Perrish Cox
CB, Oklahoma State

Height: 5-11 Weight: 195
40-yard dash: 4.51 10-yard dash: 1.65
20-yard shuttle: 60-yard shuttle:
Broad jump: 9-5 225-lb. bench: 12
3-cone drill: Vertical jump: 32
Wonderlic: 20-yard dash: 2.73

Athletic ability: Is a good athlete, enabling him to be a highly productive despite shaky technique. Shows quick footwork and excellent agility to plant, drive and close on passes in front of him. Shows loose and smooth hip movements, enabling him to turn and run with receivers despite high and upright backpedal. Shows the speed to run with receivers on deep routes and the burst to recover from a false step. Shows the ball skills, athleticism and body control to reach or cut in front of receivers to break up passes without committing a penalty. Accelerates to full speed quickly as a return man and makes sharp cuts; is strong enough to break tackles. Is a big-play return man. Grade: 7.5

Coverage skills: Has natural coverage skills to be in the right position to play the ball. From "off" and zone coverage, reads the QB and receiver well to maintain proper position. In man-to-man, reads the route well and stays on receivers' hips and then cuts under to break up or intercept the pass; receivers often have to go through him to get to the ball. Must improve backpedal technique; must learn to sink hips and backpedal in a more compact motion. Grade: 8.5

Run-pass recognition: Shows good instincts; is consistently in the right place at the right time. Gets his head around to play the ball even on "fade" routes. Reads quick receiver screens in a blink, and explodes upfield, avoids blockers and makes hard hits right after the catch. Grade: 8.5

Closing speed: Shows a good closing burst to break up passes. Can plant, drive and close quickly on passes in front of him, but could improve backpedal to become top-notch in this area. Closes quickly when chasing ballcarriers, consistently chasing down runners. Grade: 7.5

Ball skills: Should intercept a lot of passes in the NFL. Is aggressive but under control when going in front of receivers; rarely is called for a penalty. Is one of the few cornerbacks this decade we have evaluated to break up more passes than he allowed completions. Grade: 8.0

Run support: Shows the ability and willingness to come up quickly to make tackles. Will chase after ballcarriers across the field, too. Does not hesitate to try to tackle running backs, but will at times get a little out of control and miss a tackle. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Cox plays the cornerback position with the tough, aggressive and competitive attitude that is hard to find. Throw in his athleticism, instincts and play-making skills, and Cox has everything it takes to become a good pro. Cox is not likely to be drafted as highly as we have him rated, but we are confident that within a few seasons he will establish himself as a productive cornerback and dangerous kickoff returner.

titan
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Mike Mayock, NFL Network
137 -- Broncos -- CB Perrish Cox

His stock has been falling since he was suspended for the Cotton Bowl. He has first-round talent, and I gave him a third-round grade due to his off-field issues. Josh McDaniels feels like this is the time to take a chance on a very talented kid. He's much better in press coverage than he is in off-man. He brings special teams value to any team.

======

Looks like a good pick here. Darrant Williams II? Good cornerback from okie st with value in the return game. Doesn't look like the typical McD pick (character issues?) but I'm sure the team checked that out.

atwater27
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
He had 15 passes defended last season, most in the NCAA I believe.

broncofaninfla
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
I like this pick. A kick returner and depth at CB position.

Hoser
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
This guy is better than depth IF we can straighten him out.

His stock has been falling since he was suspended for the Cotton Bowl. He has first-round talent, and I gave him a third-round grade due to his off-field issues. Josh McDaniels feels like this is the time to take a chance on a very talented kid. He's much better in press coverage than he is in off-man. He brings special teams value to any team.

- Mayock

First round talent who has fallen for being late to some games. He's a risk, but I think we can straighten him out with Dawkins and Champ. I like the pick. He has the talent to start as a rookie.

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 12:03 PM
OMG smith must be a BUST because we took this kid.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

CoachChaz
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
A lot of lesser CB's went before this guy due to a minor incident. He gets his head on straight and he's a monster steal for us

Tebow4Ever
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
He had 15 passes defended last season, most in the NCAA I believe.

Alphonso Smith set the ACC record for most INT's..That didnt amount to much once he got here.No doubt, 15 passes defended last season is nice to read about. However,what does that correlate to in the NFL? If Smith couldnt crack into the starting lineup and stay there...Nor will this kid.

camdisco24
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
A lot of lesser CB's went before this guy due to a minor incident. He gets his head on straight and he's a monster steal for us

My thoughts exactly. With guys like B-Dawk on the roster, the problems he has can easily be straightened out. He's got the talent, and hopefully being a Pro now will bring him down the earth and get his act together. And like you said, his "problems" were very minor.

I really like the pick.

CoachChaz
04-24-2010, 12:21 PM
My thoughts exactly. With guys like B-Dawk on the roster, the problems he has can easily be straightened out. He's got the talent, and hopefully being a Pro now will bring him down the earth and get his act together. And like you said, his "problems" were very minor.

I really like the pick.

I think with Champ and Goody in front of them, Phonso and Cox can be very good CB's eventually

LTC Pain
04-24-2010, 12:36 PM
I think with Champ and Goody in front of them, Phonso and Cox can be very good CB's eventually

Exactly what I think. I'm not giving up on Smith just yet.

camdisco24
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM

His ability to move sideways and juke guys out is amazing. Plus he always plays the ball, the guy can swat and smack anything that comes his way. He will be a good CB, can't wait to see him play.

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Would be curious to what his character issues are. Bad decisions? No respect? I could deal with a guy that has made a couple bad decisions, but if he's someone who doesn't respect anybody (Justin Miller) he's not going to make it anywhere. This is a good oppurtunity, and it's up to him to make it work.

Superchop 7
04-24-2010, 12:57 PM
03/02/2010 - I know Oklahoma State's Perrish Cox is a highly touted cornerback, but he'd have to convince me to draft him after he was suspended at the Cotton Bowl for missing curfew - not once but twice in the same week. "The first time was Sunday night," he said. "Me and a few other guys on the team decided to go out [because] we didn't have practice the next day. We came in after curfew and got caught. We didn't get suspended but [our coach] gave us other punishments. We actually went in the next few days, talked to him, got punishments and he gave it all back. "But it happened again on New Year's Eve. I went out and met up with my girlfriend at the time. It was a bad choice. I couldn't make it back on time. It was a stupid mistake. I learned from it, and it won't happen again." OK, so at least the guy is honest. But when Cox talked about clubs questioning him, he used the word "harassed." Excuse me? This is a job interview. If you're going to invest millions in an employee you want him to be responsible - or at least someone who can tell time. Cox used the word "harassed" more than once, and, I'm sorry, that might knock me out of the box. "It's done," Cox said of the suspension. "You can't get it back. Just move on. I can't let anybody get in my pocket." - Clark Judge, CBSSports.com

02/14/2010 - PRO POTENTIAL: CB Perrish Cox - Lauded for his work at the Senior Bowl, Cox could emerge as a first-round pick after leading the nation in passes defended in 2009. Versatility as a dangerous return man helps boost his stock. His suspension from the Cotton Bowl for missing curfew is an incident NFL scouts also will factor into their evaluations.

01/27/2010 - Senior Bowl, Wednesday: Oklahoma State cornerback Perrish Cox made two interceptions Wednesday, one beating a receiver to the spot on a slant and the other coming over from his man to nab a floating pass from Cowboys teammate Zac Robinson. He was beat by a Joe Webb double-move earlier in practice, but recovered nicely to break up the play just outside the end zone. With many cornerbacks failing to impress this week, Cox may have helped himself. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/11/2010 - 2009 BOWL GAME FALLER: Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State: Cox could have made headlines with a strong performance against the combination of QB Jevan Snead to WR Shay Hodge, but instead hit the papers before the game after being sent home. He reportedly missed curfew twice during bowl week, displaying a lack of discipline NFL scouts were already wary of. His 6-0, 195-pound frame, sub 4.5 speed, and ball skills (19 pass defensed in 2009) are intriguing, but not elite - and it is hard for teams to draft a player in the first round who can not follow simple rules on when to return to the team hotel for lights-out. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

