PDA

View Full Version : Denver Panicked.

turftoad
04-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Go figure, McD can't help himself. We're a laughing stock.

Ralph Wilson rips Tim Tebow pick: "Denver panicked"
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 23, 2010 3:44 PM ET
NFL owners aren't usually in the business of critiquing other teams' draft picks. But Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson ripped the Denver Broncos today for their decision to draft Florida quarterback Tim Tebow.

"Denver panicked,'' Wilson said. "He's a good player but we had no interest in taking Tebow. We were not moving up to take Tebow."

There was a belief in some quarters that the Broncos picked Tebow where they did in part because the Denver brain trust thought the Bills were looking to move up and take Tebow. But Bills G.M. Buddy Nix said that wasn't true, and now Wilson has said it even more forcefully.
Wilson also praised the player the Bills did take, Clemson running back C.J. Spiller.

"I think he was the best player in the draft,'' Wilson said. "We've been dull for 10 years . . . no excitement. We've got to create some excitement.''

When it's time to negotiate a contract, Spiller's agent may remind Wilson that he thought Spiller was the best player in the draft.

Northman
04-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Bhwwhahahahahahahaa, oh man.

broncophan
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Ralph Wilson should worry about his own team.......and their weaknesses.....

slim
Meh, just as likely he is butt hurt because Denver beat him to the punch.

Mike
That sounds a little more like sour grapes than anything else.

NightTrainLayne
04-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Who knows. I'm confused about the pick, but honestly, if another team beat me to the pick that I wanted, it covers my ass with my fan-base to say that we didn't want the guy to start with.

Italianmobstr7
04-23-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm calling bullshit. Wilson is just mad because we took the player they coveted in the 2nd round. There were numerous rumors about them "going hard" after a move up to grab Tebow. We beat them out with our offer to the Ravens. Wilson should shut the **** up about who we took. If he's not upset and thinks we panicked, why is he even saying stuff in the media? Oh yeah, it's because he's PISSED that we took him with our 2nd pick and they didn't.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Ass cover fail

ikillz0mbies
04-23-2010, 03:20 PM
He probably planned on renaming his stadium to Tim Tebow stadium. He had a sign all made and what not...then Denver does this. He's just bitter.

GEM
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
There were reports coming out of NUMEROUS places that the Bills were going for Tebow. It's not like McD just pulled that out of his hat. :rolleyes:

dogfish
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
they actually were trying to move up for tebow, ralph wilson is just so old he can't remember back to last night. . . .

Northman
04-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Whether or not they wanted him is irrelevant. We panicked. lmao

GEM
04-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Whether or not they wanted him is irrelevant. We panicked. lmao

How is that panicked? :confused: That's usually how it goes in the draft. You want a guy, you get reports that someone else wants guy, you jump to get the guy. Every draft day trade and jump is a panic then.

Tempus Fugit
04-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Trading up is now panicking. Interesting theory.

There was a lot of panic yesterday, apparently.

silkamilkamonico
04-23-2010, 03:35 PM
LMAO

The lulz just keep on coming.

BigDaddyBronco
04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
I have heard tape of Ralph Wilson talking and not even knowing what day it was. He's as senile as Al Davis.

G_Money
04-23-2010, 03:37 PM
Ralph Wilson is laying the groundwork for adding Clausen.

You can't tell Clausen he was your second choice. So now they'll say "You were ALWAYS the guy we wanted, we swear."

Nothing wrong with gamesmanship.

~G

Northman
How is that panicked? :confused: That's usually how it goes in the draft. You want a guy, you get reports that someone else wants guy, you jump to get the guy. Every draft day trade and jump is a panic then.

Teams bluff all the time.

slim
I have heard tape of Ralph Wilson talking and not even knowing what day it was. He's as senile as Al Davis.

It is Monday, isn't it?

nevcraw
04-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Ralph Wilson Alzheimers has turned him into a a total curmudgeon.. Remeber the finger he gave the Titans fans..

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm calling bullshit. Wilson is just mad because we took the player they coveted in the 2nd round. There were numerous rumors about them "going hard" after a move up to grab Tebow. We beat them out with our offer to the Ravens. Wilson should shut the **** up about who we took. If he's not upset and thinks we panicked, why is he even saying stuff in the media? Oh yeah, it's because he's PISSED that we took him with our 2nd pick and they didn't.

A few minutes ago, this was mentioned on ESPN, and Tedy Bruschi just rolled his eyes and shook his head

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Who in the HELL cares what Wilson, or anyone else, from any other team thinks?????

Northman
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
Turf does.

topscribe
04-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Sounds like a twofold event:

1. Xanders/McDaniels panicked.

2. Wilson lied.

-----

rocks
04-23-2010, 03:43 PM
lol @ Ralph... He's so full of sh**. He's saving face now. They're going be stuck picking Clausen (because of ownership) which is going to suck because they don't need Clausen to run Chaney's offense. They needed Tebow (or someone like him) to run it. Don't be surprised to see them go after McCoy.

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Ralph was probably confused while cleaning all of the Lombardi trophies that the Bills have won under his watch. Oh wait.........

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alyssa-jung/drumroll-pleasebills-draf_b_549670.html

We drafted a RB. With the First Round Ninth pick, we drafted a RB. Now let's be clear, I am NOT knocking C.J. Spiller of Clemson at all. He has impressive stats (32 touchdowns rushing, 11 receiving, 7 on kickoffs and one punt return for a score) and a great rep and I have no doubt he'll be a great asset to our team. One Bills Drive biggies see him as a "hybrid" that can be used in various ways and are comparing him to the Saints' Reggie Bush. New GM Buddy Nix said the team doesn't have a "playmaker" and needs one. Don't know if he's met this guy named Fred Jackson, but fair enough.

The confusion comes in because I don't see running back as a top need. We are perfectly set with Freddy J. What we need to address is the ragged and overall deficient offensive line.

Northman
04-23-2010, 03:51 PM
I too was confused with the Spiller pick because of Jackson. But, most teams go with two backs now and maybe Lynch isnt their guy anymore.

SOCALORADO.
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM

I am calling BS too. Rarely will an owner come out and say something so over-the -top unless its exactly the opposite.
He wouldntt say anything at all.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2010, 03:53 PM
So you guys are saying, that from McD's history in the draft of moving up..... McD didn't just move up to get his guy, but was "correct" in his assessment and there is NO WAY he made a mistake by trading away a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to get back into the first round? Its the owner of the Bills that is nuts

slim
04-23-2010, 03:56 PM
So you guys are saying, that from McD's history in the draft of moving up..... McD didn't just move up to get his guy, but was "correct" in his assessment and there is NO WAY he made a mistake by trading away a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to get back into the first round? Its the owner of the Bills that is nuts

Ralph Wilson is senile. I think that widely accepted as fact.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2010, 04:03 PM
http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/21/buffalo-bills-trading-up-into-first-round-for-tim-tebow/

The newest reports are that of the former, and suggest that if Tim Tebow is available at 30th overall, he will become a Minnesota Viking.

The Buffalo Bills’ name has been thrown around in the quarterback talk. There’s no question that they are a team in need of an upgrade at the position, and reports have it that they believe Tebow is their guy.

This is where the Vikings come in.

The Vikings may have no intentions at all of drafting Tebow, but if they know that Buffalo intends on taking him, they can use that to their advantage to pick up a few extra picks.

The Bills certainly have the firepower to move up if they truly want to, and I believe they’ll need to. They have eight picks after their first round selection, and a disgruntled, young running back as compensation for a team looking to move down and accrue extra draft picks.

The hype on Tebow continues to grow, and it may catapult him into the first round so that a team can assure that they will get their guy. For Buffalo, Tebow is “their guy”, and Minnesota is using the media to their advantage by putting up the smokescreen leaving Buffalo with no choice to move up, or call the bluff and lose out on the player they wanted.

And who knows, maybe Minnesota really does want Tebow. It’s what makes the draft the most exciting part of the off-season.

Northman
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Who's Derek Peiffer? Does he work for the organization?

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 04:16 PM
By Josh and X trading down, we basically took Tebow with our second rounder.........AND picked up an extra third along the way..........AND got us a WR playmaker to boot.

Panicked?

Looked VERY much like EXECUTION to me.:coffee:

Northman
04-23-2010, 04:17 PM
We shate ourselves.

spikerman
04-23-2010, 04:21 PM
By Josh and X trading down, we basically took Tebow with our second rounder.........AND picked up an extra third along the way..........AND got us a WR playmaker to boot.

Panicked?

If only Denver already had a play making receiver and didn't have to waste a pick to draft one................

On a serious note, I didn't oppose trading Marshall, but damn there were so many other needs besides WR and QB. Last night I asked myself if Denver is better after the first round of the draft than they were at the end of last year and I don't know how any objective person could say that they are. i know there is a long way to go, but I still haven't seen anything out of this football operation that gives me confidence that they know what they're doing.

I'm also not against the Tebow pick, just not at that spot. Too many other needs....... too many other needs. :tsk:

Northman
04-23-2010, 04:22 PM
If only Denver already had a play making receiver and didn't have to waste a pick to draft one................

On a serious note, I didn't oppose trading Marshall, but damn there were so many other needs besides WR and QB. Last night I asked myself if Denver is better after the first round of the draft than they were at the end of last year and I don't know how any objective person could say they are. i know there is a long way to go, but I still haven't seen anything out of this football operation that gives me confidence that they know what they're doing.

I'm also not against the Tebow pick, just not at that spot. Too many other needs....... too many other needs. :tsk:

Dont worry, we will do it all again next year. :lol:

SOCALORADO.
04-23-2010, 04:23 PM
We shate ourselves.

OK thats it. No more negativity today or your going down for a nap.
I mean it buster!

dogfish
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
OK thats it. No more negativity today or your going down for a nap.
I mean it buster!

yea, north. . . we're gonna have to put your surly ass in timeout. . . . :heh:

Lonestar
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM

IIRC we got the call from the ravens telling us BUF was trying to mow up and get TEbow.

They did not seem to want to have him playing in their division or area. Or they just liked Josh better than BUF. Who knows what really happened but We got who we wanted and I suspect lots of doubters will come on board after he has been here awhile.

slim
04-23-2010, 04:25 PM
It's only a matter of time before Clay puts North on ignore.

Northman
04-23-2010, 04:25 PM

Am i getting annoying yet? :lol:

G_Money
04-23-2010, 04:27 PM
At least it's different posters getting riled up. Being able to predict the response of half the members of the board verbatim was getting old. :D

~G

Sparky The Sun Devil
04-23-2010, 04:28 PM
according to ralph wilson the future is better for Trent Stanton then tebow LMFAO

Ravage!!!
04-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Panicked?

Nice try on using the Maylock quote.

But we didn't.

If you sold a car and profited 1000 dollars, then turned around and bought a car for 750 dollars... did you get the second car for free, or did you REALLY spend 750 dollars that you had?

We HAD an additional 2nd 3rd and 4th in one of the deepest drafts... we used those picks to get tebow...after using a 4th on Quinn. How many draft picks have we used on QBs.... didn't we move up with a pick last year for Brandsater?

dogfish
It's only a matter of time before Clay puts North on ignore.

it's also only a matter of time before clay mates with one of his socks, FWIW. . . .

:noidea:

G_Money
Just one? You're selling him short. :tsk:

~G

Ravage!!!
Ralph Wilson is senile. I think that widely accepted as fact.

McD likes to move up in the draft and over pay for players... that too is a widely known and accepted fact :beer:

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 04:30 PM

On a serious note, I didn't oppose trading Marshall, but damn there were so many other needs besides WR and QB. Last night I asked myself if Denver is better after the first round of the draft than they were at the end of last year and I don't know how any objective person could say that they are. i know there is a long way to go, but I still haven't seen anything out of this football operation that gives me confidence that they know what they're doing.

yeah, but that one wanted 50 mil and 24 guaranteed.

We said thanks but no.

spikerman
04-23-2010, 04:43 PM
yeah, but that one wanted 50 mil and 24 guaranteed.

We said thanks but no.

He was also a proven NFL player. Like I said, I agree with trading Marshall, but use those picks to address positions of greater need not to replace the player you made the decision to trade in the first place.

Elevation inc
04-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Meh, just as likely he is butt hurt because Denver beat him to the punch.

thats a fact, many beat reporters in baltimore who are credible said according to sources in the ravens war room denver, buffalo and minnesota wanted tebow......

wilson is just but hurt he pulled a reggie bush type draft move, when they dont have a qb

Northman
04-23-2010, 04:49 PM
thats a fact, many beat reporters in baltimore who are credible said according to sources in the ravens war room denver, buffalo and minnesota wanted tebow......

wilson is just but hurt he pulled a reggie bush type draft move, when they dont have a qb

I talked to Ozzie today, he said Buffalo wasnt interested. :coffee:

HORSEPOWER 56
04-23-2010, 04:53 PM

I'll pull this damn message board over... I swear to God!

WARHORSE
04-23-2010, 04:57 PM
He was also a proven NFL player. Like I said, I agree with trading Marshall, but use those picks to address positions of greater need not to replace the player you made the decision to trade in the first place.

Proven NFL player.

Proven off the field chaos.

Proven ME player who punts kicks in practice instead of handing the ball to the ball boy.

Proven practice player who bats passes down when he feels like it, and removes himself from practice when he feels like it.

Proven to get suspended by the NFL.

Proven to get suspended by his own team.

Proven domestic violence against women.

Proven agitator of nightclub nobodies.

Proven to be a RISK.

Lots of proving going on, huh?;)

Elevation inc
04-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I talked to Ozzie today, he said Buffalo wasnt interested. :coffee:

dude the hate wilson is spewing is so obvious.....very few owners go and blast another draft move unless they wanted the player themselves...thats a fact....wilson cna have his reggie bush all he wants.....

Ravage!!!
04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
dude the hate wilson is spewing is so obvious.....very few owners go and blast another draft move unless they wanted the player themselves...thats a fact....wilson cna have his reggie bush all he wants.....

That's not a fact, that's speculation and opinion

He might be inclined to comment simply because he didn't like people saying they "paniced" when Denver made the choice.

Elevation inc
04-23-2010, 05:55 PM
funny he would do that since he and bowlen are very good friends......the guy is just but hurt...so i guess i will just add top the speculation then.....the guy took reggie bush 2.0 over a QB.....

jhildebrand
04-23-2010, 06:27 PM
If Wilson TRULY wanted Tebow why would he come out and say otherwise? :confused: He doesn't strike me as a guy looking to "save face." He is an 80 something year old, astute business owner. If he truly wanted Tebow, I think he would say it or say nothing. Ralph Wilson doesn't strike me as a guy who needs to please the masses and certainly not the people in Denver.

EMB6903
04-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Ralph Wilson? panicked when he hired Chan Gailey. My goodness what a horrible move that was.

Peerless
04-23-2010, 07:07 PM
This is a clear sign of butt hurt. Nothing more.

jhildebrand
04-23-2010, 07:12 PM
This is a clear sign of butt hurt. Nothing more.

Again, if Ralph Wilson, an 80+ year old man and original owner in this league, is TRULY butt hurt, why would he come out and say he DIDN'T want Tebow? What does he gain from that. The guy doesn't strike me as a liar.

Also, why is it the reports Buffalo wanting Tebow, most of which were rumor and innuendo carry more weight than the ACTUAL words from the mans mouth?

LoyalSoldier
04-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Thread Summary

McD can't do wrong crowd: Oh this is just BS put out by the Bills owner to cover his butt

McD can't do right crowd: Man McD doesn't know what he is doing!

Me: I love NFL boards sometimes

Northman
04-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Thread Summary

McD can't do wrong crowd: Oh this is just BS put out by the Bills owner to cover his butt

McD can't do right crowd: Man McD doesn't know what he is doing!

Me: I love NFL boards sometimes

Damn, where the hell you been? Welcome back. :lol:

LoyalSoldier
04-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Damn, where the hell you been? Welcome back. :lol:

College man college. I have finals coming up in a week so it is crunch time.

spikerman
04-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Proven NFL player.

Proven off the field chaos.

Proven ME player who punts kicks in practice instead of handing the ball to the ball boy.

Proven practice player who bats passes down when he feels like it, and removes himself from practice when he feels like it.

Proven to get suspended by the NFL.

Proven to get suspended by his own team.

Proven domestic violence against women.

Proven agitator of nightclub nobodies.

Proven to be a RISK.

Lots of proving going on, huh?;) Also a proven Pro Bowl player, but I digress. Maybe you missed the part where I said I supported the trade; I just don't support using a high draft pick to replace a player that the team chose to unload.

Broncolingus
04-23-2010, 09:53 PM
More 'useful' comments and reporting from the NFL...

Glad this important and crucial piece of news came out...

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-23-2010, 10:01 PM
More 'useful' comments and reporting from the NFL...

Glad this important and crucial piece of news came out...

Seriously, who gives a **** if denver panicked or if buffallo lied, both teams will take the field with the warriors they have, and that will determine who is a winner. You guys are taking this media stuff too seriously again.

Shazam!
04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
It's bullshit and a smoke screen. All the talking heads and 'experts and analysts' were ripping Buffalo for their 1st choices all night long.

**** Buffalo anyway. Losers. They're jealous.

Ravage!!!
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
I wonder if he brings up how all the 'experts and anylists' that rip on Denver for our first picks?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 10:45 PM
I've n oticed that the "experts" can't get away from the Tebow thing. We started losing when Bmore had a bye week to realize our interior Oline was elderly and weak. Then everyone followed suit. We grab 2 interior Olinemen and 2 Wrs and all they talk about is Tebow.

Even more, they say that we went from Cutler to Tebow. Ummm...actually, we went from Cutler to Orton, D Thomas, A Smith, Ayers and Tebow. They choose to forget that we got quite a bit from that deal.

dogfish
04-24-2010, 12:37 AM
I've n oticed that the "experts" can't get away from the Tebow thing. We started losing when Bmore had a bye week to realize our interior Oline was elderly and weak. Then everyone followed suit. We grab 2 interior Olinemen and 2 Wrs and all they talk about is Tebow.

Even more, they say that we went from Cutler to Tebow. Ummm...actually, we went from Cutler to Orton, D Thomas, A Smith, Ayers and Tebow. They choose to forget that we got quite a bit from that deal.

enh, it was inevitable wherever tebow went. . .

WARHORSE
04-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Also a proven Pro Bowl player, but I digress. Maybe you missed the part where I said I supported the trade; I just don't support using a high draft pick to replace a player that the team chose to unload.

I think thats a contradiction, but I read the part where you said you liked the trade.

All Im saying is this isnt just a probowl player we traded.

If Brandon was just a probowl player WITHOUT off the field issues, we still dont know if he would have stayed. He would have been asking for alot of money, and business in the NFL isnt about just paying whatever the franchise player wants.

There are lots of these situations taking place every year.

Not to mention the fact that we were actually SAVED by the CBA situation in all this. If not for that, we would be eating DUNG. We would have Orton, Doom, Kuper to sign. We would have lost Scheff for nothing.

Keeping Brandon another year under a tender would mean having both Doom and Marshall in a year where both were probably going to be UFAs.

We can only franchise one. Therefore we would have lost Marshall anyway.

Next year, we still have Kuper to take care of. We have Doom to take care of. We have Orton to take care of or release.

The Broncos are thinking TWO years ahead, and our QB situation is very tenuous when you look at it that way.

So the Tebow pick, the Marshall trade, and all the extra picks we have, INCLUDING draft flexibility next year due to the second second round pick aquired from Marshall, all point towards us signing Doom longterm.

If Orton plays his way into making us squirm, thats good for us. If Orton is valuable, then its a good situation for us.

If Orton does not get it cranked up another notch this year, we are going to have Quinn and Tebow and Brandstater to work with.

This Josh and X teamwork is a good thing for Denver.

scott.475
04-24-2010, 03:27 AM
That ANYONE in the Bills organization would actually think they have ANY standing to criticize another team's decision is laughable, almost full belly laugh, laughable. Only a handful of other teams criticism could be as meaningless. Can you imagine paying attention to advice from the Bills? I almost forgot they were even in the NFL. I'm trying to remember the last great draft they had...Jim Kelly?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-24-2010, 04:31 AM
lol 4 super bowls in a row and nothing to show for it. :D

Superchop 7
04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Wilson: Broncos 'panicked' with Tebow pick; Bills weren't interested
NFL.com Wire Reports

Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson denied that his team tried to trade back into the first round of the NFL draft to take Tim Tebow, and he even said the Denver Broncos "panicked" when they made their move for the Florida quarterback.

Carucci: Broncos gamble on Tebow
Time will tell if the Broncos were crazy or brilliant in drafting Tim Tebow in the first round, but no other choice will be scrutinized as heavily as this one, Vic Carucci writes. Story ...

More
» Wyche: Broncos pull surprise
» Tebow to Broncos makes sense
» Fabiano: Don't expect much from Tebow
"He's a good player, but we had no interest in taking Tebow," Wilson said Friday, according to The Democrat and Chronicle in Rochester, N.Y. "We were not moving up to take Tebow."

But the Broncos did, acquiring the 25th overall pick from the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night in exchange for choices in the second (No. 43), third (No. 70) and fourth (No. 114) rounds. Denver then used its new selection to take Tebow.

Buffalo has quarterbacks Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Brohm on its roster.

The Bills had the No. 9 pick and used it on Clemson running back C.J. Spiller, sparking rumors that former starter Marshawn Lynch is on the trading block. Bills general manager Buddy Nix denied that Thursday night, saying Lynch is "still ours, and we intend for him to be here."

The Bills expect Spiller to make an immediate impact in a new attack being devised by first-year coach Chan Gailey, who doubles as the offensive coordinator. Gailey foresees lining up Spiller in a variety of positions, including receiver, to keep opposing defenses guessing.

"We hope to create doubt and indecision in the defense's mind," Gailey said Friday, according to The Associated Press. "And if we can do that, and he gets the ball in his hands, good things will happen."

Gailey described Spiller as a "big piece of the puzzle," a suggestion that Lynch and fellow running back Fred Jackson -- who split the starting duties last season -- will see less playing time.

"I don't worry about people's feelings. I worry about scoring points," Gailey said. "We're going to do what's best to score points and win football games."

Buffalo ranked 28th in points scored and 30th in yards gained last season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

silkamilkamonico
04-24-2010, 12:55 PM
I believe it.

Jimmy Clausen, who was the second best QB prospect, didn't go until pick #48.

Just think, we could have saved our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks, and got your beloved Tim Tebow until #45.

3 hearty picks in the meat of the draft.

Oh wow.