PDA

View Full Version : Cutler Has Type 1 Diabetes

Pages : [1] 2

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 09:04 PM
This breaking news that I just saw on the DP website. Jay has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes which is the most serious form. However, before writing him off as bust or that his career is over look the list of athletes that have had long careers with this disease.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_9124884

Cutler diagnosed with diabetes
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 05/01/2008 07:57:23 PM MDT

Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler throwing againt the Tennessee Titans last season. (The Denver Post | Cyrus McCrimmon)Life as Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler once knew it has changed.

Cutler was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, a Broncos source confirmed.

While this is the most serious type of diabetes, making Cutler insulin dependent, the Broncos are confident it will not negatively impact his career performance. Cutler, who could not be reached for comment, has been taking insulin shots since he was diagnosed and has been participating in the Broncos' offseason workout program.

Several athletes have enjoyed long professional careers while playing with Type 1 diabetes, including former big-league baseball stars Ron Santo and Jackie Robinson and hockey's Bobby Clarke. Among the former NFL players who played despite Type 1 diabetes were center Jay Leeuwenburg, who starred at the University of Colorado, quarterback Wade Phillips, and defensive back Mike Echols.

"People need to understand this is very treatable," said a Broncos source. "Jay's going to be fine."

Type 1 diabetes means the pancreas stops producing insulin, which is needed to convert food into energy. Cutler will have to monitor his diet, particularly carbohydrates, and continually monitor his blood-sugar levels, but modern medicine allows people to live long and healthy lives with the disease.

Type 1 diabetes used to be known as juvenile diabetes because it was more commonly diagnosed in children and young adults. However, there have been cases where people reached middle age before they were diagnosed. Cutler turned 25 on Monday.

Actress Mary Tyler Moore, 71, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes nearly 35 years ago.

Type 1 diabetics are made aware of the possible long-term affects on the kidney, heart and vision.

The Broncos' No. 1 draft pick in 2006, Cutler started the final five games of his rookie season and all 16 games last year in his second season. The Broncos knew of Cutler's disease before the NFL draft last week but didn't select a quarterback, a sign the team is confident their quarterback has his condition under control

MOtorboat
05-01-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm no expert, but Type one is usually diagnosed as a child...

nevcraw
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
this will only make the story that much sweeter whern he leads his team to the promised land!

slim
05-01-2008, 09:13 PM
The pancreas is actually important? Who knew?

ChampWJ
05-01-2008, 09:18 PM
The thing I found the most important from that article is the fact that the team knew about his condition before the draft, and apparently feels comfortable enough not to draft a QB. He is still the future of the franchise.

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm no expert, but Type one is usually diagnosed as a child...

Type 1 diabetes used to be called juvenile diabetes because it commonly found in children and young adults.

MOtorboat
05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Type 1 diabetes used to be called juvenile diabetes because it commonly found in children and young adults.

Gotcha...type 2 is in my family...it's different, but I wasn't assure...

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
No smooth sailing. TD had migraines, 7 had no ACL in one knee, Sharpe had a big mouth.

Dig down.

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 09:32 PM
No smooth sailing. TD had migraines, 7 had no ACL in one knee, Sharpe had a big mouth.

Dig down.

Yeah and the most debilitating of those things was Sharpe's big mouth. :lol:

Timmy!
05-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Not good news, but Cutler should be fine. It's never easy for the Broncos.

honz
05-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Uhhhhhh...not great news, but he should be able to keep it under control and not let it effect his play.

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
We should have traded up for Matt Ryan.

Signed,
Lex

tubby
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
crap

Drill-N-Fill
05-01-2008, 09:49 PM
If uncontrolled can lead to poor wound healing.

Timmy!
05-01-2008, 09:51 PM
If uncontrolled can lead to poor wound healing.

Well, technically, if uncontrolled can lead to DEATH :eek:

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 09:53 PM
crap

I don't know if you have had a chance to read the article, but if you haven't you might want too, because I think you'll feel better about the situation after you have read it.

MOtorboat
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
He's fine...

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 09:54 PM
I don't if you have had a chance to read the article, but if you haven't you want too, you might better after you read it.

Tubby is probably the biggest fan on this board. Seriously. This is the kinda stuff that will ruin a month for him. I bet he calls in sick tomorrrow.

honz
05-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Well, technically, if uncontrolled can lead to DEATH :eek:
:eek:

...I just wanted to use that "emoticon"...:shocked:

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Tubby is probably the biggest fan on this board. Seriously. This is the kinda stuff that will ruin a month for him. I bet he calls in sick tomorrrow.

If he hasn't read the article I hope he will because I think he'll feel better about the situation if does.

There is no reason to think that Jay's career is over. If he takes care of himself and I'm sure he will be fine.

BroncoWave
05-01-2008, 10:03 PM
He should call Wilford Brimley. He'll hook him up with those "diabeetus" testin' supplies!

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 10:07 PM
He should call Wilford Brimley. He'll hook him up with those "diabeetus" testin' supplies!

I'm sure Shanahan is going to make sure he has all supplies he needs. I wouldn't doubt it if Shanahan suggest to Jay to have the team doctor move into his house.

tubby
05-01-2008, 10:10 PM

It's only May 1. Why couldn't I have found out about this yesterday or the day before. :frown:

Type 1 diabetes is no joke.

I wonder if Jake would consider a come back? :pray:

BroncoWave
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
It's only May 1. Why couldn't I have found out about this yesterday or the day before. :frown:

Take a deep breath and think about what you just said! :eek:

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 10:13 PM

Yes Type 1 diabetes is nothing to blow off, however if Jay takes care of himself which fully expect he will his career shouldn't be in jeopardy because of it.

tubby
05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
If he hasn't read the article I hope he will because I think he'll feel better about the situation if does.

There is no reason to think that Jay's career is over. If he takes care of himself and I'm sure he will be fine.

Yeah, got it. Jay Leeuwenburg, Wade Phillips, and Mike Echols.

F!

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 10:17 PM

I just deleted your cell phone number.

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 10:28 PM
I just deleted your cell phone number.

Jake couldn't come back here anyway, his rights belong to the Bucs.

Scarface
05-01-2008, 10:29 PM

Dig down.

LMAO!

ursak
05-01-2008, 10:31 PM
don't care ; he just has to take insulin and he'll be fine

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
don't care ; he just has to take insulin and he'll be fine

Yes he should be fine, but this most severe form of diabetes.

Simple Jaded
05-01-2008, 10:42 PM
On a personal level ya just hope Cutler will manage this and lead a healthy life......on a selfish level ya have to wonder what the Broncos did to shit in Karma's Wheaties, so to speak......

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 10:45 PM
this is not good news at all......

not for us, not for the broncos, not for jays family...........

terrible

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
this is not good news at all......

not for, not for the broncos, not for jays family...........

terrible

If you haven't read the article, I encourage you to do so. If he takes care of himself which I fully expect him to do, he should be able resume his career and have long and productive life.

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 10:57 PM
If you haven't read the article, I encourage you to do so. If he takes care of himself which I fully expect him to do, he should be able resume his career and have long and productive life.

i read the article **EDIT***......

they can name all the HACK athletes with this diabeties they want and compare... i dont care... This is not good... This will effect his career, definately shorten it.... Dont kid yourself

NameUsedBefore
05-01-2008, 10:59 PM
What are the physical effects of type-1 diabetes compared to the others?

MOtorboat
05-01-2008, 11:01 PM
What are the physical effects of type-1 diabetes compared to the others?

None.

BroncoWave
05-01-2008, 11:02 PM

they can name all the HACK athletes with this diabeties they want and compare... i dont care... This is not good... This will effect his career, definately shorten it.... Dont kid yourself

Just wondering what you have to back that statement up? Nowhere in that article did it suggest that it would shorten his career.

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Just wondering what you have to back that statement up? Nowhere in that article did it suggest that it would shorten his career.

There is nothing to say it will definitely shorten his career.

Day1BroncoFan
05-01-2008, 11:05 PM
This is not happy news but he's still the man.

Superchop 7
05-01-2008, 11:06 PM

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________

Too bad they don't have a cure for type 1 ...........(prefer not to get kicked off boards):mad:

scott.475
05-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Everybody take a deep breath and relax.

Of the type 1 diabetics I have known, the only ones that had severe trouble were the ones who did not take care of themselves. Wouldn't take their insulin like they were supposed too, drank and partied too much, overweight, no exercise, just people who would not have been considered in good health even without the diabetes.

I have also known a few type 1 diabetics who were very disciplined in their eating and insulin and were in excellent condition. If they went a little too long between meals, they would get a little groggy, but usually recognized it and got it taken care of.

Luckily for Jay, he has enough $$$ to hire a personal chef or nutritionist to get his meals planned out and made, if he wants to. He is also a professional athlete, so probably has a pretty good eating regimen anyway.

He seems to be the kind of guy who actually cares about his own health, so at this point, I really am not worried about him, either on a personal or professional level. The team will just need to make sure they keep plenty of oranges, insulin, etc on the sidelines.

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
This is not happy news but he's still the man.

No its not good news but if he takes care of himself there is very a good chance it wont adversely affect his career.

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 11:12 PM
im no dr., but its hard to think that diabeties, a disease THAT kills people, would not shorten his career.

sheer health and family alone are more important than football. Football has now dropped down the "priority" totem pole a couple spots for Jay.....

MOtorboat
05-01-2008, 11:14 PM
im no dr., but its hard to think that diabeties, a disease THAT kills people, would not shorten his career.

sheer health and family alone are more important than football. Football has now dropped down the "priority" totem pole a couple spots for Jay.....

Leads to death as an older person...

Cutler will be fine, as long as he stays fit and eats right.

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
this is a disease that does not play.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes

Lonestar
05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Everybody take a deep breath and relax.

Of the type 1 diabetics I have known, the only ones that had severe trouble were the ones who did not take care of themselves. Wouldn't take their insulin like they were supposed too, drank and partied too much, overweight, no exercise, just people who would not have been considered in good health even without the diabetes.

I have also known a few type 1 diabetics who were very disciplined in their eating and insulin and were in excellent condition. If they went a little too long between meals, they would get a little groggy, but usually recognized it and got it taken care of.

Luckily for Jay, he has enough $$$ to hire a personal chef or nutritionist to get his meals planned out and made, if he wants to. He is also a professional athlete, so probably has a pretty good eating regimen anyway.

He seems to be the kind of guy who actually cares about his own health, so at this point, I really am not worried about him, either on a personal or professional level. The team will just need to make sure they keep plenty of oranges, insulin, etc on the sidelines.

My only concern with this is the carbohydrate thing as that can really screw up the blood sugar.. Most athletes carb load before games..

I'm guessing that he will be getting lots of protein in his diet now and very few carbs..

scott.475
05-01-2008, 11:20 PM
For what it is worth, not that it will stop the panic here, but that idiot Bret Michaels, you know, from the hair band Poison? Well, he has had type 1 since he was six. If a friggin' rock start can manage it, with the disgusting life they live, then Jay, and any normal person who cares about their health, can manage it too...and live long and healthy lives. On average, it only shortens life span by 5-8 years.

honz
05-01-2008, 11:22 PM

Diabetes isn't really life threatening until you get older, unless you don't take care of yourself at all.

If Jay does what he is supposed to in order to take care of himself, it shouldn't effect his performance or shorten his career.

Day1BroncoFan
05-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm taking my usual wait and see attitude. :coffee:

It is what it is.

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 11:25 PM
For what it is worth, not that it will stop the panic here, but that idiot Bret Michaels, you know, from the hair band Poison? Well, he has had type 1 since he was six. If a friggin' rock start can manage it, with the disgusting life they live, then Jay, and any normal person who cares about their health, can manage it too...and live long and healthy lives. On average, it only life span by 5-8 years.

isnt that a little unfair?

Maybe it was staying away from THAT life that has kept him in good health all this time...

rockstars live disgusting lives...... its like me saying anyone with the last name BUSH is a friggin idiot

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Diabetes isn't really life threatening until you get older, unless you don't take care of yourself at all.

If Jay does what he is supposed to in order to take care of himself, it shouldn't effect his performance or shorten his career.

or shorten his breath during heavy excercise 18,000 feet above sea level.........

honz
05-01-2008, 11:28 PM
or shorten his breath during heavy excercise 18,000 feet above sea level.........
Or don't listen to what anyone else is saying...:coffee:

scott.475
05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
My only concern with this is the carbohydrate thing as that can really screw up the blood sugar.. Most athletes carb load before games..

I'm guessing that he will be getting lots of protein in his diet now and very few carbs..

Granted, I am not an athlete, but I am not sure how much that carbo loading thing holds true anymore. I remember loading up with pasta and stuff when I was playing high school football, but I think we have learned a lot more about time release carbs, etc, since then.

I think, for the most part, most athletes know it is better to eat small, balanced meals throughout the day. Fortunately, this is what diabetics would optimally do as well, so their bodies don't suffer the typical insulin shock of eating a few large meals. Everyone should know what this is, but basically, when you eat a large, complex carb rich meal, you get an insulin spike initially, then you get a massive drop off, when your insulin levels drop dramatically, causing the sleepiness and lethargy most of us experience. Of course, with a diabetic, this will cause a lot more problems than sleepiness.

So, Jay can eat small quantities of complex carbs, along with balanced meals without any trouble. He can eat simple carbs (sugars from fruit, juices, etc) without much trouble. In fact, lacking an insulin packet, if a diabetic slips into diabetic shock, the immediate treatment can be a packet of honey, or any other sweet, sugary substance, squirted into their mouth. Once the sugar gets into their bloodstream, they will stabilize. So, as I said, if they keep a supply of fruits, proteins, and gel packs nearby, he will be fine.

JAY WILL BE FINE!

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Or don't listen to what anyone else is saying...:coffee:

whatever man.....

its ludacris to think that it wont have any effects on his playing.... Its really a simple statement and point. Only person that will influence my opinion is a Dr. who works or has worked with athletes with type 1.....

im mostly worried about Jay mentally.... Added emotional stress from a lifestyle change. Having to be more careful... Constantly thinking about what coud happen... He is not super man...

Football, plus type 1, plus wife, plus kid, plus Santa Clause, plus wanting to grow old, may just be too much for Jay to handle...

scott.475
05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
isnt that a little unfair?

No. I have seen enough about how most of them live their lives to stand by my statement. There may be a few exceptions, but not enough to change my mind.

BeefStew25
05-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Hoe, put down the pipe and pass out.

DenBronx
05-01-2008, 11:56 PM
it's always something...can we just have some good news for once. deaths, accusations, failed drug test, lacerations, qb controverseys, hold outs, draft bust, failed physicals and now diseases.

i just for once want some positive news about the broncos.

DenverBronkHoes
05-01-2008, 11:59 PM
the broncos website is looking great!

silkamilkamonico
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Ouch.

I watched my dad deteriorate to skin and bones with a belly full of fluid, and then die, to type 1 diabetes.

F--k football. Lets just hope this doesn't progress to something that interferes with his daily life in the next couple of years.

Take care of yourself Jay.

DenBronx
05-02-2008, 12:03 AM
i hear the grass at invesco is going to be extra green next year.

scott.475
05-02-2008, 12:13 AM
How about those new uniforms?!

DenverBronkHoes
05-02-2008, 12:15 AM
i hear the grass at invesco is going to be extra green next year.

i love this

Poet
05-02-2008, 12:29 AM
The guy is a millionaire, is constantly surrounded by medical staffs, obviously cares about his body and will have the best care possible.

Yes, this disease is going to physically manifest itself into a defensive lineman on the playing field and pile drive Cutler into the ground.:rolleyes:

Doubtful this will have any real affect on Cutler as far as his play goes.

Stargazer
05-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Not the best news to hear today. GL to Jay and to the rest of his life.

Thankfully, he's not some pre-madonna. And a man who workouts and keeps himself in great shape. There was a pic of him his rookie season in the locker room, and damn did he not have the biggest biceps for a QB I have ever seen.:eek:

nj10
05-02-2008, 12:55 AM
My gf's little sister has type 1 diabetes. She recently got some new insulin pump that also monitors your blood sugar by testing it every 10 minutes.

PatricktheDookie
05-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Man, Denver just can't catch a break this off-season.

broncohead
05-02-2008, 01:49 AM
My gf's little sister has type 1 diabetes. She recently got some new insulin pump that also monitors your blood sugar by testing it every 10 minutes.

