PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker, WR Minnesota

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Eric Decker
WR, Minnesota
War Room analysis
Strengths: Has excellent size and strength. Shows great hands to make tough catches all over the field and in traffic. Is intelligent. Finds soft spots in zones. Adjusts well to catch off-target passes. Never stops hustling in routes or as a blocker on the edge. Is outstanding in red-zone situations. It tough.

Weaknesses: Is a possession receiver who lacks the speed to stretch the field. Rarely makes would-be tacklers miss or gain yardage after the catch. Struggles to escape jams. Must improve route-running, making crisper cuts. Is a durability risk after Nov. 4 foot surgery to repair ligaments.

Bottom line: Decker's draft status is in flux after his foot surgery, the type of injury that can cause his draft value to plummet unless he's close to 100 percent before the draft. He also was a two-sport star in college and could choose baseball over football. If he sticks with football, he could really blossom by giving the sport his full attention. He has the size and skills to have a fine career as a starter who makes his biggest impact on third down and in the red zone. He is a third-round prospect based on film study, but he will fall to the later rounds if his foot hasn't healed.

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Once again, a player geared to what WE want to do.

I like it.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-23-2010, 08:48 PM
So he's slow and can't make tacklers miss, but is guaranteed to catch in traffic. Yet another solvent to our short yardage woes, this is a good thing.

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 08:51 PM
So he's slow and can't make tacklers miss, but is guaranteed to catch in traffic. Yet another solvent to our short yardage woes, this is a good thing.

Height: 6-3 Weight: 217

40-yard dash: 4.54

225-lb. bench: 15

4.54 is not so slow.......:D

Nor is he small....heh heh

Skinny
04-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Nice stat on Decker (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Draft-Profile-WR-Deckers-numbers-outweigh-injury/a6b15dc0-eee7-436a-a232-c857e828bb8a)...

Decker has been the target of 354 passes in his career at Minnesota. He has only dropped three in 45 games, an eye-popping 0.085 percent of all the looks his way.

Zweems56
04-23-2010, 08:52 PM

LOL! Not so slow for a linebacker! :lol:

JONtheBRONCO
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Eric Decker - wonderlic 43
Zane Beadles - wonderlic 36
D. Thomas - wonderlic 34
Tebow....22 Theme?

CrazyHorse
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Eric Decker - wonderlic 43
Zane Beadles - wonderlic 36
D. Thomas - wonderlic 34
Tebow....22 Theme?

We got some smart players. 22 is about average. Then again some great QB had terrible scores.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-23-2010, 09:03 PM

I never said he was small and I don't need you to tell me how tall he is or how much he weighs. wtf are you talking about? I like this pick.

BigDaddyBronco
04-23-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqF5cHt9B2A

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqF5cHt9B2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqF5cHt9B2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

look at some of these catches...

honz
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
I saw Decker play one game in college. I remember thinking "wow, this guy is a beast". Can't say I'm displeased with the pick.

Watchthemiddle
04-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Eddie Mac

HORSEPOWER 56
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
I want to see this dude wear #87!

ikillz0mbies
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
I seriously LOVE this pick. Decker has great size at 6'3'' 217 lbs. He isn't slow as reports say. He's got good speed and great hands. I'm having a man gush right now.

Spiritguy
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
A bit of info on Decker

A two-sport standout, Decker has been compared by professional scouts to former NFL greats Don Maynard of the Jets and Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts for his outstanding hands, route-running ability and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd. He's also an excellent blocker with a team-first attitude.

Few receivers boast the Velcro-like hands Decker possesses. Minnesota quarterbacks have targeted him for 354 passes during his career and he dropped just three in 45 games (0.085%). But, it is his ability to get to the simply impossible throws and what he does once he gets the ball in his hands that separate him from the rest of the pack.

The school's first athlete to catch more than 200 passes in a career (227), his receptions rank sixth in Big Ten Conference history. He produced first downs on 70.48% of his receptions (160-of-227), with 22.03% of those grabs converting third-down plays (50). When the Gophers need to move the chains, they know they can always rely upon their star player, as 55.51% of his catches were good for at least 10 yards (126), including 25.99% of his receptions gaining 20 or more yards (59).

