PDA

View Full Version : Tebow Sets Jersey Sales Record for NFL Draftee (MERGED)

AgentOrange
04-27-2010, 01:37 PM
http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/2010-04-27/tim-tebow-sets-jersey-sales-record-for-nfl-draftee-topping-jets-sanchez.html

Tim Tebow already has surpassed one of the records Mark Sanchez set as a rookie quarterback with the New York Jets last season.

A first-round pick of the Denver Broncos, Tebow sold more jerseys during the National Football League’s draft weekend than any other rookie or current player.

While the league doesn’t disclose sales totals, the former University of Florida quarterback logged the most jersey orders since 2006, the first year NFLShop.com joined with GSI Commerce Inc. to expand its online store. Tebow’s sales totals eclipsed the previous draft-weekend record of Sanchez, who in 2009 was the first quarterback taken by the Jets with a top-five pick since Joe Namath.

“It’s a pretty substantial difference between him and the next guy,” NFL spokeswoman Joanna Hunter said of Tebow’s jersey sales.

A distant second to Tebow in sales from April 22-25 was defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh of the Detroit Lions.

Quarterback Sam Bradford, who was the No. 1 overall pick of the St. Louis Rams, was third in rookie jersey sales, followed by Kansas City Chiefs safety Eric Berry and Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant.

Tebow was the second quarterback taken, going 25th to the Broncos after winning two national championships at Florida as well as the 2008 Heisman Trophy as college football’s best player. Teams passed on him until late in the first round because of needs at other positions or questions about his arm strength and unorthodox throwing motion.

Tebow on Doubters

Tebow said those who doubt he’ll be able to make the transition from college to the NFL add “fuel to the fire.”

“I love it when someone tells me that I can’t, because it just pushes me that much more to accomplish that goal,” Tebow told reporters. “I am excited about this challenge of playing in the NFL and trying to be an NFL quarterback.”

Sanchez led the Jets to the American Football Conference championship game as a rookie and finished 13th for the season in sales of his No. 6 jersey.

Tebow selected No. 15, the same number he wore at Florida. That number became available when receiver Brandon Marshall was traded by Denver two weeks ago. While NFL playing time has yet to be determined, Tebow already has his believers, having topped Sanchez as well as the initial jersey sales of popular 2006 rookies Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

“Tebow trumped all of them,” Hunter said in a telephone interview. “So he’s off to a strong start.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Erik Matuszewski in New York at matuszewski@bloomberg.net

jlarsiii
04-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I am too lazy to look it up, but I am hoping someone here can answer my questions. Does the NFL keep the entire proceeds from jersey sales? If not then what percentage of sales does a team actually get?

If the percentage kept by a team is small then it will most likely not effect the bottom line for most teams. . .

claymore
04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I am too lazy to look it up, but I am hoping someone here can answer my questions. Does the NFL keep the entire proceeds from jersey sales? If not then what percentage of sales does a team actually get?

If the percentage kept by a team is small then it will most likely not effect the bottom line for most teams. . .

Profit sharing. Its a pool I believe. Teams only keep 60% of home game ticket proceeds, 40% of away games, all home box seats and concessions.

All other merchandising etc is profit sharing.

I could be wrong though.

T.K.O.
04-27-2010, 01:59 PM
it's a great way to fix up all those leftover #15's,if you plan on buying a tebow jersey online i suggest looking very closely at a pic to make sure there are'nt any threads hanging off the end or outlines of a couple L's on the back;)

WARHORSE
04-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Look everyone.................TBone is already beating the competition.

dogfish
04-27-2010, 02:49 PM
just one of many records he'll break. . . .

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 03:14 PM
just one of many records he'll break. . . .

In an unrelated story, The Jacksonville Jaguars have just imploded.
Literally.

Ziggy
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Just another reason why the Jaguars are a flailing franchise. Had they drafted Tebow, he would have saved the franchise, or at least kept them from moving to another state in a year or 3. Instead, they take a 2nd round prospect with the 10th pick of the draft. I can't wait to see how may Broncos fans are in the stands in Jacksonville in week 1. It will be the only game of the year that the Jags sell out.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Just another reason why the Jaguars are a flailing franchise. Had they drafted Tebow, he would have saved the franchise, or at least kept them from moving to another state in a year or 3. Instead, they take a 2nd round prospect with the 10th pick of the draft. I can't wait to see how may Broncos fans are in the stands in Jacksonville in week 1. It will be the only game of the year that the Jags sell out.

I read an article on line this morning that said one theory was they bypassed on Tebow on purpose, to keep attendance low, so they could move to LA.

