PDA

View Full Version : Grade the 2010 Denver Bronco's Draft

Broncolingus
04-24-2010, 02:01 PM
Pretty simple, folks...

Put your A+, B-, etc. in the same letter category just comment the +/- in your comment.

Oh, and make sure to work in all your McD, Tebow, etc. bashing along with the continued whining over Cutler's, Marshall's, (s)Chef's, etc. departures...

:D

HORSEPOWER 56
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Mind you, i'm not a big McDaniel's fan...

I give it a solid B+ grade. I love the Thomas pick (A). I love the Tebow pick (A). I love the Walton pick (A).

The Beadles pick had me scratching my head a little because i thought Ducasse or Asomoah were better option still on the board. His versatility in that he can kick out to RT is a plus, though. He's a low B to high C grade.

I like the Decker pick a LOT. I don't think he was as much a "need" and that there were better guys out there (at other positions - he was the BEST WR left available, IMO) to get. I give it a high B pick (A as a player, C for need).

Cox I like, but the "character questions" don't seem to jive with the new Broncos message. Value of A, but his character concerns and our "little bit of hypocrisy" make it a C pick.

Olsen was a solid pick, but I don't think he was a terrible need either. He is also a C based on need/talent level.

Most importantly, we didn't trade any next year's picks reaching for guys!

It all averages out to a high B in my book. A solid 8 out of 10. Well done by McDaniels and Xanders, IMO.

Tebow4Ever
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
All in All, I think it was a pretty solid draft. We addressed the defense in free agency and added a CB today. The offensive line should be pretty well set right now. I wont even get into the Tebow situation as my username states how I feel. I really like the decker addition as I think he will certainly see the field and make a name for himself in the locker room.Thomas has potential most certainly and I hope to see him opposite Eddie....I gave the draft a B.

Northman
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Ive give them a B. Without the Tebow pick it would of been an A. Much better than last year.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
04-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Probably a B-.

Would have easily been an A if we had stayed put with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th instead of taking on a project when much better players who project much higher were still on the board.

Preferred Dez Bryant too instead of Thomas but I can live with it.

Love, love... love the Cox pick. Great selection.

T.K.O.
04-24-2010, 02:17 PM
i'll get back to ya on this in 2 years;)

topscribe
04-24-2010, 02:27 PM
B+ as of Thomas
The F for Tebow brought overall down to D
Good recovery the rest of the draft to bring it back up to C

But, as T.K.O. implied, we'll see . . .

-----

MileHighCrew
04-24-2010, 02:34 PM
I think we gave up too much for Tebow, but when you coach has a man crush on a player they make it happen. Thomas vs Dez? I hope McD was right. All the rest were solid, maybe trade Olsen for Dwyer n my opinion. Solid B+ in contrast to last years draft

MadMax
04-24-2010, 02:39 PM
D, I think ignoring the defense for the third year in a row is continue to bite us in the ass.

titan
04-24-2010, 02:43 PM
I'll give it a B

Liked trading back in the first round to get extra picks

Liked the D Thomas pick very much (I'm ok we took him over Dez)

Tebow? Didn't like this pick initially but I'm warming up to it. Tebow will be fun to watch and follow this year (I will definitely be going to the 1st preseason game now)
Critics say Tebow isn't a traditional NFL QB but I think McDaniels is going to use him in non-traditional ways. And I REALLY like having a qb who can make plays with his feet (something Orton isn't good at)

The rest of the draft: seems like the Broncos got good value, and I was glad to see them beef up the offensive line. Like the wr pick in the 3rd and the cb in the 5th - good value picks.

Main dislike: while I am warming up to Tebow I didn't like trading all those picks to get him. I read the broncos had colt mccoy as one of their top 3. Would have preferred the broncos keep all those picks they did a masterful job acquiring by trading down in round one, and then take tebow if he was there with their 1st 2nd rounder, otherwise take colt. colt as it turns out would have been available with their 3rd.

Now if Tebow turns out great then McD was wise to nab him at the end of the first - just seems like McD locks in on a player and gives up too much to get him (like Alphonso last year).

I like that we didn't trade any of our 2011 picks. If this season goes poorly (which is a distinct possibility) its good we have our 1st round pick.

Overall I think McD did a better job in this year's draft than last year.

broncobryce
04-24-2010, 02:43 PM
For the record, as far as LB's go, Mcd stated there werent a whole lot of LB prospects out there he liked in the 3-4. So if an interior lineman was a better fit/value at that spot he took them instead. Of course I am paraphrasing. Go watch the press conference he just had for more info.

TimTebow15MVP
04-24-2010, 02:44 PM
D, I think ignoring the defense for the third year in a row is continue to bite us in the ass.

so we draft four defensive players last year and sign a few this off season and weve ignored the defense? Child please

Northman
04-24-2010, 02:46 PM

If the defense can stay and play at the level they did last year and we get more production from offense i think we will be fine. The defense collapsed because we couldnt generate enough points on the offensive side of the ball. With a controlled ground game by improving the Oline should go a long way this year IF they pan out.

keithbishop
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
C+

Loved days 2 and 3, but Tebow is too big of a question mark vs. the #2/#3/#4 surrendered for a B grade, IMO. Please let Tebow prove me wrong.

claymore
04-24-2010, 02:51 PM
If the defense can stay and play at the level they did last year and we get more production from offense i think we will be fine. The defense collapsed because we couldnt generate enough points on the offensive side of the ball. With a controlled ground game by improving the Oline should go a long way this year IF they pan out.

Converting 3rd downs will do a lot more for this defense than probably anyone we could have drafted. :D

cuzz4169
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
I think we gave up too much for Tebow, but when you coach has a man crush on a player they make it happen. Thomas vs Dez? I hope McD was right. All the rest were solid, maybe trade Olsen for Dwyer n my opinion. Solid B+ in contrast to last years draft

You cant say we gave up to much to get Tebow why do you think we traded back to get the extra picks?

Tebow4Ever
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Converting 3rd downs will do a lot more for this defense than probably anyone we could have drafted. :D

Tebow?? I do think we will see alot of packages where he comes in on 3rd down.

atwater27
04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
We could have EASILY gotten Tebow AND D. Thomas later, we should have traded down further. Tebow should not have gone in the 1st, trading up in the 1st for him was ludicrous. I am just talking from a pure "where we could have got them" standpoint.

camdisco24
04-24-2010, 03:08 PM
A-.
The minus is because I think we could have gotten Tebow early in the 2nd. I love the pick, and Tebow, and wanted him to be a Bronco, just not on the first night. However, in two years if Tebow is our starter and earning wins like he has his whole career, that minus will turn into a plus. I loved all our other pics. We filled most of our holes with solid players.

This is out best draft since 2006 hands down.

atwater27
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Also missing out on Dan Williams, Cody, Linval Joseph and letting the Chargers get Cam was irritating. Missing out on Takeo Spikes? To New England? Bullshit.

broken12
04-24-2010, 03:33 PM
draft was good, but at 25, to get someone who probably wont be a major contributor is nonsense! i understand if we have a qb here to play while he is groomed, but we dont! i thought that brady queen would have been the guy for mcd to groom for 2011 but he is going to have to focus too much time on tebow that queen will not reach potential. there was better value at 25 than tebow and at first round thats why i give a D

broken12
04-24-2010, 03:35 PM
maybe trading down again to get mount cody and some more picks to trade back up for tebow early in round two would have been a better idea for me! at least we have someone who can LEAD THE TEAM IN prayer!

CrazyHorse
04-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Also missing out on Dan Williams, Cody, Linval Joseph and letting the Chargers get Cam was irritating. Missing out on Takeo Spikes? To New England? Bullshit.

B-
I like the players we got but I think we still could have gotten them if we stayed where we were. If we didn't trade up we could have also nabbed Dan Williams and Brandon Spikes. I still haven't forgotten about the picks we gave up for Alphonso Smith and Richard Quinn.

Dreadnought
04-24-2010, 04:11 PM
B++. very good draft.

This doesn't mean I now like Mcdaniels even a little bit, but fair's fair - this draft was World's better than last year's fiasco. Tebow was maybe a stretch, but maybe the pick of the draft too. A total wild-eyed gamble, but not one I mind at all. All draft picks are a gamble after all.

dogfish
04-24-2010, 04:19 PM
For the record, as far as LB's go, Mcd stated there werent a whole lot of LB prospects out there he liked in the 3-4. So if an interior lineman was a better fit/value at that spot he took them instead. Of course I am paraphrasing. Go watch the press conference he just had for more info.

this is exactly how i thought we'd view the LB position. . . every 'backer we met with was a 1st or high 2nd round prospect. . . it's obvious we had some interest at the position, but when we didn't address it early, i kinda figured we might not address it at all. . .

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2010, 05:01 PM
A

I wanted 1 thing from this draft and that was to get 2 interior Olinemen. We got 3.

The WR picks, to me, were gold.

I love Perrish Cox.

I rarely judge picks after round 6 because we just don't really know.

I'd have graded this as an A without Tebow. Getting him hardly HURTS us and we didn't use any picks we had prior to the draft to get him.

I'm very happy.

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
Overall this could be the best draft class ever IF most of them are around after their rookie contracts are complete.

That is how I judge a Draft by how many were good enough to resign for being a career Bronco.

I do not see anyone through rounds 5 that will not be a long term Bronco.

Skinny
04-24-2010, 05:19 PM
B.

It still sucked watching us pass up on all that DL talent though, that was tough. But i like that McD stuck to his guns addressing the OL.

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 05:22 PM
B.

It still sucked watching us pass up on all that DL talent though, that was tough. But i like that McD stuck to his guns addressing the OL.

Plus I think they are high on the kids we have behind all the Vets we brought in this year.

Clearly the OLINE was the BIGGEST need and we just picked up a DE as our last pick at 232.

Skinny
04-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Plus I think they are high on the kids we have behind all the Vets we brought in this year.

Clearly the OLINE was the BIGGEST need and we just picked up a DE as our last pick at 232.True, and we did address DE and NT in FA. Considering the big picture, i'm very pleased with this draft.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2010, 05:28 PM
I likes some of the DL talent too, but it became clear quite early that the coaches feel were good on the DL for now.

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 05:41 PM
True, and we did address DE and NT in FA. Considering the big picture, i'm very pleased with this draft. I would have still liked to bring in a NT to groom for that year after william retires.

But then maybe the kid we got last year from Hampton college will finally come around. He was a HUGE run stopper.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeah...we have big bodies. Last year's starter is now the backup and Baker is still around. We'll be OK.

broncophan
04-24-2010, 05:56 PM
I gave us a D because we gave up a 2,3, and a 4 to get him in the first round.

But for some reason.....I think, Tebow will be successful, and will be our qb for the next 10 or 12 years.

I just think we gave up to much to get him.......but...I wouldn't bet against him...

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Let me say we got 9 pocks this year 2 more than regionally scheduled for.

We still have our extra #2 for next year and only gave up a 5 for our last two picks this year.

After having 35 new players not eh roster last year I did not see that much blood letting this year.

Plugging a few deep holes we had, were the important things to do. OC OLG and SOme folks thought WR.

We did all of that potential and more

picking upi a bunch of OLINE guys that should be able to play more than one position. the oline should be stocked for a decade or more if they resign them.

WR looks like we picked up a BM clone that is faster and has a team attitude. and after seeing him in interviews I doubt seriously that he will have a hall pass to the NFL offices.

the other WR we picked up what looks like a brawny EDDIE MAC clone. never met a pass that was near him he did not catch.

IMO we needed to pick up some depth at NT, only really having Williams and VERY RAW Chris Baker.

Maybe they know something about Chris that will make him into a dominant NT for the future.

Thought we would PU some DE backups but when I see the roster looks like that was not all that necessary. the two picks for CB this year may have some long term replacement value after all the NE model that Josh likes does not place a HUGE priority on big CB's but lots in the deep safety area.

ILB well looks like we put a bandaid on that with the FA P/U.

Other than that Tebow was a pleasant surprise. we got most of the hotsots covered and then some extra with getting Tebow and still having all the draft picks we started out with PLUS one.

atwater27
04-24-2010, 06:33 PM
LMAO at all the A's and B's.... You simply don't trade into the 1st round to select a QB that would have definitely been there at LEAST in the second.... this after drafting a WR in the 1st that would have been there in the 2nd as well.

I love the interior line picks and the corner was a good value pick. This does not excuse the 1st round though. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guys we got, just thought they could have been picked by McD later. We did nothing for our defense.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2010, 06:40 PM
LMAO at all the A's and B's.... You simply don't trade into the 1st round to select a QB that would have definitely been there at LEAST in the second.... this after drafting a WR in the 1st that would have been there in the 2nd as well.

I love the interior line picks and the corner was a good value pick. This does not excuse the 1st round though. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guys we got, just thought they could have been picked by McD later. We did nothing for our defense.

I truly don't believe either Thomas or Tebow would lasted til round 2. Bmore coveted Bryant, but also like Thomas. McD noticed a need at Wr and he went and got 1. I won't slam him for that. I also hold firm to the belief that we gave up nothing for Tebow.

The lack of D is peculiar, but it also may be an indication that McD is happy w/ what we have. There were a good amount of FA moves to sure up the DL.

Dreadnought
04-24-2010, 06:42 PM
I truly don't believe either Thomas or Tebow would lasted til round 2. Bmore coveted Bryant, but also like Thomas. McD noticed a need at Wr and he went and got 1. I won't slam him for that. I also hold firm to the belief that we gave up nothing for Tebow.

The lack of D is peculiar, but it also may be an indication that McD is happy w/ what we have. There were a good amount of FA moves to sure up the DL.

The lack of attention to D makes the release of (IMO) a very solid Andra Davis even more inexplicable than it was at the time. Turns out we didn't have a plan to replace him after all. Then again, I was grading the draft, not my opinion of McD's roster and personal management skills.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
The lack of attention to D makes the release of (IMO) a very solid Andra Davis even more inexplicable than it was at the time. Turns out we didn't have a plan to replace him after all. Then again, I was grading the draft, not my opinion of McD's roster and personal management skills.

But he was able to turn around and sign a FA LB instead.

He drafted a number of defenders last year and signed more this offseason. I have no issue w/ how he drafted.

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Why?

just because it has not been done before?

We do not know if he would have been there past MIN pick late in the first round.

As for D we fixed the immediate needs in FA and have a hell of a lot of kids behind these VETS to learn it the right way. Is that the answer? I'm not sure. but remember draft choices are crap shoots. not to say any one we may have picked would have been better.

We potentially fixed our OLINE and got some quality back ups in ONE draft that is almost unheard of.

IF they all work out we do not have to worry about the Oline for a decade or more.

We picked up TWO damned good WR's.

Picked up some a couple of good return men and maybe even Champs and Goodwins eventual replacements.

This team was not all that far away from contenting last year, the OLINE and DL hurt us big time. Those areas appear to be fixed this year and while not with draftees on the DL we have a lot of 2 thru 4 year guys behind those FA VEts we brought in.

On top of that we may have gotten a future Franchise QB who probably has as good a chance at doing it as any of them do.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I also think people are forgetting that it historically costs a future #1 PLUS mid round picks to move up 18 spots into round 1 of a draft. We used a 3 and a 4, both of which were likely acquired for the sole purpose of getting tebow.

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 06:52 PM

From what I have heard they liked several ILB but they went earlier than they thought. HOW many of us would have bet that OAK would have taken Mc Clain.

Absolutely NO of us would have. They Obviously had the LB they signed today in their back pocket as a hole card, or perhaps they would have made more noise there.

TimTebow15MVP
04-24-2010, 07:00 PM
im giving the broncos a A+++++ because he nailed every pick. our OL will be way more dominant meaning our backs will be. the QB will have plenty time with a now awesome interior OL and we already know what clady and harris brings to the table. they are both awesome tackles.

then we go out and get two stud wide outs, one whose sky is the limit but anld should be a immediate deep threat and the other who just catches everything you throw withing 5 yards of him and hes a awesome route runner.

came away with two young corners (cox will be a star) and sid i love his toughness and fight as a corner. he gets to the ball and plays alot faster than his 40 time. should contribute on special teams right away.

Then we got a franchise QB in Tebow who only did what was asked of him to do at florida. now hes a pro and will work hard at whatever mcdaniels ask of him. I expect to see tebow starting this year at some point.

spikerman
04-24-2010, 07:12 PM
From what I have heard they liked several ILB but they went earlier than they thought. HOW many of us would have bet that OAK would have taken Mc Clain.

Absolutely NO of us would have. They Obviously had the LB they signed today in their back pocket as a hole card, or perhaps they would have made more noise there.
I thought I read somewhere that McDaniels said (after the fact) that he wasn't looking at McClain at #11; so if he was thinking about ILB, the McClain pick would not have had any effect.

atwater27
04-24-2010, 07:15 PM
im giving the broncos a A+++++ because he nailed every pick. .

Oh Gawd, just what we need. So when do you change your name away from Quinn?

TimTebow15MVP
04-24-2010, 07:18 PM
Oh Gawd, just what we need. So when do you change your name away from Quinn?

What? Brady Quinn was the MVP in my madden season. I probably will change the name now though to somethi ng tebow related.

Bozo Jr.
04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I'll rate this Draft a solid A!

Overall I am VERY pleased with our selections. Great depth on the OL. BIG, strong and smart receivers with tons of upside. Steals at the CB and LB/DE positions, and as for Tebow, the potential reward, by far outweighs the risk. The more people doubt the Man, the more he continues to prove them wrong. If he can be the face of the franchise, and lead this team back to greatness, I'd have to say the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th we gave up to get him will surely have been well spent.

I cannot wait for season to get here. This is as excited that I have been about our "TEAM" in quite a long time!

Go Broncos! :salute:

TimTebow15MVP
04-24-2010, 07:49 PM
pretty good post from a guy named bozo

Krugan
04-24-2010, 07:50 PM
D

This reason I give that grade 9 of the 11 supposed defensive starters will be 30 or older this year. The extra picks, the ones we dropped to move up 2 times, those would have brought in some young talent, to start building behind this OLD defense.

TimTebow15MVP
04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
you ever take a look at whats behind those 30 plus year old veterans already? Theres 4 young corners behind champ and goodman. theres 2 young safeties behind dawk and hill. theres 4 young guys behhind bannan williams and green. Its clear some people around here like forming opinions out of there ass.

spikerman
04-24-2010, 08:15 PM
you ever take a look at whats behind those 30 plus year old veterans already? Theres 4 young corners behind champ and goodman. theres 2 young safeties behind dawk and hill. theres 4 young guys behhind bannan williams and green. Its clear some people around here like forming opinions out of there ass.

Just a tip. It would really be a nice gesture if you could respond to a person's post without insulting them. Everybody on here is entitled to an opinion. Thanks.

claymore
04-24-2010, 08:18 PM
None of the crazies (myself included) voted an F so you know its a pretty good draft with some high hopes.

Tned
04-24-2010, 08:31 PM
i'll get back to ya on this in 2 years;)

It's impossible to grade the draft right now, because so much is riding on the two first round picks, both of them projects.

The Broncos needed a long term QB, but the question is whether or not Tebow can be that QB.

Thomas 'could be' the next Brandon Marshall, but he has a lot to learn coming from the style of offense he played in.

Since two first round picks were spent on boom or bust projects, it cut into the number of picks that could be used to plug holes that exist in 2010. As LG and C were among the biggest need, McD drafted three in the middle rounds, and we need to hope two are starting material this year.

Mostly due to the Cutler trade, the Broncos had five first round picks in '09 and '10. One appears to be completely wasted on Smith, three of the other four have been spent on pieces of what could form the necleus of the offense for years to come.

McDaniels legacy and the near term future of the Broncos will rest largely on Tebow and Thomas.

All that said, I gave it a C. I liked almost all the picks, and believe that Tebow can make the transition and become at least a Big Ben type QB, and possibly better. However, because McDaniels took such a boom or bust approach to the draft, it is impossible to give the draft an A or B, because to do so assumes that both major projects are sure things.

Krugan
04-24-2010, 08:47 PM

Your my hero!

And yes, I took what was here into consideration. I dont think the long term growth of this team was helped, at least defensively.

Glad you see things from a different point of view.

MileHiWildcat
04-25-2010, 12:07 AM
I expect Deja Vu all over again. In the 2nd half of the season, the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs will again run all over an undermanned D line.

Elevation inc
04-25-2010, 02:22 AM
im gonna go with a C...

when grading a draft i take a look at value and the trade up for tebow with the ravens....well they out valued us on that deal by 23%...thats horrible even worse in value that the smith deal which was 16% in favor of seattle.....but its MCd's right and who am i to knock the player???? so i wont....but that value was for crap....and it dropped the grade for me to a D right off the bat.....

The walton pick, decker pick, brought the grade to a C+ for me but value of beadles and the hypocrticial selection of cox(who i do like but has chracter concerns) dropped it to a C- for me.....

the solid picks of olsen, thompson, and kirlew brought it back to a C for me.....

im not to upset with this draft, but im not exactly thrilled either...im just kinda gonna wait it out and see.....

Ziggy
04-25-2010, 02:53 AM
We needed depth at Oline and WR and got it in a big way. We needed a franchise QB and went after one. Whether he turns out or not will be seen. We needed some depth at KR and got that.

As far as defense goes, our secondary is old. We have solid young depth behind them. We have only one LB over the age of 30. The reason Andra was released is because he was too slow and can't play special teams. McD said that they let him go early to be fair and give him a chance to catch on with another team and learn thier D. Haggan has been moved to the Mike. He's younger, bigger, and faster. On the Dline, we signed 3 starters, and have depth with McBean, Smith, Baker, Fields, and Thomas. Coach says he has high hopes for Baker in the future. The D may not be perfect, but it's solid.

Drafting 3 big, tough, nasty, versatile lineman helps both the passing game and running game. Drafting 2 big wide receivers who were considered 2 of the better blockers at thier position helps both the running and passing game. If Tebow works out, we have our franchise QB, who is a leader, high character, high motor, self-motivated monster on the field.

Ziggy
04-25-2010, 02:57 AM
I expect Deja Vu all over again. In the 2nd half of the season, the Chargers, Raiders, and Chiefs will again run all over an undermanned D line.

Bannan, Green, and Jamal may have something to say about that. We've basically kept last year's starting Dline as backups, and improved all 3 spots with bigger better players. The offensive line will be bigger, tougher, stronger, and deeper. That, my friend, is how you keep from having another late season collapse.

xzn
04-25-2010, 05:46 AM
Bannan, Green, and Jamal may have something to say about that. We've basically kept last year's starting Dline as backups, and improved all 3 spots with bigger better players. The offensive line will be bigger, tougher, stronger, and deeper. That, my friend, is how you keep from having another late season collapse.

HOW IN THE HELL DO SOME PEOPLE STILL NOT SEE THAT? :confused:

atwater27
04-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Jeez, you are totally overrating the guys we signed.
Justin Bannan has 5 sacks in 8 seasons. WOW. He was an average player his whole career. Neato.
Jarvis Green WAS a decent player, but his sacks are almost nonexistent that last 2 seasons. Gee, I wonder why the Pats let him go. Hmmmm. I am sure it is because Bill B. just wanted to do young Josh a favor. What a nice guy.

As far as Jamal Williams, I know he was a premier tackle in the league for many years. This is his 13th season. He is coming off of injury. He is 33.

These are over the hill, stopgap guys that are shadows of their former selves. How is that shoring up the defense?

Lancane
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Elevation, right now I give this draft a solid C grading. And it's not because I dislike the picks made, there are several reasons to give it such a grade beyond whether or not I liked our draft class.

McDaniels and Xanders did a terrific job at manipulating the draft in the beginning...but there was no reason to jump up to the 22nd pick to select Demaryius Thomas, which wasted one of our fourth round picks. New England and Green Bay were not going to take him, but New England was interested in Bryant which made Dallas move up in a trade with them to get him with the 24th pick. In my opinion we should have stayed put with the 24th pick, taken Tim Tebow and kept our other picks that we used to trade up to get the 25th pick. We know that there were teams interested in moving back into the first to secure Tebow, Buffalo for one, but there is word that Carolina and Jacksonville were hoping to secure Tebow for themselves as well. I have no problem with the Demaryius Thomas pick, except there is a solid chance that he could have been had for far less, many teams were not interested because he hailed from such a non-pro system that most considered odd itself. I believe he would have fallen possibly to our 43rd pick, or we could have moved up in the second round even with the Rams for much less and gotten him.

The wasted picks left a bad taste in my mouth, especially as I watched the Ravens have a great draft because our picks, and while I watched Oakland for the first time put on a drafting clinic in front of us...then we continued on taking picks that could have been taken later with the selection of Beadles. Again, I don't hate the addition, but he could have been had later rather then sooner at the point we drafted him. It was almost as if McDaniels and Xanders were afraid this time around and made crucial mistakes because of it. Other then that, Beadles was a solid addition he's a left tackle so he's used to blocking a quarterbacks blindside, even though most believe he will be a guard, I have a strange feeling we drafted him to be Tebow's blindside blocker on the right, Harris is likely to be an unrestricted free agent after the season and Beadles will probably challenge at the position, but I have a feeling he will play at the right guard position for the season while Kuper or Olsen man the left guard spot.

