PDA

View Full Version : Do you want a better backup QB?

DenBronx
04-29-2008, 11:39 PM
I've never been satisfied with Ramsey as our backup. Should we release Ramsey and pick up someone else or just stick it out?

I'm interested in hearing your guys opinions on this.

broncohead
04-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Ramsey is servicable for now. Who do we have on the practice squad?

Retired_Member_001
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Patrick Ramsey is a good backup Quarterback. He's not the best backup Quarterback around but he's definitely in the upper half. He'll just about throw more touchdowns than interceptions which is all you ask from a backup.

turftoad
04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I've never been satisfied with Ramsey as our backup. Should we release Ramsey and pick up someone else or just stick it out?

I'm interested in hearing your guys opinions on this.

I think Ramsey is a good back up. He's got experience and has been in our system for couple of years now. He comes cheap and will play fine if and when we need him to.

claymore
04-30-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm interested in hearing your guys opinions on this.I think we should give him the full 3 years that Shanny preaches. He is alright, but at least there isnt a controversey

Skinny
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Ramsey is fine with me. I like him better than Kanell. I hope we don't see him play much this season.

shank
04-30-2008, 02:41 PM
i'm fine with ramsey

JONtheBRONCO
04-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I like him.

Lonestar
04-30-2008, 05:04 PM
NO, none on the market I like as we speak..

BroncoBJ
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I just hope that Jay never gets hurt so it don't matter who our backup QB is. :elefant:

TXBRONC
04-30-2008, 06:38 PM
Ramsey is a good fit for our offense. He's got a good arm and he's mobile. He also knows the offense now so if we brought in someone else you're starting over from scratch.

DenBronx
04-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Ramsey is a good fit for our offense. He's got a good arm and he's mobile. He also knows the offense now so if brought in someone else you're starting over from scratch.

thats really the only upside to keeping him besides being cheap. as much as i dont really care to see him ever start, i still think that him being in with our team for these past year will be good for him. it would suck though if cutler was to be injured...at least the broncos were a well oiled machine that could keep on winning when brister took over for elway the year we won the superbowl. last years team chemistry and lack of depth killed us....imagine how horrid it would have been without cutler.

dogfish
04-30-2008, 11:51 PM
enh. . . i'd like better players at EVERY position, but right now backup QB is way, way down the list of priorities. . . hell, i'm a long way from convinced that we've got a team that our starting quarterback can win with, nevermind the backup!

sneakers
05-01-2008, 06:10 AM
No.........as long as cutler doesn't get hurt, you could have a circus seal be the backup. He'd only work for fish.

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 07:18 AM
thats really the only upside to keeping him besides being cheap. as much as i dont really care to see him ever start, i still think that him being in with our team for these past year will be good for him. it would suck though if cutler was to be injured...at least the broncos were a well oiled machine that could keep on winning when brister took over for elway the year we won the superbowl. last years team chemistry and lack of depth killed us....imagine how horrid it would have been without cutler.

While I don't want Ramsey to start because Jay is our franchise quarterback I would be comfortable with him behind center if Jay were hurt.

I think Ramsey is getting a bad rap in many circles because of what happened to him in Washington. But in my opinion he was asked to use a college style offense with the Old Ball Coach and that just doesn't work in the NFL.

Medford Bronco
05-01-2008, 08:46 AM
enh. . . i'd like better players at EVERY position, but right now backup QB is way, way down the list of priorities. . . hell, i'm a long way from convinced that we've got a team that our starting quarterback can win with, nevermind the backup!

how about better starters on defense, which we clearly need minus about 2 or 3 postions.

CoachChaz
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Ramsey could be a solid starter on alot of teams in the league. Unfortunately, he's always been saddled on bad ones, but still performed fairly well with them.

D1g1tal j1m
05-01-2008, 11:32 AM
PatRam is fine as a backup. He knows the system, has been both a starter and backup in the NFL, nothing the defense does will surprise him.

As long as he stays glued to the bench, then it will all be grand.

TXBRONC
05-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Ramsey could be a solid starter on alot of teams in the league. Unfortunately, he's always been saddled on bad ones, but still performed fairly well with them.

I agree Ramsey could start for several teams.

Ziggy
05-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Ramsey has everything you want in a backup QB:

1. Has been a starter in the league
2. Understands his role and doesn't whine about it
3. Good arm
4. Intelligent QB

Den21vsBal19
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I while I don't want to start because Jay is our franchise quarterback I would be comfortable with him behind center if Jay were hurt.

