Lonestar
04-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Apr 21, 2010 5:00 am US/Mountain
Bronco Gives Back To Athletes On 4 Wheels
Written by Brooke Wagner
Text 4broncos to 66247 sign up for CBS4 Broncos text alerts More Info
Reporting
Brooke Wagner DENVER (CBS4) ―

The Broncos' Lonie Paxton is one of the most successful long snappers the NFL has ever seen. With the Patriots, he won three Super Bowl rings. Last year he signed a healthy contract with the Broncos and is heading into his second season. But Paxton is just as proud of his job off the field -- working with Active Force Foundation. His passion is a state-of-the-art mountain bike, designed for physically challenged athletes.

"Our foundation was started so we could create updated equipment, fun equipment, cool equipment," Paxton said.

For years, Paxton has been working to take the bikes to the people who need them so they can enjoy mountain biking as much as anyone. Active Force's inspiration and co-founder is Paxton's high school buddy, Brook Duquesnel. Duquesnel broke his back in a snowboarding accident more than 10 years ago. Despite his paralysis, Duquesnel wasn't ready to leave active sports.

"I needed an outlet to keep riding," Duquesnel said. "I approached Lonie and told him my idea. He had just gotten into the NFL, so it made sense for us to work together."

Lonie Paxton, whose full first name is Leonidas, is a fan of tradition. He's the 18th man in his family to carry the Leonidas name. Now, he hopes to start new traditions for people who are physically challenged. Active Force hosts mountain biking camps for wounded military personnel, police officers, firefighters, and physically challenged children.

"Everyone's on two wheels ... but we're going down the same things (on four wheels), having the same amount of fun," Paxton said.

The bikes are expensive. They cost up to $10,000 each to build. Paxton said Active Force is lucky to have a "whiz kid" engineer on staff to build and perfect the prototypes.

"To try to get that equipment on your own and do it on your own, it's pretty far-fetched," Paxton said.

That's where Active Force comes in, touring the most mountainous regions of the West, with six bikes and a trailer. Paxton and Duqeusnel work tirelessly to recruit corporate sponsors, so they can take the rides to more people. They're on the road to their greatest goal.

"Having these boundaries erased with this vehicle and getting your parents, the kid, the soldier, maybe an athlete ... all on these bikes ... and creating an even playing field for everyone," Paxton said.

Paxton believes there's no better place for him to build Active Force than Colorado.

"I'm coming down to the final stretch of my career ... and to have something I can build off of, and use the local community, and the military, and the mountains to build this foundation, I think it was a blessing in disguise," Paxton said.

Active Force Foundation will host a Draft Day party at Brunswick Zone in Lone Tree on Thursday. Broncos and Army Wounded Warriors will attend the fundraiser. For more information, visit the Active Force Foundation Web sit (http://www.activeforcefoundation.org/)e.

broncophan
04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Nice story.....thanks for posting.....

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
04-21-2010, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure we talked about this months ago.