DT - Robertson, Thomas, Mckinley, Powell, Harris
OLB - Williams, Bailey, Winborn, Woodyard
MLB - Niko, Larsen, Webster
CB - Bailey, Bly, Foxworth, Paymah, Williams
S - Lynch, Abdullah, McCree, Barrett
P - Paulescu
K - Prater

Couple notes...

My last cut was Mustard... I personally prefer keeping him over Nate Jackson, but I don't think Shanny will.

We have some flexibility with the Oline... we have some hybrids. The Oline is shaping up nicely for the future... especially if Harris pans out as a RT.

I went especially heavy on defense. We need depth at DE due to situational pass-rushers Doom and Moss. I like having five DT's for rotation purposes.

You can't have enough LB's for special teams.

I kept Torain, Alridge, and Woodyard off the PS due to I think they will get plucked from there pretty quick.

Licky will go to IR for the year... saves a roster spot plus gives him time to learn.

Man, I hope Barrett pans out... he could be a steal with his measurables and athletic ability.

Notable cuts... Mike Bell, Ekuban, Louis Green, Taylor Jacobs, Josh Mallard, Marquand Manuel, Glenn Martinez, Chad Mustard, Sammie Parker, and Casey Wiegmann

claymore
04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
If Ekuban is healthy I think he stays. But It looks pretty good to me Bill. Hopefully Torain makes a huge splash and suplants Henry as the starter.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 09:11 AM
I'll take Peterson over Ekuban everyday... bigger, stronger, cheaper, and younger. Peterson needs to be in on 1st and 2nd down to help stop the run.

Sub in Moss and Doom for passing downs or situations and when we're up by 24 in the 4th quarter and the other team is forced to pass every play.

LRtagger
04-30-2008, 09:13 AM
No way Kory Lichtensteiger is not on the roster when the season starts.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 09:17 AM
I noted that he should be put onto IR... why place him on the PS to potentially get stolen?

He needs a year to learn the ropes and we can save a very valuable roster spot putting him on IR where he can't get touched and still learn.

LRtagger
04-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I noted that he should be put onto IR... why place him on the PS to potentially get stolen?

He needs a year to learn the ropes and we can save a very valuable roster spot putting him on IR where he can't get touched and still learn.

Ooops...missed that. I still think he will be on the roster and not on the PS or IR. He would be a very solid STer. I think Hall may get the axe and we will see Royal/Williams/Alridge returning kicks.

claymore
04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Side note, I think our ST are going to be much improved, much faster this year.

LRtagger
04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
That is one thing I know the draft improved which I am happy about. All of the rookies who do not start are going to be solid ST contributors.

Royal, Williams, Licht, Larson, Hillis, Alridge, Barrett, maybe even Torrain/Powell

claymore
04-30-2008, 09:53 AM
That is one thing I know the draft improved which I am happy about. All of the rookies who do not start are going to be solid ST contributors.

Royal, Williams, Licht, Larson, Hillis, Alridge, Barrett, maybe even Torrain/Powell
I hope Scott Obrien was the Coach he was touted to be. I think we got allot faster, and now have more hunger. Lets cross our fingers and hope we can kick the ball now.

Superchop 7
04-30-2008, 10:22 AM
We have a few guys that are bubble guys, truth of the matter is, injuries (to other players) will keep them around and get them an opportunity.

Hall and Sapp probably go.

Wiegmann and Parker hang around.

Ekuban depends on how well he is physically.

Your roster does look very good btw.....nice work.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
If Ekuban is healthy I think he stays. But It looks pretty good to me Bill. Hopefully Torain makes a huge splash and suplants Henry as the starter.

Ekuban is the best run-stopper among the DEs and is decent in the pass rush
when healthy. Toward the end of the 2006 season, before he was hurt, he
was playing like a man possessed. I don't think he's going anywhere soon.

But the roster looks good for the most part.

-----

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
To me one essential part of having good special teams is stocking them with fast, athletic, smart, hungry linebackers and DB's.

