PDA

View Full Version : Ed Werder interview with McDaniels

Italianmobstr7
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Figured this could use it's own thread. I posted it in the 4/23 press conference thread, but it'll get seen more here. I did this all myself by listening to the interview and rewinding my DVR. This is word for word.

Werder: "What was it about Tim Tebow that made him one of the centerpieces of this complex plan?"

McDaniels: "We have a lot of parameters that we look for in our quarterbacks and Tim has really displayed all of those. He's productive, he's tough, he's smart. He's been a leader, and has great work ethic. He's highly recommended and regarded from everybody that you speak to. I understand the questions about the throwing motion and the mechanics and all of those things, but I think there's some things that he has that you can't coach and can't teach. And the things that we would like to improve and tweak relative to his game, those are things that you can coach. So we're looking forward to getting to work with him, putting him in there with our other three quarterbacks and we think the competition is going to be incredible."

Werder: "You want your quarterback to be the best player on your team and have a positive effect on lifting the performance of everybody around him, how long a process will this be with this quarterback?"

McDaniels: "We tell all our players that they're to create their own roles. We have no timetable for any player on our team. We want the best players on the field at all times and we know that the competition is going to be great at that position so we're trying to do that everywhere on our football team. We certainly feel like the competitiveness of the players that are going to play quarterback for us this year is going to make all of them better, and we expect that from all of them. We're looking forward to seeing how it all plays out."

Werder: "You mentioned the throwing motion and he's already evolved to a certain point in remaking that. This is what you do, you're a quarterback guy, you're a technician at that position. How far does he have to go, and how far has he already made it?"

McDaniels: "I think he's definitely made progress in changing what he wanted to do with it. I think the most important thing for us is to get him to a point where he feels it's consistent. I don't think it's that big of a deal that all of our quarterbacks look identical, I'm not going to try to do that, I don't think that's really a smart thing to do. He's been a very productive player at college you know? 67 percent completions, done a lot of things, obviously won a lot of games doing things the way he's done it and certainly he's made some progress with his motion already, and we're going to try to get it to the point where it's smooth, consistent, natural and he can just play, and that's a goal that we have for all our quarterbacks and it will be no different for Tim."

Werder: "Let's talk about the other player you pick, Demaryius Thomas. Most people had Dez Bryant as the number one receiver on their board. You think this guy on the field reminds you of Brandon Marshall, why the decision you made there?"

McDaniels: "We just again made an evaluation of the entire package. Dez Bryant we certainly had on our board and felt good about that player as well, but Demaryius just gave us some things that we felt we were looking for in our offense. He's been a vertical guy, and again you can't evaluate necessarily how many times he's had a chance to do it at Georgia Tech because their offense has been different but the opportunities he's had to display the things that he can do, he's really shown the ability to go up and get the ball. On the field he's got great speed, he can do things with the ball after he catches it, and we spent a lot of time with this player. We feel very good about his ability to come in and learn our offense and be a productive part of it."

Northman
04-23-2010, 03:46 PM
we have no timetable for any player on our team.

wtf?

Italianmobstr7
04-23-2010, 03:47 PM
wtf?

I don't know, it was an exact quote. He did say they grade all of their rookies on a 2 year scale last week though. I think that's one reason we jumped up to take Tebow. He may not be much this year, but he'll be our starter next year.

Northman
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know, it was an exact quote. He did say they grade all of their rookies on a 2 year scale last week though. I think that's one reason we jumped up to take Tebow. He may not be much this year, but he'll be our starter next year.

But, does that mean that he is going to be wheeling and dealing players every year regardless of their production on the team? It just doesnt sound right to me. I would have to figure that at some positions you need to have stability but that quote leaves me confused.

Lancane
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
wtf?

Meaning if Tebow plays lights out then Orton and Quinn will be holding the clipboard.

:lol:

Lonestar
04-23-2010, 03:54 PM
wtf?

It means that competition will bring out the best for all of them. That given todays contracts there will be incentives in place to reach them IMHO.

If he were to say that Tim has until the end of training camp to have the following things down pat and he does not then Would Josh have to let him go.

Changing the throwing motion of a QB that has been doing this for what maybe 15 years may take some extra time to get it done. Fixing it in 3 or 4 months just may not happen.

I do nto tink realistically that any player has to be on a rigid time schedule.