PDA

View Full Version : tim tebow might start at qb in 2010 - peter king

titan
04-27-2010, 01:29 PM
Interesting column from Peter King today:

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0mKJ345FO

MMQB Mailbag: Two reasons Tebow might start for Broncos in 2010

I've thought all along that Tim Tebow would need a redshirt year, but two things now tell me I might be wrong.

First, Denver trading the 40th, 70th and 114th picks in a power draft to pick Tebow is a powerful statement. Check out the draft trade chart that every team uses and you'll see how much Denver wanted to make sure it wasn't leapfrogged in the Tebow derby. The 25th pick is worth 720 points on the chart every team in the league uses -- some more religiously than others. The 43rd pick is worth 470, the 70th worth 240, and the 114th worth 66. That totals 776. The Broncos paid 56 more points than were necessary by the chart -- equivalent to the 199th overall pick, a late fourth-rounder -- to get Tebow. Denver, obviously, wanted to make the deal badly enough to ratchet up the compensation.

Second, and most importantly, I remember something Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels said to me over the weekend when we discussed the Tebow pick. We weren't discussing playing time, or his role, or anything at the time other than why he was smitten with the guy more than many of his peers on other NFL teams.

"When I went to Gainesville Monday to work him out,'' McDaniels said, referring to his hush-hush trip to spend the day with Tebow, "we spent about seven hours together. We went over a lot of things. Now, understand that our offense is pretty complicated, and the terminology and the scheme is totally different from what he did at Florida. But about midway through my time there, we're going through plays, and he starts using our terminology. He's so smart about football that he was able to begin to speak my language and talk apples to apples. He'd already translated what he knew of our scheme into my words. That's something that carried a lot of weight with me.''

McDaniels also said: "The football traits he has is the stuff you die for.''

That tells me McDaniels will find something this year for Tebow to do. I don't know what it is. But last year, I don't think we saw everything McDaniels had to offer in terms of offensive play-calling. There's a lot inside him I think he's waiting to script and put in the hands of some offensive talent he mined and developed.

I think DeMaryius Thomas isn't the receiver Dez Bryant is, but he's a guy the Broncos will sleep better at night having, and he'll step in for Brandon Marshall. Can he be Marshall? I doubt he'll be the impact player, but he'll have the chance. The third-round pick, Minnesota wideout Eric Decker, is intriguing because of his size (6-foot-2, 214); he's the kind of guy who should be able to catch fades with good matchups on shorter corners.

McDaniels made it clear to me the best quarterback will start. He said Kyle Orton is the incumbent, and the starter, today. In camp, who knows? Maybe Brady Quinn lights it up, or maybe Tebow comes along faster than everybody thinks. But the fact Tebow already has a head-start on knowing the offense, and was peeved he had to leave Denver over the weekend to go back home (NFL rules don't permit rookie to be at their team's facilities, other than for a rookie mini-camp, until their class graduates in the spring) is a sign he might come along quicker in the mental part of the game than many draftees would.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels invented some sort of red zone or goal line package for Tebow. Could it be the kind of draw/jump-pass thing Tebow did with the Gators? Maybe. But something to get Tebow on the field a few snaps a game if he doesn't win the job, just to throw a changeup at the opposition. Now, this would be interesting for team chemistry, because whoever wins the starting job (I assume Orton) will have to swallow hard to be OK with getting yanked a couple of times a game for Tebow. But McDaniels is sure to preach the all-for-one, one-for-all team-think attitude in OTAs this spring and training camp this summer, and if the quarterbacks don't buy in, they'll move on.

McDaniels spoke over the weekend about the passion he feels for his job, and how Tebow's a match for that too.

"I love this game so much,'' McDaniels said. "I would die to have 53 guys here who love it as much as I do. I'm looking to find the right group of guys to accept our one singular goal -- to win. I think Tim fits in with that. There're going to be doubts about him. Great doubts -- and I understand that. Some people don't think he has the natural traits of a great quarterback. Here's what I think: Do Jim Furyk and Tiger Woods swing the club the same way, hit irons the same way? No. But they both win tournaments. There're different ways to throw, different mechanics, and you can still get the job done.''

McDaniels has cast his lot with Tebow. He'll sink or swim, over the next three years with him. But if he sinks, he'll be sinking with a kid he believes in. I hear it in McDaniels' voice: This is his guy. Let the training begin. It's going to be fun to watch.