It was the third round that truly saved the draft for Denver, the addition of J.D. Walton, the blue-collared tough guy who was graded to go higher and Eric Decker, the epitomy of a possession receiver who hails from a spread offensive system. There is no reason to be upset with either pick, Decker had a better scouting point grade then Thomas did with some scouts, so great additions for solid value at the spots Denver drafted them at.

If Denver would have stopped in the fifth round after selecting Parrish Cox I would have given them an A grade for the draft. Cox if he can play up to his potential will be a playmaker at the corner spot, he's the only one on our roster who may be able to be Bailey's eventual replacement. His skillset is sick, and he makes plays that seem to be impossible at times. A great addition for the value of the draft pick we used to get him.

What killed the draft for Denver were in my honest opinion the last three picks, the fact that Denver wasted a fifth round pick from next year for two seventh round picks and taking two prospects that could more then likely have been signed as undrafted free agents. Especially with higher graded talent still on the boards. Eric Olsen is a solid back-up prospect, nothing more he had fallen down several boards and some people were higher on him whilst many saw his drop comming. There were better prospects that could have been had with those three picks and prospects of need. While I still see potential in those three to contribute as backups and in special teams, that is where their ceiling remains and is likely to remain.

As for me personally I love the Tebow, Decker, Walton and Cox picks, and have to question the Thomas and Beadles picks for value purposes only, they both have tremendous upside, let alone could be good mainstay players for Denver's offense. Again it's the Olsen, Kirlew and Thompson picks that leave me at a loss and kill the draft from being a great draft. We overlooked too much potential for high character and reached, whether people like the term or not...that's something we saw with Denver's draft.

Let's hope that Denver can field a better offensive unit then last season, but...I have my doubts. I hope Denver adds a powerful running back in free agency and maybe a more proven wideout. We've seen some good additions via free agency and a solid but not great draft. And I hate to say it, but I kind of hope that McDaniels may try and sign Terrell Owens for a couple seasons as we bring Thomas and Decker along, possible talent can not make up for experience and the little we have at the receiver position worries me. It would also be good to sign maybe Ahmad Green, Justin Fargas or Jamal Lewis as a powerback for a season or two as well, unless we can trade for someone, I'm dissapointed we we're not in the LenDale White sweepstakes or for that matter in contention to add Kirk Morrison.

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 01:16 PM
HOW IN THE HELL DO SOME PEOPLE STILL NOT SEE THAT? :confused:

having common sense is the most underrated gift a human can have. alot of people dont have common sense and it shows when they make comments like we havent adressed the defense. lol i love it though it gives me something to laugh at. Theres nothing like somebody making an ass out of themselves

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm going to have to agree with Elevation, right now I give this draft a solid C grading. And it's not because I dislike the picks made, there are several reasons to give it such a grade beyond whether or not I liked our draft class.

McDaniels and Xanders did a terrific job at manipulating the draft in the beginning...but there was no reason to jump up to the 22nd pick to select Demaryius Thomas, which wasted one of our fourth round picks. New England and Green Bay were not going to take him, but New England was interested in Bryant which made Dallas move up in a trade with them to get him with the 24th pick. In my opinion we should have stayed put with the 24th pick, taken Tim Tebow and kept our other picks that we used to trade up to get the 25th pick. We know that there were teams interested in moving back into the first to secure Tebow, Buffalo for one, but there is word that Carolina and Jacksonville were hoping to secure Tebow for themselves as well. I have no problem with the Demaryius Thomas pick, except there is a solid chance that he could have been had for far less, many teams were not interested because he hailed from such a non-pro system that most considered odd itself. I believe he would have fallen possibly to our 43rd pick, or we could have moved up in the second round even with the Rams for much less and gotten him.

The wasted picks left a bad taste in my mouth, especially as I watched the Ravens have a great draft because our picks, and while I watched Oakland for the first time put on a drafting clinic in front of us...then we continued on taking picks that could have been taken later with the selection of Beadles. Again, I don't hate the addition, but he could have been had later rather then sooner at the point we drafted him. It was almost as if McDaniels and Xanders were afraid this time around and made crucial mistakes because of it. Other then that, Beadles was a solid addition he's a left tackle so he's used to blocking a quarterbacks blindside, even though most believe he will be a guard, I have a strange feeling we drafted him to be Tebow's blindside blocker on the right, Harris is likely to be an unrestricted free agent after the season and Beadles will probably challenge at the position, but I have a feeling he will play at the right guard position for the season while Kuper or Olsen man the left guard spot.

It was the third round that truly saved the draft for Denver, the addition of J.D. Walton, the blue-collared tough guy who was graded to go higher and Eric Decker, the epitomy of a possession receiver who hails from a spread offensive system. There is no reason to be upset with either pick, Decker had a better scouting point grade then Thomas did with some scouts, so great additions for solid value at the spots Denver drafted them at.

If Denver would have stopped in the fifth round after selecting Parrish Cox I would have given them an A grade for the draft. Cox if he can play up to his potential will be a playmaker at the corner spot, he's the only one on our roster who may be able to be Bailey's eventual replacement. His skillset is sick, and he makes plays that seem to be impossible at times. A great addition for the value of the draft pick we used to get him.

What killed the draft for Denver were in my honest opinion the last three picks, the fact that Denver wasted a fifth round pick from next year for two seventh round picks and taking two prospects that could more then likely have been signed as undrafted free agents. Especially with higher graded talent still on the boards. Eric Olsen is a solid back-up prospect, nothing more he had fallen down several boards and some people were higher on him whilst many saw his drop comming. There were better prospects that could have been had with those three picks and prospects of need. While I still see potential in those three to contribute as backups and in special teams, that is where their ceiling remains and is likely to remain.

As for me personally I love the Tebow, Decker, Walton and Cox picks, and have to question the Thomas and Beadles picks for value purposes only, they both have tremendous upside, let alone could be good mainstay players for Denver's offense. Again it's the Olsen, Kirlew and Thompson picks that leave me at a loss and kill the draft from being a great draft. We overlooked too much potential for high character and reached, whether people like the term or not...that's something we saw with Denver's draft.

Let's hope that Denver can field a better offensive unit then last season, but...I have my doubts. I hope Denver adds a powerful running back in free agency and maybe a more proven wideout. We've seen some good additions via free agency and a solid but not great draft. And I hate to say it, but I kind of hope that McDaniels may try and sign Terrell Owens for a couple seasons as we bring Thomas and Decker along, possible talent can not make up for experience and the little we have at the receiver position worries me. It would also be good to sign maybe Ahmad Green, Justin Fargas or Jamal Lewis as a powerback for a season or two as well, unless we can trade for someone, I'm dissapointed we we're not in the LenDale White sweepstakes or for that matter in contention to add Kirk Morrison.

yeah because the system you play in in college has something to do with you talent and ability? Blah

Sign Owens for a couple years? Lol :laugh::tsk::confused: bye

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Justin Bannan has 5 sacks in 8 seasons. WOW. He was an average player his whole career. Neato.
Jarvis Green WAS a decent player, but his sacks are almost nonexistent that last 2 seasons. Gee, I wonder why the Pats let him go. Hmmmm. I am sure it is because Bill B. just wanted to do young Josh a favor. What a nice guy.

As far as Jamal Williams, I know he was a premier tackle in the league for many years. This is his 13th season. He is coming off of injury. He is 33.

These are over the hill, stopgap guys that are shadows of their former selves. How is that shoring up the defense?

im just trying to figure out when and where did you learn that a 3-4 dlinemen is suppose to get sacks?

Over the hill guys huh? Damn so is dawkins but he only came out and had a nice season at a older age than anybody we brung in? I assume your one of the people who want 13 guys on the DL fighting for just 3 spots., which would mean your gonna be way short at numerous other positions so where do you begin to chop genius? What other positions can we just start cutting players at just so we have 13 guys on the DL for "youthful" depth?

broncobryce
04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
As far as D-line, we have Baker who is expected to contribute this year.

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 01:46 PM
dont mention all the guys under 30 on the DL they dont exist because they wasnt drafted this year.

Lancane
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
yeah because the system you play in in college has something to do with you talent and ability? Blah

Sign Owens for a couple years? Lol :laugh::tsk::confused: bye

Talent can be effected both negatively or positively by the program one hails from, that is very true. Whether you accept it or not is up to you, talent does not always transcend beyond the collegiate level, and most with any common sense understands as much. If it did, well then the league would be far more competitive then it already is and the average bust ratio from the draft would not be as high as it is either. And talent does not always overcome proven experience at the pro level either, we've seen where a lesser talented starter has continued to hold a position because a talented prospect did not develop correctly or ended up not being able to grasp the intensity or speed of the NFL compared to the collegiate level.

If talent was superior to experience, Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey would have been flash in the pans, it was their experience as well as their approach to the game that set them apart. McCaffrey was considered a bust before coming to Denver and Rod Smith could not get most clubs to look at him and give him a chance. Smith had a chance to develop his talent as a developmental squad player learning from the likes of Vance Johnson and Anthony Miller. McCaffrey has never been shy from stating that Rod (Smith) along with the other receivers in Denver had helped him improve his game. Signing Owens for a season or two while two good prospects develop is not a bad idea, but it would depend on whether or not he could see eye to eye with McDaniels. Gaffney and Stokely have really not had the success to help talented young men develop along, and it's my point of view.

So if you wish, keep acting childish and like an ignorant spoiled one at that...but you won't find much respect here for doing so.

:coffee:

Lancane
04-25-2010, 01:57 PM
having common sense is the most underrated gift a human can have. alot of people dont have common sense and it shows when they make comments like we havent adressed the defense. lol i love it though it gives me something to laugh at. Theres nothing like somebody making an ass out of themselves

Having common sense is what seperates us from our primate cousins and the ability to develop our thoughts into cohesive intelligence is what makes us superior to them. If not for that, then we would be flinging our own shit at spectators looking at us through bars for nothing less then amusement!

;)

spikerman
04-25-2010, 01:58 PM
dont mention all the guys under 30 on the DL they dont exist because they wasnt drafted this year.

To me, that these older guys were brought in with the expectation that they'll immediately start says something about the talent level of the younger defensive linemen on the roster. As another poster said, if these older guys happen to break down, I'm not real confident that the run defense will look any better than last year's.

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
You call it what you want but Thomas ability has nothing to do with what offense he played in. It doesnt define him because he played in a triple option offense. it only limits what weve seen and what he may be capable of being that he was asked to do certain things in that offense. No college player is defined by what offense he played in. If thats the case jimmy cluasen shoulda went number one overall instead of bradford because he played in a pro style offense huh man? facts are not childish...

Signing Owens for a couple years would be insane for the developement of our young TEAM first wide outs. Owens comes in as a slow ass wide out whose basically a fast tight end now with average hands who wants the damn ball alllll the time. far from a TEAM player. McDaniels sent a clear message taking thomas over Bryant because its a character and team thing. While owens doesnt have off the field character issues he has on the field and locker room issues once hes comfortable somewhere..... The best way for our young wide outs to learn is to work hard and play right away. they are both natural play makers, Decker is already a great route runner and catches everything. Thomas is another who catches just about everything. limited in the amount of routes he can run for now but with his work ethic he will get it done. these guys just need to play not sit and learn from washed up TO.

EMB6903
04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
^^who are you?

Ravage!!!
04-25-2010, 02:07 PM

Great post, Lan. I agree with most of this. I'm not as high on the Tebow pick as you are, but it was the 'throwing away' some picks that had me really bothered more than anything else.

That was the reason for my C grade.

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 02:08 PM
To me, that these older guys were brought in with the expectation that they'll immediately start says something about the talent level of the younger defensive linemen on the roster. As another poster said, if these older guys happen to break down, I'm not real confident that the run defense will look any better than last year's.

Too me it says we signed better guys to a unit that was solid for a half a year last year. now you take that same unit that was solid for a half year last year and add 3 more guys and u have a solid 7 man rotation.

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 02:12 PM
^^who are you?

i could have sworn i already pmd you telling you i was dakid/inf from the aol chat

EMB6903
04-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Great post, Lan. I agree with most of this. I'm not as high on the Tebow pick as you are, but it was the 'throwing away' some picks that had me really bothered more than anything else.

That was the reason for my C grade.

Thats the only thing that I was upset with, not the fact that we had gotten Tebow but Mcdaniels lack of patience is ridiculous.

last year he trades his first rounder to trade for Alphonso Smith in the 2nd, along with trading 2 3rd rounders for Richard Quinn in the 2nd when he could have been there a day later....

trades 3 good picks to move into the 1st round instead of waiting it out and seeing if Tebow drops?

even trading a 2011 5th rounder for 2 7th rounders made me shake my head wondering what the hell Mcdaniels is thinking.

