PDA

View Full Version : Grade our Day 1.

lex
04-26-2008, 08:48 PM
A lot of mixed feelings that Im seeing on Day 1.

Tned
04-26-2008, 08:52 PM
I think it is a solid B. Clady was the safe pick, and should help both immediately and in the future. Royal was a pick they had to make to fill a need. I think if either Walker wasn't gone or Marshall hadn't been hurt than Royale wouldn't have been picked, but between the combination of the two, PLUS the need for return help, I WR became a must pick in the second.

MOtorboat
04-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I think it is a solid B. Clady was the safe pick, and should help both immediately and in the future. Royal was a pick they had to make to fill a need. I think if either Walker wasn't gone or Marshall hadn't been hurt than Royale wouldn't have been picked, but between the combination of the two, PLUS the need for return help, I WR became a must pick in the second.

I think the same. I don't think Royal is as bad of a pick as many think. Va Tech players are excellent on special teams and what part of the field did everyone complain about the most last year...hmmm....special teams...

lex
04-26-2008, 08:55 PM

I give it a B as well. I think we should have taken Williams or Albert over Clady. But Im very high on our thought process in deciding which WR to pick. I would have preferred a different position but looking at the run on WRs that occurred I have to give them credit.

shank
04-26-2008, 08:56 PM
i voted c+

clady is good
royal is good

but with how many wrs we brought in in the offseason, it kinda sucks to use another pick on one with guys like dan connor and trevor laws available... oh well.

a c+ is above average. it's an a++++ when you compare it to the titans day 1!

Requiem / The Dagda
04-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Uh, Shaw. . .

Parker and Jackson are one year rentals. Durability issues with Marshall and Stokley. Colbert is just potential.

It made a whole lot of sense for the Broncos to get a guy to groom for a year or so then have him start. It was a smart choice man.

Broncospsycho77
04-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Give it a B. Solid, non-glamorous picks. Don't know too much about Royal, but I hope he's a workhorse. I like everything about Clady except that he doesn't look too impassioned from what I've seen...

What really sucks is that the Chefs had a solid first round and the Raiders got a playmaker...

shank
04-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Uh, Shaw. . .

Parker and Jackson are one year rentals. Durability issues with Marshall and Stokley. Colbert is just potential.

It made a whole lot of sense for the Broncos to get a guy to groom for a year or so then have him start. It was a smart choice man.

colbert and parker are both young, and parker is similar to eddie royal. royal is a perfect slot guy and won't be able to contribute much in that role until stokely is gone, and even then, i realize that we used our 2nd round pick on a number 3 receiver and kick returner. i'm not even saying that's bad...

like i said, a c+ is above average.

Tned
04-26-2008, 09:07 PM
I give it a B as well. I think we should have taken Williams or Albert over Clady. But Im very high on our thought process in deciding which WR to pick. I would have preferred a different position but looking at the run on WRs that occurred I have to give them credit.

I was pretty convinced we were going to go with a WR in round 2, which is what I was saying in the draft day thread well prior to the pick. Picking a WR is the only play that made sense given where the Broncos sat (lost Walker, Marshall with a major injury, a servicable LB corp, MT and Robertson at DT, and Crowder, Dumervil and Moss at DE). The only other 'need' pick was possibly safety, but with Lynch coming back and other options, it was far less of a need. When you add in the fact that Royal can help with returns, it really was a no brainer.

I expected it to be Jackson, but that has a lot to do with me not following the NCAA and therefore seeing Jackson the fit as the small, fast receiver to split the field and return kicks. Royal appears to be the same, but with a little more bulk.

lex
04-26-2008, 09:09 PM
I was pretty convinced we were going to go with a WR in round 2, which is what I was saying in the draft day thread well prior to the pick. Picking a WR is the only play that made sense given where the Broncos sat (lost Walker, Marshall with a major injury, a servicable LB corp, MT and Robertson at DT, and Crowder, Dumervil and Moss at DE). The only other 'need' pick was possibly safety, but with Lynch coming back and other options, it was far less of a need. When you add in the fact that Royal can help with returns, it really was a no brainer.

I expected it to be Jackson, but that has a lot to do with me not following the NCAA and therefore seeing Jackson the fit as the small, fast receiver to split the field and return kicks. Royal appears to be the same, but with a little more bulk.

Yeah, except with Royal you also get a guy who can throw passes.

tripleoption
04-26-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm thinking that short term the Broncos are looking at Royal as a return guy. It seems to me like last year the Broncos spent WAYYY to much time backed up to start drives. Based on some of the video I saw of Royal hopefully he can give the Broncos a legit return guy. If your offense is constantly starting drives deep in your own territory, it's tough to win at any level, especially the NFL. Overall, I'm in the B crowd for a grade at this point.

lex
04-26-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm thinking that short term the Broncos are looking at Royal as a return guy. It seems to me like last year the Broncos spent WAYYY to much time backed up to start drives. Based on some of the video I saw of Royal hopefully he can give the Broncos a legit return guy. If your offense is constantly starting drives deep in your own territory, it's tough to win at any level, especially the NFL. Overall, I'm in the B crowd for a grade at this point.

Yeah, but someone has correctly pointed out earlier that theres more to a return game than a guy carrying a ball. Look at what Domenik Hixon did last year with the Giants vs when he was with Denver. Also, bear in mind that Va Tech is great at special teams and Royal may not have that kind of blocking if our ST is anything like last year.

mclark
04-26-2008, 09:28 PM
C+

Clady was the right position -- some people will argue that he wasn't the right guy.

I have nothing against Eddie Royal. But I didn't expect to use our number 2 pick for a #5 receiver and a punt returner.

If we're worried about Brandon Marshall making it back, then we really had other options for people who might become a #1 receiver. (If Eddie Royal is really a Steve Smith in hiding, then I will admit I'm wrong.)

Royal was a good punt returner last year, about 14.5 yards per return, and two touchdowns -- but he was a mediocre kick off returner, 23 yards.

I was expecting an offensive tackle followed by a 'middle of the defense' draft.

Tomorrow will be very important for us.

Bronco9798
04-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Royal just sealed Parkers fate in my opinion. I don't see Sammie Parker making the team. He was horrible in KC. Good Camp fodder, that's about it. You need bodies in camp, Parker fits that role.

We all sit around last year and saw how murderous our return game was last year. It was pure hell watching. At least we are making an attempt to make it better with Royal. Plus, with Stokly's inability to stay healthy, maybe he can make a decent slot receiver. But I think for right now he was taken to improve the return game this year. He'll get opportunities to play some WR and he seems to have the skills. I'm actually pretty excited about this pick. I mean, why not.

Drill-N-Fill
04-26-2008, 09:32 PM
We lose atleast 2 games every year due to field positon. B+ for me.

And I know Shanny will go D-tackle crazy in the 4th round.

tripleoption
04-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah, but someone has correctly pointed out earlier that theres more to a return game than a guy carrying a ball. Look at what Domenik Hixon did last year with the Giants vs when he was with Denver. Also, bear in mind that Va Tech is great at special teams and Royal may not have that kind of blocking if our ST is anything like last year.

I fully agree. Special teams is something that MUST be upgraded, and I"m hoping this is a start. It sucks to outplay a team yet lose because of poor ST play (like the Chicago game last year :tsk:).

lex
04-26-2008, 09:35 PM
I fully agree. Special teams is something that MUST be upgraded, and I"m hoping this is a start. It sucks to outplay a team yet lose because of poor ST play (like the Chicago game last year :tsk:).

Yeah, but people often forget that we recovered a Hester fumble deep in Chicaog territory when kicking to him.

nevcraw
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM
I'll grade it in a couple of yrs.
But i wanted Albert, another Proect tackle, so Clady is a fine option for a need position. He's strong, not injured, tough, and I think smarter than his wonderlic showed.
I like the royal pick alot. Strong kid, and not so light in the ass as jackson. We all know how shanny has been looking for a return guy for a few years so I would assume they have done the homework with kid..
although, I would like to think that they would have taken Jordy if the GB hadn't stole him..

Good day overall but would trade our draft w/ the chiefs day in ny minute..

shank
04-26-2008, 09:37 PM
gimme the 4th round from my mock alone, and my overall score will skyrocket!

Nature Boy
04-26-2008, 09:40 PM
B+. I am being optimistic that Clady will come in and start immediately and Eddie Royal can make a difference for us in the return game. We need better field position that we have been getting the last few years.

nevcraw
04-26-2008, 09:41 PM
remember this tommorow: Lex Hilliard to Broncos in the 7th round. you heard it here first. and if it doesn't work out I will delete this post like it never happened..

Nature Boy
04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Dan Conner is still on the board. Hopefully we can work a deal to get a 3rd rounder and draft Conner. Think any teams would be interested in our next year's 2nd rounder for their current early 3rd?

Magnificent Seven
04-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I was little upset with Broncos' second round draft. I was hoping that they would pick DeShaun Jackson. He was 100% pure available when Broncos was on the clock for second round pick. He was an amazing W.R. for CAL. He is like young Jerry Rice and he is way better than Eddie Royal.

Tned
04-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Rotoworld.com definately sees him as an immediate starter and upgrade for the Broncos' line:

Ryan Clady-T- Broncos Apr. 26 - 4:29 pm et

Broncos selected Ryan Clady with the No. 12 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

The former defensive lineman is extremely athletic, which fits Denver's zone blocking scheme perfectly. The first offensive player since Darren McFadden taken is something of a work in progress, but should protect Jay Cutler's blind side immediately. It fills a huge need and should help Denver's pass game

BroncoWave
04-26-2008, 09:53 PM
B+ Both were solid picks and should improve the team this season.

Timmy!
04-26-2008, 09:58 PM
B. Picks at need positions. I'd love to trade up and take Connor. I'm not sold on Kootie yet. If we could get Connor, then go DL, S, FB, K, then the Broncos would get an overall draft grade of A- from me.

Nature Boy
04-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I was little upset with Broncos' second round draft. I was hoping that they would pick DeShaun Jackson. He was 100% pure available when Broncos was on the clock for second round pick. He was an amazing W.R. for CAL. He is like young Jerry Rice and he is way better than Eddie Royal.

Deshaun Jackson isn't much faster than Eddie Royal, they are about the same height, but Royal is at least 10 lbs heavier and that much stronger. A poster said he bench pressed 225lbs some 24 times at the combine. The average OL bench presses that much. Royal looks to be the better pick between he and Jackson. One draft expert calls Royal the poor man's Steve Smith.

Nature Boy
04-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Conner will be gone by the time we go to bat in the 4th round. How can we get a 3rd rounder?

shank
04-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Conner will be gone by the time we go to bat in the 4th round. How can we get a 3rd rounder?

it's tempting, but i hope the fact that we skipped him in 2 is a sign that we have faith in niko to start. i hope that's what it means anyway...

stay put and hope rubin is there in the 4th.

Nick
04-26-2008, 10:06 PM
I have this as an A draft, so far.

We were able to get a LT that will be able to start from day one and able to pick from the litter of OT's. If we did not address this position at this spot we would have not been able to in the second round with out reaching BIG TIME. Obviously they had him ranked above albert and Williams as "our" guy.

With Royal. I am very pleased with this selection. This guy is a flat out play maker and helps a big need for us at PR and KR and will be able to play slot and potential 2nd wide reciever.

He came from a deffensive system and watched a large amount of VT games. He had to be accounted for on the field. The first day compliments Cutler very well and with our off season addressing D... I do not know how you can not give both an A.

We have a large amount of later round picks to address DT depth. LB and Saftey w/special team depth. Maybe a kicker or punter. I will not mind us grabbing a FB and another person on our OL as well.

Royal was going to go in the top 2nd round, anyone that knows about these prospects realize this. He is the flat out best return guy in the draft and by far better the D. Jackson. Jackson will not be able to contribute at WR in the NFL unless he gains 20 lbs... He is overated and only known for 1 maybe two highlight plays but people do not realize he gets shut down on man the rest of the game. He even get another WR on Cal by the name of Hawkins who can not even catch show him up.

Jackson would be nice if you had solid Special teams like Chicago but Broncos do not. Royal is very physical and able to breack tackles to up things up.

This wide reciever is known for YACS and will block.

I am very pleased with selection.

I really want Sims or Laws at this spot... but understand the route they went. There are still some very solid DT prospects on the board that will be able to attribute in depth and stopping the run.

A from me

In addition to my A.

So far the Broncos have been on top of the ball and almost looking like they are dictating what other teams needs to get... and in a hurry.

They grab clady then O-Linemen start dropping like flies, which hurt a lot of teams that where hoping some might fall later in 1st and in 2nd round. We were able to grab "our" top Lineman.

A couple picks in the 2nd round some teams started to grab "their" top wide recievers, thus Broncos grabbing their guy and a person who is the best return specilist in the draft. Then Wide recievers drop like flys.

So far very very solid draft.

sneakers
04-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Great Job! For the first time in a long time, the Broncos drafted someone the person I wanted them to in the first round.

D1g1tal j1m
04-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Clady was the wise choice for our first pick. He will anchor our left side and Harris or Pears will be the RT. This was picking the best available player that also plays a position of need for the Broncos.

Royal is consider one of the best returners in the draft. He has above average speed and is lightning quick. Plus he has the ability to make the first defensive guy miss him and gain valuable yards after the catch.

Now for day two, lets hope that the Broncos can move into the 3rd round and select a OG for depth and the future. Add a true FB, add a LB and add a fat DT.

BigDaddyBronco
04-26-2008, 10:25 PM
I gave us a B (hope spring's eternal). I really liked Chicago's draft two spots down from us. Williams as a left tackle and Matt Forte. I would be giving us an A if we had that draft (which we could have had). :tsk:

I'm almost hoping they don't try and move up in the 3rd. Let's take our chances with a couple of picks in the 4th.

frauschieze
04-26-2008, 10:41 PM
remember this tommorow: Lex Hilliard to Broncos in the 7th round. you heard it here first. and if it doesn't work out I will delete this post like it never happened..

Too late. I have quoted it for posterity. I'd worry about Hilliard's injury history myself, but a hometown boy on my team......I'd be psyched.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2008, 10:43 PM
B-

Clady wasn't my choice at OT, but he is the experts'/GMs' consensus for the #1 LT in the draft. Who am I to disagree? Otah is not the fit Clady seems to be and Williams is apparently needing surgery on his vagina (hope some of you may get that joke). Albert was the flavor of the month to keep the money comin in for those website "insider" subscriptions. No biggie we missed out on him.

Royal, to me, was a huge reach for a few reasons. 1) We passed on Sweed. The Steelers do their homework. If his hands are a problem, Pittsburgh does NOT take risks like that. Screw DeSean though. 2) VTech may have great special teams history, but tell me what Hokies have ever lived up to their expectations/college play. 3) Injury history. I know he is stronger than most his size, but unlike Ray Rice (who I make a similar point about) Royal DOES get banged up. 4) The return game needs fixed beyond the returnman. Look what Hixon did after he left. We coulda used a much later pick on a returnman like Darius Reynaud, etc.

I'm not upset we passed on DT since we just got Robertson. And for the same reasons, I shouldn't be upset we passed on LB or Safety...but I am. There were a couple of bad asses at each of those spots who could have been long term fixes, unlike the stopgaps we signed as FAs.

Nick
04-26-2008, 10:51 PM
In addition to my A.

So far the Broncos have been on top of the ball and almost looking like they are dictating what other teams needs to get... and in a hurry.

They grab clady then O-Linemen start dropping like flies, which hurt a lot of teams that where hoping some might fall later in 1st and in 2nd round. We were able to grab "our" top Lineman.

A couple picks in the 2nd round some teams started to grab "their" top wide recievers, thus Broncos grabbing their guy and a person who is the best return specilist in the draft. Then Wide recievers drop like flys.

So far very very solid draft.

SmilinAssasSin27
04-26-2008, 10:57 PM
only we didn't take the first WR.

Scarface
04-26-2008, 11:11 PM
This draft freakin ruled for the simple fact I got my most important question answered. I figured we'd take a LT or RB at #12. I thought at LT Williams/Albert/Clady would be in the mix and at RB Mendenhall/Stewart would be as well. I wanted to know what position was a priority and what player was ranked highest on the Broncos Draft Board. All 5 were on the board for us and we could have had any of them and Shanny and the staff chose Clady. I honestly thought Williams and Albert would have been the choice. Either way I'm ecstatic we chose a LT. Protect Cutler and watch the offense go buckwild on the league. We got his bodyguard for the next 10 yrs. This team is young and ready to bust out!

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff302/ScarfaceBroncos2007/NFL%20Draft%2008/LT/436380726_t335.jpg

Lonestar
04-26-2008, 11:18 PM

Until this team can produce on DEFENSE we do not have to worry about Punt returns..

Every year mikey goes after a return guy and they all fizzle.. because the rest of the ST SUCK..

We could have Hester out there and he'd be average maybe get one a year by pure luck..

Until mikey prioritizes ST's with both players and coaching it will not make a difference IMO.. We had Hixon last year and fired him mid season..

keep on DAFTING those return guys mikey and let move on to other teams that know how to use them..

nevcraw
04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Williams is apparently needing surgery on his vagina

Funniest Post of the Day!!!!!

Lonestar
04-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Well once again I can see the koolade drinkers here are out in full force..
mikey says they are good and EVERYONE falls all over themselves believing the bullshit.. I've heard it for years and have come to believe that 40% of the posters here on this forum could have made much better choices even not having access to the sources he does..

An OLT with a room temperature IQ that played well in an almost ultra weak conference.. going to a team with one of the most sophisticated playbooks.. AYE.

A wr that was barely in the play books this year that seems to be a decent KR in the ACC which is hardly a stellar conference..

Maybe I'm missing something when they could have had a quality DT's in Trevor Laws, Simms, Okam or Red Bryant as a back up to Robertson.. and playing in rotation to relieve them..
RB
Matt forte
WR
Limas Sweed

Sorry but clady was not my choice and wasting another #2 on someone that will get NO support and be gone by the BYE week makes ZERO sense to me..

Well maybe mikey will keep him a year or two just to show he did not blow ANOTHER #2 DAFT choice..after all hixon was just second day choice..

Stargazer
04-26-2008, 11:43 PM
I might as well vote. Looking forward to day 2.

Tned
04-26-2008, 11:58 PM
I might as well vote. Looking forward to day 2.

mikey says they are good and EVERYONE falls all over themselves believing the bullshit.. I've heard it for years and have come to believe that 40% of the posters here on this forum could have made much better choices even not having access to the sources he does..

An OLT with a room temperature IQ that played well in an almost ultra weak conference.. going to a team with one of the most sophisticated playbooks.. AYE.

A wr that was barely in the play books this year that seems to be a decent KR in the ACC which is hardly a stellar conference..

Maybe I'm missing something when they could have had a quality DT's in Trevor Laws, Simms, Okam or Red Bryant as a back up to Robertson.. and playing in rotation to relieve them..
RB
Matt forte
WR
Limas Sweed

Sorry but clady was not my choice and wasting another #2 on someone that will get NO support and be gone by the BYE week makes ZERO sense to me..

Well maybe mikey will keep him a year or two just to show he did not blow ANOTHER #2 DAFT choice..after all hixon was just second day choice..

On the bright side, look at it this way. If you guys are right, then just think how much ammunition you will have to bash 'Mikey' during the regular season... :2thumbs:

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 12:09 AM
On the bright side, look at it this way. If you guys are right, then just think how much ammunition you will have to bash 'Mikey' during the regular season... :2thumbs:

It is not hard to bash the clown as a GM. now is it..

As coach well that is harder..

All though when you look at his record since his HOF players left not much in the post season to crow about is there..

nevcraw
04-27-2008, 12:12 AM

RB
Matt forte
WR
Limas Sweed

Everyone said Clady was good.. Shanny just agrees.
His conference has nothing do with his feet or his punch. I wanted Albert but atleast Clady has spent more than 2 games at LT.
as for Royal he was projected to be a top 2nd round pick, and he can get off the line but more he can be a returner to help our O.

I love the hixon references. He had one run back and now he's hester... He got lucky to be picked up.. Had the giants not won the SB (and it was for the defense and QB/WR play not ST) Hixon would never have be brought up again. BTW - the broncos wanted to keep him but he didn't last waivers.

Laws - would have been a good pick but who's to say I'm right? The rest of your list is still out there.. stay tuned..

Tned
04-27-2008, 12:13 AM
All though when you look at his record since his HOF players left not much in the post season to crow about is there..

Some people see the glass half full, some three quarters empty. I'm more of a half full guy myself. I see the fact that last year was only the second losing season since Elway retired and that as a fan, I have gotten to experience FAR more winning seasons than losing ones.

then again, I might have just drank the koolaid and not realize that I would be much happier with the 2, 3, and 4 win seasons that the Raiders, Cowboys and so many other teams have had during that same time frame.

Watchthemiddle
04-27-2008, 12:38 AM
Some people see the glass half full, some three quarters empty. I'm more of a half full guy myself. I see the fact that last year was only the second losing season since Elway retired and that as a fan, I have gotten to experience FAR more winning seasons than losing ones.

then again, I might have just drank the koolaid and not realize that I would be much happier with the 2, 3, and 4 win seasons that the Raiders, Cowboys and so many other teams have had during that same time frame.

What was the stat they kept showing today about the Raiders.....something like 19-61 since going to the super bowl??

I think we have done a decent job since going to ours.

slim
04-27-2008, 12:42 AM

RB
Matt forte
WR
Limas Sweed

Agreed.

