PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to be a homer?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-28-2010, 02:52 AM
I detested the tebow pick, and never thought he'd be an NFL Quarterback even when he was dominating college football, I was appalled when we picked him, but jumped right on the bandwagon anyway. It's been the same with cutler, marshall, and a few other things I disagreed with until it questioned my support of the organization. There's been an obvious pattern of me having to rotate my view a complete 180 because of front office decisions.

It it bad to just blindly support the organization?

Edit: I even changed my avatar which was the same avatar I registered here with. :shocked:

WARHORSE
04-28-2010, 02:59 AM
Bad to be a homer? No.

Bad to be a DUMB homer? Yes, that would be bad.:coffee:

GGMoogly
04-28-2010, 03:34 AM
I detested the tebow pick, and never thought he'd be an NFL Quarterback even when he was dominating college football, I was appalled when we picked him, but jumped right on the bandwagon anyway. It's been the same with cutler, marshall, and a few other things I disagreed with until it questioned my support of the organization. There's been an obvious pattern of me having to rotate my view a complete 180 because of front office decisions.

Edit: I even changed my avatar which was the same avatar I registered here with. :shocked:

The Power of Tebow compels you! The Power of Tebow compels you! The Power of Tebow compels you!:worship:

GGMoogly
04-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Bad to be a homer? No.

Bad to be a DUMB homer? Yes, that would be bad.:coffee:

Ahhh...but without dumb homers, who would get drunk, paint their half-naked bodies orange and blue, and stand outside for hours in freezing weather? Hmmm?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-28-2010, 04:30 AM
Ahhh...but without dumb homers, who would get drunk, paint their half-naked bodies orange and blue, and stand outside for hours in freezing weather? Hmmm?

:lol:

WARHORSE
04-28-2010, 04:32 AM

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

I refute that!!!

I am not dumb!

:beer:

LTC Pain
04-28-2010, 07:08 AM
ahhh...but without dumb homers, who would get drunk, paint their half-naked bodies orange and blue, and stand outside for hours in freezing weather? Hmmm?

tmi!!!

Dirk
04-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I don't think so.

You can dislike decisions and directions and still be a homer.

I'd rather be a homer than a fan that jumps from one SB winner to the next. Those are not true fans.

Broncolingus
04-28-2010, 09:17 AM

It is not bad...remember these two simple 'rules' during those confusing times in your life:

Support Denver Broncos = 100% always correct (i.e...win)

Support Any Other NFL Team Except the Denver Broncos = 100% always incorrect (i.e...fail)*

(* unless supporting another team benefits the Broncos, then it is okay)

GGMoogly
04-28-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't think so.

You can dislike decisions and directions and still be a homer.

I'd rather be a homer than a fan that jumps from one SB winner to the next. Those are not true fans.

YEAH! Boooo on those guys. Grrrrr. Hisssss. Just let 'em try and get close to my sister, or any God-fearin' woman! :boxing:

weazel
04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
my avatar say's it's great to be a homer!

slim
04-28-2010, 11:20 AM
my avatar say's it's great to be a homer!

Mike
04-28-2010, 11:25 AM
All I got to say is support your frickin team. I don't mind skeptics and realists. But people who are negative about every thing drive me nuts. If your team makes you so miserable, why support them?

Nomad
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
All I got to say is support your frickin team. I don't mind skeptics and realists. But people who are negative about every thing drive me nuts. If your team makes you so miserable, why support them?

Well said Mike!!

Denver Native (Carol)
04-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Exactly :salute: There are 31 other teams out there to pick from

weazel
04-28-2010, 11:52 AM

you forgot to place a pic of arapaho in your post

Lancane
04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
It's great to be a die-hard fan no matter what side of the spectrum you fall on...but, no, it's not good to be a homer in my honest opinion. A homer is someone that buys into everything said by a franchise or done by that same said team even when many in and around the sport know that the situation was wrong or no good for that organization. I have nothing against homers, but they love the team more then the sport, whereas those who question their favorite team show intelligence as fans of the sport and not just their favorite team.

Homerism: It's like living in near the Ozark mountains and saying that incest is alright just because people nearby do it!

