PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas Write Up

WARHORSE
04-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Very, very seldom do you see 9s awarded in different categories. He got two.

Demaryius Thomas
WR, Georgia Tech

Obviously receiver is a huge need after the trade of Brandon Marshall, and we believe Thomas would have been warranted at their original spot at No. 11. He compares favorably to Andre Johnson, with his outstanding combination of size, athleticism, and aggressiveness after the catch.

PRE-DRAFT ANALYSIS

Hands: Lacks elite hands, which could cause him to struggle a bit. Adjusts well to make tough catches on both low and high passes. Tends to trap passes against his body or double-catch easy passes, which leads to drops. Uses body well to shield defenders and make tough catches. Gets up high to win jump-ball battles over cornerbacks, which makes him a real red-zone threat. Caught 87 percent of the passes he had a realistic chance of catching in the games we evaluated. Grade: 7.0

Patterns: Flashes ability to run sharp and precise routes downfield, but many of his routes in Georgia Tech's triple-option offense were near the line of scrimmage. Shows the athleticism to get in and out of cuts quickly on "out" routes; shows a burst toward the sideline to separate. Shows deceptive speed on deep routes; long stride makes him look like he is not going fast. Separates from defender and often has to slow down to wait for underthrown passes. Grade: 7.0

Run after catch: Is a big-play threat on every touch. Shows excellent quickness turning downfield after the catch; accelerates to full speed in a flash and has the speed to take plays the distance. Can outrun defenders who have angles on him. Uses stiff-arm well on first defender, and runs through would-be tacklers to make big play. Grade: 9.0

Release: Does not explode off the snap, but accelerates and quickly closes cushion on defender. Lacks experience beating jams, but has good stiff-arm that makes us confident he can handle physical NFL cornerbacks. Grade: 5.5

Blocking: Is an excellent blocker who uses his size, strength and competitiveness to eliminate man. Gets after defender quickly. If ballcarrier gets by him, shows real competitiveness hustling downfield to block additional defenders. Is highly competitive coming down the line to make crack-back blocks on linebackers to set the corner for the running back. Will become one of NFL's best blocking receivers. Grade: 9.0

Bottom line: Thomas, a junior, is a big receiver with outstanding athleticism who shows the ability to make big plays -- it is amazing that a receiver playing in an option offense has been able to average over 24 yards per catch. However, he must improve his fundamentals -- especially route-running, catching and recognizing coverages -- after playing in a rudimentary passing attack in college. His broken foot is almost healed, and he eventually will become an elite NFL receiver. He reminds us Calvin Johnson with worse hands but better explosiveness and speed.

Vinnie Iyer analysis
It was inevitable that Denver would land a big, physical, top-end athlete to replace Brandon Marshall. Thomas has the all-around skills to be a star receiver, and unlike the way Marshall behaved up until the point he was traded, Thomas comes to the team with great intangibles.

Correspondent Analysis
How he fits: The Broncos had a desperate need at wide receiver after the Brandon Marshall trade, and in Thomas Denver may have landed a speedier version with similar size. Thomas was a bit of a medical risk after suffering a broken foot before the Combine. But he ran a 4.38 previously, and his 25.1-yard average per catch on 46 receptions as a senior was hard to ignore.

When he'll play: Denver has solid possession receivers in Jabar Gaffney and Brandon Stokley and a shifty route-runner in Eddie Royal. What the team lacked -- even with Marshall -- was a game-breaker who could stretch the field. So Thomas could make an immediate impact in that regard. Quarterback Kyle Orton has fought a perception that he doesn't have a big arm. His ability to throw deep will be tested with Thomas' speed.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-28-2010, 01:01 PM
as if you couldn't tell by my avi... I'm really happy we drafted Bay Bay.

Ziggy
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
It will be interesting to see how quickly he develops. After spending a 1st rounder on him when guys like Williams, Odrick, and Bulaga were on the board, I hope he's worth the 22nd pick in the long run.

WARHORSE
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
It will be interesting to see how quickly he develops. After spending a 1st rounder on him when guys like Williams, Odrick, and Bulaga were on the board, I hope he's worth the 22nd pick in the long run.

He had a higher grade than all those players on most peoples boards.

Bulaga we were never interested in taking imo.

One thing he brings right away, that is the ability to stretch the field, go up and get the ball.

We havent had that here in YEARS.

weazel
04-28-2010, 01:36 PM
I have to say one thing about him, when my Hurricanes slaughtered Georgia Tech this season, Thomas was the only Yellow Jacket that did anything in that game.

He was the only receiver that gained any yards on the entire Yellow Jacket team. I think he had 150 yards, and the QB didn't have any other completions other than the ones to Thomas.

topscribe
04-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Orton seems to have the deep threat he needs now. And it may well open up
the deep capabilities of Gaffney and Royal, too, who have proven they can
play deep under the right circumstances, at least as complements.

-----

turftoad
04-28-2010, 01:53 PM

-----

Only if Orton could throw a deep ball. :shocked:

topscribe
04-28-2010, 02:15 PM

I don't know where you or anyone else got the idea he can't. Especially when
he proved it twice in the last game of this last season, not to mention several
other times, such as the NE game, the first SD game, and the Washington game.
And not to mention 2008. I have provided videos of all of them right on this
board.

Especially when he came into the league in the first place with the reputation
as a strong-armed QB.

This jacket that has been placed on him is one of the biggest lies ever posted on
these boards.

-----

underrated29
04-28-2010, 02:22 PM
I like what was said but not the comparisons to players...

Calvin johnson- they said worse hands but better speed. WRONG! Thomas is fast but not as fast as megatron!

Andre Johnson- Has the size/speed part, but Dez Bryant plays more like AJ then DT does. I do not like that comparison as much. DT I believe is bigger than AJ in terms of size...

I compared DT- as a marshall clone balls to bones back in January and obviously we have already heard that. But if we want another WR to compare too then i think it would be TO in his prime.

BroncoWave
04-28-2010, 02:31 PM

-----

If Orton were actually going to be our QB this year you'd be right! :D

TXBRONC
04-28-2010, 03:02 PM
as if you couldn't tell by my avi... I'm really happy we drafted Bay Bay.

I would have never guessed. ;) :D

turftoad
04-28-2010, 03:27 PM
board.

as a strong-armed QB.

This jacket that has been placed on him is one of the biggest lies ever posted on
these boards.

-----

This post was so awesome you had to high five it yourself Top?? :D :D :D

Northman
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Now see, why did you have to get Top all riled up now. :lol:

turftoad
04-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Now see, why did you have to get Top all riled up now. :lol:

It's not Tops fault that Orton has a wet noodle for an arm. :shocked:

:D

claymore
04-28-2010, 03:32 PM

-----

Sweet Jeebus you love Orton.

weazel
04-28-2010, 03:34 PM

I had to high five the awesomeness, as well

Ziggy
04-28-2010, 03:36 PM

I don't know what you do for a living Turf, but I'm guessing that you do a lot of fishing in your spare time. ;)

TXBRONC
04-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Throwing it straight down the field I'm sure he can get it 60 to 65 yards but he's not very accurate.

turftoad
04-28-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't know what you do for a living Turf, but I'm guessing that you do a lot of fishing in your spare time. ;)

Walleyes, whenever I get a chance. :beer:

weazel
04-28-2010, 03:42 PM

mmmm... walleye. My favorite.

Ziggy
04-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Walleyes and Top's.

turftoad
04-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Walleyes and Top's.

:tsk: Like I said, Top has nothing to do with Ortons wet noodle arm.

Anyway, I do hope Thomas is a Marshall clone.

topscribe
04-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Might as well. At least I'm saluting an honest post . . .

-----

Ziggy
04-28-2010, 04:06 PM

I hope he is too. I was just commenting on the fact that it took only 7 posts into this thread for you to take a stab at Orton. Everyone knew what was coming next. Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel.

turftoad
04-28-2010, 04:08 PM
I hope he is too. I was just commenting on the fact that it took only 7 posts into this thread for you to take a stab at Orton. Everyone knew what was coming next. Kinda like shooting fish in a barrel.

You mean you can tell that I think he sucks?? :confused:

TXBRONC
04-28-2010, 04:09 PM

Same here. :beer:

topscribe
04-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Sweet Jeebus you love Orton.

Get off the floor and stop bowing before me. I'm not Him. I'm only topscribe.

And no, I don't love Orton. I just hate it when people are not telling the truth
about a person. And, as one who originally had a negative impression of Orton, I
can allow my mind to be changed by the evidence. I guess I can put myself into
another person's place: I would hate for people to be saying untrue things about
me, too.

But I'm not "all riled up." Just correcting the record . . .

-----

broncobryce
04-28-2010, 05:25 PM

Calvin johnson- they said worse hands but better speed. WRONG! Thomas is fast but not as fast as megatron!

Andre Johnson- Has the size/speed part, but Dez Bryant plays more like AJ then DT does. I do not like that comparison as much. DT I believe is bigger than AJ in terms of size...

I compared DT- as a marshall clone balls to bones back in January and obviously we have already heard that. But if we want another WR to compare too then i think it would be TO in his prime.

The clips I saw reminded me of Javon Walker.....when he was good.

dogfish
04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
board.

as a strong-armed QB.

these boards.

-----

that's it. . . i'm officially asking T to change your name to "mother bear". . . .

:heh:

Nomad
04-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Where do you head to Devil's Lake?

turftoad
04-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Where do you head to Devil's Lake?

Sometimes, but mostly Lake of the Woods. The Walleye Capital of the World. :beer:
It's absolutly the most fun.

WARHORSE
04-29-2010, 10:37 PM

-----

Lets hope Orton doesnt look at thomas as a security blanket though.

I hope the ball gets spread around.

WARHORSE
04-29-2010, 10:39 PM
board.

as a strong-armed QB.

these boards.

-----

Save it top. Lets just hope Josh lets him go downtown more this year.

WARHORSE
04-29-2010, 10:40 PM

Dez is slower than DT. Dez wont be able to be as productive on the pro level imo.