PDA

View Full Version : Tebow quickly impressed McDaniels, Broncos as a genuine gem

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14953999?source=rss

In a meeting room at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis, Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and Tim Tebow sat several feet apart, engaged in animated, rapid-fire conversation about football. They clicked almost immediately.

McDaniels was convinced Tebow was genuine. He came away even more intrigued with Tebow as a player.

Tebow, an All-America quarterback at Florida and the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, felt he had found a kindred football spirit.

"I was jacked leaving that room. I didn't even want to visit another room. It was not enough time," Tebow said. "We were excited, we were enthusiastic. There was passion. It was just intense, and it was ball, and it was juice. The juice level in that room was high, and it was awesome."

And that was just the first 15 minutes. Two months later, they formalized their partnership when McDaniels drafted Tebow at No. 25 overall Thursday night, a move that sent shock waves through the Broncos and the rest of the NFL.

In doing so, McDaniels didn't just potentially draft the Broncos' quarterback of the future. He brought to Denver the most polarizing player in college football, a 22-year-old star who has an off-field persona big enough to match his on-field accomplishments.

"We left (the combine) saying, 'Boy, that's pretty unique, what he has and his passion for this game and for winning.' He's been a winner, and you could see why," McDaniels said.

Yet Tebow knows that when he reports to Broncos headquarters this week for the official start of his NFL career, he will do so as the fourth quarterback on the team's depth chart — behind Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tom Brandstater. The Broncos have their emotional compass in safety Brian Dawkins. And they have a slew of respected veterans on both sides of the ball who might not care how Tebow wowed McDaniels at the scouting combine.

Tebow said he knows that as a rookie, he will be judged by how he works — not by what he says.

"I'm going to have one goal and that goal is to earn the respect of my teammates and coaches. That's the only goal I have," Tebow said. "It's not to be the starting quarterback right now, it is to earn their respect, because when you earn respect from people, then they begin to like you, and then they believe in you, and then they begin to love you, and then you have a team that is united and cares about each other more than anything else.

"Then you go out there and you play for each other, you play for your coaches and you win championships."

A whole lot of lore

The tall tales of Tebow's high school and collegiate feats are true, not fiction.

Tebow once played three quarters of a prep game — and scored on a 29-yard run — with a broken leg. (He missed the rest of that season.) In his final game at Nease High School in Ponte Vedra, Fla., he begged his way off the sideline and into the Panthers' defensive line, where he lined up at nose guard on the final series of the game. (His team won.)

At Florida, he became the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy after one of the best statistical seasons in college football history: 3,286 yards passing, 895 yards rushing and 55 total touchdowns. He was on two Southeastern Conference and two national championship teams — one each as a role player and one each as the Gators' star. In his final game with the Gators, he passed for 482 yards (three incompletions, no interceptions) and accounted for four touchdowns (three passing, one rushing) in the Sugar Bowl.

That's only part of the lore.

Also true are the stories of Tebow's devout Christianity and spring-break mission trips to third-world countries, his motivational speeches in grade schools and maximum-security prisons. He also cares that people respect him for having his religious beliefs, even if they don't necessarily agree. Just because he is a football player — and a very famous one — doesn't mean he will refrain from sharing them.

Tebow and his mother, Pam, appeared this year in a Super Bowl television commercial sponsored by the Colorado Springs-based Christian group Focus on the Family. The commercial, with its anti-abortion message, cost Tebow several mainstream sponsors.

Tebow said he will never try to push his religious beliefs on others, especially in the locker room.

"You have to separate a lot of things with Tim. He's going to share his faith with people. Some people will follow it, some guys won't. With community service, he's going to do his things and some guys will go along and some won't," said Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, a former Florida offensive coordinator who was Tebow's position coach. "But the effect he has in the locker room is when people watch how he works. He's a guy that when he gets in that locker room, he's not going to care if people like him or not. He'll care if people respect him."

Tebow arrived at Florida in the spring of 2006 as one of the nation's top recruits. He had just led Nease High School near Jacksonville — Tebow was home-schooled by his mother, but was allowed to play varsity sports — to a state title. He was the focus of an ESPN documentary and was named Florida's Mr. Football after breaking numerous state records, including the one for all-purpose yards previously held by Anquan Boldin.

Before Tebow even threw a pass at Florida, he won over teammates in the weight room.

"He attacked the workouts like us, the juniors and seniors," said Broncos linebacker Jarvis Moss, who played on that 2006 Florida team. "He outworked everyone on the team, and that's how he gained the respect of a lot of the guys."

Mr. Microscope

Perhaps fans in Denver, and Tebow's new teammates, will also need convincing. With his collegiate success and his outsized personality, there are plenty of fans suffering from Tebow fatigue. He was the most talked-about player in predraft television coverage. His throwing motion was dissected over and over. He was projected by some as a first- round pick, by others as a fourth-rounder. Plenty more said he would never be a starting quarterback in the NFL, let alone a star in the NFL.

"I don't know if there has been anyone under a bigger microscope, at least in college sports, and maybe in all sports, than him in a long time," Mullen said. "That's a lot of pressure for a kid, and it never fazed him once."

Broncos fans were somewhat split too when McDaniels drafted Tebow in the first round, but those who have known Tebow the longest aren't entirely surprised.

"Even since he was young, there were people who either loved him or wanted him to fail," said Craig Howard, Tebow's coach for three years at Nease. "Some people love him too much, and then some people don't even know him and they almost hate him."

Tebow's father, Bob, said he expects his son will find his niche in the Denver community soon enough.

"I'm sure he's going to find a lot of people in Denver to care about and love," he said.

One of Tebow's older brothers may move with him here. Tim is the youngest of Bob's and Pam's five children, and it won't be long before Tebow begins his off-field life here.

But first comes football, including more meetings with McDaniels and sessions in the weight room and his first set of NFL practices.

"When people see how he works, in all our drills, in all our conditioning, that's going to be one of the first things people notice, just how excited he is," Moss said of Tebow. "It might seem like a lot of false enthusiasm, but I don't see any of it as being fake. The second thing is when people get a chance to sit down and talk to him, they'll see his character, what kind of person he is."

broncobryce
04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Wow. This shit is unbelievable. In a good way.

Nomad
04-25-2010, 11:24 AM
This guy may not have the tools (flash) like some QBs (then again we don't know that yet) but he has the will to win and I could give two shits about his stats, if he can lead the BRONCOS to wins that's all I care about! I hope he proves himself to be a great NFL QB and is very successful! As long as he's a BRONCO and wants to be a BRONCO I'll root for him with a glass half full approach unless he proves on the field to be a failure!!

For the ones really concerned, I'm glad he came out and said he won't push religion on anyone!!

Northman
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Time will tell.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
This guy may not have the tools (flash) like some QBs (then again we don't know that yet) but he has the will to win and I could give two shits about his stats, if he can lead the BRONCOS to wins that's all I care about! I hope he proves himself to be a great NFL QB and is very successful! As long as he's a BRONCO and wants to be a BRONCO I'll root for him with a glass half full approach unless he proves on the field to be a failure!!

For the ones really concerned, I'm glad he came out and said he won't push religion on anyone!!

Speaking of religion - this seems to be rubbing some raw when it comes to Tebow - but apparently, they have either NEVER heard Brian Dawkins speak, or if they have, it is OK that Dawkins speaks about his faith on a regular basis. After one of last year's next day press conferences where Coach McD, Orton and Dawkins spoke, one of the members of the press ask Dawkins about how his kids would be celebrating Halloween, and Dawkins was VERY adament in his response - he stated they do NOT celebrate Halloween, and gave his "Christian" reasons for not doing so.

broncobryce
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Speaking of religion - this seems to be rubbing some raw when it comes to Tebow - but apparently, they have either NEVER heard Brian Dawkins speak, or if they have, it is OK that Dawkins speaks about his faith on a regular basis. After one of last year's next day press conferences where Coach McD, Orton and Dawkins spoke, one of the members of the press ask Dawkins about how his kids would be celebrating Halloween, and Dawkins was VERY adament in his response - he stated they do NOT celebrate Halloween, and gave his "Christian" reasons for not doing so.