:lol:

silkamilkamonico
04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Everyone is a homer to a degree of their respective team. It's all part of the fan code.

shank
04-28-2010, 12:42 PM
tebow 19-0

SR
04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
There's a difference between being a homer and supporting your team through it all.

KCL
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
You mean a homer like OR?

T.K.O.
04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
You mean a homer like OR?

he said "hom......ER";)

Tempus Fugit
04-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Blindly following and supporting anyone, or anything, is a bad thing, IMO.

pnbronco
04-28-2010, 01:06 PM
There's a difference between being a homer and supporting your team through it all.

Great post SR. Supporting your team through it's up and downs is how I see myself as a fan. I don't have to agree with all it's decisions, heck there is no one out there that I do that with.

However if the Broncos had someone on the team that I had a major moral conflict with, I would probably not buy tickets to the game, jerseys and be my normal "Supporting Sunshine" self.

slim
04-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Exactly :salute: There are 31 other teams out there to pick from

Actually, there are only 29. St. Louis and Detriot don't count.

TXBRONC
04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
You are like a lot fans were very leery of picking Tebow. I didn't want Denver to pick him but now that he's a Bronco so I want him to succeed.

sneakers
04-29-2010, 01:24 AM
There are plenty of things in life to be negative about.....why not just pick one thing (like the Broncos) and be overly optomistic about?

JDL
04-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Yes, it means you can't think for yourself. Doesn't mean when you disagree you throw a temper-tantrum, but rather you are entitled to think for yourself and you choose to do so. You will be wrong and the people paid to do this will be right, quite often. But they are not infallible perfect people and to treat them as such is total nonsense. You do not need to be capable of doing someone's job to be able to see whether or not they are good at it. That goes for players, coaches, politicians, etc. We can all see the end results clearly and formulate our own opinions on how we got to that point, but when the team fails there is always someone whose JOB it is was to prevent that failure. Regardless of how well-intentioned, dedicated, motivated, no matter how much they truly believe they know what is best, if in the end it results in failure, then they have failed at their job and must be held accountable.

This is the job of the fan, to hold coaches and teams accountable. Teams treat us the fans like $ signs, we are customers to them not fans and it is time we acted like it and demanded to be provided a quality product. If you do not do that, then you have failed at your job and you deserve the consequences, teams like Detroit and Oakland, teams that are fundamentally flawed at the organizational level, flaws that are so apparent, even non-football fans can recognize the ineptitude, and to squawk on about supporting the team and being loyal is simply rubbish.

Maybe there was a time when teams connected with fans that way, but the very moment the fans in the South Stands were forced out of their seats, the Denver Broncos ceased to have fans, they began to have customers, at least fans who are customers first. So again I answer your question, should you blindly follow a team and I say, do so at your own peril and own lack and desire to hold this business accountable.

We have seen throughout history the results when men fail to hold their government, their society and their fellow citizens accountable, and while football is just a game, if you are truly passionate about the game, about the Denver Broncos, then you will own up to your responsibility like you are asked to in every part of your life and hold them accountable for their decisions and their actions. The Broncos have rolled the dice, they have made decisions that from the outside appear reckless, reckless to the success of the team and therefore to you the fan and customer.

If these decisions prove out to be (and make no mistake these men deserve the benefit of the doubt and for us to allow this to play out) but if these actions, these apparently reckless actions prove out to be disastrous, then there needs to be dire consequences for all decision-makers who played a part in it, consequences that only a corporation can understand from its paying customers.

So, no you should not follow blindly and you should not feel obligated to go running and screaming from the highest rocky mountain your displeasure, you must merely allow this to play out (3 years has proven sufficient in today's NFL), hold onto your displeasure, save it for another day and if it is required call upon it in the future to do what is necessary to hit the Denver Broncos - the company, Pat Bowlen - the owner, in the only place they seem to care, their bottom-line. If you cannot be accountable in this small way, then you are naive and just as much a part of the problem and I would say therefore, no true fan of the Denver Broncos.

