PDA

View Full Version : Tony Scheffler's Replacement

Italianmobstr7
04-23-2010, 11:12 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/04/23/marquez-branson-to-replace-tony-scheffler/

Marquez Branson to replace Tony Scheffler
By MIKE KLIS

Josh McDaniels said Friday night the player most likely to replace Tony Scheffler at the Broncos’ “receiving” tight end position is Marquez Branson. Undrafted last year out of Central Arkansas, the 6-2, 241-pound Branson spent his entire rookie season on the Broncos’ practice squad.

“‘You didn’t see him last year but we have very high expectations and high hopes for him,” McDaniels said. “”He was Antonio Gates and all those guys last year on the (scout) team. Did a nice job for us in terms of showing our defense what we wanted him to do. Learned a lot.”

What do you guys think?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Who am I to disagree? It's not like the system necessarily calls for a huge receiving threat at TE anyways.

Northman
04-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Did Hernia ever get taken? I would still give up the 5th and 6th to move up and get him. We could use him, make it happen Joshy.

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
There are still some good tight ends on the board. No wonder no team wanted to give up a 4th for Scheff.

Italianmobstr7
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Did Hernia ever get taken? I would still give up the 5th and 6th to move up and get him. We could use him, make it happen Joshy.

He did not get taken today.

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2010, 12:08 AM
No. We have 2 TE's. I guess 3 with this Branson gu ywho I don't think will ever play. As far as people saying Quinn won't be anything, niether will any of the TE's left in the draft.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Quinn can block, and that's what the system calls for. Graham can block and that's what the system calls for. This other fellow being 241 I'd venture to guess he's the blocking kind not the catching kind of TE. This system doesn't really require any tony shefflers.

SoCalImport
04-24-2010, 05:43 AM
Quinn can block, and that's what the system calls for. Graham can block and that's what the system calls for. This other fellow being 241 I'd venture to guess he's the blocking kind not the catching kind of TE. This system doesn't really require any tony shefflers.

”He was Antonio Gates and all those guys last year on the (scout) team. Did a nice job for us in terms of showing our defense what we wanted him to do. Learned a lot.”

Doesn't exactly scream "blocking TE"..

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-24-2010, 05:51 AM
”He was Antonio Gates and all those guys last year on the (scout) team. Did a nice job for us in terms of showing our defense what we wanted him to do. Learned a lot.”

Doesn't exactly scream "blocking TE"..

It's been about ten years since Gates wasn't able to block with the best of them, you're way late.

keithbishop
04-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Drafting a TE would be fine if we had a flawless D. We are going to draft someone on D, right, Josh????

ursamajor
04-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Pitta-he does everything very well. Whoever drafts him will be happy

titan
04-24-2010, 08:38 AM
In the couple of camp practices I went to last year I thought Branson looked good. I'm not a scout but wondered at the time "how is this guy going to play with the tight ends on the roster?" With Scheffler gone he fits right in as a receiving tight end (quinn is more of a blocker - young replacement for graham eventually)

Maybe the quality of the players we didn't see much of last year (like Branson and Chris Baker at nose tackle) is a factor in the broncos draft. Two years now and still no defensive linemen taken in the draft by the broncos.

Lancane
04-24-2010, 09:11 AM

Yeah that's what the system calls for? Are you sure you understand the spread, maybe you should go tell Belichick what the spread requires, I mean he did just draft one of the better pass-catching tight ends in the draft? It's true that the spread depends a lot on tight ends who can block, but the spread still utilizes tight end's who can catch as well.

:coffee:

I wonder what the wonderlic score would be for some on this board? :)

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Yeah that's what the system calls for? Are you sure you understand the spread, maybe you should go tell Belichick what the spread requires, I mean he did just draft one of the better pass-catching tight ends in the draft? It's true that the spread depends a lot on tight ends who can block, but the spread still utilizes tight end's who can catch as well.

I wonder what the wonderlic score would be for some on this board? :)

Well I'd be willing to take it with you any time and post the results side by side on this here forum.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-24-2010, 09:27 AM
...We can take it right now online.

Lancane
04-24-2010, 09:32 AM
...We can take it right now online.

I've taken the wonderlic before, why don't you take it...so you can tell people your supposedly superior to Tebow and blah, blah, blah and get your ass laughed off the board because you'll be doing what you have been doing since we drafted him...whinning.

Nomad
04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
There are still some good tight ends on the board. No wonder no team wanted to give up a 4th for Scheff.

True dat! Hernandez and Pitta are solid TE!!

Is the wonderlic the equivalent to the AVSAB!!

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
I've taken the wonderlic before, why don't you take it...so you can tell people your supposedly superior to Tebow and blah, blah, blah and get your ass laughed off the board because you'll be doing what you have been doing since we drafted him...whinning.

I've repeated over and over that I'm on the tebow bandwagon, I don't know what the **** you're talking about as I never once mentioned tebow's low score being a bad thing, and only said I don't care if he's intelligent or not as he's not in there to think, he's in there to play ball. Either you're just looking for an e-fight or you're really that dumb or haven't even read my posts.

HORSEPOWER 56
04-24-2010, 10:39 AM
TE isn't as big a deal now that we've brought in Decker. If he can stay healthy, he's going to be our new "safety valve", IMO. The guy just catches everything you throw at him.

I think he fills the "receiving TE" role.

BTW, both Hernandez and Pitta are off the board, now. Back to back. Hernandez went to NE ... yeah the same team that took Gronkowski in the second round. 2 TEs for a team that couldn't rush the passer last year and who's "scheme" doesn't favor the TE? I know he lost Watson but 2 TEs? Yep, Bellichick is killing it this year... :rolleyes:

arapaho2
04-24-2010, 11:19 AM
It's been about ten years since Gates wasn't able to block with the best of them, you're way late.

do you even watch football...gates is one of the worst blocking tes in the game..not his strong point and neither was it tonys