View Full Version : Broncos hire Xanders as new assistant GM

DenBronx
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9100102

Source: Xanders new assistant GM
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 04/29/2008 11:53:45 PM MDT

Mike Shanahan just got himself an "X" factor.

Brian Xanders, a young but experienced NFL executive assistant, has reached an agreement on a three-year contract to become the Broncos' new assistant general manager, an NFL source confirmed.

After spending the past 14 years with the Atlanta Falcons as a coach, evaluator, contract negotiator and salary capologist, Xanders, 37, will give Shanahan a new perspective and voice.

Although there has been a front-office opening at Dove Valley since general manager Ted Sundquist was dismissed seven weeks ago, no one will specifically fill his position. Xanders and Jeff Goodman will hold titles as assistant GMs while Jim Goodman, as the Broncos' director of player personnel, would be considered Shanahan's top deputy. With Xanders' responsibilities in Denver expanded from his work in Atlanta, Mike Bluem will continue as the Broncos' salary cap manager.

Although the Falcons are restructuring their front office, they tried to entice Xanders to stay in an increased capacity. Xanders, who had offers from several teams, viewed the position with the Broncos as a most attractive opportunity.

The Broncos are expected to formally announce the hiring of Xanders next week.

Xanders played middle linebacker for Bobby Bowden at Florida State, and, just as important, graduated with a master's degree in business administration. Xanders and his wife, Amy, have a son, Reid, 5.

DenBronx
04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds like a GM's by commitee to me.

NightTrainLayne
04-30-2008, 02:48 PM
I welcome him. . .I mean the Falcons player evaluation has been spot on these past few years. . .

Damn, nevermind.

OB
04-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Do you pronounce it Zanders or X-zanders

I have arguments with people n looked it up - about Xaiver - I say Zavier - others say X-zaiver

According to the net - both are right

For reasons i dont want to explain - how do you think it should be pronounced

Also - yay - i guess - asst GM ehhh :coffee: whats it take to be one of those a cousins uncles nephew

LRtagger
04-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Why anyone would turn down offers from other teams to be the second assistant GM in Denver is beyond me. They must have put together a stellar contract for him. 2 or 3 bad seasons and you are toast under Mikey. He has been with the Falcons since he was 23 though, that is pretty impressive.

DenBronx
04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Why anyone would turn down offers from other teams to be the second assistant GM in Denver is beyond me. They must have put together a stellar contract for him. 2 or 3 bad seasons and you are toast under Mikey. He has been with the Falcons since he was 23 though, that is pretty impressive.

i think he is just trying to build on his resume.

Broncospsycho77
04-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Hopefully he's not a "Yes" man and gives the GM-cabinet some good pointers about the future of this team.

Retired_Member_001
04-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Oh look, another scapegoat...

Lonestar
04-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh look, another scapegoat...

X ACTLY my thought.. now mikey can point to someone else to get rid of a the end of this upcoming season..

Hope he knows how to gofer..

LRtagger
04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
X ACTLY

:rofl::rofl::rofl: