PDA

View Full Version : FB Paul Smith among Broncos' cuts

Magnificent Seven
04-28-2008, 06:52 PM
FB Paul Smith among Broncos' cuts
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
Originally published 04:05 p.m., April 28, 2008
Updated 04:05 p.m., April 28, 2008

The Broncos released seven players Monday, including veteran fullback Paul Smith, to clear the way to sign their rookie free agent crop.

Smith, who got a $300,000 signing bonus when he signed with the team in March 2007, played in 14 games last season, largely as a special-teams player. He did not carry the ball and finished the season, after largely being double-teamed, with three special-teams tackles.

The Broncos also waived former University of Colorado center Mark Fenton, defensive tackle Michael Bozeman, veteran safety Steve Cargile, running back Steven Jackson, linebacker William Kershaw and running back Marquis Weeks.

The Broncos signed Cherry Creek High School graduate and former CU tackle Tyler Polumbus, Oklahoma kicker Garrett Hartley, Toledo punter Brett Kern, Houston running back Anthony Alridge, Texas-El Paso wide receiver Lorne Sam, South Dakota State guard Mitch Erickson and Kentucky linebacker Wesley Woodyard as undrafted rookie free agents.

Superchop 7
04-28-2008, 10:14 PM
It needs to say that they also signed Art Carmody.

Sorry, it's buggin me.

Ziggy
04-28-2008, 10:28 PM
The Paul Smith release doesn't bother me. They brought him in here to be our special teams ace and compete for FB, neither of which he succeeded at.

NameUsedBefore
04-28-2008, 10:30 PM
*Native American teardrop reflecting an American dumping site*

DenBronx
04-29-2008, 12:30 AM
actually i thought paul smith did an ok job on special teams last year. i just think with all of the new rookies we signed that they might have a better chance of making the squad if they play on special teams. sort of like terrel davis did.

eddie royal
jack williams
spencer larsen
josh barrett
wesley woodyard

these guys should all get a good look on special teams. i think this adds speed and much needed additude. these guys are all hungry and probablly going to try and knock your head off come sunday to make a statement. we might have a damn good squad for that.