PDA

View Full Version : North's Bronco draft review 1st round (others pending)

Northman
04-22-2010, 09:35 PM
So uh, yea. The night started off REALLY good. I loved the fact that we were trading back and stocking up picks in a true NE fashion. Even with the Thomas pick i was pretty pleased as he is a sizeable WR that Denver sorely needs now that Marshall is gone. Is he the playmaker that Dez is? Have to wait and see and as a ACC guy i dont remember hearing too much buzz about Thomas over the course of the last few years. Even giving up just a 4th rounder to get Thomas was not a huge loss.

But, we give up 3 draft picks to move up again to get a QB. A position that we pretty much addressed in FA by aquiring Quinn who really hasnt had a legitimate shot with a real organization. Does it mean Quinn would be the answer? No. Orton is obviously not the long term answer either but i really cant understand McD's logic right now. He himself said that the draft was very deep yet for the second straight year in the row it seems like he is shitting himself to only get a couple of players.

Again, this isnt about Tebow's character for me, nor his ability to play in the NFL (although i dont see him succeeding personally). But the position was not one of big need unless McD has just been lying to Orton about having a decent QB. And even then, why not go for a guy like Clausen who i think is rated much higher than Tebow. Is this about using the "wildcat". Really? Are we getting that desperate now that we have to use sillyness like that?

Now, is all lost? No. We still have a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 5th, and a 6th. But, i pray that McD trades up to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd round or least get a 4th back somehow. I also think that this draft signals the verification that this team is rebuilding not now, but for years down the road. Which is not what Bowlen stated when he hired McD but i think Bronco fans who arent happy with his regime right now to brace themselves for some tough times ahead. Whether or not there's method to McD's madness remains to be seen but i am 50/50 right now with the first day. Im not real excited about Tebow as i really think that was a wasted pick in many ways.

I will return tomorrow and the rest of the weekend to finish up my report.

jlarsiii
04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't get it at all either. You can't question McD's logic in making these moves because there doesn't appear to be any. After last year's draft and the first round this year I am really beginning to believe the McD doesn't have the slightest clue what he is doing.

IMO it looks like he has put himself squarely on the hot seat for all of the moves he has made the last 16 months. Maybe now that the cupboard is getting empty he is trying to stock it up for the next HC. Who knows???

I had high hopes, but now I am almost starting to wish we could get Shanny back. Hate to see this team head, apparently, in the wrong direction.

Mr D
04-22-2010, 09:59 PM
I hope you guys realize Xanders and Bowlen are right there in the room with him...

:lol:

Bowlen said he wanted to draft a QB... and he did. They know you need a LEADER at the QB position and this is what you got. Tebow did everything he was asked for at Florida and did it to the BEST... he was the BEST QB in COLLEGE...

Northman
04-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't get it at all either. You can't question McD's logic in making these moves because there doesn't appear to be any. After last year's draft and the first round this year I am really beginning to believe the McD doesn't have the slightest clue what he is doing.

IMO it looks like he has put himself squarely on the hot seat for all of the moves he has made the last 16 months. Maybe now that the cupboard is getting empty he is trying to stock it up for the next HC. Who knows???

I had high hopes, but now I am almost starting to wish we could get Shanny back. Hate to see this team head, apparently, in the wrong direction.

Well, i still want to see what he does with at least another year or two under his belt. But while im expecting to win now his decisions with the team states otherwise. Im just baffled at the Tebow pick because it came at a very high cost for a guy who i think wont be a starter in this league.

honz
04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I hope you guys realize Xanders and Bowlen are right there in the room with him...

Bowlen said he wanted to draft a QB... and he did. They know you need a LEADER at the QB position and this is what you got. Tebow did everything he was asked for at Florida and did it to the BEST... he was the BEST QB in COLLEGE...
No, it's all McDaniels fault...unless Tebow turns out to be good then yes, Bowlen and Xanders were responsible for this pick.

Ravage!!!
04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Silk had a point the other day, when talking about the QB position.

We traded away a QB to get Orton
We traded away a 6th to get Quinn

Now... we traded away a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th to use a 1st on Tebow

and we STILL don't have a QB that can throw the ball.

We traded away Cutler and Marshall to replace them with a guy that 'looks like Marshall'... and Tebow.

Still have picks, but I was getting very excited for this draft. But.... we still used a 2nd 3rd and 4th to take Tebow in the first. Just amazes me.

Northman
04-22-2010, 10:02 PM

McD said Orton was a leader. And why even bother trading for Quinn?

Ravage!!!

Yeah.. and after the college game, everyone was saying "Uhmmm. yeah.. you sure you don't want to be a TE?"

Northman

We traded away Cutler and Marshall to replace them with a guy that 'looks like Marshall'... and Tebow.

Still have picks, but I was getting very excited for this draft. Now.... we still used a 2nd 3rd and 4th to take Tebow in the first. Just amazes me.

I guess instead of all kickers we are going to have all Qb's on the team. Dunno. :lol:

Mr D
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM

Why bother trading for Quinn? All of a sudden everyone is supposed to be able to tell the future now? Do you think the Broncos knew they were going to fall in love with Tebow? Quinn = Depth.

Orton is on a 1 year tender.

WARHORSE
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
This is about taking the best player on your board.

Everyone keeps talkin about TEBOWS passing, and his hitch.

Well, he at a minimum matches up with ANYONE there, and when it comes to winning, no one else comes close.

This is not a dumb pick IF hes the player you value.

As for needs, we are still going to get a center and a guard in this draft, and we have a second and two thirds to do it.

I'll take Asomoah in a heartbeat.

We also have a second in next years draft to parlay into picks.

You dont always pick for need in the first round.

Tebow, can sit and learn here.

Northman
Why bother trading for Quinn? All of a sudden everyone is supposed to be able to tell the future now? Do you think the Broncos knew they were going to fall in love with Tebow? Quinn = Depth.

Orton is on a 1 year tender.

Broncos said they were ready for the draft in Jan. They traded for Quinn in March. :lol:

honz

Why pass on Tebow if he is your guy just because you have a couple other decent QB's on the roster? Would be stupid if you are that high on Tebow.

Northman
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Why pass on Tebow if he is your guy just because you have a couple other decent QB's on the roster? Would be stupid if you are that high on Tebow.

Not a position of need right now. Honestly.

Ravage!!!
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
If he's the player you covet, at THIS point in teh game with so much to fill...... when we needed to look/get players that can produce NOW.... if THIS was the guy that you felt somehow gave you the best chance to 'win' while sitting on the bench.... then McD is proving again that his evaluation skills are pretty bad for the draft.

How many QBs have come out of college that couldn't throw, and 'turned into' a good passer when in the NFL?

Its a passing league. Those past wins he got when at Florida.... they don't carry over. We can't count them as part of Denver Bronco wins.

honz
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Not a position of need right now. Honestly.It is if they feel that Tebow will be better than Orton and Quinn in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if one of our QB's is traded tomorrow.

James Bond
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
So uh, yea. The night started off REALLY good. I loved the fact that we were trading back and stocking up picks in a true NE fashion. Even with the Thomas pick i was pretty pleased as he is a sizeable WR that Denver sorely needs now that Marshall is gone. Is he the playmaker that Dez is? Have to wait and see and as a ACC guy i dont remember hearing too much buzz about Thomas over the course of the last few years. Even giving up just a 4th rounder to get Thomas was not a huge loss.

But, we give up 3 draft picks to move up again to get a QB. A position that we pretty much addressed in FA by aquiring Quinn who really hasnt had a legitimate shot with a real organization. Does it mean Quinn would be the answer? No. Orton is obviously not the long term answer either but i really cant understand McD's logic right now. He himself said that the draft was very deep yet for the second straight year in the row it seems like he is shitting himself to only get a couple of players.

Again, this isnt about Tebow's character for me, nor his ability to play in the NFL (although i dont see him succeeding personally). But the position was not one of big need unless McD has just been lying to Orton about having a decent QB. And even then, why not go for a guy like Clausen who i think is rated much higher than Tebow. Is this about using the "wildcat". Really? Are we getting that desperate now that we have to use sillyness like that?

Now, is all lost? No. We still have a 2nd, 2 3rds, a 5th, and a 6th. But, i pray that McD trades up to get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd round or least get a 4th back somehow. I also think that this draft signals the verification that this team is rebuilding not now, but for years down the road. Which is not what Bowlen stated when he hired McD but i think Bronco fans who arent happy with his regime right now to brace themselves for some tough times ahead. Whether or not there's method to McD's madness remains to be seen but i am 50/50 right now with the first day. Im not real excited about Tebow as i really think that was a wasted pick in many ways.

I will return tomorrow and the rest of the weekend to finish up my report.

Don't bother. Don't need the downer. Go review the Raiders' draft.....

Northman
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
It is if they feel that Tebow will be better than Orton and Quinn in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if one of our QB's is traded tomorrow.

Good luck to them, i dont feel that way. I know, im not the coach but i can voice my displeasure about it.

Northman
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Don't bother. Don't need the downer. Go review the Raiders' draft.....

Thanks for your insightful contribution to the thread.

Northman
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Day 2 went much better overall than day 1 to me although our first pick of day 2 seemed like a major reach for me in terms of overall talent. But, knowing that McD takes whoever whenever it was absolutely no shock. But, the good news is we didnt take a Qb (thank god for small favors). So we end up taking Zane Beadles the OG out of Utah which to me starts the process of improving the Oline. Too high of a pick but im not going to bitch because its still a guy of need and good one.

With the first of our 3rd round draft picks a #80 we select C J.D Walton out of Baylor who i really like as well and was a great selection at that spot. Again, it improves the Oline tremendously and im quite happy with the selection.

With the 87th pick we went with receiver again. Personally, i would of loved to have grabbed Gilyard here because he does bring something to the ST's that we could alleviate from Royal. But, we ended up taking Eric Decker, the WR from Minnesota. He's a big speciman and has great hands and im actually pretty glad we took another big receiver as we have plenty of small ones on the roster right now.

Overall, great second day and not counting the Tebow pick im pretty satisfied with the whole draft right now. QB is still a need i didnt think we had to address right now but if Tebow pans out than great. But, im not counting on it and if the other guys do pan out than we still made progress in my opinion. My only concern is the lack of interests on the defensive side of the ball and although we could address that in the 5th or 6th round it probably wont be any player of any consequence right now. But with the offensive aquisitions hopefully it will bring more balance to this team so as long as Martindale is able to keep the defense where it was at last year with an improved defense on the running game.

Hopefully, day 3 will bring some interesting picks and when all is said and done i will return to give my input there. Go Broncos!

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Looks like you've given up the anger and taken a look at the whole picture draft-wise North. That's really good to see, since you're one of the better posters on this forum. Welcome back.

Northman
04-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Looks like you've given up the anger and taken a look at the whole picture draft-wise North. That's really good to see, since you're one of the better posters on this forum. Welcome back.

Yea, i just needed a few hours to vent and then get through today with some positives. :D

sakic_avs
04-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for your insightful contribution to the thread.

He is entitled to his opinion.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 11:11 PM

cuz we only lost 2 very late future picks and a FB

Northman
04-23-2010, 11:12 PM
He is entitled to his opinion.

Sure, if he actually had one which he didnt. He was trolling, big difference.

Northman
04-23-2010, 11:13 PM
cuz we only lost 2 very late future picks and a FB

In a deep draft those picks could of gone a long way. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
04-23-2010, 11:16 PM
In a deep draft those picks could of gone a long way. :D

but next year's isn't expected to be deep. :hi:

sakic_avs
04-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Sure, if he actually had one which he didnt. He was trolling, big difference.

I don't know what trolling is. It certainly isn't listed in the rules of the site.

Telling someone they cannot post their opinion in your thread while telling others in another thread that they are entitled to their opinion is the definition of a hypocrite.

I'm sorry that others disagreed with you. They are entitled to their opinion. You said so yourself.

Northman
04-23-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't know what trolling is. It certainly isn't listed in the rules of the site.

Telling someone they cannot post their opinion in your thread while telling others in another thread that they are entitled to their opinion is the definition of a hypocrite.

I'm sorry that others disagreed with you. They are entitled to their opinion. You said so yourself.

Trolling is what your doing now. But hey, its ok mate. Im not worried slick. Just like him i just move the trolls to ignore. Got nothing of real value to add welcome to the list champ. :beer:

Ziggy
04-23-2010, 11:21 PM

Still have picks, but I was getting very excited for this draft. But.... we still used a 2nd 3rd and 4th to take Tebow in the first. Just amazes me.

We didn't trade away a QB TO GET ORTON. Orton was a throw in. We gave up next to nothing to get Quinn. That's a poor way to start an argument.

sakic_avs
04-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Trolling is what your doing now. But hey, its ok mate. Im not worried slick. Just like him i just move the trolls to ignore. Got nothing of real value to add welcome to the list champ. :beer:

So trolling means pointing out when someone is a complete hypocrite.

Noted.

I apologize for not understanding the term.

My opinion is that your opinion is over the top, and an overreaction.

McDaniels targeted the players he wanted and manipulated the draft board very skillfully to do what he did to get the players he wanted. I'm sure you are probably much more intelligent than he iis and would have done a much better job drafting.

Just my opinion, of course. I am entitled to it.

Slick
04-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Not a position of need right now. Honestly.

When the three QB's on your roster are Brandstater, Quinn and Orton, IMO it was a position of DIRE need. I'd rather stick needles in my eyeballs than watch either one of those guys play QB for the Denver Broncos.

About 5 posters on this board think Tebow won't ever amount to shit, and that's fine, they may be right. Our head coach and GM thought otherwise.

arapaho2
04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
This is about taking the best player on your board.

Everyone keeps talkin about TEBOWS passing, and his hitch.

Well, he at a minimum matches up with ANYONE there, and when it comes to winning, no one else comes close.

This is not a dumb pick IF hes the player you value.

As for needs, we are still going to get a center and a guard in this draft, and we have a second and two thirds to do it.

I'll take Asomoah in a heartbeat.

We also have a second in next years draft to parlay into picks.

You dont always pick for need in the first round.

Tebow, can sit and learn here.

the problem is ..tebow was the best player on only one board...mcds!....and as for not always drafting for need in the first round...you do if your record is 23 -25 over the past three seasons ...you most definatly draft for imediate needs!!

a developmental qb was not needed..certainly if he was there at a natual pick pull the trigger, but by no means do you blow up your draft to take him...

arapaho2
04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
When the three QB's on your roster are Brandstater, Quinn and Orton, IMO it was a position of DIRE need. I'd rather stick needles in my eyeballs than watch either one of those guys play QB for the Denver Broncos.

About 5 posters on this board think Tebow won't ever amount to shit, and that's fine, they may be right. Our head coach and GM thought otherwise.

slick...when your crapping on orton, quinn and brandstater proclaiming qb is a position of need

then say our coach thought tebow was worth it

i feel like i need to remind you why we have such pathetic qbs

orton....mcd's choice
quinn....mcds choice
branstter..mcds choice

now you wanna crap on the ones we have ...fine...but then dont follow it up insinuating mcd knows qbs when he's the one that brought all three here

Slick
04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
slick...when your crapping on orton, quinn and brandstater proclaiming qb is a position of need

then say our coach thought tebow was worth it

i feel like i need to remind you why we have such pathetic qbs

orton....mcd's choice
quinn....mcds choice
branstter..mcds choice

now you wanna crap on the ones we have ...fine...but then dont follow it up insinuating mcd knows qbs when he's the one that brought all three here

I don't like either of the three's game. Period. Just my opinion 'rap. Obviously McD thinks he can do better with Tebow in the long run or he wouldn't have made the trade to get him.

Please show me where I said McD is a QB guru or that he isn't responsible for the guys that are here now. He absolutely is.

Northman
04-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Its your opinion and thats fine. You say the coach thought otherwise yet the coach has said that Orton is doing fine. Yet the coach goes and gets another former #1 draft choice and then drafts yet another QB when the there still is yet another guy at third string. And yes, i dont think Tebow's game will translate well to the NFL and ive stated my disagreement with the pick. If people want to dwell on the fact that i dont like Tebow as a pro and ignore all the other great comments i made about the rest of the draft than whats really wrong with the picture here? All i want is the coach to be honest about what he wants at the QB position. Either Orton is your man (he is still young) or he isnt. Dont beat around the bush and lie to the guy who has been nothing but a consumate professional about the whole ordeal. If Tebow is strictly a "wildcat" or "gimmick" player than i guess that makes more sense than drafting a QB to be a starter when he hasnt said that he is unhappy with the current guy. And for the record, just because a coach of any organization thinks that a player will be great doesnt mean squat. Im sure the SD coaches thought Leaf was going to be great too. But in the end its just my opinion on the guy and i dont think he will do well. Simply put.

Slick
04-24-2010, 02:57 PM
I never said McD and Co. are right about Tebow either. I realize he could flame out just as easily as he could succeed.

I'm just optimistic about the kid...love his mobility( I really miss John and Jake's ability to pick a 3rd and 5 or a 3rd and 6 with their legs when a play broke down...it's a defensive back breaker), and the fact that he went 31-35 for 482 yards and 3 touchdowns against a well coached Cincinnati team that had a month to prepare for him gives me hope that he MIGHT be able to be have his passing skills improved under the right tutelage in the NFL.

We could have used all the stockpiled picks to strengthen other parts of our team, and I see the point of those toting that line. I do. It's extremely valid and rational. ;)

At the end of today, I would have been pleased, but I still would have thought to myself " But we still have Orton, Quinn and Brandstater as our QB's" and neither of those guys have ever excited me.

I realize that we aren't all going to agree, and that's fine. I'll say it again, we're on the same side here man. I can definitely respect your opinion too. If I came off like an ass yesterday, I apologize.