JoeF
04-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Deshaun Jackson isn't much faster than Eddie Royal, they are about the same height, but Royal is at least 10 lbs heavier and that much stronger. A poster said he bench pressed 225lbs some 24 times at the combine. The average OL bench presses that much. Royal looks to be the better pick between he and Jackson. One draft expert calls Royal the poor man's Steve Smith.

Great point, 24 in the duece n a quarter bench press is, well, titz. Yes, Royal is a WR/KR and putting that up is astounding.

Agree that Eddie Royal looks immediately to be more durable than Jackson (who I also like). This guy could be a difference maker and a push for rotation is now on for wide recievers...we drafted S-P-E-E-D and that further qualifies the choice in terms of position spent in round two.

Day two is influenced by this pick, the trickle down affect may allow another even more specialized selection. Or a Dan Connor up-reach...we shall see.

Surprising & savvy choice.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Dan Conner will be gone in the 3rd round and we don't have a 3rd round selection. So will Jamaal Charles or anyone the team really likes. Tomorrow is sleeper hunting time. :tsk:

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Everyone said Clady was good.. Shanny just agrees.
His conference has nothing do with his feet or his punch. I wanted Albert but atleast Clady has spent more than 2 games at LT.
as for Royal he was projected to be a top 2nd round pick, and he can get off the line but more he can be a returner to help our O.

I love the hixon references. He had one run back and now he's hester... He got lucky to be picked up.. Had the giants not won the SB (and it was for the defense and QB/WR play not ST) Hixon would never have be brought up again. BTW - the broncos wanted to keep him but he didn't last waivers.

Laws - would have been a good pick but who's to say I'm right? The rest of your list is still out there.. stay tuned..

Yes there was several references to his great feet in his press conference..

I would have rather had Albert cause the worst case senario would have been him taking a Guard spot day one..

Hixon was CUT because of his poor performances in returning the kicks..

Lets hope mikey can find his ass with both hands tomorrow and get some decent talent to fill the holes and add depth to this team..

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:08 AM

What was the stat they kept showing today about the Raiders.....something like 19-61 since going to the super bowl??

I think we have done a decent job since going to ours.

I thought the standard in DEN was to go to the Super bowl each year.. yet we have WON ONE playoff game since, now almost 10 years..

Sure we have had winning seasons but each time we have had our asses handed to us by better teams teams, with much better talent and in some cases being totally out coached in those playoff games.. IN all of these cases teams that were built primarily via the draft..

When are Y'ALL gonna wake up and smell the manure that mikey is putting out in dove valley?

slim
04-27-2008, 01:09 AM
Yes there was several references to his great feet in his press conference..

I would have rather had Albert cause the worst case senario would have been him taking a Guard spot day one..

Hixon was CUT because of his poor performances in returning the kicks..

Lets hope mikey can find his ass with both hands tomorrow and get some decent talent to fill the holes and add depth to this team..

Why would you want to draft a guard at #12? That is crazy.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:10 AM
I thought the standard in DEN was to go to the Super bowl each year.. yet we have WON ONE playoff game since, now almost 10 years..

Sure we have had winning seasons but each time we have had our asses handed to us by better teams teams, with much better talent and in some cases being totally out coached in those playoff games.. IN all of these cases teams that were built primarily via the draft..

When are Y'ALL gonna wake up and smell the manure that mikey is putting out in dove valley?

Is this Zamboni in disguise?

BeefStew25
04-27-2008, 01:10 AM

We need to get Whiz more postive terminal. He jumps better in fold weather.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:12 AM

HE was supposed to be that good a player he could convert to LT.. A meaner version of clady..

That was why I said worst case scenario he could start day one at OG..

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Didn't Brendan Alberts only play 2-3 games at OT? Clady was the most athletic light footed OT in the draft. Best suited for our system. Clady can start on day 1, Alberts probably wouldn't.

lex
04-27-2008, 01:14 AM
HE was supposed to be that good a player he could convert to LT.. A meaner version of clady..

Guard allows him some room for error since he has help on both sides and we already know that he can play guard based on his body of work in college. I agree with this. I wanted Albert and Williams more than Clady.

lex
04-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Didn't Brendan Alberts only play 2-3 games at OT? Clady was the most athletic light footed OT in the draft. Best suited for our system. Clady can start on day 1, Alberts probably wouldn't.

They said he did really well at tackle when he had a week to prepare. And Albert was pretty lightfooted as well. Its hard to know to what degree since he spent less time at OT where the speed rushers are though. What Albert is great at is blocking downfield and in space. This is also useful in the ZBS.

slim
04-27-2008, 01:17 AM

Right, and Kwame Harris was "supposed to be" a meaner version of George Foster.

Clady was the census #2 OT on the board. It was the right choice.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:20 AM

But we don't need a guard. We need a LT and Clady was the best. It was a good think we took Clady when we did too cause 5 OTs were taken in the next 9 picks after us.

lex

Mike Mayock called Albert the best blocker downfield/in space he's seen. This is a little different than Harris and Foster. This is supposed to be one of the strongest draft classes for Tackles in a decade. Harris and Foster dont even belong in the conversation.

Lonestar

lets hope for the broncos sake and all of the fans you are correct .. But I doubt it..

Have heard the fast feet comment before and they were NOT..

Do not believe what mikey says anymore..

G_Money
04-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Jr - I like Albert, but at the pick I would have taken Williams because we probably are gonna have a rough year next year (at least the first half) with Clady learning while playing. He has a lot of work to put in to reach his potential. Albert would have needed a lot as well with the unfamiliar position, but Williams would have been more ready now.

Still - if you think he's D'Brickashaw in 2 years then sometimes you just have to suck it up in a "transition" year. And this still is. It's still a purge of the old.

But Royal should be a player, and Clady should be a player. We at least didn't trade down and then end up looking stupid, like the Texans. We'll see if Clady is Foster. I don't think so - he's not a cupcake, he has a good work ethic, and he can both move his feet AND bend at both waist and knees, things Foster was nearly incapable of.

I was of the opinion that we needed two rock-solid picks with the first two rounds. We NEEDED these guys.

Clady's not a lock, but he's not a reach either. He's got huge potential, and if they have to move him to RT because he turns out more like Gallery than Ogden, then we'll complain. His ceiling is higher than a lot of other tackles, esp for us, and his floor isn't as low as some are making it out to be.

Same with Royal. He can return kicks now, learn how to be Stokley's replacement from Stokley himself, and we'll see how fast he improves. A lot of times I don't mind players with "growth left in their games" because almost every college player has to grow to be an NFL great, and raw guys from imperfect college systems (ie, Boise St for technical LT blocking and VT for crisp WRs) can have a LOT more growth left than some more polished kids from "pro" systems (ie, Cal for WRs, perhaps...).

I'm with you, though: i was PISSED when Hixon was cut, and went on to the Giants as a contributor. There was no need for it, and we paid for it today, having to add a KR instead of either drafting a bigger WR or a different position all together.

Still, if this FIXES that stupid hole once and for all, then at least it's done. And for a WR/KR I like Royal more than most of our other options.

Tomorrow will be a day to find out if Shanny can be patient or if he'll start trading all those picks and whittling em down. And either way, what he does with them is gonna be as important as these first two were.

We weren't "a couple of players away" last year when he said we were, and we aren't a couple of players away this year either.

But we still have time to turn a potentially-good draft into a great one. Much better than going the other way.

~G

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:23 AM
But we don't need a guard. We need a LT and Clady was the best. It was a good think we took Clady when we did too cause 5 OTs were taken in the next 9 picks after us.

do you think everyone thinks mikey is a genius and therefore had to follow his lead?

Had KC not had Dorsey fall into their laps we would not be having this conversation..

slim
04-27-2008, 01:24 AM
Mike Mayock called Albert the best blocker downfield/in space he's seen. This is a little different than Harris and Foster. This is supposed to be one of the strongest draft classes for Tackles in a decade. Harris and Foster dont even belong in the conversation.

I agree....Clady is worlds better than Foster or Harris. I guess the bottom line is, are all of the so called "draft experts" wrong? Clady was the 2nd best OT in this draft...so say the "experts". Maybe they are wrong, but are any of us in a position to say so? I know I'm not.

PatricktheDookie
04-27-2008, 01:27 AM
I think the Clady pick deserves more recognition. The odds of no offensive linemen being selected from picks 2 through 11 were very low. We didn't jump the gun, though. Shanahan held his hand, got lucky, and had his choice of any tackle he wanted. Our first round pick was nothing short of ideal.

I would have given an A- for that pick, alone. I dropped it to a B+ because I believe we took Royal early.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:28 AM
My only concern with Clady is he played is a weaker conference against weaker competition. However, Boise St. can hang with the best of them. Just ask Bob Stoops 2 seasons ago.

lex
04-27-2008, 01:30 AM
I agree....Clady is worlds better than Foster or Harris. I guess the bottom line is, are all of the so called "draft experts" wrong? Clady was the 2nd best OT in this draft...so say the "experts". Maybe they are wrong, but are any of us in a position to say so? I know I'm not.

Id rather have the guy who can block downfield and who has played against better competition than Clady.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:31 AM
do you think everyone thinks mikey is a genius and therefore had to follow his lead?

Had KC not had Dorsey fall into their laps we would not be having this conversation..

I think KC actually had their eyes on Matt Ryan but that got scratched. Are you saying KC would have taken Branden Alberts?

slim
04-27-2008, 01:31 AM
Id rather have the guy who can block downfield and who has played against better competition than Clady.

You mean the guy with the back/neck injury?

lex
04-27-2008, 01:32 AM
My only concern with Clady is he played is a weaker conference against weaker competition. However, Boise St. can hang with the best of them. Just ask Bob Stoops 2 seasons ago.

Actually Clady was a key factor in making that statue of liberty play work. But that was one play. Flashes of brilliance are great but Id prefer a stronger body of work against better competition. If I had more faith in Rick Dennison, I might feel differently.

lex
04-27-2008, 01:33 AM
You mean the guy with the back/neck injury?

Who?

Lonestar
Jr - I like Albert, but at the pick I would have taken Williams because we probably are gonna have a rough year next year (at least the first half) with Clady learning while playing. He has a lot of work to put in to reach his potential. Albert would have needed a lot as well with the unfamiliar position, but Williams would have been more ready now.

Still - if you think he's D'Brickashaw in 2 years then sometimes you just have to suck it up in a "transition" year. And this still is. It's still a purge of the old.

But Royal should be a player, and Clady should be a player. We at least didn't trade down and then end up looking stupid, like the Texans. We'll see if Clady is Foster. I don't think so - he's not a cupcake, he has a good work ethic, and he can both move his feet AND bend at both waist and knees, things Foster was nearly incapable of.

I was of the opinion that we needed two rock-solid picks with the first two rounds. We NEEDED these guys.

Clady's not a lock, but he's not a reach either. He's got huge potential, and if they have to move him to RT because he turns out more like Gallery than Ogden, then we'll complain. His ceiling is higher than a lot of other tackles, esp for us, and his floor isn't as low as some are making it out to be.

Same with Royal. He can return kicks now, learn how to be Stokley's replacement from Stokley himself, and we'll see how fast he improves. A lot of times I don't mind players with "growth left in their games" because almost every college player has to grow to be an NFL great, and raw guys from imperfect college systems (ie, Boise St for technical LT blocking and VT for crisp WRs) can have a LOT more growth left than some more polished kids from "pro" systems (ie, Cal for WRs, perhaps...).

I'm with you, though: i was PISSED when Hixon was cut, and went on to the Giants as a contributor. There was no need for it, and we paid for it today, having to add a KR instead of either drafting a bigger WR or a different position all together.

Still, if this FIXES that stupid hole once and for all, then at least it's done. And for a WR/KR I like Royal more than most of our other options.

Tomorrow will be a day to find out if Shanny can be patient or if he'll start trading all those picks and whittling em down. And either way, what he does with them is gonna be as important as these first two were.

We weren't "a couple of players away" last year when he said we were, and we aren't a couple of players away this year either.

But we still have time to turn a potentially-good draft into a great one. Much better than going the other way.

~G

One of the best post I have seen and again I hope your correct in your assessment. I really feel that your not maybe in a few days I'll see it differently. But being from an OLD WAC town I have seen the level of play in that conference and it SUCKS. They are sub standard at best .. Very few quality players come out of that conference..

Unless I missed something today there was ONLY ONE player taken from the WAC today.. and we got him.. .. he played well in a really weak conference and struggled against quality teams outside the conference coupled with a room temperature IQ.. He came out a year early on top of all of the above...
all of the above is what scares me

We have not been a few players way from a superbowl since JOHN, TD, ZIM and Sharpe left

Nature Boy

Clady is a true LT, Alberts is not. Why is it so hard to make sense of this?

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:38 AM
I guess the bottom line is, are all of the so called "draft experts" wrong? Clady was the 2nd best OT in this draft...so say the "experts". Maybe they are wrong, but are any of us in a position to say so? I know I'm not.

What he said.

G_Money
Well there's nothing saying the Broncos can't go get him a tutor.

We didn't have some guy who came here, excelled in the zone-blocking scheme, knows everything there is about playing LT, and is in the HOF now, did we?

Who adores Pat Bowlen?

Who might be willing to take a few weeks to explain to the Rook how to play LT in the pros?

Too bad we don't know a guy like that...

~G

lex
Clady is a true LT, Alberts is not. Why is it so hard to make sense of this?

Thats not a certainty. Many feel Alberts can play LT. Alberts is also very mobile and plays with balance. Theres not a big enough body of work to really judge either way whether he is better suited as a LT than Clady.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:39 AM

everyone I heard said he would be the best of this class in FIVE years.. that is well and good for a team that has that long to wait for it..

I also have to wonder how this class will stack up to other years.. so while he may be the best of this class where will he rank against the real best?

Stargazer
04-27-2008, 01:41 AM
Meh.

Looking forward to day 2

slim
04-27-2008, 01:41 AM
One of the best post I have seen and again I hope your correct in your assessment. I really feel that your not maybe in a few days I'll see it differently. But being from an OLD WAC town I have seen the level of play in that conference and it SUCKS. They are sub standard at best .. Very few quality players come out of that conference..

Unless I missed something today there was ONLY ONE player taken from the WAC today.. and we got him.. .. he played well in a really weak conference and struggled against quality teams outside the conference coupled with a room temperature IQ.. He came out a year early on top of all of the above...

We have not been a few players way from a superbowl since JOHN, TD, ZIM and Sharpe left

Didn't BSU beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl? How did Clady play in that game. I honestly don't remember.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Thats not a certainty. Many feel Alberts can play LT. Alberts is also very mobile and plays with balance. Theres not a big enough body of work to really judge either way whether he is better suited as a LT than Clady.

How can you say that? Clady played his whole college career at LT, Alberts play LT for like 2 games as a substitute. Reread what you just said above Lex, I think you've been lying to yourself on this one.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:42 AM
I think KC actually had their eyes on Matt Ryan but that got scratched. Are you saying KC would have taken Branden Alberts?

they were supoosed to be looking at clady as their next franchise tackle and

btw They did..take albert

G_Money
04-27-2008, 01:43 AM

I agree that the WAC is not strong, and that Clady has work to do. But having seen what he can do when he gets it RIGHT makes me think that he just wasn't taught how to do it right all the time.

I can tell he's gonna drive me crazy early. He's gonna block the wrong guy and false start and make me want to strangle him with a (really big) sock.

But there are guys I wouldn't put up with from Day 1 - Clady isn't that guy with me. He HAS to grow to be a great LT in the league, but it also looks like he wants to grow.

As long as money doesn't make him a complacent SOB I'll be okay. If he gets fat and lazy with his millions...

Let's just not think on that too hard.

~G

lex
04-27-2008, 01:43 AM
everyone I heard said he would be the best of this class in FIVE years.. that is well and good for a team that has that long to wait for it..

I also have to wonder how this class will stack up to other years.. so while he may be the best of this class where will he rank against the real best?

I guess maybe Kuper can play LT while Clady is becoming acclimated to the pro game.

Kuper-Hamilton-Nalen-Holland-Clady

Eventually...
Clady-Hamilton-Nalen-Holland-Kuper

I think we should get Zuttah and a Clemson OL too. I worry Hamilton and or Nalen wont last the season.

lex
04-27-2008, 01:46 AM
How can you say that? Clady played his whole college career at LT, Alberts play LT for like 2 games as a substitute. Reread what you just said above Lex, I think you've been lying to yourself on this one.

I said, many think Albert is well suited to play LT but to say definitively whose upside is better at LT is hard since its not apples to apples due to Alberts not having a big enough body of work. This is upside. But more immediately I feel better about Albert due to level of competition.

slim
04-27-2008, 01:46 AM

Well, I have never heard that. Of course he will take a year or two to adjust to the NFL...most OT do. How will he stack up against the "real best". Well, who the hell knows. How will Alberts or Williams stack up?

Look, the bottom line is the Broncos (and most "draft experts") think Clady was the 2nd best OL in this draft. That is good enough for me.

Can you honestly tell me that Williams or Alberts will be a better OT in the NFL? If so, then why can't the "draft experts" come to that same conclusion?

lex
04-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Didn't BSU beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl? How did Clady play in that game. I honestly don't remember.

He had the key block on that statue of liberty play. Honestly, I think that game cause people to notice him more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4s8vdzYwFU&NR=1

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:48 AM

While I hate OU they came into the game half hearted and got their heads handed to them.. I do not remember how he played in particular..
I do remember liking every minute of the game I saw..

I suspect if they played each other consistently OU would whooped their ass 9 times out of ten if it were real game that meant something.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:52 AM

Clady played great cause they BSU won. Clady was the one who sold the pass on the statue of liberty play, then sealed the end with a block that won them the game in overtime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYJiMDHhlY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4s8vdzYwFU&feature=related

Final play at the end. You can see Clady #79, fake the pass by backing up then running over to seal the end.

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 01:54 AM
Well, I have never heard that. Of course he will take a year or two to adjust to the NFL...most OT do. How will he stack up against the "real best". Well, who the hell knows. How will Alberts or Williams stack up?

Look, the bottom line is the Broncos (and most "draft experts") think Clady was the 2nd best OL in this draft. That is good enough for me.

Can you honestly tell me that Williams or Alberts will be a better OT in the NFL? If so, then why can't the "draft experts" come to that same conclusion?

NO I can't say for sure.. But I do know that he has played against very few quality DE's in the WAC.. The WAC is almost all about Offense..

I do know that Albert was the #1 OG in the draft and Mayock had him strong like #3 or 4 at OLT..

I take what Mikey the bronco says with a grain of salt.. Everyone they DAFT is at the top of their list. What else could they say? Oh we liked Albert better, but thought he would hold out rather than play in DEN!

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 01:59 AM
they were supoosed to be looking at clady as their next franchise tackle and

btw They did..take albert

They did take Alberts, didn't realize.

So if the Queefs wanted Clady at their 5th spot, doesn't that say a whole lot about what people think of Clady's abilities? Shouldn't you feel exuberant over getting Clady at #12 instead of sulking over it?

slim
04-27-2008, 02:01 AM
NO I can't say for sure.. But I do know that he has played against very few quality DE's in the WAC.. The WAC is almost all about Offense..

I do know that Albert was the #1 OG in the draft and Mayock had him strong like #3 or 4 at OLT..

I take what Mikey the bronco says with a grain of salt.. Everyone they DAFT is at the top of their list. What else could they say? Oh we liked Albert better, but thought he would hold out rather than play in DEN!

So you think they picked Clady instead of Albert because "they thought Albert would hold out". Wow....not sure what to say about that. I guess I would say they simply thought Clady was the better player (as did most so called "draft experts").

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 02:04 AM
I guess maybe Kuper can play LT while Clady is becoming acclimated to the pro game.

Kuper-Hamilton-Nalen-Holland-Clady

Eventually...
Clady-Hamilton-Nalen-Holland-Kuper

I think we should get Zuttah and a Clemson OL too. I worry Hamilton and or Nalen wont last the season.

Now we don't even know how Kuper will do at the LT spot. That's why we drafted the best LT there was. So why pencil Kuper in at LT, a position he's never played at and stick the hot new rookie across away from his intended position. That makes no sense to me.

Nature Boy
04-27-2008, 02:12 AM
Oh we liked Albert better, but thought he would hold out rather than play in DEN!

Where did you hear this? Source please => ???

Don't you think Alberts would have been happier getting drafted at the #12 instead of the #15. There is quite a bit of money going up 3 spots that early in the draft.

shank
04-27-2008, 02:44 AM
Where did you hear this? Source please => ???

Don't you think Alberts would have been happier getting drafted at the #12 instead of the #15. There is quite a bit of money going up 3 spots that early in the draft.

if you just read what he wrote, it's very obvious that it was a theoretical, and sarcastic comment....

i have my doubts about clady, but am doing my best to accept the fact that he was rated the #2 LT by most people, and he very well could have been gone at 5. i had hoped that he would be gone so we could get chris williams and sleep easy knowing that we had a good player.

not i have to toss and turn a bit at night, hoping that clady turns out to be the great LT that many people know he can be.

if he works out, it's nice because now we have a nice competition between kuper, harris, and pears at RT.

i hope harris wins that so that i can win my bet with dogfish lol. not what i expected, but i'll take a technical victory;)

Timmy!
04-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Opening day starting LT= Ryan Clady. You guys can go ahead and quote this in 4 months.

lex
04-27-2008, 02:53 AM
Opening day starting LT= Ryan Clady. You guys can go ahead and quote this in 4 months.

Not exactly going out on a limb especially when Shanahan has been quoted saying as much.

http://broncotalk.net/2008/04/shanahan-and-i-share-a-brain-clady-to-start-from-day-one/

shank
04-27-2008, 02:53 AM

He will start at left offensive tackle the day he comes in. -Mike Shanahan

way to go out on a limb and put your rep at stake with that bold prediction;)

EDIT: 4 seconds too slow!

Superchop 7
04-27-2008, 03:00 AM
Worst draft ever, in the history of the world, LMAO

you guys have 'Every" right to bitch. LMAO

Man, I wish we knew what we were doing. LMAO

( ya know)

(these days we just own it)

Stupid people unite !!

WE HAD A GREAT DAY !

krackback
04-27-2008, 04:23 AM
some guys on this thread are having some sort of psychological reaction to the foster pick years ago. jump the gun much? way to much of the debbie downers whaaa whaaa whaaa.:D time will tell,simer down now.

Timmy!
04-27-2008, 04:26 AM
way to go out on a limb and put your rep at stake with that bold prediction;)

EDIT: 4 seconds too slow!

It's not exactly bold, but some posters aren't buying it ;)

SmilinAssasSin27
04-27-2008, 08:44 AM
I see Albert as the token, "give the readers someone new to talk about guy". "Experts" had him soaring as high as 5. He went in the mid teens. I don't think he was ever an option for us and Williams is due for surgery on his spine and vagina. As much as I liked Otah, most people here wanted OT. I have no real issue w/ Clady.

The one thing that was mentioned by Scar that this does mean is that Shanny got HIS man. No more excuses. All OTs and RBs outside of Long and McF were available at 12 and Shanny went w/ Clady. No excuses. HIS guy was drafted. He better work out.

Nomad
04-27-2008, 09:07 AM
I am a skeptic as Shanahan as a GM! He has proven to be a knucklehead. I do like the draft picks he has chosen and believe they are solid. I see Shanahan concentrating on defense the rest of the draft and getting a solid kicker and maybe a rb. :beer:to a good 2nd day!

NorthernLights
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
I would like to say it is refreshing to see honest and forthcoming opinions being shown on this thread. I've seen several different grades which tells me blind homerism isn't running rampant. I know exactly nothing about any of these kids since I don't follow college football at all, so they are just names and positions to me.

Good luck on the rest of the draft and here's to a great upcoming season. Later.

Nomad
04-27-2008, 09:13 AM
I would like to say it is refreshing to see honest and forthcoming opinions being shown on this thread. I've seen several different grades which tells me blind homerism isn't running rampant. I know exactly nothing about any of these kids since I don't follow college football at all, so they are just names and positions to me.

Good luck on the rest of the draft and here's to a great upcoming season. Later.

It's all opinions at it, so take them with a grain of salt. What the NFL has proven is the best college players can be busts and the no-names can be the best, so we'll see what the future holds. All we can do is support the guys who were selected as BRONCOS and wish them well!

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Clady: A+

Clady is so athletic and such a distinctive fit for our offense that he really seemed predestined to be a Bronco. He's a weird dude and probably not that smart, but I've long maintained that he's the only lineman I'd be comfortable with at #12. I was surprised he slipped to us and I'm happy to have him aboard. Easy pick. Great pick. Clady doesn't need a year to develop. He's been in a ZBS for 3 years already and is NFL ready.

Clady: LT
Kuper: LG
?????: C
Holland: RG
Harris: RT

Looks like our offensive line of the future, no? I like it!

Eddie Royal: C-

Great straight-line speed, average in every other way. He doesn't really have an achilles heel (unless of course, you factor in his compartment syndrome), but he won't be elite at any of the wide receiver positions or in the return game. I'm not very happy about this pick.

Although, he is eerily similar to Rod Smith in a lot of ways. I hope he works every bit as hard Smith did and proves me wrong!

Joel
04-27-2008, 10:43 AM

Robertson doesn't seem like the dominant NT we need (yes, I know we run a 4-3!) He seems like what we hope Marcus Thomas will become, if he keeps his nose clean. With one of the worst run Ds last year, that still seems like a need to me, and I'm still not convinced a talented special teamer (e.g. Keith Burns) is a Pro Bowl MLB (e.g. Al Wilson. ) Together with the depth everyone seems to feel is there at O AND DT that's where I would've started, unless I was afraid my future star MLB would get away if I didn't take him on the first day.

atwater27
04-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I loved the Clady pick, but I rated a C. I personally would have traded down, gotten a 3rd or another second rounder out of it. Staying where we were, Clady was a no brainer. However, the second round pick shocked the hell out of me. I don't have a problem that there were "higher rated" receivers on the board, I just have a problem that there were higher rated defensive tackles, linebackers and safeties that were just sitting there for the taking. We blew our second round pick not because we selected a dud, that remains to be seen. We blew our second round pick because we did nothing to address our most obvious, glaring, gaping problem..... our run defense.

lex
04-27-2008, 10:44 AM
Im changing mine from B to a D-

Hoshdude7
04-27-2008, 10:54 AM
You guys act so surprised that Shanny was unpredictable on draft day.
When will you learn?
:elefant:

Skinny
04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
A solid B. The Royal pick has grown on me.

upindbroncs
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
not a fan of the Royal pick, too high for a 5-10" 180lb WR in this day and age. Too high for a punt returner...hopefully I'm wrong.

upindbroncs
04-27-2008, 11:14 AM
now a center...we must have a GREAT defense.

though a real good center.

Medford Bronco
04-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Without reading the whole thread

I like the Clady thread as it really filled a HUGE need
but the Royal pick has me scratching my head as we had so many issues on defense
last year and could have used help at any postion, DL, LB or safety which to me are bigger needs the WR. Just a small dots take. oh well

I gave it a B minus btw

G_Money
04-27-2008, 11:18 AM
Lichtensteiger - perfect. Love that kid.

Great understudy and replacement for Nalen/Hamilton.

~G

Medford Bronco
04-27-2008, 11:19 AM
now a center...we must have a GREAT defense.

are you kidding me. :mad:

tubby
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Im changing mine from B to a D-

Why? Cause we didn't take Collins in the 2nd round?

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 03:43 PM
So you think they picked Clady instead of Albert because "they thought Albert would hold out". Wow....not sure what to say about that. I guess I would say they simply thought Clady was the better player (as did most so called "draft experts").

I was being facetious..let me repeat it and separate it out a bit, so you can get the humor....

What else could they say? Oh we liked Albert better, but thought he would hold out rather than play in DEN!

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
I see Albert as the token, "give the readers someone new to talk about guy". "Experts" had him soaring as high as 5. He went in the mid teens. I don't think he was ever an option for us and Williams is due for surgery on his spine and vagina. As much as I liked Otah, most people here wanted OT. I have no real issue w/ Clady.

The one thing that was mentioned by Scar that this does mean is that Shanny got HIS man. No more excuses. All OTs and RBs outside of Long and McF were available at 12 and Shanny went w/ Clady. No excuses. HIS guy was drafted. He better work out.

My original compliant was if Albert had been taken and did not pan out at OLT where he was drafted for play he could always become a pro bowl OG.. Whereas clady is a pure OLT can play no where else.. NO flexibility..

BTW mikey has stated there were 3 OL guys they were looking at for this position.. clady, Albert and Williams..

Your correct he has also stated that he will be the starter THIS year.. this DAFT made be the albatross that hangs mikey forever in DEN hall of shame..

He has no one he can blame anymore they are all his guys, all the personnel HE wanted in the various positions of responsibility underneath him..

NO MORE EXCUSES, NO more scape goats..

Lonestar
04-27-2008, 04:00 PM
You guys act so surprised that Shanny was unpredictable on draft day.
When will you learn?
:elefant:

Hope springs eternal after two good drafts the last couple of years..

Now it seems he had no one to keep him in check and focused on players we needed to fill gaping holes..

HE's BACK the DAFT KING..

BroncoJoe
04-27-2008, 04:06 PM

Now it seems he had no one to keep him in check and focused on players we needed to fill gaping holes..

:tsk: :coffee:

nevcraw
04-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Too late. I have quoted it for posterity. I'd worry about Hilliard's injury history myself, but a hometown boy on my team......I'd be psyched.

OH well.. Miami snuck in there and snagged Lex..

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Here are my draft grades by pick:

Clady: A+
Royal: C-
Lichtensteiger: A
Williams: B
Torain: C-
Powell: D
Larsen: C
Barrett: A+
Hillis: A

Overall: B

We accomplished a lot. Pretty good draft.

TXBRONC
04-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I don't understand why there is some head scratching here we did trade Robertson something that many were high on. And we have Marcus Thomas who is up and coming.

r8rh8r
04-27-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't understand why there is some head scratching here we did trade Robertson something that many were high on. And we have Marcus Thomas who is up and coming.

I'm less-than-enamored with Powell and would have liked a pair of DT prospects. We have a talented set of starters but good teams generally use a rotation. Dumervil will see some time in that DT rotation on 3rd and long and we've got two more bodies. We're okay at DT but Robertson is suddenly a critical success factor next year.

Good draft! Especially rounds 1, 4, and 7!

Broncospsycho77
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM

Why so pessimistic?

Let's at least let the guys put on a freakin' uniform before we criticize them. The season's a long way away... anything could happen...

JONtheBRONCO
04-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Rotoworld.com:

Denver Broncos
Grade: B+

Denver did a great job finding need players that fit their scheme. They had to be thrilled the second best tackle in the draft was still on the board in Ryan Clady. He fits their zone scheme better than Jake Long would anyway. Eddie Royal has extra value on returns and could develop as a rugged complement to Brandon Marshall in the mold of Ed McCaffrey.

TXBRONC
04-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Rotoworld.com:

Denver Broncos
Grade: B+

Denver did a great job finding need players that fit their scheme. They had to be thrilled the second best tackle in the draft was still on the board in Ryan Clady. He fits their zone scheme better than Jake Long would anyway. Eddie Royal has extra value on returns and could develop as a rugged complement to Brandon Marshall in the mold of Ed McCaffrey.

At this point I would give Denver a grade of B. I would bet the first thing Denver looked at was his return ability. He can make immediate impact as return man while he learns how to play wide receiver in this offense.

TXBRONC
04-27-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm less-than-enamored with Powell and would have liked a pair of DT prospects. We have a talented set of starters but good teams generally use a rotation. Dumervil will see some time in that DT rotation on 3rd and long and we've got two more bodies. We're okay at DT but Robertson is suddenly a critical success factor next year.

I think you're mistaken about Dumervil seeing time at defensive tackle.

LRtagger
04-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Can we trade our draft with Chicago's?

Joel
04-28-2008, 08:18 AM

I frankly can't see it; the knock on him I've always seen on boards is at 250 he's "too light" to match up with elite blocking, and becomes a liability against powerful backs. I'm not so sure, and still see him keep racking up sacks, but a 250 DT? Maybe with Crowder, like we did (and possibly will again) with Ekuban, but they're both up around or over 270. Big difference in style and effect. Kenard Lang was a good pass rusher, but a gaping hole in run D.

That's actually part of the problem with guys like Marcus Thomas, Alvin McKinley and Dewayne Robertson. They're all versatile, quick guys who could be a devastating UT rotation for some time, but most are barely over 300. We value speed on D, and I get that, but I still say, as I have for several years, we need to get a solid ANCHOR at DT in the form of a prototypical NT. Ideally, since this is the position likely to fatigue and wear the most and fastest, we'd get 2+ in case one doesn't pan out or we lose him. Any questions on the matter should be directed to our dismal rushing D last year, which made our passing D first irrelevant and then vulnerable.

The only real question for me was whether it was more important than Lepsis' successor (since no one can replace him) or a stud MLB prospect for similar strength and depth (e.g. a talented rookie MLB could play SLB until he adjusted to the Pros, and we wouldn't HAVE to have greatness from Niko all season or pull D.J. back and open the WLB. ) Most seem to feel that LT was the most important; Shanny does, and while I'd normally debate it, with the added factors of a talented young offense and a franchise QB at his careers start, I can agree. HOWEVER--that's taken care of now. After the first taking NT in a deep DT class seemed like a no brainer, especially with Rivers off the board at LB. Mind, it could be worse; last year I was psyched to see Warren with a pay cut and incentive contract, Adams and the 6th rounder trade for former 1st round pick Kennedy... then we cut all but Adams, and Warren gets a safety on Cutler for the Raiders. We freaking traded a 6th round pick for a guy we cut before the season. I'm not saying Shanny or anyone else is nuts, but that at least seems dubious.

I feel a little better, at least on offense, because the line looks like it's set a while, and Cutler and the WRs are set better. On defense nothing's changed though, and while Denver has a fine tradition (albeit not with zone blocking... ) of being the Comeback Kid with the deep bomb, those many Denver teams got beaten in the end as well. Pass D is ultimately the most important if you're good, because you have to STOP the comeback (ala SB XXXII. ) But, essentially, without a run D, your offense must be very VERY good, so good you score so much it takes the running game off the table. Otherwise it's back to the same old thing: It doesn't help to score if you just give it back again, and if you do that all the time your offense will stall every now and then and get you beat. I understand we want to get the passer, but we need SOMETHING solid to focus the D over the ball like the center. A foundation to a wall, manned by the powerful DEs and from which they and the fast LBs sortie to blitz the pass and run. And we need it all the time, so that means we need two of them. They can double team short yardage and/or goal line, too, but mostly they'll play with our other deep talent at DT beside them, alternately surging toward the rush or charging toward the passer.

Oh, well.... We'll see what happens; there's another round of FA (though we haven't signed these guys... ) and most likely trades. I can't say, "yea" or "nay" till we see in the fall....

Retired_Member_001
04-28-2008, 08:22 AM

Exactly.

Marcus Thomas is a very good DT prospect if he can keep the drugs in check. Dewayne Roberton's health is a major question, but if the guy can remain healthy for at least more than half the season, I'll be happy.

BigDaddyBronco
04-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Exactly.

Marcus Thomas is a very good DT prospect if he can keep the drugs in check. Dewayne Roberton's health is a major question, but if the guy can remain healthy for at least more than half the season, I'll be happy.
I think we are better at DT than we were at the end of the season, but with Robertson's knee being a deginerative condition I would have loved them to draft Dre Moore in the 4th for the future.

Who knows though, Powell could turn out great and Moore could be useless. Plus there are still more FA's out there if we need a stop gap.