01/01/2010 - Oklahoma State University announced through an emailed statement Friday afternoon that senior defensive back and kick returner Perrish Cox will not be playing the Cowboys' bowl game Saturday against Ole Miss. Cox was suspended for violating team rules and in the release the team has no other comment on the matter. OSU takes on Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl January 2nd inside the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium. Cox has been OSU's best cover corner this season as well as been a big play threat in both the punt and kick return games. The Cowboys look for their tenth win of the season against the Rebels. The two teams met in the 2004 Cotton Bowl. - KSBI TV52

01/01/2010 - Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy says cornerback Perrish Cox will not play in the Cotton Bowl against Mississippi on Saturday. The coach says Cox violated team rules. The announcement came from the school Friday. Cox is one of the team's top defensive players and a second-team All-American. The 21st-ranked Cowboys play the Rebels in the first Cotton Bowl at Dallas Cowboys Stadium. - AP Sports

12/24/2009 - 2009 ASSOCIATED PRESS SECOND TEAM ALL-AMERICAN: Cornerback???Perrish Cox, senior, Oklahoma State, has been selected Second Team All-American for the 2009 college football season as voted on by The Associated Press. - AP Sports

12/08/2009 - "When I first came in I was young and had a lot to learn," Cox said. "I was getting in trouble a lot and not listening, not going to class, not doing my work. I was partying ??? everything. Anything you can name I was into. Just a lot of negative things that weren't putting a positive note on my life." Cox said he looks back on his journey with no regrets and with the knowledge he has learned from his mistakes and has become a person he and his family can be proud of. "It was especially for myself, and for my children and family back home," Cox said. "It was for them. What I'm doing now, no one has ever done in my family. I'm gonna be the first to do a lot. Graduate from a four year college. Actually go to a four year college and play football at the level I'm on." Cox said the personal changes he has made have turned his life around and made him the type of player he wants and expects to be. "If you look at all those negative things and flip it, that's what happened," Cox said. "I stopped partying a lot. I learned to come watch film and look at the playbook a lot." He also started concentrating more on school. "Going to class, getting my work done. Nobody has to call me and warn me. I'm never late. All of those things have made me a better person in life and a better football player." Cox might pride himself for the changes he has made off the field, but the average OSU fan only sees what he does on the field. - Corinne Meyerson, Daily O'Collegian

Superchop 7
04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
So lets see.....

You don't like Claussen but this guy is OK.

Gotta love Josh.

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Alphonso Smith set the ACC record for most INT's..That didnt amount to much once he got here.No doubt, 15 passes defended last season is nice to read about. However,what does that correlate to in the NFL? If Smith couldnt crack into the starting lineup and stay there...Nor will this kid. Rarely does a CB come in and blow a Bet out of the water.

For the most part they take a year or two to adjust to the speed and physicality of the WR in the NFL.

Sure there are a couple every once in a while but lots of those times they also seem to be the last piece of the puzzle for a Defense.

Let the kid (Smith) adjust and figure out where the latrine is before burying him.

honz
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
So lets see.....

Gotta love Josh.
Maybe he wasn't high on Clausen the player? Just a ******* thought for food.

BigDaddyBronco
04-24-2010, 01:46 PM
It's a 5th round pick. If he comes out and acts like an a-hole in training camp you cut his ass.

A 5th round pick with 1st or 2nd round talent. He sounds like a pain in the ass, but it's not like he is beating women or playing with guns. Give him a short rope and a chance.

dogfish
04-24-2010, 02:46 PM
So lets see.....

Gotta love Josh.

right, because a 1st/2nd round pick and a 5th entail exactly the same amount of risk. . .

oh, and nobody freakin' likes claussen. . .

this was a great pick in the 5th. . . low risk, high reward-- exactly what you want at this point in the draft. . . we have zero talented youth at the position and two old starters, one whose contract is up after the year. . . cox has the ability to possibly replace one of them on the cheap-- if it works out he's a steal, if it doesn't. . . well, 5th round picks fail every day, no big loss. . .

great pick. . .

JDL
04-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Rarely does a CB come in and blow a Bet out of the water.

For the most part they take a year or two to adjust to the speed and physicality of the WR in the NFL.

Sure there are a couple every once in a while but lots of those times they also seem to be the last piece of the puzzle for a Defense.

Let the kid (Smith) adjust and figure out where the latrine is before burying him.

Tony Carter says hi!!

You are acting like Smith was asked to come in and beat out a starter... he was asked to come in and be the DIME back... and he couldn't even handle that... first we had to go get Law mid-season and then had to bring Carter on board and he played very well. Nobody was asking Smith to be a stud... but he needed to handle his responsibilities on the field and all he could do is trail WRs by 5yds... he could literally not stay with anyone. That is the difference between someone like Ayers and someone like Smith. Ayers didn't make the plays we expect of him, BUT he was not hurting the team by being out there and blowing his responsibilities... Smith did and simply couldn't be trusted and was replaced by a freaking street rookie free agent... there is no sugar-coating the fact he failed miserably in his rookie season. I hope he rebounds, but there isn't really much reason to believe he will at this point.

The average NFL players' career is 3 seasons... we may have already seen 33% of his career... and if he doesn't make a DRAMATIC turnaround this year, he may not even get a 3rd season in Denver.

honz
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Tony Carter says hi!!

You are acting like Smith was asked to come in and beat out a starter... he was asked to come in and be the DIME back... and he couldn't even handle that... first we had to go get Law mid-season and then had to bring Carter on board and he played very well. Nobody was asking Smith to be a stud... but he needed to handle his responsibilities on the field and all he could do is trail WRs by 5yds... he could literally not stay with anyone. That is the difference between someone like Ayers and someone like Smith. Ayers didn't make the plays we expect of him, BUT he was not hurting the team by being out there and blowing his responsibilities... Smith did and simply couldn't be trusted and was replaced by a freaking street rookie free agent... there is no sugar-coating the fact he failed miserably in his rookie season. I hope he rebounds, but there isn't really much reason to believe he will at this point.

The average NFL players' career is 3 seasons... we may have already seen 33% of his career... and if he doesn't make a DRAMATIC turnaround this year, he may not even get a 3rd season in Denver.

I thought Carter came in after Phonz got injured, no?

NightTrainLayne
04-24-2010, 05:30 PM

QFT.

Cox getting suspended from the Cotton Bowl was a weird thing. Yes, he was out past curfew (not terribly late), but word made it's way to Coach Gundy, and he felt hand-cuffed by the situation, and couldn't let one of his all-stars get away with breaking the rules. Overall, Cox is a pretty good kid, and an amazing, ball-hawking defensive back.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Alphonso Smith set the ACC record for most INT's..That didnt amount to much once he got here.

It's been 1 season. Give the kid a chance.

OrangeHoof
04-24-2010, 09:18 PM
I think we'll look back in a few years and see Walton and Cox as the best two players we took in this draft.

Italianmobstr7
04-24-2010, 09:37 PM
QFT.

Cox getting suspended from the Cotton Bowl was a weird thing. Yes, he was out past curfew (not terribly late), but word made it's way to Coach Gundy, and he felt hand-cuffed by the situation, and couldn't let one of his all-stars get away with breaking the rules. Overall, Cox is a pretty good kid, and an amazing, ball-hawking defensive back.

I remember hearing that same thing. Cox was an absolute STEAL for us in the 5th. He's going to be loved by Broncos fans for a long time IMO. I think he was absolutely the best value pick we made in this draft. We got an outstanding player well after where he probably should have been drafted because of a (as McDaniels would call it) mistake. There's a difference between character concerns and mistakes. Cox made a mistake, and you can bet if he makes it again he'll be held ACCOUNTABLE.