PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan Post Draft Press Conference Transcript

Tned
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM
DENVER BRONCOS HEAD COACH MIKE SHANAHAN PRESS CONFERENCE

On each new member of the Denver Broncos
"Let's start out with Kory Lichtensteiger. He is a person that can play both the center and the guard position. We were very impressed with him and the way he has played. We were just hoping that he would be there. Not to often do you get a guy who can play both the center and the guard position. We feel like we got some value there."

"The next person was cornerback Jack Williams from Kent State. He is a guy that is very physical and has the ability to play the pass, up coverage as well as off coverage. He is a guy that we thought was very consistent in making plays."

"Ryan Torain, a running back from Arizona State, has a lot of abilities and some great run instincts. He is a guy that I am very high on and was hoping would be there somewhere in the fourth or fifth round. We felt very fortunate to get him."

"Carlton Powell, defensive tackle from Virginia Tech, is a guy that moves quite well. He will get a chance to come in right away and compete with our defensive lineman. He is a very sharp kid and a person that has the flexibility to play both tackle positions."

"Spencer Larsen from Arizona is a very physical linebacker that I believe can not only play the linebacker position but possibly the full back position as well. He is an all around type athlete."

"Josh Barrett, a safety out of Arizona State, is a very physical safety with great speed in the 4.3 range. He is about 225 lbs and has done a great job on special teams."

"Peyton Hillis from Arkansas is a fullback... Very strong, very physical. I think he will fit in well with our blocking scheme. He is a guy we got late in the seventh round, and we feel very fortunate he was there."

On the draft overall
"Overall, I felt good about the draft. Sometimes when you go into the draft, you get a lot of your needs and sometimes you don't. I feel like we were able to get some quality players both offensively and defensively and also able to fill some of the needs that we needed."

On his draft strategy in 2008
"You never really know what is going to happen. It doesn't mean that we haven't talked to a lot of people and they are ready to move and right before our pick, someone else picked a guy that they wanted. We had a few scenarios like that in the draft, but you don't move just to move. If the guy that you want is there, then you stay with the pick. Most of the guys we wanted were there at that time. We had a lot of offers to move, but we felt the value was there to take our pick."

On drafting players with good character
"Most of those guys [with good character] we have on our team. There are always a few exceptions, but that has been a big emphasis since we have been here. Even through those Super Bowl years, there were a couple guys behind the right guys to lead them in the right direction. As we all know, if they don't stand up and do the right things than they won't be with us very long. I am very happy with our draft class and the type of character that we did draft and I think everyone here could tell from the interviews that we have some quality individuals."

On his confidence regarding Ryan Torain's recovery from a foot injury
"Very confident. You have to talk to the doctors and do some research, but he should be ready in a short time."

On drafting a few players with previous medical issues
"What you do way before you pick them is go into the draft when someone like Lichtensteiger who might have a problem with his shoulder and you find out when he will be able to go. You talk to these doctors in advance, a week before the draft starts to kind of get an idea of when they will be ready. I feel very good about everybody and they should be ready by our June mini camp and some may be ready by the second week of May. We have a lot of time here to get these guys into football shape, get them into all the classes and have them jump into things right away."

On speaking with doctors before drafting a player
"These doctors have been doing this a lot of years. Like Greek (Broncos Head Athletic Trainer Steve Antonopulos)--He can tell you almost within a week whether a guy has a three-to-four month injury or when a guy should be back. These guys have been doing this a long time, going through these injuries year after year. There always are probably 100 guys in the draft that don't have a passing grade at that time. You just have to find guys you are comfortable with."

On whether he thought about addressing kickers in the draft
"We have two kickers committed already. Right now I don't want to say who, but we do have two committed kickers. We have a couple guys that will come with us and compete."

On how many college free agents he will sign
"Usually we sign five to seven people. That's what we've been doing for the last hour--talking to these agents and these players and trying to put a game plan together."

On whether RB Ryan Torain would have been a higher pick if he was not injured his senior season
"I think he's got first-round ability, I will say that. So I really put the whammy on them. Any time I say a guy has first-round ability--he probably has no chance at all. But I really do believe he is that type of tailback and time will tell."

On whether he was looking for a bigger running back when drafting RB Ryan Torain
"We got a big back [Torain] and also in free agency we got another smaller back, too. At least we got a commitment, and we will find out tomorrow if the commitment stays, but I believe it will. We've got a little bit of everything. We've got some bigger backs, a smaller back and we've got some competition. That's what you like."

On whether LB Spencer Larsen will play linebacker or fullback
"Most of these linebackers at the collegiate level played fullback in high school. He's the type of guy that [is] very intelligent, very sharp, plays the game extremely well. I just thought he was one of those guys, watching him with his quickness and agility [and] his ability to catch the ball, that he could go either way. It's hard to find fullbacks in the National Football League. We're hoping we found one out of Arkansas in the seventh round [FB Peyton Hillis], and Larsen may help us both ways. I can't tell you right now; we'll just kind of wait and see."

On FB Peyton Hillis
"In high school, he played tailback and broke all of these records, so if he ever went to Arkansas and they recruited him as a fullback he wouldn't wind up being at Arkansas. He would wind up at some other place. But when you take a look at the tailbacks Arkansas had, he went to the fullback position and [he is] a little over six feet [tall], 240-something pounds and he blocked extremely well. So he got put in a situation, probably, not what he was hoping for when he came out of high school. That's what most fullbacks are--converted tailbacks. I thought he did a great job because he's an excellent blocker and we'll wait and see how he fits in."

On whether he addressed cornerback depth by drafting CB Jack Williams
"We're not deep. You always have to have five corners and we have four corners. We really have six right now but two of the names I'm sure you don't even know. We have some competition. We want to bring a guy in case one guy [goes] down, [and then] you're at least two deep. I don't think you ever have enough corners. Obviously the offense can dictate what type of defense you are in, so if you are going against an offense that's using three, four and five wide receivers, you have to have a few defensive backs and we felt very fortunate that Jack was there with our fourth-round pick."

On if the Broncos are a better team after the draft
"We're a better team, there is no question about it. No. 1, you have [T] Ryan [Clady] coming in here starting out as our left offensive tackle. [Former T] Matt [Lepsis] didn't have one of his best years last year. He was coming off an injury and didn't play at the level that he normally played at. With Ryan coming in with his type of ability, I think we will make an improvement there regardless of him being a rookie or not. There is going to be a learning curve there, there are going to be some mistakes, but he's got the athletic ability to come in and help our football team win. [That] gives us the ability to move other people to different positions even though we have to have a backup at his position.

"Any time you take a punt returner or a kickoff returner [WR Eddie Royal], you really don't have to teach that. A guy can come in right away and return punts and kicks and it's something you don't have to coach. For him to come in as a wide receiver in the second round and say he's going to contribute--it's really hard to contribute, I believe, early at any skill position other than the running back position. There is just a curve there. But I think this guy has the ability to not only be a punt and kickoff returner, but he was the best receiver I saw in the draft coming out of the break. He's got an unbelievable knack of beating bump-and-run [coverage]. He's got that type of quickness and agility and obviously he catches the ball well.

"To get these two guys in the first two rounds--[they] were the two guys we were hoping to get. That [has] happened zero times in my NFL career--that I could pick out the first two guys I wanted with my first two picks--and that actually happened. You feel very fortunate, but I'm hoping not to pick at the 12th pick very often."

http://den.scout.com/2/750578.html

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Sure wish they would put a mike in the audience so we could hear the questions asked..

Sometimes like a politician mikey does not always fully answer the questions asked..

Would really like to know what spin is being added..

WARHORSE
04-27-2008, 09:44 PM
By Meghann Lord
Special to DenverBroncos.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Day two of the 2008 NFL Draft contained seven picks for the Broncos with one constant between all the picks -- versatility.
The day started in the fourth round when Denver grabbed center Kory Lichtensteiger (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8660) from Bowling Green University.
"He is a person that can play both the center and the guard position," Head Coach Mike Shanahan (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=357&contentID=415) said. "We were very impressed with him and the way he has played. We were just hoping that he would be there. Not too often do you get a guy who can play both the center and the guard position. We feel like we got some value there."
Lichtensteiger started 44 consecutive games at both the guard and center positions and finished 2007 with 76 knockdown blocks.
"I know it is a zone-blocking scheme, and that is the kind of offense I come from. This is definitely a dream come true, because the Broncos were one of the teams I was hoping for -- big time," said Lichtensteiger when asked about how he'll fit into the Broncos offensive scheme.
With their second fourth-round pick, Denver picked cornerback Jack Williams (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8661) of Kent State.
"He is a guy that is very physical and has the ability to play the pass; up coverage as well as off coverage," Shanahan said of Williams versatility.
In 44 games at Kent State, Williams started 37 contests. He recorded 245 tackles, three sacks and a pair of quarterback pressures. He also caused and recovered seven fumbles and blocked one punt. He deflected 25 passes and gained 209 yards with two touchdowns on 13 picks.
The fifth-round yielded two picks, the first of which was running back Ryan Torain (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8662) from Arizona State.
"I can catch out of the backfield, I can line up as a receiver and I run down hill," Torain said of his game. "I can make guys miss, and I feel like I can do great things for this team."
"He is a guy that I am very high on and was hoping would be there somewhere in the fourth or fifth round," Shanahan said. "We felt very fortunate to get him."
Torain transferred to Arizona State from Butler Community College in 2004. In his career at Arizona State, Torain appeared in 19 games and rushed 333 times for 1,782 yards and 12 touchdowns.
With the second pick in the fifth-round, the Broncos went to the other side of the ball -- taking Virginia Tech defensive tackle Carlton Powell (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8663).

"He will get a chance to come in right away and compete with our defensive lineman," Shanahan said. "He is a very sharp kid and a person that has the flexibility to play both tackle positions."
In 51 games at Virginia Tech, Powell started 31 contests. He recorded 104 tackles with 5 1/2 sacks, two fumble recoveries, caused three others and deflected a pair of passes. In 106 running plays directed at him, Powell's tackles resulted in the opposition being held to minus-13 yards on the ground.
Coming to the Rocky Mountains will be made easier for Powell, as he'll be heading west with a fellow Hokie, Eddie Royal (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8656).
"It is definitely going to be a plus to have somebody there, to have somebody on the team that I already get along with to be coming in with me", Powell explained. "I think it is a blessing."

WARHORSE
04-27-2008, 09:45 PM
With their sixth-round selection, the Broncos took linebacker Spencer Larsen (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8665) from Arizona.
"Spencer Larsen from Arizona is a very physical linebacker that I believe can not only play the linebacker position but possibly the full back position as well," Shanahan said. "He is an all around type athlete."
While at Arizona, Larsen started 37 games playing at both inside and outside linebacker. His 312 tackles rank 15th on the school's all-time record list.
The Broncos concluded their 2008 NFL Draft with two picks in the seventh round. The first being safety Josh Barrett (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8666) from Arizona State.
Barrett will join the Broncos with two familiar faces; fellow Sun Devil Torain and and cross state rival Larsen.

"Spencer Larsen is a dynamite linebacker. Ryan Torain, we all know what he can do with the ball," Barrett said when asked what his thoughts on these fellow Pac-10 players are. "It's an awesome opportunity and I couldn't ask for anything more. It really is a blessing."
Barrett started 27 games at Arizona State, recording 174 tackles, three sacks and six interceptions.
"He is a very physical safety with great speed in the 4.3 (40-yard dash) range. He is about 225 lbs and has done a great job on special teams," Shanahan said of Barrett.
With their ninth and final pick of the 2008 NFL Draft, the Broncos went after another versatile player -- fullback Peyton Hillis (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=8667) from Arkansas.
"It was pretty much a week-to-week deal with our team, and I just played where ever the needed me to play," Hillis said when asked about being utilized as a fullback, H-back, tailback, tight end, wide receiver, kickoff returner and punt returner for the Razorbacks.
At Arkansas, Hillis gained 959 yards with 12 touchdowns on 203 carries and hauled in 118 passes for 1,195 yards, including 11 scores.
Shanahan expressed his confidence in Hillis's ability to adjust to whatever position he plays.
"In high school he played tailback and broke all of these records," Shanahan said. "But when you take a look at the tailbacks Arkansas had, he went to the fullback position. That's what most fullbacks are -— converted tailbacks. I thought he did a great job because he's an excellent blocker and we'll wait and see how he fits in."
Overall, Shanahan said he is very pleased with what the draft class brings on and off the field.
"I am very happy with our draft class and the type of character that we did draft," Shanahan said. "I think everyone here could tell from the interviews, that we have some quality individuals."

WARHORSE
04-27-2008, 09:46 PM
I liked our draft. We got smart guys that are versatile.
Lets see what happens.

I think Royal will be a steal.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 09:55 PM
we got good character guys as far as I can see, beyond that time will tell..

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
Sure wish they would put a mike in the audience so we could hear the questions asked..

Sometimes like a politician mikey does not always fully answer the questions asked..

Would really like to know what spin is being added..

They did yesterday...I transcribed his presser out but didn't transcribe questions. Head to denverbroncos.com and see if the questions are there...

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 10:07 PM
BTW...everyone check out my Clady article...that is an original based on pressers from yesterday...

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Jr...you can hear the questions on db.com, but you have to listen pretty hard. They aren't walking around with a mic, like at the Super Bowl, or major sporting events, which is typical.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 10:09 PM
BTW...everyone check out my Clady article...that is an original based on pressers from yesterday...
link?

Scarface
04-27-2008, 10:10 PM

Where's the article, dude? I'd like to check it out! :beer:

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 10:11 PM
link?

Where's the article, dude? I'd like to check it out! :beer:

Come on fellas...in the articles area of the web site...:rolleyes:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13463

WARHORSE
04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I was just posting in another thread that you shouldnt be surprised that Hillis gets a look at tailback even though he was a fullback.

Scarface
04-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Come on fellas...in the articles area of the web site...:rolleyes:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13463

This site has about 100 different forums. I barely have time to check out 1 to 2 daily. :D

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 10:22 PM
This site has about 100 different forums. I barely have time to check out 1 to 2 daily. :D

Keep it in mind...I've got a few more I think I may write in the next couple of days...more news-minded than opinion based...

Scarface
04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Keep it in mind...I've got a few more I think I may write in the next couple of days...more news-minded than opinion based...

I liked this quote from Shanny:

But we really felt going into this draft, we needed to take a look at our tackle position.”

Some of us felt this before the draft and Shanny made the statement loud and clear at #12 when he could have taken Stewart or Mendenahall but chose Clady instead.

http://www.ktvb.com/xtra/moresports/stories/M_IMAGE.10a642fdd3f.93.88.fa.d0.7419951d.jpg

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 10:33 PM
I liked this quote from Shanny:

Some of us felt this before the draft and Shanny made the statement loud and clear at #12 when he could have taken Stewart or Mendenahall but chose Clady instead.

http://www.ktvb.com/xtra/moresports/stories/M_IMAGE.10a642fdd3f.93.88.fa.d0.7419951d.jpg

The one criticism I have of our draft is that we didn't take two OTs. I am happy with our draft. I would have liked to see a few more OL.

Scarface
04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
The one criticism I have of our draft is that we didn't take two OTs. I am happy with our draft. I would have liked to see a few more OL.

Harris/Kuper/Pears can all play Tackle though. I think our O-Line is in great shape going forward.

WARHORSE
04-27-2008, 10:37 PM
Harris/Kuper/Pears can all play Tackle though. I think our O-Line is in great shape going forward.

Not to mention that all positions along the line will have great competition. I wonder if Pears can move inside? I like Kuper to play RT, Clady LT. Pears supplant Hamilton?

Lets mix it up and come out with some domination.

xzn
04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
I'd like to see bookend Ryan's with Nalen flanked by Hamilton and the winner of Kuper / Holland / Weigmand in the short term. Longer term Lichtenstiger figures to work his way in there hopefully as Nalen fades out.

TXBRONC
04-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Not to mention that all positions along the line will have great competition. I wonder if Pears can move inside? I like Kuper to play RT, Clady LT. Pears supplant Hamilton?

Lets mix it up and come out with some domination.

If Hamilton is healthy I don't think Pears could beat him out. Hamilton when healthy is one most technically sound guards in the game.

tomjonesrocks
04-27-2008, 11:21 PM
Did I read this right? We have 2 players already committed that we don't know about, a small RB and another kicker?

"We got a big back [Torain] and also in free agency we got another smaller back, too. At least we got a commitment, and we will find out tomorrow if the commitment stays, but I believe it will. We've got a little bit of everything."

"We have two kickers committed already. Right now I don't want to say who, but we do have two committed kickers. We have a couple guys that will come with us and compete."

lex
04-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Did I read this right? We have 2 players already committed that we don't know about, a small RB and another kicker?

"We got a big back [Torain] and also in free agency we got another smaller back, too. At least we got a commitment, and we will find out tomorrow if the commitment stays, but I believe it will. We've got a little bit of everything."

Word on the street is that we're signing Woodyard and Aldridge.

fcspikeit
04-28-2008, 01:00 AM
Word on the street is that we're signing Woodyard and Aldridge.

For real?