We are going in the right direction there.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Ekuban is the best run-stopper among the DEs and is decent in the pass rush
when healthy. Toward the end of the 2006 season, before he was hurt, he
was playing like a man possessed. I don't think he's going anywhere soon.

-----After his injury coupled with his age the end of the 2006 season is a looooooooong time agoooooooo!!!

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Ooops...missed that. I still think he will be on the roster and not on the PS or IR. He would be a very solid STer. I think Hall may get the axe and we will see Royal/Williams/Alridge returning kicks.If you keep him who do you let go?

That's why I think IR is perfect... especially coming off the shoulder surgery. We don't need him this year. Let him learn and keep that very valuable roster spot open for someone else.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM

Potentially? Licky gets nabbed the day he hits the PS.

-----

NameUsedBefore
04-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Maybe it's just me, but just by looking at that roster it looks like we're banking on a lot of potential which is just asking for a pretty bad crash and burn season, IMO. I mean look at that team. Not exactly the most outstanding unit and when you take into account all the injuries that will inevitably happen over the course of the season it gets even messier... I think we're gonna need some diamonds in the rough to really show up for us if we're going to be competitive, IMO.

G_Money
04-30-2008, 10:43 AM
If you keep him who do you let go?

That's why I think IR is perfect... especially coming off the shoulder surgery. We don't need him this year. Let him learn and keep that very valuable roster spot open for someone else.

The problem is you're going into the season with 7 OL on the active roster(unless I can't count) - two of whom missed the majority or all of last season.

Ben Hamilton gets hit in the head and we're instantly scrambling. Nalen's arm goes out again, he calls it a career and we are similarly in a panic for a solution - especially if Kuper beats out Harris and Pears for the RT spot. Harris can play LG, but he's not exactly intimately familiar with the position.

I think Lick will determine his own roster placement. If they don't feel he can adequately back up Hamilton/Holland at the guard spots then they'll IR him.

If he can...then I think the Broncos would prefer to carry 8 OL, just based on last year's injury tally. And Lick would be one of the 8. JMO.

~G

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM

-----I said put him on IR not the PS... people have missed reading that a couple times already.

No way he goes to the PS... he will be gone before he can even find an apartment in Denver.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
After his injury coupled with his age the end of the 2006 season is a looooooooong time agoooooooo!!!

True, but he is 31, not exactly a candidate for hospice. He has size, power,
experience, and leadership. He is an upgrade over Engelberger, much as I do
like the latter for his motor. I still believe he stays this year.

Also, I think Hall is on the bubble. Probably his greatest value was on ST, but
Royal and Alridge might supplant him there, depending on how he does on KOs,
where Royal's numbers were so-so in college . . . Royal's forté is punt returns.
My hopes are that Royal shows the same excellent in KOs in the pros so they
don't have to hang onto someone for that capacity alone. It would seem Hall's
and Alridge's value at RB would be marginal, especially with the talent that is
shaping up there.

I also like Baugher at punter. His distancer, hang time, and placement were
jaw-dropping at UA. Hopefully, he has his injuries out of the way and will
show what he can do.

-----

MHCBill
The problem is you're going into the season with 7 OL on the active roster(unless I can't count) - two of whom missed the majority or all of last season.

Ben Hamilton gets hit in the head and we're instantly scrambling. Nalen's arm goes out again, he calls it a career and we are similarly in a panic for a solution - especially if Kuper beats out Harris and Pears for the RT spot. Harris can play LG, but he's not exactly intimately familiar with the position.

I think Lick will determine his own roster placement. If they don't feel he can adequately back up Hamilton/Holland at the guard spots then they'll IR him.

If he can...then I think the Broncos would prefer to carry 8 OL, just based on last year's injury tally. And Lick would be one of the 8. JMO.

~GI agree G with your assessment, but I think if Hamilton/Nalen go down that's when the front office will go resign a retread like Wiegmann or PJ Alexander.

We can go with 7 OL on the active roster during the season assuming no one has a season ending injury. There's enough "hybrids" there to cover each other.

However, if someone goes down for the year it's time to bring someone up from the PS or sign a street free agent.

Using a valuable roster spot for Lick this years seems like it could cost us somewhere else.

Just my opinion. Interesting arguement.

topscribe
I said put him on IR not the PS... people have missed reading that a couple times already.

No way he goes to the PS... he will be gone before he can even find an apartment in Denver.

I know what you said. I was agreeing with you.

-----

LRtagger
04-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I agree G with your assessment, but I think if Hamilton/Nalen go down that's when the front office will go resign a retread like Wiegmann or PJ Alexander.

We can go with 7 OL on the active roster during the season assuming no one has a season ending injury. There's enough "hybrids" there to cover each other.

However, if someone goes down for the year it's time to bring someone up from the PS or sign a street free agent.

Using a valuable roster spot for Lick this years seems like it could cost us somewhere else.

Just my opinion. Interesting arguement.

Good post and good points.

Only time will tell. I guess it could go either way.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 10:56 AM
True, but he is 31, not exactly a candidate for hospice. He has size, power,
experience, and leadership. He is an upgrade over Engelberger, much as I do
like the latter for his motor. I still believe he stays this year.

Also, I think Hall is on the bubble. Probably his greatest value was on ST, but
Royal and Alridge might supplant him there, depending on how he does on KOs,
where Royal's numbers were so-so in college . . . Royal's forté is punt returns.
My hopes are that Royal shows the same excellent in KOs in the pros so they
don't have to hang onto someone for that capacity alone. It would seem Hall's
and Alridge's value at RB would be marginal, especially with the talent that is
shaping up there.

-----To me... Ekuban or Engleberger, not both.

I still like Andre Hall and I think he should be given every chance to be our #1 back. I think it's a shame he is given more of a chance to carry the ball 20-25 times a game. I actually like him more than Henry.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 10:59 AM
To me... Ekuban or Engleberger, not both.

I still like Andre Hall and I think he should be given every chance to be our #1 back. I think it's a shame he is given more of a chance to carry the ball 20-25 times a game. I actually like him more than Henry.

Yes, very well may be.

I also added a bit to my post about Baugher.

-----

xzn
04-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Good thread thanks for the insights. I have an open question for anyone.

Did Weigman start for the Chefs last year? Wasn't he a pretty good player? Has he suffered some serious injury? Do we just discount him because he was a Chef?

On paper he seems like he'd not only make the roster but push for a starting gig at one of the guard spots.... what am I missing?

TIA,

X

Requiem / The Dagda
04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Mini-camps haven't been held. OTA's haven't been held, neither has the main camp. It's impossible to predict our opening day roster.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Mini-camps haven't been held. OTA's haven't been held, neither has the main camp. It's impossible to predict our opening day roster.

No, but it's fun. Besides, we need something to talk about besides "*******s." ;)

-----

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 02:04 PM
WOW! Really? I thought the season started tomorrow.

Thanks for the wonderful insight.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Good thread thanks for the insights. I have an open question for anyone.

Did Weigman start for the Chefs last year? Wasn't he a pretty good player? Has he suffered some serious injury? Do we just discount him because he was a Chef?

On paper he seems like he'd not only make the roster but push for a starting gig at one of the guard spots.... what am I missing?

TIA,

XWho would you rather see cut from my 53-man roster so that Wiegmann can have a spot?

I couldn't find anyone to cut instead of Wiegmann.

Nature Boy
04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Where's Kory Lichtensteiger? You're missing at least 2 more O-Lineman. You can't have only 7 Olineman in an NFL roster.