I pay close attention to this because my wife is a christian, so I always notice when player mention their faith. Dawkins also stated God put him in Denver. I am not that religious, but as long as it's not pushed on people I don't see how it's a bad thing. It's better than someone with low morals who may get into trouble. Thomas also stated that he was a christian. Obviously McDaniels wants guys like Dawkins in the locker room.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
I pay close attention to this because my wife is a christian, so I always notice when player mention their faith. Dawkins also stated God put him in Denver. I am not that religious, but as long as it's not pushed on people I don't see how it's a bad thing. It's better than someone with low morals who may get into trouble. Thomas also stated that he was a christian. Obviously McDaniels wants guys like Dawkins in the locker room.

There was a post in one of the threads I read, which stated Tebow was a Bible thumper :confused: That particular member stated that about Tebow, but I guess in all reality, that particular member should also state that about Dawkins, if that is how he views Tebow, as they both are very much Christian. There have been others in the past who were strong Christians - Gradishar and Meck come to mind, just to name two. My opinion - whether a player has faith or not, should not even come into play.

mateus
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
wow. what a read.
I believe in Tim Tebow.

mateus
04-25-2010, 12:38 PM
There was a post in one of the threads I read, which stated Tebow was a Bible thumper :confused: That particular member stated that about Tebow, but I guess in all reality, that particular member should also state that about Dawkins, if that is how he views Tebow, as they both are very much Christian. There have been others in the past who were strong Christians - Gradishar and Meck come to mind, just to name two. My opinion - whether a player has faith or not, should not even come into play.

it shouldnt but it does.
as a christian, i study in university in electrical engineering and just the meer fact that i've told people gets them riled up in two groups:

a) "so what you think your better than me?"
b) "you realize theres nothing after death right? you might as well enjoy it while your on earth."

i believe in the old days it was the other way around where the christians would go about criticizing people, but society has walked so far from God's ways(and i say that from a christian stand point) that the tables have turned and now its the christians feeling the push.

i don't think this will happen to tim though, in denver i mean, it should have happened way before and i think he's reached the point in his christian walk where he can deal with this sort of thing.

so it shouldnt be a problem.

turftoad
04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks for posting this Carol, not attacking you on this but the article itself.

Nice fluff piece and all but I can find just as many articles that bash the pick also.
I'm not for or against it but reserve my feelings on it til it all plays out.

Religion has nothing to do with the way he'll play QB. There are plenty of other questions about his ability to do so.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM
Nobody is questioning Tebow's passion, effort, and intent. There are lots of players with the same effort who were even better pure QBs who didn't pan out. We can sit here and talk about how he is such a great leader, a "winner," and passionate, but that doesn't mean he is going to pan out or have a great career. Yeah fluff pieces like this one ill take you in, but the fact still remains that this pick was very well a reach and could likely be a bust. Time will tell.

As you say - time will tell - he could end up having a great career, and with time, this pick may also show that it was not a reach, and not a bust. Two sides to everything. The same applies to every player drafted by every team, not just Tebow.

atwater27
04-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Tim Tebow about his first meeting with Josh McDaniels....
" There was passion. It was just intense, and it was ball, and it was juice. The juice level in that room was high, and it was awesome."
[/B]

Okay, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit while laughing hysterically.

atwater27
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Nobody is questioning Tebow's passion, effort, and intent. There are lots of players with the same effort who were even better pure QBs who didn't pan out. We can sit here and talk about how he is such a great leader, a "winner," and passionate, but that doesn't mean he is going to pan out or have a great career. Yeah fluff pieces like this one ill take you in, but the fact still remains that this pick was very well a reach and could likely be a bust. Time will tell.

Great post oh wise one....

broncobryce
04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
As you say - time will tell - he could end up having a great career, and with time, this pick may also show that it was not a reach, and not a bust. Two sides to everything. The same applies to every player drafted by every team, not just Tebow.

Exactly what I was going to say. People act like other picks are guaranteed. We could have selected any QB and they may bust. It's a crapshoot regardless. Also, some are saying 'others work hard and fail'. That's fine, but it's nice to know the guy we just got is going to work his ass off, not just sit back ala Jellyroll Russell and get paid.

turftoad
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM

As they were stroking eachothers egos. :tsk:

honz
04-25-2010, 01:11 PM

I bet none of them were as good, productive, or successful as Tebow was in college though.

BroncoWave
04-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I bet none of them were as good, productive, or successful as Tebow was in college though.

Great point. People want to minimize his drive and effort by saying there are lots of players who have had the same drive and effort, but few if any of those players actually had the success in college that Tebow had to back it up.

It's just so hilarious how a few flaws in his mechanics completely invalidate everything he did in college in some people's eyes.

He's just one of those players that some people are determined to hate regardless of what he actually does on the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Great point. People want to minimize his drive and effort by saying there are lots of players who have had the same drive and effort, but few if any of those players actually had the success in college that Tebow had to back it up.

It's just so hilarious how a few flaws in his mechanics completely invalidate everything he did in college in some people's eyes.

He's just one of those players that some people are determined to hate regardless of what he actually does on the field.

OR - it could be that some people are determined to hate this choice BECAUSE it was made by the current Broncos' regime??????

BroncoWave
04-25-2010, 01:44 PM
OR - it could be that some people are determined to hate this choice BECAUSE it was made by the current Broncos' regime??????

Good point as well. We could go 16-0 and win the super bowl this year and some would complain about McD because we didn't win the super bowl by enough points.

spikerman
04-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Good point as well. We could go 16-0 and win the super bowl this year and some would complain about McD because we didn't win the super bowl by enough points.

Between you and me I don't think that's a scenario we're going to have to worry about for at least a few years.

BroncoWave
04-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Between you and me I don't think that's a scenario we're going to have to worry about for at least a couple of years.

My point is that no matter what McD does, some on here will find a way to bash him.

spikerman
04-25-2010, 01:53 PM
My point is that no matter what McD does, some on here will find a way to bash him.
True, and I'm guilty of that as well, but that works both ways. Even when he does screw up there will be people who will refuse to see the mistakes because he is the head coach of the Broncos.

I can admit that I don't like the guy, at the same time I would love to have my opinion changed about him so I'm trying to keep somewhat of an open mind (but it's tough).

BroncoWave
04-25-2010, 01:55 PM
True, and I'm guilty of that as well, but that works both ways. Even when he does screw up there will be people who will refuse to see the mistakes because he is the head coach of the Broncos.

I can admit that I don't like the guy, at the same time I would love to have my opinion changed about him so I'm trying to keep somewhat of an open mind (but it's tough).

I don't know if you can use that as the reason. Alot of those who only praise McD bashed Shanny just as much.

Tned
04-25-2010, 01:57 PM

Come on, you know that virtually nobody would fall into that category.

BroncoWave
04-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Come on, you know that virtually nobody would fall into that category.

You're right, most of those who constantly bash McD would probably be nowhere to be seen in that scenario, much like when we were 6-0, but they were sure to show their faces again once we started losing some games.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 02:10 PM
You're right, most of those who constantly bash McD would probably be nowhere to be seen in that scenario, much like when we were 6-0, but they were sure to show their faces again once we started losing some games.

UH YEAH - people started showing up here after we started losing some games, like -----, and --------, and etc., etc., etc.:D

Tned
04-25-2010, 02:10 PM

Most of the people that 'bash' McDaniels and have been labeled as 'haters' have been critical of specific decisions/actions that McDaniels has made. Just like how many of the ardent McDaniels supporters have been highly critical of the Tebow pick.

Are there a tiny handful of people that just hate McDaniels? Sure, just like there were/are a handful that hate Shanahan with a passion, but even those McDaniels haters in most cases became such based on his actions, not just that they don't like the way he looks.

If he turned the franchise around and made some deep playoff runs, almost all of them would feel differently about him. Right now, they believe his decisions are setting the Broncos back, not moving them forward. Almost all of them would love to be proven wrong about McDaniels and the moves he has made.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 02:14 PM

I DON'T believe there is one NFL head coach who has NEVER screwed up - past, present, or yet to come. However, I don't think anyone can disagree with me when I say that some on here are MUCH more apt to point out what they feel Coach McD has done wrong in his very SHORT tenure as Broncos' head coach, and NEVER pointed out what they feel the past head coach did wrong - maybe because they felt the past head coach was PERFECT

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Most of the people that 'bash' McDaniels and have been labeled as 'haters' have been critical of specific decisions/actions that McDaniels has made. Just like how many of the ardent McDaniels supporters have been highly critical of the Tebow pick.

Are there a tiny handful of people that just hate McDaniels? Sure, just like there were/are a handful that hate Shanahan with a passion, but even those McDaniels haters in most cases became such based on his actions, not just that they don't like the way he looks.

If he turned the franchise around and made some deep playoff runs, almost all of them would feel differently about him. Right now, they believe his decisions are setting the Broncos back, not moving them forward. Almost all of them would love to be proven wrong about McDaniels and the moves he has made.

Don't forget the lip smacking ;)

spikerman
04-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I DON'T believe there is one NFL head coach who has NEVER screwed up - past, present, or yet to come. However, I don't think anyone can disagree with me when I say that some on here are MUCH more apt to point out what they feel Coach McD has done wrong in his very SHORT tenure as Broncos' head coach, and NEVER pointed out what they feel the past head coach did wrong - maybe because they felt the past head coach was PERFECT I can honestly say that I was/am a Shanahan fan, but I was critical of him at times as well. I often slammed him for seemingly not having the team ready to play and for ignoring the defense. I know your post wasn't directed at me personally (at least I hope it wasn't), but I'm an equal opportunity criticizer. :D

I'd like to think that I wouldn't criticize McDaniels just because I'm not a fan of his, but I'd never say that a personal bias doesn't come into play. I have found quite a few reasons to criticize his decisions, though.

mateus
04-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I DON'T believe there is one NFL head coach who has NEVER screwed up - past, present, or yet to come. However, I don't think anyone can disagree with me when I say that some on here are MUCH more apt to point out what they feel Coach McD has done wrong in his very SHORT tenure as Broncos' head coach, and NEVER pointed out what they feel the past head coach did wrong - maybe because they felt the past head coach was PERFECT

THIS
is a constant problem in sports as most fans ask the same question over and over: what have you done for me lately?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
I can honestly say that I was/am a Shanahan fan, but I was critical of him at times as well. I often slammed him for seemingly not having the team ready to play and for ignoring the defense. I know your post wasn't directed at me personally (at least I hope it wasn't), but I'm an equal opportunity criticizer. :D

I'd like to think that I wouldn't criticize McDaniels just because I'm not a fan of his, but I'd never say that a personal bias doesn't come into play. I have found quite a few reasons to criticize his decisions, though.

This is what bothers me for anyone it applies to. When people call up TheFan and speak with Mike Evans, over and over again, he will ask or state WHY was Shanahan given the pass by so many, yet the same are so EAGER to bash Coach McD

Tned
04-25-2010, 02:48 PM
This is what bothers me for anyone it applies to. When people call up TheFan and speak with Mike Evans, over and over again, he will ask or state WHY was Shanahan given the pass by so many, yet the same are so EAGER to bash Coach McD

Same reason a veteran player gets a pass when a rookie doesn't, they have 'proven' that they deserve the pass.

Shanahan led the Broncos to two SB victories, and during his tenure, the Broncos were one of the winningest teams in the NFL. He managed to turnover the roster about three times, without the Broncos ever experiencing the low, single digit win seasons that is typical of rebuilding in the cyclical NFL.

Coach McDaniels has done none of that. He hasn't 'earned' the right to be given a pass on decisions that appear questionable to many.

broncohead
04-25-2010, 03:03 PM

As Tned said, I'm sure the super bowls have something to do with it. Get us a trophy and he'll get his share off passes.

spikerman
04-25-2010, 03:04 PM
Same reason a veteran player gets a pass when a rookie doesn't, they have 'proven' that they deserve the pass.

Shanahan led the Broncos to two SB victories, and during his tenure, the Broncos were one of the winningest teams in the NFL. He managed to turnover the roster about three times, without the Broncos ever experiencing the low, single digit win seasons that is typical of rebuilding in the cyclical NFL.

Coach McDaniels has done none of that. He hasn't 'earned' the right to be given a pass on decisions that appear questionable to many.

I think this sums up my feelings very well. You just said it much better than I could have. Thanks.

atwater27
04-25-2010, 03:10 PM

And my point is that no matter what McD does, some on here will find a way to defend him.

atwater27
04-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Bullshit. Shanahan sucked at defense. and his GM duties were basically what was causing that. Oh no, there goes your theory. Thanks for playing.

Northman
04-25-2010, 04:09 PM
I can honestly say that I was/am a Shanahan fan, but I was critical of him at times as well. I often slammed him for seemingly not having the team ready to play and for ignoring the defense. I know your post wasn't directed at me personally (at least I hope it wasn't), but I'm an equal opportunity criticizer. :D

Depends on the arguement being made.

Grover
04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Seems like the conversation has gotten a bit off topic. We've segued from an article about Tim Tebow to a discussion on Shanahan vs. McDaniels. Not that I'm complaining, it's just that I don't particularly want to go there.

I don't follow college ball much, so I didn't know much about Tim Tebow. I've never heard that he played a game in high school with a broken leg, and I probably couldn't have even told you what team he played for in college, other than I knew he was in Florida someplace.

But I'm excited about him as a Bronco. Because he works hard and is excited about being here. I like the fact he talks about earning the respect of his teammates as the important thing. How many players state something like they "want to be rookie of the year" when asked about their goals. How refreshing is it when someone says something like, I want to come in, work hard, earn the respect of my coaches and teammates, and things will take care of themselves. (That's not a direct quote, I'm just paraphrasing.)

You gotta love the kid's attitude. McDaniels has shown us he's a rah rah kind of person in the New England game, and the MF game. So I'm not at all surprised that the two hit it off.

I think Kyle Orton has enough moxie of his own not to let this affect his play. I think he'll work hard and compete, and not get all bent like Plummer and Cutler did. I also think there's a chance that Jarvis Moss will use this as a bit of inspiration and we might just see some improvement in him. I'm not putting any money on that one, but it wouldn't surprise me if Tim Tebow brings the best out in Jarvis Moss, and also makes some of his other teammates try just a bit harder, and be just a bit better than they were before.

And before someone calls the above a fluff piece, let me just say that I know it's early, but as long as you're projecting how players will do, I'd rather be optimistic and project them to be successful, than be pessimistic and project them to fail. Tebow has a history of success, to think that history will reverse itself now that he's a Bronco, is crazy stupid.

Lonestar
04-25-2010, 04:48 PM

I remember when he was hired, some of that lame assed comments.

He smacks his lips when he talks, he is to short, he is not a skilled in front of a camera. He is to young to be a HC, he will have players not eh team older than he is they will never respect him.
he has short man syndrome.