GGMoogly
04-27-2010, 03:37 PM
I am tebuzzing!!!!!!:willy::dancing2:

weazel
04-27-2010, 04:28 PM

nfl gets most
team gets some
player gets some -- I was told its like 15 dollars or so

of course there is GSI Commerce (they run the NFL shop and warehouse all NFL gear)
the factories that make the gear
and the retailers that sell the gear around the world.

now if you buy a knockoff, then you just pay the factory who sells them out the back door.

slim
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
nfl gets most
team gets some
player gets some -- I was told its like 15 dollars or so

of course there is GSI Commerce (they run the NFL shop and warehouse all NFL gear)
the factories that make the gear
and the retailers that sell the gear around the world.

now if you buy a knockoff, then you just pay the factory who sells them out the back door.

Did you mean sweatshops?

HORSEPOWER 56
04-27-2010, 05:00 PM

I'll be there! Just gotta get my hands on a Tebow Broncos Jersey to rub it in a little. If Tebow sees the field during that game (Wildhorse, gadget play, etc), the crowd will cheer him harder than they will the home team. That will totally suck for the Jags players. :beer:

weazel
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
Did you mean sweatshops?

potato, potato

kids gotta work, man!

Shazam!
04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
As bad as I want a TT jersey, after Cutler, Marshall, I cant bring myself to spend the money on a player who's future with the franchise is in doubt. I'll wait until his 10th Season or Denver's first Super Bowl win with him, whchever comes first.

UnderArmour
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
As bad as I want a TT jersey, after Cutler, Marshall, I cant bring myself to spend the money on a player who's future with the franchise is in doubt. I'll wait until his 10th Season or Denver's first Super Bowl win with him, whchever comes first.

McDaniels will trade Tebow away right after he wins his first Super Bowl. No player is untouchable!

slim
04-27-2010, 06:03 PM
McDaniels will trade Tebow away right after he wins his first Super Bowl. No player is untouchable!

No, Tebow will trade McD away.

arapaho2
04-27-2010, 06:03 PM
so the move was based on tebonics:elefant:

broncobryce
04-27-2010, 06:21 PM
McD needs to have his own jersey. Number 1 of course. Clay can sleep with it.

dogfish
04-27-2010, 06:56 PM
McD needs to have his own jersey. Number 1 of course. Clay can sleep with it.

WITH it?

did you mean IN it?

normally i would just assume that's what you meant, but you are talking about clay-- and if dude will screw a sock, a jersey could well be fair game. . . .

dogfish
04-27-2010, 06:57 PM
found posted on another site:

Tim Tebow loves God. Josh McDaniels thinks he IS God. Should be a good match.

:rofl:

TXBRONC
04-27-2010, 07:00 PM
found posted on another site:

Tim Tebow loves God. Josh McDaniels thinks he IS God. Should be a good match.

:rofl:

That is funny. :lol:

Lonestar
04-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I had heard that the NFL get only the portion that it would get from royalties (NFL logo) that rest goes to the Team with a portion to the player.

Since the team LOGOS are own by the team and not the NFL they money belongs to the team except for some of the sharing .

One of the reason that DAL WASand the NYG are the heavy weights when it come to value.

The things as I understand that are part of the pool are TV contracts, NFLN profits, deals they make with Nike, Coors, Coke etc.for being Officlal NFL products and of course the royally checks on the logos.

The money from Game tickets are mostly for the home team and shared with the visitors to help with expenses.

If anyone has any real data on this please share a link.

broncobryce
04-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Regardless, Pat is loving the pick, guaranteed! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

honz
04-27-2010, 10:02 PM
I bought 15 of them.

dogfish
04-27-2010, 10:12 PM
I bought 15 of them.

can i have one?

atwater27
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Popular Athlete plus Christianity equals crazy deliscious!

honz
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM
can i have one?

No, 1 is for me and the rest are for my 14 wives.

Ziggy
04-27-2010, 10:57 PM
No, 1 is for me and the rest are for my 14 wives.

Maybe he was talking about the wives, not the jersey. ;)

broncophan
05-06-2010, 05:53 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5165547

Sorry.......another Tebow thread.

MileHighCrew
05-06-2010, 08:14 AM
This is the reason I am still shocked Jacksonville didn't do everything in their power to get Tebow. The Broncos fan base jumped in numbers with that pick.

Lonestar
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Heard Cowherd again this am say he has the highest Jersey sales with 30% of them going to Florida addresses.

Guess that we will be getting even more fans from afar.

I would think that JAX really FUBARED in not selecting him he might have saved that franchise from folding or having to move.

arapaho2
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
now if we can just convert jersey sales into wins:beer: