PDA

View Full Version : We just blew it.

lex
04-27-2008, 09:45 AM
We missed out on all the upper echelon running backs. Gawd do we suck at this. Its going to be fun getting gashed by Tomlinson, McFadden, and Johnson/Charles next year with Henry as our bellcow. This is pathetic.

My grade just went from a B to a D-.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
We could still land a Mike Hart, Tashard Choice, or Steve Slaton. They are not as good as the guys you wanted but they could still be good players.

G_Money
04-27-2008, 09:54 AM
My guess is Hart or Choice. We'll see.

If we don't add one at all I'll be a little irritated, but then Shanny likes to irritate me with RBs lately.

~G

Ziggy
04-27-2008, 09:55 AM
We missed out on all the upper echelon running backs. Gawd do we suck at this. Its going to be fun getting gashed by Tomlinson, McFadden, and Johnson/Charles next year with Henry as our bellcow. This is pathetic.

So you had give the Broncos thier draft grade thus far on who was left on the board and not who they had already chosen? I think you're missing the point of draft grades here.

lex
04-27-2008, 09:56 AM
We could still land a Mike Hart, Tashard Choice, or Steve Slaton. They are not as good as the guys you wanted but they could still be good players.

Bargain basement. We might as well turn to a UFA now.

lex
04-27-2008, 09:57 AM
So you had give the Broncos thier draft grade thus far on who was left on the board and not who they had already chosen? I think you're missing the point of draft grades here.

No, the point of the draft is to improve your personnel and we just missed a huge chance to do that with this RB class. It just passed us by. Theres no longer anyone better than what we have.

MOtorboat
You know, mortgaging a bunch of picks for a third-round draft pick is what killed us last year...moving up to get another Tatum Bell wouldn't do us much good.

Relax and let's see what we get with seven more picks...we need depth, not the possibility of someone you think is a home run...

SmilinAssasSin27
How did we drop from a B to a D-? You do know we don't have a round 3 pick, right? You do know that Omon, Choice, Slaton and a few others are still there right?

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:00 AM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

G_Money
No, the point of the draft is to improve your personnel and we just missed a huge chance to do that with this RB class. It just passed us by. Theres no longer anyone better than what we have.

Let the thing play out first. We're paying Henry, he's gonna get his carries. If we get Choice this year, good. If we wait til next year, well, we better pick a back early, but whatever.

We have other holes. I want to see how we fill those. We can suffer at RB another year, because we're the best RB sufferers in the league with our system. If I sat through Olandis Gary I can sit through Travis Henry.

It's the other stuff I need to see, regardless of the RB upgrade I want.

~G

lex
How did we drop from a B to a D-? You do know we don't have a round 3 pick, right? You do know that Omon, Choice, Slaton and a few others are still there right?

Yeah, I know about all those guys. And thats just it.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Let the thing play out first. We're paying Henry, he's gonna get his carries. If we get Choice this year, good. If we wait til next year, well, we better pick a back early, but whatever.

We have other holes. I want to see how we fill those. We can suffer at RB another year, because we're the best RB sufferers in the league with our system. If I sat through Olandis Gary I can sit through Travis Henry.

~G

And thats why its disgusting.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I know about all those guys. And thats just it.

Says the guy who thought we had a shot at McFadden in the first round.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:03 AM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
Yup. Like I said, its not going to be fun facing Tomlinson, McFadden, and Johnson/Charles 6 times a year.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Says the guy who thought we had a shot at McFadden in the first round.
Exactly. This was a rare chance to upgrade our running back to maximize a strength instead of going with bargain basement BS.

DenBronx
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
ill wager money that mikey picks choice. he is a much better back for our system than charles (whom i liked) anyway.

but damn, i give the chiefs an A+ this year....they got charles in the 3rd.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:06 AM
Exactly. This was a rare chance to upgrade our running back to maximize a strength instead of going with bargain basement BS.

How do you suggest we would have gotten McFadden? Keeping in mind that you know Oakland wouldn't have traded with us and that we would have had to have pried a top 3 pick out of ATL, STL, or MIA.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Charles = Tatum

Slick
You know, mortgaging a bunch of picks for a third-round draft pick is what killed us last year...moving up to get another Tatum Bell wouldn't do us much good.

Relax and let's see what we get with seven more picks...we need depth, not the possibility of someone you think is a home run...

Good point MB. Obviously we all have our favorites, and it's hard not to get caught up in that. I remain optimistic.

BroncoWave
Yup. Like I said, its not going to be fun facing Tomlinson, McFadden, and Johnson/Charles 6 times a year.

Which is why we need to upgrade our run defense, not our running backs.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:08 AM
How do you suggest we would have gotten McFadden? Keeping in mind that you know Oakland wouldn't have traded with us and that we would have had to have pried a top 3 pick out of ATL, STL, or MIA.
Actually, if youre going to go by what I said, youd know that more realistically I was advocating Mendenhall. But if we took a OT in the 1st, then Charles in the 2nd. Didnt we just sign 11 WRs? It was ok provided we didnt miss out on RBs but now that we have missed out on the Rbs.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Actually, if youre going to go by what I said, youd know that more realistically I was advocating Mendenhall. But if we took a OT in the 1st, then Charles in the 2nd. Didnt we just sign 11 WRs? It was ok provided we didnt miss out on RBs but now that we have missed out on the Rbs.

Like I said, drafting any of those RB's you mentioned isn't going to actually help us STOP LT, D-Mac, or LJ. Our running game is just fine. Could it be better? Sure. But I like the route that Shanny is taking toward building more around Cutler instead of continuing to rely on the running game to provide our offense.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Which is why we need to upgrade our run defense, not our running backs.

Yeah, in the 4th round.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Like I said, drafting any of those RB's you mentioned isn't going to actually help us STOP LT, D-Mac, or LJ. Our running game is just fine. Could it be better? Sure. But I like the route that Shanny is taking toward building more around Cutler instead of continuing to rely on the running game to provide our offense.

We just signed 5 players on defense. If youre upset about stopping the run, we could have drafted Goff or Bell in the 4th probably. Were drafting for depth at DT, though. We had a chance to enhance our running game but we blew it. Gawd we suck at this.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
We just signed 5 players on defense. If youre upset about stopping the run, we could have drafted Goff or Bell in the 4th probably. Were drafting for depth at DT, though. We had a chance to enhance our running game but we blew it. Gawd we suck at this.

To me, it seems like we are evolving away from relying on the running game and starting to build around Cutler and Marshall. We don't have the best running game in the league but it will be just fine this season. If Clady can protect Cutler and the other young OL pan out, I think we will have an explosive offense either this season or next.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:19 AM
To me, it seems like we are evolving away from relying on the running game and starting to build around Cutler and Marshall. We don't have the best running game in the league but it will be just fine this season. If Clady can protect Cutler and the other young OL pan out, I think we will have an explosive offense either this season or next.

Know what youre good at and be the best at it you can. We're not doing that. Once again, were perpetually going after bargain basement talent in the running game.

JONtheBRONCO
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah, because Shanahan is known for drafting running backs early... What is all this talk about Denver having one of the best running schemes in the league? Turning average running backs into 1,000 yard rushers. Lets fix our offensive line before we fix our backfield. Remember guys like Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary when our offensive line was at it's prime. Guys like Choice and Hart are still on the board.

G_Money
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Um...we knew this would be a problem when we blew last year's draft positioning for Moss and Thomas and we dumped our 3rd rounder this year.

Did you just figure out this could happen?

You sound awfully whiny when all we've done is say "we need a line for a RB to truly excel here and we finally figured that out" and "our KR game is a joke and we could use some more hands in the passing game."

Sorry you have to suffer through another year with Henry. I know I'm sorry. But better than adding Chris Johnson or Steve Slaton. No DL is good for me with the 1st two picks too.

RB and MLB and OL and DL still, please.

If we add Choice and Goff or Woodyard and Lichtensteiger and...

We have lots of picks and there is lots of talent left. RB wasn't gonna make or break our team this year. It's not the difference between playoff success and a sub .500 season.

The other holes are the key there. Stay focused.

~G

Bronco9798
04-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Drama Queens are up and at em this morning! Good Grief.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Know what youre good at and be the best at it you can. We're not doing that. Once again, were perpetually going after bargain basement talent in the running game.

I know our 2 best players on our offense are Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall. That being the case, why NOT focus on the passing game? With the talent we have in the passing game, we don't NEED at top 5 rushing attack in the league anymore. If all these young guys on the O-Line pan out, we will have an explosive offense, regardless of who our RB is.

Bronco9798
Jamall Charles is an 8-12 carry type of guy. He's the proto-typical tandem RB kind of guy, being the two part of the tandem. He's not a guy who is a feature back. He's no different than a Selvin Young.

lex
Um...we knew this would be a problem when we blew last year's draft positioning for Moss and Thomas and we dumped our 3rd rounder this year.

Did you just figure out this could happen?

You sound awfully whiny when all we've done is say "we need a line for a RB to truly excel here and we finally figured that out" and "our KR game is a joke and we could use some more hands in the passing game."

Sorry you have to suffer through another year with Henry. I know I'm sorry. But better than adding Chris Johnson or Steve Slaton. No DL is good for me with the 1st two picks too.

RB and MLB and OL and DL still, please.

If we add Choice and Goff or Woodyard and Lichtensteiger and...

We have lots of picks and there is lots of talent left. RB wasn't gonna make or break our team this year. It's not the difference between playoff success and a sub .500 season.

The other holes are the key there. Stay focused.

~G

No, if we're going bargain basement we might as well sign UDFAs again. I dont see how you can say a player that carries the ball 20-30 times a game doesnt make a difference. Thats crazy talk.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Jamall Charles is an 8-12 carry type of guy. He's the proto-typical tandem RB kind of guy, being the two part of the tandem. He's not a guy who is a feature back. He's no different than a Selvin Young.

Thats your estimation of what he is.

nevcraw
04-27-2008, 10:28 AM

The Broncos are good at picking running backs out of the top rounds..

Sounds like sour grapes b/c the guy you wanted was taken off the board.
At this point the draft is just a bunch of names, zero production.
I have 100% confidence in Turner/shanny that there will be plenty of RB talent in backfield once the season starts.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:29 AM

If he's the beast you say he is, why did he go after pretty much every major RB in this draft?

lex
I know our 2 best players on our offense are Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall. That being the case, why NOT focus on the passing game? With the talent we have in the passing game, we don't NEED at top 5 rushing attack in the league anymore. If all these young guys on the O-Line pan out, we will have an explosive offense, regardless of who our RB is.

Because running the ball is important.

Bronco9798

It's exactly what he is, thats why the Chiefs took him. Get a clue, Lex, seriously.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
If he's the beast you say he is, why did he go after pretty much every major RB in this draft?

By that same logic, Rashard Mendenhall sucks because he was the 4th RB taken? Come one now.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
It's exactly what he is, thats why the Chiefs took him. Get a clue, Lex, seriously.
Like I said, thats your estimation of what he is. I realize they have Larry Johnson.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Because running the ball is important.

Sure it is. But it's not the end of the world if we're not a top 10 rushing team in the league given the talent we now have in the passing game.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:32 AM
By that same logic, Rashard Mendenhall sucks because he was the 4th RB taken? Come one now.

Sorry, doesn't work that way. Mendenhall was a first rounder. If Charles was as good as you say he is, he probably wouldn't have fallen to the 3rd round.

G_Money
04-27-2008, 10:33 AM
No, if we're going bargain basement we might as well sign UDFAs again. I dont see how you can say a player that carries the ball 20-30 times a game doesnt make a difference. Thats crazy talk.

You can get a RB EVERY year.

Our chances of getting a franchise LT every year are far, far less.

It's not that we're never getting a RB ever again - it might just be a "next year" issue. And our running game will still be "good" even with our flaws at the position.

Stopping the run, keeping Jay alive, getting pressure on the opposing QB...these are problems we have to solve.

RB's the easy fix.

~G

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Like I said, thats your estimation of what he is. I realize they have Larry Johnson.

Which is EXACTLY why they picked him. Not to be a starter toting the pill 20-30 times a game, but as a compliment to LJ who will carry it maybe 8-12 times a game tops.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Which is EXACTLY why they picked him. Not to be a starter toting the pill 20-30 times a game, but as a compliment to LJ who will carry it maybe 8-12 times a game tops.

Whats the point here? I know hes not going to get maximum carries. That doent mean he cant carry the ball more with another team though. He carried a lot at Texas in the 2nd half of the season.

Nomad
04-27-2008, 10:39 AM
Shanahan will concentrate the needs of the defense, get a quality rb, and a quality kicker in the 2nd day. There is still quality left in this draft for Denver's needs!

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Shanahan will concentrate the needs of the defense, get a quality rb, and a quality kicker in the 2nd day. There is still quality left in this draft for Denver's needs!

What? You mean that sky is NOT falling? That's crazy talk!

lex
04-27-2008, 10:42 AM

Meh, we might as well sign a UDFA RB, since everyone is so keen on the bargain basement approach.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Meh, we might as well sign a UDFA RB, since everyone is so keen on the bargain basement approach.

Dude, we finished 9th in the league in rushing last season, a lot of that without Henry. It's not the end of the friggen world. Our running game will be just FINE!

atwater27
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM

We didn't need a running back. So we didn't select one. Kapiche?

lex
04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Dude, we finished 9th in the league in rushing last season, a lot of that without Henry. It's not the end of the friggen world. Our running game will be just FINE!

How well did we run the ball vs Jax and SD? Yeah, we loaded up on stats against the likes of the Chiefs and Raiders but what about teams that have strong defense?

lex
04-27-2008, 10:47 AM

The whole point of the draft is to improve your team, kapiche?

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM

He's just butt hurt because we didn't get his man Charles. Once he has time to recover, he'll see that our running game is in better shape than he thought.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
The whole point of the draft is to improve your team, kapiche?

We've done that, kapiche?

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:49 AM
How well did we run the ball vs Jax and SD? Yeah, we loaded up on stats against the likes of the Chiefs and Raiders but what about teams that have strong defense?

That's what teams with good run defenses do. They stop the run. We ranked 9th in the league in rushing last season. That didn't happen by accident.

lex
He's just butt hurt because we didn't get his man Charles. Once he has time to recover, he'll see that our running game is in better shape than he thought.
No, regardless of how well it does or poorly it does, it could have been better if we wouldnt have blown this opportunity.

G_Money
If we actually add Tashard Choice I'm gonna argue with you - A LOT - about bargain basement.

Tashard Choice is better for us than Chris Johnson, Steve Slaton or Jamaal Charles woud be.

We'll see in a few picks.

~G

tubby
04-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Big Hoss #20

:salute:

lex
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
We've done that, kapiche?
Not optimally. Only incrementally. And all because Shanahan blew a 2nd round pick on Walker and didnt take Hester. We have to forgoe a bigger opportunity to improve our team 2 years later.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
No, regardless of how well it does or poorly it does, it could have been better if we wouldnt have blown this opportunity.

There are alot of positions we could have improved on. LT, and WR/KR were all needs. Travis Henry is a good RB. Jamal Charles would not have vastly improved our running game.

Slick
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM

I agree, we sucked hind tit against the physical defenses, but hopefully with Clady, a healthy Nalen, Hamilton, that should improve.

We have a lot of needs. Too many to fill in one draft, IMO.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
There are alot of positions we could have improved on. LT, and WR/KR were all needs. Travis Henry is a good RB. Jamal Charles would not have vastly improved our running game.
Sure he would have. He would have had a better APC than Young because the runs that Young cant finish in the endzone, Charles takes to the house. He scores points on those runs and keeps our red zone offense from being exposed less frequently.

Buff
04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
We blew it by missing out on any DT's that could have come in and made a difference (Sims, Harrison, Fluellen)... I thank our lucky stars we didn't waste any picks on RB.

BroncoWave
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
Sure he would have. He would have had a better APC than Young because the runs that Young cant finish in the endzone, Charles takes to the house. He scores points on those runs and keeps our red zone offense from being exposed less frequently.

We are building for the future. We aren't going to make the playoffs in 08. Having said that, we can always draft a stud RB next season. It's not as often that a franchise LT comes around. And Royal might not have been the best pick but he fills a big need and will contribute immediately.

slim
04-27-2008, 10:57 AM
You guys crack me up

SmilinAssasSin27
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
we used FA to fill holes. No DT is gonna start. neither is a RB. A LB MIGHT, but it dependes on Niko is how Denver views him.

Nomad
04-27-2008, 11:03 AM
You guys crack me up

YEP! Forfeit this season because not everyone got their picks ! I must have forgot my crystal ball and foreseen the BRONCOS future a bust!

Tned
04-27-2008, 11:11 AM
On the clock, surely he doesn't take an RB. Not biggest need now.

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Lichtensteiger was a fantastic pick. I am displeased with the Eddie Royal pick but couldn't be happier with the upgrades along the offensive line. There's still plenty of intriguing workhorse-type backs available. Don't panic. Rubin is still on the board...

topscribe
04-27-2008, 11:54 AM

~G

Gary wasn't too hard to suffer through, was he? 1,159 yards in 12 games?

And if Travis picks up where he left off when injured, I don't think that
would be so difficult, either. I mean, having a RB who is #1 in the league in
rushing, as he was, wouldn't cause me too many sleepless nights.

And Young can score from anywhere on the field.

People talk about what if these guys get injured again. Well, what if we
would have brought in Stewart, and he would have been injured? Shanahan
said that every player is one play away from having his season ended. That's
just the way it is.

Henry reportedly has been going through special training this offseason to
increase his effectiveness and to arrive in better shape. Young said last
year he planned to put on about 10 pounds.

What the Broncos needed, the Broncos have done: increase their blocking
capabilities on offense and their run support and pass rush on defense. Let's
see what they do before we throw the entire team under the bus.

-----

topscribe
04-27-2008, 11:57 AM

Right. Every time Charles touches the ball, he takes it to the house. :rolleyes:

The Broncos have Young. Young impressed last year: me, other fans, and his
teammates. Forget Charles. He's not here. Young is. :coffee:

-----

atwater27
04-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Besides Clady, I think we are blowing this draft. And with the wacky ass selections, I am now glad we didn't trade down. There would be an entire circus of wacky asses to sign.

DenBronx
04-27-2008, 12:08 PM
WTF! I wake up and we select a freakin CB??? In the 4th round???

lex
04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Right. Every time Charles touches the ball, he takes it to the house. :rolleyes:

The Broncos have Young. Young impressed last year: me, other fans, and his
teammates. Forget Charles. He's not here. Young is. :coffee:

-----

And Ill watch him get tackled inside the 20. And then maybe hold my nose.

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Williams is an extremely hard hitter with elite speed. He's short and isn't a great man-to-man player. In zone coverage, however, he's got great instincts. Shanahan may convert him to free safety; although, he looks like a prototype nickel back to me. I'm worried about DT, ILB, and RB but think that this is a solid pick. I'll wait until the draft is over before declaring that Denver has "blown" their pick. Guion, Rubin, and Bryant are all still on the board as is Nick Hayden and Jonathan Goff.

Bryant is now gone. Here comes the run on DT's! Denver may trade up here.

atwater27
04-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Williams is an extremely hard hitter with elite speed. He's short and isn't a great man-to-man player. In zone coverage, however, he's got great instincts. Shanahan may convert him to free safety; although, he looks like a prototype nickel back to me. I'm worried about DT, ILB, and RB but think that this is a solid pick. I'll wait until the draft is over before declaring that Denver has "blown" their pick. Guion, Rubin, and Bryant are all still on the board as is Nick Hayden and Jonathan Goff.

He is waaay too little to play safety. And he does hit hard, but has already given him a shoulder injury. You can only pack so much wallop at 180 going up against 200 plus pound receivers, running backs and tight ends.

WARHORSE
04-27-2008, 12:22 PM

Hes also a guy who has never had a football offseason. He has never been bulked up for the rigors of playing NFL football. Unlike most runningbacks who spend their offseasons working out, Jamaal Charles has always been involved in track for Texas.

He has quite a bit of upside once the team that drafts him starts working him out and bulking him up. He will lose a little speed, but he will gain stamina and endurance needed to be more than a 8-12 RB.

This guy has vision and ability untapped. A good pick.

scott.475
04-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Cracks me up how worked up people get. There are no guarantees. Last year everybody thought we had a great draft and great offseason, and we really sucked. This year all kinds of people are panicking about this draft. It is all a crap shoot, none of these guys we failed to draft are guaranteed to be NFL successes.

Ever notice how the same teams always tend to pick at the top of the draft, yet continue to suck year after year?

I have no heartburn over this draft so far. May be conservative choices, but I'm fine with that.

topscribe
04-27-2008, 12:48 PM
And Ill watch him get tackled inside the 20. And then maybe hold my nose.

:confused:

-----

topscribe
04-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Not optimally. Only incrementally. And all because Shanahan blew a 2nd round pick on Walker and didnt take Hester. We have to forgoe a bigger opportunity to improve our team 2 years later.

I still agree with the move on Walker. Because Walker later became injured
and then went sour over Marshall doesn't mean it wasn't a good move at the
time. Everybody was raving about it during Walker's first year here. Had he
not been injured last year, he would have been a god here.

-----

atwater27
04-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Our second day picks have been disastrous. My faith in Shanahan has cracked wide open.

atwater27
04-27-2008, 01:11 PM
I still agree with the move on Walker. Because Walker later became injured
and then went sour over Marshall doesn't mean it wasn't a good move at the
time. Everybody was raving about it during Walker's first year here. Had he
not been injured last year, he would have been a god here.

-----

Trading for Javon was a masterstroke. It could have worked out. it just wasn't in the cards.

BroncoJoe
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Our second day picks have been disastrous. My faith in Shanahan has cracked wide open.

Well, I can certainly see your frustration.

Especially considering these guys haven't taken a single snap or played in an NFL game yet.

Reading through some of these threads has made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

Thanks, guys!

atwater27
04-27-2008, 01:14 PM
Well, I can certainly see your frustration.

Especially considering these guys haven't taken a single snap or played in an NFL game yet.

Reading through some of these threads has made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

Thanks, guys!

Hey, if your cool with having the 30th rated run defense, more power to you.

BroncoJoe
04-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Hey, if your cool with having the 30th rated run defense, more power to you.

Talk to me after this year, not last.

atwater27
04-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Don't get me wrong Joe, I have not judged the quality of the individuals drafted. I am questioning the judgement of what positions we are drafting, and the likelihood of the players we selected being available in other rounds.

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 01:24 PM
There's still a lot of good DT's waiting to hear their numbers called. The Carlton Powell pick was atrocious. I come from a Hokie family. I'm not trying to dump on Beamer's players, but this guy wasn't even the 5th best 2-gap prospect available at this pick.

4th round grade: B+
5th round grade: D

scott.475
04-27-2008, 01:30 PM
SI's top draft busts of the modern era (as of 2005):

Brian Bosworth LB, Supplemental Draft, Seattle Seahawks, 1987

Aundray Bruce LB, No. 1 overall, Atlanta Falcons, 1988

Tony Mandarich OT, No. 2 overall, Green Bay Packers, 1989

Sammie Smith RB, No. 9 overall, Dolphins, 1989

Andre Ware QB, No. 7 overall pick, Detroit Lions, 1990

Steve Emtman DE, No. 1 overall, Colts, 1992

Quentin Coryatt LB, Indianapolis Colts, No. 2 overall, 1992

Derek Brown TE, No. 14 overall, New York Giants, 1992

David Klingler QB, No. 6 overall, Cincinnati Bengals, 1992

Rick Mirer QB, No. 2 overall, Seattle Seahawks, 1993

Eric Curry DE, No. 6 pick overall, Buccaneers, 1993

Heath Shuler QB, No. 3 overall, Redskins 1994

Trev Alberts LB, No. 5, Indianapolis Colts, 1994

Ki-Jana Carter RB, No. 1 overall, Cincinnati Bengals, 1995

Lawrence Phillips RB, No. 6 overall, Rams, 1996

Ryan Leaf QB, No. 2 overall, Chargers 1998

Curtis Enis RB, No. 5 pick overall, Chicago Bears, 1998

Akili Smith No. 3 overall, Cincinnati Bengals, 1998

Cade McNown QB, No. 12 overall, Bears, 1999

Only TWO fell outside of being drafted in the top ten, over half were TOP 5, and not a Bronco in the bunch! Proof that being a high draft pick is no guarantee of NFL success. I remember the hype over a bunch of these guys before they were drafted, and how they were always going to be the next coming.

topscribe
04-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Don't get me wrong Joe, I have not judged the quality of the individuals drafted. I am questioning the judgement of what positions we are drafting, and the likelihood of the players we selected being available in other rounds.

Let's don't discount the FA moves this year, AW. The Broncos have done a lot
toward shoring up the run defense with the likes of Niko, Boss, Robertson, and
putting D.J. back in his best position . . . and canning Bates.

And Ekuban is reportedly back, and the others have another year's
experience under their respective belts.

I truly believe they will be back in the top ten in that category, maybe top
five, where they once were.

Nonetheless, a rookie DT isn't going to make much of an impact his year,
probably.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
04-27-2008, 01:37 PM
If you don't understand why we drafted a running back, wide receiver or a cornerback - feel free to take a look at our players there, how long their contracts are and then it'll probably make sense. TIA.

lex
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM
If you don't understand why we drafted a running back, wide receiver or a cornerback - feel free to take a look at our players there, how long their contracts are and then it'll probably make sense. TIA.

We could always sign UDFA RBs...we're that good. YNW.

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM
SI's top draft busts of the modern era (as of 2005).

Ryan Sims should be on that list...

scott.475
04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
http://drafthistory.com/years.html

You can go through the draft classes by year. A lot of the top picks from the last several years are still playing, but the real question is, in hindsight, were most of them worth the spot they were taken? Some yes, some no, some absolutely not...no guarantees.

Timmy!
04-27-2008, 04:46 PM
This thread=:Cry::Cry::Cry::Cry::pout::pout:

That is all.

NameUsedBefore
04-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I wasn't aware the Denver Broncos, of all teams, has ever needed to spend a pick, much less a high one, on running-back. My memory is sketchy, so maybe I just don't remember all the blockbuster trades we made to get up to blue-chip guys like T.D., Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis...

scott.475
04-27-2008, 06:55 PM
I wasn't aware the Denver Broncos, of all teams, has ever needed to spend a pick, much less a high one, on running-back. My memory is sketchy, so maybe I just don't remember all the blockbuster trades we made to get up to blue-chip guys like T.D., Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell, Clinton Portis...

Funny, isn't it? The Broncos either have a line that everyone's grandmother could run 1000 yards behind, so their RBs really aren't that special; OR, they need to burn high picks on RBs!

It's like, which is it? Maybe, just maybe, we have a good scheme AND a fairly good ability to judge RB talent.

Hopefully Mike, and everyone else at Dove Valley is paying attention here, because we are all better prepared to run and coach them than anyone there :D

Also, I don't particularly dislike THenry, but the one RB we did spend big money on may well end up being a bust for us.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Williams is an extremely hard hitter with elite speed. He's short and isn't a great man-to-man player. In zone coverage, however, he's got great instincts. Shanahan may convert him to free safety; although, he looks like a prototype nickel back to me. I'm worried about DT, ILB, and RB but think that this is a solid pick. I'll wait until the draft is over before declaring that Denver has "blown" their picks. Guion, Rubin, and Bryant are all still on the board as is Nick Hayden and Jonathan Goff.

Are you ready yet?

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Shanny's finally figured out that he doesn't have the eye to draft talent at RB like he used too, and that's ok, because he has been doing a great job in all the other areas.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 07:28 PM

poorti$$$ to WAS for Champ and tater..

Not really sure you can call gary, mike or tater blue chips..

maybe cow chips but certainly not blue chips..

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2008, 07:31 PM

The only "blue chip" RB's Shanny has got out of the draft was TD and POrtis.

Everyone else was very good system RB's, who basically failed when they left.

Blue chips are good enough to play in any system.

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Good O-line > Good back

You can have all the tallent in the world at RB, but if there is no one to block for him then he isn't going to do anything. I would rather have a good line that can make a normal back look like a probowler than a great back that has to make 20 moves before he can finally run forward.

silkamilkamonico
04-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Good O-line > Good back

You can have all the tallent in the world at RB, but if there is no one to block for him then he isn't going to do anything. I would rather have a good line that can make a normal back look like a probowler than a great back that has to make 20 moves before he can finally run forward.

See LJ in KC last year.

See the Vikings RB. Adrian the truth? Yes. But all those RB's averaged over 4.5 ypc. Even Darren Sproles for SD averaged over 5.0 ypc. Edgerrin James went from all world, to all nothing in Arizona. When LJ, and Priest were doing awesome in KC, even Blaylock averaged 4.8 ypc. He goes to NYJ for big money and can't even make the team.

Truer words have never been spoken.

topscribe
04-27-2008, 09:18 PM

The only "blue chip" RB's Shanny has got out of the draft was TD and POrtis.

Everyone else was very good system RB's, who basically failed when they left.

Blue chips are good enough to play in any system.

Well, except for Mike Anderson, I think. He was just old, that's all. Had he left
in his prime, I believe he would have done just fine. I would have him as a
"blue chip," too, even though he was misused as a FB for a while.

But MA a "cow chip," JR? You are giving a new meaning to fantasy football . . .

-----

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Well, except for Mike Anderson, I think. He was just old, that's all. Had he left
in his prime, I believe he would have done just fine. I would have him as a
"blue chip," too, even though he was misused as a FB for a while.

But MA a "cow chip," JR? You are giving a new meaning to fantasy football . . .

-----

I would rate MA as that too. He was a very consistent runner. He was never flashy, but he would always fall forward and get the tough yards.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 09:43 PM
I would rate MA as that too. He was a very consistent runner. He was never flashy, but he would always fall forward and get the tough yards.

but not BLUE chip running back correct?

topscribe
04-27-2008, 09:48 PM

MA got 1,500 yards at a 5.0 clip as a rookie. Then, after several years of
the asinine way the Broncos used him at FB, he finally came back to RB and
achieved 1,014 yards in 15 games, at the age of 32.

Was he another John Riggins? No. (But he might have been.) But for the
Broncos, he was blue-chip, and I have had a hard time forgiving them for the
way they misused him.

-----

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 09:53 PM
MA got 1,500 yards at a 5.0 clip as a rookie. Then, after several years of
the asinine way the Broncos used him at FB, he finally came back to RB and
achieved 1,014 yards in 15 games, at the age of 32.

Was he another John Riggins? No. (But he might have been.) But for the
Broncos, he was blue-chip, and I have had a hard time forgiving them for the
way they misused him.

-----

a good solid player but hardly a blue chipper IMO we will have to agree to disagree..

Blue chip is a top five RB in my play book.. If he were one he would have been left alone, but someone in their infinant wisdom moved him to FB.. I suspect it was NOT bobbies idea..

lex
04-27-2008, 09:55 PM
a good solid player but hardly a blue chipper IMO we will have to agree to disagree..

Blue chip is a top five RB in my play book.. If he were one he would have been left alone, but someone in their infinant wisdom moved him to FB.. I suspect it was NOT bobbies idea..

If Mike Anderson ran for 1500 yards, Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis would have ran for 1700 yards. And it would have been a bigger disparity if over 16 games. Weve only had two elite RBs in the Shanahan era. The rest of the time its been bargain basement. Shanahan must like bargain basement because it feeds his ego. Its like, "look at what I did"... He sucks but rushed for 1200 yards...I did that...yay me."

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
but not BLUE chip running back correct?

He was as close to being "Blue chip" without actually being "Blue chip" Like I said before he wasn't a flashy runner, but he was consistent. You knew when he got the ball he was going to produce.

MOtorboat
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
He was as close to being "Blue chip" without actually being "Blue chip" Like I said before he wasn't a flashy runner, but he was consistent. You knew when he got the ball he was going to produce.

I agree with this assessment he was until his smoking ordeal a great team player..

topscribe
04-27-2008, 10:21 PM

And that is why you need to go back and re-read my comment, JR. I said to
the Broncos he was blue-chip.

You apparently are projecting MA out into the world of Adran Peterson & co.,
which I never did.

I did say he would "do just fine" for another team. But I didn't rate him a
"blue-chip" beyond the Broncos because he never got to play enough to
gauge whether he would be. I do believe it was possible, however. But
we'll never know, will we?

-----

topscribe
04-27-2008, 10:27 PM
I agree with this assessment he was until his smoking ordeal a great team player..

And after his "smoking ordeal." You can't tell me he wasn't a great team player
in his last year here, or any of the other years, where he simply assumed FB
duties without murmuring, although he knew he was a good tailback.

That is a team player.

-----

TXBRONC
04-27-2008, 10:40 PM

You're criticizing the move of Anderson to fullback but the fact is he wasn't going to start ahead of Portis. While Mike wasn't on the same level as Howard Griffith as blocker he was still better than any of the guys that came after him. Also if Shanahan didn't see him as one of his best 11 players at that time he would not have started at fullback.

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Mike Anderson was a freight train. He had a great line in front of him, but don't discount his toughness. He gave us a couple monster years and when asked to make an unselfish move, he did it. I've got nothing but love and respect for the guy. I think his 1st full year as a starter he was every bit as good as any Broncos halfback I've seen outside of Portis and Terrell Davis. Fantastic athlete.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Mike Anderson was a freight train. He had a great line in front of him, but don't discount his toughness. He gave us a couple monster years and when asked to make an unselfish move, he did it. I've got nothing but love and respect for the guy. I think his 1st full year as a starter he was every bit as good as any Broncos halfback I've seen outside of Portis and Terrell Davis. Fantastic athlete.

He was a great guy to have on the team but he wasnt close to being in the same class as Portis or Terrell.

NameUsedBefore
04-27-2008, 10:48 PM
...guys I was being sarcastic with the 'blue-chip' phrase :lol:

The fact is that the Broncos have gotten by with late-round-no-round running-backs since T.D. and thus it is ridiculous to pounce on Shanahan for not taking a high-round 'back when, historically, we've never needed one. I didn't realize people were taking that post at face-value :lol:

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
He was a great guy to have on the team but he wasnt close to being in the same class as Portis or Terrell.

In some ways, no one in NFL history was as good as TD or Portis during their time in Denver. That hardly detracts from Anderson's value.

Anderson was also a formidable, fearless pass blocker and a special teams standout. Thus, in some respects he was a more complete back than Portis.

LoyalSoldier
04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
...guys I was being sarcastic with the 'blue-chip' phrase :lol:

The fact is that the Broncos have gotten by with late-round-no-round running-backs since T.D. and thus it is ridiculous to pounce on Shanahan for not taking a high-round 'back when, historically, we've never needed one. I didn't realize people were taking that post at face-value :lol:

To hell with sarcasm! We prefer absolute strictness!!!!!!!!one one 111!1!! ;)

topscribe
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing this . . . :coffee:

-----

sneakers
04-27-2008, 11:27 PM

You could clone Barry Sanders, but if you don't have anyone to block for him, he will retire sooner than the original Barry Sanders.

lex
04-27-2008, 11:29 PM
You could clone Barry Sanders, but if you don't have anyone to block for him, he will retire sooner than the original Barry Sanders.

Did you even read the thread? It wasnt about missing on one guy and it wasnt about forgoing OLine.

sneakers
04-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Did you even read the thread? It wasnt about missing on one guy and it wasnt about forgoing OLine.

Nope...didn't bother to read all 9 pages :D

r8rh8r
04-28-2008, 06:36 AM

Barry Sanders didn't have anyone to block for him.

NameUsedBefore
04-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Barry Sanders had a few solid guys on the line (albeit some were good because of Barry Sanders, which is a rarity in the NFL)... but it's not like he ever actually ran the play like he was supposed to.

lex
04-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Mike, you might want to reconcile your handiwork where your admonitions are concerned. Its hypocracy abound.

Tned
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Mike, you might want to reconcile your handiwork where your admonitions are concerned. Its hypocracy abound.

If you have a message for the mods, keep it private. When you send them the private message thank them for dealing with the fallout of your rants over the last 24 hours.

lex
04-28-2008, 03:12 PM
If you have a message for the mods, keep it private. When you send them the private message thank them for dealing with the fallout of your rants over the last 24 hours.

Youre out of your mind. The thread titles were clearly labeled. No one had to access any of my threads.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Hmm. Shall we start the count-down?

Tned
04-28-2008, 03:16 PM
Youre out of your mind. The thread titles were clearly labeled. No one had to access any of my threads.

Don't call a mod out in public again. Are we clear?

GEM
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
Count down for what. Instead of provoking me, maybe you should post in your happy little thread of likeminded sheep.

Yet, you have gone into 3 different threads with the same post calling out a mod....who's provoking again? Or is it baiting? If you're this angry over the draft...perhaps you should take a break, it's just football man.

tubby
04-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Hmm. Shall we start the count-down?

Mike
04-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Lex,

Beefs thread had a specific aim (i.e. positive views), he specifically asked for what people were happy about and requested negative nellies to stay out. This thread, on the other hand, had no such request. That is the difference...sorry if you can't see that.

GEM
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM

You doofus....we're already at 8. :lol:

lex
04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Yet, you have gone into 3 different threads with the same post calling out a mod....who's provoking again? Or is it baiting? If you're this angry over the draft...perhaps you should take a break, it's just football man.

Like i said in the other thread. I dont mind taking it but it only seems to matter when Im dishing it out. Then everyone gets the kidglove treatment.

BroncoJoe
04-28-2008, 03:26 PM

lex
04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Lex,

Beefs thread had a specific aim (i.e. positive views), he specifically asked for what people were happy about and requested negative nellies to stay out. This thread, on the other hand, had no such request. That is the difference...sorry if you can't see that.

What difference does it make. His thread by its very nature was antagonistic. Look at the contents of this thread...and now he wants a thread that is both antagonistic and also a safe haven. OK, its not like this thread was not clearly labeled. If it bothers others that much, they need not access that thread. Why is a request A) necessary and B) valid?

GEM
04-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Like i said in the other thread. I dont mind taking it but it only seems to matter when Im dishing it out. Then everyone gets the kidglove treatment.

The reason you got it is because you went into a thread that SPECIFICALLY asked for no negative bs and posted a one line negative post. People don't appreciate it. Had it not been for that, you can post what you want, where you want, but stick to the subject. And like the title of that thread stated, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

Just calm down lex...it's just football. ;) We all love our Broncos, but really there's no reason to go overboard as you have all day. You'll put yourself in an early grave. ;)

Tned
04-28-2008, 03:40 PM
What difference does it make. His thread by its very nature was antagonistic. Look at the contents of this thread...and now he wants a thread that is both antagonistic and also a safe haven. OK, its not like this thread was not clearly labeled. If it bothers others that much, they need not access that thread. Why is a request A) necessary and B) valid?

I like to think we give people more rope on Broncosforums.com than any other message board on the Net. I suggested you start fashioning yours into a rope ladder to climb out of the hole you have dug, rather than into a hangman's noose.

Take your complaints PRIVATE!

Nature Boy
04-28-2008, 06:42 PM

I don't know how you can say that.

After we drafted Clady, 5 OTs(including Alberts) were drafted in the next 9 positions. The Texans also drafted 1 with their #26. Had we not grab Clady when we did, we'd be licking our chops right now.

Mendenhall, who I too thought was the best RB in the draft dropped down to the 23rd behind Stewart and Felix Jones. Apparently Coach didn't think too highly of Mendenhall or he would have made a move for him(trade 1st & 2nd rd of 09').

tubby
07-08-2008, 03:16 PM
:lol:

Kaylore
07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I like to think we give people more rope on Broncosforums.com than any other message board on the Net.

You haven't been to the Mane before, have you?

Jwalk - JayCutty6Goes - CasinoRoyal
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Seems like alot of people over reacted on draft day yeah?

Northman
07-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Seems like alot of people over reacted on draft day yeah?

The last couple of years have been doozies.

07-09-2008, 11:40 AM
We needed Clady more than anything. RB wont do crap when there is no holes, And for the record when you draft a franchise QB you better draft or have a franchise LT to protect him. Big Jay took way to many blindside shots last year for me.

Northman
07-09-2008, 11:45 AM
We needed Clady more than anything. RB wont do crap when there is no holes, And for the record when you draft a franchise QB you better draft or have a franchise LT to protect him. Big Jay took way to many blindside shots last year for me.

There's nothing wrong with drafting a quality back but you hit the nail on the head. It really only boils down to IMMEDIATE priorities and your best OPPORTUNITIES. The year we got Jay it was a chance that we just couldnt pass up to get a future Qb. Some thought that Jake was the answer if we could of gotten a stud DE or DT. But as from what we have seen already Jay can make a lot of throws that Jake couldnt and with time he will prove to be a much better Qb than Jake ever was. Jake was fine, just not the ultimate answer there. This past year we noticed how not only the running game inside the redzone but the pass blocking was sketchy at best. Some of that was due to injury but never the less after ten years its time to upgrade or reinforce that area to as you said "protect the Qb of the future". If things fall into place this year we will either be drafting RB early (depending on the guys we have now and how well they do) or going for WR because of Brandon's off field problems.

07-09-2008, 11:46 AM

No next year is when you want to draft a RB, Wells, Knowshon, McCoy and many more dude. Mc fadden wont be worth nothing, LT at the age where backs start to wear down, LJ wont last long he runs to upright and is coming off a major injury, Jamaal charles is nice but he wont be carrying the rock more than 10 times a game. We got a back with 2nd round talent on the 2nd day of the draft... We got a LT thats going to help the running game and passing game. You was seriously trippen out on draft day :beer: