PDA

View Full Version : Beadles

rcsodak
04-23-2010, 06:14 PM
Overview

Regarded as one of the elite offensive tackles in college football, most professional talent evaluators view Beadles as the ideal guard at the next level. The four-year starter does have past experience at that position, moving from guard to tackle during his sophomore season. The consensus feels that he is the school's best offensive lineman since the Jordan Gross era (1999-2002).

Beadles has been a model of consistency since arriving on Utah's campus. A tough athlete with a high threshold for pain, he's played with injuries that would sideline most (concussion, knee sprain, leg laceration), reluctantly sitting out just one game during his career. He went on to start 50-of-51 contests for the Utes, producing 313 knockdowns/key blocks while coming up with key hits on 45 touchdown drives.

Beadles comes from a sports-oriented extended family. His father, Brad Beadles, played baseball at Hutchinson Junior College. His stepmother, Jill, started at point guard for Concordia Lutheran, which qualified for the NAIA Final Four in 1993-94. His mother, Jamie Legerski, played basketball for Wyoming. His stepfather, Joe Legerski, is the women's basketball coach at Wyoming and a former Utah assistant.

At Hillcrest High School, Beadles earned first-team All-State and All-Region honors as a two-way lineman. The team captain and three-year starter did not miss a game during his high school career. He was the recipient of his team's "Top Lineman" Award as a senior after recording 93 tackles, six sacks and an interception for the defense and not allowing a sack as an offensive tackle. He received a two-star prospect rating from both Rivals.com and Scout.com.

Beadles also lettered three times in baseball and twice in basketball. He earned honorable mention All-State and first-team All-Region honors on the baseball diamond in 2005 and the team captain was a second-team All-Region player in 2004. A member of the National Honor Society, he ranked 37th out of a class of 542, graduating with a 3.92 grade point average.

Beadles enrolled at the University of Utah in 2005, spending the season on the scout team while red-shirting. The following season, he emerged from fall camp as the team's starting left guard, coming off the bench vs. Brigham Young after missing most of the week's practices and the previous week's game vs. Air Force after suffering a concussion vs. the Falcons. He participated in 696 plays, recording 39 knockdowns/key blocks as the Utes averaged 368.38 yards per game.

Beadles switched to left tackle in 2007, earning All-Mountain West Conference second-team and Academic All-MWC first-team honors. He repeated as a member of the Utah Athletic Director's Honor Roll, but also got high marks on the football field, where he collected 76 knockdowns/key blocks, along with ten touchdown-resulting blocks. Behind his blocking, Utah averaged 369.62 yards per game in total offense.

Beadles was named the Utes' Top Offensive Lineman, adding All-MWC first-team honors in 2008. He was selected for ESPN's Academic All-District VIII team and again earned league and school academic honors. He started 12 games at left tackle, missing the Nevada-Las Vegas clash after suffering a knee sprain vs. Michigan. He finished with 109 knockdowns/key blocks, getting out in front on 13 touchdown-resulting blocks. Behind his blocking, Utah generated 400.92 yards per game and led the MWC while ranking 15th nationally in scoring (36.92 points per game).

The Lombardi Award candidate was named All-American second-team by Walter Camp and again garnered All-MWC first-team recognition as a senior. He manned the left tackle position, producing 89 knockdowns/key blocks while recording 15 touchdown-resulting blocks. The young offense struggled to match their 2008 production, but the Utes still averaged 389.54 yards per game.
Analysis

Pass blocking: Looks like a guard on the edge, lacking the height and athletic build expected of most elite left tackle prospects. Rarely gets beat by defensive ends on outside rushes, however, because he has a quick set, solid footwork and smooth lateral movement. Inconsistent with his punch, but will reset his hands inside and play with a wide base to anchor after the initial contact. Adeptly picks up twists and safety blitzes. Will get knocked back by a strong punch, but usually recovers to anchor. Inconsistent on cut blocks for quick throws. Plays a little nasty, and doesn't let his man up once on the ground. Inexperienced pass protecting from a three-point stance.