Benetto
04-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Tim Bone has a lot to learn..If he learns it and can execute even half of the playbook, he's already better than Ort-Dog. So I don't doubt he might be the starter.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-27-2010, 01:35 PM
That is incredibly promising, I'm surprised Mcd actually opened up to anybody, glad it was peter king.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-27-2010, 01:37 PM
That article was packed with new info from start to finish, most sports related journalists have one meaningful sentence within a few paragraphs of filler - this was just excellent.

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 01:44 PM
"McDaniels has cast his lot with Tebow. He'll sink or swim, over the next three years with him. But if he sinks, he'll be sinking with a kid he believes in."

Little does King realize that Tebow once swam 266 miles from the Phillipines to Australia to preach a sermon on a Sunday morning then was back by Monday morning.
He could have flown there himself, but he just wanted to swim it.

claymore
04-27-2010, 01:45 PM
That tells me McDaniels will find something this year for Tebow to do. I don't know what it is. But last year, I don't think we saw everything McDaniels had to offer in terms of offensive play-calling. There's a lot inside him I think he's waiting to script and put in the hands of some offensive talent he mined and developed.
I want this to be true.

Northman
04-27-2010, 01:47 PM
"McDaniels has cast his lot with Tebow. He'll sink or swim, over the next three years with him. But if he sinks, he'll be sinking with a kid he believes in."

Little does King realize that Tebow once swam 266 miles from the Phillipines to Australia to preach a sermon on a Sunday morning then was back by Monday morning.
He could have flown there himself, but he just wanted to swim it.

And how bout that time he took on that Yeti? :lol:

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
And how bout that time he took on that Yeti? :lol:

Poor thing never stood a chance....
De-clawed and de-furred him in a Himalayan record time too!

jlarsiii
04-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe it will be similar to how Cutler was used in his rookie season in that he may be starting once the second half of the season rolls around. I could see Tebow used in specific packages to increase his confidence to start the season, and then once he really has a firm grasp on the playbook and the confidence to execute it he will most likely get the opportunity to start.

Of course, if our season goes down the tubes early that could change everything so he may get the chance sooner. He will be under a lot of pressure to succeed so hopefully he can bear that and not let it effect him. . .

T.K.O.
04-27-2010, 01:54 PM
i commented the other day about how after the draft was the first time i heard mcD say that the qb competition would be great at camp and the best guy would win the job.
even after he signed quinn he was saying orton was the man.....now he's singing a slightly different tune.
that means he thinks tebow will pick up enough of the playbook and improve his mechanics to the point where he will either "push" orton or flat out "push" him out of the way.;)
that's good news for the broncos no matter how you slice it !:elefant:
oh and don't forget the upgrades on :defense:
it could be a big year for the broncos

rocks
04-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I could see that happening. On the other hand most QB's who sit for a year or two have a much better success rate in the NFL. Even worse, most first year QB's are horrible so that won't look to good for McDaniels.

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
All kidding aside, Tebow will not allow himself to fail.
Couple that with MCDs ideology and coaching, and you
have a very dangerous monster.
Failure is not an option for Tebow. Period.
Theres absolutely nothing in his life, that he cant give
110% effort everyday, all day to the QB position in DEN.
He will make himself a success, and you will like it.
Failure is not an option for Tebow.

rationalfan
04-27-2010, 02:12 PM
friday morning i was lamenting the tebow pick. today, i'm kind of liking it.

whether i'm rationalizing the pick or not, i've been getting a good feeling about tebow's future. in many ways, this feels like the exclamation point at the end of mcd's speech about re-shaping the team into the image/philosophy/practicum he wants it to be.

also, don't forget this reader response in the same peter king article:
"INTERESTING POINT ABOUT TEBOW AND VINCE YOUNG. From Tony of Wilmington, Del.: "Mr. King, do you find it at all interesting that so many question the Tim Tebow pick when Vince Young was considered to be first-round worthy when he was picked? Both had some mechanics issues, and both relied a lot on their athleticism as opposed to being pure passing QB's. But Tim Tebow was a better college QB in almost every respect. Most notably Tebow was more of a winner and appears to have far better intangibles and leadership ability. Why are so many willing to dismiss Tebow, particularly when Tebow appears to be strong in the areas where Young has struggled, i.e. the mental part of the game?''
It's an interesting point. I think the biggest thing they have in common is bad classic NFL quarterback mechanics. Young is still working on that aspect, as well as his accuracy. Tebow has a long way to go with his mechanics, but he'll have a good teacher in Josh McDaniels."

TXBRONC
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Tim Bone has a lot to learn..If he learns it and can execute even half of the playbook, he's already better than Ort-Dog. So I don't doubt he might be the starter.

Tebow is more athletic than Orton by a ton imho but Orton has experience on his side so that gives him the edge.

BroncoSojia
04-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Him touching the field before 2012 IMO would be a huge mistake.

He's way behind on the learning curve for a NFL QB coming into the league, he won't be ready until then at the earliest.

People need to be patient.

Northman
04-27-2010, 02:26 PM

He's way behind on the learning curve for a NFL QB coming into the league, he won't be ready until then at the earliest.

Good luck. :lol:

claymore
04-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Tebow can throw 3 yard screens. Id place money on it.

Northman
04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Tebow can throw 3 yard screens. Id place money on it.

Well, shit. I can do that and it would cost the Broncos a lot less money.

claymore
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Well, shit. I can do that and it would cost the Broncos a lot less money.

I think you could get us that extra yard that escaped us all last year too! I dont know if they make a helmet big enough for you though., :scared:

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 02:54 PM

Tebow just mentally straightened the learning curve.

Northman
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I think you could get us that extra yard that escaped us all last year too! I dont know if they make a helmet big enough for you though., :scared:

Fine by me. Ill go old school. :coffee:

GGMoogly
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Tebow has already started. It's the rest of the Broncos that have to catch up!:D

Ravage!!!
04-27-2010, 03:46 PM

No way a coach that hitched his entire coaching career on the moves of 'franchise QBs' does he sit Tebow for that long. I wouldnt' want a QB drafted in the first round to be sat down, that long. McDaniels has everything riding on this pick (teamed up with the removal of some other players)..... do you REALLY think he's going to be riding the pine.. "learning" when every player has said that the only real way to learn, is on the field?

Tebow will not only be playing.. but will be starting at some point this season.

weazel
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
"When I went to Gainesville Monday to work him out,'' McDaniels said, referring to his hush-hush trip to spend the day with Tebow, "we spent about seven hours together. We went over a lot of things. Now, understand that our offense is pretty complicated, and the terminology and the scheme is totally different from what he did at Florida. But about midway through my time there, we're going through plays, and he starts using our terminology. He's so smart about football that he was able to begin to speak my language and talk apples to apples. He'd already translated what he knew of our scheme into my words. That's something that carried a lot of weight with me.''

that doesn't mean he's going to be able to come in and start! It means if he wanted to, he could be as good a QB as Josh McDaniels ever was... which wasn't NFL material.

So maybe Denver just drafted their future coach.

Elevation inc
04-27-2010, 03:55 PM
that doesn't mean he's going to be able to come in and start! It means if he wanted to, he could be as good a QB as Josh McDaniels ever was... which wasn't NFL material.

lol...you make no sense.....:lol:.....:beer:

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Thats OK, he has the best avatar ever! Followed closely by Slim.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-27-2010, 03:59 PM

Obviously, I got something way different from the following in the article than you did.

weazel
04-27-2010, 03:59 PM

I mean, being able to learn the language of a playbook doesn't give you the skills toread defenses and throw accurately. It just means you can learn a playbook, maybe he can take over coaching when Bowlen fires McDaniels.

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 04:03 PM
I mean, being able to learn the language of a playbook doesn't give you the skills toread defenses and throw accurately. It just means you can learn a playbook, maybe he can take over coaching when Bowlen fires McDaniels.

Thats perfect. Tebow can call his own plays.
I mean lets face it, it was only a matter of time before this is going to happen anyways.
QB/COACH. I like it.

Ziggy
04-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Tebow will be starting by mid season.

weazel
04-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Thats perfect. Tebow can call his own plays.
I mean lets face it, it was only a matter of time before this is going to happen anyways.
QB/COACH. I like it.

Tim Tebow... QB, Offensive Coordinator, Head Coach, Manager, Owner, League President

The sky is the limit for Tim Tebow... He once challenged his reflection to a staring contest... and won.

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 04:20 PM
Tim Tebow... QB, Offensive Coordinator, Head Coach, Manager, Owner, League President

The sky is the limit for Tim Tebow... He once challenged his reflection to a staring contest... and won.

Tebow can slam a revolving door.

dogfish
04-27-2010, 04:24 PM
i hear tebow may start at quarterback AND tight end. . . .

arapaho2
04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Interesting column from Peter King today:

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0mKJ345FO

MMQB Mailbag: Two reasons Tebow might start for Broncos in 2010

I've thought all along that Tim Tebow would need a redshirt year, but two things now tell me I might be wrong.

First, Denver trading the 40th, 70th and 114th picks in a power draft to pick Tebow is a powerful statement. Check out the draft trade chart that every team uses and you'll see how much Denver wanted to make sure it wasn't leapfrogged in the Tebow derby. The 25th pick is worth 720 points on the chart every team in the league uses -- some more religiously than others. The 43rd pick is worth 470, the 70th worth 240, and the 114th worth 66. That totals 776. The Broncos paid 56 more points than were necessary by the chart -- equivalent to the 199th overall pick, a late fourth-rounder -- to get Tebow. Denver, obviously, wanted to make the deal badly enough to ratchet up the compensation.

Second, and most importantly, I remember something Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels said to me over the weekend when we discussed the Tebow pick. We weren't discussing playing time, or his role, or anything at the time other than why he was smitten with the guy more than many of his peers on other NFL teams.

McDaniels also said: "The football traits he has is the stuff you die for.''

I think DeMaryius Thomas isn't the receiver Dez Bryant is, but he's a guy the Broncos will sleep better at night having, and he'll step in for Brandon Marshall. Can he be Marshall? I doubt he'll be the impact player, but he'll have the chance. The third-round pick, Minnesota wideout Eric Decker, is intriguing because of his size (6-foot-2, 214); he's the kind of guy who should be able to catch fades with good matchups on shorter corners.

McDaniels made it clear to me the best quarterback will start. He said Kyle Orton is the incumbent, and the starter, today. In camp, who knows? Maybe Brady Quinn lights it up, or maybe Tebow comes along faster than everybody thinks. But the fact Tebow already has a head-start on knowing the offense, and was peeved he had to leave Denver over the weekend to go back home (NFL rules don't permit rookie to be at their team's facilities, other than for a rookie mini-camp, until their class graduates in the spring) is a sign he might come along quicker in the mental part of the game than many draftees would.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels invented some sort of red zone or goal line package for Tebow. Could it be the kind of draw/jump-pass thing Tebow did with the Gators? Maybe. But something to get Tebow on the field a few snaps a game if he doesn't win the job, just to throw a changeup at the opposition. Now, this would be interesting for team chemistry, because whoever wins the starting job (I assume Orton) will have to swallow hard to be OK with getting yanked a couple of times a game for Tebow. But McDaniels is sure to preach the all-for-one, one-for-all team-think attitude in OTAs this spring and training camp this summer, and if the quarterbacks don't buy in, they'll move on.

McDaniels spoke over the weekend about the passion he feels for his job, and how Tebow's a match for that too.

"I love this game so much,'' McDaniels said. "I would die to have 53 guys here who love it as much as I do. I'm looking to find the right group of guys to accept our one singular goal -- to win. I think Tim fits in with that. There're going to be doubts about him. Great doubts -- and I understand that. Some people don't think he has the natural traits of a great quarterback. Here's what I think: Do Jim Furyk and Tiger Woods swing the club the same way, hit irons the same way? No. But they both win tournaments. There're different ways to throw, different mechanics, and you can still get the job done.''

McDaniels has cast his lot with Tebow. He'll sink or swim, over the next three years with him. But if he sinks, he'll be sinking with a kid he believes in. I hear it in McDaniels' voice: This is his guy. Let the training begin. It's going to be fun to watch.

again im not condemming tebow....for gods sake i hope he is something

but i cannot get past the fact...if mcd wanted him so bad..why not just grab him at 24 and keep the additional 70th and 87th picks we got from phily...we still without a doubt coulda snagged one of the premier wrs

after the philly trade if we had grabbed tebow our board would look like this
1st...24th...tebow
2nd..43rd ...maybe thomas..benn or golden tate
45th...Beadles
3rd..70th...
80th..JD walton
87th ..eric decker
4th..113th
114th
5th...137th..parish cox
6th..183rd..eric olsen

now if thomas was still on the board at 33 which im certain he woulda been then we coulda offered the browns the 43 and 114th and a 2011 4th to move up..if not we still have tate or benn available at 43 if thomas is gone

now i know some dont give a shit ...but when we spend 844 draft position points to get a player at a spot with the value of 720..it seems like a waste

i know i know all hail mcdanials...but i still cannot fathom if tebow was the future..then just take him at 24 and be done with it

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
i hear tebow may start at quarterback AND tight end. . . .

Simutaneously during the same play.

arapaho2
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM

sometimes tebow gets up extra early just to spend more time with himself

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2010, 04:52 PM
sometimes tebow gets up extra early just to spend more time with himself

LMAO

Apparently it's the most action he's ever got, and for the time being, ever going to get.

arapaho2
04-27-2010, 04:59 PM
LMAO

Apparently it's the most action he's ever got, and for the time being, ever going to get.

tebow: coach mcd..coach mcd...i woke up and my undies were all wet and sticky...

mcd: shoot son i woke up like that last year..its nothing to be alarmed with....just put your head on my lap and go back to sleep while i figure out how to get you in the game

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
LMAO

http://www.thelostogle.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/tebow-and-girlfriend.jpg
really!?!?

http://thebiglead.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/15.jpg
Really!?!?
You dont actually believe all the virgin PR stuff right!??!

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
really!?!?

Really!?!?

Are you telling me that this guy is a lying fraud?

arapaho2
04-27-2010, 05:04 PM
really!?!?

Really!?!?

i could go have my pic taken with some bimbo..doesnt mean i nailed her

any way if not...then he's basicaly a lier and will fit in well with mcd

broncobryce
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
He COULD get more action than all of us if he wanted. Who gives a shit?

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Are you telling me that this guy is a lying fraud?

Uh Oh. Dont be bitter silk. Hes not into guys, man.
Deal with it. Accept it. And then move on.
Theres plenty of men out there for you, em kay!

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2010, 05:07 PM
Uh Oh. Dont be bitter silk. Hes not into guys, man.
Deal with it. Accept it. And then move on.
Theres plenty of men out there for you, em kay!

Way to dance around the question like a little girl.

Either you are telling me yourself that Tebow is a lying fraud, or you don't quite understand what it is you're talking about.

Which is it?

weazel
04-27-2010, 05:19 PM
really!?!?

I love boobies!

here is another pic of her, his supposed girlfiriend

http://www.showbizgossips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/tim_tebow.jpg

T.K.O.
04-27-2010, 05:22 PM
maybe he's "moral oral"....i could be willing to refrain from "traditional sex" with those 2 ladies.....if my wife said i could that is :laugh:

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I love boobies!

here is another pic of her, his supposed girlfiriend

http://www.showbizgossips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/tim_tebow.jpg

That's Lucy Pinder. I'm not sure if that's the same girl in the first photo. There both effin hot as eff.

weazel
04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
That's Lucy Pinder. I'm not sure if that's the same girl in the first photo. There both effin hot as eff.

I didn't think they were the same girl either, I just got it from another site. Apparantly he was dating her (taht Pinder chick) at the time of the article though.

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I didn't think they were the same girl either, I just got it from another site. Apparantly he was dating her (taht Pinder chick) at the time of the article though.

Tebow and Pinder never dated.

He's an article about the "mystery" of Tim Tebow's gf. I haven't exactly quite figured out who's who exactly, but they are all unbelievably hot.

http://sportsroids.com/2009/06/05/meet-lucy-pinder-the-woman-who-everyone-thought-was-tim-tebows-girlfriend/

Apparently that is the same girl.

slim
04-27-2010, 05:32 PM
maybe he's "moral oral"....i could be willing to refrain from "traditional sex" with those 2 ladies.....if my wife said i could that is :laugh:

Of course, he is certainly smart enough to find that loophole

weazel
04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Tebow and Pinder never dated.

He's an article about the "mystery" of Tim Tebow's gf. I haven't exactly quite figured out who's who exactly, but they are all unbelievably hot.

http://sportsroids.com/2009/06/05/meet-lucy-pinder-the-woman-who-everyone-thought-was-tim-tebows-girlfriend/

Apparently that is the same girl.

you just dont get it, do you silk! I know he never dated her! It was just a ploy to be able to post pics of hot, big breasted chicks!

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
you just dont get it, do you silk! I know he never dated her! It was just a ploy to be able to post pics of hot, big breasted chicks!

Keep posting. And more of Lucy Pinder please! They don't come any better than that.

slim
04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Oh my...

arapaho2
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
more lucy

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7835/lucypindercalendar13big.jpg

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4916/lucypindercalendar9big.jpg

T.K.O.
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM

no wonder he "found God " she could make a believer out of me !:laugh:

Overtime
04-29-2010, 01:40 PM
"we spent about seven hours together."

awwww how cute. next thing you know, we'll be hearing about a wedding between McDaniels and Tebow. :rolleyes: who will take who's last name? :elefant: