PDA

View Full Version : Here Are The Lastest Cuts

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 04:03 PM
We were just talking Ernster possibly making the roster, well scratch that idea.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mason/2007/08/28/ernster-among-tuesday-departures/

Earlier in the morning, I wrote about the preseason numbers comparison between punters Paul Ernster and Todd Sauerbrun.

Bad timing.

By the time the Broncos took the field Tuesday, Ernster was not present. Nor was safety and fellow special-teamer Quentin Harris, as they joined eight other non-injured players who missed both practices the last two days.

“Paul’s worked extremely hard and hopefully hell catch on with another team,” Head Coach Mike Shanahan said. “Theres not very many people that can both kick off and punt, so he brings a lot to the table.”

Ernster’s departure leaves Todd Sauerbrun to handle punts and kickoffs.

“I’m just happy with the way it turned out and I’m thankful for the opportunity Mike Shanahan and Scott O’Brien gave me,” Sauerbrun said. I’m very appreciative and I’m going to do the best to make the most of it.”

“I need more reps in the games. I am where I want to be, but I just need more game reps, so to speak, so I think this week will be good for me. I’ll be able to take all the reps in (Thursday’s preseason) game. I think that’s exactly what I need.”

Among the others absent Tuesday, there were no changes from the day before, which meant that the defensive line absorbed the losses of tackle Demetrin Veal and end Kenard Lang, both of whom played in all 16 games last year.

“It’s always tough,” Shanahan said. “You take a guy like Kenard Lang; Kenard’s a veteran player (and) a first-round draft choice that gives you everything hes got. Obviously (we’re) going with some younger players. But (Lang is( a true pro, the way he practiced, the way he played, tried to help the young guys. We tried to be fair and let him go a little earlier just so hopefully they can get a chance to play for another team.

“Same thing for Demetrin Veal. Theres a guy that worked extremely hard. We let them go a week earlier than they would normally, so hopefully they can catch on. Thats the tough part of the job. Guys that worked extremely hard and maybe you get a little younger on certain positions and you go a different direction.”

Shanahan also commented on wide receiver David Kircus, who is no longer with the Broncos after a 20-month stint that saw him rise from Subway refugee to the active roster for all 16 games in 2006 before a 2007 season that saw an off-the-field incident and a tumble to the fourth team of the depth chart.

“David has got great speed; (he) was a competitor,” Shanahan said. “We just decided to go in a different direction, but he’s got some talent.”

The other players who missed both of the last two days included wide receiver David Terrell, running back Cedric Cobbs, fullback Troy Fleming, tight end Teyo Johnson and kicker Brandon Pace.

Retired_Member_001
08-28-2007, 04:10 PM
Honestly I was not impressed with Ernster at all last season. I think he managed to do alright early on in the season but as the season went on it was clear he was no good. There is no point having Ernster on your team when you have one of the best punters in the league on your team.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Honestly I was not impressed with Ernster at all last season. I think he managed to do alright early on in the season but as the season went on it was clear he was no good. There is no point having Ernster on your team when you have one of the best punters in the league on your team.

True he faded down the stretch, last season but this year he was punting noticeably better than Todd in my opinion. I also think he is a better directionally punter than Todd is.

Retired_Member_001
08-28-2007, 04:19 PM
True he faded down the stretch, last season but this year he was punting noticeably better than Todd in my opinion. I also think he is a better directionally punter than Todd is.

Ernster has potential definitley but I personally believe that at the moment Todd Sauerbrun is better.

That's just my opinion.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Ernster has potential definitley but I personally believe that at the moment Todd Sauerbrun is better.

That's just my opinion.

Apparently Shanahan thinks Sauerbrun is the better choice.

Lonestar
08-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Personally he faded the moment Todd was cut. It was IMHO his get out of jail free card he no longer had the threat of Todd hanging over his head.

from what I remember of Todd his directional punting was in 2005 far superior to Paul's but then of course he was a kid at the time. He was alos better at pooching into the red zone.

I ave not studied the tapes this year like I have in years past so I can't tell you other than ONE really bad kick in one game that Todd had the punting and K?O have not left a lasting impression on me.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Personally he faded the moment Todd was cut. It was IMHO his get out of jail free card he no longer had the threat of Todd hanging over his head.

from what I remember of Todd his directional punting was in 2005 far superior to Paul's but then of course he was a kid at the time. He was alos better at pooching into the red zone.

I ave not studied the tapes this year like I have in years past so I can't tell you other than ONE really bad kick in one game that Todd had the punting and K?O have not left a lasting impression on me.

The stats are right up at the top of who was actually better, nevertheless its a moot point because it's Sauerbrun's job.

Lonestar
08-28-2007, 09:01 PM
The stats are right up at the top of who was actually better, nevertheless its a moot point because it's Sauerbrun's job.

I saw the original post and good work on getting them together.

I just remember it was the same way last year. Todd was suspended and ernster was kicking everything out of sight, not as good as this year, but good. then Todd came back from suspension and gone in the same day. a week or so later ernster started his slide.

I just do not trust him to do anything different this year. Of course it would not be the first time we cut someone that becomes an all pro kicker.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 09:09 PM
I saw the original post and good work on getting them together.

I just remember it was the same way last year. Todd was suspended and ernster was kicking everything out of sight, not as good as this year, but good. then Todd came back from suspension and gone in the same day. a week or so later ernster started his slide.

I just do not trust him to do anything different this year. Of course it would not be the first time we cut someone that becomes an all pro kicker.

It's always a risk no matter who you pick. Personally I think Ernster is a better directional kick and the preseason stats seem to bare that out. However, he was cut today so we live and die with how Todd fares.

Lonestar
08-28-2007, 09:11 PM
It's always a risk no matter who you pick. Personally I think Ernster is a better directional kick and the preseason stats seem to bare that out. However, he was cut today so we live and die with how Todd fares.

:rolleyes:I liked Todd are we gonna get into it over this also? :D

Your correct, we will have to live with it and hope mikey made the correct decision. I think he did.

topscribe
08-28-2007, 09:36 PM
I just . . . wow. :eek:

I agree with Shanny . . . I guess . . . but that one had to be tough, involving
Sauerbrun and Ernster. Ernster was kicking the lights out this year. He actually
outkicked Sauerbrun. Last year must have weighed heavily on the coaches'
minds. That's all I can think of. And I do consider that a shaky situation for
Ernster.

-----

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
:rolleyes:I liked Todd are we gonna get into it over this also? :D

Your correct, we will have to live with it and hope mikey made the correct decision. I think he did.

LOL not over punters.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I just . . . wow. :eek:

I agree with Shanny . . . I guess . . . but that one had to be tough, involving
Sauerbrun and Ernster. Ernster was kicking the lights out this year. He actually
outkicked Sauerbrun. Last year must have weighed heavily on the coaches'
minds. That's all I can think of. And I do consider that a shaky situation for
Ernster.

-----

I would image that was the reason he re-signed Todd to begin with.

In-com-plete
08-28-2007, 09:44 PM
My first post on this forum...and it's about a damn kicker. And not even a FG kicker. A freakin a punter. :o

This is crazy. I'm a huge Sauerbraun homer so I've been paying close attention to both of these guys this preseason. But Ernster has been the better punter. Hands down! Plus, he's been better on kickoffs.

Sometimes I just don't understand. But I can't say I'm 100% surprised. As I was watching the Browns games I was wondering why Sauerbraun was always holding for Elam. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 09:50 PM
My first post on this forum...and it's about a damn kicker. And not even a FG kicker. A freakin a punter. :o

This is crazy. I'm a huge Sauerbraun homer so I've been paying close attention to both of these guys this preseason. But Ernster has been the better punter. Hands down! Plus, he's been better on kickoffs.

Sometimes I just don't understand. But I can't say I'm 100% surprised. As I was watching the Browns games I was wondering why Sauerbraun was always holding for Elam. I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

First of all In-com it good to have you aboard.

Second, the only thing I can think for keeping Sauerbrun over Ernster is that Todd has already proven he is consistent.

keithbishop
08-28-2007, 10:12 PM

Good to see you. Good point on being the holder.

I thought the battle was over when Sauerbrun signed. Right or wrong, we'll see.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Good to see you. Good point on being the holder.

I thought the battle was over when Sauerbrun signed. Right or wrong, we'll see.

Agreed. I know Shanahan has his reasons for it but if the battle was over the second Sauerbrun signed why have them compete against one another. Paul clearly was the better punter up to this point.

Broncos Mtnman
08-28-2007, 11:04 PM
It would appear that Shanny made this decision based on last season, not this year's pre-season.

TXBRONC
08-28-2007, 11:09 PM
It would appear that Shanny made this decision based on last season, not this year's pre-season.

Sure looks that way.

topscribe
08-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Sure looks that way.
Except for the well made point of Sauerbrun's function as holder for Elam.

It was already quite clear that this was extremely important to the team.

-----

Retired_Member_001
08-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Except for the well made point of Sauerbrun's function as holder for Elam.

It was already quite clear that this was extremely important to the team.

-----

Good point. Elam has made it clear that he misses Jake :eek: in terms of his holding ability. If Sauerbrun can atleast make Elam feel slightly more comfortable when kicking then it's a good enough reason for me to pick Sauerbrun over Ersnter. I still think Sauerbrun would have a better season this year than Ernster would have had.

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Good point. Elam has made it clear that he misses Jake :eek: in terms of his holding ability. If Sauerbrun can atleast make Elam feel slightly more comfortable when kicking then it's a good enough reason for me to pick Sauerbrun over Ersnter. I still think Sauerbrun would have a better season this year than Ernster would have had.

mikey agrees :cool:

Watchthemiddle
08-29-2007, 01:53 PM
A litte off topic, but when are the final cuts? Friday? :confused:

Lonestar
08-29-2007, 01:56 PM
A litte off topic, but when are the final cuts? Friday? :confused:

on 01sep as I understand it will not be announced until 02sep.