Nature Boy
04-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Abdullah, Hall, Barret, Torian, one, a couple or all those guys will be on the practice squad.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Where's Kory Lichtensteiger? You're missing at least 2 more O-Lineman. You can't have only 7 Olineman in an NFL roster.If you read closely you would have noticed that I think Lick should be put on IR. He's coming off shoulder surgery and with the amount of "hybrid" Olinemen we have I don't really think we need him using up a very valuable roster spot.

We can't stick him on the PS or he will be gone before he even finds a good chinese take-out restaurant in Denver.

Who needs more than 7 OL dressed for a game anyway? If someone goes down with a season ending injury then we scrape Wiegmann or a PJ Alexander type off the street.

Roster spots are too valuable with all of the youth on this team to add an "extra" OL just because we should have 8 instead of 7.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Abdullah, Hall, Barret, Torian, one, a couple or all those guys will be on the practice squad.Arguing with someone who doesn't understand NFL roster rules is pretty pointless, but nonetheless I'll subject myself to it.

Abdullah and Hall can not be put on the PS. They've played too much to be eligible.

I would be very worried that Torain or Barrett would be plucked off of there that it's not worth the risk to me.

Nature Boy
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
7 Olineman is not enough at any given moment in any game.

Nature Boy
04-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Arguing with someone who doesn't understand NFL roster rules is pretty pointless, but nonetheless I'll subject myself to it.

Abdullah and Hall can not be put on the PS. They've played too much to be eligible.

I would be very worried that Torain or Barrett would be plucked off of there that it's not worth the risk to me.

1st off, I think Abdullah sucks. Also, you're assuming that Torain and Barret is any good. We'll just have to see how they perform in the pre-season. If Torain pans out, Hall is gone.

MHCBill
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
7 Olineman is not enough at any given moment in any game.Really... you notice a lot of seven olinemen in the game at once?

I love the line from the movie "The Rainmaker"... you must be stupid, stupid, stupid.

Anyone ever see "The Rainmaker"? Great book!!!

topscribe
04-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Maybe it's just me, but just by looking at that roster it looks like we're banking on a lot of potential which is just asking for a pretty bad crash and burn season, IMO. I mean look at that team. Not exactly the most outstanding unit and when you take into account all the injuries that will inevitably happen over the course of the season it gets even messier... I think we're gonna need some diamonds in the rough to really show up for us if we're going to be competitive, IMO.

Okay, let's take a look:

QB - Cutler. Enough said.
RB - Henry, Young, Torain, Hall. All can get yardage, some have power, some can score from anywhere (Torain seems a little bit of both).
WR - Marshall, Stokley, Jackson, Royal, Colbert, Parker. Speed galore, except Marshall, who is just one of the best is all.
TE - Scheffler, Graham - Terrific receiver and devastating blocker
C - Nalen. Nasty Nails.
G - Holland, Hamilton, Kuper. Capable, and Kuper's a stud.
T - Clady, Pears, Harris, and maybe Kuper. Well, yes, questions. But loaded with talent in Clady and Harris (doesn't necessarily mean performance, but it helps).

DT - Thomas, Robertson, Powell, McKinley. Studs (well, besides McKinley, maybe).
DE - Ekuban, Crowder, Moss, Dumervil, Peterson, Engelberger. What's to lack?
LB - Koutouvides, D.J., Boss, Winborn, Larsen. Studs.
CB - Champ, Bly, Foxy, Paymah. Best group in the business, IMO.
S - Lynch, McCree, Abdullah, Manuel, Barrett. No superstars, but still power and speed.

I'm sorry, but what's not to like with this group? :confused:

-----

Nature Boy
04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Really... you notice a lot of seven olinemen in the game at once?

I love the line from the movie "The Rainmaker"... you must be stupid, stupid, stupid.

In a jumbo package there's 6 lineman. Never seen 7 before.

Lineman seem to drop like flies sometimes. 7 fatties up front is not enough. Unless you wanna ask your TE to play Tackle in emergencies.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
In a jumbo package there's 6 lineman. Never seen 7 before.

Lineman seem to drop like flies sometimes. 7 fatties up front is not enough. Unless you wanna ask your TE to play Tackle in emergencies.

That may be a good reason to hang onto Mustard . . .

-----

Hobe
04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
One possible glitch, a third QB. I know Shanny has been going with two QBs for years. However, he always had a QB on the practice squad and I’ve heard that he was not uncomfortable with the thought of Ron Smith as the E-backup. Smith is gone and the two FA QBs on the rooster don’t even have NFL Europe experience. Shanny may have to invest a little more in the third QB area this year.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 03:03 PM
One possible glitch, a third QB. I know Shanny has been going with two QBs for years. However, he always had a QB on the practice squad and I’ve heard that he was not uncomfortable with the thought of Ron Smith as the E-backup. Smith is gone and the two FA QBs on the rooster don’t even have NFL Europe experience. Shanny may have to invest a little more in the third QB area this year.

Well, Darrell Hackney has been on the squad the last couple years, mostly on
the practice squad. He is liked for his mobility and strong arm, and his 248 lbs.
That's probably good as you're going to get as a #3. No one worthy of
starting is going to play long where he can't start.

BTW, I know it's a typo, but it's "Rod Smith." :D

-----

xzn
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
Who would you rather see cut from my 53-man roster so that Wiegmann can have a spot?

I couldn't find anyone to cut instead of Wiegmann.

Dude, you don't need to be so defensive. You posted this to have a discussion, right? Or were you hoping that everyone would just proclaim you a personnell genius.

My question was not if Wiegmann would make the roster but why he wouldn't compete to start?

BTW, six RBs and only 7 OLs is never going to happen...

Nature Boy
04-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Really... you notice a lot of seven olinemen in the game at once?

Actually, Nebraska in the early 90's used to line up 7 lineman, and 1 WR or sometimes none.

You know, I seen that movie you're talking about. My Jr. High teach Mr. Dumas, just like you, loves that movie.

topscribe
04-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Dude, you don't need to be so defensive. You posted this to have a discussion, right? Or were you hoping that everyone would just proclaim you a personnell genius.

My question was not if Wiegmann would make the roster but why he wouldn't compete to start?

BTW, six RBs and only 7 OLs is never going to happen...

Funny, I didn't take Bill's post that way.

Nonetheless, can we all of us just calm it all down?

Is everybody on speed today or what? :couch:

-----

xzn
04-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Wiegman has a 111 game starting streak, which is the third longest in the league. After looking him up I see that he is only 285 so unless Holland screws up a lot in camp I see why he probably wouldn't start.

However, if Kuper is moved to Tackle as a reserve or starter I can't see how we wouldn't keep Wiegman around as veteran insurance against Hamilton and Nalen's injury history.

If the Ryan boys are our bookend OTs and we have Ben, Tom and Montrae in the middle the reserves would be in pretty good shape with Pears as a reserve OT, Kuper as a OG or OT and Wiegman as a reserve Center.

7 OL is not enough to go through a season.

I do agree with Lichtensteiger on the IR for this season and see him taking Wiegman's spot next year. If Kory is healthy enough to do it this year than maybe we keep the young guy but it'd be better to let him get his feet wet in the NFL on the IR will Wiegman keeps his seat warm.

Who would I cut to keep a seventh OL? The least effective of the SIX RBs listed on this thread. That'd probably be Hall or perhaps Sapp. We're also assuming Hillis and Torain pan out which is far from certain...

Lonestar
04-30-2008, 04:07 PM

I agree considering he is also a snapper I suspect Leach may be on his way to retirement..

topscribe
04-30-2008, 04:09 PM
I agree considering he is also a snapper I suspect Leach may be on his way to retirement..

In my heart, I would hate to hear that because I am a big fan of Leach's.

But in my head it makes sense that a roster spot could be released that was
used for someone who does nothing but snap.

-----

Nature Boy
04-30-2008, 04:22 PM
4 RBs, 6 Wrs, 4 safeties and Kenny Peterson too but only 7 O-lineman? Good try.

