broncophan
04-25-2010, 05:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5134382

Shazam!
04-25-2010, 08:48 PM
McDaniels has narrow vision for Tebow
By Bill Williamson
ESPN.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Many people have many ideas for Tim Tebow in the NFL.

Some believe he'll be a fine H-back because of his sturdy stature and hard running style. Others think he'd be a terrific special teams player because of his desire for the game.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels doesn't envision any of those roles for Tebow, the player he traded three picks to Baltimore for and for whom he staked his reputation as a coach on.

"He's a quarterback," McDaniels said Saturday afternoon after wrapping up his second draft as Denver's coach. "He's a quarterback. That's all he's going to do."

McDaniels and Tebow will begin the process of making the Gators legend an NFL-quality quarterback next week in a rookie-only minicamp.

McDaniels reiterated again Saturday that Tebow will be competing for the job that is currently owned by Kyle Orton.

"Like everybody, he will be competing for a job," McDaniels said."I don't care if a guy is a rookie. If he's earned the job, he'll play. That goes for any position. But I'll say this, he has a long way to go to get there. But he is starting the process."

McDaniels said Tebow could potentially play in "wildcat" packages as a rookie if he isn't playing otherwise. But he made it clear that Tebow's primary goal is to become a starting quarterback, no gimmicks attached.

"He's a quarterback," said McDaniels for a third time in a five-minute conversation.

Bill Williamson covers the AFC West for ESPN.com.

Mr D
04-25-2010, 08:50 PM
McDaniels respects his players wants... I wouldn't expect McDaniels to use Tebow as an H-back or a TE or whatever these idiot analysts who have a track record of being right 10% of the time say... Tebow said he wants to be a pocket QB and that's exactly what McDaniels will help to do.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2010, 09:01 PM
He better be a pocket passer. You don't spend a first round on a QB for him to be used as a wildcat QB or short yardage man.

NameUsedBefore
04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
He's like a reverse Matt Jones.

jlarsiii
04-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Hopefully the narrow vision includes teaching Timmy how to read defenses and go through his progressions. If he can't do that then it will not matter if his mechanics are unique and that his footwork is not the best. . .

jlarsiii
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM
He better be a pocket passer. You don't spend a first round on a QB for him to be used as a wildcat QB or short yardage man.

That may very well be the only way he sees the field this season unless he is willing to play ST, and there is no chance that he will play ST IMO.

BroncoWave
04-25-2010, 09:20 PM
That may very well be the only way he sees the field this season unless he is willing to play ST, and there is no chance that he will play ST IMO.

Considering that it's not unusual for first round QB's to sit for a year anyway, any gimmick plays we could get out of him this year would just be gravy.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2010, 10:22 PM

Willing? Who cares if he's willing. Why would you put your first round QB on special teams????

CrazyHorse
04-25-2010, 10:25 PM
I fully expect Orton to remain the starter and Tebow to be used in Wild Horses until he gets acclimated to NFL play.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
I think it plays out like most of the time when you see a team use a first round pick on a QB when they still have the former incumbent. Orton will start, and by the last 4 games of the year, we'll bring in the rookie to start getting some experience.

McD can't sit still in the draft and is too impatient not spend all his draft choices to move up, he sure as hell is not going to have enough patience not to put his new toy in the lineup. He's absolutely, 100%, going to justify his draft choice by putting Tebow in the game as much as possible. We saw that with Moreno when he wasn't ready..but he sure as fire gave him the ball as much as he could to justify that choice.

Tned
04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
I fully expect Orton to remain the starter and Tebow to be used in Wild Horses until he gets acclimated to NFL play.

Yep, this is most likely. Could even see what we saw with Jamarcus Russel, coming in for a series here or there, to get him experience and throw a change up at the defense.

Some coaches wouldn't do that, and instead just sit the rookie, but if McDaniels thinks he is ready, I see him throwing Tebow some plays, Wild Hog and otherwise.

Ravage!!!
04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Yep, this is most likely. Could even see what we saw with Jamarcus Russel, coming in for a series here or there, to get him experience and throw a change up at the defense.

Some coaches wouldn't do that, and instead just sit the rookie, but if McDaniels thinks he is ready, I see him throwing Tebow some plays, Wild Hog and otherwise.

we will see Tebow in the game, game one.. running a form of the wild horses on some short yardage play..... game one, opening series.......

BroncoWave
04-25-2010, 10:55 PM
we will see Tebow in the game, game one.. running a form of the wild horses on some short yardage play..... game one, opening series.......

I wouldn't mind one bit if we gave him the ball on our first 3rd and 1. It's not like anyone else on the team could convert one last year.

turftoad
04-26-2010, 12:27 AM
I think it plays out like most of the time when you see a team use a first round pick on a QB when they still have the former incumbent. Orton will start, and by the last 4 games of the year, we'll bring in the rookie to start getting some experience.

McD can't sit still in the draft and is too impatient not spend all his draft choices to move up, he sure as hell is not going to have enough patience not to put his new toy in the lineup. He's absolutely, 100%, going to justify his draft choice by putting Tebow in the game as much as possible. We saw that with Moreno when he wasn't ready..but he sure as fire gave him the ball as much as he could to justify that choice.

Couldn't have said that better myself Rav.

broncohead
04-26-2010, 01:20 PM
McD said Tebow is a QB and will play QB. That is all

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Tebow will start week 1 at QB for DEN.
He will singlehandedly win the game, and make the city of Jacksonville and the state of Florida implode and then explode in one giant eruption of WIN.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/b/b1/Exds.jpg

Cugel
04-26-2010, 01:55 PM
He's like a reverse Matt Jones.

How reverse? He went from being a QB in college to being a QB in the NFL while Matt Jones went from being a QB in college to being a whatever -- WR, H-back, etc. in the NFL?

I get your point, that he's a wasted pick, but how is that the reverse? :confused:

Cugel
04-26-2010, 02:02 PM
Tebow will start week 1 at QB for DEN.
He will singlehandedly win the game, and make the city of Jacksonville and the state of Florida implode and then explode in one giant eruption of WIN.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/b/b1/Exds.jpg

Or else he will cause the heads of Broncos fans to do THIS:

http://www.fcpp.org/images/cartoon/exploding%20head%20300dpi.jpg

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 02:41 PM
McD said Tebow is a QB and will play QB. That is all

Just before the draft that this came up as topic of conversation and there were some comments that if draft this kid that he would be used in all kinds of exotic ways. Even then no way, if McDaniels drafts him, he will draft him to play quarterback and not be a slash. To spend that kind of draft capital on a quarterback it makes sense to me that you want him to develop into a starting quarterback not some multi-purpose gimmick.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Or else he will cause the heads of Broncos fans to do THIS:

http://www.fcpp.org/images/cartoon/exploding%20head%20300dpi.jpg

No, that was your head on draft night. We should have filmed it!
At least 20,000 hits on YouTube by now!
Anyone ever say you look like Darwin?!?!?