PDA

View Full Version : Pete Carroll talks Clausen, Tebow, Decker

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Pete Carroll talks Clausen, Tebow, Decker
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2010 9:15 AM ET
Now that I'm back in front of the radiation-blasting double-monitor PFT hookup, I'm scanning back through recent e-mails in search of stuff about which you may be interested.

And, somehow, I found one that hasn't already been covered by Rosenthal and/or MDS.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll recently spoke with Chris Russo of Sirius Mad Dog Radio. The noteworthy portions of the discussion focused more on players not on Carroll's new team than those whom he acquired over the recently-completed draft weekend.

Asked whether the Seahawks may have taken quarterback Jimmy Clausen if he'd still been on the board when Seattle used the 60th overall pick, Carroll said, "Sure, that's real possible. Yeah, we liked him that much. We thought he was a good player and that he was going to be solid as a rock and it wasn't going to be a big transition for him and all that kind of stuff."

Carroll also gushed about a first-round quarterback on whom the Seahawks passed, not once but twice. "I think anybody that got Tim Tebow had a good draft because I think he's going to surprise everybody," Carroll said. "And I think he's going to be a fantastic addition to a team.
There's another guy that we would have really liked to have been able to add for the future because of what he brings. He will not let these issues about throwing motions and things be in the way. He will will his way through that if he's anything at all like I know."
The Seahawks coach likewise heaped praise on former Minnesota Golden Gophers receiver Eric Decker. "Very, very good receiver," Carroll said, "and we have a guy [previously] on that [Minnesota] staff, Jedd Fisch, who coached him and we knew all about him and really were hoping to get a chance to get him, too."

Carroll possibly is using Jon Gruden's patent-pending positivity approach, aimed at giving no one a reason to be upset with Seattle's first-year coach. It's also possible that Carroll genuinely covets each guy he mentioned, and that he wants each of them to know that, at some point in the future, Seattle could be an option.

Regardless of Carroll's motivation, the possibility of planting a seed in a player's mind regarding future possibilities requires Carroll to quit talking about players who are the property of other franchises. Though it's not a blatant example of tampering, it's the kind of talk that could (and perhaps should) anger the Panthers and/or Broncos.

If, for example, Clausen doesn't play as a rookie and Matt Moore cements his hold on the starting job in Carolina, Carroll's comments could make Clausen even less content in Charlotte, possibly prompting him to push for a trade to Seattle. Ditto for Decker, who now knows that Fisch and Carroll think highly of him in the event that the Broncos don't give him the kind of reps and receptions that Decker thinks he deserves.

Our guess is that Carroll won't receive a public knuckle-rapping for his comments, but we suspect that someone from the league office will be reminding him in clear terms that he needs to stop talking about how much he would have liked to have on his team players who are now legally bound to other NFL franchises.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/28/pete-carroll-talks-clausen-tebow-decker/

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-28-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice. I just hope the team as a whole isn't terribly average this year when they take the field. Since guys like Tebow, Thomas, Decker, and Moreno are just prospects at this point, same goes for our new OL depth. If this class works out like I think they will this will be the team to beat in four years, I just hope we can make something happen now as well.

underrated29
04-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Nice. I just hope the team as a whole isn't terribly average this year when they take the field. Since guys like Tebow, Thomas, Decker, and Moreno are just prospects at this point, same goes for our new OL depth. If this class works out like I think they will this will be the team to beat in four years, I just hope we can make something happen now as well.

Moreno is not a prospect.

arapaho2
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
so a coach of a team in need of a qb passes on tebow...twice, and im supposed to gush all over his analogy that he will be a great qb in the nfl:coffee:

weazel
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Pete Carroll talks Clausen, Tebow, Decker
Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2010 9:15 AM ET
Now that I'm back in front of the radiation-blasting double-monitor PFT hookup, I'm scanning back through recent e-mails in search of stuff about which you may be interested.

And, somehow, I found one that hasn't already been covered by Rosenthal and/or MDS.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll recently spoke with Chris Russo of Sirius Mad Dog Radio. The noteworthy portions of the discussion focused more on players not on Carroll's new team than those whom he acquired over the recently-completed draft weekend.

Asked whether the Seahawks may have taken quarterback Jimmy Clausen if he'd still been on the board when Seattle used the 60th overall pick, Carroll said, "Sure, that's real possible. Yeah, we liked him that much. We thought he was a good player and that he was going to be solid as a rock and it wasn't going to be a big transition for him and all that kind of stuff."