Hall or Torain wont make it. Alridge, maybe cause he's seems versatile. At least one of the safeties are gone and Kenny Peterson is probably released by the end of the week.

MHCBill
05-01-2008, 07:22 AM

BTW, six RBs and only 7 OLs is never going to happen...I'm not defensive at all.

I just get curious when people say this guy should be here and that guy shouldn't. My question is then... who would you replace with whom?

It's easy to say that won't work... much harder to offer alternatives.

It is a discussion, nothing more.

Traveler
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
No way Nate Jackson is on the roster when the season starts. Dude has yet to make it through a complete season here without going on IR. Fill his spot with another offensive lineman.

xzn
05-01-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm not defensive at all.

I just get curious when people say this guy should be here and that guy shouldn't. My question is then... who would you replace with whom?

It's easy to say that won't work... much harder to offer alternatives.

It is a discussion, nothing more.

This is a good thread, good discussion. :welcome:

I see you already saw my post that offered an alternative. Good work overall on your roster.

X

MHCBill
06-06-2008, 12:52 PM
QB - Cutler, Ramsey
RB - Henry, Young, Hall, Torain
FB - Sapp, Hillis
TE - Graham, Scheffler, Jackson, Leach
WR - Marshall, Colbert, Stokely, Jackson, Royal, Alridge
OT - Clady, Pears, Harris
OG - Hamilton, Holland, Kuper
C - Nalen
DE - Moss, Doom, Engleberger, Peterson, Crowder
DT - Robertson, Thomas, Mckinley, Powell, Harris
OLB - Williams, Bailey, Winborn, Woodyard
MLB - Niko, Larsen, Webster
CB - Bailey, Bly, Foxworth, Paymah, Williams
S - Lynch, Abdullah, McCree, Barrett
P - Paulescu
K - Prater

Couple notes...

My last cut was Mustard... I personally prefer keeping him over Nate Jackson, but I don't think Shanny will.

We have some flexibility with the Oline... we have some hybrids. The Oline is shaping up nicely for the future... especially if Harris pans out as a RT.

I went especially heavy on defense. We need depth at DE due to situational pass-rushers Doom and Moss. I like having five DT's for rotation purposes.

You can't have enough LB's for special teams.

I kept Torain, Alridge, and Woodyard off the PS due to I think they will get plucked from there pretty quick.

Licky will go to IR for the year... saves a roster spot plus gives him time to learn.

Man, I hope Barrett pans out... he could be a steal with his measurables and athletic ability.

Notable cuts... Mike Bell, Ekuban, Louis Green, Taylor Jacobs, Josh Mallard, Marquand Manuel, Glenn Martinez, Chad Mustard, Sammie Parker, and Casey Wiegmann

Well, after the first few OTA's I'm still pretty confident about this being the 53-man roster.

Obviously there's a tremendous amount between now and week one that can change, but this is mostly for some entertainment and discussion.

Only change... Pittman for Henry... Young will probably start with Pittman waiting in the wings.

Dean
06-06-2008, 03:48 PM

-----

We always have the IR card to play. He can't practice or play but he can attend meetings and film sessions, I beleive. It is not the same as game/practice experience but it would still improve his preparation for next year.

SOCALORADO.
06-06-2008, 04:16 PM
1st off, I think Abdullah sucks. Also, you're assuming that Torain and Barret is any good. We'll just have to see how they perform in the pre-season. If Torain pans out, Hall is gone.

Abdullah DOES suck. Bad. Real bad.
I dont see him making it through Mini-camp, to OTA's or the main camp.
And yes, Hall most likely gone.

Fan in Exile
06-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Anybody have a schedule for the camps and cuts, so that we know when the 53 man roster is coming out?

Lonestar
06-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Anybody have a schedule for the camps and cuts, so that we know when the 53 man roster is coming out?

mikey, you can reach him at mikey@denverbroncos.com