PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Team Report May 2, 2008

claymore
05-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Denver Broncos Team Report
Scout.com/Miller Safrit

By Scout. com

Posted May 2, 2008

In the volumes of post-draft analysis, the Denver Broncos barely got a mention. There wasn't much to talk about. The Broncos stuck to their plan, targeting players that filled needs, and were pleasantly surprised when many of them fell. There was no need to pull off complicated trades when the players Denver wanted were available to them.

When Boise State's Ryan Clady fell to the Broncos with the 12th pick of the draft, Denver's offensive line took a turn for the better.

The Broncos had usually picked linemen with late picks, with the exception of 2003 first-rounder George Foster, who didn't pan out. Denver hit on plenty of those late picks at a time when not many teams were using the zone-blocking scheme.

The Broncos had to invest to get a top left tackle, and that's what they project Clady to become. Clady wasn't drafted with the 12th overall pick to sit on the bench.

"He'll start at left offensive tackle the day he comes in," Shanahan said.

That means a shuffle for the rest of the line, which suddenly is deeper than it has been in a few years, even with the retirement of Matt Lepsis.

Chris Kuper, Ryan Harris and Erik Pears will probably fight for the right tackle spot, with any one of the three being capable of backing up Clady on the left side. All three have credentials.

Kuper started most of last season at left guard and his strong play late in the season impressed the Broncos. He was penciled in at left tackle before Clady was selected. Harris was a third-round pick last year and the team likes his potential if his balky back holds up. Pears started most of 2006 at left tackle and all of 2007 at right tackle, so he has versatility and experience.

Center Tom Nalen and guard Ben Hamilton are expected back at 100 percent. Montrae Holland is coming off a solid year at right guard. Veteran Casey Wiegmann and third-round pick Kory Lichtensteiger can provide depth at guard and center.

The improvements in the starting lineup and the talented depth should be good news for the Broncos running game.

--In the volumes of post-draft analysis, the Denver Broncos barely got a mention. There wasn't much to talk about.

The Broncos stuck to their plan, targeting players that filled needs, and were pleasantly surprised when many of them fell. There was no need to pull off complicated trades when the players Denver wanted were available to them.

Offensive tackle Ryan Clady was the first-round target. Receiver Eddie Royal was the player Denver hoped would fall to them in the second round. They each showed off their new Broncos jerseys the day after they were selected.
"That (has) happened zero times in my NFL career -- that I could pick out the first two guys I wanted with my first two picks, and that actually happened," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said.

The Broncos didn't get every player they wanted, but had plenty of fortune on the second day of the draft, as well. Arizona State running back Ryan Torain was one pick in particular that fell into place. Torain fits what Denver likes in its running backs but fell in the draft because of a foot injury.

Denver also has high hopes for many of its other second-day picks. Almost all of them fit some kind of need.

Denver didn't trade any of its nine picks, which was a mild surprise. Usually the Broncos pull off multiple deals, or at least one big one. They had plenty of offers but Shanahan was content to stay put.

"You don't move just to move," Shanahan said. "If the guy that you want is there, then you stay with the pick."

NOTES, QUOTES
--The Broncos signed a handful of undrafted free agents. Among the most interesting were a kicker and a punter, because Denver has a wide open competition at each position. Denver signed kicker Garrett Hartley of Oklahoma and punter Brett Kern of Toledo. Because the Broncos have virtually no experience at either of their positions, they will have a chance to make the Broncos.

--One free agent signee to watch for the Broncos might be Colorado offensive lineman Tyler Polumbus. Polumbus is a good athlete who posted intriguing workout numbers leading up to the draft. He should fit well in Denver's scheme.

--Among the Broncos' cuts were veteran fullback Paul Smith. Smith was a good special-teams player, but the team drafted Arkansas fullback Peyton Hillis in the seventh round.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "I really didn't think he was going to be there." -- Broncos coach Mike Shanahan on first-round pick Ryan Clady, an offensive tackle from Boise State.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL
FRANCHISE PLAYER: None.
TRANSITION PLAYER: None.
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
--TE Stephen Alexander is very unlikely to be back, he will probably retire.
RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS: None.
EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS: None.

PLAYERS ACQUIRED
--LB Boss Bailey: UFA Lions; $17.5M/5 yrs, $4.35M SB.
--WR Keary Colbert: UFA Panthers: $7.3M/3 yrs, SB unknown.
--WR Darrell Jackson: FA 49ers; 1 yr, terms unknown.
--LB Niko Koutouvides: UFA Seahawks; $7.5M/3 yrs, SB unknown.
--S Marquand Manuel: UFA Panthers; $4.5M/3 yrs, $500,000 guaranteed.
--S Marlon McCree: FA Chargers; terms unknown.
--WR Samie Parker: UFA Chiefs; 1 yr, terms unknown.
--DT Dewayne Robertson (trade Jets).
--C Casey Wiegmann: UFA Chiefs; 2 yrs, terms unknown.

PLAYERS RE-SIGNED
--S Hamza Abdullah: RFA; $972,000/1 yr.
--DE Ebenezer Ekuban: UFA; 1 YR, terms unknown.
--DE John Engelberger: UFA; 2 yrs, terms unknown.
--CB Domonique Foxworth: Potential RFA; $972,000/1 yr.
--TE Nate Jackson: UFA; $2M/2 yrs, SB unknown.
--CB Karl Paymah: Potential RFA; $972,000/1 yr.
--OT Erik Pears: Potential ERFA; terms unknown.
--FB Cecil Sapp: UFA; $645,000/1 yr, $40,000 SB; 2008 cap: $485,000.

PLAYERS LOST
--K Jason Elam: UFA Falcons; $9M/4 yrs, $3.3M SB.
--S Nick Ferguson: UFA Texans; 1 yr, terms unknown.
--LB Ian Gold (released).
--LB Warrick Holdman (released).
--OT Matt Lepsis (retired).
--C Chris Myers: RFA; traded Texans.
--FB Paul Smith (released).
--WR Javon Walker (released).

http://oak.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=751930

Brand
05-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Nice little fluff piece, but it does generate excitement for the mini-camps to come shortly. (When do those darn things start? Isn't there some sort of rookie camp coming up soon before all the QB camps start?)

I think the first two picks and a couple of others will be contributors this year as has been cussed and discussed (ad infinitum) elsewhere in this august forum. And it had been said that the Broncos needed to get three or so starters out of this draft, and they got that and more. This is the third year in a row that they had a solid draft, and it portends well for the team and organization over the next couple of years.....

I agree that it was not a draft rife with controversy or excitement. But it was a draft that will be important, more so than the pundits and "experts" will or can acknowledge. In fact, I think Denver will be ignored by the media until they start winning the tough games and that will be fine with me. I expect the usual season of pathos, comedy, excitement, boredom, interest, pain and joy. That is entertainment, and that's what I'm talking about....

In two years, though, watch out. Orange Crush (or the Fighting Blueberries) coming atcha.....

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 09:35 AM
I really appreciate the article Clay and it nice to see that someone from the media outside of the Denver press complementing this draft class. He's right in that it's very much a very under the radar kind of draft.

Traveler
05-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice little fluff piece, but it does generate excitement for the mini-camps to come shortly. (When do those darn things start? Isn't there some sort of rookie camp coming up soon before all the QB camps start?)

June 11-13

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 04:50 PM

I think the first two picks and a couple of others will be contributors this year as has been cussed and discussed (ad infinitum) elsewhere in this august forum. And it had been said that the Broncos needed to get three or so starters out of this draft, and they got that and more. This is the third year in a row that they had a solid draft, and it portends well for the team and organization over the next couple of years.....

I agree that it was not a draft rife with controversy or excitement. But it was a draft that will be important, more so than the pundits and "experts" will or can acknowledge. In fact, I think Denver will be ignored by the media until they start winning the tough games and that will be fine with me. I expect the usual season of pathos, comedy, excitement, boredom, interest, pain and joy. That is entertainment, and that's what I'm talking about....

In two years, though, watch out. Orange Crush (or the Fighting Blueberries) coming atcha.....

I'm not sure where your three starters are out of the draft, unless Licthensteiger beats out Nalen for the position which I would like to see, if for no other reason youth movement and so next year we do not have to change things up AGAIN when Nalen goes....

Ziggy
05-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure where your three starters are out of the draft, unless Licthensteiger beats out Nalen for the position which I would like to see, if for no other reason youth movement and so next year we do not have to change things up AGAIN when Nalen goes....

Probable starters from the draft:
Ryan Clady-LT
Eddie Royal-KR/PR
Peyton Hillis-FB

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Ryan Clady-LT
Eddie Royal-KR/PR
Peyton Hillis-FB

I've never thought of KR/PR as starter but still Royal will get plenty of playing time.

honz
05-03-2008, 06:08 PM
I think he may have meant "future starters"...which there are a lot of, IMO.

I can see almost all of our picks being starters in a few years or less, except for maybe that CB (Williams).

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 06:36 PM
Ryan Clady-LT
Eddie Royal-KR/PR
Peyton Hillis-FB

Considering that royal may see 3-4 touches an game well that is a stretch IMO

Hillis sure I can see that when we are in a two back set .. Maybe a third at most of the plays.. so it looks more like 1.75 at best..

When I talk about starters I think in terms of being in every play on there side of the LOS...

But then that is just me..

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 06:39 PM

I can see almost all of our picks being starters in a few years or less, except for maybe that CB (Williams).

I can see the potential in this statement as many as 5 full time starters form the draft if they all pan out..

Perhaps the FA group may bring in almost as 3..

I'm not sure what mikey has done to make wiser choices, but I applaud it.

WELL DONE PAT!!!

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I can see the potential in this statement as many as 5 full time starters form the draft if they all pan out..

Perhaps the FA group may bring in almost as 3..

I'm not sure what mikey has done to make wiser choices, but I applaud it.

WELL DONE PAT!!!

Besides Clady who else do see as potential starters?

Joel
05-03-2008, 06:55 PM

That's pretty much the take I had; it's not likely anyone will beat out Nalen for the start at center, but Nalen's also the last player we have left from the Super Bowl teams; even the kicker, who was just starting then, is in Atlanta now. I don't think anyone's likely to poach our center, but that's because he's been playing since the early '90s. You can bet Denver is eying multiple potential starters (especially since Myers is in Houston now) and I hope most of them are already on the team, whether due to the '08 draft or not.

Joel
05-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Considering that royal may see 3-4 touches an game well that is a stretch IMO

Hillis sure I can see that when we are in a two back set .. Maybe a third at most of the plays.. so it looks more like 1.75 at best..

When I talk about starters I think in terms of being in every play on there side of the LOS...

But then that is just me..
I wouldn't call all those guys "probable" but I can see it. Clady will either start or be a bust at LT, and our top three WRs are a guy whose hand is uncertain, an excellent slot receiver and an underperformer from Carolina; if Royal justifies Shannys eagerness to pick him in the second he could well be a #1 or #2 WR. And if we stabilize our line I can see us running two backs a LOT; with a versatile fullback that gives us a lot more options, and opposing Ds a lot more complications. If Torain comes back 100% from his injury he might be a starter also.

I don't expect a lot of starters from the draft anyway, even with lots of picks; it's too much of a crap shoot and there's too much competition for the obviously talented players. Add in injuries, different schemes, the NFL learning curve and the (supposedly) declining value of later picks and I think you're doing good to get two or three starters ANY year.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't call all those guys "probable" but I can see it. Clady will either start or be a bust at LT, and our top three WRs are a guy whose hand is uncertain, an excellent slot receiver and an underperformer from Carolina; if Royal justifies Shannys eagerness to pick him in the second he could well be a #1 or #1 WR. And if we stabilize our line I can see us running two backs a LOT; with a versatile fullback that gives us a lot more options, and opposing Ds a lot more complications. If Torain comes back 100% from his injury he might be a starter also.

I don't expect a lot of starters from the draft anyway, even with lots of picks; it's too much of a crap shoot and there's too much competition for the obviously talented players. Add in injuries, different schemes, the NFL learning curve and the (supposedly) declining value of later picks and I think you're doing good to get two or three starters ANY year.

I would think one or more of the WR FA we got this year to take the #2 slot and or the #1 slot IF Marshall does not come back to 07 levels..

I do not see a 5'9" WR to play #1 in this offense not even at #2 but after Stokely is gone he might work into being the slot guy and that is a partime player on offense.. In any case he will not be a full time starter this year way to much playbook to learn.

clady will either BOOM or bust.. If everything they say is true about being the only true OLT in the draft.. then OK he should do great IF he can handle Mikeys playbook.. He is the only one I seeing playing this year as a starter.

I like what I see in Woodyard as a eventual replacement for Deep safety playing center field although with his LB experience he could be heir apparent for Johns slot.. I'm shocked to see him available as UFA thought he would be available in the 4th most thought he'd be gone by then.

I think Aldridge could wind up a decent little RB with lots of potential as change of pace guy..

I do not know enough about the other draft choice and less of the other UFA

One starter this year form this class with 4-5 more down the road.. NOT COUNTING kickers..

BTW mikey has with one exception sucked at taking WR in the draft.. Marshal being that exception but then we ave not yet made it through season three yet when they always blow up..

Joel
05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
I would think one or more of the WR FA we got this year to take the #2 slot and or the #1 slot IF Marshall does not come back to 07 levels..

I do not see a 5'9" WR to play #1 in this offense not even at #2 but after Stokely is gone he might work into being the slot guy and that is a partime player on offense.. In any case he will not be a full time starter this year way to much playbook to learn.

clady will either BOOM or bust.. If everything they say is true about being the only true OLT in the draft.. then OK he should do great IF he can handle Mikeys playbook.. He is the only one I seeing playing this year as a starter.

I like what I see in Woodyard as a eventual replacement for Deep safety playing center field although with his LB experience he could be heir apparent for Johns slot.. I'm shocked to see him available as UFA thought he would be available in the 4th most thought he'd be gone by then.

I think Aldridge could wind up a decent little RB with lots of potential as change of pace guy..

I do not know enough about the other draft choice and less of the other UFA

One starter this year form this class with 4-5 more down the road.. NOT COUNTING kickers..

BTW mikey has with one exception sucked at taking WR in the draft.. Marshal being that exception but then we ave not yet made it through season three yet when they always blow up..
I don't realistically see anyone but Clady starting this season, certainly not by Opening Day. When I saw the scouting on Woodyard I also immediately thought of Lynch; you know my thoughts on our safety positions and I think we're pretty much on the same page, but if Shanny listened to me he'd have taken more than one top DT prospect in the last few drafts.

It's the draft, and I don't really expect anyone to consistently do anything, because "consistency" is not a hallmark of the draft. If it was Night Train Layne would never have played a Pro down, and Courtney Brown would be a first ballot HoFer.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't realistically see anyone but Clady starting this season, certainly not by Opening Day. When I saw the scouting on Woodyard I also immediately thought of Lynch; you know my thoughts on our safety positions and I think we're pretty much on the same page, but if Shanny listened to me he'd have taken more than one top DT prospect in the last few drafts.

It's the draft, and I don't really expect anyone to consistently do anything, because "consistency" is not a hallmark of the draft. If it was Night Train Layne would never have played a Pro down, and Courtney Brown would be a first ballot HoFer.

Yes DT would have been #2 this year IMO.. Although if Powell(?) is the stud he is made out to be he just may fill the bill in running downs and a longterm rotational guys down the road..

IMO we should never ever take a WR in the draft only by trades after they have been in the league 3+ years..

Although I would have waived the "JR rule" on the kid from Kansas whose name escapes me right this minute.. JORDY (mad cow you know)..

I'm a firm believer that if you do not hit a starter on both picks day one then something is seriously wrong with your GM, or scouting staff..or in OAKs case owner..

Now things do happen from year to year (career ending injuries in TC) but if your not getting consistent starters on day one someone gets fired.. In years past we have had less than 25% on day one if you factor out LB's..

omac
05-03-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm not as interested in starters as I am in players who can make a big impact in the game. Ofcourse I'd like to have more starters from the draft, but I'd rather have high impact players. We had some starters last season who just weren't very good.

Using some of the criteria above, Hester is not considered a starter, but his impact on a game is definitely more than most starters on the Bears offense. :D

So I'm hoping Clady is a sold LT starter, but I'm hoping the rest are potentially high impact players who'll get us the plays we need to win when they're in the game.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm not as interested in starters as I am in players who can make a big impact in the game. Of course I'd like to have more starters from the draft, but I'd rather have high impact players. We had some starters last season who just weren't very good.

Using some of the criteria above, Hester is not considered a starter, but his impact on a game is definitely more than most starters on the Bears offense. :D

So I'm hoping Clady is a sold LT starter, but I'm hoping the rest are potentially high impact players who'll get us the plays we need to win when they're in the game.

Well I think that most of the "Starters from last years draft" were there more by necessity than because they earned the spot.

I don not see Royal being that big of a impact IF they do not make sweeping changes to the ST group. Houdini he is not..

I'm not looking at a playoff run this next year but 2009 should IMO be something special unless SAN implodes they will be the division winners and the AFC is to tough with other teams to go wild card IMO..

omac
05-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Well I think that most of the "Starters from last years draft" were there more by necessity than because they earned the spot.

I don not see Royal being that big of a impact IF they do not make sweeping changes to the ST group. Houdini he is not..

I'm not looking at a playoff run this next year but 2009 should IMO be something special unless SAN implodes they will be the division winners and the AFC is to tough with other teams to go wild card IMO..

He looked pretty good in the highlight video, so who knows. They did get a couple other guys who could contribute in special teams in the draft. Maybe even that quick six guy could provide some speed on ST.

If SD experiences the run of injuries that we did last season, then the AFC West gets wide open. Tough for the Broncos to win with that many injuries to key positions.

nevcraw
05-03-2008, 09:53 PM
hopefully they all will be..
but I would say Torain. wk . 5

Drill-N-Fill
05-03-2008, 10:24 PM
He looked pretty good in the highlight video, so who knows. They did get a couple other guys who could contribute in special teams in the draft. Maybe even that quick six guy could provide some speed on ST.

If SD experiences the run of injuries that we did last season, then the AFC West gets wide open. Tough for the Broncos to win with that many injuries to key positions.

I agree. Williams and Barrett are suppose to be special team coverage studs. I'm sure the LB and FB could hold their own. I don't see webster making the squad this year.

I think Williams is my fav of the group of late rounders. If he becomes a starter in a few years, we can use Bly's salary elsewhere.

omac
05-04-2008, 12:07 AM
I agree. Williams and Barrett are suppose to be special team coverage studs. I'm sure the LB and FB could hold their own. I don't see webster making the squad this year.

I think Williams is my fav of the group of late rounders. If he becomes a starter in a few years, we can use Bly's salary elsewhere.

Yeah I hope Royal and the potential ST guys we got pan out. I'm just real tired of seing the Broncos always having to start farther than everyone else.

topscribe
05-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Yeah I hope Royal and the potential ST guys we got pan out. I'm just real tired of seing the Broncos always having to start farther than everyone else.

People, mainly the draft analysts, can't understand why the Broncos jumped for Fast Eddie.

Those of us who are used to starts on the 15 yard line know why . . .

-----

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 12:15 AM

People, mainly the draft analysts, can't understand why the Broncos jumped for Fast Eddie.

-----

its not the kr guy it is the punter pinning them back.. How many of those punts were even returned..

If the Defense stops the other offense before they get into DEN territory then we have a chance of getting the ball out farther.. Right now the other punters are hitting the moon with a hang time in the mid tens ;) . our guys seldom have a chance to run with it.. they are receiving the ball with 8 guys standing around waiting for it to come down..

Plus we are going to have to get some down field blocking for them. I do not think royale will be all that special..

omac
05-04-2008, 12:23 AM

-----

It's definitely a contributing factor to why we have a lot of yardage, yet not a lot of points. If he can consistently get us yardage close to the 30s or more, than he's definitely worth it.

omac
05-04-2008, 12:28 AM
its not the kr guy it is the punter pinning them back.. How many of those punts were even returned..

If the Defense stops the other offense before they get into DEN territory then we have a chance of getting the ball out farther.. Right now the other punters are hitting the moon with a hang time in the mid tens ;) . our guys seldom have a chance to run with it.. they are receiving the ball with 8 guys standing around waiting for it to come down..

Plus we are going to have to get some down field blocking for them. I do not think royale will be all that special..

So do you think it's because of the players or the scheme?

Simple Jaded
05-04-2008, 12:29 AM
I look at Clady, Barrett and Hillis as potential starters, I do not expect Royal to ever be a starter, it sounds like he's a future slot receiver and that's not a starter.

Maybe Lichtenstieger, maybe. But then again, he could be on his second team in a few years, just like Eslinger. Or out of the league, just like Josh Sewell.

Torain may start briefly, but as soon as he runs for 1000 yards Shanahan will trade him and move on to the next. But hopefully the Broncos wise up and draft a franchise type runner, enough of the revolving door of average backs.

If Williams, Powell and Larson ever start it means the Broncos don't have anything better and that they're in big trouble......

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 12:34 AM

If the blocking can be consistent he should be just fine.

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 12:36 AM
So do you think it's because of the players or the scheme?

It is not just the KR person cause last year we had Hixon and he did Squat..

We all know what a change of scenery did for him..

I noticed quite a few times last year when we did actually stop someone either just on our side of the field, or they stopped themselves on their side the punters either had the leg to sky it or place it and more time than not they had someone down field next to the KR when the ball got there, we had alot of fair catches..

I also did not see alot of great blocking in the past also.. Is that the players or scheme I do not know but what ever it is I do not think there was a significant change with the supposed ST GURU we brought in last year..

omac
05-04-2008, 12:45 AM
It is not just the KR person cause last year we had Hixon and he did Squat..

We all know what a change of scenery did for him..

I noticed quite a few times last year when we did actually stop someone either just on our side of the field, or they stopped themselves on their side the punters either had the leg to sky it or place it and more time than not they had someone down field next to the KR when the ball got there, we had alot of fair catches..

I also did not see alot of great blocking in the past also.. Is that the players or scheme I do not know but what ever it is I do not think there was a significant change with the supposed ST GURU we brought in last year..

Yeah, I didn't see that big an impact with the new ST coach. The TD run by Martinez was promising, but the way they let the Bears get back in the game ... grrrr.

Ziggy
05-04-2008, 12:59 AM
I look at Clady, Barrett and Hillis as potential starters, I do not expect Royal to ever be a starter, it sounds like he's a future slot receiver and that's not a starter.

Maybe Lichtenstieger, maybe. But then again, he could be on his second team in a few years, just like Eslinger. Or out of the league, just like Josh Sewell.

Torain may start briefly, but as soon as he runs for 1000 yards Shanahan will trade him and move on to the next. But hopefully the Broncos wise up and draft a franchise type runner, enough of the revolving door of average backs.

If Williams, Powell and Larson ever start it means the Broncos don't have anything better and that they're in big trouble......

I think Powell may be the surprise of the entire group. The kid just plain shuts down the run. I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting big minutes this year on 1st and 2nd downs, along with short yardage and red zone situations.

JoeF
05-04-2008, 02:00 AM
I think Powell may be the surprise of the entire group. The kid just plain shuts down the run. I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting big minutes this year on 1st and 2nd downs, along with short yardage and red zone situations.

That would be something if he got in the rotation and was a short-yardage or 1st/2nd down stuffer. I wonder if that would factor into the playing minutes of Robertson and therefore see the Jets getting a later draft-pick in '09 off us.

Simple Jaded
05-04-2008, 02:00 AM
That'd be nice, but I was talking about starters.

I was kinda hoping the Broncos would get serious about improving the DT position in next years draft, if Powell is a starter in two years it means they didn't......

