what I've seen of this guy during the Confidential show this evening and his performance in the Ruby and the Stone I already like him.

Sparkie
01-03-2009, 04:48 PM

And he's so young!

David Tennant is going to be a hard act to follow, but I have to say from what I've seen of this guy during the Confidential show this evening and his performance in the Ruby and the Stone I already like him.
I know you do ... I got a txt from you at 6.03pm (JUST after the 11th Doctor had been announced) saying "I like him! :)" :madgrin:

I like him too :)

Den21vsBal19
01-04-2009, 09:13 AM

And he's so young!

I've not seen Confidential yet.....................little matter of a football match to watch last night;)

Don't know anything about this new guy.......................guess we'll find out next year :D

Den21vsBal19
04-05-2009, 04:23 AM
New special to be shown over here next weeked :rockon:

Skinny
04-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Over here...

What, is the Dr. to good for us bloody yanks??

Skinny
04-05-2009, 10:50 AM
I want some classics man.

Den21vsBal19
04-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Over here...

What, is the Dr. to good for us bloody yanks??
Makes a pleasant change :lol: