PDA

View Full Version : Carlton Powell

Ziggy
04-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Carlton Powell DT 6'2" 301 pounds

Overview
A number of Virginia Tech outside linebackers and defensive ends have had success over the years. Oftentimes, the tireless work of the defensive tackles who constantly took on multiple blockers in order to free up their teammates to make the big plays have been overshadowed.

Because of the constant multiple coverage that they face, the Hokies' defensive tackles do not have eye-opening statistics, but head coach Frank Beamer has noted the need for his defensive tackles to dominate vs. the inside running game.

While Tech has produced quality run-stuffing tackles in recent seasons, none has shown the ability to simply shut down the opposition's ground game the way Carlton Powell, Jr. can.

How dominant has Powell been? In 73 plays that he made vs. the run, he held the opponent to minus-21 yards rushing. Since Powell was inserted into the starting lineup, Tech has led the nation in total defense the last two years (2005-06) and led the Division 1-A ranks in scoring defense in 2006, after placing second the previous two seasons.

A prep inside linebacker during his first three years at Great Bridge High School, Powell shifted to defensive tackle as a senior while also competing on the offensive line. The All-Atlantic Region choice by Prep Star battled injuries during his final campaign, but still managed to registered 60 tackles, five sacks, five fumble recoveries and a blocked punt. As a junior, he totaled 80 tackles with seven sacks and 15 stops behind the line of scrimmage.

Powell added honorable mention All-Eastern Region accolades and received a three-star prospect rating from Rivals.com. He was rated the 24th-best player in Virginia by The Roanoke Times and the state's 15th-ranked prospect by Super Prep. He was also a member of Tom Lemming's Prep Football Report All-Mid Atlantic team. He was a standout weight performer on the school's track team, finishing seventh in the Group AAA outdoor shot put competition as a senior.

Powell enrolled at Virginia Tech in 2003, turning down scholarship offers from Maryland, East Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia. He spent his first season at Tech competing on the scout team. In 2004, he appeared in 13 games as part of the team's defensive tackle rotation. He registered 17 tackles (seven solo) with 7 1/2 stops behind the line of scrimmage, six quarterback pressures and a pass deflection. In 19 plays vs. the run, he held the opponent to minus-17 yards rushing.

As a sophomore, Powell started five of 12 games at defensive tackle, missing the Duke game after spraining his ankle vs. North Carolina State in the season opener. He made 13 tackles (three solo) with an assisted sack and 1 1/2 stops for losses. But, those statistics don't tell the story. Twelve of those tackles came vs. the run, as he held the opposition to minus-7 yards on those plays.

In 2006, Powell was firmly entrenched as the starter at left defensive tackle. He recorded a career-high 38 tackles (16 solo) with 2 1/2 sacks, 6 1/2 stops behind the line of scrimmage and seven pressures. He also recovered a fumble and deflected a pass. With increased playing time, he also improved his dominance vs. the ground game. In 39 running plays directed at him, Powell held firmly, as the opponent was held to minus-2 yards rushing.

The defensive tackle started 12 of the team's 13 games in 2007. He posted 36 tackles (nine solo) with 2 1/2 sacks, six stops for losses and 15 quarterback pressures. He also forced a fumble.

In 51 games at Virginia Tech, Powell started 31 contests. He recorded 104 tackles (35 solo) with 5 1/2 sacks for minus 40 yards, 21 1/2 stops for losses of 75 yards and 30 quarterback pressures. He recovered two fumbles, caused three others and deflected a pair of passes. In 106 running plays directed at him, Powell's tackles resulted in the opposition in being held to minus-13 yards on the ground.

Career Notes
Powell is the only active defensive tackle in the Division 1-A collegiate ranks to have held the opponent to minus yardage rushing during his career (106 plays for losses of 13 yards)...The only time an opponent registered a rushing attempt for more than 10 yards vs. Powell came on a 13-yard gain by Virginia's Mikell Simpson in 2007...Only four times during his 104 career tackles has the opposition managed to register a first down on that play.

High School
Attended Great Bridge (Chesapeake, Va.) High School, playing football for head coach Noble Palmer...A prep inside linebacker during his first three years, Powell shifted to defensive tackle as a senior while also competing on the offensive line...The All-Atlantic Region choice by Prep Star battled injuries as a senior, but still managed to registered 60 tackles, five sacks, five fumble recoveries and a blocked punt...As a junior, he totaled 80 tackles with seven sacks and 15 stops behind the line of scrimmage...Added honorable mention All-Eastern Region accolades and received a three-star prospect rating from Rivalws.com...Rated the 24th-best player in Virginia by The Roanoke Times and the state's 15th-ranked prospect by Super Prep...Member of Tom Lemming's Prep Football Report All-Mid Atlantic team...Standout weight performer on the school's track team, finishing seventh in the Group AAA outdoor shot put competition as a senior.