I think Ramsey is getting a bad rap in many circles because of what happened to him in Washington. But in my opinion he was asked to use a college style offense with the Old Ball Coach and that just doesn't work in the NFL.
He certainly, IMO, didn't embarass the fans or the team in his only meaningful action of last year, the mess that was the Lions game :mad:

29/46 for 260 & a score and a pick is about as good as you can expect off any backup QB, coming in cold for an injury, unless his names Steve Young...............

topscribe
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM

We'll likely never have anyone in that position who could start for somebody
because if he could do that he would go there and start.

Ramsey is about as good as you can get for a backup, IMO. He has good tools
and could pull off a win or two in a pinch. As JR noted, if we dumped him, with
whom would we replace him?

I think we ought to consider ourselves lucky Ramsey is there.

IMHO.

-----

turftoad
05-02-2008, 01:43 PM
We'll likely never have anyone in that position who could start for somebody
because if he could do that he would go there and start.

Ramsey is about as good as you can get for a backup, IMO. He has good tools
and could pull off a win or two in a pinch. As JR noted, if we dumped him, with
whom would we replace him?

I think we ought to consider ourselves lucky Ramsey is there.

IMHO.

-----

Wouldn't it be great to have a starting caliber back up at every position.

There are many reasons why teams don't.

I agree with Top. Ramsey is a good one.

Retired_Member_001
05-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Ramsey has everything you want in a backup QB:

1. Has been a starter in the league
2. Understands his role and doesn't whine about it
3. Good arm
4. Intelligent QB

I agree.

How many better true Backup quarterbacks will you find?

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 06:55 PM
He certainly, IMO, didn't embarrass the fans or the team in his only meaningful action of last year, the mess that was the Lions game :mad:

29/46 for 260 & a score and a pick is about as good as you can expect off any backup QB, coming in cold for an injury, unless his names Steve Young...............

Exactly. He had come in cold in game that was well out of hand by the time he entered it. If Ramsey had to start and was given a week to prepare I think he could run the offense effectively.

By the way, how are you doing mate? :beer:

haroldthebarrel
05-02-2008, 07:06 PM
I wish we would have picked up Josh Johnson in the fifth and trained him in order to trade him later.
He was lucky he got drafted by TB and I think his shot of progressing to a nfl qb would be even greater here. I wish the broncos would do more like Ron Wolf and take great qb prospects to trade them later. We certainly have the staff to do the training and mental part.

Then again, Ramsey isnt the worst backup qb in the league by any means so I dont think we will be screwed should Cutler go down for a couple of games. In fact I think Ramsey might be the best backup we had since Brister.

silkamilkamonico
05-02-2008, 09:50 PM
With all due respect, I find it ironic that people suddenly have posts about our backup QB.

Nevermind the fact that Ramsey is our best backup QB in like 6 years, other than Cutler as a rookie, which was an exception.

TXBRONC
05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
With all due respect, I find it ironic that people suddenly have posts about our backup QB.

Nevermind the fact that Ramsey is our best backup QB in like 6 years, other than Cutler as a rookie, which was an exception.

I agree with you. Ramsey is most capable back up quarterback that we have had in Denver in quite some time.

Den21vsBal19
05-03-2008, 05:27 AM
I agree with you. Ramsey is most capable back up quarterback that we have had in Denver in quite some time.
Mybe since Kube himself, and certainly since Bubby Brister

Brand
05-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I don't know. Is Brodie Frail available? Maybe for a seventh in the 2010 draft?

j/k

Ramsey is supposed to have the natural skills needed to run the Denver O. Now, whether he performs or not depends on the coaching staff. My guess is that he would be much better this year than last because he has had some experience with the nuances of the Shanahan O. So, I'd say that I would not want to change QBs, and start over again with a new backup QB.....

TXBRONC
05-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Mybe since Kube himself, and certainly since Bubby Brister

Yeah Brister was the last capable back up quarterback we had until Ramsey came. As I said before, while I don't Ramsey to start because that means Jay hurt, I'm still confident that if Ramsey had to step in start the offense would be ok.

silkamilkamonico
05-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Our last capable QB was Gus Frerotte. Dude did an excellent job backing up Griese, and completely lit it up some games. He's a low level starter/top notch backup in the league as it is.