Ziggy
05-04-2008, 09:51 AM
That would be something if he got in the rotation and was a short-yardage or 1st/2nd down stuffer. I wonder if that would factor into the playing minutes of Robertson and therefore see the Jets getting a later draft-pick in '09 off us.

The trade states that if Robertson doesn't play 65% of the down this season, that we don't give up a draft pick at all. Unless the Dline is hit by injuries the way our O-line was last year, I don't see it happening. Denver rotates those Dtackles in and out too frequently for any of them to get in on 65% of the plays.

JoeF
05-04-2008, 01:56 PM
The trade states that if Robertson doesn't play 65% of the down this season, that we don't give up a draft pick at all. Unless the Dline is hit by injuries the way our O-line was last year, I don't see it happening. Denver rotates those Dtackles in and out too frequently for any of them to get in on 65% of the plays.

Didnt realize it is a 65% threshold.
So, Robertson could well be a freebie from the jets?

Tned
05-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Didnt realize it is a 65% threshold.
So, Robertson could well be a freebie from the jets?

Sure looks that way. You would think that NYJ would know how much the Broncos rotate linemen. Although, on the other hand if he is healthy and playing up to the level he has in the past, then the Broncos might not rotate him as much.

Anyone know what percentage of downs Pryce used to play?

LordTrychon
05-04-2008, 03:01 PM
What would be really nice is if Shanny hoodwinked them into agreeing to 65% of the plays, and not just 65% of the Defensive plays! :cool: :ninja:

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Sure looks that way. You would think that NYJ would know how much the Broncos rotate linemen. Although, on the other hand if he is healthy and playing up to the level he has in the past, then the Broncos might not rotate him as much.

I think it was something like about 35% of the snap. But of course that was while Coyer was here and he was rotating defensive line at higher rate than anyone else in the League.

Tned
05-04-2008, 03:30 PM
I think it was something like about 35% of the snap. But of course that was while Coyer was here and he was rotating defensive line at higher rate than anyone else in the League.

I thought pryce used to play more and not get rotated as much as the rest (except when he had the back problem). He used to sometimes slide inside or out, depending on the down and who else was rotated in.

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
I thought pryce used to play more and not get rotated as much as the rest (except when he had the back problem). He used to sometimes slide inside or out, depending on the down and who else was rotated in.

True he did get, that just seems to what I remember. Four years ago when Pryce and Coyer were still here Rasizer wrote an article about that included blurb about the heavy line rotation. I think Rasizer said in the article that no one was getting less than about 35% of the snaps and no more than about 60%. And from what I remember Pryce and Warren seemed to be on the field more than any of the other linemen, so I would say you're probably right.

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I didn't see that big an impact with the new ST coach. The TD run by Martinez was promising, but the way they let the Bears get back in the game ... grrrr.

That decision was made by someone higher on the totem pole than Sauerbrun, I suspect mikey or ST coach made the call after we had contained him earlier in the game..

Whoever made the call hurt the team..

Hopefully a full year under the NEW ST coach will make a difference..

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 04:44 PM

I think because of the altitude that IF we have the bodies we will still rotate them alot to keep them fresh.. Although running on and off the field may defeat the purpose of the rotating them.. Especially inside the red zone..

I think price played most downs.. Unless he needed a blow..

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 04:48 PM

The kick off no one be blamed for that because it's incredibly hard directionally kick a football from a tee.

The punts on the other hand Todd should have known better. Looking back at the game in the first half Sauerbrun was kicking away from Hester but that changed in the second half. It's doubtful any of the coaches would tell him to kick it to Hester.

BroncoAV06
05-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Well depending on what Hills does to earn playing time in camps and such I think he could make an impact. One of the things I have heard most about Hills is his hands. Remember when Kyle Johnson had that nice little streatch of catching balls out of the back field and in the red zone a few times? I think Hills could be a sneaky option on the play action in the flats and maybe even find the end zone if he sneaks out on a boot leg..

Davii
05-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I don't know about Pryce, but last year only on lineman played more than 65%. I think it was dumervil, might have been Moss though who played 67% of our defensive plays.