PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan likes draft options at offensive tackle

Lonestar
04-25-2008, 02:35 PM
Mike Shanahan, as expected, offered few clues Friday about whom the Broncos' first-round draft pick will be Saturday.

But he strongly hinted who it won't be: the invisible man.

Nearly every draft, the Broncos select players with whom they've not spoken face-to-face, leaving their No. 1 utterly shocked once the phone rings on draft day and it's the Broncos calling.

Jay Cutler and D.J. Williams are two prime examples of the double-secret-probation approach.

But Shanahan said the undercover operation was a necessary evil, in most cases.

Given the team's draft positioning this year, he insisted it's a surer bet they'll have spoken with their eventual choices this time around.

"That has been our philosophy," Shanahan said of the usual silent treatment. "This year's a little bit different. When you're picking the mid-20s, lower 20s or 30s, you don't want anybody to know, or give away your hand. But we're picking 12. I'm not very happy with the pick, obviously, but when you do have that pick, you at least have some idea who might be there. Therefore you do talk to more people, more players, than you did when you're in the mid-20s."

Two of the Broncos' potential first-round targets at offensive tackle, Boise State's Ryan Clady and Vanderbilt's Chris Williams, were among the 30 visitors allotted each team to its facility for pre-draft interviews.

Also coming through the door was Boston College's Gosder Cherilus, a potential second-round target at the position with overall pick No. 42.

Illinois running back Rashard Mendenhall, one of the top offensive prospects and a potential target at 12th overall, also came through Dove Valley.

So maybe Shanahan is being forthright this time around.

Or maybe he isn't, since double-speak was palpable, and understandable, at his pre-draft news conference, where saying nothing is the ultimate goal.

There were a few items that could be cleanly disseminated from Shanahan.

Foremost: He's high on the offensive tackle group.

The question is whether a player like Virginia's Branden Albert or Pittsburgh's Jeff Otah is worth the first-round pick or waiting is the prudent choice in a deep position.

"The question is," Shanahan said, "do you value somebody in the second round that's pretty close to somebody in the first round, so do you go a different direction in the first round? That's the kind of question every team looks at."

One of those "other" directions could be running back, where not only Mendenhall but Oregon's Jonathan Stewart might be too good to pass up.
"Would we be interested in a running back? Sure we would," Shanahan said. "It all depends on who's there. And you take the look at the value of some of these running backs in the draft, I think it'll be one of the better drafts for running backs. There's good value in the first round. But there's good value in the second round. And there's so many running backs there might be value in the sixth and seventh round, depending on who you have targeted."

And the Broncos have plenty of second-day picks this year - seven, including two each in the fourth, fifth and seventh rounds.

It's a stark contrast to last season, when the team ended up with only four overall selections.

"We think there's big-time value in the fourth and fifth round," Shanahan said. "You can get guys that really help the football team."

It will be the first test under the new power structure in the Broncos front office, with player personnel chief Jim Goodman and his son and assistant general manager, Jeff, taking on more prominent roles in the wake of Ted Sundquist's exit as GM.

The group will have to be on point, especially this year, considering the reduced time period allotted teams between picks - 10 minutes in the first round, seven in the second round and five minutes per team thereafter.

Not that Shanahan is concerned.

"Jeff and Jim have been here," the coach said. "Jim's in charge of the draft. He can talk about every guy just like that. He's on the road all year. He's got a chance to organize it the way he wants and do the things he wants to do. And he's done a heck of a job with it."

Overall, Shanahan added he's expecting a "typical" first day of the draft league-wide as far as movement. Denver's war-room staff already has gone over such scenarios as far as player availability and potential movement and gauged the temperature for trades league-wide so there will be no last-minute surprises.

"It's the same thing we've always done," he said. "We have a game plan and we're going to try and execute."

Sounds to me like mikey seting up next years scape goat to me..

Retired_Member_001
04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I get the feeling we WON'T be drafting an offensive tackle.

Shanahan is trying to throw us off again.

MOtorboat
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM

:mad:

Retired_Member_001
04-25-2008, 02:42 PM

Well in my book we should go Offensive Tackle or Running back. The problem is I
KNOW Shanahan is looking at receivers.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah, because praising Jim Goodman is the beginning of of the end for him. JFC.

WARHORSE
04-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Sounds to me like mikey seting up next years scape goat to me..

Who was it he blamed for the past drafts again?

Remind us.:coffee:

Npba900
04-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Well in my book we should go Offensive Tackle or Running back. The problem is I
KNOW Shanahan is looking at receivers.

You know WooK, when I think about it Denver is in a great position to go with the best OT available and then go try and get the RB Matt Forte of Tulane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bbaIF22NGQ

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=matt+forte+running+back+&search_type=

Lonestar
04-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Who was it he blamed for the past drafts again?

Remind us.:coffee:

I do not think he has ever blamed anyone as they were all great ones atleast in his mind.. Since he was the decider in them all.. He calls the shots..

This year he has primed the pump with his comment

"Jeff and Jim have been here," the coach said. "Jim's in charge of the draft. He can talk about every guy just like that. He's on the road all year. He's got a chance to organize it the way he wants and do the things he wants to do. And he's done a heck of a job with it."

G_Money
04-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I had a dream. Here's how the first three rounds of our draft fell out.

1st round - Chris Williams. Gotta protect that bajillion dollar investment in Cutler.
2nd round - J-Stew. He falls because of Toe surgery and we snatch him up.
4th round - Mario Manningham. Druggie, liar...why not? Sounds like our kind of cat.

I wouldn't cry too hard if that happened. ;)

I'm just damn happy that TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY. I've been waiting for an eternity these last 8 weeks for this day to get here. Stupid long-ass wait til the draft...

~G

DenBronx
04-25-2008, 03:34 PM
well, we know shanahans either going to draft a ot or rb with pick 12. if clady is gone then i think he goes mendenhall/stewart at 12 and looks for cherilus at 42.

Retired_Member_001
04-25-2008, 03:36 PM

1st round - Chris Williams. Gotta protect that bajillion dollar investment in Cutler.
4th round - Mario Manningham. Druggie, liar...why not? Sounds like our kind of cat.

I'm just damn happy that TOMORROW IS THE FIRST DAY. I've been waiting for an eternity these last 8 weeks for this day to get here. Stupid long-ass wait til the draft...

~G

A dream about the draft?

Wow, you must really be excited.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
I've had about a dozen dreams about the draft over the past month or so, and it's crazy. I've been waiting a full year for this. Not sure what I'm going to do tonight, but I have to pass the time somehow. I'm going nuts.

DenBronx
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
stewarts not going to fall to 42....even with toe surgery. no way in hell.

Ziggy
04-25-2008, 04:00 PM
:D

~G

If only dreams really did come true........if only.

nevcraw
04-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Dream[/B];217174]I've had about a dozen dreams about the draft over the past month or so, and it's crazy. I've been waiting a full year for this. Not sure what I'm going to do tonight, but I have to pass the time somehow. I'm going nuts.

You? it doesn't amke any sense..

nevcraw
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
I've had about a dozen dreams about the draft over the past month or so, and it's crazy. I've been waiting a full year for this. Not sure what I'm going to do tonight, but I have to pass the time somehow. I'm going nuts.

You? it doesn't make any sense..

Nature Boy
04-25-2008, 04:37 PM
"The question is," Shanahan said, "do you value somebody in the second round that's pretty close to somebody in the first round, so do you go a different direction in the first round? That's the kind of question every team looks at." .....

It will be the first test under the new power structure in the Broncos front office, with player personnel chief Jim Goodman and his son and assistant general manager, Jeff, taking on more prominent roles in the wake of Ted Sundquist's exit as GM.

I guess Shanny's got 4 OTs clumped into the same caliber level and he might wait til the 2nd round to get 1. Sounds like a plan to me.

Best player available would be smart, not necessarily an OT and I'm hoping he wont use a #12 on a RB. Great value in RBs in the mid rounds too, ie Jamaal Charles.

I guess Sundquist got the boot cause our drafts have been so bad the last 6-7 years. He's pretty much out of scapegoats now.

I cant' wait til tomorrow.

underrated29
04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
I have had 2 dreams about the daft, one we took dmac and traded back in for stewart after that i was supposed to be the guy who announces the picks we selected. when i went up to announce it somone shot me in the face with a slingshot and i ended up in the zoo.

The other one we took stewie and traded him to someone for something.......i realy dont remember and am sure you dont care..

Point is as much as i hate to say it, we are talking clady!

Everything leads up to this. Shanny said harris is better than clady-smoke

we have adressed every need but rb and OT and shanny said he wished for dallas or someone elses Oline.

It will be someone we talked too, but right now we only brought rashard in as a rb, stewart we did not, and he is our #1. So that leaves clady as a person we talked too and brought in.

Its going to be clady and i am going to be mad.

Requiem / The Dagda
04-25-2008, 04:46 PM
You? it doesn't make any sense..

Oh. . . :( *sniffs* I guess I'm delusional. :beer: :D

LRtagger
04-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Cry? I would be shitting myself :eek:

Hoshdude7
04-25-2008, 07:13 PM

Looking for somthing fun to do? Play this free fun MMORPG football game!

http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=2221781

LOL

Davii
04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

So maybe he gets an OT, there is no better way for him to throw us off and fool all of us than by doing exactly what he says.

Scarface
04-25-2008, 09:02 PM

I had a vivid dream last night that we took Clady. Weird, considering he's not my first choice at OT but I wouldn't be mad. Also weird,....cause I had a dream about the draft.

Edit: I posted this before I realized I wasn't the only one who had a draft dream.:laugh:

Simple Jaded
04-25-2008, 09:14 PM
"Jeff and Jim have been here," Shanahan said. "Jim's in charge of the draft. He can talk about every guy just like that. He's on the road all year. He's got a chance to organize it the way he wants and do the things he wants to do. And he's done a heck of a job with it."

Sounds like he's already planting the seeds for yet another Scapegoating......

Scarface
04-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I had a vivid dream last night that we took Clady.

This creeped out some of my friends btw. :lol: