PDA

View Full Version : That Ravens D and Special Teams is Incredible!

omac
09-10-2007, 08:51 PM
That Cincinatti team can easily make most teams look silly. The Ravens defense have the right amount of pressure and coverage. No bad tackling. Great at reading the offense. Great open field tackles. Great at converging to the ball. Just great at making plays as well as all the basic, fundamental stuff. Incredible.

And their special teams is incredible too.

The only thing they really lack is an explosive offense, but they're at least way more consistent here than the Bears.

SR
09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I don't care for the Ravens, but their D is remarkable.

omac
09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Ack, they made a risky offensive play and Cincinatti made them pay. That was a stupid call. They only needed 1 yard for a first down, and they have the defense to maintain a one point lead. Why risk throwing and stopping the clock, when they could've kept it on the ground and make time tick away? :confused:

SR
09-10-2007, 09:07 PM
What happened after Baltimore got the pass interference on Cinci's two-point try?

omac
09-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Cincy scored the two pointer; I think Houshmanzadah.

I really don't like the offensive play calls of Baltimore. They had 4 downs to make the endzone, they used the 1st to get pretty close, then they passed twice. Why? Just ram it down! Why get cute, specially when they didn't use have their main QB? Good throw by Boller, but risky, and it bounced off the receivers chest for an interception. That close, 4 downs, just ram the ball down. They're not playing the Bears anyway. Poor, poor, poor playcalling.

omac
09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Baltimore's offensive execution late in the game was not bad, but the playcalling by the coach on that ended 2 drives were very iffy. On the 1st, they had a 1 point lead and their defense was playing really well. They only needed a yard or so, and I think it was only 2nd down. Instead of running it (twice if needed) and using up clock, they went for a pass and they were in their own territory. Because of the interception, Cincy scored. Must never give Cincy field possition; way too good. And Baltimore's special teams were playing so well too.

The 2nd was when they were goal to go, with Boller as the QB. They threw a TD pass which was ruled offensive interference, even though the replay showed that if there was any interference, it should've been called on Cincy, as Jaworski pointed out. Ten yard penalty. Then the official makes a probable "make-up call", giving Baltimore 4 downs to punch it into the endzone. After the first good surge, why go with 2 passes? That's why you got McGahee, right? 2nd pass was risky but on target, bounced off the receivers chest, and intercepted. Why, why, why, why, why? Why get cute, their offense is designed for the bruising stuff. I can understand if you were the Colts or Cincy, or even Denver with their misdirection and rollouts, but you're Baltimore. :confused: Billick's a great coach, but this one's on him.

GEM
09-10-2007, 10:52 PM
So McNair finally got benched? Geez, I was listening to the game on the way home from work and it sounded like he was TERRIBLE!! I was wondering how long they would keep him in.

WhoDey
09-10-2007, 11:18 PM
So McNair finally got benched? Geez, I was listening to the game on the way home from work and it sounded like he was TERRIBLE!! I was wondering how long they would keep him in.

Actually, McNair was pretty good. He was making excellent decisions. The turnovers weren't all his fault.

Their offensive line was having trouble handling our pass rush, and our defense was causing the turnovers with strips and heads-up tip drill type plays. The D was ON POINT tonight. They couldn't run the ball well against us for the most part.

Our playcalling was stupid on offense, except for a few rare exceptions. I personally hated the underneath calls they were making. That stuff never goes anywhere against a defense that good. And our special teams were atrocious all night.

At least we won! :beer:

Cleveland Rocks
09-10-2007, 11:35 PM

Good, because next week you're going to be embarrassed when the Browns beat ya.

omac
09-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Actually, McNair was pretty good. He was making excellent decisions. The turnovers weren't all his fault.

Their offensive line was having trouble handling our pass rush, and our defense was causing the turnovers with strips and heads-up tip drill type plays. The D was ON POINT tonight. They couldn't run the ball well against us for the most part.

Our playcalling was stupid on offense, except for a few rare exceptions. I personally hated the underneath calls they were making. That stuff never goes anywhere against a defense that good. And our special teams were atrocious all night.

Yup on both counts ... McNair played well, but Cincy's D really stepped up. Baltimore's D played really well, but because of stops on their offense, Cincy just got the ball way too many times for a team of their offensive caliber. Congrats on a good, hard-earned win. :salute:

McNair had an injury, so he took himself out. If he could play, I'm sure he would've. He's played with broken bones in his body on several occasions, so his toughness and willingness to do everything for his team can't be questioned.

Boller actually did a pretty good job as a replacement; I just didn't like the play-calling.

omac
09-11-2007, 12:46 AM

Well, I'd be embarrassed if we were beaten by the Browns .... just kidding, couldn't resist. :beer:

WhoDey
09-11-2007, 01:31 AM

I hope you have plenty of ketchup and mustard for those words of yours, because you'll be eating them next week.

Lose to the Browns? That's un-possible.

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Lose to the Browns? That's un-possible.

Un-possible?

Inventing words - eh?

WhoDey
09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Un-possible?

Inventing words - eh?

There isn't a word in the English language that sufficiently describes how badly the Bengals are going to embarrass the Browns. It simply doesn't exist.

In the meantime, I bent my wookiee!

http://animatedtv.about.com/library/graphics/ralphnose.jpg