Decker was the first player in school history to gain over 3,000 yards receiving, his total of 3,119 yards rank eighth in Big Ten Conference history, as he is just the 11th league performer to amass over 3,000 yards. That yardage total accounted for 42.77% of the team's total (7,292) since Decker moved into the starting lineup for the Gophers.

Blessed with great athletic ability, Decker is the type of receiver that can punish a defender, rather than receive punishment. He astounds coaches and teammates from the way he instantly bounces back from bone-jarring hits, evident by his recent performance early in the 2009 California game.

Decker made a sensational touchdown catch, only to take a shot from an opponent who led with his helmet, resulting in Decker getting stitches under his chin. He refused to leave the game. Prior to the injury, he had one catch for four yards. By the end of the game, his totals were eight receptions for 119 yards and two scores.

Decker caught at least one pass in 34 consecutive games (tied Tutu Atwell for second on the school record chart), produced 10 100-yard receiving performances, including four in his first five 2009 contests and caught at least 10 passes in four games.
Decker is the school's all-time leading receiver with 227 grabs, but also holds the top two spots on their season-record list, hauling in 67 passes as a sophomore, only to break that mark with 84 receptions in 2008. His thirteen catches vs. Indiana in 2008 set the school game-record and his twelve grabs vs. Florida Atlantic that year rank third. He is the only player in school annals to have caught more than ten passes in a game four times in a career. His twelve 100-yard receiving games also established a Gophers record.

Decker's 3,119 yards receiving placed him first on the Gophers' career-record list. He is one of only four Minnesota players to gain over 1,000 yards in a season, as his 1,074 yards in 2008 is the second-highest total in school history. His 180 yards vs. Indiana in 2008 rank third on the team's game-record chart, with his 183 yards in the 2009 season opener vs. Syracuse ranking seventh on that list.

Those 183 yards, coupled with his 149 yards vs. Kansas in the 2008 Insight Bowl gave Decker a consecutive game total of 332 yards. The only player to gain more yardage in back-to-back games for the Gophers was Ron Johnson's 340 total (163 at Ohio State and 177 at Indiana in 2000).
If those numbers were not enough to convince professional teams of his receiving pedigree, Decker has also contributed in other ways to the recent success of the team. He is a punishing ballcarrier, having averaged 7.6 yards with one touchdown (also set up five other scoring drives) on just 15 rushing attempts for 114 yards. He has filled in as an emergency punt returner, averaging 7.0 yards in that capacity.
link (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/584290?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable 87)

CoachChaz
04-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Would have preferred Taylor Price...who NE took a few spots later. He'll be the better receiver

SR
04-23-2010, 09:57 PM
We drafted a white receiver?! ;)

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-23-2010, 10:04 PM

He's probably mixed.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I've seen him a few times while watching Big10 network and he stood out. I came away very impressed. He's actually one of my sleepers for my upcoming fantasy rookie draft...and that was before Denver took him. Overall, I'm quite happy.

CoachChaz
04-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Now the goal is to get him to actually play a full season without getting hurt

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Now the goal is to get him to actually play a full season without getting hurt

Now he'll have players around him. At Minny, he was the ONLY option. Took a lot of hits.

Italianmobstr7
04-23-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm sold. This was a great pick. Check out this highlight video. Dude is a beast. Reminds me a lot of Eddie Mac the way he'll catch in traffic and take a hit. He and Thomas coupled with Royal and Gaffney are going to give people fits.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cx9WWaKQk5s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cx9WWaKQk5s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>>

SM19
04-24-2010, 01:15 AM
I think this was our best pick yet. Decker was a guy I felt was underrated coming into the draft.

Tebow4Ever
04-24-2010, 01:23 AM
he looks real good. Seems to have very soft hands and the guy is fearless. I think he would be a great slot for us to start..Thomas,Royal, and Decker...Jeez, As was said. This will definately cause some fits out there. GREAT PICK

CrazyHorse
04-24-2010, 03:58 PM

That'd be cool. McCaffrey's number plus he went 87th overall. He definitely won't be wearing his college number, that's for sure.

Scarface
04-24-2010, 05:11 PM

That would be unfair to put those kind of expectations on the kid. LOL!

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Nice stat on Decker (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3/Draft-Profile-WR-Deckers-numbers-outweigh-injury/a6b15dc0-eee7-436a-a232-c857e828bb8a)...

Draft Profile: WR Decker's numbers outweigh injury
Kelsey Boudin, Contributing Correspondent
Posted Apr 16, 2010
AA
Each Monday, Wednesday and Friday leading up to the NFL Draft April 22nd, Buffalobills.com will profile one of the more highly touted prospects at each position in the 2010 draft class. A position group video preview will accompany each of these feature stories in the media lounge featuring the top five prospects at each position. We continue our pre-draft feature series with University of Minnesota wide receiver Eric Decker:

Eric Decker has had more than a fair opportunity to become a professional athlete. In fact, the Minnesota wide receiver has been given the chance – and the ability – in more than one sport.

The 6-3, 217-pound receiver has already been drafted … twice. In 2008 and ’09, he was selected as a centerfielder by the Milwaukee Brewers and Minnesota Twins. Instead of gracing the baseball diamond however, he focused on the gridiron his last two years at U of M.

According to the wideout, the decision wasn’t a difficult one.

“I wake up and I love football,” Decker told Buffalobills.com. “I’m fortunate to say that when I wake up I love what I do, and that’s play football, preparing for football. I’ll get my opportunity this fall and I’m excited about it.”

His work on the football field has made him one of the top wide receivers in the nation, on top of one of the best pass catchers in Minnesota history. However, a Lisfranc foot injury, a commonly misdiagnosed condition, according to several online medical journals, has sidelined Decker until at least June.

After having surgery to remove the plate and screws in his foot March 15, he will be fully recovered and ready for action before NFL training camps roll around.

That being said, Decker missed the NFL Combine in February. And he hasn’t been able to work out in any concrete capacity for any pro franchise. That doesn’t stop him from being ranked ninth out of 318 available wide receivers in this year’s draft.

The two-sport standout’s numbers in college speak for themselves.

Decker has been the target of 354 passes in his career at Minnesota. He has only dropped three in 45 games, an eye-popping 0.085 percent of all the looks his way.

The wideout is also quite skilled at moving the chains as 160 of his 227 career receptions (70.48 percent) were pulled in for first downs. Decker amassed 3,000 yards receiving, totaling 3,119 for the best mark in Gophers’ history and the eighth-best in Big Ten Conference history.

The stellar numbers do not stop there.

Decker pulled in at least one reception in 34 consecutive games en route to collecting ten 100-yard receiving performances. His dynamic offensive capabilities reflect a combination of both a possession receiver and a player with the ability to stretch the field.

In short, he is a highly qualified receiver who suffered an injury, which has kept him out of commission since November, with very little effect on his draft status.

While he’s been injured Decker has used the down time to work on other aspects of his physical game.

“I’ve been working on my upper-body strength,” he said. “Getting out of the boot I can do a lot more movement stuff on my feet, more weight-bearing things.”

A lot of Decker’s success at the collegiate level has come from scouting opposing defenses. He has countless hours of studying film to thank for that.

“I enjoy (film study) a lot,” Decker said. “I think over the last couple years I’ve had a great relationship with my quarterback. So I went into a lot of meetings with him and our offensive coordinator. I got to understand the philosophy of our offense and understand how to read coverages and how to make adjustments when you see certain things. I really enjoy it because it gives you an advantage.”

Decker also has his experience playing Division I baseball to thank for his mental toughness on the football field. And that’s not to mention the fact that a lot the speed necessary in baseball easily carries over to the football field.

“I think a lot of it transitions over,” he said. “The biggest thing for me was the mental aspect. Baseball being kind of that roller coaster, when you fail seven out of 10 times, you’re still a Hall of Famer.

“A lot of it is understanding how to control your emotions and being consistent with that. And also I think the physical attributes, the hand-eye coordination at the plate, centerfield, tracking the ball over the shoulder and tracking the ball in the gaps.”

Decker projects to be selected in the third round, with the second round being the highest NFL scouts anticipate he could be drafted. His lightning-quick speed combined with a fairly hefty size and “sticky” hands make him a force to be reckoned with at the receiver position.

Although he did not participate at the Combine, he has been clocked at 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Placing those figures amongst others at his position in that drill, Decker would rank in the middle of the pack.