GGMoogly
04-29-2010, 01:49 AM
WE'VE HIT THE TEBONANZA!!!! Let's dance and sing and laugh so hard we pee in our pants three times before the night is over!!!:dancing::dancing2:

WARHORSE
04-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Yes, it means you can't think for yourself. Doesn't mean when you disagree you throw a temper-tantrum, but rather you are entitled to think for yourself and you choose to do so. You will be wrong and the people paid to do this will be right, quite often. But they are not infallible perfect people and to treat them as such is total nonsense. You do not need to be capable of doing someone's job to be able to see whether or not they are good at it. That goes for players, coaches, politicians, etc. We can all see the end results clearly and formulate our own opinions on how we got to that point, but when the team fails there is always someone whose JOB it is was to prevent that failure. Regardless of how well-intentioned, dedicated, motivated, no matter how much they truly believe they know what is best, if in the end it results in failure, then they have failed at their job and must be held accountable.

This is the job of the fan, to hold coaches and teams accountable. Teams treat us the fans like $ signs, we are customers to them not fans and it is time we acted like it and demanded to be provided a quality product. If you do not do that, then you have failed at your job and you deserve the consequences, teams like Detroit and Oakland, teams that are fundamentally flawed at the organizational level, flaws that are so apparent, even non-football fans can recognize the ineptitude, and to squawk on about supporting the team and being loyal is simply rubbish.

Maybe there was a time when teams connected with fans that way, but the very moment the fans in the South Stands were forced out of their seats, the Denver Broncos ceased to have fans, they began to have customers, at least fans who are customers first. So again I answer your question, should you blindly follow a team and I say, do so at your own peril and own lack and desire to hold this business accountable.

We have seen throughout history the results when men fail to hold their government, their society and their fellow citizens accountable, and while football is just a game, if you are truly passionate about the game, about the Denver Broncos, then you will own up to your responsibility like you are asked to in every part of your life and hold them accountable for their decisions and their actions. The Broncos have rolled the dice, they have made decisions that from the outside appear reckless, reckless to the success of the team and therefore to you the fan and customer.

If these decisions prove out to be (and make no mistake these men deserve the benefit of the doubt and for us to allow this to play out) but if these actions, these apparently reckless actions prove out to be disastrous, then there needs to be dire consequences for all decision-makers who played a part in it, consequences that only a corporation can understand from its paying customers.

So, no you should not follow blindly and you should not feel obligated to go running and screaming from the highest rocky mountain your displeasure, you must merely allow this to play out (3 years has proven sufficient in today's NFL), hold onto your displeasure, save it for another day and if it is required call upon it in the future to do what is necessary to hit the Denver Broncos - the company, Pat Bowlen - the owner, in the only place they seem to care, their bottom-line. If you cannot be accountable in this small way, then you are naive and just as much a part of the problem and I would say therefore, no true fan of the Denver Broncos.

You lost me at Yes.

:D

GGMoogly
04-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Gather around me, brothers and sisters and listen, for I have a tale to tell. I, too, was like many of you, bewitched by the power of the Golden Arm Of Cutler. A thing of beauty, it was a glory to behold in all its youthful strength.

But then came the day when the evil dwarf, Mad McD, entered. In the blink of an eye and with treachery most fowl, the weapon within our grasp was gone. Garments were rendered asunder and gnarled teeth were gnashed. “Woe be onto us,” cried many as darkness descended in the form of Orton the adequate. :hurt: Though acknowledged as a mensch of the highest order, the neck-bearded one could simply not provide the “juice”, “the ball” that was coveted by the faithful and that had been cruelly yanked away by the rotten *******, er...I mean, evil dwarf.

And then, when things seemed their darkest and hope had all but vanished - when society was crumbling and grown men were collapsing in tears - a miracle!

:angel: Tebow! :angel:

The gods have smiled upon us!

I have seen the light, brothers and sisters, and now understand the bigger picture. The Golden Arm of Cutler was an illusion. It is the Pure Heart of Tebow that will lead us to the Promised Land. The power of Tebow is such that even the evil dwarf has been redeemed to a degree and is now the what-are-you-going-to-do-for-me-next dwarf.

Join me in tebattle, everyone, and repeat the transforming words, “I AM TEBOW!”

ALL GLORY SHALL BE OURS! FOR GOD, COUNTRY AND ST. TIM!!!:ridinghorse: