PDA

View Full Version : POST DRAFT: Which position is still a position of need? (MERGED) with the OFFiCIAL post draft thread

broncofaninfla
04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, It's the Monday after the draft and rookie free agent signings. In your opinion, which position is still a position of need?

MadMax
04-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Nose Tackle, Safety.

LTC Pain
04-26-2010, 11:04 AM
ILB and a RB, preferably a bruising FB.

GEM
04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
The LB depth scares me.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Nose Tackle, Safety.

Safety!?!?
How so?

Lancane
04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
I'd have to say that the team has covered most needs. However, I would like to see Denver add a veteran receiver and a power running back.

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Nose tackle and inside linebacker.

MileHighCrew
04-26-2010, 11:10 AM
depth is good, we need more all over the field.

MileHighCrew
04-26-2010, 11:16 AM
I know we plan on scoring every drive of the season, but do we have a punter yet? You know just incase?

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I know we plan on scoring every drive of the season, but do we have a punter yet? You know just incase?

Britton Colquitt was brought back and I think Berger is still on the roster at this time.

underrated29
04-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I dont like hagan at MLB... We need a solid ILB, dont know much about that miami LB we signed...

NT- needs help unless Baker is the man.

Saftey is not even close to a need.

Punter- we have colquitt, another guy we signed--I almost 100%, about 99% certain that we let Berger go..That guy sucked! I mean SUCKED!!!

shank
04-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Britton Colquitt was brought back and I think Berger is still on the roster at this time.

we have colquitt and aj trapasso... considering colquitt wasn't good enough to play here last year, i'm surprised no one else has been brought in...

other than that, we lack depth in the trophy polishing department.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I dont like hagan at MLB... We need a solid ILB, dont know much about that miami LB we signed...

NT- needs help unless Baker is the man.

Saftey is not even close to a need.

Punter- we have colquitt, another guy we signed--I almost 100%, about 99% certain that we let Berger go..That guy sucked! I mean SUCKED!!!

I think that ILB is a position where it might be a good idea to watch other teams movements, but i like Larsen next to DJ, and think he might just our guy.

Lonestar
04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
We filled most of the D holes in FA, and have solid starters in all places.

We need to develop the depth we have at those positions and the kiddies will if they are smart suck up advise from William's in particular, learning from the aster so to speak.

The Dline last year sucked for the most part they had no size at NT or those that had size did not have clue to play in the NFL. Thomas has given up at NT and is moving to DE where he may be a good fit if not he is gonzo, Baker be the answer for NT but is very raw but lots of size and talent having JW there will be a great help for him.

I could see a power RB 225+ as a nice to have but not a requirement.
A receiving TE although theta seem to think he is already on the roster marques something.

I think given time in the pocket that Orton will HAVE to look for more targets and I'm not worried a bit about not having a BIG numbers guy there.

The Running game will get better just because we have some studs not eh OLINE again, PErhaps another OT for Back up in case Harris is not healed up.

In fact I think that ZAne will be his replacement especially when Tim begins to start as I'm not real comfortable with Harris watching his blind side.

overall I think we have a solid team in the making and maybe some back up for perceived weak spots.

camdisco24
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Power RB for when Bucky gets his yearly injury and nose tackle for sure.
Other than that I think we're pretty we'll covered.

Northman
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Quarterback.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 12:07 PM

We need to develop the depth we have at those positions and the kiddies will if they are smart suck up advise from William's in particular, learning from the aster so to speak.

The Dline last year sucked for the most part they had no size at NT or those that had size did not have clue to play in the NFL. Thomas has given up at NT and is moving to DE where he may be a good fit if not he is gonzo, Baker be the answer for NT but is very raw but lots of size and talent having JW there will be a great help for him.

A receiving TE although theta seem to think he is already on the roster marques something.

I think given time in the pocket that Orton will HAVE to look for more targets and I'm not worried a bit about not having a BIG numbers guy there.

The Running game will get better just because we have some studs not eh OLINE again, PErhaps another OT for Back up in case Harris is not healed up.

In fact I think that ZAne will be his replacement especially when Tim begins to start as I'm not real comfortable with Harris watching his blind side.

overall I think we have a solid team in the making and maybe some back up for perceived weak spots.

Yeah, how great was the Zane pick! i had forgotten all about him, and just as i was pondering how in the world Harris would last blocking for Tebows blindside.......DEN drafts Zane. Immediately i remember a few posters here raving about this guy, and how hes a mauler with a nasty attitude, that can play all over the O-line. Loved this pick.
The O-line makes the defense better because it allows the offense to run the ball and stay on the field longer.
Our D fell apart last year because they were on the field WAAAAY to long as the year went on. Too many 3 and outs and back onto the field for the D. JWilliams, Champ, Dawk, these guys cant be on the field all damn day anymore!
With a real running game,thanks to a revamped O-line, and a deadly WR corps, it could also herald the Tebow era alot faster than folks might think..

gregbroncs
04-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Quarterback.I gave this a high five because it made me laugh. Whether you meant to or not this was funny.

Lancane
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
We could use some depth at the inside linebacker position, but the starters are pretty much set as Haggan and Williams. We're more then fine at outside (rush) linebacker positions where Ayers and Dumervil are slated to be the starters...Larsen, Braxton and Woodyard are the only depth at the inside positions we have, where as outside we have Moss, Reid, Atkins and the two rookies we added this year Kirlew and Alexander. I would not be surprised if Kirlew was moved inside since he's only 258lbs.

hotcarl
04-26-2010, 12:09 PM
SOURCES:!

my sources tell me the denver broncos are looking for a qu at number 123 so this draft could turn ourt a little lass awsome for some of yo termor fans . plases sentr

offical report :: broncos:salute::salute:

hotcarl
04-26-2010, 12:10 PM
lets move this discussion over to the OFFICIAL post draft thread. mods?

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 12:11 PM
We could use some depth at the inside linebacker position, but the starters are pretty much set as Haggan and Williams. We're more then fine at outside (rush) linebacker positions where Ayers and Dumervil are slated to be the starters...Larsen and Woodyard are the only depth at the inside positions we have, where as outside we have Moss, Reid, Atkins and the two rookies we added this year Kirlew and Alexander. I would not be surprised if Kirlew was moved inside since he's only 258lbs.

I really like Larsen and think hes a baller who just hasnt been given the chance to be committed to one spot. Hes not "elite", but i think this guy could turn out to be a very solid ILB in the 3-4.

hotcarl
04-26-2010, 12:12 PM
lets move this discussion over to the OFFICIAL post draft thread. mods?

mods?

broncofaninfla
04-26-2010, 12:13 PM
I'd have to go RB's first, then ILB. This should be Moreno's break out year, we now have beef on the line and he has a full year playing in the system not to mention a full offseason of conditioning. After him is my main concern, Buck is our most dangerous back BUT gimpy. Arrington also has a history of injuries. I was hoping we would draft some depth at this position but maybe the undrafted free agents might step up and help.

ILB- another position I was hoping to address in the draft. I like DJ, Woodyard, Haggan, and Larsen but would like to see a stud here. Ayodele is a run stopper only, he's solid against the run but a HUGE liability in pass protection. I know Haggan is slated to start next to DJ but wouldn't be surpsried to see Larsen or Woodyard push for that spot.

Lancane
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
As to the defensive line, we're in better shape then people make it out to be. Williams and Fields will rotate at the nose position, both are starter capable and at times been dominant. Even if either one happened to go out due to injury then either Baker or veteran Bannan can kick inside, let's not forget that Bannan has rotated at the nose position for Baltimore at times.

Bannan and Green are the slated starters at the end positions, behind them we have Baker, Thomas, McBean, Smith and the rookie Baston. And I would not be surprised if we added one or two through free agency as teams begin to trim the rosters, especially veterans.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
As to the defensive line, we're in better shape then people make it out to be. Williams and Fields will rotate at the nose position, both are starter capable and at times been dominant. Even if either one happened to go out due to injury then either Baker or veteran Bannan can kick inside, let's not forget that Bannan has rotated at the nose position for Baltimore at times.

Bannan and Green are the slated starters at the end positions, behind them we have Baker, Thomas, McBean, Smith and the rookie Baston. And I would not be surprised if we added one or two through free agency as teams begin to trim the rosters, especially veterans.

Now how sweet are the Bannan and JWilliams signings?
If DEN gets 9 games outta JWillaims this year, its a total win.
Every single sparkler fan i know out here is absolutely pissed that
Williams is in DEN. Just a dominating run stuffer and causes all kinds
of havoc.

anton...
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
what?

right...

Lancane
04-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm more concerned about our running back stable and wide receiver corps., we have plenty of depth at the tailback position but most are fodder, Buckhalter is injury prone though capable, Moreno I believe will have a breakout year...the issue is we have no powerful backs, granted we signed undrafted free agent Toney Baker from NC State, but he's sort of an unknown though he fits the mold at 5-10 235lbs., he's injury prone and has had very little production to show for his time in college. Denver would do well to sign a big veteran tailback at least for the year, we need some power in the stable.

We've added some talent to the receiver corps. with Decker and Thomas, of the two I feel Decker will contribute the soonest of the two, while I feel Thomas will need time to develop, I would really like to see Denver sign Owens or another veteran receiver for some help the offense as the two rookies take strides to improve and develop into their roles on the team. At this time I believe that Royal, Gaffney and Stokely are slated to be the starters...and we're likely to go into the season with what we currently have. We also added three undrafted rookie receivers in Honeycutt, Arnett and McCarter...of the three I'm more intrigued with Alric Arnett from West Virginia, he's a speed wideout who's pretty accomplished in his role. McCarter looks like another Marshall clone, but can any of the three actually contribute and be more then fodder?

CrazyHorse
04-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Ilb, s, nt, p, rb

broncohead
04-26-2010, 01:16 PM

Why the concern for Harris at RT if Tebow plays? Harris is a very solid tackle who I think will be a better LT if we didn't have one of the best in the league.

I'm happy with the way FA and the draft went for the most part. We picked up solid depth at positions of need except ILB. Thats really the only position i'm concerned with right now.

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd have to go RB's first, then ILB. This should be Moreno's break out year, we now have beef on the line and he has a full year playing in the system not to mention a full offseason of conditioning. After him is my main concern, Buck is our most dangerous back BUT gimpy. Arrington also has a history of injuries. I was hoping we would draft some depth at this position but maybe the undrafted free agents might step up and help.

ILB- another position I was hoping to address in the draft. I like DJ, Woodyard, Haggan, and Larsen but would like to see a stud here. Ayodele is a run stopper only, he's solid against the run but a HUGE liability in pass protection. I know Haggan is slated to start next to DJ but wouldn't be surpsried to see Larsen or Woodyard push for that spot.

I agree with this. McD said that they were looking to take an ILB in round 2 or 3, but the guys they wanted were gone. That tells me that they were probably targeting Sean Lee, Brandon Spikes, Pat Angerer, or Donald Butler, who were all selected before our 3rd rounder. I'd rather have JD Walton. McD said you just can't get everything you want in one draft. I'm glad they didn't reach on one later in the draft. Instead, they signed Ayodele. I wouldn't mind seeing Micah Johnson brought in as an UDFA to compete, or Larsen given a chance at ILB. Hochstein can play FB in the rare times that we use one.

Rick
04-26-2010, 01:31 PM
SOURCES:!

my sources tell me the denver broncos are looking for a qu at number 123 so this draft could turn ourt a little lass awsome for some of yo termor fans . plases sentr

offical report :: broncos:salute::salute:

No offense, maybe I am just dense...but I have no idea what the heck you just said.

hotcarl
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
No offense, maybe I am just dense...but I have no idea what the heck you just said.

lay off the dope. mods, can we ban this smacktard?

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
Why the concern for Harris at RT if Tebow plays? Harris is a very solid tackle who I think will be a better LT if we didn't have one of the best in the league.

I'm happy with the way FA and the draft went for the most part. We picked up solid depth at positions of need except ILB. Thats really the only position i'm concerned with right now.

I saw a interview clip of McDaniels and it sounded like he was looking at Zane to play on the interior of line. Ability wise Harris is fine but he has had hard time staying healthy enough to keep playing.

G_Money
04-26-2010, 01:49 PM

The concern is that Harris is injury-prone. Any guy who has 2 back surgeries before he steps foot on an NFL field might be somebody to look closely at, and he also went down last year with foot and toe injuries, which are not good for someone over 300 lbs who needs his mobility and can become chronic.

Having a couple of guards lying around who can play tackle isn't the worst plan - especially since I think Polumbus would be better as a guard anyway. If Harris goes down again I'd rather put Beadles or Kuper at RT and Polumbus at G.

Just me. Hopefully Harris stays healthy for a good long time instead, and we don't have to worry about it.

~G

Rick
04-26-2010, 01:53 PM
:confused:

Buff
04-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Oh how I've missed Bill Devaroe.

dogfish
04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
6 djiji 89nknk iqhi43hisd//30dxvjhir

camdisco24
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
:elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

broncohead
04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
It sounded as though JR was refering to his play rather then his ability to stay healthy. Correct me if i'm wrong

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
It sounded as though JR was referring to his play rather then his ability to stay healthy. Correct me if i'm wrong

That's how I would interpret it. If he means something different it's not clear at this point.

Slick
04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Don't forget we signed Akin Ayodele at ILB as well. ...not saying he's a god, but he adds a little depth at least.

I'd like to see us pick up a thick RB and a veteran WR.

...and the Chargers got Cam Thomas late in the draft (who I wanted), and if the Chiefs sign Henderson (he's another guy I'd entertain for depth on the defensive line), we better hope like hell Jamal and our young guys hold up in the middle.

hotcarl
04-26-2010, 02:51 PM
please close thread and continue discussion in the OFFICIAL thread, tia

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137651

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Don't forget we signed Ayenbadejo(sp) at ILB as well. ...not saying he's a god, but he adds a little depth at least.

I'd like to see us pick up a thick RB and a veteran WR.

...and the Chargers got Cam Thomas late in the draft (who I wanted), and if the Chiefs sign Henderson (he's another guy I'd entertain for depth on the defensive line), we better hope like hell Jamal and our young guys hold up in the middle.

If Jamal can stay healthy I think we will be a lot more solid up the middle. He I don't think he will play 80% of the snaps but he should still enough to be a difference maker if he remains healthy.

guitarj
04-26-2010, 03:13 PM
please close thread and continue discussion in the OFFICIAL thread, tia

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137651

This thread addresses a specific subject, yours doesnt:listen:

I think we addressed our most glaring needs, and still spent a first on a hopeful QB. Hopefully we hit on most of the picks, and I expect a couple of players from last years draft to really come in and step up

hotcarl
04-26-2010, 03:17 PM
This thread addresses a specific subject, yours doesnt:listen:

yeah but, OFFICIAL!! mods???

guitarj
04-26-2010, 03:19 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

GGMoogly
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM
inside linebacker

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 06:06 PM
Henderson going to the Chiefs would not be good for the Broncos. Call his agent and bring him in here. The guy would be a stud at DE in our D.

Lonestar
04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Now how sweet are the Bannan and JWilliams signings?
If DEN gets 9 games outta JWillaims this year, its a total win.
Every single sparkler fan i know out here is absolutely pissed that
Williams is in DEN. Just a dominating run stuffer and causes all kinds
of havoc.

Of course since SAN went to a passing O and their current Rb is more of a Out side the Tackles type I don t think this will hurt the bolts a whole lot.

Lonestar
04-26-2010, 06:51 PM
It sounded as though JR was refering to his play rather then his ability to stay healthy. Correct me if i'm wrong

A little of both When Tim starts I do not trust his Blind side OT to stop him from getting creamed.

HArris is a good OT when healthy but he has missed about as much time as he has played Missed 11 games in three years do to injury.

there were another 5 games in his rookie season he did not play in 40% and was he healthy for all of those 24 games he did play in. and if you count the games he was on IR. That means he has missed 50% of the games he was eligible for.

Like I said When we were looking at tebow on that monday before the draft one of the first things I posted about was who was going to be watching his Blind side.

When we got Zane I thought it was a damned fine move as he can play almost every position other than OC.

Grover
04-26-2010, 07:21 PM
I think the middle of our defense is the most vulnerable. Nose Tackle and Middle Linebacker(s). We have a new and aging NT who will be in rotation with Fields, D.J. Williams who shows much better side to side movement and pursuit tackling, than he does fighting off blocks and meeting the ball carrier. No one else is really proven at the Mike Linebacker position. Thank goodness it's April and not September, because there's time to learn and progress.

As it stands right now, if I was game planning against the Broncos defense, I'd be running a lot of the no-huddle to keep us from substituting, doing short passes and running right up the middle. I think that the lack of large, talented, young players right in the middle of our defense is a weakness that other teams will try to exploit.

broncohead
04-26-2010, 07:24 PM
A little of both When Tim starts I do not trust his Blind side OT to stop him from getting creamed.

HArris is a good OT when healthy but he has missed about as much time as he has played Missed 11 games in three years do to injury.

there were another 5 games in his rookie season he did not play in 40% and was he healthy for all of those 24 games he did play in. and if you count the games he was on IR. That means he has missed 50% of the games he was eligible for.

Like I said When we were looking at tebow on that monday before the draft one of the first things I posted about was who was going to be watching his Blind side.

When we got Zane I thought it was a damned fine move as he can play almost every position other than OC.

It's reassuring that we have a good tackle prospect for depth but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Zane hasn't played a down in the NFL. Who knows how he will turn out. When Harris is on the field I will have no problem with him protecting the blind side.

hotcarl
04-27-2010, 09:26 AM
nice thread

SOCALORADO.
04-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Of course since SAN went to a passing O and their current Rb is more of a Out side the Tackles type I don t think this will hurt the bolts a whole lot.

They seem to be more pissed that JWilliams is just no longer on their team than anything else. He really did alot for the defense.

T.K.O.
04-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Oh how I've missed Bill Devaroe.

i think he got a gig on one of those bass fishing shows....:confused:
and is working on a "spring bass fisherman's fashion catalog" or at least thats the word on the "street"

T.K.O.
04-27-2010, 10:47 AM
nice thread

look's like somebody has a case of "thread envy":laugh:
c'mon HC....it's beneath you;)

Elevation inc
04-27-2010, 12:20 PM
sorry folks i know north was being funny but the only real uncertainty surrounding this team in my eyes is QB.....both tebow and quinn havent proven squat yet, orton is a handicap, and brandsater is SOL....so today i would say the only glaring issue we have is what happens at QB......at RB we now have 6...dont see the need there at all....We are stocked with tons of WR's now....our OL is revamped and upgarded, our TE's are deep. our DL is deep, we have 6 ILB's, were okay at rush Lb, were deep at corner and safety.....i dont see anyone else we could add right now to make this team better or could beat out the guys we have now....

just gotta hope things translate well on the field for a change...here is to the unknown.....:beer:

broncohead
04-27-2010, 12:28 PM
sorry folks i know north was being funny but the only real uncertainty surrounding this team in my eyes is QB.....both tebow and quinn havent proven squat yet, orton is a handicap, and brandsater is SOL....so today i would say the only glaring issue we have is what happens at QB......at RB we now have 6...dont see the need there at all....We are stocked with tons of WR's now....our OL is revamped and upgarded, our TE's are deep. our DL is deep, we have 6 ILB's, were okay at rush Lb, were deep at corner and safety.....i dont see anyone else we could add right now to make this team better or could beat out the guys we have now....

just gotta hope things translate well on the field for a change...here is to the unknown.....:beer:

Our revamped OL is unknown, so is our ILB situation, our WRs, and our RB situation are all unknown just like our QB situation. We just gotta see what the new players bring on the field

TXBRONC
04-27-2010, 12:34 PM
It's reassuring that we have a good tackle prospect for depth but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Zane hasn't played a down in the NFL. Who knows how he will turn out. When Harris is on the field I will have no problem with him protecting the blind side.

Same here ability wise I don't have any concerns with Harris protecting the blind side of a left handed quarterback if or when he ever gets onto the field. My concern is can Harris stay healthy like he did all of '08.

Lonestar
04-27-2010, 03:54 PM

yes as can be said for every rookie Considering harris has played in only 50% of the games he could have played in in his NFL career I have a little less faith he will be around long term NOR that he can protect Tebow blind side.

Time will tell who is correct

dogfish
04-27-2010, 04:21 PM
yes as can be said for every rookie Considering harris has played in only 50% of the games he could have played in in his NFL career I have a little less faith he will be around long term NOR that he can protect Tebow blind side.

Time will tell who is correct

i highly doubt harris will be here past next year, barring some unforseen development like a change in the CBA. . .

not that i don't like him, but i can't see us giving him the kind of extension he deserves with the injury issues-- and he's not the greatest fit for our new scheme anyway. . .

i wouldn't automatically pencil in beadles as his replacement, though. . . we'll see, and i freely admit that i have little first-hand knowledge of the guy, but pretty much every scouting report i've read on him says that he'll fit better inside than at tackle. . . of course it's always nice to have a guy with the frame and experience to kick out as an injury replacement, but i won't be surprised if left guard becomes zane's long-term home, and we draft another OT next year (possibly even with a pick that we get in trade for harris, who should have solid value IF he stays healthy this year, as he would be an upgrade at left tackle for a number of teams). . .

atwater27
04-27-2010, 06:36 PM
We need a young promising nosetackle. We need 2 young promising defensive ends. We need a starting caliber inside linebacker. We need a couple of safeties. We need a tough, hard runner to complement Knowshawn.