PDA

View Full Version : JD Walton

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 09:42 PM
This is my favorite pick of this draft. Dog and I have been promoting this guy forever. He's a legit 305, he's nasty, and he can flat out drive people off the ball. The middle of our Oline just went from small and soft to mean and nasty folks. Where's the love?

ikillz0mbies
04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Love this pick as well. Broncos beefed up and toughened up their line with this pick. He is the 2nd best center in this draft and can start right away. He is also a mauler!!!

SBboundBRONCOS
04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
its right here

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Here's a collections of thoughts on Baylor Center J.D. Walton I found today. Walton is participating in the Senior Bowl this week. This is a GREAT opportunity for him to show what he can do in front of NFL scouts. I'd say he's having a pretty good week so far.

From Tony Pauline of TFYdraft.com

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/26/seniorbowl.tuesday/

Walton really stepped up his play on Tuesday after a slow start on Monday. He blocked with great fundamentals and controlled opponents at the line of scrimmage besides displaying the ability to effectively block on the move. The top spot at center from the senior class is up for grabs, and Walton is stating his case. From Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/from-the-senior-bowl-part-ii.html A Big 12 matchup was revisited when Baylor center J.D. Walton took on Texas defensive tackle Lamarr Houston in a blocking drill. Walton won, decisively. After being blocked by Walton, Houston jumped offsides twice before being beaten again. From Wes Bunting of nationalfootballpost.com http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ten-impressions-from-Day-2-South-practice.html

Baylor center J.D. Walton showed well for himself, quickly getting his hands up out of his stance, anchoring at the point and sticking to blocks through contact. He looked comfortable in pass protection throughout the entire session and, paired with his ability to run block in space, looks like another starting-caliber center prospect.
From newerascouting.com http://www.newerascouting.com/01/2010-senior-bowl-day-two-south-report/ JD Walton (Baylor) is a hustler that gets the most out of himself. He is very active and sticks with his blocks exceptionally well. He stuck with the quickness and handled the power that the defensive line had to offer.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
This was the only pick in the draft that I wanted..... good pick

underrated29
Mclovin Baby...

Josh MF Mclovin ftw.

Tebow4Ever
Don't know anything about him,was this the center we drafted? Think he's starter material?

CoachChaz
He's one nasty dude and he's been fighting guys like McCoy and Suh for the last few years. He'll be an anchor for a long time

EMB6903
04-23-2010, 09:49 PM
^^and a starter right away.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 10:00 PM
And there are the 2 OLinemen I asked for today. YAY!

dogfish
04-23-2010, 10:02 PM
yep. . . our best pick, IMO. . . need meets value, he has the grinder mentality and size we want, and he should bring some attitude in the trenches. . . he could easily step in, start and play at a high level from day one, and potentially anchor our line for the next twelve years or so. . .

underrated29
04-23-2010, 10:30 PM
yep. . . our best pick, IMO. . . need meets value, he has the grinder mentality and size we want, and he should bring some attitude in the trenches. . . he could easily step in, start and play at a high level from day one, and potentially anchor our line for the next twelve years or so. . .

You also neglected to mention the ability to make the calls at the line, which is just as important as anything else...... and just be an overall stud....But I know you already knew that.

BroncoBJ
04-23-2010, 10:59 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bwGi0xSsPFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bwGi0xSsPFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Cool vid of him interviewing fans and stuff with a fellow teammate. :salute:

Ravage!!!
04-23-2010, 11:42 PM
is that Eddie Murphy in the middle?

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Combine Spotlight: J.D. Walton
Josh Looney

Posted Feb 25, 2010

a a NFL Combine interview with Baylor center J.D. Walton

There is one thing that Baylor C J.D. Walton wants NFL scouts to do. He wants them to put the Baylor/Nebraska game tape into the DVD player and hit play.

“That’s the game that I’m telling everybody to look at,” Walton said. “I feel confident in what I did.”

Walton knows that Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh is viewed by many as the top defensive player in this year’s draft. With Suh potentially going number one overall this April, Walton thinks that his performance vs. the Huskers’ front-line stud speaks for itself.

Walton is widely-regarded as the top center prospect in the draft this year and he’s been spending his week leading up to the Combine working out on his own in Atlanta, Georgia.

The Baylor alum actually began his career at Arizona State before transferring to his home state of Texas due to personal reasons which led to home sickness. His decision to transfer caught the interest of many media members and has undoubtedly been a topic of discussion for NFL talent evaluators.

“I just wanted to get back close to home,” Walton explained. “I’m a Texans boy born and raised. It was my first time away from home.

“Eighteen years old and the first time away from home,” Walton continued. “I’ve been living Atlanta by myself for two months and haven’t had a problem. I haven’t had to leave. If I knew the things that I would have known now, then I would have graduated from Arizona State.”

Centers historically aren’t selected high in the draft, regardless of if they’re perceived to be the best player available at that position. For that reason, Walton’s goal is to come to Indianapolis and improve his draft stock. He knows that the potential to also play guard would make him appeal to NFL teams even more than he already does.

“I feel like I’m a true center, but I have the ability to play guard,” Walton said. “A bunch of teams want to know if I can play guard and yes sir, I can.

“I’m going to have to play both (center and guard),” Walton continued. “There are seven guys who (dress) and I’m going to have to be flexible and able to play multiple positions.”

Although their on-field performance as a team has left a bit to be desired, Baylor has churned out top talent on the offensive line each of the past two years. Last year, Walton’s teammate Jason Smith was selected #2 overall by the St. Louis Rams.

“He told to just go with the flow and do what everybody says,” Walton said of Smith’s Combine advice. “Follow the pack, because right now we’re just like a herd and we’re all rolling together. He’s just said to have fun with it and take it as it comes.”

Walton started every game of his career at Baylor and was a 2009 All-American as well as a Dave Rimington Trophy finalist. He’s currently anticipated to be selected somewhere in the third or fourth by many scouting services.

In last year’s draft, the first center off the board was Alex Mack from California. He was selected by Cleveland in the first round with the 21st overall pick. Eric Woods out of Louisville was another center selected in the first round of the 2009 draft at pick number 28. Drafting centers that high, however, is not the norm.

In six of the last 10 drafts, no center has been drafted in the first round. In fact, the only position to have fewer players drafted over the past 10 seasons is the fullback position.

Walton is hoping to join both Mack and Woods as an exception to the rule.

“I’m confident in what I can do,” Walton remarked. “The quicker that somebody can get me on the team, the quicker that I can help them out.”

silkamilkamonico
04-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm just curious, why was his rating only like a 5.3. Pouncey was like an 8.6. What are his weaknesses?

Broncolingus
04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm all for this...

I'd like to give the Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, and the like a taste of their own medicine for a change...

Smash-mouth, physical, straight in-your-face football in the trenches...

hamrob
04-24-2010, 12:07 AM
Tom Nalen is one of my All-time Broncos players!

I think this guy will be added to my list.

"STUD"

Italianmobstr7
04-24-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm just curious, why was his rating only like a 5.3. Pouncey was like an 8.6. What are his weaknesses?

J.D. Walton
Height: 6-2⅝ | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:
Good size and bulk --- Tough and physical --- Finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor and has a killer instinct --- Excellent leadership qualities --- Gets a big push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack --- Mobile with decent range --- Gets to second level --- Can hit a moving target --- Smart with great awareness --- Competitive --- Motor runs non-stop --- Hard worker --- Durable --- Lots of quality experience.

Weaknesses:
Limited athletically --- Not very quick or agile --- Feet aren't nimble and doesn't slide smoothly --- Is not overly powerful --- Won't always jolt defenders with a violent initial punch --- Can be almost too aggressive at times --- Frame might be maxed out --- May not have a lot of upside.

Notes:
"J.D." is short for Justin Daniel --- Was a three-year starter for the Bears and never missed a game --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors from the Associated Press in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2009 --- Began his college career at Arizona State, where he redshirted in 2005 --- Sat out the 2006 season as a transfer --- Made regular appearances on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for his performance in the classroom --- Doesn't possess eye-popping physical tools but makes up for it with top-notch intangibles and by doing all the little things --- Good football player and will challenge for a starting job.

Nomad
04-24-2010, 05:15 AM
And there are the 2 OLinemen I asked for today. YAY!

I wanted oline yesterday and McD did just that. I hope Beadles and Walton can help anchor this line along with Clady and Harris for years to come!

Elevation inc
04-24-2010, 10:14 AM
This is my favorite pick of this draft. Dog and I have been promoting this guy forever. He's a legit 305, he's nasty, and he can flat out drive people off the ball. The middle of our Oline just went from small and soft to mean and nasty folks. Where's the love?

why you gotta leave me out.....;)

lol im just thankful it wasnt pouncey at 11......and walton was suppose to go in rd 2 so getting him in rd 3 was a steal.....thats 1 positive for MCD that and erik decker as well.....

Elevation inc
04-24-2010, 10:15 AM
J.D. Walton
Height: 6-2⅝ | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:
Good size and bulk --- Tough and physical --- Finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor and has a killer instinct --- Excellent leadership qualities --- Gets a big push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack --- Mobile with decent range --- Gets to second level --- Can hit a moving target --- Smart with great awareness --- Competitive --- Motor runs non-stop --- Hard worker --- Durable --- Lots of quality experience.

Weaknesses:
Limited athletically --- Not very quick or agile --- Feet aren't nimble and doesn't slide smoothly --- Is not overly powerful --- Won't always jolt defenders with a violent initial punch --- Can be almost too aggressive at times --- Frame might be maxed out --- May not have a lot of upside.

Notes:
"J.D." is short for Justin Daniel --- Was a three-year starter for the Bears and never missed a game --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors from the Associated Press in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2009 --- Began his college career at Arizona State, where he redshirted in 2005 --- Sat out the 2006 season as a transfer --- Made regular appearances on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for his performance in the classroom --- Doesn't possess eye-popping physical tools but makes up for it with top-notch intangibles and by doing all the little things --- Good football player and will challenge for a starting job.

dude was very good against Mccoy, Suh, Houston abd many otehr Dt's the past couple years...enough said.....i know pouncey never had to face a suh or mccoy type player.....

dogfish
04-24-2010, 03:59 PM
dude was very good against Mccoy, Suh, Houston abd many otehr Dt's the past couple years...enough said.....i know pouncey never had to face a suh or mccoy type player.....

in all fairness, he did play pretty well against terrence cody. . .

doesn't change the fact that walton in the 3rd is a MUCH better value than pouncey at 18, nevermind 11. . . walton doesn't project as well to guard, and may not have the same upside because he isn't the same type of athlete, but he's great for what we want to do. . .

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Weaknesses:

Sounds like a guy that would be terribel in a system like Shanahan's, but very solid in a system like McDaniels.

I'm sold.