Another solid pickup. We needed a run stuffing DE, and this guy fits the bill better than anyone in the nation.

Ziggy
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
NFL Draft Q&A: DT Carlton Powell

DT Carlton Powell (Virginia Tech Athletics) By Ed Thompson
Scout.com Senior NFL Analyst
Posted Apr 26, 2008

Among the many teams that have shown interest in defensive tackle Carlton Powell are the Colts, Buccaneers, Panthers, 49ers, Vikings, Dolphins Broncos, Saints, Titans, Ravens, Chargers and Jaguars. Learn more about this space-eating DT in this exclusive interview with Scout.com's Ed Thompson.

Thompson: Let’s talk about what this process has been like for you. How are you holding up after going through the craziness of the Combine and Pro Day?

Powell: I’m doing just great. It was a little hectic at first with the Combine, but it was a little more relaxed at Pro Day. After the Pro Day I took a couple days off and now I’m about to go home to spend time with my family before the draft.

Thompson: That’s terrific. It sounds like some well-earned relaxation time. Do you have a big family? Where is home?

Powell: Pretty big family. They’re from Chesapeake, Virginia. My mom and dad have been together my whole life. I have two older sisters and two younger brothers. I’m right in the middle.

Thompson: What is it about the sport of football that has kept you pushing for excellence and this NFL dream?

Powell: I’m just a born competitor. I love to compete and try my hand against the best people in the field. I think if it were any other sport I would be just as adamant about it. I just like to go out there and get better every day.

Thompson: Why Virginia Tech? When you look back on your career, do you think it ended up being a great fit for your skill set?

Powell: Definitely. I always wanted to play for the number one defense in the country. I really didn’t want to move too far from the house, because my parents could come to a lot of the games. I just love the way Coach Foster ran the defense. It was the right decision for me and a great five years for me. It was just amazing. It could not have gone better.

Thompson: Virginia Tech really counts on the defensive tackles to take on multiple blockers and eat up as much space as possible. At times that doesn’t really put you in a glory situation from a statistics standpoint. Were you ever concerned about that from the perspective of how that might impact your draft ranking if you didn’t have the gaudy stats?

Powell: It was a small concern. But if you really watch film, you can see my technique and fundamentals are up to par with any defensive tackle anywhere. I can make just as many plays. You have to play within your role so that the whole defense succeeds.

Thompson: What makes you so effective at taking up all that space?

Powell: Quickness off the ball, power and strength, and then make them double-team because if I get singled then I’ll be in the backfield making the tackle.

Thompson: I saw one stat that I thought was particularly impressive. Last year you were the only active Division I player who had held all of his rushing attempts against him to a grand total of negative yardage.

Powell: Yeah, I was aware of that. The ball doesn’t get past me very often.

Thompson: Talk a little bit about what you do to get so many plays made behind the line, because I know you’re a real disruptor out there.

Doug Benc/Getty Images

Powell: Just reading the stance of the offensive lineman and knowing what it means when they change things. That goes back to being in the film room, breaking down film. With the offense you do down and distance. It’s more of an intellectual game than people think. If you can anticipate and react in football it makes it a whole lot easier.

Thompson: I was looking through the teams that have been in contact with you and one of them is Tampa Bay. I know you have the talent and stretch in your athletic ability to play in any defense, but it jumped out at me that with the way you play the position you’d be a great under tackle in the Tampa 2 or Cover 2. Were you surprised at all to see that interest from Tampa Bay and would you expect to see more teams that run that type of defense, like Buffalo or Indianapolis, to be stepping up?

Powell: A lot of teams who run that scheme have shown some interest, but I can fit in pretty much anywhere. I’m a smart player who learns quickly. I’m quick on my feet and I’m good on the line. I feel like I can fit into any scheme.

Thompson: Talk about the kind of guy that you would be in a locker room. If you had to pick a couple words to describe what kind of person you are in the locker room, what would they be?

Powell: I’m not really a talker. I'm kind of more meek and lead by example. Quiet. I definitely let my actions speak more than my words.

Thompson: What makes you effective off the block trying to get to a ball carrier?

Powell: Practicing technique and fundamentals and making sure you have inside leverage on the man. That way you can control the blocker. You can step and rip or swipe and wipe away, depending on where the ball carrier is going. But it’s usually leverage that wins the battle.

Thompson: Who did you meet with for your first formal interview at the Combine, and what was that like?

Powell: My first one was with San Francisco and I was really nerve-wracked because I didn’t know what to expect. I got down there really early because I didn’t want to be late so we started a little early. I sat down and talked down to the coaches. I really think I got across to them my character, my personality, and what type of person I am. They said it went great and I had a good time in there. Everything else was smooth from then on.

Thompson: Who were some of the other teams you can remember talking to in formal interviews?

Powell: North Carolina, Indianapolis, Miami, and Minnesota.

Thompson: After your Pro Day did you have some teams come up and talk to you and ask you some more questions?

Powell: I did sit down and have a dinner before Pro Day with the D-line coach from Miami. And that went well. Then he contacted me afterwards and told me how I did a great job at the Pro Day.

Thompson: Is there anything you want to say to the Virginia Tech fans that read this article?

Powell: I want to thank them all for their support throughout the years. I’m going to the NFL to make everybody proud.

Scarface
04-27-2008, 10:03 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL%20Draft%2008/78788417.jpg

honz
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
He sounds like a run stuffing machine. Me likey!

Ziggy
04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
I think he'll be our 3rd DT in the rotation. Shanny said in the press conference that he can play either DT position. It looks like we have a guy in that Dline that won't get blown off the ball. Me likey too!

broncohead
04-27-2008, 11:49 PM
didn't know who this guy was. looks like a guy that can handle that 1-tech spot

xzn
04-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Once he's seasoned a little he sounds like he'd be the starter alongside Robertson. Then we'd have Thomas rotating in, especially on passing downs.

shank
04-28-2008, 01:01 AM
if thomas keeps his nose clean, he will be the starter. he was a first round talent.

that is unless we strictly adhere to a policy of always having a 1 tech and 3 tech paired together.

xzn
04-28-2008, 01:04 AM
I'm just saying you have a "power pig" DT on run downs and a one gap penetrator on passing downs.

shank
04-28-2008, 01:12 AM
i understand. i just think both thomas and robertson are versitile enough to be on the field at the same time, and have the most talent. plus, slowik's 'attacking style' defense may very well call for two 3 tech penetrators on the field more often than just 3rd and long... we'll see :salute:

Nature Boy
04-28-2008, 02:21 AM
I don't know about you guys but I've read way too many draft prospect analysis and every player regardless of round projection is made out to sound like a future hall of famer.

Carlton Powell is not excluded. From the text above, he is made out to be the run stopper extraordinaire and the answer to our run stopping inabilities.

I wont get my hopes up. I'll wait to see how he does on the field next to Dwayne Robertson and Marcus Thomas.

r8rh8r
04-28-2008, 06:30 AM
Powell is a 2-down DT. He could emerge as a "starter" but that's because the game starts on 1st and 10. Ultimately there'll be a rotation at DT based on who's motor is fresh and the situation. I still don't think we have enough depth at DT to sustain even 1 injury. Expect Dumervil to play inside a lot on passing downs this year. Maybe we'll find a serviceable backup before August.

Ziggy
04-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Powell is a 2-down DT. He could emerge as a "starter" but that's because the game starts on 1st and 10. Ultimately there'll be a rotation at DT based on who's motor is fresh and the situation. I still don't think we have enough depth at DT to sustain even 1 injury. Expect Dumervil to play inside a lot on passing downs this year. Maybe we'll find a serviceable backup before August.

Doom is too good off the edge. Don't you think that it would be more likely that we'd see Crowder inside, or Kenny Phillips? I think that if both are healthy though, it will be Thomas and Robertson on passing downs, with Powell coming in on running downs.

MOtorboat
04-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Doom is too good off the edge. Don't you think that it would be more likely that we'd see Crowder inside, or Kenny Phillips? I think that if both are healthy though, it will be Thomas and Robertson on passing downs, with Powell coming in on running downs.

I thought Robertson's strength was the run, so I'm guessing Powell/Robertson on obvious run situations? I don't think that will happen immediately, but I understand the premise. Crowder should see some time inside too on obvious 3rd and longs, to get Dumervil, Moss and Crowder all onto the field. Depth and more depth at this point. Something we've lacked. I hope Moss is healthy this year.

topscribe
04-28-2008, 10:27 AM
Thomas is strong at everything. I doubt they will be rotating him more than
necessary. It might benefit Robertson more to help to preserve his knees if
Powell can be good enough to do spell him.

That's just my thoughts, although none of us knows how this will play out.

-----

shank
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
roberton is a jack of all trades too. he was the #4 overall pick, and has only fallen short of expectations because he's been playing in a 3-4 imo.

but it's a good point top that knee preservation may affect the role he plays.

i still wish there was preventative measures we could take to reduce the chances it affects his play. why not fix it before it's a real problem?

Ziggy
04-28-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought Robertson's strength was the run, so I'm guessing Powell/Robertson on obvious run situations? I don't think that will happen immediately, but I understand the premise. Crowder should see some time inside too on obvious 3rd and longs, to get Dumervil, Moss and Crowder all onto the field. Depth and more depth at this point. Something we've lacked. I hope Moss is healthy this year.

Robertson's strengths aren't really know at this point. He was playing out of position as a NG in a 3-4 defense. He has 14.5 career stats in that role, which is impressive to me. His job in New York was to eat up blockers. He still got to the QB 4 times last year. I think the guy is going to be a beast in both passing and running situations in this 4-3 D.

HolyDiver
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm glad we got Powell.........hs was on my list. ................Still bitter we didn't get Laws, but atleast we came away with a pretty good DT.

CoachChaz
04-28-2008, 11:49 AM
I won't say Powell is as good as Laws noe, but he can be...and then some. That's the ain reason I didn't like Laws. I think he's topped out on his abilities and doesn't physically have much room for improvement.

WARHORSE
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Pre-draft analysis of the players is one thing......on the field production is another.

If he stuffs the run with authority, we just got a keeper, even if hes not a huge pass rushing threat.

Ziggy
04-28-2008, 12:47 PM
Pre-draft analysis of the players is one thing......on the field production is another.

If he stuffs the run with authority, we just got a keeper, even if hes not a huge pass rushing threat.

That's what I like about this kid. His praise is all based on what he did on the field, not what he did in shorts at the combine. He isn't a workout warrior, he's a player. That's something that we needed more of on that defense IMHO.

topscribe
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
I won't say Powell is as good as Laws noe, but he can be...and then some. That's the ain reason I didn't like Laws. I think he's topped out on his abilities and doesn't physically have much room for improvement.

I really would like to see more input from Coach and Dean.

You guys are ones to be listened to, IMO.

(Well, I didn't mean the only ones, for you other guys. :D )

-----

Nature Boy
04-28-2008, 03:29 PM

Doomerville is too small to play inside regardless if it's a passing down or not. Robertson, Thomas, McKinnly, Powell and a few more DTs on the roster already. And why would you wanna put your best edge rusher on the inside anyways?

Retired_Member_001
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
All I ask from this guy is that he can come in and spell Robertson. He doesn't need to be amazing, just a serviceable guy who can come in and do a job. Of course, if he turns out to be an absolute beast I'll be happy, but as long as he is serviceable I'll be fine. I mean the guy must be able to do better than Veal ( I forgot how to spell his first name :laugh:).

Nature Boy
04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I thought Veal did a pretty good job coming out the rotation.

Retired_Member_001
04-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I thought Veal did a pretty good job coming out the rotation.

Yeah he was alright in passing situations to be fair. Not too great when the other team was running at us.

atwater27
04-28-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm just glad we selected a DT. It brought my blood pressure down a notch.

Lonestar
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Lets hope that the new kids all stick as we already know how bad we have been in this department for almost a decade..

I suspect it will be Robertson starting with rookie spelling him..

Remember more time off the filed for Robertson next year extends his career and cuts down on what we have to give up in the draft next year to da JETS

Ziggy
04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
I could see Robertson being used more on passing downs and Powell being used more on obvious running downs. Keep Robertson fresh and he's a 6-10 sack type of DT.

TXBRONC
04-29-2008, 12:23 PM

Maybe but Thomas isn't bad run either.

MOtorboat
04-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Maybe but Thomas isn't bad run either.

That's good, because he'll most likely start next to Robertson this year. Powell's ability to play against the run just helps us with a rotation. DTs rarely play every down.

TXBRONC
04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
That's good, because he'll most likely start next to Robertson this year. Powell's ability to play against the run just helps us with a rotation. DTs rarely play every down.

Exactly Powell wasn't drafted to start, at least not right now.

Lonestar
04-29-2008, 08:50 PM

I see it as a learning curve for the rookie but should see alot of playing time..

Robertson, Thomas and Powell depending on down and distance..

I do see Robertson playing more time of the three. regardless of the knees.. He is an every down type DT. Will most likely be pulled only when tired..

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2008, 01:31 AM
I think Powell will just be a training camp casualty, and spend the year on the practice squad, which isn't too bad.

Lonestar
04-30-2008, 01:35 AM
I think Powell will just be a training camp casualty, and spend the year on the practice squad, which isn't too bad.

If we really had any quality DT's past Robertson and Thomas then I could almost go along with this.. I suspect that one or more veterans will be training camp casualties

shank
04-30-2008, 01:39 AM
thomas, robertson, mckinley, and powell are virtual locks to make the team imo. many UDFA DT's could make this team at DT, and powell actually fills a need as a run-stopper. steven harris will spend another year on the PS.