Carroll also gushed about a first-round quarterback on whom the Seahawks passed, not once but twice. "I think anybody that got Tim Tebow had a good draft because I think he's going to surprise everybody," Carroll said. "And I think he's going to be a fantastic addition to a team.
There's another guy that we would have really liked to have been able to add for the future because of what he brings. He will not let these issues about throwing motions and things be in the way. He will will his way through that if he's anything at all like I know."
The Seahawks coach likewise heaped praise on former Minnesota Golden Gophers receiver Eric Decker. "Very, very good receiver," Carroll said, "and we have a guy [previously] on that [Minnesota] staff, Jedd Fisch, who coached him and we knew all about him and really were hoping to get a chance to get him, too."

Carroll possibly is using Jon Gruden's patent-pending positivity approach, aimed at giving no one a reason to be upset with Seattle's first-year coach. It's also possible that Carroll genuinely covets each guy he mentioned, and that he wants each of them to know that, at some point in the future, Seattle could be an option.

Regardless of Carroll's motivation, the possibility of planting a seed in a player's mind regarding future possibilities requires Carroll to quit talking about players who are the property of other franchises. Though it's not a blatant example of tampering, it's the kind of talk that could (and perhaps should) anger the Panthers and/or Broncos.

If, for example, Clausen doesn't play as a rookie and Matt Moore cements his hold on the starting job in Carolina, Carroll's comments could make Clausen even less content in Charlotte, possibly prompting him to push for a trade to Seattle. Ditto for Decker, who now knows that Fisch and Carroll think highly of him in the event that the Broncos don't give him the kind of reps and receptions that Decker thinks he deserves.

Our guess is that Carroll won't receive a public knuckle-rapping for his comments, but we suspect that someone from the league office will be reminding him in clear terms that he needs to stop talking about how much he would have liked to have on his team players who are now legally bound to other NFL franchises.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/28/pete-carroll-talks-clausen-tebow-decker/

I see it the opposite way as this guy. I see the players looking at Seattle as a team that passed them up... more than once.

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2010, 10:40 AM
so a coach of a team in need of a qb passes on tebow...twice, and im supposed to gush all over his analogy that he will be a great qb in the nfl:coffee:

Possibly. Or the trade for Whitehurst and the desperate needs elsewhere on that team may have kept him from being able to draft Tebow.
Me personally, it may have been those reasons, but i think the real reason he didnt really go after a QB in the draft, and got Whitehurst was because next year SEA will do whatever it takes to get the QB who is currently playing for Steve Sarkisian, a Carroll coach and hometown boy in Jake Locker.
Also known out here as "Tim Tebow West"

Lonestar
04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
After almost a decade of having to deal with a SBOTY (scum bag of the year) DOTY (diva) and or COTY (clown), it seems refreshing that the odds of getting one diminshed dramatically when Josh came on board.

That is not to say one will not surface out of the blue, because throwing HUGE money at someone that has never had it CAN bring the devil to anyones doorstep.

But when you purposely bring in just because that are uber talented then you are just asking for issuses.

In the past we knew up front about all of these ass clowns, carter, gardener, marshall, clarette just being the most glaring almost all of them causing major DEAD cap space issues.

Now maybe these kids will become corrupted by fame or fortune, but it is not a guaranteed problem your getting.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Ziggy
04-28-2010, 10:48 AM

I don't think anyone expects you to gush about anything other than a Bronco hate article. Seattle passed on Tebow twice with an early and mid first round pick. It doesn't mean that they didn't want him. Denver passed on him with the 11th pick in the draft. They still wanted him, and obviously think he will be a franchise qb in the nfl.

BroncoWave
04-28-2010, 10:55 AM
I don't think anyone expects you to gush about anything other than a Bronco hate article. Seattle passed on Tebow twice with an early and mid first round pick. It doesn't mean that they didn't want him. Denver passed on him with the 11th pick in the draft. They still wanted him, and obviously think he will be a franchise qb in the nfl.

And we also passed on him at 13 and 22. I guess we didn't really want him either! :lol:

weazel
04-28-2010, 11:08 AM

feel the hate, live the hate!

Your hate-on is showing again.

slim
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM

He passed on A LOT of players twice.

I suppose none of them will make it in the NFL either.

arapaho2
04-28-2010, 06:03 PM
gee some people get butt hurt easy:laugh:

again..seattle needs a franchise qb...they passed on tebow...twice...they coulda traded down easily...twice...so forgive me if im not all gaga over his belief

if tebow works out for my team...great, im behind him 100%

dogfish
04-28-2010, 06:30 PM
and there you have it, folks. . . rap is NOT going to gush over tebow!

you can all exhale now. . .