EMB6903
04-25-2010, 02:13 PM
i could have sworn i already pmd you telling you i was dakid/inf from the aol chat

riiiiiiiiiight....no way Dakid would be rockin a bradyquinn screen name

TimTebow15MVP
04-25-2010, 02:15 PM
lol its just a user name. im still waiting on my tebow user name

Lancane
04-25-2010, 02:20 PM
You call it what you want but Thomas ability has nothing to do with what offense he played in. It doesnt define him because he played in a triple option offense. it only limits what weve seen and what he may be capable of being that he was asked to do certain things in that offense. No college player is defined by what offense he played in. If thats the case jimmy cluasen shoulda went number one overall instead of bradford because he played in a pro style offense huh man? facts are not childish...

Signing Owens for a couple years would be insane for the developement of our young TEAM first wide outs. Owens comes in as a slow ass wide out whose basically a fast tight end now with average hands who wants the damn ball alllll the time. far from a TEAM player. McDaniels sent a clear message taking thomas over Bryant because its a character and team thing. While owens doesnt have off the field character issues he has on the field and locker room issues once hes comfortable somewhere..... The best way for our young wide outs to learn is to work hard and play right away. they are both natural play makers, Decker is already a great route runner and catches everything. Thomas is another who catches just about everything. limited in the amount of routes he can run for now but with his work ethic he will get it done. these guys just need to play not sit and learn from washed up TO.

Tell that to Alex Smith, Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Ki-Jarna Carter, Jim Drunkemiller, Rae Carruth, Aaron Cox, Clyde Duncan, Cade McNown and the list is long of players hindered by the collegiate programs they developed in, no matter the talent one has or hindered from lack of learning experience behind other pro athletes at the same position. There's a chance that both could naturally step in and contribute forgoing the learning curve, however, the chances are not in favor of such. They're both talented young men, but being forced into the lineup could also hinder them, their experiences in the collegiate programs could hinder just as much. Decker of the two has the likeliest chance to forgo needing development time. There's a concern there no matter if you want to see it or not, and I would rather him contribute little and learn so he can become more then being forced to do too much and then be lost at the pro-level.

If talent truly greater then experience and so forth and no program hinders development then we should have Tebow start over Kyle Orton and so on and so forth. Especially since you think learning behind experience is detrimental to an athletes growth.

:coffee:

Elevation inc
04-25-2010, 03:54 PM

you do know the main job of a 3-4 end is to stop the run and leave the sacks to the OLB's right;)......:beer:

anyways i think we shored it up by getting more guys to keep guys fresh....last year we started with good starters and wore down becasue of no depth.....this year we will start again with good starters and use a roation to keep everyone fresh so the wear down doesnt happen just how i see it....

atwater27
04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
you do know the main job of a 3-4 end is to stop the run and leave the sacks to the OLB's right;)......:beer:

The best 3-4 teams get good sack production from the ends too.:beer::beer:
anyways i think we shored it up by getting more guys to keep guys fresh....last year we started with good starters and wore down becasue of no depth.....this year we will start again with good starters and use a roation to keep everyone fresh so the wear down doesnt happen just how i see it....

Define depth. We had bodies. Now we have different bodies. old bodies whose best days are behind them. And who knows, maybe they will work out for a season or 2. It gives us no future depth and leaves us with no dynamic playmakers or talents on the D-line, which in my opinion is the most important unit of the defense.

Elevation inc
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Define depth. We had bodies. Now we have different bodies. old bodies whose best days are behind them. And who knows, maybe they will work out for a season or 2. It gives us no future depth and leaves us with no dynamic playmakers or talents on the D-line, which in my opinion is the most important unit of the defense.

fair enough but is very rarely more than 3 or 4 sacks a year...

i actually like mcbean and lekevin smith, chris baker is very well liked by the coaching staff, Thomas is moving to DE where he should have been all along....those guys aren't great starters but they are all capable....Add in bannan, and green and thats a very concrete rotation regardless of age....as for jamal and fields.....fields was absoluetly on fire the first eight games then wore down quite a bit.....having him and jamal williams takes the burden off each other and keeps both guys who have talent fresh...that helps in my eyes

there is no doubt we are approaching crunch time for adding youth to the DL....but im am much more confident in the DL we have now...then anything i have seen in denver in the last six years.......age is a factor, but we are better off today than we were last year or even out of TC....in my opinion....:salute:

atwater27
04-25-2010, 04:06 PM
I hope you are right. ;)

Elevation inc
04-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I hope you are right. ;)

so do I.....but im not near as worried as i have been the last 5 years......:beer:

thats gotta be a good thing right????........:lol:

SpringsBroncoFan
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Moving down to pick up the extra picks was terrific, but...

Giving them back was not... if McDaniels liked Tebow that much he should have just taken him at 22... or try to trade down again... although I think Josh may have been right that Tebow would have been gone by the 13th pick in the 2nd.

I would love to have seen the exact same draft except for:

Tim Tebow QB at 1-22
Brandon Spikes ILB at 2-25
Brandon LaFell WR at 3-6
Al Woods NT at 4-16

That would have been an A :beer:

OrangeHoof
04-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Pretty simple, folks...

Put your A+, B-, etc. in the same letter category just comment the +/- in your comment.

Oh, and make sure to work in all your McD, Tebow, etc. bashing along with the continued whining over Cutler's, Marshall's, (s)Chef's, etc. departures...

:D

This was an upside down draft where they seemingly made better moves at the end than they did at the beginning. All the moving down was great. Moving up to get Thomas and Tebow were highly questionable in both the costs for moving up and the need to get those two particular players.

They bounced back, however, with guys like Walton and Cox who, IMO, are the top two guys we drafted.

I give them a "C". I can't help but think about how special this draft could have been if they hadn't bit on Alphonso Smith last year and given up three more picks to take Tebow. They could have knocked this draft out of the park but they settled for a line single.

TXBRONC
04-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I gave this draft a C not because they are bad picks but because none of them save maybe Walton will more than likely not make a huge impact this year. It seems that just every player that was chosen for the future not for the here and the now. I would love nothing better than to be wrong about this class but I especially see Tebow and Thomas taking time to develop.

TXBRONC
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM

I couldn't disagree with you more. Tebow and Thomas are both phyically gifted but the mental aspect of the game that will eat their lunch. The teminology alone is going to be a bugger for them to grasp onto. Maybe I'll be wrong but I doubt it.

Lancane
04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I gave this draft a C not because they are bad picks but because now of save maybe Walton will more than likely not make a huge impact this year. It seems that just every player that was chosen for the future not for the here and the now. I love nothing better than to be wrong about these class especially Tebow and Thomas are going take time to develop.

I agree...

Decker will need a little time to develop as well. I'm a bit worried because in truth Thomas is not from a pro-ready system, and at this time it looks like our starters will be Royal, Gaffney and Stokely. Hopefully they're up to the task of having the weight of the passing offense on their shoulders. But I stand by what I said earlier, if McDaniels really wanted to give these two wideout prospects a fair shot, the best option would be to sign Owens for a season or two, so they have time to develop and so the offense is not hurting for them to having to step up too early. Plus the addition of Owens at least on paper makes our offense somewhat tolerable for the year, there is a chance that Gaffney, Stokely and Royal can not handle the weight that belonged to Marshall in the passing game.

Beadles and Walton will both make the biggest impact this season, Walton because he will more then likely be starting at center and because Beadles will challenge for either the right tackle slot or inside at guard. I'm not expecting too much from this draft in regards to the team, most need time to compete.

dogfish
04-25-2010, 07:59 PM
I gave this draft a C not because they are bad picks but because now of save maybe Walton will more than likely not make a huge impact this year. It seems that just every player that was chosen for the future not for the here and the now. I love nothing better than to be wrong about these class especially Tebow and Thomas are going take time to develop.

i definitely agree that tebow and thomas will take time to develop, but i think both decker and perrish cox have a decent chance to contribute this year-- i don't mean starting, but decker in our multiple receivers sets, and cox as the nickel or dime and on special teams. . .

and IF mcdaniels will open up the playbook, tebow should at least contribute in our Wild Ass and goal line packages-- which, when you think about it, is actually more than your typical rookie QB that doesn't walk right into a starting job like bradford will. . .

we'll see. . . aside from walton it doesn't look like the instant impact class i was hoping for, but there are certainly some roles available if a few of the kids can step up and take them. . .

Ziggy
04-25-2010, 08:02 PM

What killed the draft for Denver were in my honest opinion the last three picks, the fact that Denver wasted a fifth round pick from next year for two seventh round picks and taking two prospects that could more then likely have been signed as undrafted free agents.

So the draft went from an A to average because of a 6th round pick and 2- 7ths? :confused: There's no way to guarantee that Denver would have been able to sign the 2- 7ths as UDFA's. How many 5-7th round picks make an NFL team? To say that Denver nailed the top of the draft and then blew it because of the 6th and 7th round is absurd.

Nearly everyone was in agreement that this was one of the deepest drafts in a decade. Giving up a 5th round pick next year to get 2 players in this draft is not a wasted pick. At worst, we now have 2 players that have a chance to make the roster rather than one. The odds of late round draft picks sticking on the roster and making a difference are very slim.

I may not have understood taking another midget corner, especially one with poor speed, but it was a late round gamble. Who cares? You roll the dice in the later rounds. You take guys that show you something on film and can help out on special teams. See who sticks. The odds that any of them do are poor as it is. Might as well go 2 for 1.

dogfish
04-25-2010, 08:10 PM
one thing i loved about this draft-- we were still taking players that i'd heard of in the 5th and 6th rounds, guys who were legitimate good players in college. . . not purely developmental no-names. . . those later round picks are the guys that typically fill out your depth, which in such a violent sport can make or break a playoff run. . . when you don't hit on those picks you usually end up wasting money on crappy veteran castoffs-- getting guys in that area that can capably fill roster spots is big. . .

i think cox and olsen both have a good chance to stick long term-- in fact, i think both have starter potential. . . gotta like that. . .

Lancane
04-25-2010, 08:10 PM
So the draft went from an A to average because of a 6th round pick and 2- 7ths? :confused: There's no way to guarantee that Denver would have been able to sign the 2- 7ths as UDFA's. How many 5-7th round picks make an NFL team? To say that Denver nailed the top of the draft and then blew it because of the 6th and 7th round is absurd.

Nearly everyone was in agreement that this was one of the deepest drafts in a decade. Giving up a 5th round pick next year to get 2 players in this draft is not a wasted pick. At worst, we now have 2 players that have a chance to make the roster rather than one. The odds of late round draft picks sticking on the roster and making a difference are very slim.

I may not have understood taking another midget corner, especially one with poor speed, but it was a late round gamble. Who cares? You roll the dice in the later rounds. You take guys that show you something on film and can help out on special teams. See who sticks. The odds that any of them do are poor as it is. Might as well go 2 for 1.

It was not just the picks, Olsen was not just sliding down the boards, he was free-falling. There was a lot of valuable better graded prospects still available at the pick. The real loss was the fifth round pick for two seventh rounders both of which were more then likely to go undrafted and be available. Alah Alphonso Smith? Even with the loss of the picks to get back into the first and to move up for Thomas with New England had dropped the grade somewhat. It was the third and fifth round picks that brought the grade back up, only to see McDaniels take three questionable picks for the value...basically we got three players that may have gone undrafted for a fifth and sixth round pick, even if there was three drafted out of it...that combination is what dropped it to a C grading, they barely would have gotten an A from me, so fair to say it would have been an A- if they had stopped with Cox...

Make sense?

Ziggy
04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
It was not just the picks, Olsen was not just sliding down the boards, he was free-falling. There was a lot of valuable better graded prospects still available at the pick. The real loss was the fifth round pick for two seventh rounders both of which were more then likely to go undrafted and be available. Alah Alphonso Smith? Even with the loss of the picks to get back into the first and to move up for Thomas with New England had dropped the grade somewhat. It was the third and fifth round picks that brought the grade back up, only to see McDaniels take three questionable picks for the value...basically we got three players that may have gone undrafted for a fifth and sixth round pick, even if there was three drafted out of it...that combination is what dropped it to a C grading, they barely would have gotten an A from me, so fair to say it would have been an A- if they had stopped with Cox...

Make sense?

Not really, but we all have different ideas of what makes or breaks a draft. I don't think a guy like Thompson would come to Denver as an UDFA, when teams out there have a bigger need at corner. We have 2 established vets in place, just signed a nickel corner in FA, spent a high pick last year, and drafted Cox, who many graded out to be the 2nd best corner in the draft. He would have a better chance of earning a spot on a team that was desperate for a CB. Keep in mind, that doesn't mean that I like the pick. I didn't. I just don't think that 6 and 7th rounders are going to change my grade on a draft much at all.

It's good to see that you liked the first 5 rounds though. In my opinion, it's the 1st through 4th rounds that you really build the nucleus of a team with.

Ziggy
04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
One other thing to think about is the Ed Werder inteview. He talked about how McD opened up to him before the draft. He told him that we wanted Tebow and Thomas. We went into the draft with a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. We ended up selecting in the 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 7th. We got both of our 1st rounders that were targeted and only ended up spending a future 5th on top of what we had. Like the picks or not, McD and Xanders manipulated the draft to perfection.

Skinny
04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Define depth. We had bodies. Now we have different bodies. old bodies whose best days are behind them. And who knows, maybe they will work out for a season or 2. It gives us no future depth and leaves us with no dynamic playmakers or talents on the D-line, which in my opinion is the most important unit of the defense. 2 would be a blessing. That will atleast give us a little time.

Tned
04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
One other thing to think about is the Ed Werder inteview. He talked about how McD opened up to him before the draft. He told him that we wanted Tebow and Thomas. We went into the draft with a 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th. We ended up selecting in the 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 7th. We got both of our 1st rounders that were targeted and only ended up spending a future 5th on top of what we had. Like the picks or not, McD and Xanders manipulated the draft to perfection.

Wasn't that two 3rds we got in the end?

Ziggy
04-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Wasn't that two 3rds we got in the end?

Correct, and good catch Tned. Corrected.

Lonestar
04-25-2010, 08:54 PM

Plus last year it was a new scheme for everyone and frankly New positions and techniques for almost all of them also.
hen i saw Nolan think he was going to get it done all year with Fields as the NT who had never played it before I thought he was nuts. But to fields credit He did as best he could till he was to tired to pop .

While bringing in a Biggie NT that many said was over the hill and had been on IR at the EOY Was a pleasant surprise I had hoped to see another NT NT besides Baker brought in to help keep the big fella rotated and feast for the play offs.

I think Josh bought into whatever Nolan was telling him until the Near EOY games when the D NO showed in a couple of times.

that has seemed to rectify itself and now Josh seems to have a DC that the players believe in as well as someone that has allegiance to a Josh for giving him a chance.

No I do nto see this as a another slowitt issue, but it could turn out that way, although I'm guessing that Xman will keep it under control IF it looks that way.

Lonestar
04-25-2010, 09:08 PM

I do not see how it would not improve a Bunch. The younger players flat had never been in the 3-4 before and when EVERYONE is new that is chaos in itself. Now we have some real talent in front of them to show them the finer points on how to do stuff.

Who was going to teach Chris Baker a HUge kid that really had not seen the 3-4 before showing up last year this time in OTA's Lots of potential but Fields was supposed to teach him when he was learning it himself? Not happening the same went Thomas he was of no real value as he just is not a NT typo of guy.

Now they have an all pro to watch and learn from as well as a Years Experience behind them. Plus they do not have to play most downs. they can actually rotate with someone that knows the difference of shit from shineola.

Elevation inc
04-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Plus last year it was a new scheme for everyone and frankly New positions and techniques for almost all of them also.
hen i saw Nolan think he was going to get it done all year with Fields as the NT who had never played it before I thought he was nuts. But to fields credit He did as best he could till he was to tired to pop .

While bringing in a Biggie NT that many said was over the hill and had been on IR at the EOY Was a pleasant surprise I had hoped to see another NT NT besides Baker brought in to help keep the big fella rotated and feast for the play offs.

I think Josh bought into whatever Nolan was telling him until the Near EOY games when the D NO showed in a couple of times.

that has seemed to rectify itself and now Josh seems to have a DC that the players believe in as well as someone that has allegiance to a Josh for giving him a chance.

No I do nto see this as a another slowitt issue, but it could turn out that way, although I'm guessing that Xman will keep it under control IF it looks that way.

that biggie NT you speak of is chris baker who the coaches seem very high on....had they not been high on baker they would have drafted a NT much the way they drafted CB after smith failed last year....

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 07:13 AM
i definitely agree that tebow and thomas will take time to develop, but i think both decker and perrish cox have a decent chance to contribute this year-- i don't mean starting, but decker in our multiple receivers sets, and cox as the nickel or dime and on special teams. . .

and IF mcdaniels will open up the playbook, tebow should at least contribute in our Wild Ass and goal line packages-- which, when you think about it, is actually more than your typical rookie QB that doesn't walk right into a starting job like bradford will. . .

we'll see. . . aside from walton it doesn't look like the instant impact class i was hoping for, but there are certainly some roles available if a few of the kids can step up and take them. . .

I've said that myself that I could see Tebow coming in play some in the Wild Ass formation. I hadn't thought about Tebow being used in goalline but that is another place I could see him being used a little bit.

I also hope you're right about Decker and Cox.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 08:34 AM
I havent posted since FRI. I wanted to watch the rest fo the draft and let it sink in for a few days, plus the Tebow hype is lunatic.
Overall, i gave the draft a B.
I think MCD hit on all the players he drafted.
I love ALL of the O-line selections, and that aspect of the team has been addressed pefectly. Just great picks.
Olsen,Walton Beadles are ALL multi-positional players, who have means streak and love to maul. Just fantastic picks.
2 NFL ready WRs who are both great red zone weapons. These 2 could go down as serious steals. Decker could become the best #2 reciever in the NFL.
Perrish Cox is a great pick too, multi-talented, and highly underrated. Love this pick.
I would have liked to have seen some depth at NT and ILB, so i give the draft a B overall.

LTC Pain
04-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I havent posted since FRI. I wanted to watch the rest fo the draft and let it sink in for a few days, plus the Tebow hype is lunatic.
I love ALL of the O-line selections, and that aspect of the team has been addressed pefectly. Just great picks.
Olsen,Walton Beadles are ALL multi-positional players, who have means streak and love to maul. Just fantastic picks.
2 NFL ready WRs who are both great red zone weapons. These 2 could go down as serious steals. Decker could become the best #2 reciever in the NFL.
Perrish Cox is a great pick too, multi-talented, and highly underrated. Love this pick.
I would have liked to have seen some depth at NT and ILB, so i give the draft a B overall.

Agreed! Who doesn't like O-line guys that not only block but want to kick someones ass while doing it! I was looking for the Broncos to pick a FB in this draft as well. Hope one surfaces among undrafted free agents.

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 11:24 AM

You think Thomas is NFL ready? He looks like might ultimately be a beast but I think it will take some time before that will happen.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 11:55 AM
You think Thomas is NFL ready? He looks like might ultimately be a beast but I think it will some time before that will happen.

I think Decker if healthy right away, might see more of the field than Thomas, however, this kid is apparently a quick study, so hopefully he starts by week 4
Thomas knows the route tree, but they only ran like 3 routes at GT, so he has some work to do.
His physical abilites are identical to Marshall, so he might just become a outlet type player that can run intermediate routes and the QB can use him much like a TE on come backs and short passes. he should have no trouble with these, and his physical ability should help him there.

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I think Decker if healthy right away, might see more of the field than Thomas, however, this kid is apparently a quick study, so hopefully he starts by week 4
Thomas knows the route tree, but they only ran like 3 routes at GT, so he has some work to do.
His physical abilites are identical to Marshall, so he might just become a outlet type player that can run intermediate routes and the QB can use him much like a TE on come backs and short passes. he should have no trouble with these, and his physical ability should help him there.

See I had heard that no one knew if Thomas knows the route tree. If he does that hopefully help him to develop a little quicker. I really do hope you're right.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
See I had heard that no one knew if Thomas knows the route tree. If he does that hopefully help him to develop a little quicker. I really do hope you're right.

I believe he was interviewed recently, and stated that at GT he learned the route tree, but that weird offense never allowed for alot of them.

Cugel
04-26-2010, 01:04 PM
B+ as of Thomas
The F for Tebow brought overall down to D
Good recovery the rest of the draft to bring it back up to C

But, as T.K.O. implied, we'll see . . . -----

Wow TOP! I thought you'd be on the "character comes first" bandwagon. I'd give the Tebow pick a D rather than an "F" because he might provide a spark in some situations and could develop into an adequate passer.

As Tony Dungee said in an otherwise laudatory interview: "He'll never be another Peyton Manning, but. . . "

Well, you WANT your franchise QB to at least have the POSSIBILITY of developing into "another Peyton Manning." That's the gold standard.

I couldn't agree more though about your overall score though.

I see Tebow at BEST as another Michael Vick (minus the serious Jones for Dog-fighting). :coffee:

I'm not as impressed with Thomas, but he does have good size and physical agility. He's a hard worker and will go up and fight for the ball.

He's very raw though which makes it difficult to give him a "B+" grade right now. He reminds me a bit of Vincent Jackson when he first came into the league. It took awhile for Jackson to become the dependable player he is today. He had to learn to catch with his hands not his body and to run precise routes etc.

Same thing here. Thomas only ran 3 routes in college, he's going to have to learn:

1. Precise route running.
2. To catch with his hands and not try and trap the ball with his body -- DBs will break up way too many passes if he tries to wait for the ball to settle in his arms.
3. To find the seam in the defense and anticipate his QB when flushed from the pocket.
4. To read defenses and anticipate how the defender will try and play him.
5. To hold onto the ball better and not drop so many passes.

In short he needs to learn EVERYTHING! He's totally raw.

That doesn't mean of course that he won't be successful or can't be successful. It just means it will take a while before we know how good he can be.

He might wind up being great and make everybody forget about Brandon Marshall, and he might be a total bust. We just don't know right now because he's so unpolished.

As for the rest of the draft it wasn't too bad either. Aside from LB they got players at every position of need.

And the pickup of RB Chris Brown was a nice addition too.

Cugel
04-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I believe he was interviewed recently, and stated that at GT he learned the route tree, but that weird offense never allowed for alot of them.

You can't say you "learned" the routes if you never ran them in a game. That's like saying you "learned to speak French" if you never actually traveled to France or tried to use it on a French-speaker!

He ran a total of 3 different routes in college.

That doesn't mean he can't learn, only that he will need a lot of practice and that his development is behind a lot of other players who have better college experience.

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Same thing here. Thomas only ran 3 routes in college, he's going to have to learn:

1. Precise route running.
2. To catch with his hands and not try and trap the ball with his body -- DBs will break up way too many passes if he tries to wait for the ball to settle in his arms.
3. To find the seam in the defense and anticipate his QB when flushed from the pocket.
4. To read defenses and anticipate how the defender will try and play him.
5. To hold onto the ball better and not drop so many passes.

In short he needs to learn EVERYTHING! He's totally raw.

Cug, look at Thomas's highlight film. He almost always catches with his hands and doesn't let the ball get into his body. If you want to see a guy who needs help with that, take a look at Golden Tate's film. That kid needs to completely change the way he attacks the ball.

His route running will have to improve, and reading defenses is something we'll have to find out about at the next level. He's far from a polished receiver, which is something you don't often see in a 1st round pick. His potential is through the roof though. I hope this kid works out.

TimTebow15MVP
04-26-2010, 01:20 PM
You can't say you "learned" the routes if you never ran them in a game. That's like saying you "learned to speak French" if you never actually traveled to France or tried to use it on a French-speaker!

That doesn't mean he can't learn, only that he will need a lot of practice and that his development is behind a lot of other players who have better college experience.

that is by far the worst comparison i ever heard in my life. Now you cant learn french unless youve been to france? :confused:

Hell i aint no mechanic but i sure know a thing or two about working on cars from learning around my father and uncle but hey what do i know ive never worked in a shop? Is what your saying.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM

So it abslotuely has to be in a game. He cant learn the tree through practice and watching film. That makes no sense and at least he knows how to find a bathroom (10 yard post), get a cab (out and up) and tell an obnoxious d-bag to piss off (10 yard flag) when it comes to running routes in your world as opposed to not knowing any of it.
Ah poor cugel, C'est la vie....

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 01:27 PM

That's helps, now can he run routes with precision? I would guess it is very possible that he would still need to work on that aspect of route running.

What's the one hang up that most players especially skill postion player have a problem with? Terminoloy.

sanluis
04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Day one picks are a year or two away from making any impact for the team IMO if at all. WRs and QBs take some time to develop and these guys will probably be the same.

The rest of Denver's draft looks to be OK. I gave it a low grade D+ because I look for players that will make an immediate impact for early rounders. The wide out fills a need but the QB really was a reach and I can't see any up side over the QBs that are currently on the roster. So that really pulled the the grade down IMO.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Day one picks are a year or two away from making any impact for the team IMO if at all. WRs and QBs take some time to develop and these guys will probably be the same.

The rest of Denver's draft looks to be OK. I gave it a low grade D+ because I look for players that will make an immediate impact for early rounders. The wide out fills a need but the QB really was a reach and I can't see any up side over the QBs that are currently on the roster. So that really pulled the the grade down IMO. plus i'm a sparkler fan and will never give any credit to any team who's forums i troll, so yeah, basically the sparkler's sucked balls and lost to a rookie QB who started 16 college games, and never won anything either. Yeah, we suck. Heres to not making any sense!
:beer: Fixed.

sanluis
04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=sanluis;965134]Day one picks are a year or two away from making any impact for the team IMO if at all. WRs and QBs take some time to develop and these guys will probably be the same.

The rest of Denver's draft looks to be OK. I gave it a low grade D+ because I look for players that will make an immediate impact for early rounders. The wide out fills a need but the QB really was a reach and I can't see any up side over the QBs that are currently on the roster. So that really pulled the the grade down IMO. plus i'm a sparkler fan and will never give any credit to any team who's forums i troll, so yeah, basically the sparkler's sucked balls and lost to a rookie QB who started 16 college games, and never won anything either. Yeah, we suck. Heres to not making any sense!QUOTE]
:beer: Fixed.

:lol: look who's being a troll! :lol:

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 01:48 PM

The rest of Denver's draft looks to be OK. I gave it a low grade D+ because I look for players that will make an immediate impact for early rounders. The wide out fills a need but the QB really was a reach and I can't see any up side over the QBs that are currently on the roster. So that really pulled the the grade down IMO.

No actually Tebow wasn't reach at 25. What I had seen a day or two before the draft was that Tebow was seen as late first to second round pick. Taking him at 11 would have been a reach. One mock I saw had him going at 25. Besides there have been strong indication that the Bills were going to put a package together to take him at 25 as well.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 01:51 PM
No actually Tebow wasn't reach at 25. What I had seen a day or two before the draft was that Tebow was seen as late first to second round pick. Taking him at 11 would have been a reach. One mock I saw had him going at 25. Besides there have been strong indication that the Bills were going to put a package together to take him at 25 as well.

Stop being a troll at our own forum, darnit!

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Stop being a troll at our own forum, darnit!

:smack:

:cheers:

dogfish
04-26-2010, 03:06 PM

D+, huh?

yea, i don't blame you for being scared-- you know tebow's gonna be kicking your ass for many years to come. . . .

:beer:

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
D+, huh?

yea, i don't blame you for being scared-- you know tebow's gonna be kicking your ass for many years to come. . . .

Cause we all know that rookie Mark Sanchez didnt make an impact on the sparklers.

Dortoh
04-26-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd say the MoClarrett pick errr Tebow pick makes this a c+

OrangeHoof
04-26-2010, 04:07 PM
that is by far the worst comparison i ever heard in my life. Now you cant learn french unless youve been to france? :confused:

Hell i aint no mechanic but i sure know a thing or two about working on cars from learning around my father and uncle but hey what do i know ive never worked in a shop? Is what your saying.

I think that's EXACTLY what he's saying. I shared a house with a guy who ran a stereo repair business out of his home. It taught me a lot about stereos I didn't know before I moved in but it didn't make me qualified to repair stereos.

It's sort of like all these internet GMs who think they can run a franchise because they won their fantasy league twice.

sanluis
04-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Cause we all know that rookie Mark Sanchez didnt make an impact on the sparklers.

You a JETS fan now ? :confused: :lol:

Mark did a great job and made some good plays. He made a great contribution his first year. Is Tebow going to do the same for Denver ?? Not this year IMO.

Slick
04-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I'd say the MoClarrett pick errr Tebow pick makes this a c+

Clay likes Tebow. So unless you aren't really Dortoh, that means you like Tebow.

sanluis
04-26-2010, 04:17 PM
D+, huh?

I hear he throws INTs with both hands. Orton better watch out!!! :lol:

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Sanluis has been a solid poster for a while. I don't take his post as trolling, just an honest opinion. You're right on track with most of the expert's opinions Sanluis. Very few think that Tebow will become a legit NFL QB. The odds are completely stacked against him. Then again, they said the same things to him coming into his sophmore year at Florida. They said that all he could do was run. Keep fueling the fire brother.

Slick
04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
sanluis is good people.

Northman
04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
But his team still sucks. :)

Slick
04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
But his team still sucks. :)

Absolutely.

dogfish
04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
I hear he throws INTs with both hands. Orton better watch out!!! :lol:

you heard wrong-- what they actually said was he throws handfuls of touchdowns every game. . .

try to pay attention. . . . :D

eessydo
04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
D.

Thomas is allright, but the guy can't run routes and has alligator arms.
Tebow is allright, just the value on him is not their at 25. That was a bonehead move when we could have stayed put.

Round 1 was a failure in my opinion solely because I think where and how we picked didn't match what we picked, which sort of snowballed the rest of the draft in to picking all of the other positions we were in dire need of, some of which we didn't fill.

C, G, DT, ILB

Bottom-line, I may be wrong, but I just think their were better players on the board.

Seems like we wheel and deal for situational players that play 25% or less snaps, but for some reason see no value in using high draft picks on players that can make a difference now.

Hoping I am proved wrong here but I doubt it.

SOCALORADO.
04-26-2010, 04:54 PM

Mark did a great job and made some good plays. He made a great contribution his first year. Is Tebow going to do the same for Denver ?? Not this year IMO.

How would you know? Anythings possible and listening to the babbling morons and talking heads who are correct 10% of the time, and call themselves analysts dont know squat.
Tebows throwing motions no worse than Rivers "shot put" style.
Hes turned out just fine. You statement just doesnt add up and your teams loss last year to a ROOKIE QB proves it.
Anything can happen.

Dortoh
04-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Clay likes Tebow. So unless you aren't really Dortoh, that means you like Tebow.

:laugh: Now I know Im right about Tebow :laugh:

Dreadnought
04-26-2010, 05:01 PM
:laugh: Now I know Im right about Tebow :laugh:

Hell, Dortoh, even I like Tebow, and I don't like much of anything...well, actually, I like this draft a lot, so I take that back. I reserve the right to hate McDaniels and most of his personnel moves until this draft. Or actually, the Brandon Marshall trade, because I liked that one too. Hmm.

GGMoogly
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I still despise McD, but after picking Tim Tremendous, I'm open to changing my mind. Tebow's a winner!

weazel
04-26-2010, 05:22 PM
teh draft wasn't as bad as I thought after the 1st round...

it's a good thing the they could remove the bullet, and it didn't have lethal damage!

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 05:27 PM

I don't think anyone around here realistically thinks he will so I'm quite sure what you're point is?

Northman
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
It is weird watching those who havent like McD at all the last year or so all of a sudden in love with him for drafting tebow. So it got me wondering, are those guys really a fan of the team? Or just in love with the team when theirs a franchise QB (or possible franchise QB) on the team? And thats not to call out their fandom but rather a serious question because it is ODD behavior.

Dreadnought
04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
It is weird watching those who havent like McD at all the last year or so all of a sudden in love with him for drafting tebow. So it got me wondering, are those guys really a fan of the team? Or just in love with the team when theirs a franchise QB (or possible franchise QB) on the team? And thats not to call out their fandom but rather a serious question because it is ODD behavior.

Nuh-uh. McDaniels remains a dishonest turdburglar IMO. I want him gone, and will drink heavily the day he is fired. The Tebow pick was potentially great for the Broncos, but my issues with McD are far deeper than one pick or one draft or even future winning records can deal with.

Lonestar
04-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Hell, Dortoh, even I like Tebow, and I don't like much of anything...well, actually, I like this draft a lot, so I take that back. I reserve the right to hate McDaniels and most of his personnel moves until this draft. Or actually, the Brandon Marshall trade, because I liked that one too. Hmm.

So just what did hate about his personnel moves? Cutler and our old LS besides those two favorites, did you really want us to keep all of the 08 Defense?

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Nuh-uh. McDaniels remains a dishonest turdburglar IMO. I want him gone, and will drink heavily the day he is fired. The Tebow pick was potentially great for the Broncos, but my issues with McD are far deeper than one pick or one draft or even future winning records can deal with.

So you'll hate McD even if he brings the Broncos a Lombardi?

Tned
04-26-2010, 05:49 PM
sanluis is good people.

Yea, he's not a bad guy for a Chief's fan....

;) :lol:

Tned
04-26-2010, 05:51 PM

You can get angry again when he trades Tebow for a 5th, because he says "yes sir" in the wrong tone of voice.... ;)

Tned
04-26-2010, 05:53 PM

I think it's more that they see him as attempting to fix something he broke, which is a step in the right direction.

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 05:57 PM

I didn't want McDaniels to draft Tebow for that matter I was leery of the Thomas pick as well but I've never taken it out on the player (and I'm not saying you do). They are not in control of who drafts them and where they are drafted. I just try to be supportive because they are Broncos.

I think something that is just odd is when guys can complain years on end about how Shanahan did things and picks took and where he took them yet McDaniels is doing the exact same thing but now it's ok.

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM

They think that McD is the devil, and Tebow can exorcise the demon?

Lancane
04-26-2010, 06:11 PM

It's statements like this that are in piss poor taste...and North, your better then that.

A fan does not have to welcome or accept the direction his or her favorite team takes. You'd be hard pressed to find a fanbase that is near seventy-five percent behind the actions of the organization they're fans of. Would not a smart fan question what he or she feels is either a good or a bad move?

We can argue politics, that doesn't make one less American cause we don't buy into the bullshit a certain party is spewing...that's the great thing about not being more primative primates ourselves, our ability to utilize our own intelligence, to question everything and the ability to reason on what we learn.

And another thing...if you talk with the fans of other NFL organizations regarding 'franchise quarterbacks', then you'll find that most fandoms have similar issues with it, the majority want that type of quarterback...they're the face of the team, the leader and so on. Some of us loath Orton and do not support him, a good number of his supporters do not support Tebow, so it would be hypocritical to say it's one side or the other.

;)

Dreadnought
04-26-2010, 06:12 PM
They think that McD is the devil, and Tebow can exorcise the demon?

Nah, Tebow can be a good guy and a potentially good QB in the future. Redeeming McDaniels will take more juice than Tim Tebow has. I believe Mcdaniels lied to and about subordinates. Unforgivable in any context for anyone purporting to be a leader.

TimTebow15MVP
04-26-2010, 06:19 PM
mcd is pure genius like it or not

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Nah, Tebow can be a good guy and a potentially good QB in the future. Redeeming McDaniels will take more juice than Tim Tebow has. I believe Mcdaniels lied to and about subordinates. Unforgivable in any context for anyone purporting to be a leader.

Well, you're entitiled to your opinion Dread. Without being in meetings at Dove Valley, it's all assumption, good or bad. Coaches always posture for draft positioning, free agent signings, motivating thier team,etc. Only those behind the walls know what has really happened. You can choose to hate anyone based on assumptions.

Lancane
04-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Well, you're entitiled to your opinion Dread. Without being in meetings at Dove Valley, it's all assumption, good or bad. Coaches always posture for draft positioning, free agent signings, motivating thier team,etc. Only those behind the walls know what has really happened. You can choose to hate anyone based on assumptions.

I don't think too many hate him, just the decisions and the moves he's made at times Zig...even Rav has said that he will likely go on to be a good coach, he just feels that he's going through a learning curve with Denver. There are plenty that feel that way as well. I think he's a hell of a coach, but I do question some of the issues and happenings that seem to be caused by Josh and others in the organization, even if they're not at fault. Hate is a strong word and I don't think all who speak out afainst him do in fact hate him as much as it seems.

spikerman
04-26-2010, 06:50 PM
mcd is pure genius like it or not

Really? What makes you say that?

Dreadnought
04-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Exactly - a little gut instinct and past experience leads me to one conclusion - and its by no means only re: Cutler. That wasn't his most egregious blunder, just his most well known. By the same token I've read countless posts about how our past QB "whined his way out of town." I don't buy it now, nor have I ever. Doesn't pass the laugh test IMO, anymore than benching Scheffler and Marshall prior to the week 17 game v. KC was "at the insistence of team leaders." That simply didn't happen IMO. Not only was it spiteful and pointless, he even arguably hurt the team even more by running down their reps prior to seeking a trade. Nor clinging to a badly fading Knowshon Moreno for no better reason than stubbornness and pride, to the cost of the team. C'mon, Josh, I wasn't born yesterday. I'm not as stupid as I arguably look.

He lost loyalty from guys he was supposed to lead, but only after he had treated them like crap. I don't blame a one of 'em.

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Well I may not agree with you Dread, but you have your reasons. So be it. In the end, we both want the same thing for the Broncos.

Northman
04-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Turdburgler. :lol::lol::lol:

Dreadnought
04-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Turdburgler. :lol::lol::lol:

Classic old school Beavis and Butthead :D

Northman
04-26-2010, 07:37 PM
It's statements like this that are in piss poor taste...and North, your better then that.

A fan does not have to welcome or accept the direction his or her favorite team takes. You'd be hard pressed to find a fanbase that is near seventy-five percent behind the actions of the organization they're fans of. Would not a smart fan question what he or she feels is either a good or a bad move?

We can argue politics, that doesn't make one less American cause we don't buy into the bullshit a certain party is spewing...that's the great thing about not being more primative primates ourselves, our ability to utilize our own intelligence, to question everything and the ability to reason on what we learn.

And another thing...if you talk with the fans of other NFL organizations regarding 'franchise quarterbacks', then you'll find that most fandoms have similar issues with it, the majority want that type of quarterback...they're the face of the team, the leader and so on. Some of us loath Orton and do not support him, a good number of his supporters do not support Tebow, so it would be hypocritical to say it's one side or the other.

;)

Now now Lan, i said it was a serious question. I wasnt trying to be a dick about it i just felt it was very strange that the select few who just couldnt accept anything this guy was doing all of a sudden were on his jock once Tebow was drafted. But, Dread answered the question and fine with that if thats the same for everyone else. Sometimes its very difficult to ask the "tough" questions on here without someone taking it badly. But there really was no negative intent on my part. I just found it strange.

spikerman
04-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I can honestly say that my opinion of him hasn't changed. I'm still not a fan.

Dreadnought
04-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Now now Lan, i said it was a serious question. I wasnt trying to be a dick about it i just felt it was very strange that the select few who just couldnt accept anything this guy was doing all of a sudden were on his jock once Tebow was drafted. But, Dread answered the question and fine with that if thats the same for everyone else. Sometimes its very difficult to ask the "tough" questions on here without someone taking it badly. But there really was no negative intent on my part. I just found it strange.

I think the problem is we tend to not actually read posts from guys we disagree with - so when posters with issues with McD raise a complaint they immediately get mindlessly accused of merely being "butt hurt" over Cutler. And some guys on my (i.e. the correct :D) side of the argument do a poor job themselves, complaining about McDaniels "nuthuggers." So arguments after a while don't get answered or refuted, and people get to talking in slogans.

Kind of dumb, and it becomes a waste of time after a while to try and have a conversation. Though almost never with you of course...

Tned
04-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Well, I didn't hate McDaniels before and am not on his jock now, so maybe I'm not the best to answer this, but I will explain my general position.

I think that McDaniels has an incredible football mind, probably from growing up the son of a coach and loving football (probably a smart ****** too). I love the way he mapped out every practice of TC before camp even began. The way he and Nolan had the guys doing basic tackling drills that some of those guys might not have done since high school or college (or never). I love the fact that he doesn't mind showing his excitement on the sidelines or at a post game presser -- that he is willing to show the fact he's living his dream and loving every moment of it. I think the odds are he is going to be a great head coach, and I 'hope' it is while he is the coach of the Broncos.

What I don't like is what appears to be a combination of a huge ego and immaturity, both as a person and head coach. He has shown a habit of getting into pissing contests with players -- publicly. Battling with his players via the press. Like Dread, I believe he lied and got caught. I have no problem with a coach lieing to the press, unlike many fans, I think it is a coaches job to do so. However, he clearly had discussions about trading Cutler all the way back to the combine, and then attempted to trade him for Cassel, before it fell through. Then, rather than going the mea culpe route and saying he got caught up at the thought of being reunited with his guy, he tried to BS his way through and refused to say, "Jay, you're my guy" and instead publicly, and apparently privately, went with, "I have no plans to trade him now, but if trading him is the best thing for the team...." That goes without saying, so the ONLY reason for saying it is to put the player in his place, publicly. A trait he has shown over and over now.

Regardless of what Marshall did, you don't take the most talented guy on your football team and put him on the scout team, running as a punt gunner and safety, unless you are trying to publicly humiliate and break the player.

Regardless of if you think a player is faking an injury, you don't state that to the press, thereby once again starting a public pissing contest and severely diminishing the players value when you trade him.

These are all examples of his ego and immaturity showing. North, you are one of the people that says, "if they didn't want to be on the team...", well that's BS. There are players all around the league that have asked for trades, and said they didn't want to stay on a team. What the other 31 head coaches around the league do is to either tell the players "tough, play or sit and get fined" or they work with the player and try and repair the relationship between the team and player. The "he doesn't want to be part of the team, so shouldn't be here" stuff is just BS. Plain and simple. This isn't high school ball, this is the NFL. Players want to be on a team, BECAUSE they are paid to want to be on the team. How many players do you actually see give a home team discount? It almost never happens, because the NFL is a business. Players get that. Coaches get that. GM's and owners get that. However, some fans don't.

Anyway, that is what I like about McDaniels and what I don't. I hope that he grows as a head coach fast enough that he survives as the Broncos head coach, rather than letting his ego and immaturity do more damage than his brains and football smarts can repair.

I hope 14 years from now we are talking about how he has now been with the Broncos longer than Shanahan was.

atwater27
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM
Exactly - a little gut instinct and past experience leads me to one conclusion - and its by no means only re: Cutler. That wasn't his most egregious blunder, just his most well known. By the same token I've read countless posts about how our past QB "whined his way out of town." I don't buy it now, nor have I ever. Doesn't pass the laugh test IMO, anymore than benching Scheffler and Marshall prior to the week 17 game v. KC was "at the insistence of team leaders." That simply didn't happen IMO. Not only was it spiteful and pointless, he even arguably hurt the team even more by running down their reps prior to seeking a trade. Nor clinging to a badly fading Knowshon Moreno for no better reason than stubbornness and pride, to the cost of the team. C'mon, Josh, I wasn't born yesterday. I'm not as stupid as I arguably look.

He lost loyalty from guys he was supposed to lead, but only after he had treated them like crap. I don't blame a one of 'em.

Wow. Right on, my thoughts exactly. Now I am just resigned and just sit there and watch it all unfold with a sigh. Or a yelp.

James Bond
04-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd say McD and X made good picks......

TXBRONC
04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't think too many hate him, just the decisions and the moves he's made at times Zig...even Rav has said that he will likely go on to be a good coach, he just feels that he's going through a learning curve with Denver. There are plenty that feel that way as well. I think he's a hell of a coach, but I do question some of the issues and happenings that seem to be caused by Josh and others in the organization, even if they're not at fault. Hate is a strong word and I don't think all who speak out against him do in fact hate him as much as it seems.

I don't hate him but I do believe at best he's made some pretty poor decisions.

Overtime
04-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Draft is an F.

we having pressing needs at CB, on the DL, LB, and Safety, and what does McDaniels do? He pulls the Shanahan trick, goes all offense instead of Defense, taking 6 offensive players, out of the 9 drafted.

Round 1, Pick 22 (22) (from N.E.) - WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech
Round 1, Pick 25 (25) (from Balt.) - QB Tim Tebow, Florida
Round 2, Pick 13 (45) - OL Zane Beadles, Utah
Round 3, Pick 17 (80) - C J.D. Walton, Baylor
Round 3, Pick 23 (87) (from Phil.) - WR Eric Decker, Minnesota
Round 5, Pick 6 (137) (from Cle. through Phil.) - CB Perrish Cox, Oklahoma State
Round 6, Pick 14 (183) - OL Eric Olsen, Notre Dame
Round 7, Pick 18 (225) (from Pit. through TB) - CB Syd'Quan Thompson, Cal
Round 7, Pick 25 (232) (from Bal. through TB) - LB Jammie Kirlew, Indiana

Tebow was a wasted pick, and one we paid extremely too much for. we traded 3 picks to move up and take a QB who has no quality NFL mechanics, and is IMO overrated. Sure he's a competitor, he won a couple National Championships, and he works hard, but sorry that doesn't mean it will translate to the NFL. The other reason this pick is wasted, is because we already had Brandstater (mark my words, he will be more successful than Tebow in the NFL), Quinn, and Orton, we DIDN'T NEED ANOTHER QB.

Demaryius Thomas...not a horrible pick, but the kid was most likely a mid 2nd round pick if anything. The Broncos should have drafted Dez Bryant or a quality shutdown cornerback, and that's one mistake that will come back to bite the Broncos in the ass down the road.

Zane Beadles looks like a decent pick to help anchor the Broncos OL, but with so many other players on defense available at the time, the Broncos could have waited.

i have to give this draft a Failing grade, because McDaniels dropped the ball big time with Tebow and Thomas, and then failing to add enough quality defensive help, which is what we really need.

Hopefully McDaniels will fall flat on his face this year, piss off some more players, run them out too, and then Bowlen will pull his head out of his ass and run McDaniels and Tebow out of town for good, because this is one experiement that's gone absolutely awry from Day 1.

SOCALORADO.
04-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Great draft. i gave it a B.
i would have liked to see an NT taken, but the O-line was revamped and i really liked the Perrish Cox and Decker picks as well.
Tebow will start, and Thomas will be marshall 2.0 (without the idiot problems)

TXBRONC
04-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I know a lot people don't like Woody Paige and think he's hack but this does echo some of positive sentiments that have said around here.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14980266

Woody's Mailbag: Bank on Tebow being a big-time NFL QB
Robert from Atlanta asks Woody why the Broncos drafted Tim Tebow
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/29/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 04/29/2010 12:21:00 PM MDT

Would you mind leading us all in a rendition of "Happy Trails" for Broncos coach Josh McDaniels after his idiotic 25th pick in this year's NFL draft of Tim Tebow? Does he really think Tebow is a franchise quarterback? I'd rather take my chances with Brady Quinn and draft a center or nose tackle with that pick. I'm not a general manager or a head coach, but I do know that if you're going to draft a QB in the first or second round, you had better expect him to be your franchise player. Tebow is not that.

— Robert, Atlanta

Robert: I bow to your expertise and welcome your opinion from Buckhead, except ... How in the name of God Shammgod (former NBA player) can you sit there staring at your computer screen in Atlanta and claim Tim Tebow won't be a franchise quarterback? Based on what? Your barber told you so?

I vividly remember writing in 1982, when the NFL strike was going on and I decided to travel around to see college players (Eric Dickerson, Herschel Walker and several others), and I wrote a column saying: "I have seen the future of pro football, and his name is John Elway."

I recommended that the Broncos find a way to get him. You know what people wrote, via snail mail: "Elway's a loser. He never got Stanford in a bowl. ... He's too cocky. ... He should play baseball, not football. He's not good enough to make it as a quarterback. ... Elway's a papa's boy. ... He can't throw short routes and doesn't read defenses. ... Elway won't be a franchise quarterback."

Five Super Bowls. Hall of Fame. (I gave his nominating speech: "Gentlemen, John Elway.")

Your reply is: "I've seen Elway, and Tebow is no Elway."

Tebow's assistant coach at the University of Florida in his senior season (and a main reason Tebow returned) was Scot Loeffler, a former NFL quarterbacks coach and one-time Michigan quarterback and Michigan assistant. He played with Tom Brady and was a graduate assistant helping Brady his senior year. Loeffler worked with Chad Henne, the Dolphins' starter. Loeffler has compared Tebow favorably to both guys.

Of course, Loeffler is biased. But he was brought in specifically to help Tebow get ready for the pros. Tebow did have a low start-up point on his throws in college, but he hired three former NFL coaches, and he has corrected the hitch.

Some claim he will go back to it. I don't believe so.

The young man has worked too hard over the years to correct flaws and get himself prepared to play high school, college and, now, pro football.

How many times have you talked to him, Robert? Let me guess.

How many times have you seen him play in person? How many of his coaches and opposing coaches and NFL coaches have your talked to?

I talked to Tebow twice in college, and I've spent some quality time with him in Denver the past week. He has that same aura Elway had as a rookie.

When he comes into a room, you can tell he's a quarterback. There's a je ne sais quoi. But there's a special quality.

John totally was a natural athlete, and maybe he didn't have to work so hard early on (although he did more as he got older and wanted so badly to win a Super Bowl).

Tebow always has worked harder than everyone around him and made himself into a quality player.

When he was in high school, Tebow attended a "Friday Night Lights" weekend at the University of Florida. After a meeting of young players and coaches, the Gators' strength and conditioning coach took Tebow downstairs to the weight room for a cheeseburger.

As the two sat there having lunch, Tebow asked what the Florida record was for most leg lifts. Mickey Marotti, the coach, replied: "Oh, 18, I think, by some lineman." After he finished his fries, Tebow walked over to the weights, did 19 lifts, and left.

He has a body that punishes defensive linemen. He can run better than Elway did. He can pass in this offense, just as Brady does at New England (under McDaniels for three years), and Brady can't run a lick.

I will tell you who to compare Tebow to: Steve Young. Out of high school, nobody wanted Young as a quarterback. Recruiters thought he was a running back or a safety.

He went to BYU because he was a great-great-great grandson of Brigham Young, and he was playing behind Jim McMahon when the Cougars played Colorado in Boulder in 1981. McMahon lit up CU early, then got hurt. Steve came in and ran and passed the Buffs silly, finishing off a 41-20 BYU victory. I wrote a column about this amazing kid. He was strictly a QB at BYU after that game.

But the NFL didn't think much of him, and people thought the left-hander would have to play another position in the pros. So Young went off to the USFL (signing with the Los Angeles team owned by Denver cable mogul Bill Daniels) and was great.

The Tampa Bay Bucs signed him. After a couple of years with that lousy team, Young went off to the 49ers and sat behind Joe Montana. When Montana was hurt, and later when he was traded, all Young — who didn't have a strong arm, but could throw hard and could run harder — did was become the most accurate passer in NFL history and win a Super Bowl (with Mike Shanahan as his offensive coordinator).

Shanahan loves Tebow. (You can add your own line here.) Tebow is Steve Young, who was a leader, a competitor, a football player, a quarterback, an intelligent young man who commanded respect from the other players.

When Young retired, I went to San Francisco, and in his hotel room he told me that he still had that column I wrote about him in college. "You were the first one to really praise me as a QB."

You can say I'm name-dropping, and that's fine, but I've been around Young and Elway, and I see a lot of the same characteristics in Tebow. All he does is win.

That must not be enough for you, Robert. You would prefer an inside linebacker. The Broncos just signed a veteran inside linebacker, and they still have Mario Haggan on the team, and they will be fine there.

Football and sports are entertainment. What's more entertaining in the NFL than the drafting of Tim Tebow? It will give us something to follow for years, just as Elway's acquisition gave us something to wonder about, then enjoy, in the 1980s and 1990s.

Did you think JaMarcus Russell was going to be a great quarterback? A lot of people were wrong about him. The Raiders are giving up on him.

Kyle Orton is not the long-term solution here. We don't know, honestly, about Brady Quinn. The Broncos will use Tebow 10 to 12 plays a game his rookie season as a wildcat quarterback, a third-and-1 quarterback, a fourth-and-2 quarterback, a change of pace quarterback.

McDaniels will bust himself to make Tebow a better quarterback, and I know Tebow will bust everything he has to prove people wrong who are somewhere off in Atlanta.

Tebow is not that? You don't know. Maybe I don't know. But I do know you and I and everyone else reading this mailbag will pay attention to him, more than Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy or Rolando McClain, and there will be anti-Tebowers and pro-Timmys.

You'd rather take your chance with Brady Quinn and have a nose tackle. The Broncos have three nose tackles. How many do you want, and would you really care if they had drafted Dan Williams out of Tennessee? No.

It was worth the chance, because we're all going to have fun with this for years.

Besides, when I shook hands with Tebow the other day, I was stunned by the large size of his hands. He's not going to fumble.

Lonestar
04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
i would have liked to see an NT taken, but the O-line was revamped and i really liked the Perrish Cox and Decker picks as well.

I do not think Tebow will start this next year, and IMO Thomas will be a FASTER BM without the attitude.

Yes I would have loved to have a NT but I'm guessing they are excited about Baker finally showing he might be able to take the job when Willaims retires If he does not step up this year then We will be drafting one next year.

CoachChaz
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM

I'll agree. I think every quality starting QB in the NFL has some sort of quirk or mechanics issue. Seems like it's almost necessary and I think Tebow will overcome it.

Thomas could be another Calvin Johnson. Hard to not be excited about that.

Beadles and Walton fill positions of need with smart, hardcore players

Cox could be a Pro-Bowl caliber CB if he gets his head screwed on straight. I dont think it's a reach to say that in a draft this deep, he could be the biggest steal of the whole thing.

Olsen is solid depth.

Decker...I didnt want the guy when I read his name in mocks and I'm not thrilled about him today either. If I saw his game without knowing much about him, I'd be thrilled. But the truth is, this guy has yet to play a full collegiate season...now we want him to do it in the NFL. I think he's had an injury on every body part below his waist already. I understand people living in the past and seeing "the next Eddie Mac"...especially now that he has his number...but I'll be shocked if this guy is ever much of a contributor to the team. I'd love to be wrong, though

SOCALORADO.
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
I know a lot people don't like Woody Paige and think he's hack but this does echo some of positive sentiments that have said around here.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14980266

Woody's Mailbag: Bank on Tebow being a big-time NFL QB
Robert from Atlanta asks Woody why the Broncos drafted Tim Tebow
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/29/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 04/29/2010 12:21:00 PM MDT

Would you mind leading us all in a rendition of "Happy Trails" for Broncos coach Josh McDaniels after his idiotic 25th pick in this year's NFL draft of Tim Tebow? Does he really think Tebow is a franchise quarterback? I'd rather take my chances with Brady Quinn and draft a center or nose tackle with that pick. I'm not a general manager or a head coach, but I do know that if you're going to draft a QB in the first or second round, you had better expect him to be your franchise player. Tebow is not that.

— Robert, Atlanta

Robert: I bow to your expertise and welcome your opinion from Buckhead, except ... How in the name of God Shammgod (former NBA player) can you sit there staring at your computer screen in Atlanta and claim Tim Tebow won't be a franchise quarterback? Based on what? Your barber told you so?

I vividly remember writing in 1982, when the NFL strike was going on and I decided to travel around to see college players (Eric Dickerson, Herschel Walker and several others), and I wrote a column saying: "I have seen the future of pro football, and his name is John Elway."

I recommended that the Broncos find a way to get him. You know what people wrote, via snail mail: "Elway's a loser. He never got Stanford in a bowl. ... He's too cocky. ... He should play baseball, not football. He's not good enough to make it as a quarterback. ... Elway's a papa's boy. ... He can't throw short routes and doesn't read defenses. ... Elway won't be a franchise quarterback."

Five Super Bowls. Hall of Fame. (I gave his nominating speech: "Gentlemen, John Elway.")

Your reply is: "I've seen Elway, and Tebow is no Elway."

Tebow's assistant coach at the University of Florida in his senior season (and a main reason Tebow returned) was Scot Loeffler, a former NFL quarterbacks coach and one-time Michigan quarterback and Michigan assistant. He played with Tom Brady and was a graduate assistant helping Brady his senior year. Loeffler worked with Chad Henne, the Dolphins' starter. Loeffler has compared Tebow favorably to both guys.

Of course, Loeffler is biased. But he was brought in specifically to help Tebow get ready for the pros. Tebow did have a low start-up point on his throws in college, but he hired three former NFL coaches, and he has corrected the hitch.

Some claim he will go back to it. I don't believe so.

The young man has worked too hard over the years to correct flaws and get himself prepared to play high school, college and, now, pro football.

How many times have you talked to him, Robert? Let me guess.

How many times have you seen him play in person? How many of his coaches and opposing coaches and NFL coaches have your talked to?

I talked to Tebow twice in college, and I've spent some quality time with him in Denver the past week. He has that same aura Elway had as a rookie.

When he comes into a room, you can tell he's a quarterback. There's a je ne sais quoi. But there's a special quality.

John totally was a natural athlete, and maybe he didn't have to work so hard early on (although he did more as he got older and wanted so badly to win a Super Bowl).

Tebow always has worked harder than everyone around him and made himself into a quality player.

When he was in high school, Tebow attended a "Friday Night Lights" weekend at the University of Florida. After a meeting of young players and coaches, the Gators' strength and conditioning coach took Tebow downstairs to the weight room for a cheeseburger.

As the two sat there having lunch, Tebow asked what the Florida record was for most leg lifts. Mickey Marotti, the coach, replied: "Oh, 18, I think, by some lineman." After he finished his fries, Tebow walked over to the weights, did 19 lifts, and left.

He has a body that punishes defensive linemen. He can run better than Elway did. He can pass in this offense, just as Brady does at New England (under McDaniels for three years), and Brady can't run a lick.

I will tell you who to compare Tebow to: Steve Young. Out of high school, nobody wanted Young as a quarterback. Recruiters thought he was a running back or a safety.

He went to BYU because he was a great-great-great grandson of Brigham Young, and he was playing behind Jim McMahon when the Cougars played Colorado in Boulder in 1981. McMahon lit up CU early, then got hurt. Steve came in and ran and passed the Buffs silly, finishing off a 41-20 BYU victory. I wrote a column about this amazing kid. He was strictly a QB at BYU after that game.

But the NFL didn't think much of him, and people thought the left-hander would have to play another position in the pros. So Young went off to the USFL (signing with the Los Angeles team owned by Denver cable mogul Bill Daniels) and was great.

The Tampa Bay Bucs signed him. After a couple of years with that lousy team, Young went off to the 49ers and sat behind Joe Montana. When Montana was hurt, and later when he was traded, all Young — who didn't have a strong arm, but could throw hard and could run harder — did was become the most accurate passer in NFL history and win a Super Bowl (with Mike Shanahan as his offensive coordinator).

Shanahan loves Tebow. (You can add your own line here.) Tebow is Steve Young, who was a leader, a competitor, a football player, a quarterback, an intelligent young man who commanded respect from the other players.

When Young retired, I went to San Francisco, and in his hotel room he told me that he still had that column I wrote about him in college. "You were the first one to really praise me as a QB."

You can say I'm name-dropping, and that's fine, but I've been around Young and Elway, and I see a lot of the same characteristics in Tebow. All he does is win.

That must not be enough for you, Robert. You would prefer an inside linebacker. The Broncos just signed a veteran inside linebacker, and they still have Mario Haggan on the team, and they will be fine there.

Football and sports are entertainment. What's more entertaining in the NFL than the drafting of Tim Tebow? It will give us something to follow for years, just as Elway's acquisition gave us something to wonder about, then enjoy, in the 1980s and 1990s.

Did you think JaMarcus Russell was going to be a great quarterback? A lot of people were wrong about him. The Raiders are giving up on him.

Kyle Orton is not the long-term solution here. We don't know, honestly, about Brady Quinn. The Broncos will use Tebow 10 to 12 plays a game his rookie season as a wildcat quarterback, a third-and-1 quarterback, a fourth-and-2 quarterback, a change of pace quarterback.

McDaniels will bust himself to make Tebow a better quarterback, and I know Tebow will bust everything he has to prove people wrong who are somewhere off in Atlanta.

Tebow is not that? You don't know. Maybe I don't know. But I do know you and I and everyone else reading this mailbag will pay attention to him, more than Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy or Rolando McClain, and there will be anti-Tebowers and pro-Timmys.

You'd rather take your chance with Brady Quinn and have a nose tackle. The Broncos have three nose tackles. How many do you want, and would you really care if they had drafted Dan Williams out of Tennessee? No.

It was worth the chance, because we're all going to have fun with this for years.

Besides, when I shook hands with Tebow the other day, I was stunned by the large size of his hands. He's not going to fumble.

Which poster was calling him Steve Young II for months now? Hmm..

slim
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM

Overtime?

TXBRONC
04-29-2010, 03:17 PM

Santa Claus? :lol:

Seriously, when I read Woody's response I remembered that some here had mentioned that Tebow reminds them of Young. I just didn't remember it was you. :beer:

T.K.O.
04-29-2010, 03:31 PM
man ....woody ripped that dude:laugh:
great read and i like the fact that mcD basically got the reciever he wanted and got tebow for moving down.
it's a win win !:salute:

Broncolingus
04-29-2010, 03:37 PM
man ....woody ripped that dude:laugh:
great read and i like the fact that mcD basically got the reciever he wanted and got tebow for moving down.
it's a win win !:salute:

He sure as shit did...I love it!

SOCALORADO.
04-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Santa Claus? :lol:

Seriously, when I read Woody's response I remembered that some here had mentioned that Tebow reminds them of Young. I just didn't remember it was you. :beer:

Cmon man, give me a lttle tiny, teeny bit of credit. I even put a damn photo of myself to remember it by! jeez!http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135726&highlight=steve+young

TXBRONC
04-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Cmon man, give me a lttle tiny, teeny bit of credit. I even put a damn photo of myself to remember it by! jeez!http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135726&highlight=steve+young

I was just given you a hard time. Honestly when I read Woody's article I did remembered that someone said that Tebow reminded them of Steve Young. I didn't realize it was you for sure until read reply.