Mostly before he picked up the phones then it flat got vindictive. the team only has room for one EGO.

Mostly a load of BE Bovine Excrement.

Lonestar
04-25-2010, 05:02 PM

As have most at first I was concerned about his replacing the LS but then I heard raving reviews of him during snapping drills. When the Punter says that he first came to him and ASKED where he wanted the snap high, low, left or right. He told Lonnie and then put it there all the time. On the money every time.

That was when the light bulb came on for me. that this KID had that much fore sight into getting almost perfection on the field IN a very (to most fans) insignificant part of the game.

When he practiced how to run onto the field and where he wanted the players to stand or sit before the first Pre season game that told me he had thought of every minute detail that would make him a great coach.

How he wanted the QB to use the same cadence in the huddle and calling the signals at the LOS. SO if one QB went down we would not see OLIN or other players going in motion and causing penalties.

It is the little thing I would have NEVER thought of that will help him not only survive but rise to the winning level we deserve.

NOw He may not make it as a HC the jury perhaps better said (arm chair QB) know more than he does on organizing the team and carrying out the leadership.

But it is plain to me this guys has the right stuff and I hope he takes us to multiple Lombardi's.

Lonestar
04-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Bullshit. Shanahan sucked at defense. and his GM duties were basically what was causing that. Oh no, there goes your theory. Thanks for playing.

But then so many were willing to give him a pass on all of that, "because" he got them two Lombardi's. They were willing to settle for less when they for the most part knew he would never fix the D and probably take a daces to balance out the lousy personnel decision he had made the prior decade.

As long as everyone KNOWS why mike was fired and realizes it will be a long time before Josh gets to the threshold IMO.

atwater27
04-25-2010, 05:33 PM
But then so many were willing to give him a pass on all of that, "because" he got them two Lombardi's. They were willing to settle for less when they for the most part knew he would never fix the D and probably take a daces to balance out the lousy personnel decision he had made the prior decade.

As long as everyone KNOWS why mike was fired and realizes it will be a long time before Josh gets to the threshold IMO.

Well, he got 2 more Lombardi's than Josh has, so I guess we'll have to see how much you'll end up hating McDaniels down the line if we don't win any with him.

xzn
04-26-2010, 10:13 AM

That says more about you than anything else... jus' sayin'...

atwater27
04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
That says more about you than anything else... jus' sayin'...

Come on! " There was passion. It was just intense, and it was ball, and it was juice. The juice level in that room was high, and it was awesome."

It was ball? it was juice? One man speaking to another about passion, balls and juice? If you aren't either laughing hysterically or curling your lip in disgust or both, you aren't a man.

BroncoWave
04-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Come on! " There was passion. It was just intense, and it was ball, and it was juice. The juice level in that room was high, and it was awesome."

It was ball? it was juice? One man speaking to another about passion, balls and juice? If you aren't either laughing hysterically or curling your lip in disgust or both, you aren't a child.

Fixed.

atwater27
04-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Fixed.

oh christ. get a sense of humor.

BroncoWave
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
oh christ. get a sense of humor.

Trust me, I find many immature things very funny. I just didn't find that quote funny. Guess I'm not a man! :lol:

atwater27
04-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Trust me, I find many immature things very funny. I just didn't find that quote funny. Guess I'm not a man! :lol:

I think it is because it involves Tebow and you are in Tebow defense mode. I like the kid too and I hope the best for him. Doesn't mean I can't laugh at a totally innocent but funy statement.

BroncoWave
04-26-2010, 09:10 PM
I think it is because it involves Tebow and you are in Tebow defense mode. I like the kid too and I hope the best for him. Doesn't mean I can't laugh at a totally innocent but funy statement.

Nah, I have cracked plenty a joke about Tebow before, I actually posted a pic making fun of him the other day. I just thought that line was a bit of a stretch to be turned into a sexual joke. Maybe if he had actually said "balls" instead of just "ball".

atwater27
04-26-2010, 09:13 PM
And now, our lengthy discussion of how funny it was or wasn't has now ruined it even further. buzzkill!

BroncoJoe
04-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Not sure how you couldn't like this guy.

WARHORSE
04-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Not so.

Ryan Leaf was a reach.

Klingler was a reach.

Akili Smith was a reach.

But we wont know whether Tebow was a reach.........or a steal.

Joe Montana was a steal.

Tom Brady was a heist.

TD was a steal.

Thats the way it works in the NFL draft.

Give the pick some time. We'll see where it all ends up sooner or later.

WARHORSE
04-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks for posting this Carol, not attacking you on this but the article itself.

Nice fluff piece and all but I can find just as many articles that bash the pick also.
I'm not for or against it but reserve my feelings on it til it all plays out.

Religion has nothing to do with the way he'll play QB. There are plenty of other questions about his ability to do so.

Saying religion has nothing to do with the way he plays is like saying the rain has nothing to do with the flowers growing.

Everybodys backrounds and experiences have innumerable effects on us.

Tebow is no different.

Nobody gets upset if one talks about how great the Broncos are.

But if one talks about how great God is.....then its 'pushing' ones religion on others.

Tolerance of others is a fickle thing.........

Ravage!!!
04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Ryan Leaf was rated above Manning going into the draft... how is taking him at #2 a 'reach?' That makes no sense. If you want to look with hindsight, that can go with any player, at any position. Its not considered a "reach" if you take a player where they are ranked amonst the talent coming out.... its absurd to look BACk and call a player a 'reach.'

WARHORSE
04-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Ryan Leaf was rated above Manning going into the draft... how is taking him at #2 a 'reach?' That makes no sense. If you want to look with hindsight, that can go with any player, at any position. Its not considered a "reach" if you take a player where they are ranked amonst the talent coming out.... its absurd to look BACk and call a player a 'reach.'

Guess it depends on whos ranking the players right?

This is not science.

It is OPINION.

When youre using your OWN opinion to "RATE" a player, then theres no such thing as a reach, is there?

Ravage!!!
04-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Guess it depends on whos ranking the players right?

This is not science.

It is OPINION.

When youre using your OWN opinion to "RATE" a player, then theres no such thing as a reach, is there?

You are the one that called these players a 'reach' .. yes?

Simply put, they aren't reaches. These guys may be looked back upon as busts because they didn't meet up to expectations...but taking a top player at a top position isn't a reach.

I don't know what your definition of 'reach' is. But EVERY coach takes the players they "think" are going to be best for the team. EVERY coach 'ranks" their players as to what THEY want. Thus this.."He picked the players he thought was best for the team" is not an excuse for reaching. In fact, its almost an absolute redundant comment to even make.

Reaching is taking a player much earlier than you needed to.

If you KNEW that Tom Brady would be so good, would you take him in the first round if you could go back in time? Why? Why would you if you know he will be available in the 5th or 6th? Same with Terrell Davis. If we could go back in time, would you take him in the 1st overall pick? Why if you know that you can get him in the 6th? Thats REACHING for a player to simply take them early based on what "you" think, instead of taking the player when you get the most value for them.

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 10:32 PM

Yeah there are some that are more apt to point McDaniels mistake just as there are some more apt defend him blindly and are automatically dismissive at the slight hint of criticism.

McDaniels in many respects goes about his in the same way Shanahan did and yet no complaints by those who more apt defend him. Case in point, McDaniels used free agency in attempt up grade his defensive line. He even brought in 34 year-old nose tackle whose had health issue over past few years where are complaints. The same crowd that is silent now bitched up storm when Shanahan did an identical move several years back.

The people I think you might be referring as thinking that Shanahan was perfect I would bet many didn't think he was perfect. Maybe those who are so quick to defend McDaniels at the drop of a hat think he's perfect?