Even still, his offseason work with Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald could prove beneficial as Decker moves on the next phase of his career.

“He’s a Minnesota boy. I got an opportunity to work out with him this past summer,” Decker said. “We’re comparable in size. He’s one of those guys that’s a workout freak. He’s going to work harder than anybody. And he’s an elite receiver.

“He gets his production on the field, and off the field he’s a class act. On and off the field he acts like a professional and that’s the way I want to be when I get to the next level.”

Lonestar
04-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Eddie Mac

That was what I was thinking while watching the <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqF5cHt9B2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CqF5cHt9B2A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Only more Buff. He will not be wearing QB shoulder pads to lighten his running weight.

broncophan
04-24-2010, 06:06 PM

Stokeley demanded that McD draft another white receiver....

HORSEPOWER 56
04-24-2010, 06:46 PM

Equal opportunity? Affirmative action? ;)

UnderArmour
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM

We call that drafting for character. :coffee:

I'm joking. I'm not a racist.

sneakers
04-24-2010, 11:54 PM
He sounds white.....

muse
04-25-2010, 06:20 AM
That'd be cool. McCaffrey's number plus he went 87th overall. He definitely won't be wearing his college number, that's for sure.

Pretty much every white receiver gets compared to Eddie Mac, but the comparison here is actually warranted for a change :lol:

Buff
04-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Good call. From Decker's twitter account:

Just picked my Jersey # today... 87! Ed McCaffrey wore the number loud and proud and I feel the obligation to do the same! Also being the 87th pick this year, it was meant to be!! Hope to see some of you all get that Broncos 87 jersey!

http://twitter.com/E_Decker

Lonestar
04-27-2010, 11:28 PM
This is huge sounds like another Eddie Mac. but much faster. and bigger/bulkeier

TXBRONC
04-27-2010, 11:37 PM
He sounds white.....

Do you mean Decker? Because if you do you're mistake he's an Aborigine. (kidding) :D

WARHORSE
04-28-2010, 02:34 AM
I never said he was small and I don't need you to tell me how tall he is or how much he weighs. wtf are you talking about? I like this pick.

What the hell are you moaning about?

You said he was slow, and I didnt say you said he was small did I?

Its called general information.

Get yer panties out of your rear, and make sure you wash em.

BigBroncLove
04-28-2010, 04:41 AM
Ahhh... nice to see a few threads not about Tebow.

I like Decker quite a bit. My short list coming into the draft was Benn, Tate, Price, Decker. Deckers an excellent prospect with solid route running, great hands, he's physical, better than average run blocking WR, and a good motor to boot. I think he'll make a good transition to the NFL.

I really like that he translates best into the slot position and IMO he has one of the better WR's to help him along at that position in Brandon Stokley. Royal sounds to be gearing up to get looks all over the field in 2010 and so may be another person that can help him adjust properly. I think McDaniels drafted him as his Wes Welker for this offense and at first glance it looks like a great fit. A long ways to go still but I'm really happy to see him in blue and orange.

GGMoogly
04-28-2010, 05:58 AM
He sounds white.....

He sounds orange and blue to me :salute:

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Would have preferred Taylor Price...who NE took a few spots later. He'll be the better receiver

Really didint post after the 1st day of the draft. Just all the hype.
Wanted to just enjoy the draft with buddies and did. For me and my friends its 1 of the funnest times of the year. All the smack, and all the discussion.
So we take Decker, and the 1st thing that pops in my head is,
"Coachchaz is gonna be pissed! Price is still on the board!" HA!

I think Decker could be a really good reciever though.
I like his abilities down in the red zone.

SOCALORADO.
04-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Good call. From Decker's twitter account:

http://twitter.com/E_Decker

I love this!

WARHORSE
04-29-2010, 10:54 PM
Decker got Eddie Macs number.

Do it loud son. Do it proud.

BroncoWave
04-29-2010, 11:01 PM
Decker got Eddie Macs number.

Do it loud son. Do it proud.

Also the number of the famous David "Circus" Kircus! :lol:

CoachChaz
04-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Guy could never finish a full college season...now he cant participate in rookie camp and prolly not OTA's. $10 says he's injured again before the end of next season