Run blocking: Didn't line up with his hand on the ground and fire off the ball very often in Utah's spread offense. More of a positional run blocker, moving his feet to put himself between the defender and the ball. Punches his man in the numbers when attempting to drive, but doesn't move his feet to sustain the block. Good on combo blocks, pounding the guard and finding a linebacker to take out of the play. Gets low and drives forward in goal-line and short-yardage situations.

Pulling/trapping: Only occasionally blocks on the move, but has the feet to trap if moved inside in the pros. Has only average foot quickness moving down the line, but adjusts to oncoming defenders while in motion and gets a hand on hustling linemen to prevent them from getting to the ball. Gets low to cut block defenders he can't reach.

Initial Quickness: Good enough with his kick slide off the snap to prevent even quick pass rushers from turning the corner. Not called upon to drive block often, and needs practice firing off the snap into an opponent's jersey from a three-point stance.

Downfield: Not fluid running to cut off linebackers between the tackles, but moves adequately and doesn't let go once he gets there. Reaches defenders in space - even used to knock out cornerbacks on slip screens - but comes in off-balance and will struggle to sustain if he doesn't latch on. Inconsistent moving his feet to stay on his man.

Intangibles: Durable three-year starter who is a vocal leader in the locker room. Coaches love his attitude and work ethic in practice.

NFL Comparison: Brandon Frye, Seahawks
Career Notes

The two-time team Most Valuable Offensive Lineman, Beadles started 50-of-51 games he played in at Utah, including twelve starting assignments at left offensive guard and 38 at left tackle … Registered 313 knockdowns/key blocks and 45 touchdown-resulting blocks during his four years in the lineup … Allowed only 3.5 quarterback sacks and three pressures on 819 pass plays during his final two seasons.
2009 Season

Beadles earned first-team All-American honors from the Football Writers Association of America and College Football News, as he also was named second-team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation and Sports Illustrated, adding third-team accolades from The Sporting News … Became the first Utah offensive lineman to receive national honors since offensive guard Chris Kemoeatu in 2004 … Lowe's Senior Class second-team All-American and the Wuerffel Trophy finalist … Named All-Mountain West Conference first-team for the second-straight year and marked his third consecutive selection to the Athletic Director's Honor Roll … Chosen to the ESPN Academic All-District VIII squad for the second-straight season … Beadles recorded 89 knockdowns/key blocks (24 cuts/13 pancakes), as he added 15 touchdown-resulting blocks and seven blocks downfield … Was penalized four times and allowed three quarterback pressures, along with 1.5 sacks on 405 pass plays … Helped the Utes average 389.54 yards in total offense, including 229.23 yards passing … The front wall allowed 20 quarterback sacks, ranking 39th nationally … Recorded a solo tackle in the Oregon clash … Suffered a lower leg laceration vs. Louisville.
2008 Season

Beadles was a first-team All-MWC and Academic All-MWC choice … Selected Academic All-District VIII by ESPN … Named Utah's Top Offensive Lineman … Member of the Athletic Director's Honor Roll … Started twelve games at left offensive tackle, missing most of the season opener vs. Michigan and the entire next contest vs. Nevada-Las Vegas due to a knee sprain … Still led the team with a career-best 109 knockdowns/key blocks (27 cuts/42 pancakes) … Registered thirteen touchdown-resulting blocks and seven blocks down-field … Was penalized twice and gave up two quarterback sacks on 414 pass plays … Paved the way for an offense that averaged 400.92 yards per game in total offense and ranked 15th in the nation in scoring (36.92 points per game) … The passing attack placed third in the league with an average of 244.46 yards.
2007 Season

Beadles shifted to left offensive tackle, earning All-MWC second-team and Academic All-MWC first-team recognition … Named to the Athletic Director's honor Roll … Participated in 856 plays, recording 76 knockdowns/key blocks (22 pancakes/17 cuts) with 10 touchdown-resulting blocks … Part of a front wall that protected an offense that averaged 369.62 yards per game, including 202.15 yards via their passing attack.
2006 Season

Beadles made the Dean's List and the Athletic Director's Honor Roll in his first season with the varsity … Played in 13 games, starting all but the Brigham Young contest (came off the bench while recovering from a concussion suffered during the previous game vs. Air Force) … Participated in 696 plays, collecting 39 knockdowns/key blocks (10 pancakes/10 cuts) while coming up with seven touchdown-resulting blocks … Helped the Utes average 368.38 yards in total offense and 227.92 yards passing per game … Part of a front wall that ranked tied for sixth in the nation while leading the Mountain West Conference in fewest quarterback sacks allowed (14 for minus-113 yards, 1.15 sacks per game).
2005 Season

Redshirted as a freshman.
Injury Report

2006: Missed most of the Air Force game (11/18) due to a concussion.

2008: Did not play vs. Nevada-Las Vegas (9/06) and missed most of the season opener vs. Michigan (8/30) with a knee sprain.

2009: Suffered a lower leg laceration vs. Louisville (9/26) that limited his practice time leading up to the Colorado State clash.
Agility Tests

Campus: 5.28 in the 40-yard dash … 1.84 10-yard dash … 3.08 20-yard dash … 4.86 20-yard shuttle … 7.90 three-cone drill … 25-inch vertical jump … 7'4" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times … 33 3/4-inch arm length … 9 3/4-inch hands.
High School

Attended Hillcrest (Sandy, Utah) High School, earning first-team All-State and All-Region honors as a two-way lineman … The team captain and three-year starter did not miss a game during his high school career … Recipient of his team's "Top Lineman" Award as a senior after recording 93 tackles, six sacks and an interception for the defense and not allowing a sack as an offensive tackle … Received a two-star prospect rating from both Rivals.com and Scout.com … Lettered three times in baseball and twice in basketball …

Earned honorable mention All-State and first-team All-Region honors on the baseball diamond in 2005 and the team captain was a second-team All-Region player in 2004 …

Member of the National Honor Society … Ranked 37th out of a class of 542, graduating with a 3.92 grade point average.
Personal

Mechanical Engineering major, earning school, conference and national academic honors … Comes from a sports-oriented extended family … Father, Brad Beadles, played baseball at Hutchinson Junior College … Stepmother, Jill, started at point guard for Concordia Lutheran, which qualified for the NAIA Final Four in 1993-94 … Mother, Jamie Legerski, played basketball for Wyoming … Stepfather, Joe Legerski, is the women's basketball coach at Wyoming and a former Utah assistant … Born Zane Dae Beadles on 11/19/86 in Casper, Wyoming … Resides in Sandy, Utah.

Watchthemiddle
04-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Can play guard (my preference) or tackle.

Nice pick

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 06:20 PM
GREAT PICK!

I had him listed as one of the guys we might take here.

He will play guard or center, and play WELL!!!!

GO JOSH AND X!!!!

BRING IN THE SMASH!

slim
04-23-2010, 06:24 PM
It will be nice to have some beef on the line.

Maybe we can actually push the line in the red zone.

Hoser
04-23-2010, 06:27 PM
IMO he's gonna compete for our OC spot and definitely win it. He was way way out of place as an OT in the NFL. He's a 5th round OT, but he's a 2nd round OG/OC. I like it. Very intense fiery guy with a non stop motor.

BroncoBJ
04-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I really do like Josh and his decision making. I hate hearing all the wannabe critics on this site and others complaining that hes projected a midrounder. Who cares what hes projected. Because in Josh's eyes he's projected higher and thats all that counts. :salute: Not many people think so but I think Josh's future looks bright with the Broncos :salute:

BroncoBJ
04-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Also heres a video interview of him:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BeXOdKGKT8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6BeXOdKGKT8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

UnderArmour
04-23-2010, 06:33 PM
I really do like Josh and his decision making. I hate hearing all the wannabe critics on this site and others complaining that hes projected a midrounder. Who cares what hes projected. Because in Josh's eyes he's projected higher and thats all that counts. :salute: Not many people think so but I think Josh's future looks bright with the Broncos :salute:

As long as we're done picking Tim Crowders, Jarvis Mosses, Willie Middlebrookes, Marcus Nashes, and George Fosters.

honz
04-23-2010, 06:34 PM
As a Ute fan I can say Beadles is a stud and he has a mean streak. He is big and he will block his ass off. Whether his technique is sound or whether he will succeed in the NFL I am not qualified to say. He will give it his all though.

BroncoBJ
04-23-2010, 06:36 PM
As long as we're done picking Tim Crowders, Jarvis Mosses, Willie Middlebrookes, Marcus Nashes, and George Fosters.

I think we are done drafting those guys because Shanahan is no longer here. :salute:

gregbroncs
04-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Also a Ute fan. I like this pick. He was a great player on some of the best Ute football teams ever.

Tebow4Ever
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Seems like a solid pick.nice Bio,has pretty good size and seems like a fighter.Wonder what we do next.

sneakers
04-23-2010, 06:50 PM
The second day of the draft is already better than the 1st.

broken12
04-23-2010, 07:11 PM

how about the pryces, al wilsons, darrent williams, ben hamiltons, ryan clady's, the other offensive tackle and guard, terrell davis, mike andersons, not to mention others who arent here anymore,

Az Snake
04-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Beadles is a stud and he has a mean streak. He is big and he will block his ass off.

That's just what I want to hear !!!
He looks like a big teddy bear.

:beer:

And he's a very intelligent dude too !

atwater27
04-23-2010, 07:22 PM
how about the pryces, al wilsons, darrent williams, ben hamiltons, ryan clady's, the other offensive tackle and guard, terrell davis, mike andersons, not to mention others who arent here anymore,

Hey man! Don't let the good things like drafting pro bowlers, trading for hall of famers, winning records and super bowl wins get in the way of a good Shanny bashing!

SR
04-23-2010, 08:02 PM

You're more than welcome to cuddle with him. I sure as shit wouldn't.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Is beadles more of a run blocker or pass protector? Or just versatile?

Lonestar
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM

Amem Brother you are preaching to the choir.

You can add oneal, lelie to that list also while they played while they were here by no means were they stellar LONG term guys. If you add in 2 rounders, Bell, Watts ,pierce Reggar and Toviessi to a FAIL list.

honz
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Is beadles more of a run blocker or pass protector? Or just versatile?

Versatile. He played LT i a spread offense for Utah, but he definitely has a mean streak.Just hoping that mean streak translates into road grading at the NFL level.

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 09:07 PM
The mean streak will serve him well. Being out on the edges at OT, guys are tryin to go around you.

On the interior, all the meat will be gettin fed right to him where he can maul.

I love it. I love the pick.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Yeah... so that we can have more Alphonso Smith and Quinn picks

Watchthemiddle
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Clady on the left, Beadles at left guard, JD Walton at Center....Tebow in the GUN...
3-2, or 4-1 over the left side....

I like it!!!

Broncolingus
04-23-2010, 09:38 PM
I like this pick too...

...I'm with the group that things he'll move inside to OG.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
I like this pick too...

...I'm with the group that things he'll move inside to OG.

That's not a "group" everybody knows that.

Broncolingus
04-23-2010, 09:49 PM
That's not a "group" everybody knows that.

Oh...so do you want me to delete my post?

...or say something else?

...or what?

Whats your point?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Me likey!

CrazyHorse
04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah... so that we can have more Alphonso Smith and Quinn picks

Easily McDaniels biggest mistake last year. At least the moves this year make some sense. We lose a potential franchise QB & WR and have problems in short yardage so what do we do...

honz
04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Oh...so do you want me to delete my post?

...or say something else?

...or what?

Whats your point?

His point is that McDaniels sucks.

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 10:21 PM
I like this pick, but my money is still on Seth Olsen starting at LG and Kuper starting at RG.

Broncolingus
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM
His point is that McDaniels sucks.

Ahhhh...my bad.

Forgot that we're not supposed to talk about players or football, or anything else for that matter...

...but rather bash McD on every single thread.

rcsodak
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM

SILENCE!

Around here, all that's allowed will be attacks on failed draft picks!

GOTIT?

:D

rcsodak
04-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Kinda reminds me of you, AZ! ;)