Is that common? Jay may be on the sideline after every possetion getting his blood sugar checked every time. I really want him to pull through as a player but I hope even more that he can live a long productive life.

Stargazer
05-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Is that common? Jay may be on the sideline after every possetion getting his blood sugar checked every time. I really want him to pull through as a player but I hope even more that he can live a long productive life.

Thankfully he is a physical freak & cares about conditioning and his body. Who knows, maybe this is the reason he is in great athletic shape. And I do not think this has come out just the past week. It's probably been known for awhile now.

broncohead
05-02-2008, 02:13 AM
Thankfully he is a physical freak & cares about conditioning and his body. Who knows, maybe this is the reason he is in great athletic shape. And I do not think this has come out just the past week. It's probably been known for awhile now.

True. I honestly don't know anything about the condition to talk about it.

ChampWJ
05-02-2008, 02:20 AM

You're probably right. I remember late in the season last year when he kept mentioning how tired he was, how it was such a "long season", and about his weight loss.

You really couldn't tell a drop off in his play, but hopefully now that they found this he will be able to keep his weight and energy level where they should be. He said in his interview with Vic Lombardi tonight that he expects to have a better season.

OB
05-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Hoe, put down the pipe and pass out.

Or puff puff pass biaatch

it's always something...can we just have some good news for once. deaths, accusations, failed drug test, lacerations, qb controverseys, hold outs, draft bust, failed physicals and now diseases.

i just for once want some positive news about the broncos.

I so feel you on this - FYI this site reported it 24hrs before ESPN :2thumbs: on the current info folks - not good news, IMHO - and am on the fence as to why the broncos would take him knowing this info

IDC if its low blood sugor, migraines, IBS or ED - any physical disability effects your health and in turn your stamina and performance - not good for your FUTURE QB

Ouch.

I watched my dad deteriorate to skin and bones with a belly full of fluid, and then die, to type 1 diabetes.

F--k football. Lets just hope this doesn't progress to something that interferes with his daily life in the next couple of years.

Take care of yourself Jay.

Sorry to hear that silk - that couldnt have been easy :hug:

Kapaibro
05-02-2008, 03:21 AM
To read most of these posts one would think Jay has one foot in the grave already.

Jesus H Christ!

Type 1 Diabetes is easy to maintain if you give a damn about your body. And given that Jay is a professional athlete, with a medical team at his disposal, then the chances of anything going awry are slim.

The fact that there is so much emphasis on diabetes these days is due to the fact that so many people in 'civilised' countries are overweight. Being overweight increases your chances of having diabetes. Eatng crap food increases your chances of havng diabetes.

Personally I think that as the Broncos have known about this since before they drafted him, then maybe we should all chill out. He obviously knows how to take care of himself, and has the help he needs to do so.

THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired_Member_001
05-02-2008, 03:31 AM
This is kind of depressing.

Jay is an athlete which helps his health, he takes alot of care in his body. I have no idea how this will TRULY effect him, we will have to wait and see.

It will be interesting as to what he says when he talks to the media about it today.

OB
05-02-2008, 03:37 AM
Its not the end of the world but it, IMHO, is a concern - Most studies, im sure, but not searched, have been based on normal average people, who do normal average things, like work at an office and coach their kids soccer team

I honestly HOPE and PRAY this has NO effect on his performance - to be assured 100%, i am not at this point

I think i may become a raiders/KC or/SD fan - maybe i can bring my bad luck there, although god would know that my heart was with my real team and it would backfire in some way :tsk:

sneakers
05-02-2008, 06:09 AM
So he will have to eat a candy bar at half time....I don't think it will affect him much, hopefully he learns to live with it so he can live a long, healthy life.

edit: I am sure someone has already said this, but his energy level could actually increase now that he has the proper amount of insulin.

broncogirl7
05-02-2008, 06:40 AM
Serious disease, but now that he knows...he will be fine as long as he practices strict control and tests his blood glucose levels often.

Retired_Member_001
05-02-2008, 06:43 AM
Broncos' Cutler says his diabetes 'very treatable'
Team says it's prepared to help monitor quarterback's disease

The Broncos are prepared to take all of the measures they need to monitor quarterback Jay Cutler's health, but they are confident Cutler can manage Type 1 diabetes during the 25-year-old's playing career.

Cutler was diagnosed in recent weeks with the disease, and the team's medical staff is ready to deal with a starting quarterback who is insulin dependent, team sources said Thursday night.

Cutler also confirmed the diagnosis in an interview with CBS 4 News on Thursday night, saying it was discovered in the blood test players take when they return for the team's offseason conditioning program.

Cutler, who is wearing an insulin pump on his stomach, said he began to lose weight in October - he lost 8 to 10 pounds that month, he said - and by the end of the season was down to 202, or 32 pounds below the weight he started the season at.

"(It) definitely affected my game . . . but now we know, now we can deal with it," Cutler said in the interview, saying when he returned to the team's complex to begin offseason workouts he thought "something's not right, I'm losing all this weight, I have no strength, I can't run very much, I can't lift at all. Luckily, we figured out what it was."

Type 1 diabetes means Cutler's body, like others who deal with the disease, doesn't produce insulin, a hormone needed to convert sugar, starches and other food into energy.

When insulin is absent, the blood sugar level increases.

High blood sugar levels can lead to short- and long- term problems, including kidney disease and blindness, so diabetics require daily insulin injections.

Cutler will need to take daily doses of insulin and closely monitor his diet.

Former Broncos defensive end Mike Sinclair played with the disease during his career. Former Cowboys and Vikings quarterback Wade Wilson is believed to be the only other starting quarterback in the league's recent history publicly to have acknowledged having the disease.

Former Titans safety Tony George and former Titans cornerback Mike Echols, who played as teammates for the team briefly in 2002, were Type 1 diabetics and at the time were believed, according to the American Diabetes Association, to be the first NFL teammates dealing with the disease.

When a player's blood sugar was too low, the Titans trainers were looking for shakiness, dizziness, profuse sweating and hunger.

When a player's blood sugar was too high, they were looking for symptoms that included fatigue, nausea, blurry vision or dry mouth.

Insulin-dependent diabetes can be found in people of all ages, though it develops most often in children and young adults.

"I'm not the first person to get it, I'm not the last person to get it . . . it's very treatable," Cutler said.

Former University of Colorado offensive lineman Jay Leeuwenburg, Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr., golfer Michelle McGann, former Raiders coach Art Shell, boxer James "Buster" Douglas and golfer Scott Verplank are some of those in athletics who have dealt with the disease.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/01/broncos-cutler-diagnosed-diabetes/

Retired_Member_001
05-02-2008, 06:44 AM
To add to what I said a while ago, I think now whenever Cutler has a bad game, people are going to go on " It must be the diabetes".

Something that wouldn't be fair in my opinion.

broncogirl7
05-02-2008, 06:50 AM
To add to what I said a while ago, I think now whenever Cutler has a bad game, people are going to go on " It must be the diabetes".

Something that wouldn't be fair in my opinion.

It definately wouldn't be a fair or true assessment. Wasn't he diagnosed before he was drafted? I think his brilliance will speak for itself in the years to come! Go Broncos! Go Jay!

BroncoWave
05-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Not to make light of the situation but this is a perfect situation to view one of the classic commercials of my time...diabeetus!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERL64lF24Xg

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 07:06 AM
As someone mentioned earlier if Jay were much older it would be even more of a concern but he is young he's committed to taking care of himself so I think as far football is concerned he's going to be fine.

By the way, did Jay's parents move to Denver in his rookie season and if I'm not mistaken they were living in the same house. If that's case I'm sure his mom will take good care of him.

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 07:17 AM
It definately wouldn't be a fair or true assessment. Wasn't he diagnosed before he was drafted? I think his brilliance will speak for itself in the years to come! Go Broncos! Go Jay!

I think they were saying he was diagnosed prior to last weekends draft.

Rex
05-02-2008, 08:04 AM

Maybe he should smoke pot......I am sure that would fix everything.

Mike
05-02-2008, 08:10 AM
Maybe he should smoke pot......I am sure that would fix everything.

Let's not go there, cswil. ;)

claymore
05-02-2008, 08:14 AM
My mom has type 1 Diabetes. If he takes care of himself there will be no problems. What pisses me offis this crap always happens to us. How bout a little luck football gods? I swear we are jinxed. :tsk:

Ziggy
05-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Cutler can have the same career he would have before he was diagnosed with this. It is a very managable disease that requires the body to receive insulin through injections rather than making it in the pancreas. Jay will have to maintain a good healthy diet, which I'm sure he already does, and moniter his blood sugar. Anywhere from 1 to 4 times a day he will have to give himself an insulin shot.

For those of you with the horror stories about friends or relatives that had bad outcomes because of diabetes, it's because the disease was poorly managed. Jay has the money to hire a nutritionist, and has a medical staff at his disposal at all times. I treat people with type 1 diabetes all the time. The only time they have problems is when they mismanage thier diet or insulin.

Rex
05-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Cutler can have the same career he would have before he was diagnosed with this. It is a very managable disease that requires the body to receive insulin through injections rather than making it in the pancreas. Jay will have to maintain a good healthy diet, which I'm sure he already does, and moniter his blood sugar. Anywhere from 1 to 4 times a day he will have to give himself an insulin shot.

For those of you with the horror stories about friends or relatives that had bad outcomes because of diabetes, it's because the disease was poorly managed. Jay has the money to hire a nutritionist, and has a medical staff at his disposal at all times. I treat people with type 1 diabetes all the time. The only time they have problems is when they mismanage thier diet or insulin.

Exactly. Manage it and he will be fine.

BeefStew25
05-02-2008, 09:36 AM
Is he going to have track marks on his arms like junkies do?

BroncoJoe
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM

Nah. He's got a insulin pump on his stomach.

Ziggy
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM

No. Insulin shots are given IM (intramuscular), not IV (intravenously).

BeefStew25
05-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Nah. He's got a insulin pump on his stomach.

That is cool. Like a USB port. He can download his digital photos into his pancreas.

BroncoJoe
05-02-2008, 09:47 AM
How the hell is he going to play with an insulin pump?

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/content/binary/art-lee%20fig1.jpg

scott.475
05-02-2008, 10:05 AM

Thank you!

The sky is NOT falling!

scott.475
05-02-2008, 10:09 AM
How the hell is he going to play with an insulin pump?

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/content/binary/art-lee%20fig1.jpg

LOL

I imagine he will disconnect the thing while he plays. Here is what they look like, usually clipped to your waistband like a cell phone:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:47lyLH-kr2lAWM:http://www.diabetescaregroup.info/images/pump2.jpg

I don't imagine the little device could handle the rigors of a game.

Ziggy
05-02-2008, 10:14 AM
Not everyone with Type 1 diabetes gets a pump. As a matter of fact, most don't.

BroncoJoe
05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Not everyone with Type 1 diabetes gets a pump. As a matter of fact, most don't.

The article (and I heard it on the radio this morning) says he has one.

Bronco9798
05-02-2008, 10:22 AM
My wife is a type 1 diabetic and has had it since she was 13. She is 44. She has lived with it for 31 years and her life is as normal if not better than most people. She has a pump that monitors her blood sugar. It all gets down down to one thing. If you take care of your self with a proper diet and proper monotiring you can and will live a very normal prodcutive life. She is in better health than obese people and other people. It is a disease that is very controllable and manageable. This will not effect Cutlers play during sundays. He will be properly monitored and taken care of, it's not that big of a deal to play and be active with type 1 diabetes. Again, its all about proper monitoring and diet.

GEM
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
whatever man.....

its ludacris to think that it wont have any effects on his playing.... Its really a simple statement and point. Only person that will influence my opinion is a Dr. who works or has worked with athletes with type 1.....

im mostly worried about Jay mentally.... Added emotional stress from a lifestyle change. Having to be more careful... Constantly thinking about what coud happen... He is not super man...

Football, plus type 1, plus wife, plus kid, plus Santa Clause, plus wanting to grow old, may just be too much for Jay to handle...

I get where you are coming from hoes, but if this were to happen to a Brandon Marshall I would be more inclined to be worried. I can see a Jay Cutler, who already takes his health and body seriously having much more success dealing with this. A lot mentally, but they have some of the best docs with the team and they can send him to any specialist they need to regardless of the monetary cost.

If he adjusts to the changes well and the team docs are monitoring alongside him, the outcome should be fine.

Day1BroncoFan
05-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm looking at this as one more reason why, in the end, Jay is going to impress the hell out of every one. ;)

Jay will deal with it.

BroncoJoe
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
I have absolutely no worries about his mental or physical health through this.

None.

tubby
05-02-2008, 10:35 AM
My wife is a type 1 diabetic and has had it since she was 13. She is 44. I've lived with it for 31 years and her life is as normal if not better than most people. She has a pump that monitors her blood sugar. It all gets down down to one thing. If you take care of your self with a proper diet and proper monotiring you can and will live a very normal prodcutive life. She is in better health than obese people and other people. It is a disease that is very controllable and manageable. This will not effect Cutlers play during sundays. He will be properly monitored and taken care of, it's not that big of a deal to play and be active with type 1 diabetes. Again, its all about proper monitoring and diet.

Thanks 9798. That makes me feel better. I almost didn't get out of bed today.

MOtorboat
05-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Jay will be fine, and who wants to bet the Broncos team doctors and a group of other hired professionals are already working on a machine that will be able to handle the rigors of the game?

Watchthemiddle
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
Jay is going to be fine.

He has the money, support system, and brains to not really let this effect his play.

He is an athlete that has had to have a pretty strict diet as is probably, has probably taken vitamins or supplements in the past and did it daily anyway...this is medicine that he will have to take daily in order to keep his levels normal.

His lifestyle might change a little.....he might not be able to go out and hit the suds and bars with the fella's as much as he wants too, but thats a good thing...:D

The ONLY way this would effect his play, is if he waits too long to take his meds. Mentally and physically he could go down hill fast, but I don't see that happening with this kid.

THe Broncos are supposed to have a news conference any minute I think locally here, so I will watch/listen to it and give an update if I can.

jlarsiii
05-02-2008, 11:08 AM
I am in medical school so I know a thing or two about diabetes. In fact, one of my classmates is a type 1 diabetic that was a safety for a division 1a school. Diabetes is a disease that can be managed for athletes. Jay is in a great position to manage this BECAUSE he is an athlete.

He can carbo load before a game, and he doesn't have to worry about taking insulin during the game because even without the insulin exercise increases the ability of the body to take in glucose. He just needs to not overdo it.

Considering the resources that he has at his disposal Cutler is in as good a position as one could be as far as managing this disease. I, for one, am not worried about his football career at all. I just wish him a long and healthy life.

Drill-N-Fill
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
In an interview with CBS 4 in Denver regarding his recent diagnosis with Type I diabetes, Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler says that he was feeling the effects of the condition during the 2007 season.

“We looked back, and I dropped 8-10 pounds in October,” Cutler said. “So at least six months. The second half of the season [it] was kind of something I was dealing with at the time. I was losing weight, didn’t have a lot of strength. You could tell. Just the way I played, some of the throws that I made didn’t have a lot behind them.”

Lonestar
05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/01/broncos-cutler-diagnosed-diabetes/

This was the part of this post that disturbs me MOST.

Cutler also confirmed the diagnosis in an interview with CBS 4 News on Thursday night, saying it was discovered in the blood test players take when they return for the team's off season conditioning program.

Cutler, who is wearing an insulin pump on his stomach, said he began to lose weight in October - he lost 8 to 10 pounds that month, he said - and by the end of the season was down to 202, or 32 pounds below the weight he started the season at.

"(It) definitely affected my game . . . but now we know, now we can deal with it," Cutler said in the interview, saying when he returned to the team's complex to begin off season workouts he thought "somethings not right, I'm losing all this weight, I have no strength, I can't run very much, I can't lift at all. Luckily, we figured out what it was."

EVERYONE at dove valley had NO clue that he was losing all that weight last year. 32 Pounds is a lot of weight on most normal folks that is 2-3 inches of the waist line..

While I am glad they know about it now, why did someone not raise a flag last year?

Someone has been asleep at the switch..

BroncoJoe
05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Interesting stuff from a Doctor:

What Diabetes Means to Jay Cutler
Posted by Dr. Dave Hnida
OK, I'm a big Bronco fan as well as a big Jay Cutler fan, but this diabetes diagnosis makes football seem like small potatoes. Here's what it's all about.

Cutler has Type I diabetes- a disease formerly known as Juvenile Diabetes since it mainly affects children. Yet you can get Type I at any age. (the average age is 12-14, Cutler is in his mid-20's.). It only makes up 10% of all cases of diabetes with the other 90% being the obesity-linked Type 2 variety. Type I happens when the pancreas stops making insulin, and since insulin controls your blood sugar, your blood sugar shoots up and makes you feel terrible. You then will need lifelong insulin shots.

We don't know why people get Type I, most likely the body's own immune system attacks and destroys the pancreas. What makes the immune system do this is the subject of a lot of research-the main theory right now is some weird virus triggers the whole thing. The destruction can be rapid or gradual- in Cutler's case it sounds gradual since he suffered some classic symptoms that worsened over the course of last year's season (he started feeling bad in October.)

Here are the most common symptoms:

Increased thirst ( as in really thirsty)

Increased appetite.... usually with weight LOSS (Cutler dropped 30lbs)

Increased urination

You also usually feel tired, dizzy, headachy, and get blurred vision- how he made it through the rest of the season is beyond me.

We make the diagnosis with a simple blood test and then put you on insulin injections or an insulin pump- which supplies insulin just under the skin of your abdomen. The disease is not curable, but it is controllable.

It's important to know Cutler is not alone. Millions of Americans have Type One, and just like everyone else, he will need to watch his diet closely, check his blood sugar several times a day, and adjust his insulin depending on how his body is working. As a professional athlete, he will need to watch things a little more closley especially on game day and when he has heavy workouts- the biggest danger is his sugar dropping too low from burning up calories. He may be drinking lots of juice and eating lots of snacks on the sideline this season. As far as athletes go, there are Type I diabetics in the NFL, NBA, NHL, Major League baseball... and every other sport you can think of. Yet since it's possible to compete at an elite level, nobody usually thinks about it and you hardly ever hear diabetes mentioned. (I'm talking the fans and the press here.)

As for Cutler's career, his play may actually get better now that he has a diagnosis and is getting treatment. He will feel stronger and healthier- will NOT be more prone to injury- and as long as his sugar is well controlled should recover just fine (and painfully) from the normal bumps, bruises, and scrapes a QB suffers every week.

As for Cutler's life, he should look for a long and healthy one. New things are popping up every day and the disease will one day be curable. It's just a blessing he caught this one early-- and I bet his advice to you would be to get screened if you have any signs or symptoms. You don't need to be an NFL quarterback to beat diabetes.

Davii
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
It's good to read that Joe, thanks.

I'm sure Jay will do everything he is supposed to do and must do in order to play as well as we know he can.

I worry a little about the pump, it says it's right beneath the skin on the abdomen, any problems if he takes a hard smack right where it's at?

I'm sure they're going to have a doctor who's main job is to check Jay's blood sugar levels constantly throughout a game, etc.

Good luck Jay. It'll just make the NFL films on your brilliant career that much better.

honz
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM

Cutler also confirmed the diagnosis in an interview with CBS 4 News on Thursday night, saying it was discovered in the blood test players take when they return for the team's off season conditioning program.

"(It) definitely affected my game . . . but now we know, now we can deal with it," Cutler said in the interview, saying when he returned to the team's complex to begin off season workouts he thought "somethings not right, I'm losing all this weight, I have no strength, I can't run very much, I can't lift at all. Luckily, we figured out what it was."

EVERYONE at dove valley had NO clue that he was losing all that weight last year. 32 Pounds is a lot of weight on most normal folks that is 2-3 inches of the waist line..

While I am glad they know about it now, why did someone not raise a flag last year?

Hell, if he could play like he did last year while suffering from the effects of Diabetes, he should be able to perform even better this year after he starts treating it and getting his strength back.

The sky is definitely NOT falling.:elefant:

BroncoJoe
05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I would imagine he would remove the needle and pump while playing...

scott.475
05-02-2008, 12:10 PM
I worry a little about the pump, it says it's right beneath the skin on the abdomen, any problems if he takes a hard smack right where it's at?

I can't see anyway he could play with the pump itself attached. It is a little computer, and now way could it handle the punishment, plus it could hurt Jay if he fell on it.

I imagine he will either disconnect the pump and leave the small tube in place, tabed to his body, or they will just remove the whole shebang before each game, then hook him back up after. Not a big deal.

scott.475
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Hell, if he could play like he did last year while suffering from the effects of Diabetes, he should be able to perform even better this year after he starts treating it and getting his strength back.

Cripes, exactly what I was thinking. Imagine his throws at full power? I'm thinking a lot of those picks wouldn't have been made.

Lonestar
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM

I was not implying it was the end of the world just that someone in Dove valley is not paying attention for something like this to have fallen through the cracks..

You just do not "fail to notice" your star QB losing 32 pounds in one season.. Surely they weigh in from time to time throughout the season. He also stated it affected his game. Was he the only one to notice this?

It is like buying a Ferrari and never looking under the hood to make sure Preventive maintenance is done on it.. Unless your a complete BLOND this is something that just does not happen..

Someone should be fired for gross incompetence IMO..

Davii
05-02-2008, 12:14 PM
I can't see anyway he could play with the pump itself attached. It is a little computer, and now way could it handle the punishment, plus it could hurt Jay if he fell on it.

I imagine he will either disconnect the pump and leave the small tube in place, tabed to his body, or they will just remove the whole shebang before each game, then hook him back up after. Not a big deal.

So this is something external...

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I was thinking this was some kind of device that gets implanted or some crap.

Lonestar
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM
So this is something external...

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I was thinking this was some kind of device that gets implanted or some crap.

It is a small device with a digital readout on it.. the one I have seen are about 2X3X.5 inches or so in dimensions. The leads for blood sugar sampling and insulin release are implanted while this is external.

Bronco9798
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
It's good to read that Joe, thanks.

I'm sure Jay will do everything he is supposed to do and must do in order to play as well as we know he can.

I'm sure they're going to have a doctor who's main job is to check Jay's blood sugar levels constantly throughout a game, etc.

Good luck Jay. It'll just make the NFL films on your brilliant career that much better.

It would probably shatter. My wife's is about the size of a medium sized fist. But, medically it would have no impact. He wouldn't play with the pump anyway. It's not like its something that has to be strapped to you 24 hours a day.

BroncoWave
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Here was a nice fan blog that someone posted on ESPN:

http://sportsnation.espn.go.com/bball4life578/post/52569

Chris Lofton and Jay Cutler- Let's root for these guys to have great careers!
Posted about 2 hours ago

As I am sure everyone now knows, Chris Lofton was diagnosed with cancer just a few days after the 2006-2007 season ended for the Tennessee Volunteers with a tough loss to Ohio State in the Sweet 16. This has been the story with Chris Lofton his entire life, beating the odds. Coming out of high school, this kid was not heavily recruited at all. Everyone thought he was “too slow”, “too short”, “couldn’t play defense” and “couldn’t dribble well enough” amongst many other things. The funny thing about all of this is, he would say all of this with a smile and use it as motivation to prove every single one of his doubters wrong. And he did just that! A three time All-American and one of the most prolific 3-point shooters in college basketball history, no doubt Lofton will have his #5 retired by the Vols as he helped get the program back on the map!

Reading the article written on Lofton by Chris Low, Lofton reminds me a lot of myself in how quiet and reserved he is. Thankfully they were able to find a tumor marker, otherwise he might not even be alive today. From the article, Lofton didn’t tell very many people about his condition at all. Only the Vols coaching staff, his parents, the medical staff and one teammate of his knew. That teammate was Jordan Howell. He and Lofton would stay together during road games late last season. Not even his aunts, uncles and cousins knew about this. Pretty scary stuff to say the least.

Just reading the article Chris Low wrote has me with tears in my eyes, so I can only imagine how much Lofton and his family were crying when they all knew he had testicular cancer. The weird thing about all of this is that if it wasn’t for a random drug test by the NCAA, he might not have ever known about this. Lofton sure has a great mom and dad telling him to keep his head up, stay strong and fight the good fight because while you’ll definitely be down when you find out you have cancer, it’s how you respond that determines how strong you really are as a person. Needless to say, with Lofton having been doubted his entire life, he wasn’t about to stop losing faith at this point.

Now his recovery sure was a very long, painful one. After the surgery on March 28, he couldn’t do anything, not even walk around for the next 10 days, just lay on his bed and watch movies. It was Tennessee trainer, Chad Newman, who was always there for him in Knoxville while his mom and dad talked to him on the phone every night, each one of them crying uncontrollably. It was his parents and trainer Chad Newman who told Lofton he was going to pull through. As the slogan of the 2004 World Champion Red Sox was, he had to ‘Keep the Faith.’ Yes Trish, that was for you :)

Tennessee Coach, Bruce Pearl, talked about the possibility of redshirting Lofton, but he said there was no way that was going to happen with his team picked to be contenders for the national championship. In the words of Chris Lofton, “I had to be there for them,” he said. “They would have been there for me.” While his numbers during his senior season were down from the unbelievable numbers he put up in his junior season, that wasn’t what mattered the most at all. What mattered the most was him being out there and being there for his teammates. What an awesome guy and teammate, anytime Chris Lofton wants to play for my team, he certainly can. I know this is a guy who will give it his all for me every time he steps on the court.

Right now, Lofton is indeed cancer-free and has been in for regular checkups, but he’ll also need to be watched for the rest of his life just to make sure everything will be alright. Thankfully, from everything his former coach, Bruce Pearl, has heard, this won’t have any affect on his NBA career in regards to making an NBA roster or being drafted. The last guy I can remember in the sports world to beat testicular cancer is current Red Sox 3rd baseman, Mike Lowell. And beat testicular cancer he has indeed. In his second year with the Red Sox, he had the best season of his career and was the World Series MVP in playing a huge part to leading the Sox to their second World Series title in 4 seasons.

In addition to this, we now have Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler who was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Like Lofton, thankfully it doesn’t sound like this will have any affect on Cutler’s playing career as he will continue to be the Broncos QB. Hockey Hall of Famer Bobby Clarke, former Gonzaga Bulldogs/current Charlotte Bobcats forward Adam Morrison, Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr. and golfers Scott Verplank, Michelle McGann and Kelli Kuehne are other notable athletes to have been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in their careers.

There is a message that can be taken from stories like this, that when you’re going through tough times, remember to remain positive and stay strong because you can survive and beat horrible diseases like cancer and continue to play professional sports through Type 1 diabetes. The other message you should take from this as well as from a lot of my other blogs is to live life to its fullest each and every day and if you indeed play sports, to make sure you’re always out there playing your hardest and giving it your all because you never know when something like what happened to Chris Lofton or Jay Cutler can happen to you.

A special thanks to Chris Lofton, Mike Lowell, Jay Cutler and many others for showing us all that cancer and diabetes can be beaten and that we can still have successful careers regardless of what dream career we decide to pursue. Best of luck to all of them in continuing to defy the odds and be successful in their respective careers. We have all been doubted in our lives at some point, that hasn’t stopped these athletes, so we shouldn’t let that stop us!

Everyone take care, stay safe and have fun this weekend =)

silkamilkamonico
05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Kind of ironic that he starting losing weight/strength in the second half when he was playing his best football stats wise.

Considering it was a concern for him, I'm happy they found out why and can take precautionary measures for next year.

donkeystyle
05-02-2008, 01:17 PM
How did it go undiagnosed for so long?

Do you think if they had known about this before that draft they would've went after Leinart instead?

honz
05-02-2008, 01:36 PM
I was not implying it was the end of the world just that someone in Dove valley is not paying attention for something like this to have fallen through the cracks..

You just do not "fail to notice" your star QB losing 32 pounds in one season.. Surely they weigh in from time to time throughout the season. He also stated it affected his game. Was he the only one to notice this?

It is like buying a Ferrari and never looking under the hood to make sure Preventive maintenance is done on it.. Unless your a complete BLOND this is something that just does not happen..

That's a good point, Jr. I would assume that they noticed he was losing weight, but weren't quite sure what was going on and couldn't diagnose. Even that seems strange, though, that with all of the doctors and medical personnel that the Broncos have access to, not one of them could diagnose what was wrong until just a few weeks ago.

The only thing I can think of that would prevent Jay from getting a diagnosis until now if if he tried to hide how he was feeling and not be totally forthcoming for some reason. Who knows what really went on behind the scenes, though.

nj10
05-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Well he couldn't use an insulin pump on the field, so he'd most likely be taking insulin shots on the sideline. And having his blood sugar taken every other series or so...

scott.475
05-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Do you think if they had known about this before that draft they would've went after Leinart instead?

Let's not think about that.

Lonestar
05-02-2008, 02:16 PM
That's a good point, Jr. I would assume that they noticed he was losing weight, but weren't quite sure what was going on and couldn't diagnose. Even that seems strange, though, that with all of the doctors and medical personnel that the Broncos have access to, not one of them could diagnose what was wrong until just a few weeks ago.

The only thing I can think of that would prevent Jay from getting a diagnosis until now if if he tried to hide how he was feeling and not be totally forthcoming for some reason. Who knows what really went on behind the scenes, though.

Still, someone was not paying attention this is something you really can't hide, unless everyone is BAT BLIND.. 15 pounds maybe, 32 that is a lot of weight off an already pretty fit person..

If they have any weigh ins from time to time..

Someone had to be asleep at the wheel.

Lonestar
05-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Kind of ironic that he starting losing weight/strength in the second half when he was playing his best football stats wise.

Considering it was a concern for him, I'm happy they found out why and can take precautionary measures for next year.

I think that was mostly because he was more comfortable with his other players and had a better understanding of the playbook..

Thnikkaman
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I wonder if he had a pancrius injury or something?

scott.475
05-02-2008, 04:18 PM
I wonder if he had a pancrius injury or something?

They are not sure what causes it exactly. The latest thinking is that it may be a virus that attacks the pancreas and simply causes it to shut down. I have never heard that there is any cause-and-effect between a pancreas injury and diabetes, but I am no expert.

Drill-N-Fill
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
They are not sure what causes it exactly. The latest thinking is that it may be a virus that attacks the pancreas and simply causes it to shut down. I have never heard that there is any cause-and-effect between a pancreas injury and diabetes, but I am no expert.

A Pancrease injury can cause diabetes if the beta cells (responsible for the secretion of the insulin) gets damaged. However this is not the case here. This is a classic example of just sometimes your immune system just starts thinking beta cells are foreign cells and starts attacking it. Thus no more insulin being produced by your body.

Hobe
05-02-2008, 04:51 PM
I don't think it is a big deal. Diabetes is manageable. I'll bet they have a trainer following him around with a blood-suger tester, especially on game days.

jrelway
05-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Cutler says the diabetes affected his play in the second half of the season..this just shows the kids toughness. i thought he had a pretty good second half of the season..imagine if he was a 100%. the broncos medical staff best be on point with this.

jrelway
05-02-2008, 04:53 PM

lol..i saw this commercial a couple weeks ago..diabeetus.

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 04:54 PM
My mom has type 1 Diabetes. If he takes care of himself there will be no problems. What pisses me offis this crap always happens to us. How bout a little luck football gods? I swear we are jinxed. :tsk:

Well it seems that they have caught this before Jay got really sick and the likelihood of it jeopardizing his career is very small as long as he takes care of himself.

Brand
05-02-2008, 05:06 PM
There have been reports that Diabetes may be "cured" with Stem Cell research results. I do not have a link or such, rather, it is something that I recall having read. With the new methods of obtaining the equivalent of stem cells, perhaps the research can speed up. It is also my hope because I have Type II, but it is managed with medications and exercise and eating properly (this latter, I am not as good at, however.) It is possible to lose enough weight and and exercise enough to stop meds altogether.

I miss some of the foods I used to enjoy a lot, and my daily beer rations. I am limited to one small glass of beer a day. Anyway, it is manageable......

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 05:11 PM

I don't think that anyone fell asleep at the switch. They thought it was related to the stress of being the starter. At any rate they do regular blood work on the players and Jay went in for his they told him had diabetes.

BroncoJoe
05-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I miss some of the foods I used to enjoy a lot, and my daily beer rations. I am limited to one small glass of beer a day. Anyway, it is manageable......

Good God. I'd die.

Broncospsycho77
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but an update...

Diabetic quarterback Cutler says he should have seen warning signs1 hour ago

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Jay Cutler realizes he should have recognized something was wrong last season when lost 35 pounds and some zip on his famous fastballs.

"I had no energy," the Denver Broncos' third-year quarterback said Friday. "We thought it might be stress and the grind of going through a whole season. But once I got back here and started working out again, I just wasn't making any improvement. I wasn't getting any stronger. I was still losing weight."

Routine blood tests that are required before players participate in the team's off-season strength and conditioning program revealed the answer: His sugars were about five times higher than normal.

The 25-year-old quarterback met with doctors last month, who told him he's an insulin-dependent diabetic. He got a crash course in the disease and its ramifications if uncontrolled.

"It's a little overwhelming to get that news and realize you're going to have to completely change your life," said Cutler, who accepted his fate after a few days.

"It's not something that's going to go away," Cutler said. "It's something I'm going to have to deal with my entire life and you've got to come to grips with that."

He said he never worried about his career being in jeopardy.

"No. That's the first thing they said to me: 'It's going to affect your lifestyle a little bit, but you'll be able to continue to play football,"' Cutler said. "I'm not the first athlete to get diabetes and I won't be the last."

Other professional athletes who dealt with diabetes and had successful careers include NFL quarterback Wade Wilson; tennis stars Arthur Ashe and Billie Jean King, Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr., NHL star Bobby Clarke, baseball Hall of Famer Ty Cobb and boxing greats Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Robinson.

As long as Cutler manages his disease through exercise, medication and diet, there's no medical reason he wouldn't be able to continue performing at the NFL level. He'll have to monitor his blood glucose levels during games and drink some Gatorade if his sugars drop too low or take a shot of insulin if they skyrocket.

"I've got a lot of people watching me," Cutler said. "It's not going to affect me on the field. I'm going to make changes off the field, eating and stuff like that."

About 21 million Americans have diabetes, meaning their bodies cannot properly turn blood sugar into energy. Either they don't produce enough insulin or don't use it correctly. With the Type 1 form that Cutler has, the body's immune system attacks insulin-producing pancreatic cells, so that patients require insulin injections to survive. It usually, but not always, strikes in childhood.

The six-foot-three Cutler said he dropped from 238 pounds to 203 by season's end but is back up to 220 since beginning insulin injections after he was diagnosed last month.

"I've felt great. I've felt 100 times better," he said. "Just a difference now and four, five weeks ago is tremendous. It's hard to explain what you feel like when your levels are at 400, 500, it's different. You don't have any energy, you don't really want to do anything, you sleep a lot. It's tough to deal with."

Cutler said he had all the classic signs of diabetes: unexplained weight loss, frequent urination, constant thirst, lack of energy. Without a family history of the disease, though, he never suspected that was the culprit.

Cutler, the 11th pick in the 2006 draft, threw for nearly 3,500 yards and 20 touchdowns last season but the Broncos missed the playoffs for a second straight year. It was obvious as the season wore on that his arm strength wasn't what it was his rookie year, when he started the final five weeks of the season.

"I'm not going to blame it on that, but thinking back, there were some throws that didn't have a lot on them," Cutler said. "I was able to go out and perform, I just wasn't that energetic. I was tired. After the games, I was completely wiped out. Some games I didn't do a whole lot. There was something wrong."

In the weight room, he couldn't lift as much, and when he and teammates Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler gathered in Atlanta over the winter to work out together, Cutler said there were times he couldn't get out of bed in the morning he was so exhausted.

"They would ask me what was up and I would say, 'I don't know. I'm just so tired,"' Cutler recalled. When he went back to campus to visit friends at Vanderbilt, they, too, wondered what was wrong: "I was pale, I was skinny, I couldn't run. It was pretty dramatic."

Now, he feels like a million bucks and he's eager to get into practices and exhibitions to see how his body reacts and how he can keep his blood sugars in control during competition.

As for his changes in diet, no more eating, as he put it, "anything and everything."

"It's a big adjustment," Cutler said. "You're 25 years old, you're used to eating whatever you want, doing whatever you want. If you want to go out to lunch, go ahead and go. Now, you're counting carbs and eating healthier and injecting insulin at the table. You've got to have your insulin, your needles, your glucose meter, yeah, it's a big change. But it's something you have to deal with."

Eating less fast food is a silver lining to his diagnosis, said Cutler, who is looking into getting an insulin pump in the next month and plans to expand his charity work to include juvenile diabetes.

He also wants fans to know he's going to be all right.

"This is a serious, serious disease, and I'm going to have it for the rest of my life," Cutler said. "It's not going to change me on the field. I'm going to have some lifestyle changes, but I'm probably going to be a better quarterback this year than I was last year."

Hoshdude7
05-02-2008, 05:21 PM
He is regaining it back and is going to be bigger and stronger than ever. Just wait until you see Jay in 08!
:elefant:

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but an update...

I was working on it BP at about the same time. I'll delete my post.

JONtheBRONCO
05-02-2008, 05:42 PM
I played college football with a guy who had Type 1 and he was just fine. Ran, worked out, played, etc... He got light headed every now and then and from time to time it affected him, but nothing severe... Cutler will be good to go.

NorthernLights
05-02-2008, 05:58 PM
My best wishes go out to Jay and his family and hope only for the best for him during the upcoming season and throughout his career. Something like this is bigger than rivalries and reminds me to step back and really appreciate how lucky I am.

It's fun to chat it up with you guys and gals, and sometimes it gets a bit out of perspective, whereas this brings it back for me. I truly hope Jay is able to continue to play at a high level and I hope it is completely transparent to all of us fans.

Take care Jay and I look forward to many great games to come. Later.

haroldthebarrel
05-02-2008, 06:00 PM
What a frigging day. First my landlord ups the rent by almost 25 percent and now this.................. still, i understand him as it is still pretty cheap, but damn like i dont have have little money to begin with.... And my xbox has ripped my madden game to shreds as well. Today was the first day it stopped working for good.

and now Cutler has diabetes........ All this in one day! Crap, like I aint depressed enough to begin with. I frigging wanna kill myself right now.

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 06:12 PM

You have no idea what you're saying.

First off all they knew at that time was he had lost weight which can easily be attributed to the rigors of playing professional football and the stress of being the quarterback. And yes being under that kind of stress you could loss that much weight. Also I'll bet they see players drop significant amounts weight likes regularly.

From all that at this point it doesn't look like anyone knew his other symptoms frequent urination, constant thirst, and lethargy. Which means only Jay knew it. If you don't know about the other red flags how in hell do you expect anyone to even have inclination that he had diabetes?

You need watch the garbage with blond criticism. My wife is a beautiful blond and she is by NO MEANS dumb or oblivious. In fact my wife has a Bachelors in Elementary Education and she just completed her Masters degree in Reading Curriculum and Instruction.

Finally pointing fingers and saying people should be fired is judgemental and reckless especially if you have NOTHING more to go on.

Simple Jaded
05-02-2008, 06:16 PM
"Here are the most common symptoms:

Increased urination

You also usually feel tired, dizzy, headachy, and get blurred vision- how he made it through the rest of the season is beyond me".---Dr Hnida

Kinda puts playing a game with a torn ACL into perspective......

Broncoschic7
05-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Everything seems to happen in life for a reason. In the articles I've read Jay is already talking about the kids, diabetes charities/foundation etc. He seems to be a good guy from a small town in Indiana.... The Good Lord willing he will prosper as a quarterback and give other kids out there hope in that just because you have a disease or illness you still can keep on chuggin in life. God Bless Jay!!!

honz
05-02-2008, 06:29 PM
"Here are the most common symptoms:

Increased urination

You also usually feel tired, dizzy, headachy, and get blurred vision- how he made it through the rest of the season is beyond me".---Dr Hnida

Kinda puts playing a game with a torn ACL into perspective......
Cutler = Stud

hamrob
05-02-2008, 07:58 PM
As much testing as they do during the combine etc. You think they would have discovered this before the 2006 draft. I hope he's o.k. You never know how a body is going to react to treatment. We'll see! Definitely not good news!

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 08:15 PM
As much testing as they do during the combine etc. You think they would have discovered this before the 2006 draft. I hope he's o.k. You never know how a body is going to react to treatment. We'll see! Definitely not good news!

This is recent development it's not something that has been going on since 2006.

Brand
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Good God. I'd die.

If you did the other, you would a little earlier than normal.....

Lonestar
05-02-2008, 08:22 PM

Since Type 1 can occur at any time, but is most often found early in kids. I suspect no one had an idea about it during the draft.

I do not know to what degree they poke and prod them during the medical procedures. I do know one guy complained about getting three different MRI and it was hell for him as he is claustrophobic.

I'm sure they test for drugs whether that entails a blood test or not I'm not sure..

Sounds like it started sometime last year.. From his description of it, it was something he had not exprienced before....

scott.475
05-02-2008, 09:09 PM
And keep in mind, blood tests are not a one size fits all thing. In general, they are specific to what you are testing for. So, while they might do blood tests during pre-draft testing, I can see absolutely no reason they would test for diabetes, anymore than I can see they would test for leukemia. These are things that would probably already be known, so why test for them? You could honestly test them for every known disease, but that does not mean something won't creep up tomorrow.

About the Broncos organization not being able to somehow divine that he had diabetes, here is the scenario. Football players that want to play don't complain, ok? This is instilled from the time they are young. You play through being tired, being sore, being hurt, being cold, being hot, and so on. Jay is a motivated professional, so even though he may have been feeling tired, thirsty, etc, I am sure he was putting on a good front for the team so they did not think he was wimping out. I remember seeing him talk about being a little worn out and losing weight, and thinking it was just because of the increased rigors of the NFL. It is only in hindsight that all of these things seem obvious, but they sure didn't at the time.

As another example: A little over 2 years ago my Dad had a lung removed in the hopes of saving him from cancer. Unfortunately, the chemo, radiation, and lung removal did not work, and the cancer is doing its thing. But, if he gets visitors, he is able to put on a brave front, sit upright with energy, move around, etc, all because he does not want people to treat him like he is sick and doesn't want to have a "sick house". If my 60 year old, one lunged, cancer stricken Dad make that kind of show for people, then 24 year old, professional athlete Jay Cutler can.

People need to lighten up. These things happen, and it is no ones fault that he wasn't diagnosed earlier.

Lonestar
05-02-2008, 09:45 PM
And keep in mind, blood tests are not a one size fits all thing. In general, they are specific to what you are testing for. So, while they might do blood tests during pre-draft testing, I can see absolutely no reason they would test for diabetes, anymore than I can see they would test for leukemia. These are things that would probably already be known, so why test for them? You could honestly test them for every known disease, but that does not mean something won't creep up tomorrow.

About the Broncos organization not being able to somehow divine that he had diabetes, here is the scenario. Football players that want to play don't complain, ok? This is instilled from the time they are young. You play through being tired, being sore, being hurt, being cold, being hot, and so on. Jay is a motivated professional, so even though he may have been feeling tired, thirsty, etc, I am sure he was putting on a good front for the team so they did not think he was wimping out. I remember seeing him talk about being a little worn out and losing weight, and thinking it was just because of the increased rigors of the NFL. It is only in hindsight that all of these things seem obvious, but they sure didn't at the time.

As another example: A little over 2 years ago my Dad had a lung removed in the hopes of saving him from cancer. Unfortunately, the chemo, radiation, and lung removal did not work, and the cancer is doing its thing. But, if he gets visitors, he is able to put on a brave front, sit upright with energy, move around, etc, all because he does not want people to treat him like he is sick and doesn't want to have a "sick house". If my 60 year old, one lunged, cancer stricken Dad make that kind of show for people, then 24 year old, professional athlete Jay Cutler can.

People need to lighten up. These things happen, and it is no ones fault that he wasn't diagnosed earlier.

Perhaps your right here but I still think someone had to have noticed how much weight he lost that is like 15% or so of his weight.

I would have thought the QB coach or when they were watching film or in the showers some one had to notice.. Like I said before 32 pounds is 2 inches or more off the stomach. If he had a low fat content to start with the conditioning guy should have seen it.. In the loss of strength and reps he would have been doing..

Someone had to have noticed or they need a new staff.. IMO

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I not sure so many think that Cutler was show symptoms of this disease when draft that's just not accurate. The symptoms did start manifesting themselves until this year.

And it's illogical to cast blame on the medical staff because they have to know more than just that he lost weight. Heck there isn't anything that says that they even knew. Here's the last article I could find from the DP online. Don't get me wrong I am not criticizing Jay in the least but medical staff wasn't aware of the symptoms because didn't say anything how does a doctor make diagnosis? It's not going happen.

Finally they did not see a noticable drop off in his strength. Jay reconized it but he didn't say anything.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9132575

Cutler showed diabetes symptoms during 2007 season
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 05/02/2008 06:45:52 PM MDT

Cutler diagnosed with diabetes Cutler's type of diabetes is the rarer Statistically, Jay Cutler was off to one of the best starts by an NFL quarterback in history.

Given the undetected drop in physical strength he went through during the latter part of his first full season in 2007, Cutler's early performance to date is remarkable beyond stats.

During his press conference today to address his recent diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes, Cutler said he showed up at training camp last year weighing 238 pounds and played his last game at around 203.

Don't blame the Broncos' medical team. They can't treat what they can't evaluate. As he gradually shed some 35 pounds, Cutler never reported any problem.

"Looking back on it I probably should have," he said. "I don't like doctors. I don't like trainers. I tried to stay away from them as much as possible. Looking back, there was some throws where I didn't have a lot of pop behind it. I was able to go out and perform but I just wasn't energetic, I was tired. After games I was completely wiped out. And some games I didn't do a whole lot. There was just something wrong."

In his 21-game career, Cutler has completed 62.6 percent of his passes for nearly 4,500 yards with 29 touchdowns, 19 interceptions and an 88.2 passer rating. Not bad for someone who was struggling through the early symptoms of Type 1 diabetes, a condition makes him insulin dependent. Cutler said was diagnosed with the disease on April 15 or 16th.

He has since been taking insulin injections about four or five times a day and said his weight is back up to 220. Several Type 1 diabetic athletes have enjoyed productive careers, including former NFL quarterback Wade Wilson, who played 18 seasons and was a Pro Bowler for Minnesota in 1988.

Cutler said he would have to monitor his condition before, after and even during games as physical activity tends to lower blood-sugar levels. But the condition is manageable and after a while becomes part of a person's daily routine.

"I'm going to be fine," he said. "Obviously, this is a serious, serious disease and I'm going to have it for the rest of my life. It's not going to affect me on the field. I'm going to make some lifestyle changes but I'll be a better quarterback this year than I was last year."

Cutler's foundation has already began to direct its efforts towards benefiting the Dedicated to Diabetes research effort.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

WARHORSE
05-02-2008, 11:40 PM
I spoke out earlier this year about this video when I saw Cutler. His weight loss is obvious.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=2589&type=broncosTV&year=2008&month=4

broncosfanscott
05-02-2008, 11:51 PM
Well this sucks for Jay. The good news is that it is treatable and hopefully he will be fine to be able to handle the physical demands of football. I am glad that they caught it early.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Well this sucks for Jay. The good news is that it is treatable and hopefully he will be fine to be able to handle the physical demands of football. I am glad that they caught it early.

There have been other football players that have had the disease and still productive careers so I think as long as he takes care of himself he should be fine.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I spoke out earlier this year about this video when I saw Cutler. His weight loss is obvious.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=2589&type=broncosTV&year=2008&month=4

You're right you can tell he was very thin. Look at the video from May 2nd and you can tell he's regain some of the weight loss.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 01:52 AM

If you noticed it why didn't the medical staff, his QB coach his OC or his HC see it.. They were a lot closer to him than you were..

Losing 15+% of your body weight over season may not seem to some to be out of line. But it should have been a Red flag to those that pay attention, to these things..

One does not have to have a medical degree to SEE something was not right..

Oh Jay did not say anything to anyone.. DUH it is their job to evaluate and ask questions IF something does not look right.. Did any of the receivers comment about the zip on the ball or lack thereof. When they warmed up or conditioning someone needs to be watching.

Some folks are making excuses here for obvious failures.. IMO

broncohead
05-03-2008, 02:27 AM
If you noticed it why didn't the medical staff, his QB coach his OC or his HC see it.. They were a lot closer to him than you were..

Losing 15+% of your body weight over season may not seem to some to be out of line. But it should have been a Red flag to those that pay attention, to these things..

Oh Jay did not say anything to anyone.. DUH it is their job to evaluate and ask questions IF something does not look right.. Did any of the receivers comment about the zip on the ball or lack thereof. When they warmed up or conditioning someone needs to be watching.

So Jay should blame the training staff for not knowing? No one is to blame. It's apart of life. If it doesn't take a medical degree then why didn't Jay say something? It would seem that your trying to say Jay should blame the training staff. Thats not right.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 06:02 AM
So Jay should blame the training staff for not knowing? No one is to blame. It's apart of life. If it doesn't take a medical degree then why didn't Jay say something? It would seem that your trying to say Jay should blame the training staff. Thats not right.

They see players lose significant amounts weight throughout the coarse of the season. Here's a second year quarterback in his first full season of starting that's a lot stress right there plus the fact the team was struggling. This also assuming they knew he had lost that much weight.

If he didn't reveal anyone else any of the other symptoms it's hard to be alerted to the possibility that he might have diabetes.

There is no reason to blame anyone and suggest that people should be fired or even blame Jay even though it's own body.

WTE
05-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Jay has a Bachelors degree from Vanderbilt so he's obviously a smart guy.

I'm sure he will be diligent with the insulin treatments and have a long and distinguished career.

Best wishes to you Jay. :salute:

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 09:53 AM

Some with a medical degree that SEES athletes all the time and SEES weight loss due to stress of the job and physical demands is going know twice as much as some hasn't EVER SEEN nor will ever SEE an athlete as a medical professional has no business making any kind of snap judgement. They aren't qualified for diddly and that's not opinion that's a fact.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/jay.cutler.diabetes.2.715216.html

Cutler Says He Should Have Seen Warning Signs

Jay Cutler realizes he should have recognized something was wrong last season when lost 35 pounds and some zip on his famous fastballs.

"I had no energy," the Denver Broncos' third-year quarterback said Friday. "We thought it might be stress and the grind of going through a whole season. But once I got back here and started working out again, I just wasn't making any improvement. I wasn't getting any stronger. I was still losing weight."

Routine blood tests that are required before players participate in the team's offseason strength and conditioning program revealed the answer: His sugars were about five times higher than normal.

The 25-year-old quarterback met with doctors last month, who told him he's an insulin-dependent diabetic. He got a crash course in the disease and its ramifications if uncontrolled.

"It's a little overwhelming to get that news and realize you're going to have to completely change your life," said Cutler, who accepted his fate after a few days.

"It's not something that's going to go away," Cutler said. "It's something I'm going to have to deal with my entire life and you've got to come to grips with that."

He said he never worried about his career being in jeopardy.

"No. That's the first thing they said to me: 'It's going to affect your lifestyle a little bit, but you'll be able to continue to play football,"' Cutler said. "I'm not the first athlete to get diabetes and I won't be the last."

Other professional athletes who dealt with diabetes and had successful careers include NFL quarterback Wade Wilson; tennis stars Arthur Ashe and Billie Jean King, Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr., NHL star Bobby Clarke, baseball Hall of Famer Ty Cobb and boxing greats Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Robinson.

As long as Cutler manages his disease through exercise, medication and diet, there's no medical reason he wouldn't be able to continue performing at the NFL level. He'll have to monitor his blood glucose levels during games and drink some Gatorade if his sugars drop too low or take a shot of insulin if they skyrocket.

"I've got a lot of people watching me," Cutler said. "It's not going to affect me on the field. I'm going to make changes off the field, eating and stuff like that."

About 21 million Americans have diabetes, meaning their bodies cannot properly turn blood sugar into energy. Either they don't produce enough insulin or don't use it correctly. With the Type 1 form that Cutler has, the body's immune system attacks insulin-producing pancreatic cells, so that patients require insulin injections to survive. It usually, but not always, strikes in childhood.

The 6-foot-3 Cutler said he dropped from 238 pounds to 203 by season's end but is back up to 220 since beginning insulin injections after he was diagnosed last month.

"I've felt great. I've felt 100 times better," he said. "Just a difference now and four, five weeks ago is tremendous. It's hard to explain what you feel like when your levels are at 400, 500, it's different. You don't have any energy, you don't really want to do anything, you sleep a lot. It's tough to deal with."

Cutler said he had all the classic signs of diabetes: unexplained weight loss, frequent urination, constant thirst, lack of energy. Without a family history of the disease, though, he never suspected that was the culprit.

Cutler, the 11th pick in the 2006 draft, threw for nearly 3,500 yards and 20 touchdowns last season but the Broncos missed the playoffs for a second straight year. It was obvious as the season wore on that his arm strength wasn't what it was his rookie year, when he started the final five weeks of the season.

"I'm not going to blame it on that, but thinking back, there were some throws that didn't have a lot on them," Cutler said. "I was able to go out and perform, I just wasn't that energetic. I was tired. After the games, I was completely wiped out. Some games I didn't do a whole lot. There was something wrong."

In the weight room, he couldn't lift as much, and when he and teammates Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler gathered in Atlanta over the winter to work out together, Cutler said there were times he couldn't get out of bed in the morning he was so exhausted.

"They would ask me what was up and I would say, 'I don't know. I'm just so tired,"' Cutler recalled. When he went back to campus to visit friends at Vanderbilt, they, too, wondered what was wrong: "I was pale, I was skinny, I couldn't run. It was pretty dramatic."

Now, he feels like a million bucks and he's eager to get into practices and exhibitions to see how his body reacts and how he can keep his blood sugars in control during competition.

As for his changes in diet, no more eating, as he put it, "anything and everything."

"It's a big adjustment," Cutler said. "You're 25 years old, you're used to eating whatever you want, doing whatever you want. If you want to go out to lunch, go ahead and go. Now, you're counting carbs and eating healthier and injecting insulin at the table. You've got to have your insulin, your needles, your glucose meter, yeah, it's a big change. But it's something you have to deal with."

Eating less fast food is a silver lining to his diagnosis, said Cutler, who is looking into getting an insulin pump in the next month and plans to expand his charity work to include juvenile diabetes.

He also wants fans to know he's going to be all right.

"This is a serious, serious disease, and I'm going to have it for the rest of my life," Cutler said. "It's not going to change me on the field. I'm going to have some lifestyle changes, but I'm probably going to be a better quarterback this year than I was last year."

Kapaibro
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
The sky is falling the sky is falling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone head for the bunkers

Stop drop and roll

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 01:11 PM

I saying that if a laymen can notice a dramatic loss of weight those close to the situation should be able to see it and ask Jay what is wrong. It is their job afterall..

If Jay says I do not know then someone should have raised a flag. This is not like he is not THE STAR of the team. The franchise QB.. if some scrub on the bubble has something like this happen perhaps if could fall through the cracks..

With all of the worries in the NFL about illegal drugs, the tests and such.. IF this team does not have its radar up and running after this something is WRONG.

I used to notice weight loss of folks in my old offices and we did not have showers. I'm sure that it was obvious to most of those that was closest to him that something was not right. The receiver noticing there was less ZIP on the ball. Those that lift with him those that work with him in the weight room.

32 pounds is a lot of weight NO normal player loses that much weight during the season Perhaps some of the fatties up front, but he was not to my knowledge a fatty.

When I lived in LA my company used the same doctors as the LA RAMS did. We used to go to there facility to have our physicals stress test etc.. The sophistication 20+ years ago knew almost to the ounce what the fat content of the body had on it.. If they could do this for Executives I know that they are watching the players. It is what they are paid to do..

Folks someone dropped the ball last fall. Who I do not know, but someone did.. This kind of wieght loss for a fit person should not have BEEN, NOT noticed..

scott.475
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Run away! Run away!

http://www.geocities.com/televisioncity/4766/film/hg/allappre.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2l0xYc8zXvw

Simple Jaded
05-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Run away! Run away!

http://www.geocities.com/televisioncity/4766/film/hg/allappre.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2l0xYc8zXvw

I FAAAAAARRT in your general direction!...:D...

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 03:15 PM
:focus: :salute:

BroncoWave
05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
:focus: :salute:

Really? Because I thought the topic of this thread was Cutler having diabetes, not the ineptitude of the Broncos training staff! :D

Davii
05-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Really? Because I thought the topic of this thread was Cutler having diabetes, not the ineptitude of the Broncos training staff! :D

It is. But it raises serious questions about the medical staff.

Kapaibro
05-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Okay, back on topic

Oh noesssssssssss

Cutler has teh diabeetus, the world is ending, the Broncos are cursed, the sky is falling, bring back Jake, stop drop roll, we are doomed, the Raiders will beat us, eeeeekkkkeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk

Thnikkaman
05-03-2008, 03:33 PM
It is. But it raises serious questions about the medical staff.

Eh. I think you are putting more into this than it deserves.

First of all, type 1 diabeties rarely manifests itself in someone Cutler's age. I am sure that they were doing MRIs or other tests to find out if he had cancer or something else that would cause rapid weight loss.

Second, the medical staff of any professional sports team is more concerned with physical trauma, not a desease like type 1 diabeties.

Finally, the medical staff is concerned with the physical well being of 53 players on staff that are likely seeing them often for help with muscle pain, tendon pain, etc...

I know its the offseason, and you need something to complain about, but I think you are wasting too much energy on this one.

Kapaibro
05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Oh, I forgot

Fire Shanny, fire the doctor, fire everyone, sign whathisname and thingamebob!

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 04:22 PM

First of all, type 1 diabetes rarely manifests itself in someone Cutler's age. I am sure that they were doing MRIs or other tests to find out if he had cancer or something else that would cause rapid weight loss.

Second, the medical staff of any professional sports team is more concerned with physical trauma, not a disease like type 1 diabetes.

Finally, the medical staff is concerned with the physical well being of 53 players on staff that are likely seeing them often for help with muscle pain, tendon pain, etc...

I know its the off season, and you need something to complain about, but I think you are wasting too much energy on this one.

It certainly isn't something they would be looking for, so that doesn't mean they are incompetent.

Some folks think they know what goes on inside locker room when they have never been inside a pro locker room.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 04:26 PM

First of all, type 1 diabeties rarely manifests itself in someone Cutler's age. I am sure that they were doing MRIs or other tests to find out if he had cancer or something else that would cause rapid weight loss.

Second, the medical staff of any professional sports team is more concerned with physical trauma, not a desease like type 1 diabeties.

I know its the offseason, and you need something to complain about, but I think you are wasting too much energy on this one.

Yet who is the franchise QB one of those 53 probably the one that everyone should be watching.. It is not just the doctors or trainers that are hands on body types. Do they weigh periodically I suspect he did not lose all this weight in one or two weeks and IF he did all the more curious who if anyone is paying attention to details..

Let me try one more time.

How many folks interact with Jay in a day each week?

I'd guess:
trainer
QB coach
HC
OC
Center
each WR
each TE,
each RB.

Most of the folks that get deal directly with him in the offense, taking hand offs, receiving passes, being in the huddle, working in the training center, setting on film sessions.

Probably every player on offense, almost every coach. I'd guess that Pat, Ted and most of the FO staff sees the kid at least once a week. Most of them would not know of it, but all of them would have seen 35 pounds of weight had they been paying attention.. Try taking 15% of your body weights off and see if someone does not notice. OR even 35 pounds..

Is this indicative of something else not happening in Dove Valley?

Kapaibro
05-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Cancer? WTF?

It has been clearly stated that the diabetes was discovered during routine blood tests before preseason training.

Type 1 diabetes manifests itself in people of any age, and NOT children as previously believed. Good example, my step sister developed it at age 41, after a totally healthy childhood and life.

Type 1 diabetes (formerly known as "childhood", "juvenile" or "insulin-dependent" diabetes) is not exclusively a childhood problem: the adult incidence of Type 1 is noteworthy — many adults who contract Type 1 diabetes are misdiagnosed with Type 2 due to the misconception of Type 1 as a disease of children — and since there is no cure, Type 1 diabetic children will grow up to be Type 1 diabetic adults.

Type 1 Diabetes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus_type_1)

Kapaibro
05-03-2008, 04:42 PM
Yes it can affect anyone in any age group however, it most commonly found in children and young adults hence its vernacular name juvenile diabetes.

Which it is NO LONGER called, as this is misleading.

BUt for god's sake, could people stop acting like Chicken Fricking Little?

This is good for Jay. He KNOWS why he lost weight, why he felt lethargic, and now he knows how to avoid this happening again.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 05:06 PM
if everyone will stop making excuses for why no one it is at fault ..

My posts stop.. if not.

Not all of us are born with orange lenses in our glasses.. We all do not believe everything that mikeys utters.. At least I do not anymore..

Please feel free to place me on IGGY..

NameUsedBefore
05-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Yet who is the franchise QB one of those 53 probably the one that everyone should be watching.. It is not just the doctors or trainers that are hands on body types. Do they weigh periodically I suspect he did not lose all this weight in one or two weeks and IF he did all the more curious who if anyone is paying attention to details..

Let me try one more time.

How many folks interact with Jay in a day each week?

I'd guess:
trainer
QB coach
HC
OC
Center
each WR
each TE,
each RB.

Most of the folks that get deal directly with him in the offense, taking hand offs, receiving passes, being in the huddle, working in the training center, setting on film sessions.

Probably every player on offense, almost every coach. I'd guess that Pat, Ted and most of the FO staff sees the kid at least once a week. Most of them would not know of it, but all of them would have seen 35 pounds of weight had they been paying attention.. Try taking 15% of your body weights off and see if someone does not notice. OR even 35 pounds..

Is this indicative of something else not happening in Dove Valley?

No. A lot of players lose a ton of weight over the course of a season. I even remember some article about this a few years ago pertaining to running-backs shedding weight over the season (was about Clinton Portis I think). It's not entirely uncommon especially for players getting their first full season done. Then you add in that type-1 diabetes isn't the most common of diseases to get this far into your life or that Jay didn't reveal he was feeling lethargic and this one definitely came out of left field. Can't really blame the medical staff, IMO.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 05:22 PM
No. A lot of players lose a ton of weight over the course of a season. I even remember some article about this a few years ago pertaining to running-backs shedding weight over the season (was about Clinton Portis I think). It's not entirely uncommon especially for players getting their first full season done. Then you add in that type-1 diabetes isn't the most common of diseases to get this far into your life or that Jay didn't reveal he was feeling lethargic and this one definitely came out of left field. Can't really blame the medical staff, IMO.

If I remember correctly Portis said he went from 195lbs to about 174lbs by season's end.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 05:26 PM

My posts stop.. if not.

Not all of us are born with orange lenses in our glasses.. We all do not believe everything that mikeys utters.. At least I do not anymore..

What does this have to do with Shanahan? He hasn't said anything publicly that I'm aware. So far only Jay and his publicist have spoken about it. Now instead of making this about Shanahan let's keep on the subject at hand shall we? :coffee:

Kapaibro
05-03-2008, 05:52 PM

My posts stop.. if not.

Could you at least start making informed posts about diabetes?

From the sounds of it, Jay himself is partially to blame. A guy feels lethargic, and loses 30 odd pounds and doesn't tell anyone?

Strange fact, doctors are not psychic!!! They can't ACTUALLY diagnose someone without examining them!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

BroncoWave
05-03-2008, 05:53 PM

My posts stop.. if not.

Sorry JR, not everyone is perfect like you. People make mistakes. There could have been a million reasons Cutler lost weight last season and diabetes probably wasn't very high on that list. I realize you feel the need to blame someone every time something bad happens with the Broncos but shit happens. You don't HAVE to take the negative point of view on every single little thing that happens with the Broncos. You can call it us making excuses but I call it giving the benefit of the doubt to people who are much more skilled in that field than you or I will ever be.

kcvet
05-03-2008, 06:01 PM
wow. this just popped up on my ISP main page. he should be ok. I found this article from the American diabetes association on type 1.
link (link)

Finding out you have diabetes is scary. But don't panic. Type 1 diabetes is serious, but people with diabetes can live long, healthy, happy lives.

seems to me we had a TE here years ago that had it. name eludes me. but he played fine with it. my mother has it. it is inherited. so I wonder if its in Cutlers family???? im checked for it every year.

the pancreas
This organ has two functions. It serves as a ducted gland, secreting digestive enzymes into the small intestine. The pancreas also serves as a ductless gland in that the islets of Langerhans secrete insulin and glucagon to regulate the blood sugar level. The -islet cells secrete glucagon, which tells the liver to take carbohydrate out of storage to raise a low blood sugar level. The -islet cells secrete insulin to tell the liver to take excess glucose out of circulation to lower a blood sugar level that’s too high. If a person’s body does not make enough insulin (and/or there is a reduced response of the target cells in the liver), the blood sugar rises, perhaps out of control, and we say that the person has diabetes mellitus.

the pancreas are a part of thr ednocrine system.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Sorry JR, not everyone is perfect like you. People make mistakes. There could have been a million reasons Cutler lost weight last season and diabetes probably wasn't very high on that list. I realize you feel the need to blame someone every time something bad happens with the Broncos but shit happens. You don't HAVE to take the negative point of view on every single little thing that happens with the Broncos. You can call it us making excuses but I call it giving the benefit of the doubt to people who are much more skilled in that field than you or I will ever be.

You hit it right on the money BTB. There staff is train to be looking of sports related health issues diabetes isn't something you're going to be looking for when a player has lost weight.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 06:05 PM
wow. this just popped up on my ISP main page. he should be ok. I found this article from the American diabetes association on type 1.
link (link)

seems to me we had a TE here years ago that had it. name eludes me. but he played fine with it. my mother has it. it is inherited. so I wonder if its in Cutlers family???? im checked for it every year.

the pancreas are a part of the endocrine system.

Jay said in an interview yesterday that he's not aware any family history of diabetes.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Could you at least start making informed posts about diabetes?

From the sounds of it, Jay himself is partially to blame. A guy feels lethargic, and loses 30 odd pounds and doesn't tell anyone?

Strange fact, doctors are not psychic!!! They can't ACTUALLY diagnose someone without examining them!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Lets try this again..

It is not like Jay is the night janitor, hundreds of folks see him daily around Dove valley. Is that a good premise?

Over half of the team interacts with him daily, all at least weekly.. Can you really believe that NO ONE mentioned the fact that he has lost alot to weight.. Believe me losing 32 pounds off a frame that is not fat means clothes fit much differently, his uniform would have been somewhat different in how is fits.. Pads might have been looser.

The trainers that tape him up before practices..

The water boy might even have noticed he was drinking more than normal..

The WR probably noticed not as much zip on the ball..

DID no one raise their hand in the last part of the year?

It sounded like this started in the latter part of the season IF it did it would have been just that much more dramatic of a change..

Who was ultimately to blame Jay of course.. He has been playing football for probably close to two decades he should know his body..

But If I were Pat knowing that I have a ton of money invested in JAY and NO one noticed all of or what it appears ANY of the issues that shout there is a problem.. Well I'd be looking hard and long at what else is being missed.. Color me concerned on wasting money!
Color me concerned about losing an investment!

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 07:11 PM

yes everyone make mistake no doubt about ti but this organization should have checks and balances in it.. Every good one does that has more than one person in the business and then there are outside sources such as CPA's bankers and lawyer to advise them..

IF any player loses that much weight and PLEASE do not tell me no one was taking periodic checks on it. If they were not then someone is grossly negligent IMO..

Just a loss of weight is a red flag someone should be checking to see if they have mono, STD, the FLU a cold. Hundreds of things could cause it. Sure stres of a long season should cause folks to lose some weight but gang 35 pounds is alot more than some..

But it might trigger some one to say HEY Jay your losing weight, how are you feeling? Did anyone do this with this multimillion dollar investment?

He might reply I'm tired, don't seem to have the zip on the ball I used to have..

Do you think that someone may have run a blood test to see it he needed Geritol..

The reason I say all of this is my daughter was great athlete in HS.. Her coaches noticed when she was not on stride. They were always asking her how she felt..

If she was not right we went to the doctor. most of the time it was just a B12 shot in the ass. But one time one of them asked "do you know anyone that has had mono?"

Sure enough a few weeks before she had been exposed to a gal that took a drink off her Gatorade bottle..

Simple question that lead to a cure..

Do you really believe that no one asked him simple questions and put two and two together? That there was something wrong!! Which there was..

Lets hope that something like this will cause folks to learn and set up safe guards so it will not happen again..

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Lets try this again..

It is not like Jay is the night janitor, hundreds of folks see him daily around Dove valley. Is that a good premise?

Over half of the team interacts with him daily, all at least weekly.. Can you really believe that NO ONE mentioned the fact that he has lost alot to weight.. Believe me losing 32 pounds off a frame that is not fat means clothes fit much differently, his uniform would have been somewhat different in how is fits.. Pads might have been looser.

The trainers that tape him up before practices..

The water boy might even have noticed he was drinking more than normal..

The WR probably noticed not as much zip on the ball..

DID no one raise their hand in the last part of the year?

It sounded like this started in the latter part of the season IF it did it would have been just that much more dramatic of a change..

Who was ultimately to blame Jay of course.. He has been playing football for probably close to two decades he should know his body..

But If I were Pat knowing that I have a ton of money invested in JAY and NO one noticed all of or what it appears ANY of the issues that shout there is a problem.. Well I'd be looking hard and long at what else is being missed.. Color me concerned on wasting money!
Color me concerned about losing an investment!

You either didn't see this article I posted or you ignored so I'll re post it. Mat not of the fact the weight loss was gradual according to the article and that no one else noticed any drop off in his strength.

Now I gather from this last of yours all Broncos personnel from water boy to the players on the field are suppose medically savvy enough to realize that Jay's weight loss was due to disease and not the stress and the rigors of playing in the NFL.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Cutler diagnosed with diabetes Cutler's type of diabetes is the rarer Statistically, Jay Cutler was off to one of the best starts by an NFL quarterback in history.

Given the undetected drop in physical strength he went through during the latter part of his first full season in 2007, Cutler's early performance to date is remarkable beyond stats.

During his press conference today to address his recent diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes, Cutler said he showed up at training camp last year weighing 238 pounds and played his last game at around 203.

Don't blame the Broncos' medical team. They can't treat what they can't evaluate. As he gradually shed some 35 pounds, Cutler never reported any problem.

"Looking back on it I probably should have," he said. "I don't like doctors. I don't like trainers. I tried to stay away from them as much as possible. Looking back, there was some throws where I didn't have a lot of pop behind it. I was able to go out and perform but I just wasn't energetic, I was tired. After games I was completely wiped out. And some games I didn't do a whole lot. There was just something wrong."

In his 21-game career, Cutler has completed 62.6 percent of his passes for nearly 4,500 yards with 29 touchdowns, 19 interceptions and an 88.2 passer rating. Not bad for someone who was struggling through the early symptoms of Type 1 diabetes, a condition makes him insulin dependent. Cutler said was diagnosed with the disease on April 15 or 16th.

He has since been taking insulin injections about four or five times a day and said his weight is back up to 220. Several Type 1 diabetic athletes have enjoyed productive careers, including former NFL quarterback Wade Wilson, who played 18 seasons and was a Pro Bowler for Minnesota in 1988.

Cutler said he would have to monitor his condition before, after and even during games as physical activity tends to lower blood-sugar levels. But the condition is manageable and after a while becomes part of a person's daily routine.

"I'm going to be fine," he said. "Obviously, this is a serious, serious disease and I'm going to have it for the rest of my life. It's not going to affect me on the field. I'm going to make some lifestyle changes but I'll be a better quarterback this year than I was last year."

Cutler's foundation has already began to direct its efforts towards benefiting the Dedicated to Diabetes research effort.

kcvet
05-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Jay said in an interview yesterday that he's not aware any family history of diabetes.

yeah I just pulled it up on nfl.com. its a major lifestyle change. no matter what age. he'll be on a new diet. most primary's refer this to an endocrinologist. thats his/her speciality. or their money maker. their more qualified here then anyone.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 07:37 PM
You either didn't see this article I posted or you ignored so I'll re post it. Mat not of the fact the weight loss was gradual according to the article and that no one else noticed any drop off in his strength.

Now I gather from this last of yours all Broncos personnel from water boy to the players on the field are suppose medically savvy enough to realize that Jay's weight loss was due to disease and not the stress and the rigors of playing in the NFL.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

I saw the article I've noted the parts that I keyed on the ones that jumped off the screen at me..

Why did no one else notice this? broncos have paid professionals to watch V-tape, work them out in the training room, tape them talk to him..

They are paid to know what is going on. They did not know..Plain and simple..

TX someone dropped the ball IMO

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 07:50 PM
I saw the article I've noted the parts that I keyed on the ones that jumped off the screen at me..

Why did no one else notice this? broncos have paid professionals to watch V-tape, work them out in the training room, tape them talk to him..

They are paid to know what is going on. They did not know..Plain and simple..

TX someone dropped the ball IMO

Actually plan and simply you cherry picked it so to support your feeble claim. And only one your cherry picked tidbit comes close supporting your claim accept for the fact you ignored two important words that change the entire sentence.

Plain and simply you're judgemental without knowing any facts.

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Denver Native (Carol)
05-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Whether it would of/should of been detected last year, he still would have it right now, and will have it for the rest of his life. Detecting it last year would not have changed anything.

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Believe what you want I could care less. just because you believe no one should be responsible or should have noticed. Be my guest.

This is how I see things...

Not living in DEN I do not get to see all of the local talk shows so I am at somewhat a disadvantage..

But there is something wrong in Dove valley, if you do not notice your franchise QB has dropped 35 pounds and do not ask question on WHY..

I do not believe that it was all the gradual either it sounds like he notice a dropped off in the latter part of the season.. If this is so, then it really means something stinks in Dove valley..

You will not convince me other wise..

BroncoWave
05-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Believe what you want I could care less. just because you believe no one should be responsible or should have noticed. Be my guest.

This is how I see things...

Not living in DEN I do not get to see all of the local talk shows so I am at somewhat a disadvantage..

But there is something wrong in Dove valley, if you do not notice your franchise QB has dropped 35 pounds and do not ask question on WHY..

I do not believe that it was all the gradual either it sounds like he notice a dropped off in the latter part of the season.. If this is so, then it really means something stinks in Dove valley..

You will not convince me other wise...

Nor will you convince anyone else. :coffee:

Lonestar
05-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Nor will you convince anyone else. :coffee:

nor am I, trying to just putting out he facts as I see them..

perhaps somewhere down the road some will take off the Orange colored glasses and stop drinking the koolade and think..

perhaps NOT..

BroncoWave
05-03-2008, 09:32 PM

perhaps somewhere down the road some will take off the Orange colored glasses and stop drinking the koolade and think..

perhaps NOT..

This has nothing to do with orange colored glasses. I criticize Broncos coaches and players quite often myself. I just don't think this is a situation in which they deserve criticism. Shit happens. It is what it is.

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 11:53 PM

perhaps NOT..

You put out an opinion not a fact.

Now if you can't help yourself go ahead and have the last word you still wont be convincing many other nor will make any less wrong.

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 12:03 AM
You put out an opinion not a fact.

Now if you can't help yourself go ahead and have the last word you still wont be convincing many other nor will make any less wrong.

lets see thes seem to be facts I have pointed out please note the hilited parts..

NOT my Opinions at all..

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Cutler said he would have to monitor his condition before, after and even during games as physical activity tends to lower blood-sugar levels. But the condition is manageable and aftera while becomes part of a person's daily routine.

Kapaibro
05-04-2008, 03:35 AM
lets see thes seem to be facts I have pointed out please note the hilited parts..

NOT my Opinions at all..

By Mike Klis
The Denver Post

Cutler said he would have to monitor his condition before, after and even during games as physical activity tends to lower blood-sugar levels. But the condition is manageable and aftera while becomes part of a person's daily routine.

I highlighted the bits you refused to acknowledge!

Weight loss undetected.

Cutler not telling doctors how he felt.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again

DOCTORS ARE NOT PSYCHIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You actually have to give them an idea that you are feeling bad to give them something to work with. If he'd just ONCE said, "Hey, I've lost a bit of weight, and I feel tired a lot" you can bet your arse they'd have run a full battery of tests.

BUT HE DIDN'T

And it's not like he lost the weight overnight, he lost it gradually. Many players have stated that they lose weight over a season.

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Weight loss undetected.

You actually have to give them an idea that you are feeling bad to give them something to work with. If he'd just ONCE said, "Hey, I've lost a bit of weight, and I feel tired a lot" you can bet your arse they'd have run a full battery of tests.

BUT HE DIDN'T

And it's not like he lost the weight overnight, he lost it gradually. Many players have stated that they lose weight over a season.

Kapai, the exact same places you highlighted I also highlighted in the same article.

scott.475
05-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Lets cut every wide receiver that caught passes from Jay both early and late in the season for failing to report the drop in velocity.

Lets cut every lineman that blocked for him for failing to report he didn't seem to be running as fast as normal

Lets cut every player that lifted a weight with him for failing to report his drop in strength.

Lets fire our medical staff for not using their x-ray vision to determine he had diabetes

Lets fire Greek, because he is not one of the best trainers in the league

Lets fire Mike just because he is Mike

Lets force Pat to sell the team for failing to notice the radical drop in his franchise player's performance.

Lets cut Jay for not being completely open and honest about how he was feeling...for not being metrosexual enough.

Finally, lets force an out of state move of the Broncos, so nothing like this will ever happen in Denver again!

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Weight loss undetected.

BUT HE DIDN'T

Sorry but no one will ever convince me that one can lose 35 pounds and it be undetected.. Many players you not lose 35 pounds I'd guess the average weight lose over a year would be more like 15 or so unless they are fatties..

As I have said several time He stated he noticed late in the year he had lost some zip. If that is the case an educated guess is the disease kicked into a higher gear and most of the loss was during that time frame ..

Normal weight loss is something attuned to 2-4 pounds per month in all of the acknowledged weight lose programs.. 35 pounds over 4 maybe 5 months is not..

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Lets cut every wide receiver that caught passes from Jay both early and late in the season for failing to report the drop in velocity.

Lets cut every lineman that blocked for him for failing to report he didn't seem to be running as fast as normal

Lets cut every player that lifted a weight with him for failing to report his drop in strength.

Lets fire our medical staff for not using their x-ray vision to determine he had diabetes

Lets fire Greek, because he is not one of the best trainers in the league

Lets fire Mike just because he is Mike

Lets force Pat to sell the team for failing to notice the radical drop in his franchise player's performance.

Lets cut Jay for not being completely open and honest about how he was feeling...for not being metrosexual enough.

Finally, lets force an out of state move of the Broncos, so nothing like this will ever happen in Denver again!

wow your a tad extreme huh?

All I've been saying is almost everyone you listed above had contact with the kid, most probably noticed the weight loss and as it sounds no one raised a flag..

I find that a bit curious.. I'm guessing that Pat is also asking some of these questions about the time he heard about it. I know as a business man I would have.

Tned
05-04-2008, 12:24 PM
wow your a tad extreme huh?

All I've been saying is almost everyone you listed above had contact with the kid, most probably noticed the weight loss and as it sounds no one raised a flag..

I find that a bit curious.. I'm guessing that Pat is also asking some of these questions about the time he heard about it. I know as a business man I would have.

Cutler said he doesn't like doctors, doesn't like trainers and avoid them at all costs and didn't tell them about any of the symptoms or weight loss.

I am not sure if all players have weekly weigh ins on the Broncos, so if there was even any way (besides looking at him) that that people would recognize he was losing weight.

He already had that baby fat face look, so maybe people thought he was shedding that. Who knows.

Not everyhting in life is some sort of conspiracy or someone screwing up. Sometimes stuff just happens in life and there is no explanation.

frauschieze
05-04-2008, 01:16 PM

My posts stop.. if not.

Hey Jr, no disrespect intended, but no one can put you on ignore because you're a moderator. Just so you're aware.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Great video - hope this has not been posted yet:

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?cid=92

Kapaibro
05-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Sorry but no one will ever convince me that one can lose 35 pounds and it be undetected.. Many players you not lose 35 pounds I'd guess the average weight lose over a year would be more like 15 or so unless they are fatties..

As I have said several time He stated he noticed late in the year he had lost some zip. If that is the case an educated guess is the disease kicked into a higher gear and most of the loss was during that time frame ..

Normal weight loss is something attuned to 2-4 pounds per month in all of the acknowledged weight lose programs.. 35 pounds over 4 maybe 5 months is not..

You're right, this is a huge conspiracy.

All the other owners ganged up and paid the Broncos doctors to give Jay diabetes, and then ignore all the apparently glaringly obvious signs that were painted on him in lime neon paint.
Then they paid Jay to keep his mouth shut about feeling tired, and brainwashed him into believing all doctors are evil and want to steal his mojo.

Now that we have that out of the way.

GET A GRIP PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 03:51 PM

That's where you're wrong. Portis lost over twenty pounds during his rookie season and he doesn't have diabetes.

And again you have no idea of what you're talking about. That 2-4 pounds that you're as a defensive for being judgemental doesn't wash. That's two to four pounds with moderate exercise. Unless you really want to try and tell everyone here that football moderate exercise. So again rigorus daily exercise like what Jay is used too compounded by stress players can land many times do lose tha kind of weight that fast.

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey Jr, no disrespect intended, but no one can put you on ignore because you're a moderator. Just so you're aware.

Wow A CAPTIVE audience What a perk..

Thanks for the info! I learn something new every day..

That said I just got back from from church and I'll sign out of this thread with a passage "Forgive them father, for they know not what they do.."

No aspirations implied whatsoever in that comment..

Lonestar
05-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Great video - hope this has not been posted yet:

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?cid=92

good video I note the doctor talked about him not feeling well in OCT and having blurred vison not being able to see his receivers..

Hmmmm..

broncosfanscott
05-04-2008, 08:46 PM
good video I note the doctor talked about him not feeling well in OCT and having blurred vison not being able to see his receivers..

Hmmmm..

I know. That is very interesting along with the fact that he played through all that shows what a gamer he is and he didn't even know he had diabetes.

Hoshdude7
05-04-2008, 08:56 PM
This could be a good thing. There is no question this will be managed correctly. I mean they have staffs of people on teams whose sole jobs are to rub the cramps out of the players. I've seen 3 trainers start rubbing a kicker's legs because they were cramping. Imagine what they will have for their star QB's disease. The good thing about this, is he will have to eat healthier and exercise more which will make him have more lean muscle.

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 09:41 PM
This could be a good thing. There is no question this will be managed correctly. I mean they have staffs of people on teams whose sole jobs are to rub the cramps out of the players. I've seen 3 trainers start rubbing a kicker's legs because they were cramping. Imagine what they will have for their star QB's disease. The good thing about this, is he will have to eat healthier and exercise more which will make him have more lean muscle.

They wont have him exercise more than he would if he was not insulin dependent. He will have his regular routine.

Broncospsycho77
05-04-2008, 10:02 PM
About this whole "it's so-and-so's fault" charade: Does this even matter?

As of right now, it does no good to blame anyone or anything to the fact that our franchise QB, and a phenomenal person, has diabetes, and not too late either. It doesn't matter who's to blame; the problem has been found, solved, and we can move on. There's nothing that anyone can do about it except Jay, and I have confidence he'll develop into the star we as fans have been dying for all these years.

TXBRONC
05-04-2008, 10:15 PM

As of right now, it does no good to blame anyone or anything to the fact that our franchise QB, and a phenomenal person, has diabetes, and not too late either. It doesn't matter who's to blame; the problem has been found, solved, and we can move on. There's nothing that anyone can do about it except Jay, and I have confidence he'll develop into the star we as fans have been dying for all these years.

That's just it in my mind there is no one to blame for anything. It was caught in time and is now being dealt with.

Kapaibro
05-05-2008, 02:38 AM

Personally, I blame God.

How dare he afflict our fab QB with such a death sentence! :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Personally, I blame God.

How dare he afflict our fab QB with such a death sentence! :rolleyes:

I don't know Kapai, somehow it still has to be Shanahan and the medical staff's fault.

shank
05-05-2008, 08:30 PM
i think it's weird that the warning signs weren't investigated sooner, but am happy that the problem is 'solved.'

i can't wait to see what cutler can do in his 2nd season with his regular strength and energy back! when i think back, the 2nd half of the season did have a lot more interceptions due to a lack of power, as opposed to some of the early season, mistake turnovers.

it's funny that cutler had twice the arm that leinart has even with unregulated type 1 diabetes.

seriously, if he can play at that high of a level with a serious disease, imagine what he'll do with his strength and energy back. tough, motivated guy to play NFL football despite his affliction, i can't make it through a day without a nap!

i think discovering the problem (even if we didn't know there was one last season) instantly made him a better qb, and he still has tons of growing to do.

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
i think it's weird that the warning signs weren't investigated sooner, but am happy that the problem is 'solved.'

i can't wait to see what cutler can do in his 2nd season with his regular strength and energy back! when i think back, the 2nd half of the season did have a lot more interceptions due to a lack of power, as opposed to some of the early season, mistake turnovers.

it's funny that cutler had twice the arm that leinart has even with unregulated type 1 diabetes.

seriously, if he can play at that high of a level with a serious disease, imagine what he'll do with his strength and energy back. tough, motivated guy to play NFL football despite his affliction, i can't make it through a day without a nap!

i think discovering the problem (even if we didn't know there was one last season) instantly made him a better qb, and he still has tons of growing to do.

The only warning sign they knew about was the fact he had lost weight Jay never said anything about the constant thirst, constant urination, and lethargy.

Besides according Jay himself the team had him scheduled to do his annual blood work up at the end of the season but he let other things take priority.

Tned
05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
The only warning sign they knew about was the fact he had lost weight Jay never said anything about the constant thirst, constant urination, and lethargy.

Besides according Jay himself the team had him scheduled to do his annual blood work up at the end of the season but he let other things take priority.

Yes, Jay was a bonehead for not getting it checked out, but then again how many of us have had some symptoms (or a family member had them) and rationalized that it was nothing.

It is amazing that he could lose 35lbs in a season and no real investigation is done, but at the same time I can certainly see him and them rationalizing it as the rigors of the first full season.

Hopefully, they get it under control, he gets his weight up and their plan works.

I will say hearing the Sirius NFL radio guys talking about it this afternoon, and him wearing the insulin pump in practice and stuff, I can say that they seemed to have some question as to how this will effect him.

TXBRONC
05-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Yes, Jay was a bonehead for not getting it checked out, but then again how many of us have had some symptoms (or a family member had them) and rationalized that it was nothing.

It is amazing that he could lose 35lbs in a season and no real investigation is done, but at the same time I can certainly see him and them rationalizing it as the rigors of the first full season.

Hopefully, they get it under control, he gets his weight up and their plan works.

I will say hearing the Sirius NFL radio guys talking about it this afternoon, and him wearing the insulin pump in practice and stuff, I can say that they seemed to have some question as to how this will effect him.

I'm not trying to be critical of Jay at all. I have doubt that if I were given the same set of circumstances I would have rationalized it the same way.

I can understand there being question on how it would work but at the same time other players namely Jay Leeuwenburg was able to make ago of it without the kind of technology that is available today.

Tned
05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm not trying to be critical of Jay at all. I have doubt that if I were given the same set of circumstances I would have rationalized it the same way.

I can understand there being question on how it would work but at the same time other players namely Jay Leeuwenburg was able to make ago of it without the kind of technology that is available today.

Yep, and hopefully this is a wake call (maturity wise) for Jay and he takes it serious. He is saying all the right things.

All things considered, though, I would rather he was the QB we drafted with the rocket arm that DIDN"T have diabetes. It is just a complication. Kind of like, in a perfect world, TD wouldn't have had severe migraine problems, even though he lived with it, and even ran one play more or less blind in the SB while having a migraine.

shank
05-05-2008, 11:15 PM

i don't know how you don't notice lethargy in a professional athlete as a coaching staff...

and he also said that people commented that he just wasn't looking well. i'm just saying it's really strange that a guy who's health and well-being is constantly monitored and very important to an entire city (fanbase) could make it months into type 1 diabetes without revealing symptoms, or that he did, and they somehow got shrugged off. maybe it's a testiment to how tough and hard working jay is. like i said, many would let these symptoms stop everything, but he kept working through it, and will be a better player for it.

sanluis
05-05-2008, 11:24 PM
I am sorry to hear about Jay. It seems like he has the right attitude and is doing all the right things to manage his diabetes. He is going to be fine. The scary thing is just how good a QB will he be now that he has this under control?!!! :D Image having to play with all those symptoms last year?! He should do even better this year. ( dam it!!)

You know I will NOT cut him any slack on Sundays!! :D

tripleoption
05-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Here's an article on other athletes with type I diabetes. Thought it might make an interesting read. :coffee:

Making An Impact
Team Type I wants to win races - and raise diabetes awareness
By Jason Sumner

Lost in the celebration - and recrimination - that followed the 2008 Tour de Georgia was the impressive performance of U.S. domestic peloton newcomer, Team Type I.

While High Road was toasting the surprising overall victory of Belarusian Kanstantsin Sivtsov, and Slipstream-Chipotle was trying to figure out what happened to then-race-leader Trent Lowe during the final critical meters up Brasstown Bald, upstart Team Type I was reveling in an impressive seven-day effort that yielded four top 20 places.

By comparison ProTour powerhouses CSC and Astana had three each, while no other team put more than two riders in the top 20.

Leading the Type I charge was 27-year-old Mexican climbing ace Moises Aldape, who was sixth up Brasstown and was eighth in the final GC. It was a breakthrough performance for a rider who'd spent his previous three seasons racing for the Italian Panaria formation.

"I knew the guy was a solid all around rider, but I had no idea he could kick it like that in the big mountains," said team director Ed Beamon. "I was really impressed."

It's not the first time Aldape has turned heads. In 2006, he figured prominently in a late-race breakaway at the world road championships in Austria, eventually finishing with the main field, just two seconds back of race winner Paolo Bettini. Aldape also started the 2006 Giro d'Italia, riding the grand tour's first 13 stages.

But the Italian bike racing lifestyle can be tough on foreign riders, and Aldape opted for a closer-to-home-and-family set-up in 2008.

"A lot of times foreign riders on Italian teams spend most of their time riding for Italian riders," Beamon explained. "Moises was definitely looking for more personal opportunity."

These ambitions can be traced to the coming Beijing Olympics, where Aldape hopes to be present and sporting Mexican national team kit.

"I won't know for sure until after the Giro d'Italia," Aldape explained of his country's selection process. "But it's nice to at least be thinking about going to the Olympics. I'm really happy with this result [in Georgia], especially with the high caliber of talent that was at this race."

For those unfamiliar with Team Type I and its mission, it's worth taking a step back. Originally founded by former Race Across America winners - and type I diabetics - Joe Eldridge and Phil Southerland, the squad's goal is to create awareness for diabetes.

More than 21 million Americans have diabetes, a condition where one's body does not properly turn blood sugar into energy, an especially detrimental condition for endurance athletes. Sufferers either don't produce enough insulin or don't use it properly. With the Type I form, the body's immune system attacks insulin-producing pancreatic cells meaning patients require insulin injections.

Team Type I's 2008 roster is a combination of proven talent such as Aldape, Jesse Anthony, Glen Chadwick and Matt Wilson, and four type I diabetic riders - Eldridge, Southerland, Kiwi Tim Hargrave and Aussie Fabio Calabri, who was a respectable 59th overall in Georgia.

Besides making his major race debut, Calabri was testing the team's brand new continuous glucose monitor, a device that allows diabetics to track and regulate their blood sugar without the hassles of finger ***** tests and self injections.

During the race Calabri had both a small insulin-injecting pump and a blood sugar-monitoring probe affixed to his back. He carried a wireless PDA-sized blood sugar monitor in his jersey. The three devices interface, allowing Calabri to set alarms for high and low levels, and then make dosage adjustments on the fly.

"It takes all the guess work out of it," explained the cherub-faced 20-year-old. "I was racing before without it, but I had to do a lot of trial and error to figure out where I needed to be."

These on-the-bike applications are just the tip of the proverbial iceberg for this new technology. By providing diabetics with a simple and more precise way to monitor and regulate blood sugar, the devices can help alleviate serious health problems.

"It's hard for a lot of diabetics to get their head wrapped around the idea that if they don't control their sugars on ongoing basis, then later in life they may lose their health, have heart attacks, suffer blindness, require kidney transplants, you name it," explained Type I team physician Dawn Richardson. "But you can prevent all of that by keeping the sugars tightly controlled, and devices like these make that possible."

And that - more than any Tour de Georgia result - is something worth celebrating.

Lonestar
05-06-2008, 12:23 AM
i don't know how you don't notice lethargy in a professional athlete as a coaching staff...

and he also said that people commented that he just wasn't looking well. i'm just saying it's really strange that a guy who's health and well-being is constantly monitored and very important to an entire city (fanbase) could make it months into type 1 diabetes without revealing symptoms, or that he did, and they somehow got shrugged off. maybe it's a testiment to how tough and hard working jay is. like i said, many would let these symptoms stop everything, but he kept working through it, and will be a better player for it.

:salute:

TXBRONC
05-06-2008, 07:22 AM

Because everyone else feeling worn down by that time as well. Jay was talking about after the season over a few of his friends said didn't look right.

Shank the team wanted Jay get his blood work done at the end of the season but he allowed other things to get in the way.

scott.475
05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
I wonder if Philipe and team still feel like the big man on the block for beating a guy who was playing with undiagnosed type 1? Makes his sideline obnoxiousness seem all the more childish, doesn't it?

TXBRONC
05-06-2008, 04:22 PM
I wonder if Philipe and team still feel like the big man on the block for beating a guy who was playing with undiagnosed type 1? Makes his sideline obnoxiousness seem all the more childish, doesn't it?

I agree with that.

shank
05-06-2008, 04:31 PM
lol, yeah i love that. cutler had a better season than rivers despite far less talent to protect him, and make him look good.

i love when charger fans bring up the acl too, cause we have a built in, forever comeback that elway played his whole career without an ACL; one game? big whoop!

jay's gonna blast off in 08-09, especially if marshal is ok and we stay at least a little bit healthy.

TXBRONC
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
lol, yeah i love that. cutler had a better season than rivers despite far less talent to protect him, and make him look good.

i love when charger fans bring up the acl too, cause we have a built in, forever comeback that elway played his whole career without an ACL; one game? big whoop!

jay's gonna blast off in 08-09, especially if marshal is ok and we stay at least a little bit healthy.

Over the past couple of season we have had our fair share of injuries.

NameUsedBefore
05-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Over the past couple of season we have had our fair share of injuries.

The most important coming from the O-line, IMO.

Sassy
05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Because everyone else feeling worn down by that time as well. Jay was talking about after the season over a few of his friends said didn't look right.

Shank they shrug it off the team wanted Jay get his blood work done at the end of the season but he allowed other things to get in the way.

I question that too...would't they be doing bloodwork/physicals during the season? If so, they would have seen that his blood glucose was way out of whack!

TXBRONC
05-06-2008, 09:39 PM
I question that too...would't they be doing bloodwork/physicals during the season? If so, they would have seen that his blood glucose was way out of whack!

The way things sound they don't do blood work ups during the season. I suppose they might have had Jay told them some other symptoms he was suffering from. But Jay didn't and for the most part he was avoid the medical and training staff.

scott.475
05-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Rivers SUX SUX SUX!

That is all :rofl:

BeefStew25
05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Jay Cutler entered the cafeteria at the Denver Broncos' training facility Thursday afternoon, a notebook full of offensive alignments in one hand and a small, black zip-up pouch in the other. I was far more interested in the pouch: a kit containing a lancet device, blood-glucose meter and test strips – the tools for drawing blood from a fingertip and checking his blood sugars.

After sitting down at a table, the strong-armed quarterback placed the pouch in front of him and began talking about the balancing act that has become the predominant force in his young life.

"This goes everywhere with me," Cutler said, spinning the pouch as though it were a football after he'd just snuck across the goal line. "The first thing I do in the morning is test myself to see where I am, and it's the last thing I do before I go to bed. This whole thing is a little scary sometimes, but it's not like you have a choice. It's part of your life, you know?"

I nodded yes. Unfortunately, I know all too well what it means to manage Type I diabetes on a constant and vigilant basis. It sometimes feels like riding a rollercoaster through a dark tunnel that never ends.

Cutler, who learned of his fate a month ago Thursday, is among the approximately one million Americans suffering from the chronic condition. He found out a couple of weeks shy of his 25th birthday – and almost three years to the day that my son, now nine, was diagnosed. Yes, I know the exact date that everything changed, as do most people I've encountered in the Type I community. Other than the birth of our children, my wife and I regard it as the most significant event in our nearly 17 years of marriage.

Before I try to provide some insight into this often misunderstood and perpetually frustrating illness, and how it might impact Cutler's promising football career, let me make one thing clear: Managing Type I diabetes isn't fun, and I wish my family and the other similarly afflicted friends we've made didn't have to bear the burden. But I'm also well aware that there are many adults and children forced to confront far more tragic circumstances, and I feel extremely fortunate that my son is a happy kid who is thriving in many ways and should have a great, long life ahead of him.

He's also, I strongly suspect, about to become a Jay Cutler fan, if only because he understands and sympathizes with what the insulin-dependent passer will have to go through for the foreseeable future – and, unless there is a cure, forever. From what I can tell, the majority of people not in that boat (and I certainly was one of them until getting slapped in the face three years ago) don't really get it.

"Everyone's got a special drink or something for me to try that's supposedly either gonna 'cure' it or 'help' it," Cutler said, shaking his head. "Or people say, 'Hey, you've been eating bad' or, 'You've been drinking alcohol, and that's what brought it on.' They mean well, but they don't understand."

One thing I understand after Thursday's long conversation with Cutler: A month after getting diagnosed and going on insulin, he feels much, much better than he did during most of the 2007 season, when he dropped 33 pounds, lost the zip on his passes and felt increasingly weak and fatigued. But before I get into the details of his specific case, here's a basic template for those unfamiliar with diabetes:

• It's confusing, but there are two very different conditions that are referred to as "diabetes" – Type I, formerly known as juvenile diabetes, and Type II. Of the people who call themselves "diabetic," an estimated 90 to 95 percent are Type II. Both conditions involve the body's inability to regulate blood sugars through insulin, a chemical secreted by the pancreas, but there are some important distinctions.

Type II diabetes, often brought on by obesity or poor nutrition, involves a breakdown in the body's ability to process the insulin it makes. For that reason, improved diet and exercise can often improve the condition and lead to the reduction or elimination of the need for insulin injections. Type I is an autoimmune disease in which the body attacks itself and destroys its insulin-making cells. There is no behavior that "causes" it; doctors believe it is a genetic condition often triggered by an environmental stress, such as a virus. It is more typically diagnosed in childhood but in recent years it has become increasingly common for people Cutler's age or older to become symptomatic. Those who suffer from Type I are completely insulin dependent, and there is nothing that can be done to change that fact.

• Many awful side effects are associated with diabetes, including stroke, kidney failure, amputation and blindness. However, through proper and prolonged control of one's blood sugars, those dangers can be largely mitigated. Yet control not only requires hyper-vigilance, but it also correlates to a rise in the regular occurrence of hypoglycemic episodes, or "lows" – the scariest day-to-day element of diabetes management.

• To control blood sugars, most people use one of those finger-stick kits like the one Cutler carries to check their blood-glucose reading on a frequent basis, certainly before meals and often as much as 15 times a day. When that number is higher than the intended target range, additional insulin can be given through shots or via a battery-powered pump that is threaded into the body (the plastic insertion devices typically must be removed, reloaded and relocated every two or three days). When the number is low, fast-acting carbohydrates – usually juice or glucose tablets – must be ingested. It is also important that a person accurately computes the amount of carbohydrates he/she consumes, ideally by reading labels and measuring or weighing portions. Insulin is then dispensed according to a preset ratio (which also needs to be tweaked based on frequent testing). Exercise, stress, illness, alcohol consumption and altitude are some of the other factors which can impact blood sugars, and even under the best of conditions managing them is far from a perfect science.

• The most immediate stress most people with Type I diabetes face is the fear that they will overshoot their insulin dose and go "low" – meaning the oxygen gradually stops flowing to their brain. If carbohydrates aren't ingested quickly, someone suffering from such a hypoglycemic episode can become disoriented and runs the risk of seizure, long-term brain damage, coma or death. For this reason my wife and I give our son far less freedom to roam than many of his peers and sometimes wake up several times in the middle of the night to ensure that his sugars are within a safe range. (It's also the reason why Cutler's mother, Sandy, who lives in the Denver area, insisted on spending the night at her son's house after he was first diagnosed – until, Jay says, "I had to pretty much force her out of the house.") Conversely, running "high" makes you feel lousy and, when it occurs on a frequent and prolonged basis, drastically increases the chance that a person will suffer long-term side effects. As Cutler says, "That alone will scare you into getting your levels right."

It's still very early, but I get the feeling Cutler will try to rise to this challenge the same way he has aggressively attempted to master coach Mike Shanahan's intricate playbook. The skills that have helped make the third-year veteran a successful quarterback with a legitimate shot at stardom – being focused and organized and goal-oriented – will serve him well when it comes to managing his blood sugars. He has the advantage of a strong support system ranging from his parents to the Broncos' training and nutrition staffs; the latter have been sending him home from the facility on Mondays and Wednesdays with easy-to-prepare meals that include pre-measured carbohydrate counts.

BeefStew25
05-16-2008, 03:06 PM
For what it's worth, Cutler's attitude thus far has been appreciably positive. "Since he got diagnosed, his (mood) is like night-and-day from what it was before," says Marty Garafalo, Cutler's business manager. "He even smiles now."

There are obvious explanations for the change in demeanor, some of them purely physical. The 6-foot-3 Cutler, who reported for training camp last summer at 242 pounds and struggled to get down to 235 by the season opener, suddenly began losing weight in October and dropped all the way to 202 by the final game. By then he was exhibiting many of the symptoms associated with untreated high blood sugars, including severe thirst, dry mouth, fatigue, frequent urination and ravenous hunger.

"I was just crushing food," he recalls. "I was eating six meals a day – I'd eat a meal and like 30 minutes later I'd be ready to eat again. Yet I kept losing weight, and they were telling me it was the stress. I was like, 'I'm not that stressed.' I mean, my jeans were falling off my body and I was all pale. I looked like hell."

By all rights Cutler, who completed 63.6 percent of his passes while throwing for 20 touchdowns against 14 interceptions in '07, should have played like hell down the stretch. Yet remarkably, though the Broncos lost four of their last six games to finish 7-9, Cutler put up relatively decent numbers during that span. Looking back, he admits, "Those last six or seven games, I was finished. I'd go into games tired and didn't really understand why. I lost a lot of zip on my passes. I was missing deep balls and couldn't figure out why they were falling short."

He felt even worse after the season, especially during the month he spent in Atlanta working out with teammates Tony Scheffler and Brandon Marshall. "I'd always prided myself on working out and being strong in the weight room, but I had nothing," Cutler says. "I'd get through about half the workout and just be done. I'd go home and sleep all day long, and it's not like I'd been out partying the night before. I was taking every nutritional pill and drink known to man, and they weren't working."

Last month, when he returned to Denver, Cutler took a blood test and discovered why he'd been feeling so lousy. His first emotion was relief. Then everything turned surreal: He was sitting in a doctor's office getting an intensified course in introductory diabetes management and, before going home, injecting a dose of long-acting insulin into his thigh.

Now back up to 230 pounds, Cutler says he feels "10 times better" than he did a month ago. Yet he's still feeling his way through the abrupt lifestyle transition, enduring inconveniences like the time he went to dinner with friends, broke the needle off of the only syringe in his possession and drove home to get replacements, a process that took about an hour.

He has grown increasingly less self-conscious about injecting himself in front of others, laughing as he recalls the scene he caused while attending a wedding shortly after being diagnosed.

"I went into the bathroom to test and give myself a shot, and I had all my stuff laid out on a table," he says. "Some guy walked in and saw me and all those needles and high-tailed it out of there. He probably thought I was doing heroin!"

When Cutler shares anecdotes such as that one, he reveals an edge that until recently many outside observers didn't know existed. After being drafted 11th overall in 2006 after a reasonably anonymous career at Vanderbilt, the Santa Claus, Ind., native often seemed devoid of personality during interviews, remaining guarded to everyone but those who knew him best.

That started to change even before his diagnosis. After Marshall, the Broncos' talented third-year receiver, sustained a severe injury to his right arm after putting it through a television set during a wrestling match with his brother, Cutler called out his friend and primary target, telling reporters, "He's not my favorite person right now" and that "it's always something with him."

Cutler, who stated Thursday he would repeat those sentiments, says he has discussed becoming more vocal with Broncos passing-game coordinator Jeremy Bates, explaining, "Coming into my third year here, I think it's definitely time."

He also realizes that, as a public figure with Type I diabetes, he'll likely receive more attention than he did before. To his credit, he's embracing the opportunity. "This is something I'm going to have to live with forever," he says. "I'm going to try to use it as a positive and help as many people as I can."

Cutler, who already has his own charitable foundation, wants to become more actively involved in the push for a cure once he gets a better handle on his routine. In a bizarre coincidence, Garafalo had met with the director of Dedicated to Diabetes, a Denver-based group committed to education about the condition, to discuss Cutler's potential involvement. Cutler, who literally learned of his diagnosis hours later, joined up within days.

For now Cutler – like Charlotte Bobcats forward Adam Morrison, Seattle Mariners pitcher Brandon Morrow, golfers Scott Verplank, Michelle McGann and Kelli Kuehne, swimmer Gary Hall Jr. and other pro athletes with Type I – can help the cause simply by conspicuously continuing to perform at a high level, despite the daily challenges he faces. And if seeing him suck down a juice on the sideline or ***** his finger during a timeout helps some observers gain a better understanding of the rigors of Type I management, that's not a bad thing.

Balancing blood sugars is a confounding and relentless job, one in which, as a friend who also has a child with Type I has wryly pointed out, "there is no time off for good behavior."

I thought about this Thursday night when, after flying back from Denver, I took my sons to watch their older sister play the snare drum in an elementary-school band performance. The temperatures had reached triple-digits in our Northern California town, and my son with Type I had suffered from unexplained lows and highs since the early morning – the rollercoaster ride at its most daunting.

Midway through the hour-long performance he began to melt down. Though he had just eaten dinner, he complained of extreme hunger. My wife took out the meter from a pouch similar to the one Cutler carries, drew blood and checked his number, which was within the target range. Yet something was clearly off – perhaps he was dropping, or perhaps he merely has a metabolism to which someone unfamiliar with Type I couldn't relate – and I took him out of the auditorium in mid-song, ignoring the looks of other parents who probably wondered why a 9-year-old was falling apart like a toddler.

Minutes later, my son had eaten and regained his composure – and then the guilt set in. He apologized for having made us leave early and worried that his sister would be upset. I told him to shrug it off, just as I shrugged it off after finishing this column at 2:48 a.m., a few minutes after having checked my sleeping son's sugars for the sixth time since dinner, and having given yet another dose of insulin through his pump.

And I'm smiling as I recall one of the last things Cutler told me as we sat in the cafeteria: "I've read books about parents waking up three to five times every night to check their kids' sugars, and it blows my mind. I've gotten emails from kids that have touched me so much. Once I get all of my stuff a little bit more under control, I'll definitely get involved. I know I can affect a lot of kids in a positive way."

NightTrainLayne
05-16-2008, 03:54 PM
We've got the right guy leading our team.

honz
05-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Great article. Thanks for posting.

I'll sum it up the best I can: Cutler is DA MAN!

CrazyHorse
05-16-2008, 04:44 PM
Could Cutler take IGF Insulin Like Growth factor which is similar to HGH or Human Growth rmone? If he tested positive he could say it was his diabetes medicine. No one would know. Although this would give him an unfair advantage.

NameUsedBefore
05-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Could Cutler take IGF Insulin Like Growth factor which is similar to HGH or Human Growth rmone? If he tested positive he could say it was his diabetes medicine. No one would know. Although this would give him an unfair advantage.

Hm... while it would be cool to see Cutler overthrow is man by fifty yards and a parking lot I'd prefer our organization stay clean.

As for Cutler himself, I really feel bad for him about all this but it seems like he's been able to turn it into a positive than even I can :lol:

Plus, having a standout figure for a disease can do wonders. Look at Lance Armstrong, the man is a hero for so many people and really revitalized how much attention cancer gets. Hopefully Cutler can be the same kind of role-model for diabetes and those who have it.

BeefStew25
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Hm... while it would be cool to see Cutler overthrow is man by fifty yards and a parking lot I'd prefer our organization stay clean.

As for Cutler himself, I really feel bad for him about all this but it seems like he's been able to turn it into a positive than even I can :lol:

Plus, having a standout figure for a disease can do wonders. Look at Lance Armstrong, the man is a hero for so many people and really revitalized how much attention cancer gets. Hopefully Cutler can be the same kind of role-model for diabetes and those who have it.

Lance was on drugs.

TXBRONC
05-16-2008, 05:10 PM

Why do you want him to risk killing himself?

elsid13
05-16-2008, 05:42 PM
God article. Who wrote it?

Broncosfreak_56
05-16-2008, 05:44 PM
God article. Who wrote it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArKDuVQAb7e_ZS1KBS3Sga9DubYF?slug=ms-thegameface051608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Yahoo sports.

elsid13
05-16-2008, 05:47 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArKDuVQAb7e_ZS1KBS3Sga9DubYF?slug=ms-thegameface051608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Yahoo sports.

Thanks.

TXBRONC
05-16-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm not meaning to still your thunder Beef, but I think this adds to the conversation.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2008/wwhi051608.htm

Cutler's strength magnified by play before diabetes diagnosis

May 16, 2008

Broncos QB Jay Cutler will be viewed in a different light when he takes the field in 2008. Cutler’s sophomore showing, in which he threw 20 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and had a 63.6 completion percentage, was already impressive. However, it goes from solid to stunning following the admission that he suffered a 35-pound weight loss during it as a result of undiagnosed Type I diabetes. Cutler announced he had the disease earlier this month after he was officially diagnosed. We hear teammates, coaches and fans in Denver have a new level of respect for their signal caller because of the toughness he displayed throughout the ’07 season. Sources say Cutler will have to learn how to monitor the diabetes, which will be a challenge at first, but he has the smarts to figure things out. There is no one set plan for the third-year veteran to follow. Factors such as extreme weather can have an effect on diabetes and each day will present its own new challenge. But based on his '07 gritty play under adverse conditions, Cutler has already proven that he can fight through difficult times.

05-16-2008, 07:26 PM
We've got the right guy leading our team.

Without a doubt.

Watchthemiddle
05-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm not meaning to still your thunder Beef, but I think this adds to the conversation.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2008/wwhi051608.htm

Cutler's strength magnified by play before diabetes diagnosis

May 16, 2008

Broncos QB Jay Cutler will be viewed in a different light when he takes the field in 2008. Cutler’s sophomore showing, in which he threw 20 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and had a 63.6 completion percentage, was already impressive. However, it goes from solid to stunning following the admission that he suffered a 35-pound weight loss during it as a result of undiagnosed Type I diabetes. Cutler announced he had the disease earlier this month after he was officially diagnosed. We hear teammates, coaches and fans in Denver have a new level of respect for their signal caller because of the toughness he displayed throughout the ’07 season. Sources say Cutler will have to learn how to monitor the diabetes, which will be a challenge at first, but he has the smarts to figure things out. There is no one set plan for the third-year veteran to follow. Factors such as extreme weather can have an effect on diabetes and each day will present its own new challenge. But based on his '07 gritty play under adverse conditions, Cutler has already proven that he can fight through difficult times.

I will be the first to go on record to say I gave Cutler un-fair criticism last season. I wasn't happy with his record as a starter, I wasn't happy with him being out-played by Patrick Ramsey and Phillip Rivers twice, but looking back on it I can now see that the man played out of his mind last season dealing with what he was dealing with.

The last 5 out of 6 games he was the top passer in the game...win or lose.

He was basically dealing with an un-diagnosed Type I diabetes, it was probably spinning out of control and he still performed well.

I think we will not only see an outstanding Cutler in his third season ...because its his third season...but an even better then expected because he will be healthy.

ApaOps5
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
I really thought he was injured last year or just regressing. Now I know why. The guy lost 35lbs and since he is a gym rat I am sure most of that was muscle. The fact that he still played at a pro level was pretty amazing.

The most important thing is he is healthy and aware of his disease. Diabetic seizures are nothing to joke about. I have responded to a couple out at the airport and they are very scary.